PDA

View Full Version : Pats to release O'Connell - do we want him?

titan
08-30-2009, 01:24 PM
From twitter:
Adam_Schefter We have a mini blockbuster: John Clayton reported a short time ago that Pats will release QB Kevin O'Connell. Who's backing up Tom Brady now

===

I haven't been impressed with Brandstater so wonder if McD will make a run at O'Connell.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 01:25 PM
O'Connell hasn't impressed me. Hard to say though.

Hercules Rockefeller
08-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd be shocked if they didn't put a waiver claim in on him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4432734

SoCalBronco
08-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Sign him up. We can use all the help we can get.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Anybody watch the ATL back up QB, I think it was Redman? He impressed me.

ward63
08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
I'll take him over Ingle. Redman was horrible as a starter.

wandlc
08-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately for us I think that the chargers have one of the best back ups in the league in Voleck. He is the one that got them to the championship game after rivers was hurt and I believe if they would have started him over rivers they would have had a better chance in the championship game.

Northman

^This

BroncoMan4ever
i don't see a problem in giving O'Connell a shot. he knows the system has a previous relationship with McDaniels, and would be a good backup. Especially with Simms being out for a possible lengthy period of time. also he is better than Ingle, and Brandstater has PS written all over him.

elsid13
08-30-2009, 01:59 PM
I am very surprised that the PATS would release him after only a year in the league and spending a 3rd rounder on him. I would bring him big time and punt Brandstater to PS.

Florida_Bronco
08-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Drek has to be foaming at the mouth right about now. I'll be ****ing elated if we can snag him up.

WABronco
08-30-2009, 02:17 PM
haha. Ron Jaworski: "Kevin O'Connell is the best QB in this draft!"

jebures
YES! Cut martin, and put Suckstater on the PS

TheElusiveKyleOrton
I thought Eric Ainge looked pretty sharp the other night against Balto...

SonOfLe-loLang
08-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Wouldnt shock me, i'd be OK with it. Weren't they in love with O'Connell last season?

ludo21
08-30-2009, 02:24 PM
O Connell would be a great pick up. We need all the QB's we can get.

Also, Palko from AZ has played great in PS so far.

Bronco LB52
08-30-2009, 02:38 PM

Maybe like nine years ago. Redman has already reached his ceiling and that's a career clipboard holder.

Northman
08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Maybe like nine years ago. Redman has already reached his ceiling and that's a career clipboard holder.

Yea, i remember people said that about Rich Gannon at one point too. Redman may not be a HOF but i sure as hell dont think he would hurt this team by coming in and trying out.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 02:43 PM

He looked better than anything on our roster.

s0phr0syne
08-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Look, I think we're set for this year with Orton and Simms. Simms's boo-boo isn't so bad that it'll keep him out for very long.

If we're going to go around picking up QB's, it makes sense to get a younger guy that we can develop correctly. O'Connell would be a great pickup. I remember him being one of the big sleeper QBs in last year's draft, as he had played in a good system under Chuck Long but just needed some more development.

If he does get cut, which I still highly doubt, I think the Chiefs would pounce on that before we could. Unless McD trades another pick...at least this time, it would be for a young player that has something to offer to us over the long haul.

I don't buy this rumor though--who else do the Patriots have after Brady, Walter, and O'Connell?

Bronco LB52
08-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Yea, i remember people said that about Rich Gannon at one point too. Redman may not be a HOF but i sure as hell dont think he would hurt this team by coming in and trying out.

Not a good comparison.

Prior to his 10th year in the league, Gannon had racked up 42 career starts. This is Redman's 10th year and he has only 10 career starts to his credit.

Gannon was always perceived as a marginal starting QB going back to his days in Minnesota, while Redman has been strictly a backup guy. Plus, Gannon was an exceptional athlete as a quarterback compared to the cement footed Redman.

BTW, Redman's go-ahead TD pass last night was ****. He threw off his back foot and chucked a prayer to the back of the endzone. That crappy pass gets picked off going up against a first team defense.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Not a good comparison.

Prior to his 10th year in the league, Gannon had racked up 42 career starts. This is Redman's 10th year and he has only 10 career starts to his credit.

Gannon was always perceived as a marginal starting QB going back to his days in Minnesota, while Redman has been strictly a backup guy. Plus, Gannon was an exceptional athlete as a quarterback compared to the cement footed Redman.

BTW, Redman's go-ahead TD pass last night was ****. He threw off his back foot and chucked a prayer to the back of the endzone. That crappy pass gets picked off going up against a first team defense.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong in your evaluation of Redman's performance. The "cement footed" Redman that ran in a TD? Sure. Mobility is not his strength but he certainly moved around well enough to make plays. And that crap pass? He stood in the pocket with a rusher in his face and floated the ball perfectly to the back of the end zone where only his guy had a chance at it. The trajectory on that ball was absolutely perfect. You couldn't really ask for a better job than he did on that play. I'm not saying he's all world or HOF material by any means but he's playing better than anything we have.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 03:01 PM
BTW, I started watching him because i was gonna make fun of his delivery. He looked a little stiff and slow at first. and he was holding his throwing arm at an odd angle. Then, after just a few plays, he got into his rhythm and really stepped up. They guy is a good QB.

lex
08-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Has anyone seen that Drew Brees guy? He's pretty good. Isnt he on a roster though?

Bronco LB52
08-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong in your evaluation of Redman's performance. The "cement footed" Redman that ran in a TD? Sure. Mobility is not his strength but he certainly moved around well enough to make plays. And that crap pass? He stood in the pocket with a rusher in his face and floated the ball perfectly to the back of the end zone where only his guy had a chance at it. The trajectory on that ball was absolutely perfect. You couldn't really ask for a better job than he did on that play. I'm not saying he's all world or HOF material by any means but he's playing better than anything we have.

He got away with one with that pass.

Atlanta isn't parting with him. He's their security blanket behind Ryan.

Even if you bring him in, he's not going to learn the playbook fast enough to make an impact. Denver is better off with Orton/Simms as much as I hate to say it.

Bringing in a talented young guy with projection is the way to go. Redman is merely a place holder much like Damon Huard was with KC. He might do a decent job, but he's not the guy in the big picture.

BroncoBuff
08-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Very strange cut ... might be BS rumor. Good chance of that.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 03:22 PM
He got away with one with that pass.

Atlanta isn't parting with him. He's their security blanket behind Ryan.

Even if you bring him in, he's not going to learn the playbook fast enough to make an impact. Denver is better off with Orton/Simms as much as I hate to say it.

Bringing in a talented young guy with projection is the way to go. Redman is merely a place holder much like Damon Huard was with KC. He might do a decent job, but he's not the guy in the big picture.

Nah, he earned it. It was a good play.

Not important anyway-as you say he isn't going anywhere. Too bad we couldn't have gotten Redman instead of Simms. I prefer someone like Redman as the #2 guy. More upside while we groom the #3 and he could go in if needed.

Bronco LB52
08-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Nah, he earned it. It was a good play.

Not important anyway-as you say he isn't going anywhere. Too bad we couldn't have gotten Redman instead of Simms. I prefer someone like Redman as the #2 guy. More upside while we groom the #3 and he could go in if needed.

Stone feet, cleats actually have a locking mechanism in them that grip the turf and hold his feet firmly in place once he calls hike

Popps
08-30-2009, 03:34 PM
A 3rd rounder cut after just one year at the QB position tells me there is either:

A. A major problem with him, potentially learning the system or personality.

B. Perhaps someone behind him who is outplaying him to a large degree.

(Or some combination of both.)

If it's "B," maybe we take a peek. But, otherwise... it's a little suspicious.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Stone feet, cleats actually have a locking mechanism in them that grip the turf and hold his feet firmly in place once he calls hike

Did you actually watch him play? Your comments only make sense if you didn't.

elsid13
08-30-2009, 03:40 PM
A 3rd rounder cut after just one year at the QB position tells me there is either:

He has struggled this preseason, but you can see the talent and ability to make plays. Problem is that he is raw and need time to learn the NFL game. Add in the fact that Pats are very high on Brian Hoyer, maybe that the reason why

listopencil
08-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I mean, the guy definitely out played Simms. They were in roughly the same situation and Redman out played him. I can't say he out played Orton because it was 1st string vs. 2nd string, but he did look better than Orton.

ColoradoDarin
08-30-2009, 03:42 PM
i don't see a problem in giving o'connell a shot. He knows the system has a previous relationship with mcdaniels, and would be a good backup. Especially with simms being out for a possible lengthy period of time. Also he is better than ingle, and brandstater has ps written all over him.

+1

ohiobronco2
08-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Has anyone seen that Drew Brees guy? He's pretty good. Isnt he on a roster though?

:rofl:

He's pretty good, but I'd really like to have Jay Cutler. Boy the Bears sure are lucky. So are we, we have one of the premier minds in football to run our operations. See below for a rarely seen pic of Josh McDaniels explaining his offensive strategy to Bronco personnel.

Bronco LB52
08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Did you actually watch him play? Your comments only make sense if you didn't.

I have watched Redman going back to his days at Louisville.

He moves around like he has his foot in a bucket. 21 career NFL carries for 28 yards.

WABronco
08-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Redman is a ****ing scrub really guys? So what if he looked ok in pre-season. Not to mention he's their backup so it's not like "he's available"...

lex
08-30-2009, 04:15 PM

Or maybe it says something for your guy, Josh McDaniels, not being there. Last year Cassel sucked in preseason (there was talk of cutting him) and they were reluctant to let Cassel step in and were looking at other guys. I think it was McDaniels who convinced them that Cassel would be suitable. I could be wrong about that though.

listopencil
08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I have watched Redman going back to his days at Louisville.

He moves around like he has his foot in a bucket. 21 career NFL carries for 28 yards.

Uh...he's a Quarterback. You do realize that?

lex
08-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Uh...he's a Quarterback. You do realize that?

Apparently, we need a backup for when they start running the option with Orton.

elsid13
08-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Apparently, we need a backup for when they start running the option with Orton.

The option would cut down on the chance that Orton would throw a INT

lex
08-30-2009, 04:36 PM
The option would cut down on the chance that Orton would throw a INT

Sold!!! Lets do it! I dont like this offense anyway.

Hallside
08-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I thought he was a great developmental prospect coming out. Fortunately, McD knows about as much about him as anyone.

UberBroncoMan
08-30-2009, 05:48 PM
I bet we cut Martin and pick this guy up. He knows the offense unlike Martin and he's only 24.

That said he's shown bad decision making and a tendency to get sacked.

lex
08-31-2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2530643&postcount=34

bump

uplink
08-31-2009, 12:59 AM
Either Pioli or McD pushed for him to be picked last year in the 3rd round probably so he'll get a look from the Chiefs or Broncos I bet. Wonder why the Pats couldn't get something for him? Maybe McD couldn't part with another pick next year.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

BroncoMan4ever
08-31-2009, 01:15 AM

Maybe he was a McDaniels guy and doesn't fit with what the Pats want to do.

regardless, how often does a 3rd round pick at the QB position get dumped after 1 year?

TonyR
08-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Pats make it official with O'Connell
Posted by Mike Florio on August 31, 2009 12:00 PM ET

Despite the possibility of trading him to the Chiefs or the Broncos, the Patriots have followed through with their plan to release quarterback Kevin O'Connell, a third-round pick in the 2008 draft.

The Patriots have announced that O'Connell has been waived.

And so O'Connell's contract will be available to the team with the highest priority in the waiver process. As we pointed out on Sunday, only the Lions and the Rams have a higher position than the Chiefs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/31/pats-make-it-official-with-oconnell/

footstepsfrom#27
08-31-2009, 09:26 AM
If he can throw it farther than 8 yards why not? Toss him in the pond with Tom B and Ingle and see who competes for Orton's job.

Elway777
08-31-2009, 10:07 AM
I think the Bronco should go after Drew stanton. He looks the part of a franchise QB .

DenverBroncosJM
08-31-2009, 10:11 AM
^This

I agree the ATL guy looks really good.

bloodsunday
08-31-2009, 10:52 AM
I think we need to if only because he knows the system and our depth is going to be an issue until Orton and Simms are both healthy.

BigPlayShay
09-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Detroit nabbed him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4438250

WABronco
09-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Ah the benefits of being the ****tiest team...you get first crack at 3rd quarterbacks!

elsid13
09-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Well that ****ing sucked.

titan
09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
From a Pats reporter on twitter:

QB Kevin O'Connell claimed on waivers by Detroit, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Detroit had first priority.

PRBronco
09-01-2009, 04:27 PM
According to pft we did try to claim him, as did Cleveland and NYJ.

Florida_Bronco
09-01-2009, 04:52 PM

BroncoBuff
09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Detroit nabbed him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4438250

Beat me to it.

I wonder if he starts ... let Stafford move in slowly.

scorpio
09-01-2009, 06:20 PM
According to pft we did try to claim him, as did Cleveland and NYJ.

I wonder if Ingle Martin will start refusing to take phone calls

Dedhed
09-01-2009, 06:24 PM
This could be a blessing in disguise. The lions have two spots occupied on their roster with Culpepper and Stafford, and they aren't going to keep 4 QBs. They're going to have to let go of either Stanton or O'Connell, and either would be an upgrade at this point.

My guess is they're just seeing if anyone will give up a pick for O'Connell given that Stanton already knows the system. If there aren't any takers they'll let him go.

Does anyone know if the Lions let him go whether he becomes a FA, or goes back on waivers?

DBroncos4life
09-01-2009, 06:26 PM
I wonder if Ingle Martin will start refusing to take phone calls

Yeah I bet he is in Pats Fav 5. I'm willing to bet if someone says Ingle Martin around Pat he will say sure I'll have one but make mine a double.

elsid13
09-01-2009, 07:06 PM
This could be a blessing in disguise. The lions have two spots occupied on their roster with Culpepper and Stafford, and they aren't going to keep 4 QBs. They're going to have to let go of either Stanton or O'Connell, and either would be an upgrade at this point.

My guess is they're just seeing if anyone will give up a pick for O'Connell given that Stanton already knows the system. If there aren't any takers they'll let him go.

Does anyone know if the Lions let him go whether he becomes a FA, or goes back on waivers?

Stanton is hurt, that why they made this move.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090901/SPORTS0101/909010404/1126/Drew-Stanton-to-have-knee-surgery-today--Lions-add-two-quarterbacks