PDA

View Full Version : What the **** is up with Orton's finger

LetsGoBroncos
08-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Sorry to start a new thread but I don't see anyone discussing this at all. I don't live in the Denver area and was wondering if there has been an update on the radio or anything? I find it weird that we haven't heard how bad his finger is.

ghwk
08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Can you imagine what a piece of detritus our QB must be if no one is talking about his finger? It is much more important to have 30 MORE Cutler v Orton threads going instead!

Eldorado
08-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Join the club. Somebody could get decapitated and all we'd hear out of DV is 'upper body extremity injury'.

BroncoMan4ever
08-31-2009, 03:07 PM
supposedly they had to pop it back into place on the sidelines. reports i have read say teammates heard him scream in pain when they popped it into place, and then it was heavily bandaged. outside of that no idea what is wrong or how long he is out

LetsGoBroncos
08-31-2009, 03:09 PM
I would just think if it's not broken it would be pretty easy to diagnose and say if its going to be a 2 week injury or a 6 week injury.

bendog
08-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Then came the bloody finger.

''I didn't see it,'' receiver Brandon Stokely said. ''There was some screaming, but I thought it was because of how bad we were playing.

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 03:20 PM

''I didn't see it,'' receiver Brandon Stokely said. ''There was some screaming, but I thought it was because of how bad we were playing.

Please tell me that's a legit quote.....

bendog
08-31-2009, 03:24 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1744364,CST-SPT-bside31x.article

Hulamau
08-31-2009, 03:25 PM
supposedly they had to pop it back into place on the sidelines. reports i have read say teammates heard him scream in pain when they popped it into place, and then it was heavily bandaged. outside of that no idea what is wrong or how long he is out

Very funny. Ogelyondegobbledygook's long fingernails cut Orton's finger,, no disloctions, nobreaks, no strains etc. He'll be back slinging it by weeks end.

elsid13
08-31-2009, 03:25 PM
'I don't know how long I'll be out,'' Orton said later, sporting heavy bandages on the finger and refusing to say if he'd received stitches. ''I don't want to say [I'm] concerned, but there's things we've got to fix. There's not a whole bunch of time right now.''

Sounds really really bad/

Nice find Bendog

bendog
08-31-2009, 03:29 PM
hey, I have no idea whether that paper's any good. Stokley's quote was funny, imo.

If the guy actually screamed, then it's bad and prolly a dislocation ... or he's not really tough. If he dislocated it, then it'll effect his "accuracy" for weeks. Kuper's gotta be one hurting sob right now, of that I'm positive.

Ambiguous

That was at least pretty damn funny.

meangene
According to Schefter on ESPN he has a strained or, possibly, partially torn tendon in the finger. "Should" be ready for the opener but not an easy injury to play with. Simms is not expected to be ready.

HEAV
08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
From the the game tape it looks like a horizontal cut/gash just below the finger tip. Which will make throwing difficult for a few weeks.

Depending on stitches...Orton could be ready for the Bengals.

PRBronco
08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
"there's things we've got to fix"

That's not a nice quote ><

Popps
08-31-2009, 03:34 PM

Nor a surprising one, a few games into the pre-season with a new QB/system/player, etc.

People should probably prepare themselves for the reality of a team learning two new systems.

titan
Adam Shefter on KOA Radio this afternoon said "Kyle Orton has a tendon injury to his finger. I don't know if it is strained or partially torn. My understanding is that he should be ready for the opener."

Popps
I remember Elway taking at least a half-season to look comfortable in the WCO.

If it's that way for Elway... you think Orton might need a few games?

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 03:36 PM

I understand that's not a comparison, but please, please, please, can we not use those two names in the same post, let alone same sentence?

Chris
08-31-2009, 03:37 PM
It looked like the tendon popped out of his finger and was hanging out over the front of it. Very Beuerlein-esque.

PRBronco
08-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Nor a surprising one, a few games into the pre-season with a new QB/system/player, etc.

People should probably prepare themselves for the reality of a team learning two new systems.

Oh, I was thinking he meant physically, within his finger.

Popps
08-31-2009, 03:39 PM
I understand that's not a comparison, but please, please, please, can we not use those two names in the same post, let alone same sentence?

Fair enough, but it was definitely a contrast... as to say, if a legend needed a half-season, a regular Joe like Orton will need at least that.

I'm worried Orton is going to miss this game.

I never thought I'd say that, but I'm worried about Orton missing a game. :)

broncolife
08-31-2009, 03:40 PM
I kind of hope it was something more than a little cut, not because I dont like him as our qb, but he would look like a baby crying to his mommy about a little boo boo.

Popps
08-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Oh, I was thinking he meant physically, within his finger.

Oh crap... you could be right. I hope that isn't the case.

lex
08-31-2009, 03:41 PM

Elway threw for over 300 yards in his first game against the Bills, who had Bruce Smith.

atomicbloke
08-31-2009, 03:45 PM
This cluster**** of an offeason just keeps getting better and better....

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Fair enough, but it was definitely a contrast... as to say, if a legend needed a half-season, a regular Joe like Orton will need at least that.

I'm worried Orton is going to miss this game.

I never thought I'd say that, but I'm worried about Orton missing a game. :)

Orton's going to need over a decade.

BroncoDoug
08-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)Sounds like QB Kyle Orton either strained or partially tore a tendon in his right index finger. Either way, he should be ready for Bengals.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Hotrod
08-31-2009, 03:57 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1744364,CST-SPT-bside31x.article

Hey where the **** you been?

TheDave
08-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)Sounds like QB Kyle Orton either strained or partially tore a tendon in his right index finger. Either way, he should be ready for Bengals.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Is it just me or does the thought of Kyle Orton starting with and injury to his throwing hand scrare the crap out of anyone else?

Chris
08-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Is it just me or does Kyle Orton with and injury to his throwing hand scrare the crap out of anyone else?

I've got a wait and see attitude. Sometimes it really affects guys, other times they're ok (I'm hopeful, as always).

elsid13
08-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Is it just me or does Kyle Orton with and injury to his throwing hand scrare the crap out of anyone else?

Why are you concerned, he been practicing left hand screen passes all week

TheDave
08-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Why are you concerned, he been practicing left hand screen passes all week

This nightmare just doesn't seem to end...

Orange4Life
08-31-2009, 04:07 PM
I won't be suprised if he misses the first game. It looked nasty as hell on TV. It's on his index finger throwing hand. The worst possible place for a flesh wound on a throwing hand.

Cam07
08-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh crap... you could be right. I hope that isn't the case.

No the quote is pretty misleading. Those quotes came after completely different questions. I think the one about having to fix a few things was a question about being 0-3 or something along those lines. It wasn't about his finger.

Bronco Yoda
08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Did he need stitches?

elsid13
08-31-2009, 04:10 PM
This nightmare just doesn't seem to end...

wait til we sign SOB

TheDave
08-31-2009, 04:15 PM
wait til we sign SOB

again, never thought I would say this...

I wish Brian Greise was our QB...

(I actually threw up in my mouth while typing that)

oubronco
08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
"One Tough Son of a Bitch"

TotallyScrewed
08-31-2009, 04:45 PM
From the the game tape it looks like a horizontal cut/gash just below the finger tip. Which will make throwing difficult for a few weeks.

Depending on stitches...Orton could be ready for the Bengals.

From what I saw, I say the fingernail was torn off. He's not going to throw a prettier ball any time soon...unless he tries the left, again.

TotallyScrewed
08-31-2009, 04:51 PM
This cluster**** of an offeason just keeps getting better and better....

And to think in the best case senario we would have had Cassel.

Oops.

Hulamau
08-31-2009, 04:56 PM

He was talking about needing to fix some things on Offense and defense .. not his finger! Go watch his presser!

Hulamau
08-31-2009, 04:59 PM
"One Tough Son of a b****"

That index finger does NOT look dislocated in this shot.

PRBronco
08-31-2009, 05:14 PM
That index finger does NOT look dislocated in this shot.

Maybe that dude's right and it was his fingernail? They might have had to reef it off or something, although the blood really looks like it's coming from the other side.

Broncoman13
08-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Compound fracture... can't see the bone, but it is sticking out slightly. Broncos will try and pick up a QB after the first round of cuts. Brandstater about to get a crash course as well.

TheDave
08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Compound fracture... can't see the bone, but it is sticking out slightly. Broncos will try and pick up a QB after the first round of cuts. Brandstater about to get a crash course as well.

WTF?... Are you serious?

Broncoman13
08-31-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm serious in that is what I see happening...

Bronco Yoda
08-31-2009, 07:19 PM

This is a joke right?

orinjkrush
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM
calm down. calm down.

Ambiguous
08-31-2009, 07:48 PM
This is a joke right?

Facepalm

bowtown
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
What is it about our QBs and fingers?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=24782&stc=1&d=1251761251

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/jaycutler_finger.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1sfPG6PsAOQ/Sny7-raXurI/AAAAAAAAATQ/pHvs5yRVXRQ/s320/jake2_e.jpg

BroncoBuff
08-31-2009, 07:54 PM

Excuse excuses ... Simms looked spectacular, as he will in Cincinnati.

Orton's screaming would indicate a dislocation that was being re-manipulated manually into place, excrutiating. If this is true, no way he's ready in 13 days. Remember, it's his throwing index finger.

broncolife
08-31-2009, 07:55 PM

Lol I thought the same exact thing yesterday including the small print

TheDave
08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm serious in that is what I see happening...

You suck...

broncolife
08-31-2009, 07:57 PM

Lol I thought the same exact thing yesterday including the small print.
Why have the student when we can have the Master.

Garcia Bronco
08-31-2009, 08:04 PM
They have to wear certain soxs at certain lengths. Can we getta little trim on the nails please. It's just such a stupid reason to have a QB leave the game.

Broncoman13
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
You suck...

You think it's something different?

McD's "upper extremity injury" allows me to draw whatever conclusion my medical expertise allows... My medical expertise being what it is, I say a compound fracture and we'll know it for sure when we going searching for a new QB in the coming days.

Oh, and watch McD start playing real nice with BMarsh now. Should be fun to watch McD suck up after all the BS.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-31-2009, 08:13 PM

McD's "upper extremity injury" allows me to draw whatever conclusion my medical expertise allows... My medical expertise being what it is, I say a compound fracture and we'll know it for sure when we going searching for a new QB in the coming days.

Oh, and watch McD start playing real nice with BMarsh now. Should be fun to watch McD suck up after all the BS.

Compound fracture is not the preferred nomenclature. Open fracture, please...

Broncoman13
08-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Compound fracture is not the preferred nomenclature. Open fracture, please...

;)

What is the difference?

chaz
08-31-2009, 08:24 PM

You know it's already been confirmed that xrays were negative, right?

Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm....

Dr. Broncenstein
08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
;)

What is the difference?

The difference is open is the correct way to describe such a fracture. And I got to pull out a Big Lebowski reference. Far out.

Rigs11
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Someone call plummer and tell him to grow his freaking beard and suit up!

footstepsfrom#27
08-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Is it just me or does the thought of Kyle Orton starting with and injury to his throwing hand scrare the crap out of anyone else?
It's almost eery how all this crap is lining up.

fdf
08-31-2009, 08:40 PM
I won't be suprised if he misses the first game. It looked nasty as hell on TV. It's on his index finger throwing hand. The worst possible place for a flesh wound on a throwing hand.

I would think the thumb would be worse. I've injured my thumb before and the whole hand is pretty much useless for much of anything. But the index finger is still pretty bad.

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 08:48 PM

You make a strong point.

Using my medical expertise and McD's public statements regarding the injury, I can clearly deduce that the wound is gangrenous, the hand has been amputated, and we will now be blessed with ALL left handed passes.

Garcia Bronco
08-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Seriously? Tape it up and play.

Swedish Extrovert
08-31-2009, 09:09 PM
''I don't want to say [I'm] concerned, but there's things we've got to fix. There's not a whole bunch of time right now.''

I hope he's talking about how poorly they were playing.

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Seriously? Tape it up and play.

That's the finger on the throwing hand that guides the ball. This isn't his pinky finger.

The good news: Kyle Orton is so goddamn good that he can afford to cough up some accuracy. :spit:

BroncoMan4ever
08-31-2009, 10:34 PM
"One Tough Son of a b****"

the dude played the second half of last season with a bad high ankle sprain. he is a tough son of a bitch.

Broncoman13
09-01-2009, 06:17 AM
You suck...

I was right though... Beyotch. ;D

Broncoman13
09-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Open Dislocation... OUCH.

El Guapo
09-01-2009, 06:53 AM

They should have given him a bottle of jack to ease the pain (and a haircut, sheesh).

Ah, that last comment reminded me of the Plummer days.

TheDave
09-01-2009, 06:55 AM
I was right though... Beyotch. ;D

Open dislocation is not a "Compound Fracture"... But your were right that it was an injury to his finger. ;D

Broncoman13
09-01-2009, 07:06 AM
Open dislocation is not a "Compound Fracture"... But your were right that it was an injury to his finger. ;D

My nomenclature was off, not the diagnosis. Doc set me straight saying that it was properly called an open dislocation. I got this one right biatch... don't try and steal this from me. I called this one. I was nails. I was the man. I was it... for shizzle. ;D Damn... sucks to be right some times. Still think that our day one starter isn't even on the roster yet. :wowwearephuckedsmilie:

TheDave
09-01-2009, 07:10 AM
My nomenclature was off, not the diagnosis. Doc set me straight saying that it was properly called an open dislocation. I got this one right biatch... don't try and steal this from me. I called this one. I was nails. I was the man. I was it... for shizzle. ;D Damn... sucks to be right some times. Still think that our day one starter isn't even on the roster yet. :wowwearepink puppy belliedsmilie:

This seems real important to you... I'm going to let you have this moment all to yourself.

Now I'm just gonna slowly step away from the thread...

bendog
09-01-2009, 07:17 AM
If this was afghanistan Dave, the blast would've killed you.

TheDave
09-01-2009, 07:28 AM

Don't encourage him... ;D

vancejohnson82
09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
somebody get me Rodney Peete's number

elsid13
09-01-2009, 02:40 PM

But a least he would be heaven with 72 virgins that look like Bea Arthur

supermanhr9
09-01-2009, 02:49 PM
what's the outside chance we can get Bradlee Van Pelt in for a work out? hahaha

elsid13
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
what's the outside chance we can get Bradlee Van Pelt in for a work out? hahaha

It depend if you can figure out which Bar he hold up in.

Broncos dude
09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Why didn't we get Vick. Hell , the off season was crazy my as well top it off

BroncoBuff
09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Open Dislocation... OUCH.

Yeah, no way he's ready in 12 days. Mark it down.

If they try to trot him out there anyway, it could be disastrous.

GreatBronco16
09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't know about you guys, but at this point, I'm kinda wishing Plummer was still our QB.

Vegas_Bronco
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Why didn't we get Vick. Hell , the off season was crazy my as well top it off

OR Brett Favre...someone who could have helped a VERY young offense.

BroncoBuff
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM

Definitely ... and it seems to me Josh is so heavily invested in Orton, he'll trot him out there no matter what.

Still don't get why everybody's (basically) ignoring Chris Simms. He was freaking spectacular against the 49ers ... remember how freaking good he was at avoiding the rush and buying time?

I hope he starts against the Bengals.

lex
09-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Definitely ... and it seems to me Josh is so heavily invested in Orton, he'll trot him out there no matter what.

Still don't get why everybody's (basically) ignoring Chris Simms. He was freaking spectacular against the 49ers ... remember how freaking good he was at avoiding the rush and buying time?

Isnt there an old saying that if you have no spleens at QB, you have no QB?

Or am I mixing that up with something else?

listopencil
09-01-2009, 09:37 PM
"Open dislocation" for Kyle Orton
Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2009 10:29 AM ET
On the surface, the outcome made no sense. Barring some of the equipment manipulation advocated in the original version of The Longest Yard, how could Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye slash the finger of Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton with a gloved hand?

As it turns out, Ogunleye didn't have a razor blade in his glove. (And that's definitely a comforting thought.) Instead, Orton had a bone in his finger that was sufficiently dislocated that it sliced through the flesh, from the inside.

Per the Denver Post, it's an "open dislocation." Thus, the damage is akin to a bone-deep cut that will require extensive stitching to heal.

So Orton's status for Week One is in doubt, and this means that the roster of opening-day rookie starting quarterbacks could include not only Mark Sanchez and Matthew Stafford, but also a sixth-round pick from Fresno State named Tom Brandstater.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/01/open-dislocation-for-kyle-orton/

uplink
09-02-2009, 06:16 PM
From Schefter Twitter:http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Even with his the "upper extremity" issue on his right index finger, the feeling within Broncos orgn is that Kyle Orton will start vs Cincy.

He also gave Tony Chang's Chinese Take-out in downtown Denver 2 footballs

BroncoBuff
09-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Not a chance Adam, sorry.

TheDave
09-02-2009, 08:28 PM

He doesn't have a choice boss...

The trade of Cutler is already a bad joke to anyone not wearing a foam horse head. Make Kyle Orton your back up and it gets significantly worse.

For better or worse he will ride this horse to the very end.