PDA

View Full Version : I told you so

Pseudofool
08-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I must say I'm not surprised that so many would start threads and repeatedly post a number of I told you sos, but I'm still struck by the lameness and, really, the analytical dishonesty. To suggest somehow that the Bears showed us what's what is to not only ignore that this is preseason but to confuse and conflate a number of offseason story lines into one ubiquitous crow-eating session for McD and his supporters is asinine.

Sure Cutler looked great on the last drive, but before that our porous defense was preventing him and his offense from getting anything going. Before Orton's injury their numbers were nearly identical. Orton looked fine, and while the offense stalled, the penalties and the lack of Moreno, Gaffnay, and, yes, Marshall hurt. And beyond the last drive of the half, the defense looked better than I've seen it in years, but somehow that barely worths mentioning.

While this thread contributes the redundancy, I couldn't help myself. I just don't get how some of these clowns consider themselves fans. I mean to cheer the success of the opposing team is unforgivable.

TheDave
08-30-2009, 10:40 PM
We have a massive probelm at the QB position and the Bears don't... That's tough to get over.

Sorry, but it's a VERY impotant position and If I'm not mistaken the hardest one to find. We will probably spend the next several seasons looking for a new one.

Jabar Gaffney has a broken thumb... Thats going to hurt.

Brandon Marshall... That continues to hurt.

Kuper got injured

1st team Defense had moments yet still gave up 17 pts in a half.

We lost... again.

Sorry but I'm having trouble finding a bunch of positives.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2009, 10:42 PM
We have a massive probelm at the QB position and the Bears don't... That's tough to get over.

Sorry, but it's a VERY impotant position and If I'm not mistaken the hardest one to find. We will probably spend the next several seasons looking for a new one.

Kuper got injured

We lost... again.

First team D really only gave up 10. You cant blame them for a 3 yard drive...and if you don't see improvement in that, youre just looking to be negative

Malcontent
08-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I really think we can beat the Browns!!

GoBroncos DownUnder
08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
I must say I'm not surprised that so many would start threads and repeatedly post a number of I told you sos, but I'm still struck by the lameness and, really, the analytical dishonesty. To suggest somehow that the Bears showed us what's what is to not only ignore that this is preseason but to confuse and conflate a number of offseason story lines into one ubiquitous crow-eating session for McD and his supporters is asinine.

Sure Cutler looked great on the last drive, but before that our porous defense was preventing him and his offense from getting anything going. Before Orton's injury their numbers were nearly identical. Orton looked fine, and while the offense stalled, the penalties and the lack of Moreno, Gaffnay, and, yes, Marshall hurt. And beyond the last drive of the half, the defense looked better than I've seen it in years, but somehow that barely worths mentioning.

While this thread contributes the redundancy, I couldn't help myself. I just don't get how some of these clowns consider themselves fans. I mean to cheer the success of the opposing team is unforgivable.
Agreed with everything EXCEPT the injuries coment! (I never raise the "what ifs" of injured players)
Until Cutler put together that ONE drive all I saw was 2 average QB's trying to dink and dunk their way to a touchdown. If cutler continues to struggle to find his WRs, his (media imposed) status as a "franchise QB" might be threatened!

Most interesting part of the entire night was the FINE journalistic contribution of that chick on the sideline (Anrea Cramer?), who said Champ Bailey believes that Brandon Marshall is no more than a "50/50" to come back to the team after his antics at training! Champ and the other vets are clearly annoyed! (Can anyone get a WORD FOR WORD account of that report?)

kamakazi_kal
08-30-2009, 10:44 PM
gosh dave...... try this cherry kool-aid..... it's yummy.
OHH YEAHHH.

lex
08-30-2009, 10:44 PM

42 words.

Pseudofool
08-30-2009, 10:45 PM
We'll disagree here. I don't think Orton is anything great. But a "massive problem" deserves consideration for overstatement of the day.

Sorry but I'm having trouble finding a bunch of positives.My point wasn't to be pollyanneish here. But rather to dispel the notion that we got owned or at that McD and his supporters should eat crow. Hope that clarifies.

kamakazi_kal
08-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Agreed with everything EXCEPT the injuries coment! (I never raise the "what ifs" of injured players)
Until Cutler put together that ONE drive all I saw was 2 average QB's trying to dink and dunk their way to a touchdown. If cutler continues to struggle to find his WRs, his (media imposed) status as a "franchise QB" might be threatened!

Most interesting part of the entire night was the FINE journalistic contribution of that chick on the sideline (Anrea Cramer?), who said Champ Bailey believes that Brandon Marshall is no more than a "50/50" to come back to the team after his antics at training! Champ and the other vets are clearly annoyed! (Can anyone get a WORD FOR WORD account of that report?)

who gives a ****...... WINS are what count.... you really think were a better "team" without him?

Pseudofool
42 words.That's how I roll. And **** commas.

TheDave
First team D really only gave up 10. You cant blame them for a 3 yard drive...and if you don't see improvement in that, youre just looking to be negative

Sorry boss, but when your QB plays like ours, your going to have to defens a lot of short fields.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Sorry boss, but when your QB plays like ours, your going to have to defens a lot of short fields.

Ummm, So suddenly hester's HUGE return was the QBs fault? Wow. By the way, in the first two preseason games our offense moved the ball well. And lets not blame orton for todays performance (not all of it)..lets blame the GAZILLION PENALTIES we had on offense today. Open your ****ing eyes and think instead of just screaming.

Popps
08-30-2009, 10:48 PM

Dave, I'm just not sure how you're 100% certain of this before we've played a single game. As the thread stated, their stats were about even until Kyle got hurt. Take away the ****ing penalties for us, and I'll guarantee you we would have put more points on the board.

Sure, Cutler will throw for more yardage this season. Doesn't mean he won't have problems, and it doesn't mean the Bears will go onto have more success than we will over the next few seasons. Plenty of teams have fancy QB yardage numbers and ****ty records. We should know all about that.

TheDave
08-30-2009, 10:49 PM
We'll disagree here. I don't think Orton is anything great. But a "massive problem" deserves consideration for overstatement of the day.

Orton has played ike garbage for the majority of the preseason... If he plays like this in the regular season we have a massive problem.

Popps
08-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Orton has played ike garbage for the majority of the preseason... If he plays like this in the regular season we have a massive problem.

He didn't play like garbage tonight, and he threw one bad pass after a WR missed a TD pass last week.

That's two weeks of pretty solid play. Far from garbage.

Not greatness, but not garbage, either. 92 QB rating tonight. Garbage?

DBroncos4life
08-30-2009, 11:01 PM

Lets not over look the fact that one QB went to a team with a awesome OL and WRs with a QB friendly pass happy O and the other QB went to a team with a poor O and little weapons and a run first coach.

The fact is Orton really hasn't shown much other then the fact that he can maybe manage the team till he gets rattled I am less then impressed with OUR O.

Cutler looked like Cutler but with a D.

TheDave
08-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Dave, I'm just not sure how you're 100% certain of this before we've played a single game. As the thread stated, their stats were about even until Kyle got hurt. Take away the ****ing penalties for us, and I'll guarantee you we would have put more points on the board.

Sure, Cutler will throw for more yardage this season. Doesn't mean he won't have problems, and it doesn't mean the Bears will go onto have more success than we will over the next few seasons. Plenty of teams have fancy QB yardage numbers and ****ty records. We should know all about that.

You can qualify it all you want... Preseason, injuries, penalties etc.

We have watched him play for 3 games... I can only judge what I have seen. So far he is garbage.

He's thrown 1 td pass and 4 picks in almost 60 attemps with a sub 70 qb ratting...

DBroncos4life
08-30-2009, 11:03 PM
He didn't play like garbage tonight, and he threw one bad pass after a WR missed a TD pass last week.

Points pops we have to score points. I honestly am starting to think we might not even get to middle of the road in scoring this year.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Points pops we have to score points. I honestly am starting to think we might not even get to middle of the road in scoring this year.

Seriously, its a completely new offense and we are 3 PRESEASON games in. We're missing Moreno, Marshall, Gaffney...can we seriously give it at least 3 regular season games before we go bat**** crazy?

TheDave
08-30-2009, 11:05 PM

Sorry Popps but we don'y count "almost" TD passes... and tonights stat line read:

12/16 for 96 yards... That doesn't get it done in the NFL.

BroncoMan4ever
08-30-2009, 11:07 PM

Kuper got injured

We lost... again.

the 1st team defense gave up 10 points. give me a break on the 5 yard drive of the Bears. Hester is the one who turned momentum and fired up the Bears for the rest of the half.

Orton looked decent going up against a good defense until he got injured, and isn't a problem. i can't wait til the end of the season when his play has many posters here eating crow or claiming they believed in the guy all along.

i just hope Kuper and Orton are both fine and good to go for the season opener.

Broncos4tw
08-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Pseudo, you are fooling yourself if you think Cutler and Orton "looked similar." They are nothing alike. Cutler did screens just as Orton did. The difference is that Cutler's were sharp lasers right on target. Only a blind-man could not see the difference. And of course, anything over 10 yards, Cutler looks heaps better. Cutler had a nice touch throw over defenders, and a longer laser right on target. Orton has had NOTHING amazing. No lasers, no deep balls, and even his medium throws are quite off. He can't seem to lead the receiver, and he has not scrambled at ALL. He cannot scramble.

I'm really hoping we can make due with what we have. But Orton has been severely underwhelming so far. He is at best, average. Griese Part II. We had a sharp QB, we decided we didn't want anyone with a temper, attitude, or anything else, so he is gone. I expect Marshall will soon follow. Leaving us with a bunch of average guys... but they WILL be "team players," so I guess we always have that!

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Pseudo, you are fooling yourself if you think Cutler and Orton "looked similar." They are nothing alike. Cutler did screens just as Orton did. The difference is that Cutler's were sharp lasers right on target. Only a blind-man could not see the difference. And of course, anything over 10 yards, Cutler looks heaps better. Cutler had a nice touch throw over defenders, and a longer laser right on target. Orton has had NOTHING amazing. No lasers, no deep balls, and even his medium throws are quite off. He can't seem to lead the receiver, and he has not scrambled at ALL. He cannot scramble.

I'm really hoping we can make due with what we have. But Orton has been severely underwhelming so far. He is at best, average. Griese Part II. We had a sharp QB, we decided we didn't want anyone with a temper, attitude, or anything else, so he is gone. I expect Marshall will soon follow. Leaving us with a bunch of average guys... but they WILL be "team players," so I guess we always have that!

No **** cutler is a better QB than orton, but did you really just compare how they throw screens?

DBroncos4life
08-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Seriously, its a completely new offense and we are 3 PRESEASON games in. We're missing Moreno, Marshall, Gaffney...can we seriously give it at least 3 regular season games before we go bat**** crazy?

Ah so now talent is needed. What happened to the system is bigger then just one players? I mean don't get me wrong I'm not going bat whatever crazy, just being a fan. We have nothing to believe that we can count on Marshall this year. Moreno looks good so he should help, and I have nothing to say about Gaffney.

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Is it about number or points? Because I'm almost certain I heard a few hundred times so far that it's supposed to be about points. Orton had by my count, either 1 or 0 first downs throwing the ball. Eddie took a short pass 19 yards mostly on his own and Hillis caught one but I can't remember if he was beyond the sticks or not. We had a grand total of 3 first downs in the first half with Orton in there. He did what he always does...throw 4 yard screens and similar stuff. With him in the game we got a measley 3 points and a whole lot of 3 and outs. Penalties are part of the game and the offense hardly should get a pass because they're commiting penalties. Frankly this offense looks like crap. We have almost no vertical passing game when Orton is in there, and the rushing game had 9 yards at halftime because the Bears were jamming the middle and bringing a safety...I don't think they figured they had much to fear over the top. In all honesty, at this point I'm wondering if the blocking schemes this unit is playing with are hurting them, or maybe their not used to them yet. In the second half it appeared the best runs were following the SZB system. I saw several decent runs which were 1 cut and go like we used to do.
Who has actually cheered the other team so far? All I hear is people talking straight about what they're seeing. Yes some are still bitching about the front office or McD but who is actually rooting against the team?

This whole sanctimoneous "good fan" crap is getting tiresome. You know what I think a good fan is? Someone who doesn't try to define for everyone else what a good fan is.

peacepipe
08-30-2009, 11:23 PM

I generally leave post like this alone cuz i'm trying to be positive but the Griese comparison is one that has crossed my mind the past week. I hope he proves this wrong.

Pseudofool
08-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Pseudo, you are fooling yourself if you think Cutler and Orton "looked similar." Are you purposefully misquoting me? I said their numbers were similar and Orton looked fine. Later in the thread, I say I'm not great fan of Orton (but calling him a massive problem is just disingenuous). The differences between Cutler and Orton are as plain as white bread.

TheDave
08-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Are you purposefully misquoting me? I said their numbers were similar and Orton looked fine. Later in the thread, I say I'm not great fan of Orton (but calling him a massive problem is just disingenuous). The differences between Cutler and Orton are as plain as white bread.

instead of massive problem would you prefer the phrase "Should not be starting"?...

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Two out of three games so far Orton has been the 2nd best QB on the field for Denver.

Pseudofool
08-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Is it about number or points? Because I'm almost certain I heard a few hundred times so far that it's supposed to be about points. Actually it's about regular season wins, so points mean about as much as yards do in the preseason. Frankly this offense looks like crap. This is another overstatement. I guess it depends on how far "this" stretches back. While I'm also troubled by the zero deep throws or even deeper mid range throws and concerned about the running game, the offense seems to me to be able to move the ball. Whether those drives end up in TDs remains to be seen, but I'm not about to nitpick why every drive didn't end and the best possible outcome. (Couldn't we do this same process more meaningfully with Jay last year in our last three games.)

This whole sanctimoneous "good fan" crap is getting tiresome. You know what I think a good fan is? Someone who doesn't try to define for everyone else what a good fan is.Not everyone who questions the current regime or talent is a bad fan, but while the people who use this game to illustrate how right they were and how wrong McD was might not be bad fans either, they clearly are douchebags or, at very least, a turdsandwich.

Cito Pelon
08-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Well, the way Orton's forefinger was bleeding, I doubt he'll be starting for about four weeks. That's gonna need stitches.

Pseudofool
08-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Two out of three games so far Orton has been the 2nd best QB on the field for Denver.Relative comparisons speak nothing to absolutes.

I could cherry pick three weeks where the same would be true of Cutler, esp. if he has a bad game, which he will.

Taco John
08-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Sorry Popps but we don'y count "almost" TD passes... and tonights stat line read:

12/16 for 96 yards... That doesn't get it done in the NFL.

12 for 16 isn't so bad.

Pseudofool
08-30-2009, 11:40 PM
That's gonna need stitches.Meh. Superglue. Ten minute fix.

Taco John
08-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Well, the way Orton's forefinger was bleeding, I doubt he'll be starting for about four weeks. That's gonna need stitches.

Buff may get his wish and Simms ends up being our starter afterall. I suspect that he's drunk and passed out in some tattooist's den right now with his pant leg rolled up, and his sock rolled down.

TheDave
08-30-2009, 11:43 PM
12 for 16 isn't so bad.

I will admit this, he has improved his completion % since he began running the All-Screen offense.

BroncoMan4ever
08-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I generally leave post like this alone cuz i'm trying to be positive but the Griese comparison is one that has crossed my mind the past week. I hope he proves this wrong.

**** that. Griese led the team to 11-5 and a playoff berth while being named to the pro bowl.

Cutler led us to a 17-20 record no playoffs, and a middle of the pack offense.

i'll gladly take the less athletically gifted QB like Griese or Plummer over Cutler if it means more wins.

DBroncos4life
08-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Buff may get his wish and Simms ends up being our starter afterall. I suspect that he's drunk and passed out in some tattooist's den right now with his pant leg rolled up, and his sock rolled down.

So our choice is limited to a one handed QB who we know can't throw left handed or a QB with one leg. I would hope the Tom B gets a shot first.

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Actually it's about regular season wins, so points mean about as much as yards do in the preseason.
Except for one thing; the 3rd preseason game is the one that's supposed to be the closest thing to a regular season game. The starters play longer and the team game plans for it, etc...
This is another overstatement. I guess it depends on how far "this" stretches back. While I'm also troubled by the zero deep throws or even deeper mid range throws and concerned about the running game, the offense seems to me to be able to move the ball.
It's not an over statement at all. The first team offense had 100 yards, 3 1st downs and 3 points in the first half. How is that moving the ball? We have seen neither consistent drives or scoring so far in three games. More troubling is the fact that this offense seems to have only one mode of operation with Orton, the short passing game. I know this is a dink and dunk passing game but the Patriots also went down field. We do not...almost never with Orton in the game.
Whether those drives end up in TDs remains to be seen, but I'm not about to nitpick why every drive didn't end and the best possible outcome. (Couldn't we do this same process more meaningfully with Jay last year in our last three games.)
Well based on the criticism of Cutler from a lot of people in here, it was scoring and points in the red zone that were his downfall. So far we've done very little of either with Orton in the game.
Not everyone who questions the current regime or talent is a bad fan, but while the people who use this game to illustrate how right they were and how wrong McD was might not be bad fans either, they clearly are douchebags or, at very least, a turdsandwich.
Fair enough. Now tell me this...does the reverse apply as well? If this team comes out and beats Cincy in week one and we see Popps, tsidiot and the other "I'm a fan and you're not" crowd taking that same approach does that apply for them also? Because frankly 90% of this "I can't wait to mark this thread" crap is coming from the Cutler haters. We even had a thread started by somebody in here to make a list for future reference.

TheDave
08-30-2009, 11:56 PM
**** that. Griese led the team to 11-5 and a playoff berth while being named to the pro bowl.

Cutler led us to a 17-20 record no playoffs, and a middle of the pack offense.

i'll gladly take the less athletically gifted QB like Griese or Plummer over Cutler if it means more wins.

Thats the problem, it doesn't mean more wins... that's one of the reasons both #14 & #16 are out of the league and guys like Cutler are HIGHLY coveted.

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 11:57 PM
So our choice is limited to a one handed QB who we know can't throw left handed or a QB with one leg. I would hope the Tom B gets a shot first.
No...actually it's limited to a one handed QB who can't throw left handed, and a left handed QB with one leg and no spleen. ;D

Don't forget Inglewhat'shisname.

DBroncos4life
08-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Thats the problem, it doesn't mean more wins... that's one of the reasons both #14 & #16 are out of the league and guys like Cutler are HIGHLY coveted.

Man some people need to get off the QBs dick when it comes to winning and losing.

gtown
08-31-2009, 12:01 AM

The short answer is no. This board, like boards for every team around the league, is simply an output for emotional frustrations. By using logic, you are not letting them get their irrational butthurt out.

DBroncos4life
08-31-2009, 12:01 AM
No...actually it's limited to a one handed QB who can't throw left handed, and a left handed QB with one leg and no spleen. ;D

Don't forget Inglewhat'shisname.
Ingle has a rocket arm. ;)

TheDave
08-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Man some people need to get off the QB dick when it comes to winning and losing.

It's all some of these people have left...

Jay Cutler couldn't "Will" the 29th ranked defense to the playoffs in his 3rd year... Therefore JC is a bad QB. Hilarious!

Cito Pelon
08-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Meh. Superglue. Ten minute fix.

Superglue and butterfly's won't work on that one. He's out for four weeks.

Cito Pelon
08-31-2009, 12:06 AM

Buff or Simms?

GoBroncos DownUnder
08-31-2009, 05:23 AM
who gives a ****...... WINS are what count.... you really think were a better "team" without him?
Calm down son, it's PRE-SEASON, ... a pre-season WIN counts for NOTHING.

Are we a better team?
I don't know. I'm not about to start squealing and crying through the pre-season though, IMO it will take at LEAST half a season to find out.
I do KNOW for a fact that our defense is (obviously) BETTER than last year!8')

El Guapo
08-31-2009, 05:34 AM
We lost... again.

It's PREseason. I remember going 0-4 in the preseason in the 90's and didn't we win a super bowl? Now, I'm not expecting that to happen, but the sky isn't falling. Promise.

TheDave
08-31-2009, 06:08 AM
It's PREseason. I remember going 0-4 in the preseason in the 90's and didn't we win a super bowl? Now, I'm not expecting that to happen, but the sky isn't falling. Promise.

Trust me Mav... Our coach is trying to win. Our starters have played more than anyone else in the NFL and yet have scored only 2 touchdowns and recorded 0 takeaways in almost 6 quarters of work.

So I agree our record will be 0-0 in 2 weeks just like everyone else. But I've seen enough to know that we are going to struggle.

El Guapo
08-31-2009, 06:11 AM
Just trying to remain an optimist here... :) Trying. So please, help me do that.

Punisher
08-31-2009, 06:16 AM
Two things i pray for

1.We make the playoffs
2.Jay Cutler career ending injury

GoBroncos DownUnder
08-31-2009, 06:20 AM
... But I've seen enough to know that we are going to struggle.
THAT is what makes you a fan! Win/Lose/Draw/Struggle it's gonna be a great year for me!
Last year I had so many dumb-ass "fantasy football fans" approach me in the bar saying "ooooh Cutler, yay Marshall, blah, blah" and when I'd say "How 'bout Ryan Clady?" ... they had NO IDEA!

Here's to a season of "leave me the **** alone - I'm here to watch the game and get drunk with the Philly fans!" :~ohyah!:

If Players play and the Coaches coach.
Let the Supporters support and the Whiners WHINE!!!

El Guapo
08-31-2009, 06:20 AM
#2 is pretty messed up. I would never wish that on ANY person, c'mon.

Punisher
08-31-2009, 06:22 AM

Well ever body anit the same :thumbsup:

El Guapo
08-31-2009, 06:24 AM
Just remember; karma's a bitch.

GoBroncos DownUnder
08-31-2009, 06:26 AM
Agreed, It's not like Cutler turned up to practice just to act like a malcontent, goof off and kick footballs. :wiggle:

Punisher
08-31-2009, 06:27 AM
Just remember; karma's a b****.

Trust me i know trust me....

Beantown Bronco
08-31-2009, 06:30 AM
And beyond the last drive of the half, the defense looked better than I've seen it in years, but somehow that barely worths mentioning.

I guess you missed the first Oakland game and the Tampa Bay games in particular last year. You know, those REGULAR SEASON games that were actually against offenses that were game-planning....where we actually kept teams from scoring, got sacks and forced turnovers. People always seem to leave those out in their analysis of this year's pre-season defense vs last year's.

CEH
08-31-2009, 06:37 AM
You can qualify it all you want... Preseason, injuries, penalties etc.

We have watched him play for 3 games... I can only judge what I have seen. So far he is garbage.

He's thrown 1 td pass and 4 picks in almost 60 attemps with a sub 70 qb ratting...

I agree. Orton is below average. He missed several wide open recievers throwing behind him.

Again ppl look at stats or the end results to draw conclusion but you need to dive a little deeper to see the problem. I didin't see anything over 7 yards last night. Also after the trade went down you can go back and read how Orton has a better overall record than CUtler and was a better RZ QB yet now somehow Hester plays into the equation . Hester has played into the equation for Orton since '06 and the fact their D knows how to force turnovers. I think they had 30 last year compared to 13 for us .

Cutler may not be a "Franchise QB" but he's supremely better than anything we are putting on the field .

Simple 5 yard slant pattern inside the 20 Orton throws behind Royal had he hit him in stride Royal probably scores where Cutler hits his TE in stride across the field and goes for 15

Thats the difference I'm see between a starting QB and a backup QB.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-31-2009, 06:45 AM

Right, cause that never happens on the mane.

/sarcasm

Garcia Bronco
08-31-2009, 06:58 AM
I am really disaapointed in the way the team is playing. Hopefully this gets better by the end of the season.