PDA

View Full Version : tom b's play

tsiguy96
08-30-2009, 09:56 PM
he looked far more composed in the pocket than orton has at any point during the preseason, and was not afraid to look downfield for the open guy. ortons checkdowns are getting frustrating because hes not fooling anyone with it. sure he had an INT but it was off a WR's fingertips, and the fumble was equally his fault as it was darius'.

i want to see him more next week, when he came in hte offense just looked energized and ready to go, and he scored on his first drive against the first team D. any other opinions...

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Definitely made strides, still a big work in progress

ghwk
He has happy feet, plus until the finger cut Orton did fine.

footstepsfrom#27
Yep...our starting QB was upstaged by the 6th round rookie. Is that good or bad?

broncogary
08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Right now he can make a play when there's not much pressure on him, which was an improvement over last week. Hopefully, he'll continue to improve.

bpc
08-30-2009, 10:00 PM
He definitely has a much stronger arm. You could see it with the throw to Lloyd near the endzone.

Williams
08-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Other than the pick, he looked great. #1 positive I took from tonight's game.

DarkHorse30
08-30-2009, 10:12 PM
guys aren't getting open, and/or Orton isn't pulling the trigger. Safe safe safe....doesn't put many points on the board. Although it tends to move the chains and burn some clock. Given the crazily common 1st and 20 situations tonight (was Hochuli trying to make up for a past sin?) it isn't a wonder to me that Denver struggled. They can rarely make 10 yards in 3 plays, much less 20 or more.

That said, too bad Marshall is pouting like his buddy....and injuries are creeping in. Who are our starting WRs right now? Obviously Orton is looking for Royal, but McDaniels has to figure out a way to get his offense working with the guys he has. So far, it's not. I was hoping that this game would be a breakout game for Denver's offense, but it looks like it is going to be a long slow process for his players to buy into his schemes.

Blame it on Orton? Maybe. I think he's scared to throw picks. Not a problem in Chicago, because nobody expected anything of their offense....except run, run, pass and wait for Hester to score punt returns for scores. In Denver, Orton looks tentative.

IMO the whole offense looks tense.....especially with the excess flaggage on the field. I've never seen a lineman called for penalties on a screen like that....and they called it twice!

Cam07
08-30-2009, 10:13 PM
He's definitely still a work in progress but he showed some promise tonight. I think Orton will do fine for us but for some reason I just felt like the offense COULD be more explosive with Brandstater in there. We will see.

TheDave
08-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Oeton looked like a midle of the road QB who continues to struggle...

Watching some people act surprised by this is the surprising part.

DarkHorse30
08-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Oeton looked like a midle of the road QB who continues to struggle...

Watching some people act surprised by this is the surprising part.

Denver KNEW they were getting a middle of the roader when they traded with Chicago.....plus those two picks. Whether the HC can turn a QB into a winner for Denver is McDaniels problem. If he can't, then it becomes a problem for the fans.

atomicbloke
08-30-2009, 10:34 PM
While Brandstater is clearly a project, he does seem to have potential.... we should use this season to give him as much exposure as possible....

We aren't going to do anything much this season anyway, might as well use it to groom our possible future starters.... rebuilding all the way.... no more Shanny style half hearted rebuilding efforts...... for a rebuilding team, 5-11 isn't any different from 8-8.....

and thankfully, the Seahawks are in the NFC....

kappys
08-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Didn't get to watcfh Tommy B but good to hear that he looks the part of an NFL QB. Afterall getting drafted in the 6th as a Qb what more could any of us reasonably expect?

Cosmo
08-30-2009, 10:50 PM
I was impressed with his movement in the pocket and his arm.

mhgaffney
08-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Brandstater showed some nifty moves in the pocket -- to buy time.

Orton, by comparison, is flat footed.

Also, Brandstater completed two long passes. He was much improved from his first appearance.

I'm trying to recall -- did Orton throw even one long ball in three games? Orton's reaction time is anemic.

broncogary
08-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Didn't get to watcfh Tommy B but good to hear that he looks the part of an NFL QB. Afterall getting drafted in the 6th as a Qb what more could any of us reasonably expect?

Well, he isn't going to marry a supermodel with a haircut like that. :~ohyah!:

tsiguy96
08-30-2009, 10:54 PM

Also, Brandstater completed two long passes. He was much improved from his first appearance.

I'm trying to recall -- did Orton throw even one long ball in three games? Orton's reaction time is anemic.

brandstater stepped up in the pocket easily, and completed two long passes which one shoulda been a TD (mckinnley turns that into a TD with more experience). ortons longest throw has been about 13-15 yards in all 3 games.

lostknight
08-30-2009, 11:06 PM
I am sure that I was not the only person who watched Orton and immediately thought "Please...please..please...be a season ending injury" when he got the paper cut.

This season will be teh suck if pre-season is anything to go by (and it may not). We might as well put a rookie QB in there, and unleash the Wunderkid to teach him.

kamakazi_kal
08-30-2009, 11:10 PM
brandstater stepped up in the pocket easily, and completed two long passes which one shoulda been a TD (mckinnley turns that into a TD with more experience). ortons longest throw has been about 13-15 yards in all 3 games.

ha ha ha ... you ready to turn on orton?? yeah a 4 win season .... thats what i'd call "win now"

TheDave
08-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Denver KNEW they were getting a middle of the roader when they traded with Chicago.....plus those two picks. Whether the HC can turn a QB into a winner for Denver is McDaniels problem. If he can't, then it becomes a problem for the fans.

It's a problem for the fans...Now!

Popps
08-30-2009, 11:13 PM
I am sure that I was not the only person who watched Orton and immediately thought "Please...please..please...be a season ending injury" when he got the paper cut.

Nope. There are a ton of "fans" on this board that were probably rooting for Broncos injuries right along with you.

tsiguy96
08-30-2009, 11:14 PM
ha ha ha ... you ready to turn on orton?? yeah a 4 win season .... thats what i'd call "win now"

i told you i was gonna save the doom and gloom til the season starts. the unfair bitching before you even see anything is stupid, but now we are seeing that either orton is afraid to go downfield or mcdaniels is telling him not to, well find out week 1 because orton will be starting then. but based only on todays play, the offensive was more effective and explosive with brandstater in because he wasnt afraid of any parts of the field.

Popps
08-30-2009, 11:16 PM

I think Kyle is going to be opening it up more when the seasons starts, but we'll see. Again, he hasn't had a big problem throwing the intermediate ball in the past. (Which is a big part of the NE offense.)

I will say, though... if Brandstater plays well this coming week, McDaniels may have a decision to make as far as a #2 guy for game 1. Is Simms even going to be back?

listopencil
08-30-2009, 11:16 PM
So what happens if Brandy plays better than Orton in practice and our d becomes a D? Does McD swap them out like Shanny did with Plummer and Cutler? Wouldn't that be a hoot?

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Nope. There are a ton of "fans" on this board that were probably rooting for Broncos injuries right along with you.
Pretty sure that was simple sarcasm dickweed.

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 11:20 PM
So what happens if Brandy plays better than Orton in practice and our d becomes a D? Does McD swap them out like Shanny did with Plummer and Cutler? Wouldn't that be a hoot?
That would be utterly crazy. I can't imagine him doing it but if they don't start showing they can score some points...who knows what happens in the regular season?

TheDave
08-30-2009, 11:23 PM

Even with his significant struggles... Orton is MUCH better than Brandstater.

Lets hope chicago struggles...

24champ
08-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Get on the Tom B wagon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090831/capt.2cc84ed9354c4c6b94196180c1a24c41.bears_bronco s_football_coea112.jpg

footstepsfrom#27
08-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Even with his significant struggles... Orton is MUCH better than Brandstater.

Lets hope chicago struggles...
LOL Are you sure? How far have we fallen here? We've gone from debating whether our starting QB was deserving the pro bowl and had the strongest arm in the game to debating whether he's better than some guy named Tom Brandstater.

As sad as that is...it's also pretty funny...maybe becaue it's better to laugh than cry?

24champ
08-31-2009, 01:23 AM
In all honesty, Tom B is a little too green right now. He made a couple mistakes tonight. That's expected, but he has also shown some flashes. He has an arm, he can sling the ball around. I think he would be perfect for this system...but I want Orton or Simms taking the snaps this year, Orton is a stopgap QB in my opinion...career backup most likely.

Next year or so, Tom B could be our guy. He has a ways to go right now, potential is definitely there.

footstepsfrom#27
08-31-2009, 01:42 AM
In all honesty, Tom B is a little too green right now. He made a couple mistakes tonight. That's expected, but he has also shown some flashes. He has an arm, he can sling the ball around. I think he would be perfect for this system...but I want Orton or Simms taking the snaps this year, Orton is a stopgap QB in my opinion...career backup most likely.

Next year or so, Tom B could be our guy. He has a ways to go right now, potential is definitely there.
My fear is that Orton/Simms suck this year and Brandstater comes into a few games and looks good, maybe gets a couple starts late in the year if we're not in the race and he impresses. The draft rolls around and we pass on Tebow or another possible 1st round QB pick because we have this guy...then he turns out to be a flash in the pan.

Thinking way to far ahead I know... :giggle:

atomicbloke
08-31-2009, 01:46 AM

Honestly, how much do you expect this season? Is it a good time to groom future players?

If we are in the playoff hunt going in to November, then I would obviously stick to Orton / Simms...

But given our tough schedule, if we get too far behind halfway in to the season, I would like to see what Brandstater can do..... McD picked him because obviously he saw something in him.....

Cito Pelon
08-31-2009, 01:49 AM
he looked far more composed in the pocket than orton has at any point during the preseason, and was not afraid to look downfield for the open guy. ortons checkdowns are getting frustrating because hes not fooling anyone with it. sure he had an INT but it was off a WR's fingertips, and the fumble was equally his fault as it was darius'.

i want to see him more next week, when he came in hte offense just looked energized and ready to go, and he scored on his first drive against the first team D. any other opinions...

That's about sizing it up.

lex
08-31-2009, 01:52 AM

this

chrisp
Did you not see the phenomenal change in the playcalling when Orton went down? It seemed that with Orton in there, the few times we did run it we were determined to run it up the gut, even though that was NOT working at all. Soon as Brandstater's in there we run far more, and to the outside predominantly

I'm sure I also saw some play-action there as well....

Bransdtater does have a bigger arm and more mobility, and I'm no longer quite so terrified about how we will do with him back there, but to even compare him to Orton at this stage is insane....

lex

This is unbelievable that youd be honest in this way. Youre showing weakness.

TheDave
08-31-2009, 01:53 AM
Honestly, how much do you expect this season? Is it a good time to groom future players?

If we are in the playoff hunt going in to November, then I would obviously stick to Orton / Simms...

But given our tough schedule, if we get too far behind halfway in to the season, I would like to see what Brandstater can do..... McD picked him because obviously he saw something in him.....

Though I agree with your logic... I may not survive if Seattle gets a top 5 pick because we chose to play brandstater.

lex
08-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Did you not see the phenomenal change in the playcalling when Orton went down? It seemed that with Orton in there, the few times we did run it we were determined to run it up the gut, even though that was NOT working at all. Soon as Brandstater's in there we run far more, and to the outside predominantly

I'm sure I also saw some play-action there as well....

Bransdtater does have a bigger arm and more mobility, and I'm no longer quite so terrified about how we will do with him back there, but to even compare him to Orton at this stage is insane....

It seemed like maybe they tailored the offense to protect Orton from a scenario where he would throw INTs and then get booed in front of Cutler and a national audience.

footstepsfrom#27
08-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Orton...looks like Morton...without the arm.

24champ
08-31-2009, 02:04 AM
My fear is that Orton/Simms suck this year and Brandstater comes into a few games and looks good, maybe gets a couple starts late in the year if we're not in the race and he impresses. The draft rolls around and we pass on Tebow or another possible 1st round QB pick because we have this guy...then he turns out to be a flash in the pan.

Thinking way to far ahead I know... :giggle:

Maybe Tom B. is a flash in the pan, who knows? What if Tebow is a bust like Leinart? But your assessment is correct in that right now there's a lot of uncertainty about this position for the next few years.

Cito Pelon
08-31-2009, 02:09 AM
Other than the pick, he looked great. #1 positive I took from tonight's game.

Dude has some serious NFL skills. Mobility, accuracy, smarts, vision, velocity, excellent mechanics. This guy looks like a gamer to me.

24champ
08-31-2009, 02:09 AM

It really depends on how quickly Brandstater can pick up on things...like the playbook, reading defenses etc. I don't expect him to play much, if at all this season.

Right now, the best thing for Brandstater is to do well in preseason, continue learning under McDaniels. Soak in all the information you can get when watching game tape etc. It's the same way Tom Brady and Cassel were brought up in New England.

lex
08-31-2009, 02:11 AM

Cutler was green when he replaced Plummer midseason. But even with Cutler being green, the offense started to function better. Before Plummer was replaced, his struggles were causing the running game to be stagnant. When Cutler entered the lineup, the mere fact that he threatened all parts of the field, led to the offense to open up. It was very noticeable.

Its like Madden says. You need to throw the ball deep once in a while just to plant the seed of doubt and keep the defense honest.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-31-2009, 02:17 AM
He's a long way off.

As i mentioned in another thread, had Tom B been quarterbacking the bears and led his team to a TD against our first team defense, this board would be apoplectic. Then again, this board never thinks will perspective...but regardless, he's VERY raw and has a long way too go. Though if Orton's finger doesnt heel along with Simms' ankle, he might be our starting quarterback in cinci

24champ
08-31-2009, 02:20 AM
Cutler was green when he replaced Plummer midseason. But even with Cutler being green, the offense started to function better. Before Plummer was replaced, his struggles were causing the running game to be stagnant. When Cutler entered the lineup, the mere fact that he threatened all parts of the field, led to the offense to open up. It was very noticeable.

Its like Madden says. You need to throw the ball deep once in a while just to plant the seed of doubt and keep the defense honest.

I disagree, I really thought that putting Cutler in the middle of the season in a playoff race was a mistake. It split the locker room from what I have been told. One of the few decisions I disagreed with Shanny on.

I'm just not a big fan of putting in rookie QBs in the middle of the season, or at all during their first year.

Cito Pelon
08-31-2009, 03:02 AM
Brandstater is gonna be good. Just watch his footwork. His mechanics are perfect.

elsid13
08-31-2009, 03:39 AM
Branstater impressed me last night with his footwork. Twice I saw him step up a throw good balls with garbage at his feet. He looks far better then I remember him in College.

Traveler
08-31-2009, 04:45 AM
Though I agree with your logic... I may not survive if Seattle gets a top 5 pick because we chose to play brandstater.

Good possibility that's gonna happen whether Brandstater plays or not. It's going to be a long season for us this year. Defense is still giving up too many points and not creating any turnovers. What are we now, -10 in turnovers?

broncofan7
08-31-2009, 06:28 AM

You're an idiot--Orton was outplayed by Simms in game 1 and Tom B last night---Tom B led a TD drive against the Bear's #1 D by stretching the field with his arm strength--it is time for McD to realize his folly and once Simms comes back in 3 weeks or so--start him. By mid season I fully expect Tom B to be the backup.......

WolfpackGuy
08-31-2009, 07:03 AM
Why wait till they're 0-8?
This team is going nowhere with Orton and Simms.

tsiguy96
08-31-2009, 08:17 AM
im still dumbfounded that hillis continues to not receive carries.

Lolad
08-31-2009, 10:12 AM

this intrigues me the most, I don't know if Turner doesn't like how he's running the rock in practice or if he's choosing the wrong gaps.

jsco70
08-31-2009, 10:22 AM
this intrigues me the most, I don't know if Turner doesn't like how he's running the rock in practice or if he's choosing the wrong gaps.

Perhaps it's keeping Hillis under the radar before the season? My guess is Hillis will get 20 carries on opening day against Cincy.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 10:32 AM

But Orton is the #1 guy, how dare you question the Broncos HC decisions! If you keep this up you will be flamed on the mane and called a hater becuase you are not positive about the Broncos HC choices of QB!

/ I love the fickle winds that blow on the InteRNEts!

TheDave
08-31-2009, 10:34 AM
But Orton is the #1 guy, how dare you question the Broncos HC decisions! If you keep this up you will be flamed on the mane and called a hater becuase you are not positive about the Broncos HC choices of QB!

FWIW, his Superfan costume is at the cleaners...

lazarus4444
08-31-2009, 10:37 AM
sheeesh guys, c'mon, the O is obviously not showing everything. I think mcd has a plan in mind and that there is a reason we are throwing all these screens and it doesn't have anything to do with ortons arm....We're establishing a trend then we're going to do something diff. on opening day. Remember, the offense changes every week to exploit the opposing defenses weaknesses. I got a feeling we are sandbagging in the pre-season.

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 10:40 AM

Actually I was surprised to see Hillis get carries so early in the game. I took it as a good sign that the Broncos HC is using him to run, block, catch passes with the 1st team unit.

Is someone falling off the Broncos HC love bus or is the love bus just starting to falter a little?

I never expected MR Positive to question the knowledge, might, and authority of the Broncos HC!

ScottXray
08-31-2009, 10:56 AM

Actually it WAS a TD. The REF totally blew that call, as McKinnley clearly moved the ball past the plane before he was down. His body wasn't in but the ball was. It was a very good play by him.

And McD should have challenged THAT play...I don't recall if we had already used our two challenges at that point.

As far as Tom B. He does not show more pocket presence, and his best throws came when he had time to settle down or get out of the pocket on a rollout. His first throws were rookie like...although he did well to avoid a sack on one screen that Royal couldn't get clean on. He let the rusher come in and waited until he HAD to throw, then got it away. Overall he did much better than last week.
If Simms can't go and Orton is out this week then he is going to start next week. How's that for an unexpected developement?

broncofan7
08-31-2009, 11:20 AM
FWIW, his Superfan costume is at the cleaners...

Hilarious!

broncofan7
08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
sheeesh guys, c'mon, the O is obviously not showing everything. I think mcd has a plan in mind and that there is a reason we are throwing all these screens and it doesn't have anything to do with ortons arm....We're establishing a trend then we're going to do something diff. on opening day. Remember, the offense changes every week to exploit the opposing defenses weaknesses. I got a feeling we are sandbagging in the pre-season.

That's just indigestion..go take a rolaids......

broncofan7
08-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Actually it WAS a TD. The REF totally blew that call, as McKinnley clearly moved the ball past the plane before he was down. His body wasn't in but the ball was. It was a very good play by him.

And McD should have challenged THAT play...I don't recall if we had already used our two challenges at that point.

As far as Tom B. He does not show more pocket presence, and his best throws came when he had time to settle down or get out of the pocket on a rollout. His first throws were rookie like...although he did well to avoid a sack on one screen that Royal couldn't get clean on. He let the rusher come in and waited until he HAD to throw, then got it away. Overall he did much better than last week.
If Simms can't go and Orton is out this week then he is going to start next week. How's that for an unexpected developement?

#84 is brandon lloyd---he was the one who caught it on the 1 inch line setting up the hillis TD--and I thought lloyd was in too--he was referring to the deep ball that got us down their late in the 4th qtr on our way to scoring our 17th point.........

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 12:00 PM

We had at least one challenge left because the Broncos HC challenged a play later where the receiver had one foot on the chalk before and while he caught the ball.

I am guessing/hoping that he challenges that in the regular season but since this was PS I am hoping the Broncos HC wanted to practice his goaline O since we had not had a lot of plays at the goalline this PS.

If it were a RS game I would have screamed and dispised the Broncos HC but it was a PS game and I am hoping he just wanted to work on pounding the ball in.

tsiguy96
08-31-2009, 12:20 PM

no you ****ing retard, all offseason i told you ****tards to wait until you see whats on the field before screaming and crying about how bad thsi team is. guess what? everything you guys were crying for, dline, etc, are playing great. so maybe if you retards would wait til you actually see the team on the field before crying about how bad they will be you will stop looking like idiots when everything you were crying about turns out not to be a problem. orton is completing a ton of passes but nothing downfield which is frustrating because it keeps everyhting close. do you understand yet? we probably havent even seen the whole playbook or a real gameplan.

ZONA
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM

I agree and I also think McD see's it this way also. I've said only about a bazillion times that Orton is NOT McD's guy. He was just the guy who came over on the back end of 2 first round picks and probably out played Simms and Tom in camps to get the starting job.

I could see a situation where Orton takes the starting snaps for half the season as Tom gets to learn the playbook better and then finally takes over midway though. But he's got a long way to go. He's clearly missing alot of throws in the flats, all these timed screens and stuff. He needs more time.

DenverBroncosJM
08-31-2009, 12:37 PM
i told you i was gonna save the doom and gloom til the season starts. the unfair b****ing before you even see anything is stupid, but now we are seeing that either orton is afraid to go downfield or mcdaniels is telling him not to, well find out week 1 because orton will be starting then. but based only on todays play, the offensive was more effective and explosive with brandstater in because he wasnt afraid of any parts of the field.

I was thinking the same thing is McD telling orton not to throw to his deep threat....Im struggling to find a good reason for that though.

If we dont do it in preseason to "trick" teams thats only going to work for a couple of the regular season games and we dont really gain anything from it.

Is it because Ortons a little more fragile then we have been lead to think and McD is trying to build his confidence up?

Jekyll15Hyde
08-31-2009, 12:56 PM
and thankfully, the Seahawks are in the NFC....

And your point would be what??
Seattle gets our 1st round pick this year which is looking more and more like a top 10 or even top 5 pick.

The Seahawks performance is 1000% irrelevant to the Broncos.

rastaman
08-31-2009, 01:16 PM

Brady was drafted in the 6th round! Just saying. :wiggle:

tsiguy96
08-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Brady was drafted in the 6th round! Just saying. :wiggle:

obviously wouldnt go that far, but did you get a chance to watch him? for a 6th rounder leading the team against the 1st string D, the offense just looked so mcuh better.

rastaman
08-31-2009, 01:40 PM
obviously wouldnt go that far, but did you get a chance to watch him? for a 6th rounder leading the team against the 1st string D, the offense just looked so mcuh better.

Hell I would go that far...especially if you looked at how raw Brady was when he came into the NFL. If I'm correct I think Brady only started his Sr. at Michigan and his inexperience and rawness is why he was selected in the 6h round. McDaniels has nothing to loose with possible naming Tommy B the starter after the 9th game of season....should Denver struggles at that point. I hope Orton proves me wrong....but Kyle could have already met his ceiling of potential and what we see is what we get from him....which doesn't look like enough.

DarkHorse30
08-31-2009, 01:41 PM
It's a problem for the fans...Now!

I think you're jumping the gun. Of course McDaniels will make mistakes, as every coach does, but it will take time to know if he knows what he is doing.

It's funny to me that a lot of fans maybe forget that Shanahan started out similarly at Oakland (successful OC, in his first HC job).....with one big exception. His "franchise" Qb didn't skip town on him.

So far the offense is lagging.....but what would you expect? You have new skill players at nearly EVERY offensive position. Also, the offense is complex, with a lot of screens and movement that isn't the easiest to pick up. Plus you don't have your best WR on the field, OR your best RB (if Knowshon is as good as he looked in his brief time afield).

But the defense looks better.....credit to Dawkins making his presence felt in his first game back after injury. But there again, look how many new players are in new positions.

Time is what Denver needs right now. What choice do they/we have?

ScottXray
08-31-2009, 06:40 PM
#84 is brandon lloyd---he was the one who caught it on the 1 inch line setting up the hillis TD--and I thought lloyd was in too--he was referring to the deep ball that got us down their late in the 4th qtr on our way to scoring our 17th point.........

Thanks for pointing that out. Lloyd made a terrific play and TB got robbed out of his first NFL TD pass (even if in PS) cause of a bad call by the refs.

Speaking of Refs the officiating seemed a little one sided last night against our Offense. There was blatant holding on Pace that never got called , and it seemed like we were always getting stuck in 1st and 20 situations after any good plays.

Considering the number of times we had penalties and calls put us in holes offensively the Offense di OK in getting a few points .

I felt the D did a good job overall in the first half (starters) although they gave up the late 98 yard drive. Tremendous improvement over last year. they were pretty much stoning He Who Shall Not Be Named until then.
Even without any help from the officials.

tsiguy96
08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Hell I would go that far...especially if you looked at how raw Brady was when he came into the NFL. If I'm correct I think Brady only started his Sr. at Michigan and his inexperience and rawness is why he was selected in the 6h round. McDaniels has nothing to loose with possible naming Tommy B the starter after the 9th game of season....should Denver struggles at that point. I hope Orton proves me wrong....but Kyle could have already met his ceiling of potential and what we see is what we get from him....which doesn't look like enough.

fair enough...

NYBronco
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Perhaps it's keeping Hillis under the radar before the season? My guess is Hillis will get 20 carries on opening day against Cincy.

I just think McDaniels already has a very good idea at what Hillis can do for this offense and is giving the other backs an opportunity to show what they can do.

tsiguy96
08-31-2009, 07:38 PM
I just think McDaniels already has a very good idea at what Hillis can do for this offense and is giving the other backs an opportunity to show what they can do.

i hope so. to be fair, hillis has more touches than anyone else...

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 08:03 PM
i hope so. to be fair, hillis has more touches than anyone else...

What's up with the fixation on Hillis and his carries in a thread about our #3 QB?

Why is there talk about our #3 QB taking over this year already in week 3 of the PS?

Does that send a shudder through UnicornHappyLand?

lex
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM

Do you promise?

broncosteven
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM

Why are we talking about our #3 QB possibly taking over as the #1 in week 3 of the PS?

Orton cut his finger, prob just needed a few stitches and may need a week or 2 for it to heal up.

He will be back dinking and dunking while the team goes through the rebuilding season.

If he plays well enough he will get a contract here, if not maybe he goes to the Texans and fights REXMAN for the #3 gig.

TheDave
08-31-2009, 08:09 PM
I think you're jumping the gun. Of course McDaniels will make mistakes, as every coach does, but it will take time to know if he knows what he is doing.

It's funny to me that a lot of fans maybe forget that Shanahan started out similarly at Oakland (successful OC, in his first HC job).....with one big exception. His "franchise" Qb didn't skip town on him.

So far the offense is lagging.....but what would you expect? You have new skill players at nearly EVERY offensive position. Also, the offense is complex, with a lot of screens and movement that isn't the easiest to pick up. Plus you don't have your best WR on the field, OR your best RB (if Knowshon is as good as he looked in his brief time afield).

But the defense looks better.....credit to Dawkins making his presence felt in his first game back after injury. But there again, look how many new players are in new positions.

Time is what Denver needs right now. What choice do they/we have?

Well, I'll give you this there are a bunch of excuses there. Here is the problem... Most all of these excuses are the fault of the FO.

You say the QB skipped town... I say they traded him (Something I would NEVER have done)

You say the offense is lagging... I say it is lagging because of things the FO has done.

Such as;

1. Trading the QB
2. Trading the QB for Kyle Orton of all things
3. Firing the entire coaching staff save for Dennison and Turner
4. Installing an entirely new scheme, including significantly more man to man blocking schemes which our line was not built for.

The point is our head coach chose to change EVERYTHING at once... he could of found a way to keep Cutler... he could of kept Bates or at the very least found a way to work towards his sytem over a season or two instead of scrapping everything and starting from 0.

and here is one of my biggest gripes... He changed everything and embarked on a complete rebuild, then traded away our 1st round pick so we won't see one of the few benefits to rebuilding.

So here we are... Kyle Orton is struggling, as is our offense, and the season starts in 13 days.

Something tells me Seattle is LOVING this.

atomicbloke
08-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, I'll give you this there are a bunch of excuses there. Here is the problem... Most all of these excuses are the fault of the FO.

You say the QB skipped town... I say they traded him (Something I would NEVER have done)

You say the offense is lagging... I say it is lagging because of things the FO has done.

Such as;

1. Trading the QB
2. Trading the QB for Kyle Orton of all things
3. Firing the entire coaching staff save for Dennison and Turner
4. Installing an entirely new scheme, including significantly more man to man blocking schemes which our line was not built for.

The point is our head coach chose to change EVERYTHING at once... he could of found a way to keep Cutler... he could of kept Bates or at the very least found a way to work towards his sytem over a season or two instead of scrapping everything and starting from 0.

and here is one of my biggest gripes... He changed everything and embarked on a complete rebuild, then traded away our 1st round pick so we won't see one of the few benefits to rebuilding.

So here we are... Kyle Orton is struggling, as is our offense, and the season starts in 13 days.

Something tells me Seattle is LOVING this.

Of all his mistakes, that was the biggest one that will haunt us for years to come.

He should have absolutely insisted on trading the Bears pick.

And if the Seahawks didn't budge, and McD absolutely had to have Alphonse, he should have packaged the Bears pick with a 4th this year or the 3rd next year or a veteran player.

footstepsfrom#27
08-31-2009, 10:18 PM
If we dont do it in preseason to "trick" teams thats only going to work for a couple of the regular season games and we dont really gain anything from it.
What? You don't think teams would be caught off guard when we unwrap our secret weapon called the 15 yard pass? :giggle:

Lolad
08-31-2009, 10:24 PM
What? You don't think teams would be caught off guard when we unwrap our secret weapon called the 15 yard pass? :giggle:

lol.. There's a bunch of excuses... Seriously Orton is checking down on every throw just to take the safe route. He isn't even being pressured, it's like a hot potato. Safe throw is all we get. I think we should max protect, just like the pass he threw to Eddie and have the other guy run long so he'll have no choice but to throw pass 10 yards

tsiguy96
10-22-2009, 04:15 PM
what the hell was i thinking. i should have known i was wrong when i actually agreed with rastaman Ha!
bump for retardedness

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/majickturtle/00bs7te7.jpg

broncosteven
10-22-2009, 07:13 PM
what the hell was i thinking. i should have known i was wrong when i actually agreed with rastaman Ha!
bump for retardedness

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/majickturtle/00bs7te7.jpg

I am starting to actually like you.