PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Harrison's Comments on the Broncos HC.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Anyone else listen to Rodney speak about the Broncos HC last night?

I was expecting the typical ex-pro speaking without really saying anything.

In essesence Rodney said he knew the Broncos HC from his time as D assistant and explained the Broncos HC history coaching for the Patsy's. He said he felt that the Broncos HC was an open minded coach and didn't under stand why he would have any conflict with Cuter.

Rodney in response to a question from Collingsworth said that he felt trading the Franchise QB from Denver is the biggest mistake the Broncos HC has made so far as a head coach.

Rodney then talked about Jay being able to make all the throws and being athletic that he gave the D more to prep for than other QB's.

When Al asked Rodney to explain why the Broncos HC would want to trade for Matt Cassel Rodney said he could not understand why the Broncos HC would want to trade a Franchise QB for a career backup, "no offense to (Matt) I love the guy"

After the Challenge Al asks him why the Broncos HC would want Cassel and Rodney said that Matt was the Broncos HC "guy" and he wanted his guy and ended up having to deal with "the cards that were dealt" because of the fallout from wanting his guy.

He then went on to talk about Tom Terrific coming back etc...

I was impressed that Rodney felt he didn't have to be flashy or shocking in his debut interview like other retired pros who have gone into the booth and feel that they have to become a personality rather than use their football experience to add to a broadcast.

I still haven't found a full transcript on the IntERnets yet but there is this:

http://wildcat-4-life.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/15217795/16909254

I was impressed with Harrison and his take, and I was glad to hear him talk about the Broncos HC from his experience with him while at the Pats.

PRBronco
08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm just flabbergasted that people still state, as if it was fact, that McDaniels came in and "shopped" Cutler in trades. What the ****? The only job these people have is to report on football and they can't even ****ing get it right?

ZONA
08-31-2009, 03:19 PM
To be totally fair though, every QB in the league maybe besides Manning, would be a "career backup" behind Brady so if Josh wanted Cassell, him being the back up who had a great year could be understandable. And people still give Cutler way way too much credit for being an elite QB. He had a good season in terms of yardage but he still made a ton of mental mistakes and had yet to prove he could score with the elite level guys. I'm not saying I would have done the same, I've said I would have kept Cutler and sat his pouty ass down until he got over himself but I still don't think Cutler was an elite QB yet. He wasn't even the best QB in his 4 team division. Just saying.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm just flabbergasted that people still state, as if it was fact, that McDaniels came in and "shopped" Cutler in trades. What the ****? The only job these people have is to report on football and they can't even ****ing get it right?

Your right, they did not shop Cutler, but they tried to aquire Cassel then lied to Cutler about it.

That all happened before the Calls not being made or not returned crap.

I liked what he said about the Broncos HC being open minded with the Pats yet having issues with Cutler after one or 2 meetings.

He talked about Ego's having a part in how it all played out but wouldn't go on to say much else.

elsid13
08-31-2009, 03:23 PM

Have you ever thought that all the guys that know everyone in business (players, coaches, GM, agents) are really reporting the truth and it not the spin that came from the Front Office?

To this day I think Cutler was blunt ass self with McDaniels which lead to McDaniels trying to prove who was boss and it snowballed from there.

Greatspirits
08-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah I heard it, pretty much what everybody else has been saying, McKid screwed up! I do get sick of everybody calling Cutler a franchise quarterback, other than throwing for lots of yards, td's & interceptions, he hasn't proved he can carry a team to the playoffs just yet. Heck, if thats the case Jeff George is a franchise quarterback!

Peoples Champ
08-31-2009, 03:26 PM
To be totally fair though, every QB in the league maybe besides Manning, would be a "career backup" behind Brady so if Josh wanted Cassell, him being the back up who had a great year could be understandable. And people still give Cutler way way too much credit for being an elite QB. He had a good season in terms of yardage but he still made a ton of mental mistakes and had yet to prove he could score with the elite level guys. I'm not saying I would have done the same, I've said I would have kept Cutler and sat his pouty ass down until he got over himself but I still don't think Cutler was an elite QB yet. He wasn't even the best QB in his 4 team division. Just saying.

Ya, people do give Cutler to much props. I am not saying he is bad, just i am not calling him good yet.

PRBronco
08-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Your right, they did not shop Cutler, but they tried to aquire Cassel then lied to Cutler about it.

That all happened before the Calls not being made or not returned crap.

I liked what he said about the Broncos HC being open minded with the Pats yet having issues with Cutler after one or 2 meetings.

He talked about Ego's having a part in how it all played out but wouldn't go on to say much else.

Haha I hate to open this up again :( But was it really trying to aquire Cassel? Or was it exploring the pros vs. cons of having Cassel + draft picks vs Cutler (who, we know, had already asked for a trade) because it was presented to them? I mean, every team has to evaluate offers like this.

In the NHL this year, Brian Burke stated no one on his roster was untouchable. "What about (super stud rookie defenseman) Luke Schenn?" one of the reporters asked. "Look if someone offers 10 first round picks for him, we'd have to talk" (not an exact quote, just going off memory). I always thought that applied here, they owe it to their team to explore any avenue that might improve it.

And that's all I got to say about that.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Ya, people do give Cutler to much props. I am not saying he is bad, just i am not calling him good yet.

He made a very weak Bears Receiving corps look pretty good on that 98 yard drive.

PRBronco
08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Have you ever thought that all the guys that know everyone in business (players, coaches, GM, agents) are really reporting the truth and it not the spin that came from the Front Office?

To this day I think Cutler was blunt ass self with McDaniels which lead to McDaniels trying to prove who was boss and it snowballed from there.

Haha I'm not gonna lie, I just assumed they're ignorant and too lazy to learn the facts.

tsiguy96
08-31-2009, 03:31 PM
He made a very weak Bears Receiving corps look pretty good on that 98 yard drive.

and lets be honest about that drive, he was pretty lucky on a few occasions there. olsen saved his ass on that catch, and we dropped 1 easy pick, almost 2, after backing him deep into the endzone. good drive by the bears, but if this was week 4 or 5(after more practice in this defense), it never happens that way.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Haha I hate to open this up again :( But was it really trying to aquire Cassel? Or was it exploring the pros vs. cons of having Cassel + draft picks vs Cutler (who, we know, had already asked for a trade) because it was presented to them? I mean, every team has to evaluate offers like this.

And that's all I got to say about that.

I could live with it if the Broncos HC listened to an offer for Cassel then mentioned to Cutler "hey I got (or made)a call about Cassel, I will be listening to all offers that make this team better, we decided that your our guy but we will listen to any future offers that make the team better"

Instead the Broncos HC lied to Cutler, Cutler then got it leaked to him and the wheel fell off after that...

Rohirrim
08-31-2009, 03:32 PM
What Rodney said is just more support for the take that Bowlen, not McD, ordered the Cutler trade.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
and lets be honest about that drive, he was pretty lucky on a few occasions there. olsen saved his ass on that catch, and we dropped 1 easy pick, almost 2, after backing him deep into the endzone. good drive by the bears, but if this was week 4 or 5(after more practice in this defense), it never happens that way.

Whatever you want to believe in UnicornHappyLand.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 03:36 PM
What Rodney said is just more support for the take that Bowlen, not McD, ordered the Cutler trade.

Good take,

I am guessing that the Broncos HC could not convice (or didn't try to convince) Bowlen he could handle Cutler after Cutler pissed Bowlen off by not returning the call that did or did not happen.

elsid13
08-31-2009, 03:37 PM

Spin away. No matter what was said Culter lead 98 yard drive hitting all his WRs, TEs and backs on excellent passing. He showed excellent mobility in the pocket and did what a great QB does ` make plays.

I am rewatching the game now, that first almost pick was very good read by Goodman, but Hester showed his inexperience in running that route and not cutting fast enough.

Chris
08-31-2009, 03:41 PM
I thought Harrison looked like he didn't know what he was talking about in this particular case. He was put on the spot and wanted to sound like he was on top of it so he regurgitated what he had "heard" as fact.

I liked his other commentary though. Still, hard to have respect for such a dirty player.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 03:45 PM
I thought Harrison looked like he didn't know what he was talking about in this particular case. He was put on the spot and wanted to sound like he was on top of it so he regurgitated what he had "heard" as fact.

I liked his other commentary though. Still, hard to have respect for such a dirty player.

I guess you weren't much of a Romo guy.

I thought Harrison was composed and knew what he was going to say. He didn't studder or pause like he was looking for words, he knew what he was going to say and talked well when redirected by Al to Brady.

jhns
08-31-2009, 03:46 PM
He was spot on with his comments. Now the only question remaining is when will all the rest of the bronco fans wake up so we can move onto a real front office. I do not understand how mcd can get so much support while only doing damage to this team.

It does not make you a good fan to blindly support stuff that is bad for the team. I swear some would help hold the gun if this franchise made it public that they want to shoot themselves in the face. If you don't support that decision then you obviously aren't a good fan....

I can't wait for the Cowher years to start.

Hercules Rockefeller
08-31-2009, 03:46 PM
The Broncos HC? Grow the **** up.

Mr.Meanie
08-31-2009, 03:49 PM
I thought he was just repeating what everyone has heard ad nauseum on ESPN and other outlets. No takes, nothing new or interesting, basically the same stuff with different words. Meh.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 03:50 PM
The Broncos HC? Grow the **** up.

What's wrong with that?

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I thought he was just repeating what everyone has heard ad nauseum on ESPN and other outlets. No takes, nothing new or interesting, basically the same stuff with different words. Meh.

He was in the system, the Broncos HC coached the DB's, they worked together. If anything you would think Harrison would back his guy.

tonngo0
08-31-2009, 04:05 PM
*yawn* *yawn* *yawn* *yawn* *yawn* *yawn*

Bronco Yoda
08-31-2009, 04:06 PM

It's also interesting that they fail to mention that Cutler wanted out as soon as Mike Shanahan and co. was axed. Bowlen sure has escaped all blame from this somehow.

broncos-rock
08-31-2009, 04:08 PM

Not only this but did anybody hear him say that Brushi had a heart attack................um no that would have been a stroke. I personally thought he sucked azz!!!!

uplink
08-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Why does everyone believe McD made the decision to trade Cutler? From reports it seems like Bowlen made the call after Cutler didn't return his calls.

DomCasual
08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Did anyone else think the way Al Michaels was touching Harrison the whole time was a little awkward? The tension was palpable.

hambone13
08-31-2009, 04:56 PM
It's also interesting that they fail to mention that Cutler wanted out as soon as Mike Shanahan and co. was axed. Bowlen sure has escaped all blame from this somehow.

McDaniels is passively covering for Bowlen by always deferring to "we tried to work it out but JC wouldn't communicate." I think it's more that McDaniels didn't fight for Cutler to be forced to stay for the same reason he was interested in how much he could get for Cassell. He was one of the few people in the NFL coaching or analyst world that didn't think Cutler was worth the effort.

Chris
08-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Did anyone else think the way Al Michaels was touching Harrison the whole time was a little awkward? The tension was palpable.

No one comes close to the way these two look at each other...

http://multimedia.foxsports.com/thumbnails/cached_media/0000/0000373/0000373557/images/thumb.jpg

Popps
08-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Wow, I've never heard anything but "Harrison is a cock-sucking douche-bag piece of ****" on this board.

All he had to do was trash the Broncos front office, and he's a hero!

Awesome!!

:thumbsup:

hambone13
08-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Wow, I've never heard anything but "Harrison is a cock-sucking douche-bag piece of ****" on this board.

Awesome!!

But for someone who puts so much weight in Player input you have to give it some weight...

Hamrob
08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
To be totally fair though, every QB in the league maybe besides Manning, would be a "career backup" behind Brady so if Josh wanted Cassell, him being the back up who had a great year could be understandable. And people still give Cutler way way too much credit for being an elite QB. He had a good season in terms of yardage but he still made a ton of mental mistakes and had yet to prove he could score with the elite level guys. I'm not saying I would have done the same, I've said I would have kept Cutler and sat his pouty ass down until he got over himself but I still don't think Cutler was an elite QB yet. He wasn't even the best QB in his 4 team division. Just saying.Give me a break. Cutler was in his 3rd year last season. He has everything and then some in terms of attributes that great QB's have. Trading a talent like that was idiotic...something that will haunt Bowlen for the rest of his days. McDaniels was 32yrs old and full of himself. I don't blame the stupidity on McDaniels...that was Bowlen's decision to make.

rastaman
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Spin away. No matter what was said Culter lead 98 yard drive hitting all his WRs, TEs and backs on excellent passing. He showed excellent mobility in the pocket and did what a great QB does ` make plays.

I am rewatching the game now, that first almost pick was very good read by Goodman, but Hester showed his inexperience in running that route and not cutting fast enough.

Well rumor has it that one of the reasons McD entertained/considered trading for Cassel was b/c he believed Cutler couldn't be taught McD's system and operate efficiently. Cutler on his return to Invesco wanted to show McD that he couldn't be further from the truth. He wanted to show his detractors that he is a complete QB.

Popps
08-31-2009, 07:25 PM
But for someone who puts so much weight in Player input you have to give it some weight...

Sure, he's one guy with an opinion. He made a nice case for what he believes, which I happen to think is incorrect. (As have others, including players.)

The point is, it's just amusing to see this guy who's been vilified around here for years pop up as some kind of respected folk-hero after he trashes our franchise.

Honestly... people stroking Harrison's junk?

Maybe we can dig up Dale Carter and see if he'll talk **** about the franchise.

rastaman
08-31-2009, 07:26 PM

Awesome!!

No Popps what you heard was honesty from someone who was no longer wearing an NFL uniform and wasn't drinking the Kool Aid anymore of management and HC can do no wrong. Thats why you need to question why all of Marshalls teammates are aledgedly backing the HC on their stance against Brandon's behavior. ;)

elsid13
08-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Well rumor has it that one of the reasons McD entertained/considered trading for Cassel was b/c he believed Cutler couldn't be taught McD's system and operate efficiently. Cutler on his return to Invesco wanted to show McD that he couldn't be further from the truth. He wanted to show his detractors that he is a complete QB.

We all know that BS. Give a Cutler a running game and he take it to another level. One of the reason I hated Mike Bell move to FB was because he seemed to be that constant 3 to 5 yard guy that help relieve pressure on Cutler. When they made the move to Henry the whole thing went down hill.

Popps
08-31-2009, 07:31 PM
No Popps what you heard was honesty from someone who was no longer wearing an NFL uniform

And I didn't argue with that.

If you want to play along, here... you're going to have to sharpen up, junior.

My comment wasn't that he has a bias. It was simply that it's interesting to see THIS guy, of all people being quoted around here by Broncos fans as some sort of guru after people have called him dog-**** for the last 10 years.

When should I expect the "Hey, did you guys read Bob's comments on McDaniels" thread?

Clearly, we need a tribute to Bob. I mean, if Harrison gets one... Bob should be up next.

NYBronco
08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
He was spot on with his comments. Now the only question remaining is when will all the rest of the bronco fans wake up so we can move onto a real front office. I do not understand how mcd can get so much support while only doing damage to this team.

It does not make you a good fan to blindly support stuff that is bad for the team. I swear some would help hold the gun if this franchise made it public that they want to shoot themselves in the face. If you don't support that decision then you obviously aren't a good fan....

Cowher won't come to Denver and be an assistant for McDaniels.

Where did this come from that happy unicorn land?

rastaman
08-31-2009, 07:33 PM

My comment wasn't that he has a bias. It was simply that it's interesting to see THIS guy, of all people being quoted around here by Broncos fans as some sort of guru after people have called him dog-**** for the last 10 years.

When should I expect the "Hey, did you guys read Bob's comments on McDaniels" thread?

Clearly, we need a tribute to Bob. I mean, if Harrison gets one... Bob should be up next.

Thanks for the clarification...."Grand Daddy"!:thumbs:

Popps
08-31-2009, 07:34 PM

Hey NY, I just heard Al Davis had some things to say about McDaniels' moves. I'll post the thread soon. I think it's really important that we respect his opinion.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Sure, he's one guy with an opinion. He made a nice case for what he believes, which I happen to think is incorrect. (As have others, including players.)

The point is, it's just amusing to see this guy who's been vilified around here for years pop up as some kind of respected folk-hero after he trashes our franchise.

Rich Gannon said essentially the same thing on Sirius today. There is a player opinion that I recognize as valid. Don't get me wrong, I hated Gannon... but only because the guy didn't play for us.

Popps
08-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Rich Gannon said essentially the same thing on Sirius today. There is a player opinion that I recognize as valid. Don't get me wrong, I hated Gannon... but only because the guy didn't play for us.

Agree on Gannon, and there's no lack of commentators out there with opinions on either side of how it went down. That part isn't really a surprise.

Again, the humor is just people on this forum quoting Harrision about anything. They wouldn't have pissed on this guy if he was on fire last week, and now that he jumps up McD's ass about something, he's suddenly a respected, quotable source.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 07:42 PM

So by posting what he said and thinking that he made a better debut in broadcasting than Emmit Smith or Neon Leon I created a Folk Hero and am stroking his Junk?

His comments are relevent as he worked UNDER the Broncos HC, the fact that he thinks a mistake was made is newsworthy.

Just the fact that he didn't think Cassel was worth trading for is newsworthy.

I am guessing that someone didn't bother reading all of my post. They only read what they wanted to read.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Cowher won't come to Denver and be an assistant for McDaniels.

Where did this come from that happy unicorn land?

I can't believe someone has already stolen my UnicornHappyLand already!

It's less than 4 hours old, the InTErnets is a fast place!

LOL

Popps
08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
So by posting what he said and thinking that he made a better debut in broadcasting than Emmit Smith or Neon Leon I created a Folk Hero and am stroking his Junk?

Dunno, but I'm sure you would have dedicated a thread to him if he said it was dead-on the right handling of the situation....

right.

Of course.

You're just being impartial and quoting an impartial source.

Duh.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Enjoy UnicornHappyLand, maybe you and TSIguy69 can romp together where the grass is orange and the sky is blue and unicorns do the mile high salute after ass ****ing everyone in UnicornHappyLand

Chris
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Bring this guy in for MNF

http://www.nopactalent.com/speakerphotos/photos/6224Eddie_Kennison.jpg

Popps
08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Enjoy UnicornHappyLand, maybe you and TSIguy69 can romp together where the grass is orange and the sky is blue and unicorns do the mile high salute after ass ****ing everyone in UnicornHappyLand

NO WAY, dude. Things are BAAAAAD!

BE AFRAID!!!!!

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 08:00 PM

BE AFRAID!!!!!

Now you understand.

There is a cold wind of change blowing through UnicornHappyLand these days.

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 08:05 PM

BE AFRAID!!!!!

...but things ARE bad....

NYBronco
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
...but things ARE bad....

... and have been bad for years.

orinjkrush
08-31-2009, 08:07 PM
we will NEVER know the "truth".
move on. nothing to see here.

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 08:12 PM
... and have been bad for years.

Mike did set himself to a "SB every year" standard and didn't meet his own expectations, so by the defition of "bad" that is "failing to reach an acceptable standard", then yes.

But if you think that's bad, you better buckle the **** up, kiddo, because everything that wasn't bad about the football team the past 2 years is out the ****ing door and there's no turning back.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Mike did set himself to a "SB every year" standard and didn't meet his own expectations, so by the defition of "bad" that is "failing to reach an acceptable standard", then yes.

But if you think that's bad, you better buckle the **** up, kiddo, because everything that wasn't bad about the football team the past 2 years is out the ****ing door and there's no turning back.

You underestimate the power of the word:

DENIAL

Rock Chalk
08-31-2009, 08:48 PM

Nice spin job. Cutler made a couple of good throws on the drive, and a couple of bad throws on the drive, 2 of which SHOULD have been picked off and he had a receiver make one helluva catch to keep that drive alive.

Once again Cutler gets more credit than he deserves.

Boobs McGee
08-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Anyone else listen to Rodney speak about the Broncos HC last night?

I was expecting the typical ex-pro speaking without really saying anything.

In essesence Rodney said he knew the Broncos HC from his time as D assistant and explained the Broncos HC history coaching for the Patsy's. He said he felt that the Broncos HC was an open minded coach and didn't under stand why he would have any conflict with Cuter.

Rodney in response to a question from Collingsworth said that he felt trading the Franchise QB from Denver is the biggest mistake the Broncos HC has made so far as a head coach.

Rodney then talked about Jay being able to make all the throws and being athletic that he gave the D more to prep for than other QB's.

When Al asked Rodney to explain why the Broncos HC would want to trade for Matt Cassel Rodney said he could not understand why the Broncos HC would want to trade a Franchise QB for a career backup, "no offense to (Matt) I love the guy"

After the Challenge Al asks him why the Broncos HC would want Cassel and Rodney said that Matt was the Broncos HC "guy" and he wanted his guy and ended up having to deal with "the cards that were dealt" because of the fallout from wanting his guy.

He then went on to talk about Tom Terrific coming back etc...

I was impressed that Rodney felt he didn't have to be flashy or shocking in his debut interview like other retired pros who have gone into the booth and feel that they have to become a personality rather than use their football experience to add to a broadcast.

I still haven't found a full transcript on the IntERnets yet but there is this:

http://wildcat-4-life.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/15217795/16909254

I was impressed with Harrison and his take, and I was glad to hear him talk about the Broncos HC from his experience with him while at the Pats.

Okay, here's my feeling on the entire situation.

Josh fielded calls regarding possibilities with Cassel. Nothing formulated (it was my understanding that he wasn't contacted in time to make ANY decision, be it trade talk or dismissive talk).

Josh lied to Jay about the talks. (stupid move, but he's new in the position and made a mistake)

Jay got butthurt. (also understandable, no one likes getting lied to. )

what happens next is, imo, josh trying to rectify the situation, and jay not letting that happen.

Possibility of talented young qb and talented young coach to make history this year, gone.

YES, I blame cutler ultimately for leaving. Josh ****ed up by lying, but did (from all outside appearances) everything in HIS power to make amends. Jay unfortunately was unable to get past that breach of trust, unable to see the possibilities of the future, unable to swallow his pride...and unable to get past the fact that anyone in the league is tradeable.

Whatever.

After hearing Rodney's comments during the game, some of my earlier thoughts pertaining to the situation were solidified, and the bolded areas are what I'm discussing here. They stood out to me the most.

1. Rodney (and no matter how much I dislike the guy, he was a player in DIRECT connection with the coach) talked about how he thought Josh was an open minded individual, and couldn't understand why he had any conflict with Jay. I interpret that as, Josh had no problem dealing with GIANT superstars in N.E., and can't figure out why he couldn't find some common ground with Jay. It sounded TO ME like he was inferring that it was more of a Cutler problem, as Josh was open minded and used to working with big egos.

2. The second two bolded paragraphs confuse me. Essentially, he is asked the same question, and gives two different answers. Why he wanted (and/or wanted to trade for) Cassel?
- Answer one, I don't know why he'd want to trade a franchise qb for a career backup. I DONT GET THIS EITHER. It's the most baffling part of the whole offseason equation to me. Hard for me to believe that McD, an offensive guru with an affinity for turning qb's into production factories, would come in and trade a talent (yes, I think jay has talent. or had, because he's the enemy now and can suck a big floppy donkey dick) like jay? Even though the possibility WAS for a guy he was comfortable with, I just find it extremely hard to believe he would be THAT EGOTISTICAL. Apparently, Rodney agreed to an extent, because he didn't understand either.

- Answer two, he wanted his "guy". So now, after a brief reflective period, he comes back with a quick reply to the same question. The, "popular", answer imo. Because Cassel is his guy. I get this argument, people. McD is offered the man who has been in the system for a few years. He PLAYED the system for a year. He gets the ins and outs, the subtle nuances, etc etc that are involved with the one of the most (allegedly) difficult offenses in the nFL. From any outside perspective, that would seem a perfectly logical choice. EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT HE HAD A QB WITH TALENT ALREADY.

I think, if we could have seen what kind of reaction mcD would have had, IF given the opportunity to pull the trigger on that trade, this would all be a distant memory. Isn't there a possibility Josh would have brought cassel in JUST to be a continued backup? To act as a supplemental piece in the puzzle, helping to bring our "pro bowl" caliber qb up to speed a little quicker? How do we know he wasn't trying to find ways to jettison some of the garbage left from a horrid defense, along with some possible late round draft picks?

WE DONT

For all we know, when he was contacted (he wasn't "shopping", mind you) about cassel, he could have just as easily said thanks, but no thanks. He could very well have ALSO said, get cassel over here we'll pay whatever you want.

I guess, when I listen to people like Rodney, who at some point in time were directly involved with Josh, it reinforces my resolve that McD really wasn't the one pushing Jay out of town. Yes, he lied. ****ed up. But, as rodney pointed out, he's an open minded guy, and one that I believe tried to make amends.

WOW okay i'm done, apologies for the spelling/punctuation/blah blah blah.

Just had to get that out

broncswin
08-31-2009, 09:14 PM

wrong sir, his TE made him look good with a couple of excellent receptions, the one challenged is one he wouldn't make 4 times outta ten.

KU KLUX KOLORADO
08-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Harrison is a low class thug. NBC dropped to a new low when they hired that scumbag.

DomCasual
08-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Harrison is a low class thug. NBC dropped to a new low when they hired that scumbag.

How many accounts do you have now?

Dr. Broncenstein
08-31-2009, 09:19 PM

Says the classiest mofo on the board, with the classiest handle in the history of ever. DIAF troll...

Lolad
08-31-2009, 10:43 PM

did you know that it was Cutlers 3rd year in the NFL last year? I guess thats why he hadn't reached that elite status yet, guess what he was still LEARNING!

gunns
08-31-2009, 11:28 PM

Bingo!

gunns
08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
we will NEVER know the "truth".
move on. nothing to see here.

Truest statement in this whole thread.

gunns
08-31-2009, 11:33 PM

I think that's what many posters have done on this board, regurgitate what they hear as fact...and what they want to believe.

summerdenver
09-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Okay, here's my feeling on the entire situation.

Josh fielded calls regarding possibilities with Cassel. Nothing formulated (it was my understanding that he wasn't contacted in time to make ANY decision, be it trade talk or dismissive talk).

Josh lied to Jay about the talks. (stupid move, but he's new in the position and made a mistake)

Jay got butthurt. (also understandable, no one likes getting lied to. )

what happens next is, imo, josh trying to rectify the situation, and jay not letting that happen.

Couple of nitpicks with your story.

Josh did not try to rectify initially, he played hardball. Remember Culter came to Denver for for voluntary workouts but Josh McDaniels kept saying the same thing -paraphrasing here - "Its a business and I will do the same thing if it improves my team in future". IIRC they had a couple of telephone conversations and a personal meeting but he played hardball in all those meetings. It is after that, about month later, at the owners meetings that McDainels said for the first time that Cutler is my QB. At this point Cutler was gone and he did not let him rectify the situation as you said. Me thinks Josh is too egotiscal and wants to win his way and never tried to rectify the situation till it was too late on purpose. Just my hunch ....

Also Multiple media sources reported that Broncos actually proactively pursured the trade, not just listened to trade offers. Thats Broncos version of the story, Cutler camp says that they found out from the team that was trying to acquire him. Reportedly, Broncos let it be known that cutler is available during senior bowl. At this point who knows which version to beleive but i would put it in there.

chrisp
09-01-2009, 04:36 AM

Some people need to wake up and realise that the FANS do NOT make coaching or front office appointments! We have no control over such things.

Yet we CAN help the team by supporting it on Sundays. Its not just the Cutler/McD thing. For years now the tendency for home fans to boo their own team has been a new development that sickens me.

Thing is, with McD there's so much unflinching negativity and hostility from some quarters, that anyone who just wants to give the guy a chance feels compelled to defend him to the max! I'm not in the 'pro McD' camp at all, I'm in the 'wait and see' camp, but I feel like I'm being labelled as a 'mcd nut-hugger' or a 'mcd apologist' if I cannot accept the simple fact that he is a disastrous coach who knows nothing and has gambled away the future of the franchise for nothing just because of his ego!

Watching Cutler fling it around that night, I did feel some sympathy for the haters. I really felt a sense of being gutted that we no longer have that arm behind center and could understand how someone could sink into dispair to see that traded away.

Thing is, you have to remember that he didn't play like that every week (cough - raiders - cough) and more importantly, he didn't play like that for us when it really counted, late in the season when the must-win games and/or games came up he was found wanting.

No one man is worth a whole team and its not like we gave him away for nothing: it will take a year or two to see what we have in the new rookies, and of they fulfil their potential there is a good chance that we will be able to say we got fair value.....