PDA

View Full Version : Time to try Scheffler at WR?

footstepsfrom#27
08-28-2009, 04:34 PM
It's been mentioned in here before...seems like a good time to experiment with this now. Eddie's gonne see a ton of double coverage. He's got the size and enough speed to be a threat and apparently the TE won't be involved as much in the passing game anyway.

Discuss.

listopencil
08-28-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't see the benefit.

Paladin
08-28-2009, 04:40 PM
No. He is best at beating the LBs, and CBs may be another story for him. He is big, but not as fast as CBs. I would say that the idea has virtually no chanace of being implemented unless the WR corps ws badly undermanned. That is not presently the case.....

orange 4 life
08-28-2009, 04:42 PM
It's been mentioned in here before...seems like a good time to experiment with this now. Eddie's gonne see a ton of double coverage. He's got the size and enough speed to be a threat and apparently the TE won't be involved as much in the passing game anyway.

Discuss.

He just doesn't have the speed to play WR, but playing him in the slot in 3-5 wide situations would make alot of sense.

meangene
08-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Not at WR but I do see more use of him in two TE sets and splitting him out to create mismatches out of the regular set as well. I think that was already in the plans anyway. I honestly think we have at least three solid wideouts in Royal, Gaffney and Stokley. I also like McKinley from what I have seen so far. Lloyd returns this week after looking pretty good up until he got dinged and there is still Chad Jackson. The cupboard is far from bare at WR.

BroncoBuff
08-28-2009, 04:48 PM
He'll line up all over of course .... the name you give to his position is not really relevant.

broncofan7
08-28-2009, 05:01 PM
He should be a red zone target for sure--put him on the perimeter @ WR and throw it up to him........

Mogulseeker
08-28-2009, 05:08 PM
It might not be a bad idea to have a big, quick blocker in all those slot screen plays McD likes to run.

He's quick for his size, and he's what, about 6'5" 240? So he is about the size of B-Marsh and Shannon Sharpe, both of whom have played at the WR spot for Denver.

The defense can't ALWAYS come out in the Nickel package, and Scheffler at WR could cause some matchup problems, especially when the defense is trying to read run v pass.

I say it's a good idea.

EDIT - Sharpe STARTED OUT at WR and was moved to TE.

UberBroncoMan
08-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't mind Tony taking over Marshall's roll.

He's not the "best" blocker either, so Graham and Quinn taking over the TE roles and Tony being a WR is something I think would work out.

Mogulseeker
08-28-2009, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't mind Tony taking over Marshall's roll.

He's not the "best" blocker either, so Graham and Quinn taking over the TE roles and Tony being a WR is something I think would work out.

That's where I'd see Tony - in a similar role to Marshall. Especially since that role has kind of diminished with the new system.

UberBroncoMan
08-28-2009, 05:15 PM
That's where I'd see Tony - in a similar role to Marshall. Especially since that role has kind of diminished with the new system.

Not to mention it gets Quinn some great experience.

I think this move is a necessity to be honest.

I was actually an advocate for it before free agency.

I wanted a 3 WR set of Marshall, Tony, and Royal... obviously it would be Tony, Jabar, Royal or Tony, Stokes, Royal now.

Mogulseeker
08-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I do think Marshall will be back, though. This year, maybe not next though.

footstepsfrom#27
08-28-2009, 05:20 PM
As I recall, Scheffler's combine numbers had him running a 4.55 40, which while not blazing, is as good as quite few NFL receivers. Wasn't Marshall clocking a 4.49 or something? 6'5", 250...almost 20 pounds heavier than Marshall, good hands...seems like a close approximation to what we're losing, at least in terms of the physical measurables. Whether he can stand up to a heavy load or not is my main question.

Mogulseeker
08-28-2009, 05:24 PM
As I recall, Scheffler's combine numbers had him running a 4.55 40, which while not blazing, is as good as quite few NFL receivers. Wasn't Marshall clocking a 4.49 or something? 6'5", 250...almost 20 pounds heavier than Marshall, good hands...seems like a close approximation to what we're losing, at least in terms of the physical measurables. Whether he can stand up to a heavy load or not is my main question.

That's how I see it. And for football players, it's a lot easier to drop weight than gain it.

I'm intrigued to see Scheffler's role in this offense. I can definitely see him playing the flanker on crossing routes and slot screens, and we're not going to be setting up the deep ball that often, so I think he can make a fine WR.

cutthemdown
08-28-2009, 06:07 PM
it may mean more creative ways to start big, then motion TE and RBS out wide to get mismatches. But no I wouldnt like the idea of just lining Sheff out wide. He's not a wr.

Williams
08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. With Marshall gone we're missing that big, physical presence at the position. Like you said, he's got the speed... and we're already set at TE with Graham & Quinn. Why not?

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 06:24 PM
He'll line up all over of course .... the name you give to his position is not really relevant.

exactly

That One Guy
08-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't personally recall Scheffler being anything after the catch. I recall some crazy catches but almost never a catch and run. Am I mistaken here? Without YAC ability, you can't do the quick screen plays that Marchall was good at.

Archer81
08-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Sheffler is big, good speed and nice hands. Get him on the field to create matchup issues. Either at TE, FB or WR.

:Broncos:

Killericon
08-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Use him like Dallas Clark or Chris Cooley...All over the place.

Popps
08-28-2009, 11:54 PM
I posted last night that I think he'll be seeing more balls thrown his way because of Marshall's eventual, likely departure or benching. We'll need some physical receivers out there from time to time.

Though, NE's system really hasn't relied on the giant, mauler-type receiver much in the past 5 years or so. Moss is certainly a tall guy, and gifted... but not a physical receiver.

Still, I think we'll see Sheffler being used to create mismatches quite often. That's what our offense is all about. That's why we have to have smart, versatile players.

BroncoMan4ever
08-29-2009, 12:00 AM

i would like to see him lined up wide getting the screen passes that Marshall would have gotten. he is far to big and strong for a DB to cover 1 on 1 on those routes, and that would cause mismatches all over the field.

lex
08-29-2009, 12:10 AM

Straight line speed is one thing. You have to worry if Scheffler is nimble enough to run routes with sharp angles like a real WR. Just think about Scheffler's recent fumble where he lost the ball just as he was trying to turn upfield after catching a pass. Did that look familiar to anyone? It should have. It was similar to a play last year (against the Jags I think), where he lost the ball in similar situation. I think there are some routes he would be ok at like a button hook and a post maybe, but something like on out can be a problem.

BroncoMan4ever
08-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Straight line speed is one thing. You have to worry if Scheffler is nimble enough to run routes with sharp angles like a real WR. Just think about Scheffler's recent fumble where he lost the ball just as he was trying to turn upfield after catching a pass. Did that look familiar to anyone? It should have. It was similar to a play last year (against the Jags I think), where he lost the ball in similar situation. I think there are some routes he would be ok at like a button hook and a post maybe, but something like on out can be a problem.

i'd like to see him on the receiving end of the screen passes we seem to be throwing all the time. he is too big and strong for DBs and would force defenses to cover him with a LB which takes them out of their confort zone and gives Scheff advantages either way.

BroncoMan4ever
08-29-2009, 01:24 AM

the 40 is the worst judge of player speed in my opinion. in what situation is a player ever going all out in a straight line. the shuttle speed is what is the better judge of speed, tells how fast a player can make cuts and how good their feet are.

DBroncos4life
08-29-2009, 02:22 AM
Red Zone, fade route.

cmhargrove
08-29-2009, 07:50 AM
No. He is best at beating the LBs, and CBs may be another story for him. He is big, but not as fast as CBs. I would say that the idea has virtually no chanace of being implemented unless the WR corps ws badly undermanned. That is not presently the case.....

This.

I have full confidence that McD is creative enought to have receivers on the field and create mismatches from almost anywhere. Also, our pass blocking still appears to be stellar this year.

Tony's best work comes against LB's after he has taken them across the field, or a little deep. Expect more of that. We have already seen Graham run a TE screen, which is a very viable option, and someone else mentioned the fade route.

Tony will probably shift all over the field, but his "position" should stay the same.

TheDave
08-29-2009, 08:01 AM

As much as I think this is a stupid idea and it belongs on Bronco Mania... There is some truth to this.

Scheffler would not make it as a WR the way brandon Marshall would. But, with 15 out of the line up this offense is in dire need of a physical pressence. Our recieving core is like a backetball team 1's and 2's we need a power forward who can bang down low.

Still don't think it would work, but splitting him out wide here and there could help.

elsid13
08-29-2009, 08:24 AM
As much as I think this is a stupid idea and it belongs on Bronco Mania... There is some truth to this.

Scheffler would not make it as a WR the way brandon Marshall would. But, with 15 out of the line up this offense is in dire need of a physical pressence. Our recieving core is like a backetball team 1's and 2's we need a power forward who gan bang down low.

Still don't think it would work, but splitting him out wide here and there could help.

Not really, when was the last time you remember this system having a Physical WR that worked that middle of the field. It doesn't have one, this offense is 3 guard offense without power forwarder.

TheDave
08-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Not really, when was the last time you remember this system having a Physical WR that worked that middle of the field. It doesn't have one, this offense is 3 guard offense without power forwarder.

True...

Damn, I actually thought I said something smart... Oh well ;D

elsid13
08-29-2009, 08:31 AM
True...

Damn, I actually thought I said something smart... Oh well ;D

Don't worry I will clearly note when you post something smart ;D

Hogan11
08-29-2009, 08:31 AM
I'd like to see Bailey retake a few snaps @ WR, too bad that idea was abandoned. Champ never seemed to object to it much so maybe he never cared for the WR position after once trying it out.

DarkHorse
08-29-2009, 08:39 AM
I'd rather see Hillis on the field in more positions.

SportinOne
08-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Scheffler is a tight end. He's fast and quite agile for a tight end and has great hands.

You can split him out but if he starts getting covered by corners he loses a lot of value.

Mediator12
08-29-2009, 10:14 AM
It is not necessary to switch him to WR, as this Offense uses a lot of Multiple TE sets and very few Multiple RB/H-back sets. Tony's already a versatile guy and Will get plenty of chances to catch the ball, especially with Marshall acting like a spoiled kid who wantsa to take his ball and go home....

~Crash~
08-29-2009, 10:20 AM
who is faster Putz or Scheffler ? I know we tried this before it did not work the CB ate up this Ideah....

~Crash~
08-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Red Zone, fade route. this might work but not on all CB's

~Crash~
08-29-2009, 10:24 AM

Scheffler would not make it as a WR the way brandon Marshall would. But, with 15 out of the line up this offense is in dire need of a physical pressence. Our recieving core is like a backetball team 1's and 2's we need a power forward who can bang down low.

We have tried this with Shanhan it sucked . did not work

dreasher54
08-29-2009, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't mind.

lex
08-29-2009, 11:02 AM

I think the best thing to do would be to have him lineup at TE and then split out to the slot and run posts, buttonhooks, and seam routes. I think he would have to lineup at TE initially wo he would be marked by a LB and then use him to clear space or as a deep threat from there. Other than that, simple short routes that dont involve sharp cuts.

barryr
08-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Scheffler is more effective in the slot, which is where Stockley is most effective too, but those 2 can replace each other from play to play. Neither one is likely going to do much if playing wide, at least if all the time.

Mogulseeker
08-29-2009, 03:26 PM
i would like to see him lined up wide getting the screen passes that Marshall would have gotten. he is far to big and strong for a DB to cover 1 on 1 on those routes, and that would cause mismatches all over the field.

He's easier to bring down than Marshall, though.

But I had no idea his 40 was 4.5 - if that's the case, then hell yeah try him out at WR. In a system that doesn't use tight ends very much, and the potential of losing our big, physically guy at WR, we may NEED to try Scheffler at WR.

Florida_Bronco
08-29-2009, 04:14 PM
who is faster Putz or Scheffler ? I know we tried this before it did not work the CB ate up this Ideah....

Scheffler is much faster than Putz. Putz only runs like a 4.8 second 40 or something like that.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-29-2009, 05:05 PM
I'd rather see Hillis on the field in more positions.

Co-sign.