PDA

View Full Version : Where are the defensive turnovers?

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 09:42 PM
I realize there are a lot preseason games don't reveal, but I don't think having 0 defensive take aways can possibly be read as anything other than a significant concern. All during camp we were told this defense was working on taking the ball away. McDaniels brought in Nolan who is noted for that kind of defense. We drafted defensive playmakers in Ayers, Smith and McBath. We added three secondary starters in FA. We moved to the 3-4 which is supposed to produce more opportunities. They're practicing stripping the ball. The result so far?

After 3 games...we are -8 in the turnover department.

Most stats don't mean much in preseason but you have to wonder why this team has gone three games without gettting a defensive turnover given that this has been their major focus so far.

lex
08-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Im more focused on the improved pass rush, which has been there based on what we've seen. Getting pressure is where a lot of INTs come from.

McDman
08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Larry Coyer took them with him.

broncogary
08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Well, we are getting more pressure. I'm hoping the tide will turn in Cincinnati.

GreatBronco16
08-30-2009, 09:50 PM
We almost had a couple tonight with the pressure the front was getting. I also like seeing how the defense is punching at the ball and trying to strip it. Lord knows Dawkins was trying to knock people out with that club of his.

BroncoDoug
08-30-2009, 09:52 PM
I was wondering the same thing walking out of the stadium tonight... McD has stressed turnovers as a major part of this defense.... I haven't even seen a close one...

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 10:07 PM
If anything you would think that playing offensive units in preseason that are still trying to get their timing down, are letting rookies who barely know the playbook on the field and using a vanilla offense for the most part...that this combination of things would cause a defense to get some turnovers just by accident since the offene is probably going to make more mistakes.

ZERO IN THREE GAMES. If the pass rush is better and we're STILL not getting them...what IS the problem?

listopencil
08-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I was wondering the same thing walking out of the stadium tonight... McD has stressed turnovers as a major part of this defense.... I haven't even seen a close one...

Really? Goodman came about as close as you can get. The ball literally went right through his hands when he jumped a route.

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Really? Goodman came about as close as you can get. The ball literally went right through his hands when he jumped a route.
Exactly my point.

BroncoDoug
08-30-2009, 10:29 PM

Well you're right on that, but when I watch other games and other teams, there always seems to be close plays happening with picks and whatnot. We had like 1 good opportunity in three games...

listopencil
08-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Exactly my point.

Well you're right on that, but when I watch other games and other teams, there always seems to be close plays happening with picks and whatnot. We had like 1 good opportunity in three games...

As in why can't we cash in? I have no idea. The chances have been there.

_Oro_
08-31-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm pretty used to Denver not getting pressure, turnovers, or tackling. The pressure and tackling is MUCH improved. On every run and every completion we have a bunch of guys around making sure the tackle gets done. The pressure is better and Pace should have had a bunch of penalties tonight. I think the pressure will lead to turnovers and so will the tackling. Just by tackling and prolonging drives it gives us more opportunities to get those picks and fumbles.

WolfpackGuy
08-31-2009, 05:47 AM
Turnover?
What's that?

gyldenlove
08-31-2009, 06:05 AM
No defensive turnovers, some pass pressure, but not enough to be dangerous. no return game, coverage units seem fairly subpar. We might have done some upgrading but it is not a whole lot the way things seem right now.

Also, 10 penalties? A lot of them on offense, which is just not acceptable.

This team has a long way to go to be competitive.

Beantown Bronco
08-31-2009, 06:09 AM
Only one other team in the entire league has yet to produce a single turnover. People can try to sugar coat it all they want and talk about improved pressure, etc, but that's simply not good.

Rohirrim
08-31-2009, 08:14 AM
It's definitely troublesome. This is supposed to be Nolan's bread and butter. Of course, there are a lot of new guys coming in here and playing together for the first time. I doubt they have each others' moves down solid yet. Once they get more unit cohesion going, hopefully the number goes up.

Garcia Bronco
08-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Seriously. WTF are they?

Garcia Bronco
08-31-2009, 09:42 AM

They've been close....no lie...3 times.