PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton’s injured finger was open dislocation.

HEAV
09-01-2009, 04:33 AM
Orton recovering from painful dislocation

by Mike Klis on August 31, 2009

NFL sources said that while Kyle Orton’s injured finger was not fractured, the Broncos quarterback suffered an open dislocation (meaning it penetrated the skin) of the right knuckle.
That would explain the blood dripping from Orton’s finger and the excruciating pain the quarterback endured as the dislocation was popped back into place by trainer Steve “Greek’’ Antonopulos.
Orton suffered the injury when on the follow-through of his second-quarter pass, his right hand collided with the left hand of Chicago Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye.
“”I think maybe it was one of those things where his hand got caught bad as he was throwing it when I hit him,’’ Ogunleye said after the game. “”I hope he is OK. I pray he is OK.’’
In football time, a dislocation is not as serious as a fracture so while Orton will not play Thursday in the Broncos’ final preseason game against Arizona, he has not been ruled out for the regular-season opener, Sept. 13 at Cincinnati. Orton’s biggest problem might be the stitches he needed to close the wound.
“”I will be ready to go,’’ Orton said following the game Sunday night while trying to hide his heavily bandaged, but not casted, right finger. “”I am going to work as hard as I can. I don’t know how long I’ll be out but mentally I will be ready to go and I think physically I will be, too.’’

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/31/orton-recovering-from-painful-dislocation/

meangene
09-01-2009, 04:38 AM
Orton recovering from painful dislocation

by Mike Klis on August 31, 2009

NFL sources said that while Kyle Orton’s injured finger was not fractured, the Broncos quarterback suffered an open dislocation (meaning it penetrated the skin) of the right knuckle.
That would explain the blood dripping from Orton’s finger and the excruciating pain the quarterback endured as the dislocation was popped back into place by trainer Steve “Greek’’ Antonopulos.
Orton suffered the injury when on the follow-through of his second-quarter pass, his right hand collided with the left hand of Chicago Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye.
“”I think maybe it was one of those things where his hand got caught bad as he was throwing it when I hit him,’’ Ogunleye said after the game. “”I hope he is OK. I pray he is OK.’’
In football time, a dislocation is not as serious as a fracture so while Orton will not play Thursday in the Broncos’ final preseason game against Arizona, he has not been ruled out for the regular-season opener, Sept. 13 at Cincinnati. Orton’s biggest problem might be the stitches he needed to close the wound.
“”I will be ready to go,’’ Orton said following the game Sunday night while trying to hide his heavily bandaged, but not casted, right finger. “”I am going to work as hard as I can. I don’t know how long I’ll be out but mentally I will be ready to go and I think physically I will be, too.’’

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/31/orton-recovering-from-painful-dislocation/

Ouch! Good news is that injury heals fast and it sounds like he misses one game at most. It also sounds like Simms could be ready Week 1. Now, we just need to get Moreno ready.

HEAV
09-01-2009, 04:47 AM
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/109206-treatment

•If a laceration is associated with a dislocation, copious irrigation and laceration repair should precede splinting.
•Splinting should not exceed 3 weeks.
•Antibiotics and tetanus prophylaxis should be given in the case of an open fracture.

Ya looks like he could be iffy for the Natti game.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Tom Brandstatter fever. Catch it.

Cleo McDowell
09-01-2009, 05:51 AM
damnnn.. when will this end..
http://www.aysos.com/files/3c36ca12cf1b8479.jpg

broncofan7
09-01-2009, 06:03 AM

I already have.....

fontaine
09-01-2009, 06:06 AM
He'll play for the season opener, it won't make a difference to his game since he won't be throwing the ball longer than 12 yards anyway.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-01-2009, 06:09 AM
The good news is that its only the second most important digit for gripping and throwing a football. At least his thumb wasn't amputated, or his dominant eye enucleated. That's the good news.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Wear a glove. It works for Warner and Brady and that's pretty good company.

ColoradoDarin
09-01-2009, 06:37 AM
It's not the missing or playing of the first game, he's going to miss practice time between now and then.

Bronco Boy
09-01-2009, 07:14 AM

Most common symptom is projectile vomiting.

Broncoman13
09-01-2009, 07:14 AM
The good news is that its only the second most important digit for gripping and throwing a football. At least his thumb wasn't amputated, or his dominant eye enucleated. That's the good news.

Hey, I was damn close with my diagnosis, no?

Man-Goblin
09-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Wear a glove. It works for Warner and Brady and that's pretty good company.

Can't wait for Orton to drop 300 and 3 TDs on the Bengals with a bloody glove. It will be our own personal Schilling bloody sock game.

Broncoman13
09-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Kevin O'Connell or whatever that dude's name is from NE will be our week one starter... Mark it down.

TheDave
09-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Hey, I was damn close with my diagnosis, no?

no... ;D

SoDak Bronco
09-01-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm waiting to hear from Zona to find out how long he'll be out

El Guapo
09-01-2009, 07:57 AM
damnnn.. when will this end..
http://www.aysos.com/files/3c36ca12cf1b8479.jpg

:rofl: No freakin' kidding...

WolfpackGuy
09-01-2009, 07:59 AM
http://bareessentialssportsmedicine.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/OpenDislocationNoFrax.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Like this, except on his right index finger.

cmhargrove
09-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Won't a little Tussin heal this right up?

meangene
09-01-2009, 08:07 AM
According to the Post this morning, there is a 'strong chance" Simms will return next week. If that is the case, then I would guess Orton becomes a game-time decision, Simms starts if he can't, and Bradstrater is the emergency backup.

bendog
09-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Come on. McDickhead coached up Brady and Cassel. Brandstatter will be the nfl story of the year!

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2009, 08:30 AM

Why not...and why not trial by fire. If we are going to take it on the chin then we might as well do it with a rookie......maybe not.

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2009, 08:31 AM
the emergency backup.

Is there any other kind? :)

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
He should sprinkle some crack on it.

Man-Goblin
09-01-2009, 08:39 AM
He should sprinkle some crack on it.

Cooked crack?

RaiderH8r
09-01-2009, 08:41 AM
The Brandstater era begins!

Seriously though, will this injury limit the Orton's passes to anything under 10 yds instead of the usual 15 yd limit on his wing?

bendog
09-01-2009, 08:46 AM
The "coach" in a hoody looks a little like Timmy on Southpark

footstepsfrom#27
09-01-2009, 08:56 AM
He can practice that left handed duck.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Why not...and why not trial by fire. If we are going to take it on the chin then we might as well do it with a rookie......maybe not.

It might have to be, but can we not call the season a failure until we actually watch a real game. By the way this board is talking, you'd think we were severely outplayed in every game so far, when thats FAR from the case.

Beantown Bronco
09-01-2009, 09:38 AM
By the way this board is talking, you'd think we were severely outplayed in every game so far, when thats FAR from the case.

Total first half scoring says otherwise: 40-13 in favor of opponents.

Hulamau
09-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Here's prayin' Orton can go in Cincy, if not then Simms, but if it has to be Tom B, just let er rip and see what happens. Not holding my breath for the super bowl this year in any event. The kid will grow up fast! If he makes the same scale of improvement each game that he made from the Seattle to the Bears game he'll be giving the other Tom B a run for his money by years end :two kisses.

We need a healthy Knowshon, Gaffney, Kuper and Marshall with a new attitude in the worst way.

This is the season for a bunker mentality

vanbrugh
09-01-2009, 09:50 AM
The way he was waving the ****er around i thought it was possessed, probably should have tried throwing with it... it may have improved his deep ball!

Taco John
09-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Rub some dirt in it and then tell him to squeeze on a lump of charcoal. Everything will come out just fine.

ghwk
09-01-2009, 09:53 AM
It might have to be, but can we not call the season a failure until we actually watch a real game. By the way this board is talking, you'd think we were severely outplayed in every game so far, when thats FAR from the case.

Optomism is no longer permitted on the Mane. Neg rep for you.

scorpio
09-01-2009, 10:00 AM
http://quadri.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/monty-python-and-the-holy-grail1.jpg

'Tis but a flesh wound!

RaiderH8r
09-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Rub some dirt in it and then tell him to squeeze on a lump of charcoal. Everything will come out just fine.

Tussin, they need to rub some Tussin on there too.

Los Broncos
09-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Won't a little Tussin heal this right up?

Let that Tussin soak it there!

Taco John
09-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Tussin, they need to rub some Tussin on there too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OqUmMCb4r-U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OqUmMCb4r-U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cito Pelon
09-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Here's prayin' Orton can go in Cincy, if not then Simms, but if it has to be Tom B, just let er rip and see what happens. Not holding my breath for the super bowl this year in any event. The kid will grow up fast! If he makes the same scale of improvement each game that he made from the Seattle to the Bears game he'll be giving the other Tom B a run for his money by years end :two kisses.

We need a healthy Knowshon, Gaffney, Kuper and Marshall with a new attitude in the worst way.

This is the season for a bunker mentality

I enjoyed watching Brandstater play. Looks like he has some real NFL skills. He can huck it 40 yds effortlessly. That post to McKinley was a thing of beauty. He can throw on the run, has good pocket awareness, excellent mechanics.

I think he'll start the last preseason game, so we'll get a good look at him with the starters again. And he might be opening the season, if so we'll get a real good look at what he can do.

Simms is ok with me also, I don't think it's the end of the world if Orton can't start the opener. Certainly the rest of the team has to play well to make the opener a good game and a good season. The RB situation is a bit dicey with Moreno only penciled in at Cincy, the WR situation is certainly dicey. Hopefully the D will play well and some of the rookies will step up.

Chris
09-01-2009, 10:53 AM
http://www.adamstennett.com/paintingscansnew/drink.jpg

From adamstennett.com

chaz
09-01-2009, 10:56 AM

hey doc, what do you put orton's chances at of being ready in two weeks?

kamakazi_kal
09-01-2009, 10:57 AM
No biggie ..... dude throws as good with his left as he does with his right.

Beantown Bronco
09-01-2009, 11:03 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dr. Broncenstein
09-01-2009, 11:04 AM

I'm not falling for this again.

bendog
09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
http://www.luckyrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/cut-me-mick1.jpg

chaz
09-01-2009, 11:07 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that's a maybe! i'll be catching brandstater fever anytime now...

I'm not falling for this again.

how about what is a typical recovery timetable for the injury?

Dr. Broncenstein
09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
that's a maybe! i'll be catching brandstater fever anytime now...

how about what is a typical recovery timetable for the injury?

Kyle Orton has a significant injury to the upper extremity. It will heal in the future.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Total first half scoring says otherwise: 40-13 in favor of opponents.

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper into a situation to find the truth. Though that number is staggering, its not as bad as it seems.

To wit (and this might be slightly homeristic):

As long as I've been a football fan, I've long held the position that both turnovers and long gains on special teams can be outliers when assessing the skill of a team. Two of those touchdowns (14 pts) came off a long run by Hester and a poorly thrown short ball by Orton in the SF game (it happens and is not indicitive of a poorly designed offensive scheme, just a bad throw where the result seems a lot worse than the cause). Also, the other aberration was Gaffney's dropped TD pass in the endzone (something that, using basic probability will not happen often).

So anyway, adding this information into the equation and just judging offense and defense, a simple twist could have the broncos only being outscored 26-20 (yes, there's a chance those teams could have scored conventional touchdowns on those drives anyway, but thats impossible to tell). Anyway, not the worst thing in the world.

Now, the broncos special teams have been much improved this preseason and there's no shame in giving up a long run to Devin Hester (who has proved to probably be the best of all time). Also, especially in preseason, I personally like to judge the team by basic offensive/defensive general play (how the team performs as a whole, regardless of the randomness of a turnover) and, in general, the Broncos have moved the ball (last weeks game was a bit puzzling because of all the penalties, so its hard to judge, but im assuming even great offenses have low conversion rates when dealing with 2nd and 20.).

Point is, too often we only look at things through only one perspective (always judged by our bias..and i admit im looking to be an optimist here) and we fail to even peel away one layer when football, more than ANY other sport, is completely multilayered, especially when dealing with pts and statistics. Football games have thousands idiosyncrisies that change the course of a game and, of course, luck and circumstance play a huge role in deciding outcomes, but GENERALLY speaking, all three units look organized and have not been hampered by one staggering trend (like last years inability to stop the run and our penchant for giving up the big play.) Also, take the fact that these are two completely new systems that we are still getting used to and you have to assume that improvement will come over time.

People act like we've been getting blown out 45-7 like the Raiders did. I really don't think we're that bad. Just by judging the preseason, i think we are a middle of the road team and hopefully will improve as time goes on. But there's no one disastrous trend here that i can see.

Now flame away and call me an asshole...its what many of you do best.

worm
09-01-2009, 11:20 AM

How couldn't you catch TB fever? His head alone is a beacon of light.

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/09%20Blogs/trainingcamp/090811/AM/brandstater_ks_090811.jpg

bendog
09-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Well, if gets a cut on his head, it'll be easier to sew him up.

chaz
09-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Kyle Orton has a significant injury to the upper extremity. It will heal in the future.

There's a reason people call him McDouche.

Cool Breeze
09-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Great - between this and Marshall's bruised mangina were doomed!

Dr. Broncenstein
09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
There's a reason people call him McDouche.

I don't know if you remember last year with all the goings on with Marshallgate... but I was asked a similar question. There was a following ****storm flamewar in which I was even accused of a spectrum of things... from being a quack to somehow performing malpractice. Even as of late last night, some dbag loosers are still trying to beat their chest over it... even though I was right to an extent. So I'm not offering that kind of opinion any more... no offense to you.

BroncoMan4ever
09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Kevin O'Connell or whatever that dude's name is from NE will be our week one starter... Mark it down.

i've been calling that since Orton was injured.

RaiderH8r
09-01-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't know if you remember last year with all the goings on with Marshallgate... but I was asked a similar question. There was a following ****storm flamewar in which I was even accused of a spectrum of things... from being a quack to somehow performing malpractice. Even as of late last night, some dbag loosers are still trying to beat their chest over it... even though I was right to an extent. So I'm not offering that kind of opinion any more... no offense to you.

I know enough about medicine to recognize that you know what you're talking about. I may disagree on diagnosis and prognosis but I definitely know that you've studied your business and know it well. That's horsesh!t that you were treated that way when giving an honest opinion.

bendog
09-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I think this image suits the thread and dissing the doc

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chauss513/69568300/

JJJ
09-01-2009, 01:29 PM
The "coach" in a hoody looks a little like Timmy on Southpark

LOL

Get him an orange hoody.

But I think you mean Kenny, not Timmeeeehh.

bendog
09-01-2009, 01:37 PM
oh yeah, been awhile since I watched southpark. My kid got old enough to understand what they were saying. I don't even recall if it's on anymore.