PDA

View Full Version : Goalline/Short Yardage blocking?

lex
08-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Does anyone remember Wiegmann getting ragdolled by Briggs at the goal line on the play before our first TD? Did anyone notice that immediately after that, we ran it right at Clady and were able to punch it in?

A lot of our running tonight happened because of the TEs cracking down and the OTs pulling. We also had a lot of success running with the fullback. Any thoughts on our running game so far and looking forward?

BroncoDoug
08-30-2009, 11:43 PM
there is something missing with the running game, and I can't figure it out. I would like to see knowshon back there to see what he brings, but hillis needs to be out there, a lot. Thats all I know

lex
08-30-2009, 11:48 PM
there is something missing with the running game, and I can't figure it out. I would like to see knowshon back there to see what he brings, but hillis needs to be out there, a lot. Thats all I know

I just watched a pitch get blown up because Chad Jackson cant block anyone. Harris pulled but ended up taking Chads guy in the chest, which drastically altered the play. All of our WRs, save Marshall, suck at blocking for the run. I mean, really suck.

Elway777
08-30-2009, 11:51 PM
They need to run behind Clady on every play. Clady is an animal. They need to put Larsen in at the goal line . Did you see Larsen take out 2 guys with his block.

atomicbloke
08-31-2009, 12:27 AM
You got to remember that we were against a very good Bears D tonight

lex
08-31-2009, 12:32 AM
You got to remember that we were against a very good Bears D tonight

Perhaps but after throwing over 600 times last year and with the introduction of this pass happy offense and all of its SG formations, you have to wonder if the OLine has become pussified where the running game is concerned...or maybe if it simply isnt there with this group.

We need to be able to run.

TheDave
08-31-2009, 12:34 AM
This group was drafted specifically for the ZBS... they are still having trouble with straight ahead man to man blocking. I think it will get better as time goes on.

footstepsfrom#27
08-31-2009, 12:52 AM
This group was drafted specifically for the ZBS... they are still having trouble with straight ahead man to man blocking. I think it will get better as time goes on.
I agree, but I wonder how MUCH better. This is no longer a small O-line, but they're also not the Hoggs. A pure power running game doesn't seem to be what they're built for. It seemed to me that the nice runs in the 2ns half came mostly on 1 cut and go ZBS type stuff. Part of it's that Hillis is our only good back right now.

lex
08-31-2009, 12:56 AM
I agree, but I wonder how MUCH better. This is no longer a small O-line, but they're also not the Hoggs. A pure power running game doesn't seem to be what they're built for. It seemed to me that the nice runs in the 2ns half came mostly on 1 cut and go ZBS type stuff. Part of it's that Hillis is our only good back right now.

A lot of our good runs in the 2nd half came with a fullback.

WolfpackGuy
08-31-2009, 04:09 AM
Wrong linemen for the type of running game "The Coach" is trying to use.