PDA

View Full Version : Cutler's Return Another Reminder of Bad Deal

orangemonkey
08-30-2009, 09:20 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2721/Cutler-s-return-another-reminder-of-bad-deal.html?post=true
Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

It could be a boo-fest at Invesco Field at Mile High on Sunday night.

The Broncos' trade of star quarterback Jay Cutler to Chicago in April is still causing emotions to bubble over in the Rocky Mountains. Cutler has caught the wrath of Broncos fans. But so has new Denver coach Josh McDaniels, who engineered the ouster of Cutler, and Kyle Orton, who has the task of replacing Cutler in Denver.

When Cutler and the Bears visit Denver on Sunday night in one of the most anticipated preseason games in Broncos history, all three men will likely be at the center of fans' displeasure.

Cutler will likely be booed because he wouldn't cooperate with the team after he caught wind that McDaniels was trying to reunite with former New England quarterback Matt Cassel. Cutler basically ignored the Broncos' brass, including owner Pat Bowlen, after the Cassel trade talks fell apart. The fans became upset when Cutler gave up on the franchise after the Cassel talks became public.

McDaniels has upset Denver fans for starting the Cutler mess by thinking about trading him. Many fans thought McDaniels was replacing Mike Shanahan to give the franchise new blood, not to tear it apart. Cutler fans may never forgive McDaniels.

Orton has already been booed in Denver. If he makes a miscue with Cutler in the house, the boo birds will be out in full force. Orton was booed at a scrimmage at Invesco Field earlier this month and he further upset the home folks by throwing interceptions on three straight series in his first preseason games. Orton is no Cutler and he may pay for it.

Broncos fans are treating this game like a playoff game. Earlier in the week, I asked Denver fans how they will respond when they see Cutler in a Bears uniform in Denver. As expected, they are ready to give it to Cutler. McDaniels may hear it as well.

Here is sampling of fans' thoughts:

Eric Sickler from Virginia Beach, Va: Jay Cutler's reception will undoubtedly be less than friendly Sunday night. While he had his share of supporters during the debacle with the front office in the offseason, he has widely been considered a bit aloof to the fans and the media. Any suppporters he had were probably lost earlier this month after his comments regarding the fans of Denver paling in comparision to those of the Bears. I wish I had the opportunity to boo him myself.

Chris Scena from Littleton, Colo.: I think Cutler will be booed mercilessly, but I don't think it will be fair. From everything I have seen from McDaniels thus far, I am woefully unimpressed. I have been unhappy with most of what the team has done since Bowlen hired him.

John from Colorado Springs: Boo Cutler? I can't imagine any true Bronco fan doing that. Look at how ridiculous Josh McDaniels has made our once-proud franchise look in the short amount of time he has been here. Every reporter called the Cutler trade unprecedented when it happened. There is a reason for that. No coach/GM/owner in his right mind would trade a Pro Bowl QB just entering his prime.

Ryan from San Francisco: Bill, it's going to be ugly. The Denver faithful have gone through an offseason where beloved coach Mike Shannahan was fired, Jay Cutler was driven out of town, and now Brandon Marshall looks like he could be following. We need someone to blame, a villain if you will. And since we're stuck with Pat Bowlen and McKiddo, that person becomes Jay Cutler. Bronco fans are going to boo the loudest you've ever heard them boo.

While it's still early, there are several indications that this will end up a bad deal for Denver:

Orton has demonstrated he is not as good as Cutler: It may be unfair to categorize Orton as a player who can't reach Cutler's potential after a short time in Denver, but he's struggled. He was unimpressive in training camp and he scared the John Elway jerseys off thousands of Broncos fans when he threw interceptions on three straight series in the preseason opener. Orton was better in the second preseason game at Seattle, but he showed the limitations that made him nothing more than a marginal starter in Chicago, a player the Bears jumped at to replace.

I'm not sure if Orton has the skills to succeed in McDaniels' system. He does not throw a strong deep ball, so cornerbacks are going to be able to press the receivers hard, which could be trouble when using McDaniels' multiple-receiver sets.

Marshall might be happier to be in Denver with Cutler: The 2008 season ended with Brandon Marshall and Cutler looking like a powerhouse tandem for the next 10 years. The two combined for 206 completions the past two years and had terrific chemistry. Shortly after Cutler was traded, Marshall became disgruntled. He wants more money and wants to be traded. Had the Cutler situation not popped up, Marshall's angst may have never gotten to this level.

Players would feel better with Cutler: When I visited Denver's camp earlier this month, I spoke with several players. I got the feeling that the players would have been much more comfortable with Cutler. No one was outwardly down on Orton, but they know Cutler is a star.

Cutler would complete an outstanding offense: Orton's troubles will hold this unit back. With a defense that is still a work in progress, a Cutler-led offense would give Denver at least a puncher's chance to win every week.

Borks147
08-30-2009, 09:37 AM
go eat a burger, bill

BroncoBuff
08-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Lots of good points, but what're you gonna do?

These kinds of articles are becoming less and less interesting ... who really cares anymore?

Rohirrim
08-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I say we hire a witch doctor to hold an exorcism of the Cutler ghost from Broncoland. ;D

DenverBrit
08-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Lots of good points, but what're you gonna do?

These kinds of articles are becoming less and less interesting ... who really cares anymore?

Not me, I'm too concerned about the team we DO have.

BroncoBuff
08-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Not me, I'm too concerned about the team we DO have.

Exactly. At some point you gotta let it go... for me that point was the opening kickoff at Candlestick.

"Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change ..."

lazarus4444
08-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Wow, is this writer a cutler fan? Never would have guessed, lol.

Pat Bowlen
08-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Bill is a stiff, and he and ESPN know it. That's why they hired him.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Wow, is this writer a cutler fan? Never would have guessed, lol.

Not a fan per se... but he does seem to have something on his chin...

broncswin
08-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Go broncos!! F^^k bill

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-30-2009, 10:19 AM

No, wait... that's just his other six chins.

My bad.

Los Broncos
08-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Its going to be strange seeing him facing us that's all I know.

cutthemdown
08-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Its going to be strange seeing him facing us that's all I know.

hopefully we get to see him get knocked around some. Otherwise he probably lights us up.

Really tough times to love the Broncos.

Los Broncos
08-30-2009, 10:50 AM
hopefully we get to see him get knocked around some. Otherwise he probably lights us up.

I haven't been this excited for a preseasoner since I don't know when.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Bull****. Seriously.

Watching Danny Kanell lead this team was a tough time to love the Broncos.

Watching Wade Phillips trip over his own fat, wasting two years of Elway's prime on mediocre coaching... THAT was a tough time to love the Broncos.

Guess what? I did it anyway.

When it came right down to it, there wasn't anything "tough" about it.

Losing your job? That's tough.

Losing your house? That's tough.

Having the wife leave? Could be tough or good, depending on your situation. :rofl:

But seriously: I get to watch my favorite team play my favorite sport in my favorite city. I can go to the game or I can watch on my big screen at home. Tough?? Not even close.

Have some perspective.

errand
08-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I say we hire a witch doctor to hold an exorcism of the Cutler ghost from Broncoland. ;D

The only thing that is gonna erase the Ghost of QB's past is for Orton and McDaniels to accomplish something Cutler hasn't....like win more than 8 freaking games a season and make the playoffs.

errand
08-30-2009, 11:09 AM

you know a few guys on D are wanting to hit the hell outta Jay....afterall those practices where they weren't allowed to, his culpability in the trade, a few of them might feel they owe him one or two smacks.....

TheReverend
08-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Bull****. Seriously.

Watching Danny Kanell lead this team was a tough time to love the Broncos.

That was for 2 whole games, dude....

Hercules Rockefeller
08-30-2009, 11:15 AM

Having the wife leave? Could be tough or good, depending on your situation. :rofl:

But seriously: I get to watch my favorite team play my favorite sport in my favorite city. I can go to the game or I can watch on my big screen at home. Tough?? Not even close.

Have some perspective.

QFT. This **** gets old. Waaaah, people laugh at me if I wear Broncos gear in public. Waaaah, I don't know what to do, they traded the starting QB in Denver.

It's a ****ing sport, not real life. If anything that happened this offseason caused you emotional pain, seek help, because nothing that happened this offseason was in your control and it shouldn't effect your life in any real way.

Hercules Rockefeller
08-30-2009, 11:19 AM
John from Colorado Springs: Boo Cutler? I can't imagine any true Bronco fan doing that. Look at how ridiculous Josh McDaniels has made our once-proud franchise look in the short amount of time he has been here. Every reporter called the Cutler trade unprecedented when it happened. There is a reason for that. No coach/GM/owner in his right mind would trade a Pro Bowl QB just entering his prime.

The Raiders are a once proud franchise. The "Team of the Decades" has the worst record in the league since their last Super Bowl appearance and their fans are waiting for the owner to die so things can improve.

The 49ers are a once proud franchise.

The Chiefs are a once proud franchise.

24-24 over the past 3 seasons and an offseason you don't agree with even though a real game hasn't been played yet, doesn't make Denver "a once proud franchise."

Get some ****ing perspective.

Oh and Bill, I never realized that it was a straight Orton-Cutler swap, silly me.

Tombstone RJ
08-30-2009, 11:20 AM
bull****. Seriously.

Watching danny kanell lead this team was a tough time to love the broncos.

Watching wade phillips trip over his own fat, wasting two years of elway's prime on mediocre coaching... That was a tough time to love the broncos.

Guess what? I did it anyway.

But seriously: I get to watch my favorite team play my favorite sport in my favorite city. I can go to the game or i can watch on my big screen at home. Tough?? Not even close.

Have some perspective.

qft

Northman
08-30-2009, 11:35 AM

^This

I wouldnt go as far as too say i want him to get seriously injured. But, i do want us to rough him up a little. if we cant get near him, he will look like Joe Montana out there.

lex
08-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Exactly. At some point you gotta let it go... for me that point was the opening kickoff at Candlestick.

"Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change ..."

No you dont.

DenverBrit
08-30-2009, 11:45 AM
No you dont.

Congratulations, again!!

http://thegazz.com/gblogs/karinfuller/files/2008/08/whiner.JPG

Cool Breeze
08-30-2009, 12:14 PM

http://billperkins.us/images/squirrel_nuts.jpg

Popps
08-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Yea, let's analyze this trade 3 games into the preseason.

That always works.

Talk to me in 3 years, and we may have an idea of who came out on top in the trade.

TheReverend
08-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Yea, let's analyze this trade 3 games into the preseason.

That always works.

Talk to me in 3 years, and we may have an idea of who came out on top in the trade.

Ummm... we're a culture that doesn't have the patience to sit through commercials anymore, and we're supposed to wait 3 years before discussing this? Ludicrous!

WolfpackGuy
08-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Can we hurry up and just get the next two years over with?
That's all it will take.

chex
08-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Interesting article.

One thing I didn't see was that Orton somehow managed a 21-12 record with far less talent on offense than Cutler did with his 17-20 record.

Or the fact that the Bears actually scored more points last year, with Orton starting 15 games, than we did with Cutler starting 16, despite this great young Super Bowl caliber nucleus we supposedly have on offense.

RMT
08-30-2009, 12:40 PM
so, bill ... replacing cutler with orton is a bad deal?

this isn't the first time we've seen something like this ... many of us recall someone coming here to place Adam Schefter ... i think his name was bill, too. and he sucked donkey balls before ESPN did Broncos' Country a favor and hired his fat ass. what a joke.

Man-Goblin
08-30-2009, 12:46 PM
http://billperkins.us/images/squirrel_nuts.jpg

I bet in the squirrel community, that squirrel is like king of the squirrels.

Cito Pelon
08-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Poorly written article.

A writer shouldn't go from "Josh McDaniels, who engineered the ouster of Cutler" to "McDaniels has upset Denver fans for starting the Cutler mess by thinking about trading him" in the span of four sentences.

That's just ridiculous for a writer to come out with a strong assertion like "engineered", then follow it up four sentences later with "thinking about".

DenverBrit
08-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Poorly written article.

A writer shouldn't go from "Josh McDaniels, who engineered the ouster of Cutler" to "McDaniels has upset Denver fans for starting the Cutler mess by thinking about trading him" in the span of four sentences.

That's just ridiculous for a writer to come out with a strong assertion like "engineered", then follow it up four sentences later with "thinking about".

To be fair, it was a very large pork chop he was balancing on his fork at the time.

One slip and breakfast would have been ruined.

Broncos4tw
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
lmao... people love getting all over writers who dare say a bad thing about McD or Orton. Even when it's the truth. Not sure why, but I don't see why you are getting defensive. So many fans for whatever reason were elated we ditched Cutler and brought in wonderboy. Clearly it's best fot the team rigth? "Orton will do BETTER on this team and system than Cutler would have!" LMAO! Sorry.. that one still cracks me up.

I'm a fan 'til the day I die, but I still think it was a stupid trade, and while McD might be a great coach one day, I personally think he is well over his head, and it shows. I still hope we kick the Bears ass though. But I won't be booing Cutler, I still don't get the venon towards this guy. He acted petulant with then news about shopping him, but he was hardly a detriment to this team. I can't imagine anyone in the last few years that would have entertained getting rid of him... in any system.

Cito Pelon
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
To be fair, it was a very large pork chop he was balancing on his fork at the time.

One slip and breakfast would have been ruined.

True, pork chops can be very tricky to handle. Even dogs take a moment to plan their strategy about how to attack a chop. So yes, I was hasty.