PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall's hip injury

Gort
08-31-2009, 12:00 AM
i've been meaning to say this for awhile now. supposedly Brandon Marshall hurt his hip last year... and is crying about it now. well, F You Brandon! that's what the pads are for. you take the goddamn pads out of your pants to play and you risk injury. simple as that. don't come bitching about it later. that goes for everyone in the NFL who thinks it "looks cool" to play without thigh, knee, or hip pads in their pants.

BroncoDoug
08-31-2009, 12:02 AM
ummm, he is cryin cuz the team doctors told him there wasn't anything wrong with his hip, and when he went to his own doctors they found a lot wrong. He was misdiagnosed. All the rest of his whining is just because he is dumb...

Gort
08-31-2009, 12:06 AM
ummm, he is cryin cuz the team doctors told him there wasn't anything wrong with his hip, and when he went to his own doctors they found a lot wrong. He was misdiagnosed. All the rest of his whining is just because he is dumb...

i know that's why he's mad at the Broncos, but the point i'm trying to make is that there is a 100+ year history to the game showing how violent and injurious it is and that's 100+ years of evidence of the benefit of wearing the goddamn pads. any player who refuses to wear his pads and then gets injured bears 100% responsibility for his own injury and will get nothing but crocodile tears from me. if he'd worn his pads, he probably wouldn't have been injured.

BroncoDoug
08-31-2009, 12:14 AM
i know that's why he's mad at the Broncos, but the point i'm trying to make is that there is a 100+ year history to the game showing how violent and injurious it is and that's 100+ years of evidence of the benefit of wearing the goddamn pads. any player who refuses to wear his pads and then gets injured bears 100% responsibility for his own injury and will get nothing but crocodile tears from me. if he'd worn his pads, he probably wouldn't have been injured.

Maybe, we'll never know at this point. I know when I played in High school they made everyone wear every pad. My pants were so stuffed with pads I could of taken a hit from anything..

watermock
08-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Man. You might as well speculate that the team didn't care enough to enforce full pads.

Taco John
08-31-2009, 12:21 AM
i've been meaning to say this for awhile now. supposedly Brandon Marshall hurt his hip last year... and is crying about it now. well, F You Brandon! that's what the pads are for. you take the goddamn pads out of your pants to play and you risk injury. simple as that. don't come b****ing about it later. that goes for everyone in the NFL who thinks it "looks cool" to play without thigh, knee, or hip pads in their pants.

As far as I know, Ed MCCaffrey started that trend, not to look cool, but for greater agility.

TheDave
08-31-2009, 12:23 AM
i've been meaning to say this for awhile now. supposedly Brandon Marshall hurt his hip last year... and is crying about it now. well, F You Brandon! that's what the pads are for. you take the goddamn pads out of your pants to play and you risk injury. simple as that. don't come b****ing about it later. that goes for everyone in the NFL who thinks it "looks cool" to play without thigh, knee, or hip pads in their pants.

Where's a face palm pic when you need one?

How do we know his injury could have been prevented with a "pad"? Considering he never wore one the entire year, I'll bet his injury had nothing to do with that.

BroncoMan4ever
08-31-2009, 01:08 AM
As far as I know, Ed MCCaffrey started that trend, not to look cool, but for greater agility.

Eddie didn't wear any protection. the smallest pair of shoulder pads available and a helmet. man i miss that bad mother****er.

BroncoMan4ever
08-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Maybe, we'll never know at this point. I know when I played in High school they made everyone wear every pad. My pants were so stuffed with pads I could of taken a hit from anything..

i remember that rule. teams were actually penalized for players not wearing all the pads in my high school days

Blart
08-31-2009, 04:41 AM
Eddie didn't wear any protection. the smallest pair of shoulder pads available and a helmet. man i miss that bad mother****er.

And he'd still go over the middle without blinking

ol number 7
08-31-2009, 04:57 AM
And he'd still go over the middle without blinking

Maybe he hurt his hip when he fell on the Mickey D wrapper and put his hand through the TV. Now he he trying to blame the Greek. Greek don't know about Mickey D falls. Get over it Brandon. My knee and shoulder hurt every day and I'm workin not whinin.

Dendave
08-31-2009, 07:12 AM
You have to wear full pads in high school to meet insurance requirements. All players do. The NCAA also requires players to wear full padding.

Eagles cornerback Sheldon Brown expected to protect himself in the NFL. He remembers striding out to the practice field the first day of training camp as a rookie in 2002 all padded up for battle.
"You get picked on if you put that stuff on," he said. "That first day the vets say, 'Look at the rook – rook don't know how to dress.' "
Brown discarded the pads.
"It was tough at first," he said. "Mentally, you're thinking, 'My body's not fully protected.' But that first game, you get up off the ground and you're thinking, 'I'm OK.' The next day, you wake up, and your legs are fine. You realize you can do this. You feel much better running around without them."
But the people coaching the players don't feel better about it.
"It drives me crazy," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "They do it for speed – no restrictions on their legs and that sort of thing. But they also take shots at their legs. I mention it in training camp. But you can't make them do anything. You say, 'I'd appreciate it if you put those pads on. Don't come crying to me if you get hurt.' "

Longtime NFL observers say the reduction in pads began in the late 1980s. It picked up steam in the 1990s with the Deion Sanders generation. The less padding you wear, the faster you feel. And those pads aren't coming back.

In 1987, the NFL banned blocking below the waist on changes of possession. Kick coverage units are traditionally stocked with receivers and defensive backs, who no longer had to worry about their legs.
Then in 1995, the NFL removed wording from the rule book that required players to wear knee, thigh and hip pads.
"The game is played with the face and shoulder pads now," said Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, a member of the NFL competition committee. "They got rid of all the low blocks, the cutting and those types of things. With the exception of certain positions, rarely are there people on the legs. If you want to know whose legs are getting hit, look around and see who has thigh pads on: running backs, tight ends and those kind of guys."
Hines Ward said he's not sure the Steelers even stock hip pads in the equipment room. The last member of the Green Bay Packers to wear hip pads was Desmond Howard – in 1999.
"It's an edge, especially for receivers and DBs," Ward said. "Most receivers aren't getting tackled as much, maybe five or six times a game. And most of the time, receivers get tackled high. His chances of getting hurt are a lot slimmer than a running back or another position.
"I've been hit in the hip a couple of times and got some bruises. The last time I had a hip pointer was in college – and that was wearing hip pads. If it's your time, it's your time, pads or no pads."