PDA

View Full Version : For all those who complained about our CB play last year...

loborugger
08-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I have seen a lot of the CBs playing 7-10 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Beantown Bronco
08-30-2009, 08:38 PM
yup, I pointed this out after last weeks game and all I got was crickets.

PaintballCLE
08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
must be a bowlen rule......

Premier-Ace55
08-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Yeah i didn't like it last year and i don't like it now.

Lolad
08-30-2009, 08:51 PM
to be fair their WR's didn't do anything this game, opposing teams TE's are going to kill us this year if they can stretch the field.

AbileneBroncoFan
08-30-2009, 08:53 PM
The difference right now is that we are getting pretty good pressure. And Brian Dawkins is back there to lay the wood on anyone trying to take advantage. Hopefully when the season comes along we'll mix up our coverage a little bit more. Either way, it all comes down to the pass rush. You could put all the corners on the field at any depth you want, and it won't do any good unless you can get a pass rush. Doom will have 15 sacks this year. I'm calling it now.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Actually, its usually been one playing up, one playing off. You cannot complain with how the defense played today. Other than ONE drive, they played pretty damn well. Should have had a safety (pace held) and if Goodman tightens his mitts on that cutler slant, that 98 yard drive doesnt happen. I am very encouraged by the D...especially considering that disaster we threw out there last year

Beantown Bronco
08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
You cannot complain with how the defense played today.

Um, what?

rugbythug
08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Um, what?

Rewind your 08 tapes. THis D is much much better

DelBronco
08-30-2009, 09:15 PM
actually, its usually been one playing up, one playing off. You cannot complain with how the defense played today. Other than one drive, they played pretty damn well. Should have had a safety (pace held) and if goodman tightens his mitts on that cutler slant, that 98 yard drive doesnt happen. I am very encouraged by the d...especially considering that disaster we threw out there last year

qft

Beantown Bronco
08-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Rewind your 08 tapes. THis D is much much better

HUGE difference in statements there.

If you graded last year an F and today's a D.....C for the homers around here who practice grade inflation.....then there's still room to complain about things, right?

To me, the statement "You cannot complain with how the defense played today" means you give them an A grade. Nothing less. Tonight was better than what we saw in most (but not all) of the games last year, but it was nowhere near an A.

BroncoMan4ever
08-30-2009, 10:54 PM
honestly i believe we are still playing pretty vanilla on defense. we aren't running a lot of fancy formations, just playing aggressive. we are leaving the secondary a few yards off the WR to play safe. i believe that will change as we get farther into the season.

tsiguy96
08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
honestly i believe we are still playing pretty vanilla on defense. we aren't running a lot of fancy formations, just playing aggressive. we are leaving the secondary a few yards off the WR to play safe. i believe that will change as we get farther into the season.

yep. given denvers recent defenses, they earned a solid B+ today. so much better than we are used to, and they did a good job of making cutler slide around. doom destroyed pace so badly all night it was sick.

Popps
08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Champ still looks slow to me. I just can't figure out what it is. He gave that 2nd string receiver (can't recall name) a nice pad, and he still got behind him.

I hope he's just working his way into game shape. I need to watch again, but I hope the dude is O.K.. He's one of my favorites out there.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2009, 10:59 PM

If you graded last year an F and today's a D.....C for the homers around here who practice grade inflation.....then there's still room to complain about things, right?

To me, the statement "You cannot complain with how the defense played today" means you give them an A grade. Nothing less. Tonight was better than what we saw in most (but not all) of the games last year, but it was nowhere near an A.

Oh my god, context. I'd give the defense a solid B tonight. They did a poor job in the 2 minute drill (though cutler was pretty awesome that drive). Other than that, there were some 3 and outs, some good pressure (should have been a safety, pace completely held Doom), and tight coverage. Judging by these preseason games, the D is 10 times better than it was last year...If you want them to force 3 and outs every ****ing drive, you're dreaming.

Put it this way. If Tom Brandstater was quarterbacking for the Bears and he drove against our first teamers for a TD, this place would be in apoplectic (we can't stop a 6th round pick ZOOOMMMMMGGGGGG). But i think everyone here thinks the Bears first team D did well despite that opening second half drive. It's all perception and what you want your mind to think.

footstepsfrom#27
08-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh my god, context. I'd give the defense a solid B tonight. They did a poor job in the 2 minute drill (though cutler was pretty awesome that drive). Other than that, there were some 3 and outs, some good pressure (should have been a safety, pace completely held Doom), and tight coverage. Judging by these preseason games, the D is 10 times better than it was last year...If you want them to force 3 and outs every ****ing drive, you're dreaming.
How about just getting 1 turnover in the entire preseason? Since that HAS been the primary focus of this defense...

1) Nolan's specialty
2) Practicing stripping the ball
3) Drafted 3 defensive playmakers
4) 4 new secondary guys
5) Better pass rush

Yet still we have ZERO turnovers in 3 games. If you ask me that's room for considerable question.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2009, 11:07 PM
How about just getting 1 turnover in the entire preseason? Since that HAS been the primary focus of this defense...

1) Nolan's specialty
2) Practicing stripping the ball
3) Drafted 3 defensive playmakers
4) 4 new secondary guys
5) Better pass rush

Yet still we have ZERO turnovers in 3 games. If you ask me that's room for considerable question.

Did i say we were the number one defense in the NFL? No. Are we 347573495375835385 times better than the defense that trotted a 4-4 out against Carolina last year (ill never ever get over that). Absolutely. My god, seriously...if we dont get stops on every drive, people will complain.

chrisp
08-31-2009, 01:09 AM
Did i say we were the number one defense in the NFL? No. Are we 347573495375835385 times better than the defense that trotted a 4-4 out against Carolina last year (ill never ever get over that). Absolutely. My god, seriously...if we dont get stops on every drive, people will complain.

I agree that the defense is vastly improved from last year, but I still think the complete lack of turnovers is a concern. I'd rather see a unit that is NO better in terms of yards, but gets more turnovers compared to last year....

Thing is, I don't understand why better pressure isn't generating more mistakes from opposing QBs - they seem to be either taking the sack or making a play right now. That CAN'T carry on, surely? I'm still hoping that the vanilla scheme we're running right now is playing some part.

BroncoInSkinland
08-31-2009, 03:03 AM
I think the turnovers will come eventually, looks like they are playing the CB's off while they fine tune the front seven. I counted 6 three and outs for the Bears, back to backs to start the game, then four in a row to start the third quarter. That is massive improvement, and aside from the 98 yard drive I would take this defensive performance any week in the regular season happily.

Special teams also looked vastly improved aside from the one Hester punt return that gave them 7. I can't remember for sure as I had a lot of other things going on, but I think it was two deep pins, and I seem to remember at least one good hit on a kickoff. Hillis also looked solid returning, probably wouldn't have the speed to break one for six, but straight up the middle through a couple of tackles ending on the 39 will work. If you had told me 8 months ago that my biggest concern for the team this season was going to be the offense I would have called you crazy, but there it is.

Dedhed
08-31-2009, 03:31 AM

To me, the statement "You cannot complain with how the defense played today" means you give them an A grade. Nothing less. Tonight was better than what we saw in most (but not all) of the games last year, but it was nowhere near an A.I could also complain that when I get up off the toilet there aren't solid gold nuggets in the bowl, but then I remember to deal in reality.

Expecting an A grade from our defense this year is less realistic than finding golden nuggets. Morons will still complain, but the improvement is clear to see, and more than I would have hoped for.

TheChamp24
08-31-2009, 06:39 AM
It sure was refreshing seeing our stud rookie CB get tossed to the ground by Earl Bennett, allowing an easy 3rd down conversion, and then getting toasted by a 5th round draft choice for a 40 yard gain.

WolfpackGuy
08-31-2009, 06:46 AM
It sure was refreshing seeing our stud rookie CB get tossed to the ground by Earl Bennett, allowing an easy 3rd down conversion

Now that was horrible.
He didn't even get his arms up.

loborugger
08-31-2009, 06:47 AM
It sure was refreshing seeing our stud rookie CB get tossed to the ground by Earl Bennett, allowing an easy 3rd down conversion, and then getting toasted by a 5th round draft choice for a 40 yard gain.

I dont know if it was so much thrown to the ground as run over. I think he had cleat marks in his thigh and chest. 'Welcome to the NFL, rook.'

loborugger
08-31-2009, 06:51 AM

I would agree that we are playing vanilla. However, one assumes (maybe wrongly so) that if they are practicing off the WRs in pre-season they will remain that way in the reg season.

Beantown Bronco
08-31-2009, 07:17 AM

Context. When you state the following, there is literally no such thing as context:

"You cannot complain with how the defense played today."

That's a definitive statement.

Expecting an A grade from our defense this year is less realistic than finding golden nuggets. Morons will still complain, but the improvement is clear to see, and more than I would have hoped for.

Nobody expects an A grade.....at least I don't think so. But I also won't say that there's no room for improvement when there still is, and when I believe that improvement is feasible and not outside the realm of possibility for the unit. I mean, seriously, last year's historically bad defense still managed to sack the QB, force a few turnovers and hold a few teams below their season averages in points scored. I didn't see that quality last night.

As I mentioned in another thread: did I see improvement over the Dec 2008 defense? Yes. But did I see improvement over the 2008 week one defense? Nope.