PDA

View Full Version : NFL is reporting that the Broncos offered Brandon Marshall a contract with a catch

lostknight
08-30-2009, 04:11 PM
NFL network is tentatively (ie, saying they are not sure of the details) is reporting that the Broncos did in fact offer a contract for Brandon Marshall. Apparently it was more of a insult then anything else. Apparently they did not offer a single guaranteed dollar.

As a NFL agent recently noted, the only thing that "counts" in the NFL is that guaranteed cash. Anything else is just PR. If the report is correct (not a given, NFL network didn't seem confident in what they were saying), it would explain why the situation deteriorated rapidly.

elsid13
08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Wow, that amazing. I would be pissed to if they did that to me.

ludo21
08-30-2009, 04:13 PM
wow, if this is true Mcdouche is as much as a douche as we assumed he was.

WABronco
08-30-2009, 04:14 PM
hahaha

tsiguy96
08-30-2009, 04:15 PM
dunno if id 100% believe it. i can understand it though, hes liable to get suspended at any minute if he does something else wrong.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 04:16 PM
NFL network is tentatively (ie, saying they are not sure of the details) is reporting that the Broncos did in fact offer a contract for Brandon Marshall. Apparently it was more of a insult then anything else. Apparently they did not offer a single guaranteed dollar.

As a NFL agent recently noted, the only thing that "counts" in the NFL is that guaranteed cash. Anything else is just PR. If the report is correct (not a given, NFL network didn't seem confident in what they were saying), it would explain why the situation deteriorated rapidly.

Hahaha......that's awesome. What does Marshall expect, really? They can't put in any kind of morals clause. The CBA makes sure of that. How else can they protect their investment? The guy has been making bad decisions and acting like a douchebag off and on for a while now. Hey Marshall- tough ****. Grow up.

WABronco
08-30-2009, 04:17 PM
In all seriousness, if this is true, this is the FO taking the whole "we don't want to get f'd in the A paying bonus money to a suspended player" thing to the max. A little extreme. Maybe it was actually a juicy number, just no guarantees.

listopencil

Seriously? Your take shocks me.

Rulon Velvet Jones
That can't be true. When was the last time you saw a high-dollar contract with $0 guaranteed? Not even the Raiders would write up such bull****.

Northman
08-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Hahaha......that's awesome. What does Marshall expect, really? They can't put in any kind of morals clause. The CBA makes sure of that. How else can they protect their investment? The guy has been making bad decisions and acting like a douchebag off and on for a while now. Hey Marshall- tough ****. Grow up.

^
Yep. The dude is a liability with his off the field issues. Denver is just protecting themselves. But, im sure Dallas will throw lots of guaranteed money at him so that they can be one and done in the playoffs again.

Gcver2ver3
if he wants a contract NOW versus after showing us he's healthy and able to stay out of trouble for an extended amount of time, thats the kind of contract he gets...a high risk high reward type contract...

he's lucky they offered him a contract at all considering the risk he brings...the Broncos have to protect themsleves from him...

listopencil
I really, really hope this is true.

DenverBrit

I heard the same story on the light rail yesterday.

yerner
08-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Classy move. Way to antagonize a situation.

lex

This probably has more to do with Pat. Its just a guess, but McDaniels probably values Marshall as a player, whereas, Pat sees a guy who wants a lot of money. So, I think there's been tension (not combative maybe) between Pat and Josh on Marshall.

elsid13
In all seriousness, if this is true, this is the FO taking the whole "we don't want to get f'd in the A paying bonus money to a suspended player" thing to the max. A little extreme. Maybe it was actually a juicy number, just no guarantees.

If a players get suspend he doesn't get paid his non-bonus salary. That how it works. If they want to protect themselves they can put in roster bonuses and number of games played which are common contract clauses in the NFL.

SportinOne
08-30-2009, 04:20 PM
this is getting ridiculous

elsid13
08-30-2009, 04:20 PM

One would say it almost Mike Brown like.

lex
08-30-2009, 04:21 PM
One would say it almost Mike Brown like.

No doubt.

Bronx33
08-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Exactly...

HILife
08-30-2009, 04:22 PM

why does it have to be Mcdouche? Mcdouche is not the GM. Mcdouche doesn't cut the checks. Mcdouche is the coach.

Bronx33
08-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Lets fold under to brandons every wish instead :thumbsup:

Houshyamama
08-30-2009, 04:25 PM
In Brandon's mind I'm sure this is just another situation that's unfair and will help reinforce his mentality that everyone is out to get him.

Get your ducks in a row and everything will work itself out. Life helps those that help themselves.

baja
08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
WOW another rumor to beat McD over the head with guess he writes offers in his spare time.

elsid13
08-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I am now more then ever convinced that McDaniels doesn't value Marshall in his "system" and doesn't care if he see the field.

lostknight
08-30-2009, 04:32 PM
We don't know the situation around the Goodman's departure. If McDaniels had a voice in that decision, and the NFL's (again, very tentative) story is correct, then yes, it's yet another front office **** up we can lay at the feet of the Broncos FO, and it's "GM" McDaniels.

But given what we are hearing about Ellis right now, and about Bowlen, it's possible these decisions were being made above McDaniel's pay grade, and much to his detriment.

lex
08-30-2009, 04:34 PM
I am now more then ever convinced that McDaniels doesn't value Marshall in his "system" and doesn't care if he see the field.

Pat doesnt want to spend money.

jhat01
08-30-2009, 04:42 PM

So you think McD wrote the contract huh? How can you say that he doesnt value him in his system? You guys don't miss a chance to pile on do you?

elsid13
08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
So you think McD wrote the contract huh? How can you say that he doesnt value him in his system? You guys don't miss a chance to pile on do you?

See my posts in other Marshall thread, when McDaniels describe his perfect WR for his system. It not Marshall. Also I think that McDaniels is very much in sync with Xanders on how personnel decisions are made.

Broncos4tw
08-30-2009, 04:46 PM
This is effing stupid. You can't run a successful team with ponying up some $$$. If this is true, no wonder Marshall was PO'd. One of the best receivers in the game, and gets offered no guaranteed cash?! While rookies are coming out without playing a game, getting 10s of millions in guaranteed money?

And you folks think this is ok? Are you all high?

I really hope this doesn't turn out to be true. That "plan" is great, if you are trying to build the Lions. It's not so great if you want to build a team that actually wins games.

Or was this deal after his behavior?

chadta
08-30-2009, 04:47 PM
when will people,both teams and owners start liviing up to contracts already signed.

maybe he is underpaid, but if the roles were revered an he crapped the bed would he be giving money back ?

lex
08-30-2009, 04:49 PM
when will people,both teams and owners start liviing up to contracts already signed.

maybe he is underpaid, but if the roles were revered an he crapped the bed would he be giving money back ?

Conversely, if he sucked, would the team not cut him?

ColoradoDarin
08-30-2009, 04:51 PM
It's simple math really, your bonus money is inversely correlated to the number of times you're arrested for hitting women.

Bronx33
08-30-2009, 05:00 PM
It's simple math really, your bonus money is inversely correlated to the number of times you're arrested for hitting women.

Brandon needs some extra time a few peices of scratch paper to figure that out.

Hercules Rockefeller
08-30-2009, 05:01 PM
If Brandon's not going to take his job seriously, why should Denver make a serious contract offer to him?

Bob's your Information Minister
08-30-2009, 05:03 PM
You guys are a mess.

Bronx33
08-30-2009, 05:05 PM
If Brandon's not going to take his job seriously, why should Denver make a serious contract offer to him?

I agree but we still have folks on here that put his play above his actions off the field and think he deserves to be paid that's kinda selfish if you ask me.

Bronx33
08-30-2009, 05:05 PM
You guys are a mess.

you guys have been a mess.

DenverBrit
08-30-2009, 05:07 PM
A lot of people getting worked up about a vague rumor that has no legs.

There is nothing reported on NFL.com or anywhere else......just the Mane.

oubronco
08-30-2009, 05:27 PM

would you sign a contract like that?

Rohirrim
08-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Bingo! Why on Earth would you guarantee a bunch of money to a guy as messed up as Marshall? It's up to Brandon to prove something now. First, a little maturity.

baja
08-30-2009, 06:14 PM
can we have some ass in this worthless thread?

bombay
08-30-2009, 07:03 PM

This 'information' certainly merits it's own thread.

McDman
08-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Why would we give him sure money? He's continually shown that he can't stay out of trouble.

Ugly Duck
08-30-2009, 09:17 PM
can we have some ass in this worthless thread?

Bob is here... his post is just a few spots above yours

broncogary
08-30-2009, 09:33 PM
That can't be true. When was the last time you saw a high-dollar contract with $0 guaranteed? Not even the Raiders would write up such bull****.

You've gotta love the contracts the Raiders come up with! ROFL!

broncogary
08-30-2009, 09:35 PM

Yeah, actually expecting performance is BS. :wave:

Broncos4tw
08-30-2009, 09:40 PM
See my posts in other Marshall thread, when McDaniels describe his perfect WR for his system. It not Marshall. Also I think that McDaniels is very much in sync with Xanders on how personnel decisions are made.

Where in the hell do you people get these absolutely ludicrous and stupid ideas? A better receiver isn't good for the system? Are you kidding me? ROFL!

Cutler WOULD do better in ANY system than Orton. Marshall WOULD do better than any lesser WR in ANY system. Stop trying to fool yourself so you feel better about our front office's horrible player relations skills.

kappys
08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Bowlen is biding his time until a new CBA or a lockout happens next year. I think he expects a lock out and doesn't want to be on the hook for a bunch of money paid out without any games to make it up. I think he's trying to pare back any bonuses to bare minimum until a new agreement is in place.

Hopefully once those issues are settled the pocketbook will open up a little like I expect that it will.

kamakazi_kal
08-30-2009, 10:01 PM
if he wants a contract NOW versus after showing us he's healthy and able to stay out of trouble for an extended amount of time, thats the kind of contract he gets...a high risk high reward type contract...

he's lucky they offered him a contract at all considering the risk he brings...the Broncos have to protect themsleves from him...

I agree with everything bu the "able to stay healthy" part.

dude has balled it for this team in the last few seasons. The team doctors helped //////lied//// him play through pain last year. After they pulled the same **** with Rod .....aka team guy.... i wouldn't trust the,////

kamakazi_kal
08-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Where in the hell do you people get these absolutely ludicrous and stupid ideas? A better receiver isn't good for the system? Are you kidding me? ROFL!

Cutler WOULD do better in ANY system than Orton. Marshall WOULD do better than any lesser WR in ANY system. Stop trying to fool yourself so you feel better about our front office's horrible player relations skills.

rep.

OBF1
08-30-2009, 10:05 PM

What in the hell is wrong with you brother??? Since when does the head coach make the contract offers to players? Please let me know what McDaniels has to with your hate filled post.

And please do not ASSume that I think that McDaniels is douche.

kamakazi_kal
08-30-2009, 10:06 PM
You guys are a mess.

**** ..you...go eat a twinkee.

kamakazi_kal
08-30-2009, 10:08 PM
What in the hell is wrong with you brother??? Since when does the head coach make the contract offers to players? Please let me know what McDaniels has to with your hate filled post.

And please do not ASSume that I think that McDaniels is douche.

you don't think Mcd is running Xanders?

BroncoMan4ever
08-30-2009, 10:51 PM

yes because i am sure that Mcdaniels is the one who came up with the offer, printed it out and put it in front of Marshall and his agent. wow some people are just ****ing retarded here.

if we were willing to give the guy a deal, give him one similar to what Dallas gave to TO a few years ago. It was a something like a 3 year deal worth a possible 27 million with a signing bonus of like 10 million if i remember correctly. but the nice part about the deal is that it gave Dallas, club options after each season that they could release him with no further obligation or money owed.

instead of so much guaranteed money he got a signing bonus and then a yearly salary if he remained with the team

lazarus4444
08-31-2009, 12:58 AM
October, 2004: Misdemeanor charges of trespass, resisting arrest without violence, disorderly conduct, refusal to obey and assault on a police officer. (Later dismissed)

April, 2005: Retail theft of $20 bed sheets at Burlington Coat Factory. (Later dismissed)

June, 2006:Reports of domestic violence, no charges ever filed.

December, 2006:Was named as a possible cause that ultimately led to the death of cornerback Darrent Williams via drive-by shooting after spraying champagne on night club patrons.

January, 2007: Incident with his own father that reportedly included gun shots. No charges were filed.

March, 2007: Reports of domestic violence, no charges filed.

March, 2007: Arrested for false imprisonment and domestic violence, charges were later dismissed after attending anger management classes.

June, 2007: Reports of domestic violence, including an “accidental cut” on his girlfriends thigh and a rock thrown at the passenger side of her friends’ car. No charges were filed.

June, 2007: Police respond to “fight-in-progress” call and find girlfriend with noticeable bruises and scratches. No Charges filed.

October, 2007: Cited for driving under the influence, BAC of 0.116.

January, 2008: Girlfriend files for temporary restraining order, was later lifted.

March, 2008: Domestic violence call, ultimately resulting in Marshall fleeing the scene. Girlfriend would then file for another temporary restraining order.

August, 2008: Suspended for three games by the NFL. After appeal, the league reduced the suspension to one game without pay plus a fine.

September, 2008: Charged with two misdemeanor counts of simple battery as a result of the incident the previous March.

September, 2008: A year after being cited for DUI in Denver, Marshall pleaded guilty to the lesser offense of driving while ability-impaired. He was sentenced to one year of probation.

February, 2009: Became engaged to then girlfriend Michi Nogami-Campbell, a different female than the one named in the incidents above.

March, 2009: Marshall and Nogami-Campbell seen in a physical altercation. Situation is “under review” per the NFL.

Yeah this rap sheet is real classy too. No ****ing way we sign his ass to guaranteed money, it would hurt the team long term. He needs to go a year without getting arrested first. He needs to bust his ass AND not get arrested. If we signed him to guaranteed money i can guarantee you the broncos would regret it.

BM is one more arrest away from a minimum 8-game suspension. In fact, i honestly believe that the commish will suspend him for an entire year when he ****'s up again. THAT is why we do not offer him $1 in guaranteed money!

rastaman
08-31-2009, 07:46 AM

So where's the transparency? We as fans don't know what's said and what goes on behind closed doors btwn Brandon, Bowlen, FO and McDaniels. It actually turns into an "Enigma w/i and Egnima".

Yet pro management fans will gullible side on the side of Bowlen and McDaniel's. You people will beltch out "McD and Bowlen" can do no wrong "Its always the Players Fault"!

By the way it isn't called "Pile on!", Its called questioning the authority, the Leadership, and the BOSS! WTF is wrong with that?

Talking about being in complete denial.

rastaman
08-31-2009, 07:54 AM
October, 2004: Misdemeanor charges of trespass, resisting arrest without violence, disorderly conduct, refusal to obey and assault on a police officer. (Later dismissed)

April, 2005: Retail theft of $20 bed sheets at Burlington Coat Factory. (Later dismissed)

June, 2006:Reports of domestic violence, no charges ever filed.

December, 2006:Was named as a possible cause that ultimately led to the death of cornerback Darrent Williams via drive-by shooting after spraying champagne on night club patrons.

January, 2007: Incident with his own father that reportedly included gun shots. No charges were filed.

March, 2007: Reports of domestic violence, no charges filed.

March, 2007: Arrested for false imprisonment and domestic violence, charges were later dismissed after attending anger management classes.

June, 2007: Reports of domestic violence, including an “accidental cut” on his girlfriends thigh and a rock thrown at the passenger side of her friends’ car. No charges were filed.

June, 2007: Police respond to “fight-in-progress” call and find girlfriend with noticeable bruises and scratches. No Charges filed.

October, 2007: Cited for driving under the influence, BAC of 0.116.

January, 2008: Girlfriend files for temporary restraining order, was later lifted.

March, 2008: Domestic violence call, ultimately resulting in Marshall fleeing the scene. Girlfriend would then file for another temporary restraining order.

August, 2008: Suspended for three games by the NFL. After appeal, the league reduced the suspension to one game without pay plus a fine.

September, 2008: Charged with two misdemeanor counts of simple battery as a result of the incident the previous March.

September, 2008: A year after being cited for DUI in Denver, Marshall pleaded guilty to the lesser offense of driving while ability-impaired. He was sentenced to one year of probation.

February, 2009: Became engaged to then girlfriend Michi Nogami-Campbell, a different female than the one named in the incidents above.

March, 2009: Marshall and Nogami-Campbell seen in a physical altercation. Situation is “under review” per the NFL.

Yeah this rap sheet is real classy too. No ****ing way we sign his ass to guaranteed money, it would hurt the team long term. He needs to go a year without getting arrested first. He needs to bust his ass AND not get arrested. If we signed him to guaranteed money i can guarantee you the broncos would regret it.

BM is one more arrest away from a minimum 8-game suspension. In fact, i honestly believe that the commish will suspend him for an entire year when he ****'s up again. THAT is why we do not offer him $1 in guaranteed money!

No one cared about Marshall's RAP SHEET while he had over 100 receptions, respectible YAC, and need two to three tacklers to bring him down. In fact, all you me first fans were as happy as flies on shiiiiit so long as Brandon was entertaining you and boosting your Fantasy Football scores. Hell Bowlen didn't F-ing mind either---when his memory was working I'm sure he was cheering Brandon along from his cush "Luxury Box"!

HOWEVER, everyone gets F-ing Religious when it comes to contract time and guaranteed money is being discussed.

Rap Sheet--Bat Sheep, this speaks to the height of hyprocrisy and moving the goal post to ensure Brandon Mashall is OWNED and not APPRECIATED NOR COMPENSATED.

Evenrude
08-31-2009, 08:02 AM
You mean he would actually have to show up, stay out of trouble, and do his job to get paid? I'm sure glad I don't have to do that in my job....oh wait...

Mountain Bronco
08-31-2009, 08:39 AM
You know what is funny hear is people bitch about guaranteed money and how owner's are fiscally irresponsible, then they turn around and bitch when an owner does something that is fiscally responsible, like not wasting 20 million in guaranteed money on some D-Bag reciever.

Which way do you want it?

Beantown Bronco
08-31-2009, 08:49 AM
How funny would it have been if they purposely got Marshall and his agent all excited.....they call him into Xanders office and say they've got a monster offer for him that could make him the highest paid WR in football.....tell him it's for 10 years and $100 million.....all he has to do is sign on the dotted line....then they ask what the signing bonus is and McDaniels says $0.00.

BabyTO
08-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Hahaha good job McDoofus & Bowlemovement. Two of the biggest idiots on the planet

broncocalijohn
08-31-2009, 11:17 AM

Ludo, when did McDaniels become the owner of the Broncos? Even Lex (in this thread) explained it to you that this has nothing to do with the coach. Stop the hate where it isnt warranted, Ludo. The only guarantee money I would have to offer BM is the game that just was played.

broncocalijohn
08-31-2009, 11:20 AM
Hahaha good job McDoofus & Bowlemovement. Two of the biggest idiots on the planet

"BabyTO" is the name, kissing Baby TO (BM) a$$ is the game.