PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Rice rips Marshall

crowebomber
09-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Per FOX:

Jerry Rice saw the same clip everybody else did:

Brandon Marshall walking while his teammates ran.

Brandon Marshall punting a ball he should've handed to the ball boy.

Brandon Marshall dropping passes on purpose.

"That's something you don't do," Rice said Monday morning. "You don't drop footballs. What if your teammates see you do something like that?"

Suffice it to characterize Rice's reaction as offended disbelief.

"I never thought it would come to this," he said.

By "it," he means the state of wide receiver-dom, something he takes very seriously. "I don't think the love of the game is there anymore. It's all about me, me, me and getting that big payday ... Things have gotten out of hand with the wide receivers."

The position has a deserved reputation for having the flakiest, most selfish and egocentric players in all of American sports. And Marshall, whose antics earned him a suspension for the duration of the preseason, isn't even the latest in the parade that began more than a decade ago with Keyshawn "Gimme the Damn Ball" Johnson. Already, there are knuckleheads lined up to take his place, beginning with Michael Crabtree, who's still pissed off he wasn't picked in the top five.

"When I came in the league it was about earning your money, justifying your job," said Rice. "I always believed once you sign a contract, you're obligated to it. Or you work it out in-house. Michael Crabtree wants the money up front — before he ever puts on the uniform."

Don't mistake Rice's reservations for resentful ravings of a retired man. He's fully aware of, say, Larry Fitzgerald's old-school virtue. But he also knows that for every Larry Fitzgerald, there's a T.O. or an Ochocinco or a Plaxico, or, before his improbable second act with the Patriots, a Randy Moss. Wide receiver is the new reality show, a production infected with pathological narcissism.

"We're divas now," Rice said wistfully.

The NFL's all-time touchdown leader, Rice had 1,549 catches and 22,895 yards (almost four and a half perilous miles by my calculation) spread over 20 seasons. While some players brag about their thousand-yard seasons, Rice got a thousand (in just 10 games) on Deion Sanders alone. Rice is more than the best receiver in history. Given the fact that Jim Brown played just nine seasons, he's arguably the best player.

That's not to say he couldn't be selfish. Or ego-driven. In fact, he had to be. They all do.

To do the job properly, one must reconcile himself with the certainty of the blindside hit, with the defender's intent to decapitate. You must need the ball, as the need has to outweigh any fear or doubt. (In that respect, I understand, even admire, Keyshawn's self-proclaimed ethos. I'll always give him that: he never cared about the hitter, only the ball).

"It takes a special man to tell himself, 'I'm going to catch this ball no matter what, no matter the guy trying to take my head off,' " said Rice. "You have to be willing to jeopardize your body. You have to want the football, and you have to want it when everything is on the line. Like Michael Jordan in basketball. A receiver has got to be like that.

"You have to be selfish."

The issue, then, is the expression of that selfishness. "I demanded the ball in game situations," recalled Rice. "But I didn't tell Joe Montana or Steve Young to throw me the ball. They could tell just from my body language. You don't distract the team."

You don't drop passes in practice. You don't embarrass yourself. And that's what so many of these guys have become: embarrassments.

The Brandon Marshall case seems particularly galling to Rice. He saw Marshall up close, just a couple of months ago at Fitzgerald's training camp for receivers in Minnesota.

"I didn't realize the kid was that big," said Rice. "And unbelievably talented."

Rice had a little aptitude for the position as well. But the greatest component of his talent — like Jordan's — was the ability to work harder, longer and more precisely than the other talented guys.

"It was all about technique to me," he recalled. "You don't see that anymore at the wide receiver position."

Such insistence on technique was partly born of necessity. In 1985, when Rice was a rookie, defensive backs were still allowed to manhandle receivers, bumping and chucking them all over the field.

Perhaps the new generation of receivers have been emboldened by the rules. I wonder if they'd talk so much if they were hit like, say, running backs?

Rice considered the question, but only for a moment. "Nah," he said. "Guys like Ocho and Terrell Owens still would've been the same."

And here, Rice finally seized on an explanation, or at least the beginnings of one. Perhaps it's not the players who have changed so much as the coaches who've indulged their expensive vanities.

Brandon Marshall, he figures, wouldn't have dared to drop balls under Bill Walsh.

There'd be no suspension, said Rice. "He'd have been on the first Greyhound home."

Bronco LB52
09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/250811.jpg

Cool Breeze
09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Gotta love Jerry Rice!!!

Broncoman13
09-01-2009, 11:21 AM
22,000 + yards is a lot more than 4.5 miles dipdong!

PRBronco
09-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Good article :)

MileHighMagic
09-01-2009, 11:23 AM
I hope our idiot WR hears about this article.

SouthStndJunkie
09-01-2009, 11:24 AM

I think it is a little over 13 miles.

Rohirrim
09-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Listen to the man, Brandon.

WolfpackGuy
09-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Whoever wrote that is a dumbass. He should try 13 miles.

TheDave
09-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Normally when the greatest WR to ever play the game calls you out, it would leave some sort of impression.

With Brandon... I doubt it.

Cool Breeze
09-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm waiting for the Rastaman spin...

Smiling Assassin27
09-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Jerry did, on occasion, cry to the media about not getting the ball. But on the practice field, the guy was a legend. Watching clips of him in practice, he would catch a slant in a drill and, though everyone else was catching, making a first move, and getting back in line, Jerry would catch, make a first move, and sprint to the endzone on EVERY rep. There aren't too many WR's that are justified in giving advice to others about the position but Jerry Rice is #1 on that list...and probably #2 as well.

HILife
09-01-2009, 11:43 AM

lol good catch. In the guys defense, I think he was thinking 22,000 feet.

DrFate
09-01-2009, 11:43 AM
feet != yards

Bronco LB52
09-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Jerry did, on occasion, cry to the media about not getting the ball.

He also took Steve Largent's number out of retirement when he went to Seattle. He was a diva, too. He was just more subtle about it.

Rohirrim
09-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Normally when the greatest WR to ever play the game calls you out, it would leave some sort of impression.

If Rod Smith couldn't get Brandon's head straight, I doubt that words from Jerry will do it.

TailgateNut
09-01-2009, 11:51 AM

He's currently hitting his BONG!

SonOfLe-loLang
09-01-2009, 11:52 AM
I keep forgetting Jerry Rice wore a broncos uni..even if it was just in the preseason

rastaman
09-01-2009, 11:53 AM

Okay Summer Breeze....here's Rasta's spin:

Jerry Rice's comments aside. Ready to play for Brandon does not mean he plays at his 07 & 08 caliber of play! For one, he may not want to do it out of protest over his contract. Second, the offense is in such disarray and the caliber of Qb play is a big drop off since Cutler was traded, Marshall couldn't duplicate his 07 & 08 seasons of production even if he wanted to!

All Brandon needs to do is run good routes and catch the catchable passes, look for someone to hit and allow one person to tackle him on every play....and he can't get suspended by that method of play; and he still gets paid. Its not like playing at his 07 and 08 levels of excitment and determinatiion where it took 2 or 3 players to bring him down.

He can go back to allowing 2 or 3 players to bring him down when Denver or another team are ready to pay him at least "Roddy White" type salary. Mean while, expect "Randy Moss" type of production out of Bmarsh when Moss was with Oakland and stinking up he joint.

So what good would it do to suspend Marshall out of frustration and b/c he couldn't duplicate his 07 & 08 seasons. How stupid is that idea!!

Meanwhile, when reporters interview him about his contract and his situation in Denver......Brandon can continue to reply "My agent and I are looking forward to leaving Denver and making a trade happen".....what can you do about that strategy

Remember, Bmarsh isn't the type of player you rebuild a team around. He's most effective and impactful on a team surrounded by talent, has a top 5 QB throwing the ball to him and on a team ready to win immediately.

Now of course Brandon will make a great scapegoat and a human target for a fan depository of frustration-hate-and smear. But when the dust all settles, we will all find out Denvers problems are more than just Brandon not returning to 07 an 08 productions.

Lastly about Jerry Rice comments. Lets remember Rice never had the likes of Orton or Simms throwing him the ball when he was in his prime. Rice had the luxury of having two consecutive HOF QB's throwing him the ball.
Orton-Simms don't equal Montana-Young. Not to mention Rice played on a team surrounded by talent!!! So had Rice found himself in the situation talent-team wise as Bmarsh finds himself in, maybe his attitude may have been different. After all we are talking over 20 years ago.

BroncoMan4ever
09-01-2009, 11:56 AM

hell when the greatest receiver in FRANCHISE history tries to help you grow a brain it should leave an impression.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Rice played for Denver? I have forgotten that already.

BlaK-Argentina
09-01-2009, 12:03 PM
hell when the greatest receiver in FRANCHISE history tries to help you grow a brain it should leave an impression.

If you think Marshall gave a **** about what Rod had to say, you're crazy.

Bronx33
09-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Brandon could read it ten times and not learn a thing.

DomCasual
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM

:) That's pretty funny.

If we were Canadians, we wouldn't have those mistakes.

jutang
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
What I don't understand from Marshall is at this point he is costing himself millions. His entire gripe is about being paid and now with his tantrums and unprofessional behavior he's not going be paid like a top 5 receiver anymore... unless Al Davis is writing the check.

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2009, 12:52 PM

He'd have to, because I'd be suprised if he can read once and understand it.

Popcorn Sutton
09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
So what good would it do to suspend Marshall out of frustration and b/c he couldn't duplicate his 07 & 08 seasons. How stupid is that idea!!

You can't suspend a player because he is playing poorly so I guess it's a pretty damn stupid idea.

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
All Brandon needs to do is run good routes and catch the catchable passes, look for someone to hit and allow one person to tackle him on every play....and he can't get suspended by that method of play; and he still gets paid. Its not like playing at his 07 and 08 levels of excitment and determinatiion where it took 2 or 3 players to bring him down.

I am not one to name call, but you just dropped to complete loser in my book. You and Marshall deserve each other.

AbileneBroncoFan
09-01-2009, 01:00 PM

Jerry Rice's comments aside. Ready to play for Brandon does not mean he plays at his 07 & 08 caliber of play! For one, he may not want to do it out of protest over his contract. Second, the offense is in such disarray and the caliber of Qb play is a big drop off since Cutler was traded, Marshall couldn't duplicate his 07 & 08 seasons of production even if he wanted to!

He can go back to allowing 2 or 3 players to bring him down when Denver or another team are ready to pay him at least "Roddy White" type salary. Mean while, expect "Randy Moss" type of production out of Bmarsh when Moss was with Oakland and stinking up he joint.

Meanwhile, when reporters interview him about his contract and his situation in Denver......Brandon can continue to reply "My agent and I are looking forward to leaving Denver and making a trade happen".....what can you do about that strategy

Remember, Bmarsh isn't the type of player you rebuild a team around. He's most effective and impactful on a team surrounded by talent, has a top 5 QB throwing the ball to him and on a team ready to win immediately.

Now of course Brandon will make a great scapegoat and a human target for a fan depository of frustration-hate-and smear. But when the dust all settles, we will all find out Denvers problems are more than just Brandon not returning to 07 an 08 productions.

Lastly about Jerry Rice comments. Lets remember Rice never had the likes of Orton or Simms throwing him the ball when he was in his prime. Rice had the luxury of having two consecutive HOF QB's throwing him the ball.
Orton-Simms don't equal Montana-Young. Not to mention Rice played on a team surrounded by talent!!! So had Rice found himself in the situation talent-team wise as Bmarsh finds himself in, maybe his attitude may have been different. After all we are talking over 20 years ago.

This could quite possibly be the dumbest post I have ever read. If he is not going play 100% he should be replaced by someone who will, period, end of story. Say what you want about this man, but the fact of the matter is, he is a quitter. I've already said this on some other threads regarding certain players on our team recently, but I'll say it again: "Winners never quit and quitters never win." -Vince Lombardi. You do the math on whether or not he should be on the field with the game on the line.

LittleFloyd
09-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Who would read it to him?

atomicbloke
09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
These SOBs don't realize what poor role models they are for the youth in our society. Millions of kids in America look up to these people for inspiration.

I cringe at the thought of my kids wanting to be clowns like Marshall when they grow up. I wish they had more role models like Rod Smith and Jerry Rice.

Mr.Meanie
09-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Watching the Vikings/Texans game last night, I thought BMarsh has the talent and size to become Andre Johnson if he really wanted. He would be incredible.

Unfortunately, he'll probably go down the path Rastaman is recommending, and be an absolute waste of talent...in the process costing himself millions of dollars and the shot at being one of the best ever. Sad, really.

TailgateNut
09-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Watching the Vikings/Texans game last night, I thought BMarsh has the talent and size to become Andre Johnson if he really wanted. He would be incredible.

Unfortunately, he'll probably go down the path Rastaman is recommending, and be an absolute waste of talent...in the process costing himself millions of dollars and the shot at being one of the best ever. Sad, really.

...but, according to RASTA, he could make a point.:spit:

HEAV
09-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Listen to the man, Brandon.

Please..pffftt

Brandon only listen's to Brandon.

He could care less about Wins and loses or being a good team-mate and leader. Brandon wants cash and cash only. He's got 2.18 Million waiting for him this year and it's not enough to play for. He wants his lottery ticket cashed now so he can go spend it.

He'll come back to camp and play nice. But still he will find some way of screwing up...

Jerry Rice is correct about the WR postion being the biggest problem on the team in today's NFL

Sadly their talent (while it lasts) is the reason they will continue to be F-ups.

Plaxico was just photographed party'n it up on a boat. Dude is set to go bye-bye in a few months and he's not even worried.

T.O. is on his last stop, well maybe next to the Raiders, this year with the Bills and his body is breaking down.

I'd trade Marshall in a minute if the return was decent enough. Need players that:
A Want to win
B Want to do the job to win
C More about the team than themselves

I guess if Randy Moss can change, then I guess Brandon can...but I just don't see him ready to change now. You would have thought the arm injury would have been a wake-up. But he's lost in himself right now.

gyldenlove
09-01-2009, 02:06 PM
It is easy being a model citizen like Larry Fitzgerald when you get 1st round money as a rookie and then gets paid more money than other WR has ever been paid, I am sure Marshall would be running extra laps at practice and moonlight as a ballboy if we gave him 10 mill a year. What a stupid example, how is Anquan Boldin's energy at practice?

gyldenlove
09-01-2009, 02:08 PM

If he can be one of the best ever, why shouldn't he be paid like one?

rastaman
09-01-2009, 02:12 PM
I am not one to name call, but you just dropped to complete loser in my book. You and Marshall deserve each other.

So how long have you been in the business of assassinating the messenger just b/c a possible scenario could take place. You need to grow up.

rastaman
09-01-2009, 02:16 PM

The point you are failing to consider is that Randy Moss went down that same road his last years in Minn and his time Oakland. Did not! It didn't ruin Moss's career....look where he end up!!!

I'm only trying to get fans to consider this scenario could possible come true. Why you and your ilk are angry at me just for suggesting this possible scenario leaves alot to be desired on your state of mind and maturity.

rastaman
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
These SOBs don't realize what poor role models they are for the youth in our society. Millions of kids in America look up to these people for inspiration.

I cringe at the thought of my kids wanting to be clowns like Marshall when they grow up. I wish they had more role models like Rod Smith and Jerry Rice.

If kids are looking up to these athletes they're in alot of trouble already. Kids should want to emulate their parent(s). Not a sport or entertainer figure.

Popcorn Sutton
09-01-2009, 02:23 PM
It is easy being a model citizen like Larry Fitzgerald when you get 1st round money as a rookie

You can't possibly be this naive.

I suppose the Broncos are to blame for Marshall dropping to the 4th round.

Geesh!

This is what amazes me about the people who defend Marshall's actions. This started long before he became a Bronco and he has done NOTHING to prove to the Broncos that he's grown up.

But hey, just pay the man millions. If he slips up, oh well. $18 million in guaranteed money down the ****ter.

Rohirrim
09-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Geesh!

This is what amazes me about the people who defend Marshall's actions. This started long before he became a Bronco and he has done NOTHING to prove to the Broncos that he's grown up.

But hey, just pay the man millions. If he slips up, oh well. $18 million in guaranteed money down the ****ter.

Exactly! Does the idea that Brandon might just have some little piece of responsibility for what is happening to him ever enter into the picture?

bombquixote
09-01-2009, 02:27 PM
If Jerry Rice was on this board, I'd rep him.

rastaman
09-01-2009, 02:28 PM
This could quite possibly be the dumbest post I have ever read. If he is not going play 100% he should be replaced by someone who will, period, end of story. Say what you want about this man, but the fact of the matter is, he is a quitter. I've already said this on some other threads regarding certain players on our team recently, but I'll say it again: "Winners never quit and quitters never win." -Vince Lombardi. You do the math on whether or not he should be on the field with the game on the line.

Again, you are missing the point. Every player in the NFL doesn't give 100%. One only need to look at what Moss did his last years in Minn. and while playing for Oakland. Randy basically quit playing at 100% for 3-4 years consecutively is the point I am trying to make.

Depending on his decision, Brandon only needs to play well enough so he doesn't get suspended w/o pay. How do you measure whether a player is playing at 100%, 75% or 85%? Brandon played at 100% in 07 & 08 and it didn't get him his contract renewed. So the point of contention in the Bmarsh camp why should he give 100% in 09? Play just well enough not to get suspended w/o pay in 09. There's nothing McD, Bowlen or the fans can do but endure it. As far as risk to his career in terms of the big pay day, Brandon's biggest threat to an eventual big pay day is getting injured b/c he allows two or three tacklers to bring him down b/c he's trying to give 100% at fourth rnd draft choice salary.

Popcorn Sutton
09-01-2009, 02:29 PM
If Jerry Rice was on this board, I'd rep him.

Rep.

Beantown Bronco
09-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Depending on his decision, Brandon only needs to play well enough so he doesn't get suspended w/o pay. How do you measure whether a player is playing at 100%, 75% or 85%? Brandon played at 100% in 07 & 08 and it didn't get him his contract renewed. So the point of contention in the Bmarsh camp why should he give 100% in 09? Play just well enough not to get suspended w/o pay in 09.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOJzpeCMJzs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOJzpeCMJzs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

broncswin
09-01-2009, 02:37 PM
It is easy being a model citizen like Larry Fitzgerald when you get 1st round money as a rookie and then gets paid more money than other WR has ever been paid, I am sure Marshall would be running extra laps at practice and moonlight as a ballboy if we gave him 10 mill a year. What a stupid example, how is Anquan Boldin's energy at practice?

I am not sure, this guy has been trouble from the get go, I really don't believe we can put him on the same level as Fitz, even if he got the money.

rastaman
09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
...but, according to RASTA, he could make a point.:spit:

Randy Moss made a point and he still got paid did he not? If you got talent you have talent. Some team will take a chance and sign you for big bucks. Whats important as Moss proved is you gotta stay healthy. Thats the leverage a player with "freakish" skills and agility brings to the table. Brandon Marshall has freakish skills and agility so teams will be lining up to eventually sign him. However, Marshall needs to stay healthy (Hip) and ensure he doesn't suffer major knee injuries etc.

So that by the time Denver stops/unable to franchise tag him he still has talent to bring to bare at the contract table. Thats what Randy Moss did.....there's no reason Marshall can't do the same thing. So long as he stays healthy.....thats key. Now of course Randy can't possible stay healthy allowing 2 or 3 tacklers to bring him down b/c the fans and McD want him to give 100% thus risking further injuries b/c the punishment and wear and tear he would suffer.

Popcorn Sutton
09-01-2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.rowox.com/Images/420_Weed/images/smoked_retarded.gif

Gort
09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
The point you are failing to consider is that Randy Moss went down that same road his last years in Minn and his time Oakland. Did not! It didn't ruin Moss's career....look where he end up!!!

ummm... he ended up in NE with McD as his OC and if that's your example of a WR being salvaged from the trash heap, then you've joined McD supporters camp and now understand that Marshall should be ecstatic to be playing in McD's system because he'll put up monster numbers, which is what Marshall needs to get the payday he wants!!!

Popcorn Sutton
09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Randy Moss made a point and he still got paid did he not? If you got talent you have talent. Some team will take a chance and sign you for big bucks. Whats important as Moss proved is you gotta stay healthy. Thats the leverage a player with "freakish" skills and agility brings to the table. Brandon Marshall has freakish skills and agility so teams will be lining up to eventually sign him. However, Marshall needs to stay healthy (Hip) and ensure he doesn't suffer major knee injuries etc.

So that by the time Denver stops/unable to franchise tag him he still has talent to bring to bare at the contract table. Thats what Randy Moss did.....there's no reason Marshall can't do the same thing. So long as he stays healthy.....thats key. Now of course Randy can't possible stay healthy allowing 2 or 3 tacklers to bring him down b/c the fans and McD want him to give 100% thus risking further injuries b/c the punishment and wear and tear he would suffer.

I don't want to burst your bubble or anything but the Patriots made Moss restructure and prove himself before they signed him to a new contract.

When the Patriots acquired Moss in April, he had two years remaining on his contract and was scheduled to earn $21 million over the 2007-08 seasons. But he agreed to a restructured contract - a one-year, $2.5 million deal that included a $500,000 roster bonus and $2 million in incentives - to consummate the trade.

Here's the link: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/09/26/this_combination_has_clicked/

BroncoMan4ever
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
If you think Marshall gave a **** about what Rod had to say, you're crazy.

i know and it is a shame. if Rod's information hadn't fallen on a jackass, things would have been awesome. I would have loved to have seen a guy with Marshall's talent with mentality from Rod.

UberBroncoMan
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Whoever wrote that is a dumbass. He should try 13 miles.

He was probably thinking feet lol.

azbroncfan
09-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Why do you keep overlooking at Brandon's inability to be a good citizen to society and keep his nose out of trouble with the law? That is why he isn't getting paid and it's because he is a talented thug that has serious character issues.

azbroncfan
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I would have loved to have seen a guy with Marshall's talent with mentality from Rod.

I think that would be Jerry Rice.

NYBronco
09-01-2009, 03:44 PM

Geesh!

Either Marshall is traded or the Broncos overpay a sniveling prima donna and McDaniels is again led out to slaughter. To be a McDaniels hater is a win, win situation.

Let Marshall sit and get rid of him at the first sniff of an offer.

Mr.Meanie
09-01-2009, 04:05 PM

Can be...

There are a ton of examples in the NFL of people who "could have been" one of the best ever, and ended up flaming out because of their terrible work ethic. The Broncos are smart to hold off on rewarding someone who has proven over and over again that he has the talent and potential, but that really doesn't mean crap until he fulfills it.

AbileneBroncoFan
09-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Again, you are missing the point. Every player in the NFL doesn't give 100%. One only need to look at what Moss did his last years in Minn. and while playing for Oakland. Randy basically quit playing at 100% for 3-4 years consecutively is the point I am trying to make.

Depending on his decision, Brandon only needs to play well enough so he doesn't get suspended w/o pay. How do you measure whether a player is playing at 100%, 75% or 85%? Brandon played at 100% in 07 & 08 and it didn't get him his contract renewed. So the point of contention in the Bmarsh camp why should he give 100% in 09? Play just well enough not to get suspended w/o pay in 09. There's nothing McD, Bowlen or the fans can do but endure it. As far as risk to his career in terms of the big pay day, Brandon's biggest threat to an eventual big pay day is getting injured b/c he allows two or three tacklers to bring him down b/c he's trying to give 100% at fourth rnd draft choice salary.

If that's the attitude he's going to have he will never be a winner. Plain and simple. Plus a WR playing at 75% in the NFL is not going to have a very good season. I love how the prevailing attitude now is that players do not have to honor the contract that bears their signature. Say he gets a 60 million dollar deal and only gets 70 catches, gets hurt, or gets suspended. Do you think for one second he's going to say, "My production didn't match my pay. Here, take this money back." Hell no. So why should the team give him a mega deal whenever he wants?

ScottXray
09-01-2009, 04:10 PM
So how long have you been in the business of assassinating the messenger just b/c a possible scenario could take place. You need to grow up.

Rasta you've been saying that same message for over a month now, in one version or another. BM should just lay down with the first tackler, BM shouldn't play hard. , BM should conserve his body for the big payday. Maybe you ought to come up with something new, cause that song is getting pretty tired.

So far BM isn't hearing you, the coach, or anyone else.

Players playing Half speed and half assed are players that get hurt in game speed conditions. Defenders won't care whether he wants a big contract . Play slow and he hurts the team, and leaves himself open to big hits anyway. He can't look in all directions and sooner or later he'll get popped.

The other players on the team aren't going to put up with BM doing a so so job cause he wants to SAVE himself for some other team. There are other recievers that are going to try a take that job. He either gives it ALL or he shouldn't be on the field, and gets suspended again for be a malingerer or worse just a **** up.

Mr.Meanie
09-01-2009, 04:11 PM

I'm only trying to get fans to consider this scenario could possible come true. Why you and your ilk are angry at me just for suggesting this possible scenario leaves alot to be desired on your state of mind and maturity.

His value was worth only a 4th round pick to the raiders, and instead of getting a monster contract he only got a trial period from the Pats to prove himself. He ultimately came out okay, but I would say that is mostly a product of the system he went into that would have cut their losses in 2 seconds flat if he did ANYTHING wrong.

He cost himself millions of dollars in the meantime, and only last year made up for some of it - by being on his absolute best behavior, producing in a big way, staying out of trouble, and then getting a new contract.

Another thing is his actions off the field weren't anywhere near the stupidity levels of BMarsh's. He was on a short leash, and that was just because of his dogging it on the field... I would bet he wouldn't even be in the league anymore if he combined that with constant run-ins with the law and court dates.

Cool Breeze
09-01-2009, 04:19 PM

Thanks Pastaman!
I knew your 2 cents would stir things up. I enjoy your pov - even if I don't agree.
I don't see any way he gets top 5 money from Denver - ever.

gyldenlove
09-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Geesh!

So when he played an entire season with a hip injury that needed major surgery he was just causing problems? when he got together with his QB and a few other skill players to have a months worth of practice in March he was just acting up?

Fact is that Marshall has delivered on the field time and again and he has gone above and beyond what was required of him in his contract to be on the field and be a threat.

If you don't like the risk he comes with because of his off-field issues, that is fine, if you don't think his recent actions are cool, that is fine, but don't make **** up because you have no argument, that is just beyond pathetic.

Popcorn Sutton
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
So when he played an entire season with a hip injury that needed major surgery he was just causing problems? when he got together with his QB and a few other skill players to have a months worth of practice in March he was just acting up?

Fact is that Marshall has delivered on the field time and again and he has gone above and beyond what was required of him in his contract to be on the field and be a threat.

If you don't like the risk he comes with because of his off-field issues, that is fine, if you don't think his recent actions are cool, that is fine, but don't make **** up because you have no argument, that is just beyond pathetic.

What am I making up?

Oct. 31, 2004: During his junior year at the University of Central Florida, Brandon Marshall faced misdemeanor charges of trespass, resisting arrest without violence, disorderly conduct, refusal to obey and assault on a police officer after an argument with an off-duty Florida Highway Patrol officer turned heated at an Orlando Denny's restaurant. According to the off-duty officer, Marshall, who'd been asked to leave the restaurant for creating a disturbance, accused the officer and the restaurant manager of being "racist," threatened to sue Denny's and the Florida Highway Patrol and said he was "a star and a well-known athlete." Marshall screamed profanities and locked his fists as if he were preparing to strike the officer, according to the report. The charges were later dismissed.

April 8, 2005: Marshall was charged with retail theft, a misdemeanor, after trying to return a stolen set of bed sheets, valued at $19.99, to a Burlington Coat Factory, according to a police report of the incident. The charge was later dropped.

April 2006: Marshall was drafted by the Broncos in the fourth round of the NFL draft, No. 119 overall.

June 17, 2006: Conflicting police reports from Marshall and Rasheedah Watley were filed with the Orange County, Fla., Sheriff's Department. Marshall told police that Watley became violent after seeing him earlier that evening as the object of another woman's affection. Marshall described Watley to police as an old family friend and told police that Watley punched him and scratched his chest after an argument inside the couple's Orlando apartment spiraled out of control. Watley, who filed a police report by phone from Atlanta three days after the incident, told Florida police that Marshall was the aggressor, and that he slapped her in the face, grabbed her by the arms and pushed her to the ground, and that Marshall's sister, London, who was also present during the fight, cut Watley above her eye by throwing a cell phone or remote control at her face. No charges were ever filed.

Dec. 31, 2006: Marshall and several Broncos teammates were present at "The Shelter," a nightclub in Denver's LoDo section, as part of a birthday celebration for Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. Former Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker later told HBO's "Real Sports" that an argument broke out at the club when Marshall and his cousin sprayed champagne on another club patron and his friend. The men, who argued with Marshall and his cousin, were then asked to leave the club, Walker told HBO. Walker admitted he didn't see the encounter. According to media reports, around closing time, Marshall and his cousin were seen on the sidewalk outside the club arguing with the patrons who had been ejected from the club earlier that night. Walker told HBO that he believes the argument contributed to a drive-by shooting a short time later that killed Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams.

Jan. 24, 2007: Police responded to a parking lot outside an Orlando bowling alley where Marshall and his father had a heated argument. According to a police report of the incident, Frederick Marshall said his son took out a handgun and fired one shot at him after the two men argued. Frederick Marshall, who refused to sign a sworn statement or press charges, said his son left the area after firing the handgun. Several witnesses said they never heard gunshots, according to the police report. While officers spoke with Frederick Marshall that evening, Brandon Marshall returned to the parking lot and provided his own statement. Brandon Marshall told police that his father had asked him for money earlier that night and that when he said "no," Frederick Marshall left the bowling alley in anger, broke a beer bottle on Brandon Marshall's vehicle and then tried to run down Brandon Marshall with his car, forcing him to jump between two vehicles in the parking lot to avoid getting hit, according to the report. Frederick Marshall also threatened to "ruin [Brandon's] professional football career," according to the police report. Brandon Marshall also declined to press charges.

March 18, 2007: Atlanta police responded to a domestic dispute call at the Westin Peachtree hotel. Watley told officers that after meeting Marshall at the hotel that night, he became enraged after he went through her cell phone call list and noticed she'd been speaking with an ex-boyfriend. Watley told police Marshall hit her repeatedly with a closed fist. While she refused medical attention, police noticed a large, dark-colored bruise on Watley's chin. Police reported seeing Marshall in the lobby of a neighboring hotel but, according to the report, Marshall left and was not arrested. Police advised Watley to take out a warrant for Marshall's arrest, but Watley never did. No charges were ever filed.

March 21, 2007: Watley filed a report with police in Boca Raton, Fla. Watley and Marshall, who were staying in south Florida with Marshall's uncle, told police that an argument started that night at a local restaurant after Marshall refused to ask Watley to marry him. According to a police report, while Watley was walking home, Marshall grabbed a large pipe from a construction site and hit the ground with it in frustration. Nobody was hurt. Police characterized the incident as a verbal domestic dispute. No charges were filed.

March 26, 2007: Police in Douglas County, Colo., arrested Marshall for false imprisonment and domestic violence. Watley told "Outside the Lines" she was assaulted by Marshall a day earlier at Marshall's suburban Denver home -- she never reported that incident to police -- and that she was attempting to fly back to Atlanta to get away from Marshall. Watley told police she and Marshall argued at the Denver airport and that she later agreed to return to Marshall's home. Watley told police when she attempted to leave Marshall's home a second time, Marshall followed her taxi and, at one point, blocked its path with his Dodge Charger, leapt from his car and punched the taxi cab's windows. When contacted by "Outside the Lines," the cab driver confirmed Watley's version of events. Marshall denied punching the taxi cab's windows and later told police he was only trying to retrieve his cell phone, which he said Watley had taken from him.

May 25, 2007: Charges against Marshall relating to his arrest in Douglas County, Colo., were dismissed after he successfully completed anger management classes.

June 8, 2007: Police responded to Marshall and Watley's Atlanta condo at 5 a.m. and found Watley with a noticeable cut on her right thigh. Watley initially told officers that she accidentally cut herself with a kitchen knife. Watley told the first officer to arrive that while she had argued with Marshall earlier that evening, no physical abuse occurred. Marshall was not present. Roughly an hour later, at 6:07 a.m., police were dispatched to the condo a second time. On this second visit Watley told police that Marshall did indeed cut her thigh with a kitchen knife during a fight earlier that evening and that he later returned to the condo and continued to assault Watley by punching her in the forehead. Watley's friend, Kristeena Spivey, told police that while she was attempting to drive Watley from the condo complex, she noticed Marshall attempting to leave the scene. Spivey, who called 911 to make officers aware of Marshall's whereabouts, said when she attempted to block Marshall's exit from the parking lot with her vehicle, Marshall rammed her car with his Cadillac Escalade and then left his SUV and threw a large rock at the passenger side of Spivey's car. Marshall fled the scene before police arrived, according to Spivey and Watley. Watley was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital for treatment. No charges were ever filed.

June 30, 2007: Atlanta police responded to a fight-in-progress call at Marshall and Watley's condo. Watley told police that a fight broke out after Marshall missed a flight and blamed Watley. Watley told police Marshall struck her with a closed fist and choked her. Watley had a bruise on her left eye and noticeable scratches on her body, according to a police report of the incident. Officers made Watley aware of the procedures to obtain a restraining order. No charges were filed.

Oct. 22, 2007: Hours after defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers, Marshall was cited at 2 a.m. by Denver police for driving under the influence after he was seen driving erratically. His blood-alcohol level was 0.116 (the legal limit for DUI in Colorado is 0.08).

Jan. 18, 2008: Watley obtained a temporary protective order against Marshall in Fulton County (Ga.) Superior Court. At the time, Marshall was forbidden to come within 200 yards of Watley. Watley, through her attorneys, eventually agreed to lift the court order.

Feb. 18, 2008: Watley told "Outside the Lines" that as part of a Valentine's Day present, and in an attempt to repair their relationship, Marshall surprised her with a last-minute trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico. While on that trip, Watley said, Marshall argued with her about an ex-boyfriend. Watley said Marshall assaulted her at San Juan's Condado Plaza Hotel, hitting her in the mouth, which caused her to bleed, and choking her on the bed. A report was filed by police saying officers were called to the hotel to help hotel security escort guests from the property. The report does not mention Watley, Marshall or any details of the incident.

March 4, 2008: Police responded around 9 p.m. to a fight call at Marshall and Watley's Atlanta condo and found Marshall bleeding from his hand. Marshall initially told police that during an argument with Watley, one of Watley's sisters cut him on his hand with a knife. When asked by police who had the knife, Marshall then told officers there was no knife, and that he'd been cut on glass during a fight with Watley. Watley told police that Marshall became upset after finding text messages from an ex-boyfriend on Watley's phone. Watley had several cuts on her lips, according to a police report, and told officers that Marshall had grabbed her by the head and slapped her. While police were interviewing Watley, Marshall fled, according to a report of the incident.

March 5, 2008: Police returned to Marshall and Watley's condo around 1 a.m. Watley and her sister both told police that after the fight earlier that same evening, Marshall returned to the condo, took Watley's purse and threw her personal belongings, including clothing, off of the 20th floor balcony. Police told Watley to leave the residence, but she declined and explained that she feared Marshall would return again once officers left and damage more of her property.

March 5, 2008: Watley obtained her second temporary protective order against Marshall in Fulton County Superior Court. Marshall was once again forbidden by the court order to come within 200 yards of Watley.

May 5, 2008: Atlanta police were called once again to the condo Watley shared for more than a year with Marshall. According to a police report, Watley and Marshall's mother argued about Watley's attempt to remove items from the condo. No charges were filed.

Aug. 5, 2008: The NFL released a statement announcing that Marshall would be suspended without pay for the Broncos' first three regular-season games of 2008 for violating the NFL personal conduct policy. The statement noted that "if Marshall fully complies with required counseling and other conditions of the suspension, Commissioner Goodell will consider reducing the suspension to two games."

Aug. 28, 2008: Less than a month after the NFL released a statement announcing Marshall's suspension, the league released another statement saying Marshall's suspension had been reduced upon appeal to one game without pay plus an additional fine of one game check. An NFL spokesman told ESPN "a potential reduction in [Marshall's] initial three-game suspension was always contemplated if he complied with required counseling and other conditions of the suspension." The spokesman would not elaborate on the precise conditions Marshall met to have his suspension reduced.

Sept. 10, 2008: Marshall was charged with two misdemeanor counts of simple battery as a result of the incident the previous March (his formal bond arraignment was Nov. 3, 2008). Simple battery, according to the Fulton County District Attorney's office, is punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.

Sept. 12, 2008: Nearly a year after being cited for DUI in Denver, Marshall pleaded guilty to the lesser offense of driving while ability-impaired. He was sentenced to one year of probation.

Feb. 5, 2009: While attending a dinner party in Honolulu as part of his Pro Bowl appearance, Marshall proposed to Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall told the Denver Post he met Nogami-Campbell while the two attended the University of Central Florida. The engagement prompted several sports writers to praise what they characterized as Marshall's maturity.

March 1, 2009: Marshall and his fiancée, Nogami-Campbell, were seen by an off-duty Atlanta police officer arguing outside the same Atlanta condo Marshall once shared with Watley. According to a police report of the incident, the off-duty officer saw Marshall and Nogami-Campbell kicking and punching one another on the sidewalk outside the condo building. The off-duty officer said she saw Marshall grab Nogami-Campbell by the shirt and pin her up against the wall. Nogami-Campbell continued to kick and hit Marshall, the officer said. Both Marshall and Nogami-Campbell were arrested and taken to the Atlanta City Jail. They were released later that same day and charges were dismissed. In a statement to ESPN, the NFL said the incident remains "under review."

rastaman
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I don't want to burst your bubble or anything but the Patriots made Moss restructure and prove himself before they signed him to a new contract.

Here's the link: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/09/26/this_combination_has_clicked/

You aren't bursting my bubble in the least bit. What I ask you again, why can't the same scenario happen for Brandon Marshall with another team that happened btwn Moss and the Patriots.

Point is, Moss wore out his welcome with Minn and Oakland, just as Brandon has already worn out his welcome with the Broncos. The Ship left the port a long time ago btwn Bowlen, McDaniels, Bronco Players, and Marshall.

Behind the scenes ya gotta know the Broncos are trying to get rid of Marshall. Plus, Brandon doesn't have the personality to fit into a rebuilding team environment just as Moss was not the right fit for Minn and Oakland; b/c both teams were rebuilding.

Both Moss and Marshall are most effective and impactful on teams already surrounded by talent! and having a Pro bowl/HOF QB's that can get the ball to them. With all the love lost btwn Marshall and the Broncos, what makes you think he wants to wait around while McD turns things around?

Broncos can play Gulag Masters if they want to by tagging/franchising Bmarsh, but they can't do it forever! The longer they play the game of keeping Marshall and hoping to get as much value for their very own malcontent--legal problem player, the more his value goes down..ala just like what happened to Randy Moss.

The Raiders only got 4th pick for Moss and Moss's stats and his behavior showed the Raiders could not demand a trade worthy of the talent Randy Moss still had/has!! The same scenario can happen to the Broncos if they don't play it right.

McDaniel's has got to find away to get Brandon back on the field and find away to get him to produce as close to his 07 & 08 levels as possible. And maybe....just maybe Denver can at least get a 2nd and 4th round pick. But a 1st round pick for Brandon is out of the question at this stage.

Popcorn Sutton
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
You aren't bursting my bubble in the least bit. What I ask you again, why can't the same scenario happen for Brandon Marshall with another team that happened btwn Moss and the Patriots.

Why can't it happen in Denver?

Why can't Marshall just play out this year and prove to either Denver or a potential trade partner that he's worth the money?

Don't give me this it's the last year of his contract crap. I can't tell you how many times I hear of players on the last year of their contracts having their best seasons ever. Hell, the best Defensive Lineman in the league last year was on the last year of his contract and you didn't see him holding out.

Don't you think Haynesworth was a bit "underpaid?"

rastaman
09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
http://www.rowox.com/Images/420_Weed/images/smoked_retarded.gif

Brew....you've had one too many beers and you have come from a long row idiots. But hey even nim rods such as you and your ilk are entitled to your opinions. :sunshine:

OBF1
09-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Does anyone here really think Brandon Marshall can actully read??? Unless someone reads him this story, the idiot will never know it happened.

Popcorn Sutton
09-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Brew....you've had one too many beers and you have come from a long row idiots. But hey even nim rods such as you and your ilk are entitled to your opinions. :sunshine:

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up! :notworthy

rastaman
09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Why can't it happen in Denver?

Why can't Marshall just play out this year and prove to either Denver or a potential trade partner that he's worth the money?

Don't give me this it's the last year of his contract crap. I can't tell you how many times I hear of players on the last year of their contracts having their best seasons ever. Hell, the best Defensive Lineman in the league last year was on the last year of his contract and you didn't see him holding out.

Don't you think Haynesworth was a bit "underpaid?"

Why couldn't Moss stay in Minn. or Oakland is what I would counter you with? Now I'm not a believer in "Never-say-Never" things could work out for Marshall in Denver. But you must assume that Marshall wants to remain a Denver Bronco. Coaches, managers, and owners don't have the final say soley, players can decide whether they want to remain with the team that drafted them as well. Right now the only thing keeping Brandon in Denver is his contract and the fact that Denver will franchise tag him for as long as they can.

fdf
09-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Gotta love Jerry Rice!!!

Brandon Marshall cartoon. He's reading the paper with thought bubble over his head, "What does this Rice guy know? He's over 30 and doesn't understand how I feel."

vancejohnson82
09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
i would rather just do Boldin for Marshall....

errand
09-01-2009, 05:19 PM

Your answer is in your question dude...i highlighted the key words for you.

He's produced pretty good numbers the past two seasons, although his '08 wasn't as good as his '07.

Regardless he's still a risk to sign to big time $$$ in the fact that he's a domestic violence charge away from costing the Broncos alot of money for WR that is in prison.

I suggest that if Bowlen breaks down and signs this clown to alot of $$$...it is filled with personal conduct clauses and incentives....and very little guaranteed monies, if any.

errand
09-01-2009, 05:24 PM
People think Marshall can become the next Randy Moss if the Broncos sign him...when ironically the way he's being treated by McDaniels is the same way Moss would have been treated by Belichick.

Belichick has built his team to place team goals ahead of their personal goals.....McDaniels is trying to do likewise. And yet Brandon Marshall is throwing a hissy fit over money he'd undoubtably earn after his contract expired had he just shut his freaking trap and played ball.

rastaman
09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Your answer is in your question dude...i highlighted the key words for you.

He's produced pretty good numbers the past two seasons, although his '08 wasn't as good as his '07.

Regardless he's still a risk to sign to big time $$$ in the fact that he's a domestic violence charge away from costing the Broncos alot of money for WR that is in prison.

So if Marshall is a RISK to sign....how can Denver insist upon demanding a 1st and 4th for trading Marshall?

I suggest that if Bowlen breaks down and signs this clown to alot of $$$...it is filled with personal conduct clauses and incentives....and very little guaranteed monies, if any.

According to the CBA and the union, thats those type of contracts are not authorized. Now that could change with the new CBA.

Popps
09-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Per FOX:

By "it," he means the state of wide receiver-dom, something he takes very seriously. "I don't think the love of the game is there anymore. It's all about me, me, me and getting that big payday ... Things have gotten out of hand with the wide receivers."
"

The funniest thing about Rice's (true) statement is... Brandon will not shut up about how much he loves playing. He says it in every interview... twice, if not more. It's his stock answer. "I love the game, I just want to play the game... I'm a football player, bla bla."

Look, I understand a guy wanting a raise. We all know the pros and cons. But, Brandon doesn't really behave like a guy who loves the game.

Rice nailed it.

listopencil
09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
He also took Steve Largent's number out of retirement when he went to Seattle. He was a diva, too. He was just more subtle about it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what Rice was saying about himself.

listopencil
09-01-2009, 06:53 PM

Sounds like a great way to earn a low-ball contract.