PDA

View Full Version : Peter King's MMQB - some great McDaniels quotes

DomCasual
08-31-2009, 10:46 AM
I realize this was mentioned in the Chris Collinsworth thread, but I wouldn't have seen it there had I not done a search - so I figured it deserved its own thread.

I, for one, like Josh McDaniels a lot. I felt jealous watching Cutler play last night - I won't lie. But I'm glad we have Josh McDaniels here. And going back, I would take him again - assuming Shanahan was hell-bent on keeping Slowik around.

I do wish Josh was here WITH Cutler. But since that's not happening, I am left with only really liking (and pulling for) Josh.

Uh-oh. Now there's something new for the Broncos: Storm clouds, the kind that roll in over the Rockies many afternoons and drench the plains. I found the vanquished more interesting. From his car early this morning, McDaniels sounded a little edgy. Almost angry, but not quite. Defiant might be a better way to put it. I can see what Pat Bowlen saw in him, and still sees in him. Bowlen shows no signs of wavering on McDaniels, no matter how many things keep going maddeningly wrong, and I think the owner would have loved to have heard his coach as the nightmare of the loss sank in.

"Kyle was fine tonight,'' said McDaniels. "What was he, 12 of 16, something like that? [Exactly.] He's not our issue, and I don't believe he's going to be. He's a good player who knows what to do. He's accurate, he knows the offense, he's well-respected by the guys in the locker room. But it's hard to get into a rhythm when you have 10 penalties, six holding calls and put yourself in bad situations over and over again and it always seems like it's first-and-20.''

I mentioned to him that Cris Collinsworth made a good point on the telecast, saying he felt sorry for Orton, because Orton had nothing to do with this Cutler/Denver/McDaniels war and yet would probably be identified with it for the rest of his career.

"Well, I can tell you that certainly I don't feel sorry for Kyle Orton,'' said McDaniels, his voice rising an octave or two. "Kyle Orton is one tough son of a b****. Kyle Orton doesn't feel sorry for himself, and no one feels sorry for him in our locker room. What he has here, both with the coaching staff and in the locker room, is a tremendous amount of respect.''

As for his own mental state after the public and private battering he's taken, the 33-year-old McDaniels sounded passionate. "I have never felt sorry, not once, for anything going on here. And certain not for myself,'' he said. "I love this game. I love this city. I love the passion of the fans. It was fantastic in that stadium tonight. And I'm blessed to have a chance to coach these players, in this city. I'm thrilled about the locker room we have and the kind of players we have. We're all in. I mean that. I was in the locker room tonight after the game, and I looked around, and I saw it. We're all in. We've got a veteran locker room with strong-minded people who care about winning and not all the BS.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/30/mmqb/?eref=sihpT1#ixzz0PmdOfBDz

Beantown Bronco
08-31-2009, 10:51 AM
I would like to know if he was looking up and to the left or down and to the right when he said this. And how many times did he clear his throat?

Florida_Bronco
08-31-2009, 10:52 AM
I like Josh even more now.

SoDak Bronco
08-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah I am with you...but Cutler puts so much more stress on defenses, Orton is just an avg. Qb that can't make all the throws. He is not the long term answer for Denver

KevinJames
08-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Love it this is why I am not gonna panic like everyone else all he does it state facts and back up his players by showing belief in them. Seems like all the players got his back too.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 10:55 AM
What is the Cartman Quote?

"You will respect my Authoritye!"

That was all I could think about when I heard him being interviewed by that old lady on the sidelines.

BigPlayShay
08-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Another quote I enjoyed:

http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_13235534

"It was a great atmosphere, certainly more than six on a scale of one to 10," said Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, who couldn't resist taking a shot at Cutler's comment earlier this month when he said the Bears' training camp environment ranked a 9 to Denver's 6.

yerner
08-31-2009, 10:57 AM
0-3.

Rohirrim
08-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Good for Josh. I like to hear that. I've noticed more fire in this team as well. Thanks, Dom. :thumbs:

BigPlayShay
08-31-2009, 11:00 AM
0-3.

Yup, no shot at that elusive Pre-Season Championship.

lex
08-31-2009, 11:01 AM
0-3.

This is the ulitmate truth. Not that he's 0-3 in the preseason but that if he doesnt win, words are going to hold less meaning.

SoDak Bronco
08-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Lions were 4-0 last year...how'd that turn out for them?

kappys
08-31-2009, 11:07 AM
0-3.

0-0 Actually

Bob's your Information Minister
08-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Kyle Orton is one tough son of a bitch!

Gondor needs no king!

Smiling Assassin27
08-31-2009, 11:13 AM
i wonder how many 'you knows' were edited out.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Kyle Orton is one tough son of a b****!

Gondor needs no king!

What is the word on Steve Bono 2.0? I heard Analhead gasped when Steve Bono 2.0 went down vs the Seahags.

Bob's your Information Minister
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
He's fine.

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 11:36 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/josh_mcdaniels_ruiner_tshirt-p235672401333394217troh_210.jpg

Just sayin........

jhat01
08-31-2009, 11:53 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/josh_mcdaniels_ruiner_tshirt-p235672401333394217troh_210.jpg

Just sayin........

I thought your hair was shorter than that

BroncoMan4ever
08-31-2009, 11:57 AM
i know the Pats have won multiple super bowls the last decade and the fans love them, but i would wager the stadium last night was the loudest McDaniels has ever heard during a home game. talk about a cool way to open your HC career at home.

Boobs McGee
08-31-2009, 11:57 AM
nice quotes, got me fired up!!!! I like McD more and more everytime I read things like this.

BRING ON CINCY!!!!

ITS TIME FOR THIS PARTY TO GET STARTED

LETS GO BRONCOS

JJJ
08-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Only the first half counts for anything in the preseason.

0-3 in the first half being outscored 40-13.

Panic no, mild concern may be warranted though.

Still expect the Broncos to have a good start with the relatively easy first three games.

Inkana7
08-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Awesome quotes.

Mr.Meanie
08-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Got to love the fire from McD! Let the haters hate, just keep on doing what you believe. :thumbsup:

listopencil
08-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Kyle Orton is one tough son of a b****. Kyle Orton doesn't feel sorry for himself, and no one feels sorry for him.

listopencil
08-31-2009, 12:15 PM
I heard that Orton made himself bleed last night just to give Brandy a chance to play.

listopencil
08-31-2009, 12:16 PM
I also heard that the spots on the field where Orton's blood spilled are now covered in bushes. Growing on the bushes? Spare organs and body parts for sick children.

Pseudofool
08-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Great stuff. Some might question his judgment (I don't), but I don't see how anyone can question his attitude.

RMT
08-31-2009, 12:18 PM
This is the ulitmate truth. Not that he's 0-3 in the preseason but that if he doesnt win, words are going to hold less meaning.

yeah, the Detroit Lions undefeated preseason last year made them Super Bowl contenders, right? :nono:

TonyR
08-31-2009, 12:19 PM
0-3.

Yes, the final 3 games of last season were tough...

listopencil
08-31-2009, 12:19 PM
I heard that once during a game Hester needed more time to get open so Orton threw the ball around the entire Earth. It came back around and it landed 12 yards past the LOS, right in Hester's arms, a perfect strike. The NFL still refuses to give him credit for those yards but that doesn't bother Orton. Orton doesn't feel sorry for himself, and no one feels sorry for him.

barryr
08-31-2009, 12:21 PM
The Broncos killed themselves with penalties last night. That more than anything stopped them in many of their drives.

listopencil
08-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Once, in a preseason game with the Bears, the ref's accidentally handed Orton a running chainsaw instead of a football. He played with it anyway, ran it in for a TD himself so no one would get hurt. Kyle Orton is one tough son of a bitch.

Ambiguous
08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
yeah, the Detroit Lions undefeated preseason last year made them Super Bowl contenders, right? :nono:

This gets said way too often, and I don't think it's applicable to us this year - We are leaving our #1's in the game longer than all the other teams this year.

Ambiguous
08-31-2009, 12:29 PM
They're going to need that strength. How about this eight-game stretch, starting in Week 4: Dallas, New England, at San Diego, at Baltimore, Pittsburgh, at Washington, at San Diego, Giants (on a three-day week).
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/30/mmqb/?eref=sihpT1#ixzz0Pn4eM0NN

Oh ****, two SD road games this year.

JJJ
08-31-2009, 12:31 PM
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Well Rivers does own Mile High lately.

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 12:37 PM
"It was a tale of two teams. Chicago, the team on the rise with the petulant franchise quarterback, Jay Cutler (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7760), who forced a trade from the Broncos. Denver, the team on the stumble that let the franchise quarterback go and dealt for Chicago's retread Kyle Orton (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7282). Chicago rising. Denver on the ropes."

Anyone else accidentally read that as "Chicago's retard Kyle Orton"?

bpc
08-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey, i love the lip service. The problem I have is this, look how built up the guy is over this preseason game. He takes it personally that he got upstaged last night and I heard he was fired up last night and almost enraged during this conversation with King a day later.

The real games haven't even started yet. What happens if we struggle? This guy is going to meltdown this year when things don't go to plan. Unfortunately I think a lot of hotheaded people can sympathize with this guy but it isn't going to make it all better when adversity gets thrown at his feet. He's going to boil over and blowup.

I like you McDaniels, as a person, but act like you been there and keep an even keel. It's going to be the only way you make it through a LONG 16 game season.

Mr.Meanie
08-31-2009, 12:56 PM
almost enraged? really?

Chris
08-31-2009, 01:06 PM
"It was a tale of two teams. Chicago, the team on the rise with the petulant franchise quarterback, Jay Cutler (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7760), who forced a trade from the Broncos. Denver, the team on the stumble that let the franchise quarterback go and dealt for Chicago's retread Kyle Orton (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7282). Chicago rising. Denver on the ropes."

Anyone else accidentally read that as "Chicago's retard Kyle Orton"?

That's called dyslexia.

ZONA
08-31-2009, 01:09 PM
And here we all are asking BM to grow up. Seems like there are several guys on this board that have easily got BM beat on the immature scale, that's for damn sure.

broncofan7
08-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Awesome quotes.

Indeed. Now about his team's performance..........

houghtam
08-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Anyone else remember the last couple years where teammates were complaining about other teammates laughing and joking in the locker room after a loss? Or seeing them on the sideline laughing during a blowout, you know, like they didn't care?

Since preseason wins or losses don't count for anything, it's at least encouraging to hear that players are taking it seriously.

BroncoBuff
08-31-2009, 01:22 PM
"Kyle was fine tonight,'' said McDaniels. "What was he, 12 of 16, something like that? [Exactly.] He's not our issue, and I don't believe he's going to be. He's a good player who knows what to do. He's accurate, he knows the offense, he's well-respected by the guys in the locker room. But it's hard to get into a rhythm when you have 10 penalties, six holding calls and put yourself in bad situations over and over again and it always seems like it's first-and-20.''

That's some frantic rationalization right there ...

scorpio
08-31-2009, 01:24 PM
That's some frantic rationalization right there ...

Is he wrong?

AbileneBroncoFan
08-31-2009, 01:29 PM
5-11

That was Bill Belichick's record his first season in New England, with Drew Bledsoe, a pro bowl quarterback. Here are the seasons since:

11-5, Super Bowl champs
9-7
14-2, Super Bowl champs
14-2, Super Bowl champs
10-6, lost in 2nd round
12-4, lost in AFC Championship
16-0, lost in Super Bowl
11-5

In that time span, we've gone to the playoffs exactly 3 times, winning one game and getting run out of the gym by the Colts (who Belichick went on to beat en route to a Super Bowl title) the other two years.

It's not how you start. It's how you finish. And the Denver Broncos sure as **** haven't finished a season well in a long time. Are we going to be Super Bowl contenders this year? No. Next year? Probably not. But after McDaniels takes out the trash that has been collected here over the years and puts in people who put the goals of the team ahead of personal interests and who care about winning and winning only, we'll be much better off than we have been the past 3 years.

Yall are acting like McDaniels has lost everything and he hasn't even coached a game yet, let alone had time to build this team into the way it needs to be to be a legitimate contender.

BroncoBuff
08-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Is he wrong?

In some areas, yes.

McD said, "he's not our problem."

Oh yes, yes he is. This offense is mega-loaded at 10 spots. Guess which one is not? ;D

Punisher
08-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Don't worry @CutlerBears6 (http://twitter.com/CutlerBears6) the finger doesn't hurt, turns out whiskey is one hell of a pain killer.

http://twitter.com/KingNeckbeard

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 01:47 PM
5-11

That was Bill Belichick's record his first season in New England, with Drew Bledsoe, a pro bowl quarterback. Here are the seasons since:

11-5, Super Bowl champs
9-7
14-2, Super Bowl champs
14-2, Super Bowl champs
10-6, lost in 2nd round
16-0, lost in Super Bowl
11-5

In that time span, we've gone to the playoffs exactly 3 times, winning one game and getting run out of the gym by the Colts (who Belichick went on to beat en route to a Super Bowl title) the other two years.

It's not how you start. It's how you finish. And the Denver Broncos sure as **** haven't finished a season well in a long time. Are we going to be Super Bowl contenders this year? No. Next year? Probably not. But after McDaniels takes out the trash that has been collected here over the years and puts in people who put the goals of the team ahead of personal interests and who care about winning and winning only, we'll be much better off than we have been the past 3 years.

Yall are acting like McDaniels has lost everything and he hasn't even coached a game yet, let alone had time to build this team into the way it needs to be to be a legitimate contender.

McD isn't Bill Belichick..........

DomCasual
08-31-2009, 01:48 PM
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

They have the commissioner in their back pocket.

What a load of BS.

Popps
08-31-2009, 01:54 PM
I like Josh even more now.

Agree. Great quotes. Direct, and hit the nail right on the head.

MaloCS
08-31-2009, 02:06 PM
I would like to know if he was looking up and to the left or down and to the right when he said this. And how many times did he clear his throat?

I hear ya. Were his beady, little eyes darting back and forth?

oubronco
08-31-2009, 02:15 PM
"One tough son of a bitch"

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 02:22 PM
"One tough son of a b****"

That was pretty funny. Repped.

Steve Prefontaine
08-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Oh, yes. I'm thoroughly impressed with these quotes. These quotes are exactly what I've been waiting to hear. More quotes please.

Defense wins championships? Bull****. Quotes win Championships!

DomCasual
08-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh, yes. I'm thoroughly impressed with these quotes. These quotes are exactly what I've been waiting to hear. More quotes please.

Dude, seriously - and I want to be clear, I mean no offense with this - but you're kind of a douchebag.

Who said anything about quotes winning championships?

Seriously, you sound like a bag filled with solution intended to clean a woman's vagina.

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Dude, seriously - and I want to be clear, I mean no offense with this - but you're kind of a douchebag.

Seriously, you sound like a bag filled with solution intended to clean a woman's vagina.

http://www.how-to-clean-a-penny.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/vs.jpg

Steve Prefontaine
08-31-2009, 02:30 PM

Guess you weren't too impressed with the quotes then.

AbileneBroncoFan
08-31-2009, 02:30 PM
McD isn't Bill Belichick..........

And Bill Belichick's list of accomplishments was smaller than McDaniels' when he took over the head job in New England. Only time will tell with McDaniels, but we should at least wait and see.

DomCasual
08-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Guess you weren't too impressed with the quotes then.

Well, I started the thread.

Here's my thing about the negativity. I have no problem with negativity. I don't want to ban Lex. And while I might think you're a douchebag (don't take offense), I honor your right to be such.

But come on! Someone makes a somewhat innocuous positive comment, and guys like you jump on it like a fly on dog poop.

That's not being a beacon of objectivity. That's being a douchebag.

I'm glad we could have this talk.

Steve Prefontaine
08-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, I started the thread.

Here's my thing about the negativity. I have no problem with negativity. I don't want to ban Lex. And while I might think you're a douchebag (don't take offense), I honor your right to be such.

But come on! Someone makes a somewhat innocuous positive comment, and guys like you jump on it like a fly on dog poop.

That's not being a beacon of objectivity. That's being a douchebag.

I'm glad we could have this talk.
So you're upset because you made serious thread...and then I came along and make a joke that you didn't like. I'm sorry it upset you so much. You can contact a mod or Obama to get it deleted.

No offense, but you're kind of being a vag for getting so worked up about it. Seriously. No offense. But you're being a vag. No offense.

lex
08-31-2009, 02:45 PM

LOL. Ohhhh. This is classic.

Zing!

lex
08-31-2009, 02:46 PM
And Bill Belichick's list of accomplishments was smaller than McDaniels' when he took over the head job in New England. Only time will tell with McDaniels, but we should at least wait and see.

Are you high?

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 02:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, I was glad McD got the job over Spanuolo, but I'm not so sure about this point you're making.

Belichick had a wealth more of experience, and had coordinated a Superbowl win (his gameplan was so impressive, it's in the HoF) as the Giants DC against the Bills.

I'd say that trumps Josh's "record breaking season" which had more to do with running up the score and a lack of class than anything else, imo.

Rigs11
08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Lions were 4-0 last year...how'd that turn out for them?

yep and the colts were 0-4 last year in the preseason.

DomCasual
08-31-2009, 02:52 PM
So you're upset because you made serious thread...and then I came along and make a joke that you didn't like. I'm sorry it upset you so much. You can contact a mod or Obama to get it deleted.

No offense, but you're kind of being a vag for getting so worked up about it. Seriously. No offense. But you're being a vag. No offense.

Worked up? I called you a douchebag. How is that "worked up?"

You're just being silly now.

BroncoBuff
08-31-2009, 02:59 PM

Agree that only time will tell ... we gotta cut Josh some slack now.

But you're forgetting BB had been a head coach elsewhere before the Pats, while Josh never had a top job of any kind. And it showed with his impatient trading up and up over and over on draft day, for questionable return. It showed even more when he failed to protect the team by stipulating the Seahawks get the lower of the two 1st round picks. That was rank amateurism.

BroncoBuff
08-31-2009, 03:01 PM

LOL ... if you read those quotes closely, they are quite defensive in tone. I think he was frustrated at having lost ... the quote "fans were above a 6" shows that.

At least Jay had nice things to say about Josh, very nice. And no digs.

For a crybaby, Jay has been pretty circumspect, in public comments anyway. All down the line. I think the "fans were above a 6" is more snippy than anything Jay has said throughout.

lex
08-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Agree that only time will tell ... we gotta cut Josh some slack now.

But you're forgetting BB had been a head coach elsewhere before the Pats, while Josh never had a top job of any kind. And it showed with his impatient trading up and up over and over on draft day, for questionable return. It showed even more when he failed to protect the team by stipulating the Seahawks get the lower of the two 1st round picks. That was rank amateurism.

Actually, Belichick was also the DC for two SB champions. He accomplished far more than McDaniels has and its not even close.

BroncoBuff
08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
"It was a great atmosphere, certainly more than six on a scale of one to 10," said Broncos coach Josh McDaniels.

Sheesh, what a punk comment ... let it go Josh, he's gone. He beat you and he's gone.

errand
08-31-2009, 03:19 PM

You're wasting your time, dude....these clowns have been told of numerous occasions where hall of fame coaches started off poorly only to go on and win multiple titles...and yet they still cannot be reasoned with.

Their thoughts are based on emotions...they are mad that Mike is gone, and Jay is gone....like that day wouldn't have ever come. So they take their anger out on Josh and Kyle.

scorpio
08-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Sheesh, what a punk comment ... let it go Josh, he's gone. He beat you and he's gone.

Dude, you need to get a grip.

errand
08-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Actually, Belichick was also the DC for two SB champions. He accomplished far more than McDaniels has and its not even close.

You must be the world's smartest person. imagine that a guy who's been coaching for a few decades while being mentored by a hall of famer in Bill Parcells accomplishing more than a 33 year old coach who's not coached one solitary regular season game yet.

sheer genius.

but since you're wanting to point out accomplishments....Orton has a winning record as a starting QB, won a division title...and taken a team to the playoffs before.....what has Jay ever done besides throw for a lot of yards in losing efforts?

errand
08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
.....what has Jay ever done besides throw for a lot of yards in losing efforts?

I'll answer my own question....he blew a 4 game lead. Arguably the biggest collapse in Broncos history....if not in NFL history.

lex
08-31-2009, 03:34 PM
You must be the world's smartest person. imagine that a guy who's been coaching for a few decades while being mentored by a hall of famer in Bill Parcells accomplishing more than a 33 year old coach who's not coached one solitary regular season game yet.

So it bothers you because thats factually correct? Or are you saying its not factually correct?

but since you're wanting to point out accomplishments....Orton has a winning record as a starting QB, won a division title...and taken a team to the playoffs before.....what has Jay ever done besides throw for a lot of yards in losing efforts?

Orton doesn have a record as a starting QB. He's not a professional fighter. Teams win games. A lot of his record came when he was a rookie and was carried by a stellar defense. Its amazing that this needs to be pointed out but some people are actually this dense.

in bold

Steve Prefontaine
08-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Worked up? I called you a douchebag. How is that "worked up?"

You're just being silly now.

Vag, I was always being silly. Lighten up.

errand
08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
So tell me Lex, Lex, the big Kotex....what has Jay ever accomplished, yeah he made the pro bowl and he threw for alot of yards...but what good did it do?

did he ever lead us to the playoffs? Nope.

did we win more than half our games nope.

did we win at least half of the games he started...Nope.

But I admit, he threw a nice ball, and looked cool losing those games.

sorry but i'll take substance over symbolism.

...and I'm sorry if all this is too factually correct for you to take.

WABronco
08-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Vag, I was always being silly. Lighten up.

You're both vaginal discharges. Now break it up.

lex
08-31-2009, 03:55 PM
So tell me Lex, Lex, the big Kotex....what has Jay ever accomplished, yeah he made the pro bowl and he threw for alot of yards...but what good did it do?

did he ever lead us to the playoffs? Nope.

did we win more than half our games nope.

did we win at least half of the games he started...Nope.

But I admit, he threw a nice ball, and looked cool losing those games.

sorry but i'll take substance over symbolism.

...and I'm sorry if all this is too factually correct for you to take.

He never blocked or tackled if thats what youre asking. But neither has Orton.

errand
08-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Jay had better offensive weapons and a weak D. Kyle had weak offensive weapons and good D. that basically tells me things were even...and yet Jay has won 46% of his starts, while Kyle has won 64% of his.

nobody ever won the Super bowl without making the playoffs first...winning games is more important than flashy stats

lex
08-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Jay had better offensive weapons and a weak D. Kyle had weak offensive weapons and good D. that basically tells me things were even...and yet Jay has won 46% of his starts, while Kyle has won 64% of his.

nobody ever won the Super bowl without making the playoffs first...winning games is more important than flashy stats

Special Teams - Bears
Run Defense - Bears
Pass Defense - Bears
Running Game - Bears
Passing Game - Broncos

errand
08-31-2009, 04:08 PM
He never blocked or tackled if thats what youre asking. But neither has Orton.

No, I'm asking you what has Jay, for all his physical talents ever accomplished as a Bronco?

Run down his list of "accomplishments"

To point out the Broncos had a poor D help is meaningless. Orton had very weak offensive help. So that is a wash. Either way both were handicapped, but wouldn't it be more logical to say Orton accomplished more because he isn't as talented as Jay, and didn't have an OL, WR's like Jay had?

so who accomplished more Lex?

Kyle Orton with less offensive help, and less talent...or the highly talented, better offensively supported Jay Cutler?

errand
08-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Special Teams - Bears
Run Defense - Bears
Pass Defense - Bears
Running Game - Bears
Passing Game - Broncos

OK, so let me get this straight then....

You're defending Jay's lack of winning and all because his defense was worse than the Bears...and yet you're down on Orton for having the same handicap?

Bad defense, Jay can't win...but now you're pissed that Kyle hasn't won a preseason game with a weak defense learning a new scheme?

lex
08-31-2009, 04:13 PM
No, I'm asking you what has Jay, for all his physical talents ever accomplished as a Bronco?

Run down his list of "accomplishments"

To point out the Broncos had a poor D help is meaningless. Orton had very weak offensive help. So that is a wash. Either way both were handicapped, but wouldn't it be more logical to say Orton accomplished more because he isn't as talented as Jay, and didn't have an OL, WR's like Jay had?

so who accomplished more Lex?

Kyle Orton with less offensive help, and less talent...or the highly talented, better offensively supported Jay Cutler?

He has the team record for passing yards and a trip to the pro bowl in his second season as a starter (first knowing he had diabetes).

lex
08-31-2009, 04:16 PM
OK, so let me get this straight then....

You're defending Jay's lack of winning and all because his defense was worse than the Bears...and yet you're down on Orton for having the same handicap?

What!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/lexlucid/star-wars-darth-vader-sense.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/lexlucid/millionaire_idiot_fail.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/lexlucid/WizardLollipop.jpg

Bad defense, Jay can't win...but now you're pissed that Kyle hasn't won a preseason game with a weak defense learning a new scheme?

See above. Youre not making sense.

responses above

errand
08-31-2009, 04:18 PM
He has the team record for passing yards and a trip to the pro bowl in his second season as a starter (first knowing he had diabetes).

Wow, impressive...but is that better than helping a team win a division title and making the playoffs and winning 64% of your starts?

Are you saying that you'd rather have a team that never makes the playoffs as long as their QB throws for alot of yards and makes the pro bowl vs. a team that makes the playoffs, without a pro bowl record setting QB?

Better yet, what scenario do you think gets your team closer to the Holy Grail of the Lombardi trophy?

lex
08-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Wow, impressive...but is that better than helping a team win a division title and making the playoffs and winning 64% of your starts?

Once again, often Chicago carried Orton.

Are you saying that you'd rather have a team that never makes the playoffs as long as their QB throws for alot of yards and makes the pro bowl vs. a team that makes the playoffs, without a pro bowl record setting QB?

No.

Better yet, what scenario do you think gets your team closer to the Holy Grail of the Lombardi trophy?

The team needs to be more balanced both in terms of having more of running game and better defense, especially with Orton at QB. But we needed that anyway.

See above

DBroncos4life
08-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Again people need to get off the QBs win/loss ****. Football is a team sport. The better TEAMS win. Kyle Mother ****ing Orton isn't better QB because of his winning %. Kyle isn't a bad QB but **** people he didn't win those ****ing games himself. Do you really believe if you put Orton on the Lions team he would have a winning record? **** no he wouldn't because that TEAM is piss poor. TEAMS WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!!!!!!!!!! SAY IT SAY IT!!!!

TotallyScrewed
08-31-2009, 04:29 PM
I heard that Orton made himself bleed last night just to give Brandy a chance to play.

Come on...How many "picture this" threads would have been started on the Mane if it had been Jay holding up his finger...at least be honest with yourself.

It don't matter whether Josh feels sorry for anybody and whether the team feels sorry for Kyle or Kyle feels sorry for Kyle but the offensive performance is SORRY enough for all of them. They were bad...except for a couple of players.

They need Brandon very badly but it aint happening because of Josh.

TotallyScrewed
08-31-2009, 04:39 PM

Seems like the win-loss record just reversed itself.

AbileneBroncoFan
08-31-2009, 05:04 PM
You're wasting your time, dude....these clowns have been told of numerous occasions where hall of fame coaches started off poorly only to go on and win multiple titles...and yet they still cannot be reasoned with.

Their thoughts are based on emotions...they are mad that Mike is gone, and Jay is gone....like that day wouldn't have ever come. So they take their anger out on Josh and Kyle.

Yeah Belichick's "superior" resume includes a losing record at Cleveland. He certainly only had 2 rings when he got the gig, McDaniels has 3. But that's apples to apples. The point is everyone has to start somewhere. There was a point in time in which Vince Lombardi was a no name just breaking into the profession.

I suppose if I really wanted to piss them off I could say that McDaniels has been a part of a lot more wins in the last 8 years than Shanahan, but that is also not relevant to the upcoming season. I'm sure that if Shanahan had been fired following the 6-10 season in 1999 and Belichick was hired, these same people would be making the same arguments, talking about how that would cost us all these Super Bowls we were about to win (which we never did).

Let's just see what the guy's got, how about that? I'll be the first to say if he's not getting the job done after a couple of years, but to say he's a failure before he ever takes the field is like saying Knowshon Moreno is going to be terrible. It's simply too early to call.

Steve Prefontaine
08-31-2009, 05:04 PM
You're both vaginal discharges. Now break it up.

Fair enough. Sorry for the threadjack.

lex
08-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah Belichick's "superior" resume includes a losing record at Cleveland. He certainly only had 2 rings when he got the gig, McDaniels has 3. But that's apples to apples. The point is everyone has to start somewhere. There was a point in time in which Vince Lombardi was a no name just breaking into the profession.

I suppose if I really wanted to piss them off I could say that McDaniels has been a part of a lot more wins in the last 8 years than Shanahan, but that is also not relevant to the upcoming season. I'm sure that if Shanahan had been fired following the 6-10 season in 1999 and Belichick was hired, these same people would be making the same arguments, talking about how that would cost us all these Super Bowls we were about to win (which we never did).

Let's just see what the guy's got, how about that? I'll be the first to say if he's not getting the job done after a couple of years, but to say he's a failure before he ever takes the field is like saying Knowshon Moreno is going to be terrible. It's simply too early to call.

As what...the waterboy?...the video camera operator maybe?

AbileneBroncoFan
08-31-2009, 05:22 PM
As what...the waterboy?...the video camera operator maybe?

Actually he was a personnel assisstant for the first one, a defensive backs coach for the 2nd one, and quarterback coach for the 3rd one. Obviously Belichick saw something in him. I suppose Mike Tomlin was a stupid hire as well, since he was merely a defensive backs coach on one Super Bowl winner (TB) and a defensive coordinator for one year at Minnesota.

lex
08-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Actually he was a personnel assisstant for the first one, a defensive backs coach for the 2nd one, and quarterback coach for the 3rd one.

personnel assistant/position coach vs. defensive coordinator...yeah thats almost the same.

Obviously Belichick saw something in him. I suppose Mike Tomlin was a stupid hire as well, since he was merely a defensive backs coach on one Super Bowl winner (TB) and a defensive coordinator for one year at Minnesota.
Mike Tomlin was smart enough to not **** with a good defense just because defense was his expertise.

responses above

BroncoBuff
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Dude, you need to get a grip.

He's churlish and snippy. I'd prefer our coach to be above that ... brace yourselves, he's gonna be a sore loser.

Dagmar
08-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Really Buff, you need to get a grip.

BroncoBuff
08-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Really Buff, you need to get a grip.

Wouldn't you prefer our head coach not make snippy comments about the opposing quarterback? I sure as hell would, it's not too classy.

I understand he's frustrated, but you can't let it show, you gotta "get a grip" as you might say ;D

AbileneBroncoFan
08-31-2009, 05:45 PM
responses above

McDaniels was also offensive coordinator for New England for a few years, including during a 16-0 season.

BroncoBuff
08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
personnel assistant/position coach vs. defensive coordinator...yeah thats almost the same.

To be fair, lex ... Josh was calling the plays way back in 2005, though his title did not reflect it:

According to The New York Times, in 2008, it was McDaniels who called the offensive plays for the 2005 season, although suggestions to that effect were made in 2005. After the season, McDaniels was officially promoted to offensive coordinator, while retaining his responsibilities coaching the team's quarterbacks.

NYBronco
08-31-2009, 05:55 PM

All Shanahan had to do was finish his last three games of regular season in Denver at 1-2 and the Broncos are in the playoffs. Yet, he manages 0-3 with so much meaning that it sent him down the road out of town.

Hamrob
08-31-2009, 05:56 PM
5-11

11-5, Super Bowl champs
9-7
14-2, Super Bowl champs
14-2, Super Bowl champs
10-6, lost in 2nd round
16-0, lost in Super Bowl
11-5

Yall are acting like McDaniels has lost everything and he hasn't even coached a game yet, let alone had time to build this team into the way it needs to be to be a legitimate contender.That's great...so when is Belichick coming to Denver to coach the Broncos?

Popps
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
All Shanahan had to do was finish his last three games of regular season in Denver at 1-2 and the Broncos are in the playoffs. Yet, he manages 0-3 with so much meaning that it sent him down the road out of town.

Shanny pretty much sealed his ticket out of town when... to fix the worst D in the league, he chose this as the solution...

-Signing Boss Bailey
-Signing Marlon McCree
-Signing Niko OuttaWorkous

A third consecutive disaster season on defense, and that's what Shanahan came up with to solve the problems.

I love the guy, but that's when I knew that it was probably time to move on.

lex
08-31-2009, 06:03 PM

Yeah, who was their RB down the stretch? You knew the defense was poor. Plus the team was young and untested. Experience is the best teacher and the team was full of new players. The team was on the upswing.

NYBronco
08-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah, who was their RB down the stretch? You knew the defense was poor. Plus the team was young and untested. Experience is the best teacher and the team was full of new players. The team was on the upswing.

No question the defense was poor, it was agonizing watching so many third and longs converted into first downs. The defense had no where else to go but up and yet each year it seemed to get worse.

The injuries to RB's in Denver is a well know fact in the NFL and on the scale of the consistent lack of D in the efense.

Popps
08-31-2009, 06:20 PM

Really? Upswing?

Only if wins don't count... oh, and defensive stats.

Great to see you so optimistic, though Wow!

Hilarious!

broncofan7
08-31-2009, 06:22 PM
that's great...so when is belichick coming to denver to coach the broncos?

rofl!

DBroncos4life
08-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah I bet ND, Jets, and Browns fans thought the same thing about their new HC's that came from NE's coaching staff.

NYBronco
08-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah I bet ND, Jets, and Browns fans thought the same thing about their new HC's that came from NE's coaching staff.

Shanahan's head coaching tree compares well... Houston.

lex
08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Really? Upswing?

Hilarious!

The team McDaniels inherited (Cutler included) along with Nolan, should have won 10 games. Clady, Kuper, Harris, Royal, Marshall, Cutler and Hillis all had 2 years or less experience as starters (I count Hillis because he justified being included). Thats a lot of young talent that was only going to get better, even with Slowik but if you throw in Nolan, they should definitely been factors.

Thats not unrealistic at all.

Whats hilarious is your idea of a 4-12 season being blissful.

lex
08-31-2009, 07:03 PM

Id rather have Kubiak right about now.

DBroncos4life
08-31-2009, 07:27 PM

How long do you think it would have taken Jeremy Bates to get a HC job in the NFL? Kubes has last longer then any of the BBs coaches in the NFL as a HC.

watermock
08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
i know the Pats have won multiple super bowls the last decade and the fans love them, but i would wager the stadium last night was the loudest McDaniels has ever heard during a home game. talk about a cool way to open your HC career at home.

How about a win?

watermock
08-31-2009, 08:03 PM
I heard that once during a game Hester needed more time to get open so Orton threw the ball around the entire Earth. It came back around and it landed 12 yards past the LOS, right in Hester's arms, a perfect strike. The NFL still refuses to give him credit for those yards but that doesn't bother Orton. Orton doesn't feel sorry for himself, and no one feels sorry for him.

Now that's Spongeworthy!

Mr.Meanie
08-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Wouldn't you prefer our head coach not make snippy comments about the opposing quarterback? I sure as hell would, it's not too classy.

I understand he's frustrated, but you can't let it show, you gotta "get a grip" as you might say ;D

He was giving the fans their due for showing up big. As a fan, you got to love that.

TheReverend
08-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Now that's Spongeworthy!

If I recall, David Putty was spongeworthy, no?

lex
08-31-2009, 10:47 PM

This post still makes me chuckle. Wow. Too funny.

watermock
09-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Really? Upswing?

Hilarious!

Not really.

Anymore anyway.

Vegas_Bronco
09-01-2009, 01:31 AM
McD needs to quit answering every question thrown at him....just smile and laugh - and throw out the words, "I can't discuss team matters with healiner whores like yourself, I'm really sorry."

watermock
09-01-2009, 01:33 AM

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x45rp1_the-best-of-david-putty_fun

errand
09-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Yeah, who was their RB down the stretch? You knew the defense was poor. Plus the team was young and untested. Experience is the best teacher and the team was full of new players.

...amazingly, when others point this out about our current team, you call them lame excuses.

You've been bitching all preseason long about this team, and yet we have the same guy at RB, the defense still isn't up to speed learning a new system, and we're young and basically untested, and we've got tons of new players....but it's crutch for Jay and Mike...but it's poor coaching and QBing for Orton and McDaniels.

errand
09-01-2009, 05:42 AM

..."Yeah, that's right"

BroncoBuff
09-01-2009, 10:28 AM
He was giving the fans their due for showing up big. As a fan, you got to love that.

I love that he gave the fans credit, we deserve it.

But the dig on Cutler was not so classy. His other quotes were very defensive too.

I realize he's new to post-game interviews, let's hope he gets better at them.

lex
09-01-2009, 10:39 AM
...amazingly, when others point this out about our current team, you call them lame excuses.

You've been b****ing all preseason long about this team, and yet we have the same guy at RB, the defense still isn't up to speed learning a new system, and we're young and basically untested, and we've got tons of new players....but it's crutch for Jay and Mike...but it's poor coaching and QBing for Orton and McDaniels.

Youre not even making sense but Im glad you bring up all the new players since many of them come from NE and know this end all, be all of systems.

errand
09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Youre not even making sense but Im glad you bring up all the new players since many of them come from NE and know this end all, be all of systems.

Really? So what former Patriots are starting in Denver?

lex
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM

So now youre saying all the Patriots brought in are superfluous...all the better.

BroncoBuff
09-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Jabar Gaffney for one ... but only rarely are starters traded. Or released for that matter. We do have quite a few Patriots on the roster now.

BroncoBuff
09-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Jabar Gaffney for one ... but only rarely are starters traded. Or released for that matter. We do have quite a few Patriots on the roster now.

Hochstein, Paxton, Gaffney and LeKevin will make the team ... Brandon Lloyd and Chad Jackson probably too, although Chad was a Bronco already.

Not so sure about Gorin though, kinda doubt him actually.

errand
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Special Teams - Bears
Run Defense - Bears
Pass Defense - Bears
Running Game - Bears
Passing Game - Broncos

You really should do your research before you post clown... winners in bold

Rushing - Bears ranked 24th (104.6 ypg) Broncos ranked 12th (116.4)

Passing - Bears ranked 21st (191.3) Broncos 3rd (279.4)

Punt Returns - Bears 28th (6.7) Broncos 13th (9.8)

Kick returns - Bears 5th (24.9) Broncos 23rd (21.8)

vs.rush- Bears 5th (93.5) Broncos 27th (146.1)

vs. pass- Bears 30th (241.2) Broncos 25th (237.3)

S basically both QB's had substandard defenses to support them...and Kyle still won more games with less help on offense.

errand
09-01-2009, 05:01 PM
So now youre saying all the Patriots brought in are superfluous...all the better.

No, what I'm saying is that those who are starting for us are not familiar with the new coaches offense, (mainly because they haven't played for him prior)and that it'll take awhile to iron out the wrinkles.

I'm sure most of those brought in by McDaniels from NE were mainly to used as role players, depth, are good locker room presences, and to help him translate his offense to the other players.

Just as Kubiak did in Houston, and Parcells did in Miami ,Dallas and everywhere else he's been. It's a common practice in the NFL. you really should keep up.

lex
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
No, what I'm saying is that those who are starting for us are not familiar with the new coaches offense, (mainly because they haven't played for him prior)and that it'll take awhile to iron out the wrinkles.

I'm sure most of those brought in by McDaniels from NE were mainly to used as role players, depth, are good locker room presences, and to help him translate his offense to the other players.

Just as Kubiak did in Houston, and Parcells did in Miami ,Dallas and everywhere else he's been. It's a common practice in the NFL. you really should keep up.

How many Broncos did Kubiak bring into Houston? And how many times did he overpay for them, like your boy god?

maher_tyler
09-01-2009, 05:07 PM
0-3.

Pre-season...dumbass!

listopencil
09-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Come on...How many "picture this" threads would have been started on the Mane if it had been Jay holding up his finger...at least be honest with yourself.

It don't matter whether Josh feels sorry for anybody and whether the team feels sorry for Kyle or Kyle feels sorry for Kyle but the offensive performance is SORRY enough for all of them. They were bad...except for a couple of players.

They need Brandon very badly but it aint happening because of Josh.

What the **** are you even talking about here? Seriously, you are making no sense at all to me. What point are you trying to make?

DBroncos4life
09-01-2009, 06:18 PM
You really should do your research before you post clown... winners in bold

Rushing - Bears ranked 24th (104.6 ypg) Broncos ranked 12th (116.4)

Passing - Bears ranked 21st (191.3) Broncos 3rd (279.4)

Punt Returns - Bears 28th (6.7) Broncos 13th (9.8)

Kick returns - Bears 5th (24.9) Broncos 23rd (21.8)

vs.rush- Bears 5th (93.5) Broncos 27th (146.1)

vs. pass- Bears 30th (241.2) Broncos 25th (237.3)

S basically both QB's had substandard defenses to support them...and Kyle still won more games with less help on offense.

Errand which player would get more in a trade Jay Cutler or Kyle Orton?

errand
09-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Errand which player would get more in a trade Jay Cutler or Kyle Orton?

you tell me....the Broncos gave up a pro bowl QB for Orton, didn't they?:rofl:

Look the point is the guy has won games....he didn't win them with flashy stats...he won them nonetheless. Amazing how you cannot win ugly unless your name is John Elway.