PDA

View Full Version : Alec's Thoughts

Rock Chalk
08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
I had a few thoughts, some observations. Nothing too homeristic but certainly the pessimist crowd wont like anything I have to say.

1) I dont like the offense when Orton is in. Not because of Orton, but the playcalling. When Branstater came in we ran the ball, and well. I mean, we wrecked shop (until I turned it off anyway). My biggest complaint last year was that too often we gave up on teh run, and to date its been my biggest complaint this year. Run the ****ing ball, good things will happen.

2) The defense looks much better. I know people will point out the 98 yard TD we gave up but there were two times on that drive the ball should have been intercepted but it wasnt. Both times by Goodman I think. DJ just missed a pass deflection on a 3rd down play too. I mean, our defense played really well the rest of the first half. Cutler also made some excellent plays in that drive and benefitted by some excellent catches by his receivers too. Thats how it goes though. Sometimes even great defenses (and ours isnt, but even the great ones) will give up a long drive. We forced a lot of 3 and outs and compared to this time last year our defense is a LOT better.

3) Special Teams coverage remains a problem for the most part. The Hester return to the 4 yard line was a disaster and one we have seen all too often. That being said, I have seen some improvements in our overall Special Teams units that give me some hope in that regard.

4) Brandon Lloyd made a spectacular catch at the 1 yard line. I dont care what anyone else says, that was the most spectacular play of the game (with the Dawkins hit forcing the incompletion being a close second).

5) Eddie Royal is the best player we have on offense and that is including if BRandon Marshall comes back in the same form he was in last year.

6) Penalties killed a lot of our offense in the first half. I am confident that on our first drive of the game, had penalties not killed it we would have moved the ball down the field. In fact, Holding calls (mysteriously not called against Chicago even though Pace was getting owned and had to hold Doom on damn near every play) on our offensive line have to stop.

7) Doom looks great pressuring the passer but I was less than impressed with him in coverage. He's new so I will give him some time to learn this, but he needs work.

8) That over the middle mid range passing game is our weakness and Im sure by now the whole league knows it. Phillip Rivers will eat our lunch with that if we can't solve that problem.

9) Denver is better than both Oakland and Kansas City and our pick we traded away will not be a top 10 pick. Im confident of that now.

10) Any word on the injuries yet?

broncogary
08-30-2009, 09:46 PM
I had a few thoughts, some observations. Nothing too homeristic but certainly the pessimist crowd wont like anything I have to say.

1) I dont like the offense when Orton is in. Not because of Orton, but the playcalling. When Branstater came in we ran the ball, and well. I mean, we wrecked shop (until I turned it off anyway). My biggest complaint last year was that too often we gave up on teh run, and to date its been my biggest complaint this year. Run the ****ing ball, good things will happen.

2) The defense looks much better. I know people will point out the 98 yard TD we gave up but there were two times on that drive the ball should have been intercepted but it wasnt. Both times by Goodman I think. DJ just missed a pass deflection on a 3rd down play too. I mean, our defense played really well the rest of the first half. Cutler also made some excellent plays in that drive and benefitted by some excellent catches by his receivers too. Thats how it goes though. Sometimes even great defenses (and ours isnt, but even the great ones) will give up a long drive. We forced a lot of 3 and outs and compared to this time last year our defense is a LOT better.

3) Special Teams coverage remains a problem for the most part. The Hester return to the 4 yard line was a disaster and one we have seen all too often. That being said, I have seen some improvements in our overall Special Teams units that give me some hope in that regard.

4) Brandon Lloyd made a spectacular catch at the 1 yard line. I dont care what anyone else says, that was the most spectacular play of the game (with the Dawkins hit forcing the incompletion being a close second).

5) Eddie Royal is the best player we have on offense and that is including if BRandon Marshall comes back in the same form he was in last year.

6) Penalties killed a lot of our offense in the first half. I am confident that on our first drive of the game, had penalties not killed it we would have moved the ball down the field. In fact, Holding calls (mysteriously not called against Chicago even though Pace was getting owned and had to hold Doom on damn near every play) on our offensive line have to stop.

7) Doom looks great pressuring the passer but I was less than impressed with him in coverage. He's new so I will give him some time to learn this, but he needs work.

8) That over the middle mid range passing game is our weakness and Im sure by now the whole league knows it. Phillip Rivers will eat our lunch with that if we can't solve that problem.

9) Denver is better than both Oakland and Kansas City and our pick we traded away will not be a top 10 pick. Im confident of that now.

How do you know what Alec thinks, RockChalk?

Rock Chalk
08-30-2009, 09:47 PM
How do you know what Alec thinks, RockChalk?

He called and told me so I am relaying the message.

Dont shoot the messenger.

AlphaOmega
08-30-2009, 09:50 PM
How about Adam? what does he think?

bpc
As of right now, unless Carson Palmer can't play from injury, we lose at Cincy.

Rock Chalk
I dont know this Adam cat you speak of :)

Boobs McGee
08-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Very fair and accurate assessment there alec.

Couple things I'd like to add...

Dawkins is a ****ing crazy man. I swear every time he was in on a play, he was flying through the air. Dude hits HARD.

I think kupe goin down might have had a little bit of an influence on our first half woes...but to what degree I can't say.

Brandstater (sp?) looked suprisingly good when throwing on the run. Obviously he's pretty raw, but with somebody like McD tutoring, he could turn out to be decent.

Really hope we get to see if Orton can throw a deeper ball. Without some kind of a threat, it's going to be extremely tough to run the ball (even with a stud like hillis, who continues to amaze me) with a stacked line all year. Dont know if McD is waiting to incorporate it INseason, or if there's a lack of confidence issue on either the qb or coaches part.

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
This was Denver's weakest performance so far. The first team offense gained about 100 yards, had 3 first downs and a field goal in the first half. Orton threw practically everything in the 5-8 yard range. The running game had 9 yards rushing in at the half. The penalties contributed but so what? That's part of the game. Likewise on defense. You can look at allmost any drive and say, "What if _____ didn't happen?" Well ______ did happen, and once again...ZERO DEFENSIVE TURNOVERS. They worked all camp on this and we could easily go intno the regular season without havin a single take away. Wasn't this a prime Nolan selling point? Ayers, Smith and McBath are all playmakers...a new secondary too...yet we're now -8 in the TO department...not good.

Postives:

1) Dumervil looks like he's going to be hard to knock out of the OLB position.
2) Hillis again...why can't he get the starting RB spot?
3) Chris Baker held his own once more.
4) Brandstater...he looked cool and composed in the pocket and he can go downfield.
5) Punters looked good

NFLBRONCO
08-30-2009, 10:00 PM
This team needs as many reps as it can get and injuries are really slowing our growth.

Pick Six
08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Very fair and accurate assessment there alec.

Couple things I'd like to add...

Dawkins is a ****ing crazy man. I swear every time he was in on a play, he was flying through the air. Dude hits HARD.

I think kupe goin down might have had a little bit of an influence on our first half woes...but to what degree I can't say.

Brandstater (sp?) looked suprisingly good when throwing on the run. Obviously he's pretty raw, but with somebody like McD tutoring, he could turn out to be decent.

Really hope we get to see if Orton can throw a deeper ball. Without some kind of a threat, it's going to be extremely tough to run the ball (even with a stud like hillis, who continues to amaze me) with a stacked line all year. Dont know if McD is waiting to incorporate it INseason, or if there's a lack of confidence issue on either the qb or coaches part.

I still have confidence that McDaniels hasn't even begun to open the playbook, yet. While I stop short of calling him a genius, he is a very, very good offensive coach. There HAS to be more plays than screen passes and quick outs...

Popps
08-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Good thoughts, Alec....

A couple of notes...

-I think Lloyd and McKinley are going to be tough to cut. Both of these guys are capable of big things. McKinley was my pre-season pick for surprise fan favorite, and I think he might surpass even my hopes.

-We did let Hester get loose, but our coverage has been excellent for the most part, outside of that. We really have been greatly improved on STs all around.

-Agree about running the ball. We've got to work this out. Moreno will help, but we've got to get this thing going. We've got too much talent not to be running better than we are.

-The penalties were insane. Just out of control. We killed a couple of our drives this way. Who knows what we do scoring-wise without those. I don't recall that as a problem in the other games, but maybe Ed H's crew was bucking for lots of prime-time face-time.

TheDave
08-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I still have confidence that McDaniels hasn't even begun to open the playbook, yet. While I stop short of calling him a genius, he is a very, very good offensive coach. There HAS to be more plays than screen passes and quick outs...

Their are "Deep" options available almost every play... Our QB is choosing not to throw to them.

During one of the many dump-offs, Stokely was WIDE open running down the seam.

Why, is the big questions...

Pick Six
08-30-2009, 10:06 PM
-The penalties were insane. Just out of control. We killed a couple of our drives this way. Who knows what we do scoring-wise without those. I don't recall that as a problem in the other games, but maybe Ed H's crew was bucking for lots of prime-time face-time.

Clady had an unusually bad day in the penalty department. I have confidence he can get that worked out...

TheReverend
08-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Tonight

Alec's Thoughts

Last Saturday

Who's Alec? It's Adam or Rock Chalk

TheReverend
08-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Their are "Deep" options available almost every play... Our QB is choosing not to throw to them.

Why pray-tell? I've heard he has a big-arm all off-season and recently that he looks like Tom Brady.

Rock Chalk
08-30-2009, 10:09 PM
I see people clamoring on about Cutler here.

Cutler put together ONE good drive. Yes, it was a great drive but for the most part, against DENVERS DEFENSE, he looked pedestrian. ANd even on his 98 yard drive, he had 3 throws that were terrible decisions and 2 of which could easily have made him a look really bad in this game.

When Orton went out of the game with a cut in his finger, his stats were, at the time, BETTER than Cutler's. Meanwhile Orton was playing against CHICAGO's DEFENSE.

I just wish we ran the ball more when Orton was playing. On the consecutive big runs with Buckhalter and Hillis, the lines were stacked, they knew we were running and we still got big yardage. That tells me that we can run regardless and we should use that **** more when Orton is in the game.

Boobs McGee
08-30-2009, 10:11 PM

I hope you're right, because it just looked pretty blah out there to me. The first drive of the first preseason game, with all the different sets and variations, THAT was a more accurate indicator (albeit a small one) of things to come. I'm with you though, I think there is going to be a LOT more diversity in the offense.

I just wish we knew the reasoning behind it ;D

Damn privileged information!

TheReverend
08-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Cutler put together ONE good drive. Yes, it was a great drive but for the most part, against DENVERS DEFENSE, he looked pedestrian. ANd even on his 98 yard drive, he had 3 throws that were terrible decisions and 2 of which could easily have made him a look really bad in this game.

When Orton went out of the game with a cut in his finger, his stats were, at the time, BETTER than Cutler's. Meanwhile Orton was playing against CHICAGO's DEFENSE.

I just wish we ran the ball more when Orton was playing. On the consecutive big runs with Buckhalter and Hillis, the lines were stacked, they knew we were running and we still got big yardage. That tells me that we can run regardless and we should use that **** more when Orton is in the game.

Lol, if we can isolate the time from 6:53 in the first quarter to 6:36, Orton was by far the superior QB for those 17 seconds.

Lollllllllllllllll

Seriously though, "watch the screen!"

R8R H8R
08-30-2009, 10:30 PM

Agreed. Seems to me that Cutler made his living tonight dumping off to RB's and TE's also. If I remember right, the only "deep" ball he threw was incomplete.

I might be in the minority, but the fact that the defense didn't embarrass us tonight was a big improvement in itself.

Cito Pelon
08-30-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm upbeat about the team. I liked the gang-tacking. Hester had the one good return, but that was all Hester, he hit that little tiny seam, but they caught him at the four. There was no quit.

The team didn't get disheartened when Brandstater came in. I liked the change of playcalling, that shows the versatility of the O. Pitchout left, pitchout right, rollouts. Brandstater has some major NFL skills. I don't want to get too excited about the guy right now, but I liked his command, I liked how he ran the O. I liked how he took the hits from the passrushers. He took them right on his chest, he didn't try to turn aside, thereby taking the hit on his shoulder. Smart.

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 10:46 PM

Cutler led two good drives, the 98 yarder and the 10 play 58 yarder that resulted in the FG.
Chicago's D finished 21st in both scoring and yards last year. You're point was...what?

How were Orton's stats better? He acounted for 3 points and we had 3 measly first downs while he was in there. As near as I can tell, he might have been responsible for 1 of those...maybe none. Eddie took a short pass 19 yards on his own and Hillis caught one...can't remember if he was past the first down marker or not. Orton did nothing but throw his usual 3 yard passes. Brandstater looked considerably better than he did.

Malcontent
08-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Not impressed with buckhalter..But the Defense was better than last season..altogether, we look like a 500 team..

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2009, 10:51 PM

Was it me or was it obvious Pace was holding Doom in the endzone on the "almost" safety

Boobs McGee
08-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Not impressed with buckhalter..But the Defense was better than last season..altogether, we look like a 500 team..

i dunno, thought he showed some great patience in waiting for some of those holes to open up. Really looked like he had some great speed on the outside once he got a bit of a build up. Not super explosive, but smart imo.

PRBronco
08-30-2009, 10:57 PM
I love Doom and all, but we all know there's a whole other echelon or two of pass rusher out there. We all also know that Pace is gonna struggle even more handling them. Should be fun watching Jay run for his life this season :) Paging Jared Allen, put your speed mullet on!

titan
08-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Was it me or was it obvious Pace was holding Doom in the endzone on the "almost" safety

I was at the game and watched the 1st half replay when I got home (will watch 2nd half tomorrow). That definitely should have been a safety - Doom was held and holding in the end zone is a safety.

Bronco Yoda
08-30-2009, 11:02 PM
IMO the Special Teams is really looking very good besides the Hester runback. And we are talking about Hester here, one of the most dangerous returners in the game.

Popps
08-30-2009, 11:16 PM
I was at the game and watched the 1st half replay when I got home (will watch 2nd half tomorrow). That definitely should have been a safety - Doom was held and holding in the end zone is a safety.

Just watched it, and yes... no question.

Pace was holding on his jersey, then his arm as he went by. If he doesn't, it's a sack. Smart hold, but should have definitely been a penalty. (Smart because once in a while you get away with it.)

How the flag-happy refs missed that one is beyond me.

DB-Freak
08-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Damn only if avatars are showing...

Doom will be a great pass rusher in this defense.

broncocalijohn
08-31-2009, 12:08 AM
I thought Hillis played awesome and helped with Brands game in the 2nd half. He needs more touches and McD had to have seen his videos from last year with this year's runs. DJ Williams made a few good plays but I remember one either late in 1st Q or early 2nd where we had Clark? covered for short gain or loss and he does the "I am going to bump you real hard so you fall back and I make the ESPN hilight reel tonight" tackle which uses no arms and therefore doesnt stop the receiver. Punter had some great kicks inside the 5. Dumerbvil looked great and even was double covered on a few and still got pressure. Wish that one play was considered a safety as it looked Elvis was held under the shoulder pads.

Popps
08-31-2009, 12:13 AM
I thought Hillis played awesome and helped with Brands game in the 2nd half. He needs more touches and McD had to have seen his videos from last year with this year's runs.

My biggest complaint with McD thus far is that he's just not giving this guy the rock, more. Honestly, Buckhalter is what he is. I like him. But to me, Hillis represents a real problem for opposing defenses as a RB.

But, Shanahan didn't make him a starter until he had to, and McD apparently doesn't want to, either. Those are two very smart football men. They must have their reasons.

I will say this, I've heard ONE rumor that he was having trouble with the new system. Just a rumor. But, if that were the case, wouldn't just running the ball be easier than using him at 13 different positions like McD wants to?

We'll see what happens over time. I still think he should be our LeDale White, only a more versatile, refined version.

FireFly
08-31-2009, 12:21 AM
This was Denver's weakest performance so far. The first team offense gained about 100 yards, had 3 first downs and a field goal in the first half. Orton threw practically everything in the 5-8 yard range. The running game had 9 yards rushing in at the half. The penalties contributed but so what? That's part of the game. Likewise on defense. You can look at allmost any drive and say, "What if _____ didn't happen?" Well ______ did happen, and once again...ZERO DEFENSIVE TURNOVERS. They worked all camp on this and we could easily go intno the regular season without havin a single take away. Wasn't this a prime Nolan selling point? Ayers, Smith and McBath are all playmakers...a new secondary too...yet we're now -8 in the TO department...not good.

Postives:

1) Dumervil looks like he's going to be hard to knock out of the OLB position.
2) Hillis again...why can't he get the starting RB spot?3) Chris Baker held his own once more.
4) Brandstater...he looked cool and composed in the pocket and he can go downfield.
5) Punters looked good

Whether he starts or not - he will see plenty of plays this year :thumbs:

_Oro_
08-31-2009, 05:25 AM
My biggest complaint with McD thus far is that he's just not giving this guy the rock, more. Honestly, Buckhalter is what he is. I like him. But to me, Hillis represents a real problem for opposing defenses as a RB.

But, Shanahan didn't make him a starter until he had to, and McD apparently doesn't want to, either. Those are two very smart football men. They must have their reasons.

I will say this, I've heard ONE rumor that he was having trouble with the new system. Just a rumor. But, if that were the case, wouldn't just running the ball be easier than using him at 13 different positions like McD wants to?

We'll see what happens over time. I still think he should be our LeDale White, only a more versatile, refined version.

Sorry but that rumor is crap. They have Hillis learning every position on offense. Not to mention he runs a play at tailback, knocks someone while he has the ball , and the very next play comes in at fullback and knocks someone clearing the way for Buckhalter .

IndianaBronco
08-31-2009, 06:39 AM
I'll give a couple thought:

1. Brandstater did look good, but I think it was primarily because of the play-calling. We rushed effectively when he was in the game and then used him on bootlegs from play action. In these situations he only has to read half of the field and the read progression is very simply...look short, look intermediate, look long, throw it away (with all of the routes stacked on each other). Also of note, however, is that because Chicago is so thin at DB they had a very weak secondary playing for the entire second half.

2. I could not agree more on abandoning the run. Where, oh where, has the zone blocking gone. It seems that all of the runs are either from the shotgun (sweep or draw), wham blocking in a man scheme (TE shifts to middle of line and then takes out the DT), or traps with the TE blocking down and guards and tackles pulling outside. I have seen hardly any zone blocking. I can only hope that this is because the Oline is already familiar with the zone and is practicing other things in preseason. What is certain, is that with all of the passing in the 5-10 yard range in the flats, defenses are crowing the line and flexing the safeties wide or down on the LOS and we have not taken advantage.

3. The depth on defense looks awful, abysmal. Maybe it's because they don't play together, but the safeties are taking the terrible angle of last year and the middle of the line is incredibly vulnerable to the rush. We better hope that Ronald Fields stays healthy.

4. Elvis Dumerville looks like a man-child out there. He had a couple of borderline late hits on Cutler (some that were not called), but I like the nastiness. I think his attitude will be good for the D, and this is the most physical I have seen a Denver defense since Al Wilson was here.

5. Matt Prater played really well. He had some monster kickoffs deep into the endzone and he nailed his field goal. I thought Colquitt played better than Kern, and I think we keep him.

6. I liked the NBC announcing. It was nice how Collinsworth went into the game with the idea of following Tommie Harris and to see how he penetrated. The cameras had some nice shots with good explanation by Collinsworth. But, when it became obvious that the real action was between Doom and Pace, the focus of the line play switched to that matchup and there was extensive video footage of the battles as well as commentary. It is refreshing to have some (accurate) insight into line play in the middle of a telecast.

TheChamp24
08-31-2009, 06:56 AM
My thoughts:
1) Kern looked awful on his punts, he was the one who made the short punt that Hester returned to the 4. Colquitt's punts were much better IMO.

2) I don't know what it is, but McDaniels playcalling at times can get way too cute. We saw this last year as well. We had a 3rd and 2 from like the Chicago's 45ish, and we call for a pass play where Orton lobs it up to the RB running down the sideline. Not to mention that horrible double reverse when we were back in our own territory.

3) What hurt us the most were penalties. For some reason, nearly every drive we had in the 1st half was cut short by penalties. Penalties can kill a drive, and thats what happened to us. Hopefully this was just a one time thing.

4) I think getting the explosive Moreno into the offense, and if we get Marshall back onto the team, this offense could be really good as long as McDaniels keeps some balance. Although, I would like to see more down the field passing.

5) Defense looks better, but still needs a lot of work. The DL, instead of absolutely terrible, is now just defined as "bad" to me.

6) Alphonso Smith looked like camp fodder at CB out there. I am not impressed by what I've seen of the young man. Ayers seems nonexistent, just hope he makes progress.

ColoradoDarin
08-31-2009, 06:57 AM
The Pats run a whole lot more than people think they do, so I expect to see that come the regular season. I suspect that we know what we've got in the run dept, and we're trying to get the most reps for Orton so he gets comfortable sooner. When he went out and Brandstater came in we saw the run game a lot more to protect the rook - and it looked really good against the bears first team D.

Beantown Bronco
08-31-2009, 07:02 AM

Agreed. 8 rushes for 9 yards in the first half is unacceptable. All that "balance" that people kept talking about with McDaniels so far is non-existent when it comes to the first team offense.

2) The defense looks much better.....compared to this time last year our defense is a LOT better.

Disagree. Do they look better than the "end of the 2008 season defense"? Yes. Do they look better than the defense at this time last year as you state here? Nope.

Let's not forget, in week one last year, they had sacks, a turnover and held the Raiders to 0 pts until the 4th quarter when they were up by 40 pts and it was clearly garbage time. In week five, they again had sacks, forced turnovers and held TB to 6 pts over the first 3 quarters and 13 pts overall.

People only choose to remember the really bad games against SD and NO, etc. But those were historically good offensive units.

With you on this one. Seems to me that they are out there for 10 or so plays a game and good things have been happening on 8 or 9 of those 10 plays each game. They just need to not let up that 1 or 2 times per game and they'll be the best ST units we've seen in some time.

yup

Agreed. I've said it after each game so far and I'll say it again, if he goes down, the Broncos won't win. Period.

I wish I was that confident. The Broncos struggle to sweep both those teams when they are clearly superior to them. This year, when they are not clearly superior, I just don't see it happening. And given the rest of their schedule, I just don't see how we rack up the necessary wins to get out of the top 10. I'd be shocked if their (I mean Seattle's) pick isn't somewhere between 6-10. Offenses that can't put the ball in the EZ and defenses that don't force turnovers simply don't win that many games in this league.

loborugger
08-31-2009, 07:07 AM

THIS!

Man, if the QB isnt the strength of your team, why would you throw predominantly?

Borks147
08-31-2009, 07:18 AM
THIS!

Man, if the QB isnt the strength of your team, why would you throw predominantly?

Because its preseason! They need to practice throwing if they have any hope of getting better! It's like saying "Man, I suck at shooting three-point shots, but lemme just nail those lay ups all practice instead of focusing on my weakness". That doesn't make sense.

Its the same reason why they aren't running Hillis like a mule. They know what they have in Hillis, they want to work on their weaknesses because THESE GAMES DON'T COUNT.

I'm having a hard time with the fact that many people don't seem to get this.

loborugger
08-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Because its preseason! They need to practice throwing if they have any hope of getting better! It's like saying "Man, I suck at shooting three-point shots, but lemme just nail those lay ups all practice instead of focusing on my weakness". That doesn't make sense.

Its the same reason why they aren't running Hillis like a mule. They know what they have in Hillis, they want to work on their weaknesses because THESE GAMES DON'T COUNT.

I'm having a hard time with the fact that many people don't seem to get this.

I hope you are right on this.

Borks147
08-31-2009, 07:26 AM
I hope you are right on this.

I hope so too. The kink in my argument is that, if its true, why aren't they trying to throw down field a little more, if that is supposedly Orton's weakness. But, then again, McD's plays might be calling for routes to be going down field and Orton simply isn't reading those routes.

I don't know, that my only concern right now actually. And the fact that Brandstater came in and started throwing is 20-30 yards down the field immediately didn't help.

Rohirrim
08-31-2009, 07:35 AM
Everybody has already said everything. I would just add that I got the sense that Hochuli was trying to dispel any notion of favoritism by flagging the **** out of the Broncos. That was a pain in the ass.

The second thing is, I'm worried that McD, as a new head coach - and young, will stick so much to his concept of what he wants that he will miss what he has. This team can run. This Oline was built to run. He needs to lay the hammer down. This team is not the Patriots. We don't have Tom Brady. But this team can run the ball. When Knowshon gets back it will be even more obvious. McD needs to get a little old school. Run hard to open up the pass.

JCMElway
08-31-2009, 08:30 AM
9) denver is better than both oakland and kansas city and our pick we traded away will not be a top 10 pick. Im confident of that now.

this.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-31-2009, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=Beantown Bronco;2531925]

Disagree. Do they look better than the "end of the 2008 season defense"? Yes. Do they look better than the defense at this time last year as you state here? Nope.

QUOTE]

You are really looking at last years defense with a rosy view. Even last preseason and the one before that, this defense SUCKED. Just a question, how many 3 and outs did our D have all of last year? Anyone know?

Tombstone RJ
08-31-2009, 09:09 AM

Yep. I think Ed Hoculi was out to prove to the NFL that he's not a closet Broncos fan by throwing 4 holding flags on the Broncos but not thowing a flag on Pace when he held Doom.

Should have been a safety but refs let Orlando Pace hold...

Beantown Bronco
08-31-2009, 09:14 AM
You are really looking at last years defense with a rosy view. Even last preseason and the one before that, this defense SUCKED.

I don't think that's the case. I readily admitted last year's unit sucked overall. My sole intent is to show that last year's defense, even though it was historically bad, it still managed to show that it could play well on occasion.

Just like this preseason. People want to say it's improved after only seeing them for about 6-7 quarters of "meaningless" play. Last year's defense had far more than 6-7 quarters of great play during the regular season.....when teams were really scheming against them and it counted.

Just a question, how many 3 and outs did our D have all of last year? Anyone know?

3 in the first Oakland game
5 in the Tampa Bay game

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 09:24 AM

I just hope Orton is not afraid to throw it down field when he has man coverage.

What I liked about the #3 guy was that he threw it downfield when he had man coverage. The pass to Lloyd (at the time) appeared to be underthrown or late and Lloyd made a great play making the catch.

I am hoping that Orton was told to work on a certian facet of the plays during PS and keep others hidden.

I am going to miss seeing the vertical passing game.

BroncoBuff
08-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Disagree. Do they look better than the "end of the 2008 season defense"? Yes. Do they look better than the defense at this time last year as you state here? Nope.You are really looking at last years defense with a rosy view. Even last preseason and the one before that, this defense SUCKED. Just a question, how many 3 and outs did our D have all of last year? Anyone know?
Beantown is right ... our defense looked very good last preseason. Held the Cowboys to 13, Texans 19, SB-bound Cards to 14. Of course the defense got worse and worse with each passing week.

And the anti-Cutler rationalizations in this thread are hilarious. He's better than Orton, lots better. Just accept that fact and move on ... we got Ayers Alphonso and Orton for Cutler, that might be the better end. I doubt it, but time will tell.

ghwk
08-31-2009, 10:08 AM
The football gods keep sending McD a message that keeps getting ignored. Hillis should be starting. The gods will keep injuring our running backs to make this so, it is the natural order of things and the longer we fight it the more the injuries will occur. It is even starting to spread to the wide receivers, linemen and QB, all offensive postions. A coincidence?? I think not. Gaffney should take this and run with it.