PDA

View Full Version : Dumvervil and the Dl-line

Popps
08-30-2009, 08:23 PM
What a night for Dumervil. Is this guy quickly becoming the heart of our defense, or what?

Some of us talked a week ago about how easily he's made the transition to OLB. In fact, there was a nice contingent here before the season started that thought this system might suit him better. He's got to be accounted for on every play. Clearly, he's going to be a much bigger force for us than lined up in a 3-4 trying to push against a 350 LT on every single play.

The D-line also seems to be more than holding their own. Peterson continues to be active against the run, and had a batted pass tonight.

Reid had some nice pressure and while he didn't do much, I saw Ayers out there late in the 2nd quarter. Imagine if he starts contributing.

I love the way this front seven looks so far. There are still issues, but we look much more like a real defense should out there.

Anything you guys noticed from the first/second team guys?

spdirty
08-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Doom looked damn good.

Archer81
08-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Getting penetration on running downs with 3 linemen. Thats amazing to me.

:Broncos:

Rabb
08-30-2009, 08:28 PM
I agree with everything you said, I was thinking the entire game how great Doom looked. Overall I am very happy with the defense right now.

My only concern is that there still seems to be too much of an issue with open receivers over the middle.

I know this is about the line but how great was it to watch Dawkins blast that WR to force an incompletion?

Popps
Getting penetration on running downs with 3 linemen. Thats amazing to me.

Makes all the difference in the world. I also noticed a couple of linemen dropping back into coverage nicely. Didn't get the numbers. Going to watch the first half again tonight.

Davis looks just like I thought he would... very stout against the run and a bit of a liability against the pass, but I think he's worth the trade-off.

Chris
Doom has been getting pressure on nearly every play. It's nuts. Goodman looks good too.

GreatBronco16
Is it odd that I'm seeing so much improvement with the defense, but the offense just looks stale? I'm really not liking the play calling for the offense, but maybe he is holding back till the season starts.

Or is not having Marshall really hurting us?

Archer81
08-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Makes all the difference in the world. I also noticed a couple of linemen dropping back into coverage nicely. Didn't get the numbers. Going to watch the first half again tonight.

Davis looks just like I thought he would... very stout against the run and a bit of a liability against the pass, but I think he's worth the trade-off.

Baker took Kreutz out to the woodshed a few times. A probowl- all pro center getting beat like a bitch by an undrafted rookie DT.

Rabb
08-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Doom has been getting pressure on nearly every play. It's nuts. Goodman looks good too.

He had a pick for sure, I think Goodman is going to be solid as hell

Dudeskey
08-30-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm liking this new-look d so far. Doom was a lot of fun to watch tonight against Pace. Although I thought the refs should've called holding on him on several occasions.

Pseudofool
08-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Defense looked quite good I thought. There seemed to be constant pressure and good tackling (save that miss by Dwill). Had a lot of trouble with medium range passes on that long drive, but hte penalty by Doom didn't help. The hyper-refs penalizing the offense certainly added to the staleness. Did we convert any of the series where we had a holding penalty? Orton looked fine I thought, not exciting, but a good game manager. No delay of games tonight either.

Popps
08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Anyone notice what McBean was up to tonight? He looked good last week...

misturanderson
08-30-2009, 08:45 PM
It seems like the "wait and see if we actually have any front 7 players that were just utilized improperly by a complete failure of a defensive coaching staff before spending huge resources on bringing in every defensive front 7 free agent and rookie we can get our hands on" approach might work out afterall. We won't be top 10, but I'm definitely seeing some improvement.

I can honestly say that the defense has at least shown some signs of being a middle of the pack defense this preseason, which I couldn't say the last two years.

Dumervil is a beast, Goodman is playing lights out, maybe even better than Champ, and Dawkins roaming the field, looking to take some heads off is going to be awesome to watch.

DBroncos4life
08-30-2009, 08:46 PM
The D looked very good. Lots of things to like about it. I do agree with you GB16 the O looks really blah. It doesn't have the feel of a record setting system.

Chris
08-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Dawkins's tackling sure is sick.

ColoradoDarin
08-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Favorite D moment was Dawkins giving that receiver "the full funk." Doom looked good. Pass defense still looks a bit shaky - that could be just a lack of Dawkins playing in practice the last couple of weeks, but LBs in coverage aren't great. First step to fixing the D is the DL - and they are at the least improved.

DBroncos4life
08-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Baker looks like the real deal.

Beantown Bronco
08-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Surprised to see Baker and Woodyard still out there.....lots of playing time for them tonight.

Popps
08-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Surprised to see Baker and Woodyard still out there.....lots of playing time for them tonight.

Can't wait to watch Baker again after reading all of this. Tough to key on one guy in a game like this, but glad to hear that he appears to be on his way to sticking.

broncogary
08-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Not to mention that I can't believe they didn't call a hold a Pace in the end zone early in the game. He held him from the front and from the back.

TheReverend
08-30-2009, 10:03 PM
What a night for Dumervil. Is this guy quickly becoming the heart of our defense, or what?

This, 100%

Some of us talked a week ago about how easily he's made the transition to OLB. In fact, there was a nice contingent here before the season started that thought this system might suit him better. He's got to be accounted for on every play. Clearly, he's going to be a much bigger force for us than lined up in a 3-4 trying to push against a 350 LT on every single play.

Did you chloroform yourself? Some other drugs?

The D-line also seems to be more than holding their own. Peterson continues to be active against the run, and had a batted pass tonight.

Reid had some nice pressure and while he didn't do much, I saw Ayers out there late in the 2nd quarter. Imagine if he starts contributing.

I love the way this front seven looks so far. There are still issues, but we look much more like a real defense should out there.

Really..........?

Anything you guys noticed from the first/second team guys?

Literally look just as good as the starters... Larsen got abused several times though, that was sad.

JCMElway
08-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks Rev for bringing this optimistic thread back down to Earth. I was almost feeling good about our prospects again, but now I'm back to squinty-eyed pessimism. Thanks.

Orange_Beard
08-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Doomer is going to Hawaii, he will be one of the highlights of the season.

JCMElway
08-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Not to mention that I can't believe they didn't call a hold a Pace in the end zone early in the game. He held him from the front and from the back.

Should have been a safety, and goodman should have had a pick. right in his hands. Cutler looked pedestrian in everything but one drive at the end of the half. But, that's all the media will focus on.

Fan-fricking-tastic.

WABronco
08-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Ya Cris Collinsworth was practically jizzing on every player on the field tonight, aside from our QB's. OH HES SO GREAT GREAT GREAT!

Doom should be solid for us. Moves decently and he's short and stocky like some other notable 3-4 LB's.

Anyone else...well, it's like getting excited over the pile on the right compared to the pile of dog **** on the left, honestly. Hopefully the massive overhaul in personnel will pay off in at least slightly below average to average play this year.

TheReverend
08-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks Rev for bringing this optimistic thread back down to Earth. I was almost feeling good about our prospects again, but now I'm back to squinty-eyed pessimism. Thanks.

Better way to take it:

Dumervil is really looking amazing.

Depth looks as good as front line :)

Still confused as what Popp's 2nd paragraph meant. It's backwards, but seems strangely even more backwards...?

Taco John
08-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Outside of doom, it seems like we're going to continue to struggle getting pressure. That said, our secondary looks better than it did last year - which makes sense considering that's where we put our emphasis this offseason.

broncogary
08-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey, at least they weren't a sieve tonight.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah, Dumerville has looked good in every game. I love his read and recognition skills and he has the physical abilities to make the plays that he sees. DJ wasn't too bad either. The line has been getting penetration and pressure that I haven't seen in a very long time. Goodman and Dawkins look like actual football players. I like what I'm seeing from the D, I hope it carries over into the regular season. In fact:

Out of respect for Mike Nolan, and in recognition of the improvements I've seen on the D so far, I am changing my avatar tag line from "_enver _onkey _efense" to "Just Start Hillis". Please continue to make me proud boys.

kamakazi_kal
08-30-2009, 10:44 PM
agree..... dude got his rocks off tonight. It's nice to see pressure from our front 7

Popps
08-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Yeah, Dumerville has looked good in every game. I love his read and recognition skills and he has the physical abilities to make the plays that he sees. DJ wasn't too bad either. The line has been getting penetration and pressure that I haven't seen in a very long time. Goodman and Dawkins look like actual football players. I like what I'm seeing from the D, I hope it carries over into the regular season. In fact:

Out of respect for Mike Nolan, and in recognition of the improvements I've seen on the D so far, I am changing my avatar tag line from "_enver _onkey _efense" to "Just Start Hillis". Please continue to make me proud boys.

Going to watch the game again tonight, but the line has looked much improved. It just looks so much different than last season. There's pocket push on almost every play.

It's encouraging because it's still early. This front seven is almost entirely new (or at new positions) and running a new system. The new admin did a complete overhaul and it appears to be paying early dividends.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Going to watch the game again tonight, but the line has looked much improved. It just looks so much different than last season. There's pocket push on almost every play.

It's encouraging because it's still early. This front seven is almost entirely new (or at new positions) and running a new system. The new admin did a complete overhaul and it appears to be paying early dividends.

Same here, I completely agree. I missed Cutler's 98 yard drive and I missed Brandstater's play because I had to run my kids around. Boy Scouts and church, bah. But I did get to watch up to Goodman's almost INT. That was a really nice play-just couldn't get his hands on it. The biggest thing I took away from the game was that this D is not last year's D. I like it.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Just a question, did anybody notice Alphonse Smith going in? My house was chaotic and I was watching the line a lot. I'm wondering if we can do better with Champ/Goodman/Smith/Dawkins out there.

Popps
08-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Just a question, did anybody notice Alphonse Smith going in? My house was chaotic and I was watching the line a lot. I'm wondering if we can do better with Champ/Goodman/Smith/Dawkins out there.

Smith got beat on a long-ball by a speedster. Wasn't pretty. But, those things are going to happen to a rook. Hopefully he'll learn from it. Seems that he's done well up until that play.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Smith got beat on a long-ball by a speedster. Wasn't pretty. But, those things are going to happen to a rook. Hopefully he'll learn from it. Seems that he's done well up until that play.

Was he playing Nickle or was that with the 2nd string, do you remember?

TheReverend
08-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Popps, not being a dick, still seriously confused by this line RE Dumervil

"Clearly, he's going to be a much bigger force for us than lined up in a 3-4 trying to push against a 350 LT on every single play."

listopencil
08-30-2009, 11:24 PM

"Clearly, he's going to be a much bigger force for us than lined up in a 3-4 trying to push against a 350 LT on every single play."

Because he's not going to always have to beat a Tackle in the 3-4?

Popps
08-30-2009, 11:30 PM

I just like him in space a bit, and we're lining him up wider, and using him in a variety of manners. It just seemed like every play last seasons consisted of him.. hands down... trying to drive through a LT, and often a double-team.

Popps
08-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Was he playing Nickle or was that with the 2nd string, do you remember?

Don't remember, but I'm fairly sure it was with the 2nd string as a starter in Champ's spot. Don't quote me, though... I'll report after watching again.

BroncoMan4ever
08-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Is it odd that I'm seeing so much improvement with the defense, but the offense just looks stale? I'm really not liking the play calling for the offense, but maybe he is holding back till the season starts.

Or is not having Marshall really hurting us?

aside from the constantly changing formations, a lot of the play calling has been really conservative. i think we are waiting for the season to start before we unleash the offense. also with our QB learning the system still and the rest of the offense as well learning, a lot is still being held back.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Don't remember, but I'm fairly sure it was with the 2nd string as a starter in Champ's spot. Don't quote me, though... I'll report after watching again.

Oh, Ok. That's understandable. He is a rookie. I'm more interested in what he can do in the Nickle w/ Champ, Goodman and Dawkins out there.

Popps
08-30-2009, 11:38 PM

My bad, just realized why you asked... it should have read.... "lined up in a 4-3... etc."

Popps
08-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Oh, Ok. That's understandable. He is a rookie. I'm more interested in what he can do in the Nickle w/ Champ, Goodman and Dawkins out there.

Goodman looked great tonight, but you probably saw a lot of that.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Goodman looked great tonight, but you probably saw a lot of that.

Yeah. He was putting on a clinic out there. Looks like a solid pick up for us.

TheReverend
08-30-2009, 11:42 PM
My bad, just realized why you asked... it should have read.... "lined up in a 4-3... etc."

Ah, okay, but he'll be doing the same in the 3-4... as far as going up against tackles....... only with another step most of the time....

Bronco Yoda
08-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Dumervil is adjusting better than anyone could imagine.

DBroncos4life
08-30-2009, 11:46 PM
aside from the constantly changing formations, a lot of the play calling has been really conservative. i think we are waiting for the season to start before we unleash the offense. also with our QB learning the system still and the rest of the offense as well learning, a lot is still being held back.

what are we going to do that teams have never seen before? We are going to run something like the Pats and teams have seen that before.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Ah, okay, but he'll be doing the same in the 3-4... as far as going up against tackles....... only with another step most of the time....

It appears to me that taking a step back into a LB position from a DE position has helped him. He looks like he sees the plays better and he is still getting pressure.

Popps
08-30-2009, 11:53 PM

I actually love that step. I think that's where he does a lot of his damage. I also just like that opposing offenses don't know where our pressure will be coming from on a given play. We may blitz a safety and drop him into coverage, etc. Anything we can do to use his speed and agility helps our cause, imo. Certainly, he'll still have to beat tackles on a regular basis. But, you have to admit... the system sure seem to fit him well, considering his performance in just his first few games adjusting to it.

TheReverend
08-30-2009, 11:58 PM
I actually love that step. I think that's where he does a lot of his damage. I also just like that opposing offenses don't know where our pressure will be coming from on a given play. We may blitz a safety and drop him into coverage, etc. Anything we can do to use his speed and agility helps our cause, imo. Certainly, he'll still have to beat tackles on a regular basis. But, you have to admit... the system sure seem to fit him well, considering his performance in just his first few games adjusting to it.

Meh. Elvis has performed at a high level NO MATTER what the system.

I'll never bet against that guy.

Popps
08-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Meh. Elvis has performed at a high level NO MATTER what the system.

I'll never bet against that guy.

I love him, I just think he was out of position as an every-down DE in a 4-3. I'm totally jacked about this guy's chances in Nolan's system.

We need to lock him up. ****, we need to lock a few guys up.

Popps
08-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Wow, after watching Doom being held on what should have been a safety, I just noticed Reid on the next play. He exploded through the line. Don't know if that's typical of his play, but he absolutely blasted by the RT and almost caused an INT.

DBroncos4life
08-31-2009, 12:27 AM
I love him, I just think he was out of position as an every-down DE in a 4-3. I'm totally jacked about this guy's chances in Nolan's system.

We need to lock him up. ****, we need to lock a few guys up.

Very true. I find it odd that we are letting some of our better players play out contracts. Its not a very good idea.

wandlc
08-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Dawkins is like Lynch, he can hit but gets burned in coverage.

Cleo McDowell
08-31-2009, 01:36 AM
thats what its all about, in life and in D. penetration.

http://www.theworldasiseeit.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/wiener.jpg

listopencil
08-31-2009, 01:51 AM
Wow, after watching Doom being held on what should have been a safety, I just noticed Reid on the next play. He exploded through the line. Don't know if that's typical of his play, but he absolutely blasted by the RT and almost caused an INT.

We really were getting a lot of penetration/pressure with Doom and the D-Line early on.

SureShot
08-31-2009, 02:30 AM
Holy **** Popps praising Doom!?!? I must be drunk I better go to bed.

"We've got a front seven of guys on defense that most other teams wouldn't start. Honestly, you've got Dumervil, who's more of a situational player... and that's about it."-Popps

BroncoInSkinland
08-31-2009, 06:02 AM
As already stated Baker looks very good. Nice diamond in the rough find there. Overall the D looks far better than I thought it would. Turnovers will come as the pressure continues. Also I would say if we do have a specific weakness on D it would be pass coverage, we look good against the run. Heck of a turnaround from last year. I think the issues with the pass can and will be adress by playing the CB's tighter. Overall I'm very happy with the D-line turnaround especially considering the lack of resources allocated there. I want to see it for a few regular season games but as of right now I would take back a lot of the concerns I had with the new FO regarding the D-line acquisitions. I don't know if it was the plan or luck, and don't much care.

elpasojoe
09-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Does anyoneremember an off-season interview with former DC Joe Collier (the man). I think he was the first person I remember stating that Elvis would/could/should be quite a player in the new defense. Evidently, he knew what he was talking about.

BroncoBuff
09-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Doom looked damn good.

Yup, and Ryan McBean has been a pleasant surprise.

McBean - LeKevin
Fields - Baker - Powell
Peterson - Thomas

There yuh' go!

UberBroncoMan
09-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Doom looked damn good.

... yet he's not whining about an extension when he's in his final year.

I hope we can afford him...