08-28-2009, 08:45 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13222721

tsiguy96
08-28-2009, 08:45 AM
yes!!!

**** you marshall you whiny pussy.

gunns
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
He deserves it and I hope he realizes that. He's making that contract he wants so badly smaller and smaller. Grow up Brandon.

prunch
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
For his punt and other acts of misbehavior, the Broncos have given receiver Brandon Marshall the boot.

The Broncos have suspended Marshall for conduct detrimental to the team. Marshall was informed of the suspension by coach Josh McDaniels this morning. McDaniels informed the rest of the players at a team meeting Friday morning.

Marshall’s apology Thursday night on ESPN was too late. The punishment stems from Marshall’s shameful display of unprofessionalism during practice Wednesday. He was lackadaisical during individual running drills. He didn’t run routes or catch passes during another position drill, instead choosing to hold a dummy and knocking the receivers as they came off the line.

A KMGH-7 video caught Marshall punting the ball away after one drill instead of handing it to a ball boy, as the players are told.

Marshall was held out of practice Wednesday, but that was before the Broncos were aware of the magnitude of his insubordination.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels decided to suspend Marshall Friday morning. The length of the suspension is not known although Marshall is not expected to play in the Broncos’ next preseason game Sunday night against the Chicago Bears and his former quarterback, Jay Cutler.

Marshall caught 206 passes the previous two seasons for the Broncos, enough production for him to request a contract extension that has one year and $2.198 million remaining. He has twice requested a trade.

Perhaps realizing the circulating video of his misconduct could all but kill his ability to get traded, Marshall went on ESPN’s NFL Live show at 10:42 p.m. MST to explain his actions.

“”Me punting the ball was definitely frustration,” Marshall said. “”It was an error in judgment. There was a lot of frustration (Wednesday) coming out of a meeting.”

McDaniels would not explain the reason behind Marshall’s absence from practice Thursday.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
If he's truly sorry for his behavior, which I doubt, then he'll come back from this suspension with a different view of the situation. If he's still being a cock, then hopefully someone will tell him he's ruining his young career and, either way, he needs to shape up.

prunch
08-28-2009, 08:48 AM
You know i'll miss his talent but i am more pleased that the broncos ain't one of those organizations that has players who think they are above management.

Br0nc0Buster
08-28-2009, 08:48 AM
:thumbs:

SoDak Bronco
08-28-2009, 08:49 AM
This is the only thing the Broncos could do. They can't let a player get away with this ****. Brandon is going to lose some $$ and he has no-one to blame but himself. This will likely send him on some crazy rage, I have my doubts he can make it 1 month without getting in some sort of legal trouble.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-28-2009, 08:51 AM
WWPD

What would the Patriots do?

They'd suspend him, too.

cousinal11
08-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Great news! You aren't bigger than this team you freaking immature child.

TheDave
08-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Had to be done...

cousinal11
WWPD

They'd suspend him, too.

The Pats have won 3 Super Bowls and been to 4 this decade. I don't mind doing what they would do if the result is a better team.

DrFate
Here is my question - how does this move relate to the TO and Keyshawn suspensions? Weren't they also suspended without pay but the union fought it?

prunch
08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
"Suspension on Marshall is for rest of preaseason. If he behaves during that time, Broncos can bring him back for regular-season opener."

Shefters twitter

Pseudofool
08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
What does the suspension constitute exactly? Does he go without pay? Is he allowed to utilize facilities? Is he held out of practice and games? Does he go home?

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Here is my question - how does this move relate to the TO and Keyshawn suspensions? Weren't they also suspended without pay but the union fought it?

PFT

Broncos can't send Marshall home with pay

Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2009 8:41 AM ET
Some of you have suggested that the Denver Broncos should take a page from the Jon Gruden/Andy Reid playbook and send disgruntled receiver Brandon Marshall home, with pay.

Gruden did just that with receiver Keyshawn Johnson during the 2003 season, giving Keyshawn an extended vacation after repeated clashes between player and coach.

Two years later, the Eagles followed a four-game unpaid suspension of receiver Terrell Owens with a suspension for the rest of the year, with pay.

Though Keyshawn didn't fight his paid vacation, the grievance filed by Owens included an attempt to force the Eagles either to let Owens back in the building or cut him loose.

The effort failed.

And so, when it was time to work out a new Collective Bargaining Agreement after the 2005 season, the NFL Players Association slipped into the new deal language prohibiting teams from sending players home with pay.

Here's the relevant language from the provision in the current labor contract permitting maximum discipline of a four-game suspension without pay: "This maximum applies without limitation to any deactivation of a player in response to player conduct (other than a deactivation in response to a player's on-field playing ability), and any such deactivation, even with pay, shall be considered discipline subject to the limits set forth in this section. The Non-Injury Grievance Arbitrator's decision in Terrell Owens (Nov. 23, 2005) is thus expressly overruled as to any Club decision to deactivate a player in response to the player's conduct."

So while the Broncos can sit Marshall down for maximum suspensions of four games at a time in response to conduct detrimental to the team, the Broncos cannot pay him to stay out of their hair.

~Crash~
yes!!!

**** you marshall you whiny p***Y.

your happy? you are such a raider fan :thumbsup:

CSU Husker
What does this do $ wise, he doesnt get paid? Fines?

Punisher
Hes suspended for the remainder of the preseason not the season. Via ESPN

Ramathorn
08-28-2009, 08:55 AM
More egg on the face of the great mcdouchebag. Wow, r we the raiders now?

dbfan4life
08-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Can't say I disagree with this. He brought it on himself.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-28-2009, 08:56 AM

Explain...if you think you can.

cousinal11
08-28-2009, 08:57 AM

Cutler and now Marshall have asked for what they have gotten. Have you seen what that punk did at practice Wednesday?

Go buy a Raiders jersey.

dbfan4life

So this is the coaches fault? Well, you're the first to say it but sadly not the last.

~Crash~
like I said this coach knew he could turn it on during the regular season he was letting marshall coast . that is not control .

dbfan21
This is the only thing the Broncos could do. They can't let a player get away with this ****. Brandon is going to lose some $$ and he has no-one to blame but himself. This will likely send him on some crazy rage, I have my doubts he can make it 1 month without getting in some sort of legal trouble.

Rep! I agree that the Broncos were left with no choice other than to suspend him. He backed his bosses into a corner and they did the right thing. Plus, this will show the rest of the team that the FO is in charge and they will not tolerate this crap.

BM will lose money due to the suspension and hopefully it will change his attitude...but I'm not holding my breath. Chances are (like you said SoDak) that he will get pissed, beat his girl, down a fifth of bourbon and plow into a parked police car.

What a sad, sad situation. He can only blame himself for this.

DrFate
08-28-2009, 08:58 AM
PFT

Broncos can't send Marshall home with pay

Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2009 8:41 AM ET
Some of you have suggested that the Denver Broncos should take a page from the Jon Gruden/Andy Reid playbook and send disgruntled receiver Brandon Marshall home, with pay.

Gruden did just that with receiver Keyshawn Johnson during the 2003 season, giving Keyshawn an extended vacation after repeated clashes between player and coach.

Two years later, the Eagles followed a four-game unpaid suspension of receiver Terrell Owens with a suspension for the rest of the year, with pay.

Though Keyshawn didn't fight his paid vacation, the grievance filed by Owens included an attempt to force the Eagles either to let Owens back in the building or cut him loose.

The effort failed.

And so, when it was time to work out a new Collective Bargaining Agreement after the 2005 season, the NFL Players Association slipped into the new deal language prohibiting teams from sending players home with pay.

Here's the relevant language from the provision in the current labor contract permitting maximum discipline of a four-game suspension without pay: "This maximum applies without limitation to any deactivation of a player in response to player conduct (other than a deactivation in response to a player's on-field playing ability), and any such deactivation, even with pay, shall be considered discipline subject to the limits set forth in this section. The Non-Injury Grievance Arbitrator's decision in Terrell Owens (Nov. 23, 2005) is thus expressly overruled as to any Club decision to deactivate a player in response to the player's conduct."

So while the Broncos can sit Marshall down for maximum suspensions of four games at a time in response to conduct detrimental to the team, the Broncos cannot pay him to stay out of their hair.

Exactly - Thanks Rulon

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 09:00 AM
yes!!!

Will you still be saying that if we start 0-4?

What a crazy offseason .... week 1 cannot get here fast enough, so we can just talk games.

Popcorn Sutton
08-28-2009, 09:00 AM

Incredible.

cousinal11
08-28-2009, 09:01 AM

What a crazy offseason .... week 1 cannot get here fast enough, so we can just talk games.

Have you seen the video from Wed's practice? He is lucky he isn't in the hospital with a broken neck via Brian Dawkins.

Popps
08-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Great news! Brandon has been a distraction almost the entire time he's been a Brocno. Time to deal with it properly.

scorpio

http://imgur.com/WDewd.gif

DrFate
So - what's the next move? Based on what's in the CBA, you can't simply send him home until he straightens out. Call it the TO rule.

Do they move him?

TheDave
As ****ty as this situation is... Somehow Brandon Marshall, while pissing on his profession, his reputation and his teamates managed to unite the fan base.

Hows that for a silver linning?... ;D

cousinal11
08-28-2009, 09:03 AM
So - what's the next move? Based on what's in the CBA, you can't simply send him home until he straightens out. Call it the TO rule.

Do they move him?

No, until he grows up he is a Bronco without a jersey.

Anquan Boldin is on ESPN First Take saying that the way Marshall is acting isn't the way to get a trade.

SouthStndJunkie
08-28-2009, 09:04 AM
You knew this was coming very soon after the video was released yesterday.

Drek
08-28-2009, 09:05 AM
More of McDaniels having to clean up the **** Shanahan left behind.

Shanahan's career here is going to be remembered as a two part saga. The first half where he took this organization to the top where it had never been before, and the second half where he was complacent but still desired winning and traded character, fair competition, and a team first mindset for the immediate gratification of never quite falling into full rebuild mode, but at the same time never making it back to an elite level.

rastaman
08-28-2009, 09:05 AM
yes!!!

Coming from puzzy fan who wasn't ever talented enough to play in the NFL and is too chicken sheeeet to have ever put on an NFL uniform. LOL

DrFate
08-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Schefter just pointed out - a pre-season suspension costs Marshall exactly $0 - they only get paid for the regular season.

So - he gets a vacation. Will this change his attitude?

yerner

Anquan Boldin is on ESPN First Take saying that the way Marshall is acting isn't the way to get a trade.

What the **** does Boldin know about it? He's been trying to get traded for years now and has been playing the part of good citizen. His way doesn't work either.

worm
I wonder if he would have been suspended if this never came out in the media. He wasn't at practice on Thursday but wasn't suspended until the morning after it made National news.

IMO, the media has influenced a ton of decisions made in Dove Valley this off-season. Very reactive.

OABB
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
As ****ty as this situation is... Somehow Brandon Marshall, while pissing on his profession, his reputation and his teamates managed to unite the fan base.

Hows that for a silver linning?... ;D

it's actually very true. Not just lining. Mcd won the PR war this time. If only he had video of Jay being an unproffesional **** as well, this whole place would have been a lot less frustrating this offseason. I think we are all ready to root for a team of hard working professionals and not spoiled little ninnies. I thank Mcd for his efforts to turn this into a blue color team.

I only wish that Jay and Marshall weren't such little girls, we could have used them. Oh well. It's like finding out your future wife is a ball busting whore two weeks before the wedding. At least you aren't stuck with her, but it is a little dissapointing because she could suck the chrome off of a 57 chevy.

Let's go Broncos!

DrFate
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM

What about the TO rule? They can't simply send him home indefinitely...

SoDak Bronco
08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Suspension on Marshall is for rest of preaseason. If he behaves during that time, Broncos can bring him back for regular-season opener.

Drek

I'm in favor of this and everything McDaniels is doing to put this team on the right path, even if we go 0-16.

Shanahan left an insane asylum behind and McDaniels is being tasked with cleaning it up.

Rulon Velvet Jones
What the **** does Boldin know about it? He's been trying to get traded for years now and has been playing the part of good citizen. His way doesn't work either.

To his credit, though, Boldin is a badass and will get paid one way or another. Even if it's not in Arizona, he's shown his worth and kept his nose clean. Marshall is the complete opposite.

SoDak Bronco

No after the season the CBA changed and now you can't send players home w/pay. The max is 4 games w/o pay from what I've read.

Man-Goblin
08-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Best option. Good for the Broncos.

By the way, players don't get paid in the preseason. So unless they are going to fine him as well, he won't lose any money as long as he's back by 9/13.

TheDave
More of McDaniels having to clean up the **** Shanahan left behind.

Shanahan's career here is going to be remembered as a two part saga. The first half where he took this organization to the top where it had never been before, and the second half where he was complacent but still desired winning and traded character, fair competition, and a team first mindset for the immediate gratification of never quite falling into full rebuild mode, but at the same time never making it back to an elite level.

Would you guys knock this off...

Blamming Shanahan for this is just as stupid as the idiots that are running around blaming McDaniels.

Shanny took a chance with a 4th round pick that paid off with over 200 catches in 2 years. That is the definition of a good risk/reward selection.

Marshall is the only person to blame... no one else.

cousinal11

Is he suspended indefinitely?

Pseudofool
I still don't get how this plays out. So he just is sent home? And he'll return at the end of preseason?

Popcorn Sutton
08-28-2009, 09:10 AM

Do they move him?

The TO rule states they can't pay him to go away. They can still suspend him 4 games at a pop until he decides to become a functional member of the team.

OABB
I wonder if he would have been suspended if this never came out in the media. He wasn't at practice on Thursday but wasn't suspended until the morning after it made National news.

IMO, the media has influenced a ton of decisions made in Dove Valley this off-season. Very reactive.

wow. just wow. SO, trading a 25 year old probowl Qb was a media based decision?

cousinal11

Don't dress his panzy azz

MVP-06
08-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Trade him to the Browns for Edwards and a 6th.

I'll pay for his ticket

Smiling Assassin27
I can only shake my head at the arrogance and audacity of this guy. With the spotlight firmly on him by the media, his own teammates, his coaches, and oh yeah, GM's around the league considering giving away the farm for him, he wrapped his hands tightly around his own throat and choked.

This guy is not Bronco material. Starting 0-4 is immaterial in the big picture. Brandon has played his hand and displayed what he's all about, and it's nothing if not detrimental to the team. The problem is that you basically have two options--you bring him back and risk his laziness, immaturity, and contempt for his situation in Denver tearing apart any chemistry built up thus far on the team--or you suspend him for as long as possible and then release him. Nobody is going to trade for this guy after watching his act at practice. They'll wait until he gets released and then low ball the hell out of him on a FA contract.

What a waste this kid has let himself become.

cousinal11
Via ESPN 1st Take - McDaniels told him face to face this morning and then told the team.

Good for him!

worm
wow. just wow. SO, trading a 25 year old probowl Qb was a media based decision?

Certainly played out through and influenced by the media. On both sides.

no-pseudo-fan
08-28-2009, 09:12 AM
I am so tired of this. Brandon is acting like a complete punk, and is getting what he deserves. Josh McD is walking a fine line, if we lose this year he is the only one to blame. We can not be mad at Cutler or Orton. I can not believe that out of the 3 Pro Bowl players that we had last year, 1 got traded, 1 is desperate to get traded. When did Denver become Arizona?

Rock Chalk
08-28-2009, 09:15 AM

No, but they can suspend him for 4 games at a time and pre-season games do not count.

The keywords here are "at a time".

Theoretically they can suspend him 4 times for conduct detrimental to the team and thus not pay him one penny and not let him anywhere near a football field.

I doubt they would be able to get away with that unless they had absolute proof that Marshall was continuously being a colossal douche after each of his suspensions though.

crawdad
08-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Eddie Royal will make us all forget about Brandon Marshall. Well, forget what he was once worth anyway.

GO Broncos!!

Rohirrim
08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Sounds like Raider material to me.

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Have you seen the video from Wed's practice? He is lucky he isn't in the hospital with a broken neck via Brian Dawkins.

Yeah I saw it. Sad really.

Like I said in another thread. He's outplayed his contract. They should have extended him when he was found not guilty.

His contract can be written to protect the broncos.

Really Denver's not really doing much but letting him cool off. If they were serious they would suspend him into the season and cost him money.

The FO is in a real bind now. If they suspend him into the season they hurt the team. If they trade him they look weak to the team. They extend him the look weak to the fans. We start losing without him they hurt the fans.

I know, I know "team first" but really, that's great from a fan standpoint but these are people with a short career life. They get paid when they can. He has earned a payday in his last two years. Everyone wants him to just show up and play but, he's done that the last few years and it's gotten him nowhere. These people don't have to be good people to be good players that's just a fact. Even Randy Moss was firing up the J and running over cops before he won a superbowl and became a "team" guy.

As far as Dawkins I don't think your going to hear his teammates bashing him. They all know this has to do with money. They all want to get paid team players or not.

What a crazy crazy offseason. We really need for the season to get started.

Punisher
08-28-2009, 09:17 AM
When does the Off season Pain Stop.......

Pseudofool
you suspend him for as long as possible and then release him. Nobody is going to trade for this guy after watching his act at practice. They'll wait until he gets released and then low ball the hell out of him on a FA contract.
Let's hope it doesn't get to that point. Even Marshall must realize he's hurting his value both in trade and in his next contract. He's obviously been getting bad advice from his people, but his agent needs to slap him straight at some point (I think they tried with NFL Live last night).

Let's see how this plays out, before we talk about releasing the dude.

TheDave
No, but they can suspend him for 4 games at a time and pre-season games do not count.

The keywords here are "at a time".

Theoretically they can suspend him 4 times for conduct detrimental to the team and thus not pay him one penny and not let him anywhere near a football field.

I doubt they would be able to get away with that unless they had absolute proof that Marshall was continuously being a colossal douche after each of his suspensions though.

As unbelievable as that might seem... this idiot might be able to pull that off.

cousinal11
Sounds like Raider material to me.

Maybe if McDaniels broke Nolan's jaw.

Mr.Meanie
08-28-2009, 09:18 AM
I've been down the the coaching and FO management all offseason. This is the first thing McD has done that I don't agree with. Pre-season only? That's not even a punishment. He should be suspended 2 games at least, like the Panthers did last year to Steve Smith.

55CrushEm
08-28-2009, 09:19 AM
more egg on the face of the great mcdouchebag. Wow, r we the raiders now?

DrFate
08-28-2009, 09:20 AM

That's kind of my point. Logic would dictate they could suspend him without pay if he continues to be an ass - but the union won't sit idly by and let that happen. Not if teams are making offers (any offers) and he doesn't want to be here.

I'm just skeptical that the team can 'wait him out' if he continues to act petulant.

Smiling Assassin27
08-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Let's hope it doesn't get to that point. Even Marshall must realize he's hurting his value both in trade and in his next contract. He's obviously been getting bad advice from his people, but his agent needs to slap him straight at some point (I think they tried with NFL Live last night).

I'm not sure I buy that he's getting bad advice. The guy's past leads me to believe that this is who he is and that he, and he alone, is responsible for this stuff, not bad advice from others.

I guess I'm at the point where the guy has said the words, 'error in judgment' too g-damn many times and we're better off letting him make those errors in another NFL city.

cousinal11
08-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah I saw it. Sad really.

Like I said in another thread. He's outplayed his contract. They should have extended him when he was found not guilty.

Really Denver's not really doing much but letting him cool off. If they were serious they would suspend him into the season and cost him money.

The FO is in a real bind now. If they suspend him into the season they hurt the team. If they trade him they look weak to the team. They extend him the look weak to the fans. We start losing without him they hurt the fans.

I know, I know "team first" but really, that's great from a fan standpoint but these are people with a short career life. They get paid when they can. He has earned a payday in his last two years. Everyone wants him to just show up and play but, he's done that the last few years and it's gotten him nowhere. These people don't have to be good people to be good players that's just a fact. Even Randy Moss was firing up the J and running over cops before he won a superbowl and became a "team" guy.

As far as Dawkins I don't think your going to hear his teammates bashing him. They all know this has to do with money. They all want to get paid team players or not.

What a crazy crazy offseason. We really need for the season to get started.

How many times has this dirt bag been arrested for beating women? One more time and he may be suspended for a year. All that and he is batting passes, walking through drills, and punting balls he is supposed to give to a coach at practice?

If he came to camp and silently hinted he wanted a new deal and worked hard preparing for the season, this wouldn't be an issue.

Marshall is an idiot.

Rock Chalk
That's kind of my point. Logic would dictate they could suspend him without pay if he continues to be an ass - but the union won't sit idly by and let that happen. Not if teams are making offers (any offers) and he doesn't want to be here.

I'm just skeptical that the team can 'wait him out' if he continues to act petulant.

They can wait him out long enough to pass the trade deadline after which point it wont matter.

footstepsfrom#27
Schefter just pointed out - a pre-season suspension costs Marshall exactly $0 - they only get paid for the regular season.

So - he gets a vacation. Will this change his attitude?
Of course it won't. He's going to get his wish, which is to get out of Denver, and we will probably be shocked at how little we wind up getting for him now. I've supported this guy before now through his contract issues because I think he had a legit argument and even to a limited extent with his off the field legal issues as not being a reason to get rid of him but I can't back this kind of childish behavior. I think McD is right to suspend him but it's not going to do one bit of good if they bring him back for game 1 and pay him. They need to keep him out for regular season games without pay if it's legally possible to do so until such time as he's ready to demonstrate he's going to be a team mate again. The question is...will McD have the stones to sit this guy if this team's floundering on offense? I hope he does or else we're going to see more of this in the future from othe players.

dbfan4life
08-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Coming from puzzy fan who wasn't ever talented enough to play in the NFL and is too chicken sheeeet to have ever put on an NFL uniform. LOL

Not that I'm defendig the guy but you're attacking his fanhood because he never played pro football? Wow! We're all terrible fans then! :rofl:

TonyR
They should have extended him when he was found not guilty.

No. Just no. For many very obvious reasons.

Ambiguous
your happy? you are such a raider fan :thumbsup:

Any Broncos fan that saw how he was acting at practice should be happy.

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 09:23 AM

The crazy thing is ... no matter what or how bad he acts his FA contract or extention will pay him more then he's getting now. So who's really losing in all this ..... we are.

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 09:23 AM

See the BOLD print above.

Rohirrim
08-28-2009, 09:25 AM
He's a punk and a woman beater. The only people standing up for him now should be his agent, his lawyer, and his mom. And he's paying two of those. ;D

jhns
08-28-2009, 09:31 AM
This is the teams fault. They showed that if you cry you get what you want. What exactly did they think was going to happen after that? A disgruntled player to act maturely even while not getting what they want?

You all better get used to this because it will happen a lot more as long as this front office is here.

They are handling this right for now, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that it is their own doing. I am praying that they make a real example of marshall and just not let him play. If they give him what he wants this team is going to have a lot more drama in the future.

Popps
08-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Never, ever assume that any logic is so apparent that Orange Mane posters can't butcher it up.

This is somehow Josh McDaniels' fault.

Unreal.

kamakazi_kal
Popps, I don't blame Mcd for this one. I see both sides the FO and Marshall. Bad situation for the fans, FO and Marshall.

Man this sucks ... wonder what's next?

Cito Pelon
I'm hoping Marshall is sickened by this - and his behavior leading to it - and comes back playing hard.

Old Dude
08-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Is he suspended indefinitely?

Looking at AP, USA Today and ESPN...

One story says it's for the remainder of the preseason.

Two others say that the duration wasn't disclosed.

Pseudofool
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
This is the teams fault. They showed that if you cry you get what you want. So you're saying BMarsh wanted to be suspended? :thumbs:

OABB
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Never, ever assume that any logic is so apparent that Orange Mane posters can't butcher it up.

This is somehow Josh McDaniels' fault.

Unreal.

I wonder what this place would have been like during the Holocaust.

Popcorn Sutton
08-28-2009, 09:37 AM

It's not that simple.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_13147198 (http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_13147198)

A big reason the Broncos are pausing at revisiting Marshall's contract is collective bargaining rules would allow the team to recoup only a small portion of any guarantee through a "morals clause."

Let's use Roddy White as an example, as Marshall probably is. During his trip to Atlanta last week, Marshall spoke with White, the Atlanta Falcons' top receiver who recently received a six-year extension with an $18.6 million guarantee.

White recorded a combined 2,584 yards and 13 touchdowns the past two years while in that same period Marshall had 2,590 yards and 13 touchdowns.

If the Broncos gave Marshall a similar $18.6 million guarantee, they could use the morals clause to recover only $775,000 (25 percent of the prorated bonus in the particular year of his suspension).

Jason in LA
08-28-2009, 09:37 AM
They need to trade him. Get what ever they can. It's like they're trying to win a battle with him so it's not a Jay Cutler situation all over again. Forget this sitting and letting him rot thing just to stick it to him. Get something for him instead of letting him walk away for nothing next offseason.

Pseudofool
08-28-2009, 09:39 AM
I wonder what this place would have been like during the Holocaust.What team are we in this scenario? Actually nevermind.

SoDak Bronco
08-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Jason who is going to give up anything more then a box of donuts for this guy?

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 09:41 AM
This is the teams fault. They showed that if you cry you get what you want. What exactly did they think was going to happen after that? A disgruntled player to act maturely even while not getting what they want?

You all better get used to this because it will happen a lot more as long as this front office is here.

They are handling this right for now, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that it is their own doing. I am praying that they make a real example of marshall and just not let him play. If they give him what he wants this team is going to have a lot more drama in the future.

Ummm...is Marshall getting what he wants? You're just looking to be negative

Rohirrim
08-28-2009, 09:42 AM

We could always call Dan Snyder? ROFL!

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 09:42 AM
They need to trade him. Get what ever they can. It's like they're trying to win a battle with him so it's not a Jay Cutler situation all over again. Forget this sitting and letting him rot thing just to stick it to him. Get something for him instead of letting him walk away for nothing next offseason.

Cant trade him, just cant do it

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 09:43 AM
It's not that simple.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_13147198 (http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_13147198)

ha ha very true but to say White's morals are on par with Marshalls is laughable and even marshall can't argue that one.

Ratboy
08-28-2009, 09:44 AM
ROFL @ Preseason.

Told you McDaniels NEEDS Marshall.

Who cares about the preseason? He'll be there opening day and he'll be owning the Bengals.

Jason in LA
08-28-2009, 09:45 AM
At this point I'd say that they need to get what ever they can for him. They're not going to get what he's worth, but it's better than going through this all season just to see him walk at the end of the year and not get anything. If they're going to get rid of him do it now and get something. Something is better than nothing. And the distraction will be gone.

Que
08-28-2009, 09:46 AM
well, I guess this puts an end to the question of who is going to get more boos this Sunday: Cutler or Marshall

Completely support the coaching staff on this one.

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 09:46 AM

shocking as it may sound his next contract will still pay him more then he's getting now. Some teams care more about wins then morals.

what do you do now?

problem is now if the FO gives him a contract they look weak to the players.
If they let him sit they hurt the team.
If they trade him they look limp to the NFL.
If we start losing without him they hurt the fans.

Seems to be no good awnser to this.

meangene
08-28-2009, 09:47 AM
McDaniels news conference at 1:00. Live on ESPN and I would guess NFLN also.

jhns
08-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Ummm...is Marshall getting what he wants? You're just looking to be negative

Try reading the post you quoted. It would help make the responses seem less retarded.

cousinal11
08-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Looking at AP, USA Today and ESPN...

One story says it's for the remainder of the preseason.

Two others say that the duration wasn't disclosed.

Thanks but I was making a point about what Anquan Boldin said today about Marshall and asking the earlier poster if Boldin was suspended indefinitely? He was claiming Boldin's way of getting a trade/contract doesn't work and inferring Marshall was doing it his way which would get what Marshall wanted.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Try reading the post you quoted. It would help make the reponses seem less retarded.

I love when unintelligent people question my aptitute. I read your post, completely disagreed with it, because you're a ****ing retard who ignores history or the fact that this, oh, i dunno, might be a case by case basis.

cousinal11
At this point I'd say that they need to get what ever they can for him. They're not going to get what he's worth, but it's better than going through this all season just to see him walk at the end of the year and not get anything. If they're going to get rid of him do it now and get something. Something is better than nothing. And the distraction will be gone.

What about next offseason when someone else wants a new contract? The same soap opera will be appearing annually.

kamakazi_kal
Thanks but I was making a point about what Anquan Boldin said today about Marshall and asking the earlier poster if Boldin was suspended indefinitely? He was claiming Boldin's way of getting a trade/contract doesn't work and inferring Marshall was doing it a different way.

Yep Boldin deserves a contract also and has been trying to get one for the last 2 years ......he's handled it like a pro in his defense but what has he gotten? he's gotten a handshake.... maybe.

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 09:51 AM
What about next offseason when someone else wants a new contract? The same soap opera will be appearing annually.

Man, I hope not. I don't know if I can make it through another one of these.

SonOfLe-loLang

There is truth to this, BUT...i will say that even before all of this started, if i could pick two primadonnas on the team it would have been JC and BM. I can't think off the top of my head of another guy that might act like this.

KYChamp24
This guy is retarded.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Yep Boldin deserves a contract also and has been trying to get one for the last 2 years ......he's handled it like a pro in his defense but what has he gotten? he's gotten a handshake.... maybe.

Boldin wasnt in his rookie contract though...didnt he get a fairly big deal and now wants another? I could be wrong about that.

jhns
08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
I love when unintelligent people question my aptitute. I read your post, completely disagreed with it, because you're a ****ing retard who ignores history or the fact that this, oh, i dunno, might be a case by case basis.

1. I never once said marshall is getting what he wants.

2. I said I think the team is handling this situation correctly.

You post was a response generated from a lack of reading. Otherwise you really are dumb and in that case I will just say sorry.

DenverBrit
08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm hoping Marshall is sickened by this - and his behavior leading to it - and comes back playing hard.

That's my hope too.

He really doesn't have a good plan B.

He's made sure his trade value has dropped even further and the Broncos don't seem to be interested in trading him anyway.

Maybe, just maybe BM's lights will go on and he'll realize that his career depends upon him having a strong, trouble free season in Denver if he wants a big payday.

But even then, a lot of teams will wonder what his behavior will be after he gets a big payday.

He's made an indelible impression.......and it's got 'High Risk' stamped all over it.

Cito Pelon
08-28-2009, 09:54 AM

By the way, players don't get paid in the preseason. So unless they are going to fine him as well, he won't lose any money as long as he's back by 9/13.

The players get a stipend for preseason games.

cousinal11
08-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Boldin will definitely get paid. Marshall on the other hand is losing dollars by the second.

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 09:55 AM
There is truth to this, BUT...i will say that even before all of this started, if i could pick two primadonnas on the team it would have been JC and BM. I can't think off the top of my head of another guy that might act like this.

Hilarious! that's cause we don't have many other star type players left.

The FO better rework Clady and Royal after this season ..... What will happen to this place if those two go through this?

**** cmon Bengals we need someone not on our team to bash. :wave:

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 09:56 AM

You post was a response generated from a lack of reading. Otherwise you really are dumb and in that case I will just say sorry.

1) Did you even read your own post?

2) You're claiming that Marshall's behavior is a result of how the team handled the Cutler situation which is baseless and speculative. Might it be? MAYBE, but there's nothing to outright suggest it is, and you are claiming this as fact.

In fact, you could take the Casey Wiegmann situation as an example of the "right way" of doing things. Marshall is a child and would probably have had this tantrum regardless.

Inkana7
08-28-2009, 09:57 AM
This guy is retarded.

Hilarious!

Garcia Bronco

Do they move him?

They can have him removed from the premises and not pay him if he's disruptive. The CBA does not overrule any Colorado law.

Beantown Bronco
The FO better rework Clady and Royal after this season ..... What will happen to this place if those two go through this?

Kuper is in the last year of his contract and he's only getting paid about $1 million this year. Look out!

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Hilarious! that's cause we don't have many other star type players left.

**** cmon Bengals we need someone not on our team to bash. :wave:

Maybe, but Clady and Royal just don't seem to have this in them. They are both very quiet people who seem to go about their business. They both just seem grounded.

dbfan4life
08-28-2009, 09:58 AM
McDaniels news conference at 1:00. Live on ESPN and I would guess NFLN also.

1:00 Mountain? I might be able to catch this during lunch break if so.

Jason in LA
08-28-2009, 09:59 AM

So it's better to sit him and get nothing just to prove a point? That's just being stubborn and it hurts the team. Get something for him.

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Boldin will definitely get paid. Marshall on the other hand is losing dollars by the second.

If people will risk Owens .... people will risk marshall. The guy is a top 5 talent at a top flight position. Teams take chances on players of questionable morals all the time.

He'll get paid .... He'll get all kinds of clauses in his contract.... He'll still get more then he's being paid now .... and he'll get it on another team.

It may not be right but teams want to win and take chances to make it happen. He will improve any team on the field.

Punisher
08-28-2009, 10:00 AM
This Off season
http://eurthisnthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/energizer_bunny2008-med.jpg

BMarsh615
08-28-2009, 10:01 AM
WWPD

They'd suspend him, too.

Yep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/16/sports/pro-football-glenn-suspended-by-patriots.html

Popps
If people will risk Owens .... people will risk marshall. The guy is a top 5 talent at a top flight position. Teams take chances on players of questionable morals all the time.

He'll get paid .... He'll get all kinds of clauses in his contract.... He'll still get more then he's being paid now .... and he'll get it on another team.

Good.

Ask those teams who have paid Owens how that worked out for them.

Beantown Bronco
So it's better to sit him and get nothing just to prove a point? That's just being stubborn and it hurts the team. Get something for him.

What is the least amount of compensation you'd accept?

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 10:02 AM

You can't let the inmates run the asylum and set a precedent that this kind of behavior reeps reward. And maybe im just an optimist in life, but i do think any problem can be rectified...and i'd prefer to find common ground with Brandon and move on. I don't want to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

Tombstone RJ
08-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know if this suspension is with pay or without pay?

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 10:03 AM

You dont get paid for the preseason, so with. (maybe he misses out on a stipend?)

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Maybe, but Clady and Royal just don't seem to have this in them. They are both very quiet people who seem to go about their business. They both just seem grounded.

I know they seem to be the class of the team but,

Royals playing on second round contract and Clady a first round contract.

when lots of money is involved people can change.

Wonder what their making compared to marshall ... salary and signing bonuses taken into account.

DenverBrit

Without pay. I'm not sure players can be sent home with pay anymore.

rastaman

Oh Bull****! The Broncos had other options, such as pay Brandon his bonuses for Services Rendered from 07 & 08! Brandon's estimated bonuses would have been 5 million for the last two years. You add that on to his current salary of 2.2 million, he would have earned 7.2 million in 2009! Thats the deal Bowlen could have made with Marshall especially after his court acquittal. But no!

Bowlen decided to show who was BOSS! and Little Napoleon McDaniel messed in his pants with the opportunity to play the Bowlen-Who's Boss Card against Brandon b/c deep down McD is an AZZ HOLE!

Brandon needs to meet with the Player's Union and file for a Mentally Unable to Perform due to the promises and lies Bowlen and McDaniel's have put him through. While he's at it, Brandon should also file malpractice suit against the Bronco's medical staff for mis-diagnosing his hip injury in 08, thus allowing Marshall to play the season on an injured HIP!

Oh well......Denver is truly the bastion organization of where future players and FA will be knocking down the door to play for Bowlen and McDaniel's.

Garcia Bronco

It is without pay, but there is no pay according to one poster because it's preseason.

Beantown Bronco

There is no "pay" in the preseason.

Garcia Bronco
Oh Bull****! The Broncos had other options, such as pay Brandon his bonuses for Services Rendered from 07 & 08! Brandon's estimated bonuses would have been 5 million for the last two years. You add that on to his current salary of 2.2 million, he would have earned 7.2 million in 2009! Thats the deal Bowlen could have made with Marshall especially after his court acquittal. But no!

Bowlen decided to show who was BOSS! and Little Napoleon McDaniel messed in his pants with the opportunity to play the Bowlen-Who's Boss Card against Brandon b/c deep down McD is an AZZ HOLE!

Brandon needs to meet with the Player's Union and file for a Mentally Unable to Perform due to the promises and lies Bowlen and McDaniel's have put him through. While he's at it, Brandon should also file malpractice suit against the Bronco's medical staff for mis-diagnosing his hip injury in 08, thus allowing Marshall to play the season on an injured HIP!

Oh well......Denver is truly the bastion organization of where future players and FA will be knocking down the door to play for Bowlen and McDaniel's.

LOL. You post the most ridiculous BS. Bowlen said the would TRY to trade him, but they can't...because of MArshalls own actions.

Pseudofool
08-28-2009, 10:05 AM

Obviously you have some trouble reading your own posts. I'll bold the important parts.

They are handling this right for now, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that it is their own doing. I am praying that they make a real example of marshall and just not let him play. If they give him what he wants this team is going to have a lot more drama in the future.Actually your original post is incoherent or you just like to speak out of both sides of your mouth. The team can't both handle the situation correctly and be at fault in how they are handling the situation.

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Good.

Hey relax ... I'm not saying it's right or good ... I'm just saying.
Brandon ****ed up but, I can see his side of it.

Tombstone RJ
08-28-2009, 10:06 AM
There is no "pay" in the preseason.

I see, did not know that. They can fine a player for not showing up but they can't suspend him with a fine.

Not sure why they Broncos can't fine him for his conduct.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 10:06 AM

I still dont understand when this became a McD/Brandon issue. Its a bowlen/Brandon issue and i strongly STRONGLY feel Bowlen just doesnt have the money to pay him. I would have negotiated (or started to) in good faith after he was exonerated from his charges, but they didnt.

cousinal11
08-28-2009, 10:07 AM

It may not be right but teams want to win and take chances to make it happen. He will improve any team on the field.

He will also get arrested again, and will get suspended.

ghwk
08-28-2009, 10:07 AM

yeah that was a totally stupid comment.

Garcia Bronco
08-28-2009, 10:08 AM
I still dont understand when this became a McD/Brandon issue. Its a bowlen/Brandon issue and i strongly STRONGLY feel Bowlen just doesnt have the money to pay him. I would have negotiated (or started to) in good faith after he was exonerated from his charges, but they didnt.

He's yet to demostrate any reason why he should get paid anything more than what he's already agreed to.

Pseudofool
08-28-2009, 10:08 AM
LOL. You post the most ridiculous BS.I know. wtf was that gibberish?

jhns
08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
1) Did you even read your own post?

2) You're claiming that Marshall's behavior is a result of how the team handled the Cutler situation which is baseless and speculative. Might it be? MAYBE, but there's nothing to outright suggest it is, and you are claiming this as fact.

In fact, you could take the Casey Wiegmann situation as an example of the "right way" of doing things. Marshall is a child and would probably have had this tantrum regardless.

Casey said pay him or he isn't playing. Marshall has probably said something like that as well.

You can think what you want. This team showed that cryong gets you what you want. Do you think that helps show players like marshall that they need to do things the "right" way? What a joke.

TonyR
Maybe, but Clady and Royal just don't seem to have this in them.

Why do people try to relate this situation to Clady or Royal? The team will go out of it's way to pay guys like them because they're both good players and they don't beat women and get DUI's off the field. That's why Marshall isn't getting paid right now. He made his bed off the field, now he has to sleep in it. Simple.

SonOfLe-loLang
He's yet to demostrate any reason why he should get paid anything more than what he's already agreed to.

Attitude wise (lately), i completely agree with you. But he did severly outplay his current contract with his past two seasons, so there's one reason. Its a sticky situation, for sure, i was just saying how I would have personally handled it. Doesn't mean i was making the right decision.

cousinal11

This statement would be false if he wasn't an idiot and had not already been suspended and possibly facing another suspension with his next arrest.

SlipperyPete
08-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Nobody should be patting the team on the back just yet.

For one thing, it's a little curious that this suspension wasn't announced until after that video of Marshall surfaced. They knew what he did at practice on Wednesday. If they felt his actions were that egregious, why not suspend him yesterday morning instead of today? Then the video could have come out and been the perfect illustration as to why they did what they did.

Instead, they didn't act until after the video came out and everyone had a good laugh over it. Which makes this seem like a PR move just as much as a diciplinary move. It's as if they're saying "See, look, we're tough! We swear!" Acting like they didn't know just how bad Marshall acted up is icing on the cake.

But comparitively speaking, that issue is small potatoes.

If this is merely a preseason suspension, it's undeniable proof that Josh McDaniels had his balls removed. You cannot possibly look more impotent than to "send a guy a message" by suspending him for games that don't mean anything only to bring him right back once wins and losses count.

Comparing this to the Pats suspending Terry Glenn is, at this point, downright laughable. The Pats suspended Glenn to start the season. Then they suspended him again during the sesaon. Then they sent him home for the postseason where they won their first Super Bowl. THAT was teaching someone a lesson.

I hope to God that Schefter is wrong about preseason. Not only won't Marshall learn anything from it, it's like a flashing sign that if you have any value to the team, you can get away with this kind of stuff without a meaningful punishment.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Casey said pay him or he isn't playing. Marshall has probably said something like that as well.

You can think what you want. This team showed that cryong gets you what you want. Do you think that helps show players like marshall that they need to do things the "right" way? What a joke.

I hate when people act like they have inside knowledge to a situation when they don't, yet spew it as fact anyway. Show me a transcript of the Casey Wiegmann meetings and then we'll talk. Until then, you're comments are baseless.

Garcia Bronco
This statement would be false if he wasn't an idiot and had not already been suspended and possibly facing another suspension with his next arrest.

Exactly.

TonyR
This team showed that cryong gets you what you want. Do you think that helps show players like marshall that they need to do things the "right" way?

Yes, because Wiegmann did things "the right way". And he doesn't beat women in his spare time. How is Marshall getting what he wants, exactly?

tsiguy96
marshall, pre draft:

Negatives: Lacks maturity, demonstrating a Terrell Owens prima donna attitude...Has one off-field issue that needs further review...Lacks good work ethic and struggles with authority, as he does not take well to hard coaching

i guess shanny really did pamper these guys. im glad mcdaniels came in and cleaned house. on a pats forum, they are talking about this and its amazing the perspective pats have on football. team first, no individual players. they all almost universally praise mcdaniels for what he came here and did, and they almost all agree the team is better off for it. but what do the patriots know, they never win...

SonOfLe-loLang
Why do people try to relate this situation to Clady or Royal? The team will go out of it's way to pay guys like them because they're both good players and they don't beat women and get DUI's off the field. That's why Marshall isn't getting paid right now. He made his bed off the field, now he has to sleep in it. Simple.

I was just responding to someone else's post. I agree...cept i think the real reason he's not paying marshall is because he doesnt have the money.

Beantown Bronco
08-28-2009, 10:13 AM

So what do you think is the reasoning behind Kuper not being "shown the money" yet? Model citizen on and off the field by all accounts.....doing all the right things.....going into the last year of his contract at a "measley" $1 mil. He should've been taken care of by now IMO.

BroncoBuff
08-28-2009, 10:13 AM
After that video, this is the right move. Punting that ball was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Beantown Bronco
08-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes, because Wiegmann did things "the right way".

Not entirely true. It wasn't until he called out the FO and made a not-so-veiled threat to boycott training camp that he got his money.

jhns
08-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Obviously you have some trouble reading your own posts. I'll bold the important parts.

Actually your original post is incoherent or you just like to speak out of both sides of your mouth. The team can't both handle the situation correctly and be at fault in how they are handling the situation.

The first line you bolded is obviously not talking about the situation that is still happening. Wtf? Are you really this dumb? They showed in the cutler situation that crying gets you what you want. Is that better?

SoDak Bronco
08-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Brandon Marshall's suspension lasts through Sept. 6. He's eligible to return to Broncos Sept. 7. He got off easy here.3 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/3605465656) from UberTwitter (http://ubertwitter.com/)

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
The first line you bolded is obviously not talking about the situation that is still happening. Wtf? Are you really this dumb? They showed in the cutler situation that crying gets you what you want. Is that better?

You have an intelligence inferiority complex, don't you?

jhns
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
I hate when people act like they have inside knowledge to a situation when they don't, yet spew it as fact anyway. Show me a transcript of the Casey Wiegmann meetings and then we'll talk. Until then, you're comments are baseless.

Sorry, it was widely reported by his agenrt that he was going to retire if he wasn't payed more. If you don't follow the offseason, that is your fault.

Tombstone RJ
08-28-2009, 10:19 AM
It is without pay, but there is no pay according to one poster because it's preseason.

They should say "suspended without a fine" or something like that...

jhns
08-28-2009, 10:19 AM
You have an intelligence inferiority complex, don't you?

This forum has a lot of people that lack intelligence is more like it.

BroncoBuff
08-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Brandon Marshall's suspension lasts through Sept. 6. He's eligible to return to Broncos Sept. 7. He got off easy here.3 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/3605465656) from UberTwitter (http://ubertwitter.com/)

He got off easy cause he's a world-class talent. How far would Brandon Llotd have gone after something like that?

CHAD JACKSON .... COME ON DOWN!

Rashomon
08-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Good.

Ask NE how it worked to get Randy Moss for them. Owens has never tanked it on the field, like Moss did in Oakland. Marshall is closer to Moss with his insubordination, and that is probably what his value on the trade market it right now: a fourth rounder.

BroncoBuff
08-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Chad Jackson should buy Brandon lunch and get in his ear, "you gonna let 'em do you like that dog?" :~ohyah!:

Garcia Bronco
08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Chad Jackson should buy Brandon lunch and get in his ear, "you gonna let 'em do you like that dog?" :~ohyah!:

If he was in front of me it's exactly what I would do.

jhns
08-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes, because Wiegmann did things "the right way". And he doesn't beat women in his spare time. How is Marshall getting what he wants, exactly?

I'm pretty sure I used past tense which would indicate a previous situation. As in, when cutler cried he got what he wanted. Now another baby is trying to do the same thing.

El Guapo
08-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Without pay, right?

I can't believe this guy... He is submarining future contracts with ANY team.

Traveler
08-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Nobody should be patting the team on the back just yet.

For one thing, it's a little curious that this suspension wasn't announced until after that video of Marshall surfaced. They knew what he did at practice on Wednesday. If they felt his actions were that egregious, why not suspend him yesterday morning instead of today? Then the video could have come out and been the perfect illustration as to why they did what they did.

Instead, they didn't act until after the video came out and everyone had a good laugh over it. Which makes this seem like a PR move just as much as a diciplinary move. It's as if they're saying "See, look, we're tough! We swear!" Acting like they didn't know just how bad Marshall acted up is icing on the cake.

But comparitively speaking, that issue is small potatoes.

If this is merely a preseason suspension, it's undeniable proof that Josh McDaniels had his balls removed. You cannot possibly look more impotent than to "send a guy a message" by suspending him for games that don't mean anything only to bring him right back once wins and losses count.

Comparing this to the Pats suspending Terry Glenn is, at this point, downright laughable. The Pats suspended Glenn to start the season. Then they suspended him again during the sesaon. Then they sent him home for the postseason where they won their first Super Bowl. THAT was teaching someone a lesson.

I hope to God that Schefter is wrong about preseason. Not only won't Marshall learn anything from it, it's like a flashing sign that if you have any value to the team, you can get away with this kind of stuff without a meaningful punishment.

After listening to Legwold on Lombardi's website, Legwold stated (paraphrasing) he talked with several GM's about Marshall actions. They all agreed that if the Broncos kept notes of all his words and actions, they have more than enough evidence to justify the suspension. And in doing so, they probably have been contemplating this for some time.

This was and is not about looking tough. They were smart enough to let Marshall hang himself. I think just suspending him for the remainder of the preseason is showing retraint on their part. The next step being to actually hit him where it hurts by taking money if he continues with the same antics..

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Sorry, it was widely reported by his agenrt that he was going to retire if he wasn't payed more. If you don't follow the offseason, that is your fault.

He won't retire ... empty threat.

jhns
08-28-2009, 10:29 AM
He won't retire ... empty threat.

I was talking about casey and he got paid so it isn't a problem now.

ghwk
08-28-2009, 10:34 AM
When does the Off season Pain Stop.......

Next offseason when we draft a new QB :rofl:

El Guapo
08-28-2009, 10:44 AM
In similar news to what was mentioned above, a Broncos scout has been at my colleges practices for two weeks now. He's been looking at our QB who is a junior. (who really is a diamond in the rough. Trevor Vittatoe, look him up. :) )

ghwk
08-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Attitude wise (lately), i completely agree with you. But he did severly outplay his current contract with his past two seasons, so there's one reason. Its a sticky situation, for sure, i was just saying how I would have personally handled it. Doesn't mean i was making the right decision.

How do you "outplay" a contract? A contract is simply that a contract. If you can outplay a contract then there really never was a contract in the first place. I think all you can say is he has played way above expectation. He has also behaved way BELOW expectation both on and of the field.

He put the team in a bind, I can easily see the team wanting to redo his contract but he had so many off field issues that it was both risky and send a bad message that character doesn't matter. He probably also wants guaranteed upfront money, who can blame him but if you were his employer would you write that check?

I now think we can get about Divid Kirkus level talent in a trade.

He is like TO, he will be good for one year on any team, after that his destructive cycle will just start all over again because he always needs to feel needed and special, once a team has handed you the dough they expect you to man up and hand holding time is over.

DarkHorse
08-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Glad to see this - talented or not this guy is a cancer. I haven't missed him one bit during the pre-season. Win or lose i'll remain a fan, I just cannot handle having an ignorant flavor clown on the team.

Hotrod
08-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Were ****ed

/thread

Bronco Boy
08-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Were ****ed

/thread

Because we were looking so great before today...

Dr. Broncenstein
08-28-2009, 11:04 AM
We can't trade the guy for equal talent, because that doesn't exist outside of
Boldin. Nobody is going to give up a 1 and 3, which his potential value next year at the highest tender RFA. I hope to god the front office doesn't try to salvage some sort of lowball trade just to get rid of him either.

I'd like to see this organization put the screws to Brandon Marshall. Suspend him and fine him for conduct detrimental the moment he gets out of line. Put the highest tender on him next year and keep him in line with suspensions. Then franchise him the following year and suspend him as needed. Run his retarded ass into the ground if he does anything but play football at a productive level. **** this guy and his appologists if they don't like it.

HEAV
Brandon has made himself a bad guy. His off-field actions have proven he has anger & maturity issues and now it has spread to on the field/practice actions. Some want to lay all blame on McDaniels, while some (like myself) lay some blame on shanny... But lets not forget that Brandon had a choice in his actions.

There are examples of players that have done it correctly and the few that have gone the prima dona route. Marshall chose the side that he wanted and is now going to have to deal with the response to his actions.

Very talented player, but a mental case with a long history of actions that aren't considered safe or even legal.

He's lied about hitting the women, he's lied about the arm injury, he (along with his cousin) have been linked as antagonizers in the Darrent Williams shooting, the calls to his home for domestic disputes, his DUI arrest...

Enough is enough. We all have choices to make in our life. Good or bad it comes down to the individual and his/her choice.

Brandon has made many,many beds and he is the one that has to lay in those beds. He's the only one to blame for his choices.

Can he change? Yes many players have gotten their stuff together. Is Brandon going to change? I just don't know. He need serious mental help and guidance in his life.

As far as football and Broncos football. I'm not sure I want to see him playing in a Broncos uniform.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
is anyone still upset that his dumb ass was running with the scout team?

rastaman
08-28-2009, 11:08 AM
LOL. You post the most ridiculous BS. Bowlen said the would TRY to trade him, but they can't...because of MArshalls own actions.

You think in such a narrow minded sphere! Common sense should tell you it takes two to tangle. But I digress. Bowlen can't trade Bmarsh with the ridiculous demands of a 1st and 3rd or 4th and yet at the same time not offer Bmarsh a 5 million bonus for services rendered in 07 & 08. Bowlen can't have his "Cake and Eat It To". Anyone here that doesn't think Brandon would not be a happy camper had his 09 salary been 7.2 million....hasn't been paying attention. Also, Bowlen, McDaniel's and key personnel in the FO should have congratulated Bmarsh on his acquittal and immediately had the 5 million bonus contract ready to be signed! Thats how you avoid the situation you now find yourself in right now.

Now, Denver has no other choice but to trade Brandon at the best deal possible b/c there is no going back! Both Denver and Brandon have already "drawn a line in the sand" and for all practical reasons have "Burned" their Bridges. No way does the Players Union and Goddell allow to happen what the Brandon Marshall haters are wishing for and thats to conspire to Kill Marshall's career out of hate and animosity.

It ain't happening. Either this year or next year, Brandon will be playing in new NFL city. Bowlen will be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for Brandon now b/c instead of using a carrot and stick approach....both Bowlen-McDaniel's chose to use the sledge hammer I'm the Owner-Boss approach or My Way or The Highway!

Hotrod
08-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Because we were looking so great before today...

Good point

DBroncos4life
08-28-2009, 11:11 AM
While I agree on the move something needed to be done. I'm shocked that this many people are thrilled that whatever trade value we had for him is all but gone now. We can't move him now and it looks like we won't have him during the season without a major attitude adjustment so we really just lose a productive player and get nothing in return. Not only that we still get to keep him and deal with this next year.

errand
08-28-2009, 11:11 AM
How long?

Doesn't matter...in my opinion it wouldn't be long enough. Get rid of this clown now.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Doesn't matter...in my opinion it wouldn't be long enough. Get rid of this clown now.

This is what he wants. Why in the world would you reward his behavior? Hold his feet to the fire... make him STFU and GBTW at his cheap rate, or suspend him. Win / win either way, and this doucher gets exactly what he deserves.

cutthemdown
08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Boldin. Nobody is going to give up a 1 and 3, which his potential value next year at the highest tender RFA. I hope to god the front office doesn't try to salvage some sort of lowball trade just to get rid of him either.

I'd like to see this organization put the screws to Brandon Marshall. Suspend him and fine him for conduct detrimental the moment he gets out of line. Put the highest tender on him next year and keep him in line with suspensions. Then franchise him the following year and suspend him as needed. Run his retarded ass into the ground if he does anything but play football at a productive level. **** this guy and his appologists if they don't like it.

Maybe we could trade him for say a 3rd round pick. But then maybe we could make it something like if he plays well for new team, gets a new contract, etc etc, we get a first round pick the following yr? Some sort of condition on it.

Who knows Marshall is an idiot. This is no way to make money in NFL. He is going about it all wrong. He's young and in the last yr of deal. He is close to getting paid no doubt about it. All he had to do was maybe 70-80 balls and 1000 yrds and he would have been able to get a huge deal as a RFA.

MOCRUSH
08-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Next offseason when we draft a new QB :rofl:

With the 32nd pick.:hitself:

errand
08-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Please enlighten us about your NFL career highlights....

Dr. Broncenstein
08-28-2009, 11:20 AM
You think in such a narrow minded sphere! Common sense should tell you it takes two to tangle.

:rofl:

Honestly, you must sit around and try to come up with this stuff. I couldn't even read the rest of your post... but I'm sure it was epic tard as usual.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-28-2009, 11:22 AM
How do you "outplay" a contract? A contract is simply that a contract. If you can outplay a contract then there really never was a contract in the first place. I think all you can say is he has played way above expectation. He has also behaved way BELOW expectation both on and of the field.

He put the team in a bind, I can easily see the team wanting to redo his contract but he had so many off field issues that it was both risky and send a bad message that character doesn't matter. He probably also wants guaranteed upfront money, who can blame him but if you were his employer would you write that check?

I now think we can get about Divid Kirkus level talent in a trade.

He is like TO, he will be good for one year on any team, after that his destructive cycle will just start all over again because he always needs to feel needed and special, once a team has handed you the dough they expect you to man up and hand holding time is over.

You can easily outplay your contract, in fact the NFL has a system in place that protects players by giving them bonuses for playing time (not sure what that program is called). If people with his statistics are earning a certain amount of money (and its a lot more than he's making), it suggests brandon (JUST BASED ON HIS PLAY ON THE FIELD) has outplayed his rookie contract.

rastaman
08-28-2009, 11:27 AM
After listening to Legwold on Lombardi's website, Legwold stated (paraphrasing) he talked with several GM's about Marshall actions. They all agreed that if the Broncos kept notes of all his words and actions, they have more than enough evidence to justify the suspension. And in doing so, they probably have been contemplating this for some time.

This was and is not about looking tough. They were smart enough to let Marshall hang himself. I think just suspending him for the remainder of the preseason is showing retraint on their part. The next step being to actually hit him where it hurts by taking money if he continues with the same antics..

So now its time for Brandon and his agent to go onto plan B. Marshall must now return after his suspension and play out the string. Not so much as to give into Bowlen-McDaniel's demands per say, but now just to play and behave well enough not to forefiture his pay.

Marshall doesn't need to return and play at his 07 & 08 levels! He just needs to play as a 4th round draft pick b/c thats how the Broncos are playing him in the first place!!! At this stage, Brandon doesn't need to play for a bigger pay in Denver as much as he needs to play just well enough to GET OUT OF DENVER. His career is over in Denver and the bridges are burned and its time for both Denver and Brandon to move on.

ScottXray
08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
You think in such a narrow minded sphere! Common sense should tell you it takes two to tangle. But I digress. Bowlen can't trade Bmarsh with the ridiculous demands of a 1st and 3rd or 4th and yet at the same time not offer Bmarsh a 5 million bonus for services rendered in 07 & 08. Bowlen can't have his "Cake and Eat It To". Anyone here that doesn't think Brandon would not be a happy camper had his 09 salary been 7.2 million....hasn't been paying attention. Also, Bowlen, McDaniel's and key personnel in the FO should have congratulated Bmarsh on his acquittal and immediately had the 5 million bonus contract ready to be signed! Thats how you avoid the situation you now find yourself in right now.

Now, Denver has no other choice but to trade Brandon at the best deal possible b/c there is no going back! Both Denver and Brandon have already "drawn a line in the sand" and for all practical reasons have "Burned" their Bridges. No way does the Players Union and Goddell allow to happen what the Brandon Marshall haters are wishing for and thats to conspire to Kill Marshall's career out of hate and animosity.

It ain't happening. Either this year or next year, Brandon will be playing in new NFL city. Bowlen will be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for Brandon now b/c instead of using a carrot and stick approach....both Bowlen-McDaniel's chose to use the sledge hammer I'm the Owner-Boss approach or My Way or The Highway!

Rasta, nice to see you adopted my 5 Million bonus idea...

However, how do you know they didn't make some kind of offer? Reading minds again?

It's likely that the team may have considered some kind of idea like that, and its also likely that BM and his agent demanded a new contract wholly, along with bonus money and upfront costs. There are press reports that say that a new contract was asked for, and then a trade demanded.
Making DEMANDS is an example of it NOT taking two to tangle, rather an example that ONE can screw up any interaction if he so desires.

Brandon is the one that has screwed up the negotiations by refusing to negotiate. It's all about him. Everything he does is "ME, ME, ME!"

No one here knows WHAT actually transpired, but it is obvious that BM has been dogging it in camp and practice.

Actions speak much louder than words.

Yes , the Broncos can't RUIN his carreer. Only HE can do that, and he is so GOOD at it.

The situation can be salvaged...but only if Brandon realises that he is his own worst enemy right now.

rastaman
08-28-2009, 11:29 AM
:rofl:

Honestly, you must sit around and try to come up with this stuff. I couldn't even read the rest of your post... but I'm sure it was epic tard as usual.

Well "Dumb Billy" we agree to disagree. :sunshine:

Dr. Broncenstein
08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Well "Dumb Billy" we agree to disagree. :sunshine:

"It takes two to tango" you ****ing moron. It's probably the second or third most common cliche in the entire english language.

sisterhellfyre
08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
He's a punk and a woman beater. The only people standing up for him now should be his agent, his lawyer, and his mom. And he's paying two of those. ;D

Like my mom once told me, a long time ago: you may be taller and bigger than me, but that's what baseball bats are for.

cutthemdown
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
We can't ruin his career. All we can do is fine him and make him really poor.

Then next yr he will be a RFA. If we tender him at the highest level wouldn't any team that signs him owe us a 1st round pick?

rastaman
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Rasta, nice to see you adopted my 5 Million bonus idea...

However, how do you know they didn't make some kind of offer? Reading minds again?

It's likely that the team may have considered some kind of idea like that, and its also likely that BM and his agent demanded a new contract wholly, along with bonus money and upfront costs. There are press reports that say that a new contract was asked for, and then a trade demanded.
Making DEMANDS is an example of it NOT taking two to tangle, rather an example that ONE can screw up any interaction if he so desires.

Brandon is the one that has screwed up the negotiations by refusing to negotiate. It's all about him. Everything he does is "ME, ME, ME!"

No one here knows WHAT actually transpired, but it is obvious that BM has been dogging it in camp and practice.

Actions speak much louder than words.

Yes , the Broncos can't RUIN his carreer. Only HE can do that, and he is so GOOD at it.

The situation can be salvaged...but only if Brandon realises that he is his own worst enemy right now.

Scott, point well taken. We don't know what type of contract extention Bowlen could have possible offered Marshall, as well as no one knows what type of deal Marshall and his agent wanted vs what was turned down from the Broncos. Its rumored Brandon wanted "Roddy White" the Falcon WR type of contract.

But my point is, had Bowlen allowed to be leaked that although the Broncos and Brandon have not aggreed to a new contact or extention, the Broncos are going to pay Brandon a services rendered bonus to cover the 07 & 08 seasons. And also, new contract discussion for Marshall are on going. Would that have made Marshall happy---who knows. But at least the Bronco organization for PR purposes would be seen as meeting Marshall halfway.

HAT
08-28-2009, 11:52 AM

Best post I've read on the 'Mane in a Long time....

ScottXray
08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Scott, point well taken. We don't know what type of contract extention Bowlen could have possible offered Marshall, as well as no one knows what type of deal Marshall and his agent wanted vs what was turned down from the Broncos. Its rumored Brandon wanted "Roddy White" the Falcon WR type of contract.

But my point is, had Bowlen allowed to be leaked that although the Broncos and Brandon have not aggreed to a new contact or extention, the Broncos are going to pay Brandon a services rendered bonus to cover the 07 & 08 seasons. And also, new contract discussion for Marshall are on going. Would that have made Marshall happy---who knows. But at least the Bronco organization for PR purposes would be seen as meeting Marshall halfway.

Agreed that the Broncos COULD have won some points by revealing contract negotiations to the press. I guess they thought that that type of transaction is a private affair, and they don't have a history of negotiating in the press , unlike something the player is trying to do.

But your point is taken. The management must learn that there are points to be made by strategic press "leaking". Unfortunately, that is a VERY slippery slope.

hades
08-28-2009, 12:01 PM
"It takes two to tango" you ****ing moron. It's probably the second or third most common cliche in the entire english language.

It certainly belongs after fo shizzle

lazarus4444
08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Can somebody tell me the meaning of "Flavor Clown"? I looked it up in google and it's only used on chiefs planet and here...(which i thought was amusing)

400HZ
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Doesn't Marshall already own three houses? Denver, Miami, and Atlanta? I think I read that here somewhere. Well how long is that dumb**** going to stay out of bankruptcy if the game checks aren't coming? A sad fact of life for many if not most professional athletes is that they live paycheck to paycheck. I'd bet anything that Marshall falls into that category, anyways. How long would it take for financial reasons to force him back to the Broncos? And how fitting would it be if they figured out a way to deny him pay beyond that point? Chances are that he has at least one more arrest in him coming up soon.

TailgateNut
08-28-2009, 12:13 PM

Should we have set out a hammock for the douchebag to rest in as the remainder of the team prepares for the season.

Damn, some peoples kids are just plain ****ing stupid.

Bronco LB52
08-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Can somebody tell me the meaning of "Flavor Clown"? I looked it up in google and it's only used on chiefs planet and here...(which i thought was amusing)

Hogan and some of the lame white people on this board use that term as a euphemism for the N-word. Simple as that.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Hogan and some of the lame white people on this board use that term as a euphemism for the N-word. Simple as that.

Whoa! What?

Victor
08-28-2009, 12:26 PM

Wrong.

http://www.realfreewebsites.com/blog/img/fail2.jpg

scorpio
08-28-2009, 12:28 PM

http://imgur.com/Djq2X.gif

Garcia Bronco
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
http://imgur.com/djq2x.gif

lol

kamakazi_kal
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Should we have set out a hammock for the douchebag to rest in as the remainder of the team prepares for the season.

Damn, some peoples kids are just plain ****ing stupid.

hey.... I agree with you dic^.

Marshall's acting like a jackass but even McD wants to win hence no regular season suspensions that would cost him money.

BroncoMan4ever
08-28-2009, 12:43 PM

his current girl had better take a vacation. he is likely to go MMA on a chick.

Gort
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM

isn't it flava clown, after flava flav?

Garcia Bronco
08-28-2009, 12:46 PM

It is.

Tombstone RJ
08-28-2009, 12:50 PM

It's hip-hop lingo and yah I think flava clown is a play on words with Fab Flava Flav of Run DMC... I could be wrong about that.

rastaman
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Then next yr he will be a RFA. If we tender him at the highest level wouldn't any team that signs him owe us a 1st round pick?

How much would Denver be required to pay Marshall next season as a RFA?

broncswin
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Per espn...:welcome: to the game Mr. Marshall

dbfan4life
08-28-2009, 12:57 PM
We needed a new thread on this why?

TheReverend
08-28-2009, 01:00 PM

We can't really ruin his career if we start tagging him, paying 10-15 million a year, just to suspend him...

TheReverend
08-28-2009, 01:03 PM

That's the second highest. Highest is first and a third.

TheReverend
08-28-2009, 01:05 PM

LOL, Pre-season suspension!??!?!

WTF?

DomCasual
08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Seriously, sometimes you get a duplicate thread and can sort of see how it happened.

Then, there are threads like this one.hmmm...

Beantown Bronco
08-28-2009, 01:09 PM
C'mon guys.

I can see how the other thread title "Marshall Suspended" might be misleading.

Rohirrim
08-28-2009, 01:10 PM

That deserves not only a WTF? but a :twitch: , a :saywhat:, and a :chairhit: as well.

Beantown Bronco
08-28-2009, 01:11 PM
How much would Denver be required to pay Marshall next season as a RFA?

Around $2.7 mil.

TheReverend
08-28-2009, 01:12 PM
C'mon guys.

I can see how the other thread title "Marshall Suspended" might be misleading.

Absolutely. We wouldn't want anyone to think we were actually taking him off the field for a real bonafide NFL game. I don't even think he loses money for a PS suspension... I have to check.

ScottXray
08-28-2009, 01:14 PM

WTF?

It's a message to Brandon. We can suspend you idiot....and you lose your pay. Shot across the bow....because they really don't get paid for pre-season, it won't hurt him financially ...yet.

Straighten up and fly right or we will hit you where it hurts...your pocketbook.

Jason in LA
08-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Oh no, not another Marshall gets suspended thread. Yikes!

TheReverend
08-28-2009, 01:16 PM
May be a repost

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/28/cba-not-completely-clear-on-preseason-suspensions-and-fine/

Because we pointed out earlier today that the Denver Broncos can't send receiver Brandon Marshall home with pay (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/28/broncos-cant-send-marshall-home-with-pay/), we already had the CBA open to the page containing the rules regarding suspensions for conduct detrimental to the team.

Here's the key text, from the labor contract: "Conduct detrimental to Club -- maximum fine of an amount equal to one week's salary and/or suspension without pay for a period not to exceed four (4) weeks."

So what does this mean when a suspension is applied on August 28, two weeks before the start of the regular season?

In the end, it could be an issue for an arbitrator to resolve. (Or, possibly, the "Special Master," who apparently wasn't content with being called only a "Master.")

As we interpret the language (and I'm neither an arbitrator nor a Master, special or otherwise), the Broncos had the option of fining Marshall up to four weeks' salary or suspend him for up to four weeks, or both.

At a minimum, the Broncos have chosen to suspend Marshall for an undetermined period of time. If they opt for the maximum, Marshall could be suspended until September 25, which would cause him to miss two regular-season games and most of the preparation for Week Three.

At some point, they'll need to designate a duration. Though the CBA isn't clear on the deadline in this regard, the notion that a team could suspend a player and tell him "we'll let you know when we want you back, but it'll be at some point in the next four weeks" doesn't seem fair, and that visceral sense of fair often comes into play when there's room for interpretation in the rules that have been established.

The bigger question is whether and to what extent the Broncos will fine Marshall. In the preseason, when players aren't receiving game checks, what is a week's salary? Is it a regular-season game check, or is it a week's worth of per diems?

At some point, the Broncos will make their position on these issues known. Then, Marshall and the NFLPA will have to decide whether to fight the issue. (An interesting subplot in this regard will be whether the union will hire Jeffrey Kessler to handle the case; if he isn't, it would strengthen the perception that the new regime is phasing him out.)

In the end, we might have another T.O.-Eagles showdown.

And, in this case, there could be multiple rounds. The CBA allows the teams to impose multiple suspensions of up to four weeks. So, if Marshall doesn't change his ways, he might be suspended again and again.

For now, though, it doesn't look good for Marshall. As one league source pointed out after viewing the video of Marshall's recent practice antics, "He's not gonna have a leg to stand on" if he appeals the suspension.

Baba Booey
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Good move McDaniels.

Drek
08-28-2009, 01:29 PM

WTF?

I'd assume its the warning shot across the bow. He's being shown that they can take football away and by proxy his massive pay day he feels he is owed.

If he comes back and continues to be a problem they are well within their rights to give him a full 4 games of unpaid suspension as "conduct detrimental to the team". At some point Marshall simply can't afford to not play nice.

Would you guys knock this off...

Blamming Shanahan for this is just as stupid as the idiots that are running around blaming McDaniels.

Shanny took a chance with a 4th round pick that paid off with over 200 catches in 2 years. That is the definition of a good risk/reward selection.

Marshall is the only person to blame... no one else.

According to Marshall Shanahan also promised a contract renegotiation this off-season, despite all the off-season bull**** hanging over head.

Shanahan also supported him completely in trying to avoid as much league punishment as he could for his off-field problems last year, leading to his three game suspension being reduced to a one game suspension.

I said then that Shanahan should've thrown the book at him before Goodell even got the chance. Sit Marshall down for 2-4 games minimum depending on just how much the organization knew about his off-field bull****. You reign him in before he felt so entitled and you could have developed a stand-up person while also developing a stand-out player.

Its the same Shanahan MO of the last few years though. Take risks on dirt bags and don't hold them accountable just as long as they produce on the field. It lead to his lie detector bull**** and supporting Travis Henry through all that BS a few years ago as just another example.

I absolutely loved Shanahan as the coach of the Broncos. I very much think one more year was deserved, assuming he would've parted with Slowick. But he had gotten very complacent and was looking for the quick path to victory, not building a complete and stable franchise. This is the end result of that kind of shortcut.

Mr.Meanie
08-28-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd assume its the warning shot across the bow. He's being shown that they can take football away and by proxy his massive pay day he feels he is owed.

If he comes back and continues to be a problem they are well within their rights to give him a full 4 games of unpaid suspension as "conduct detrimental to the team". At some point Marshall simply can't afford to not play nice.

Exactly, and that's basically what McD said in his presser. He said Marshall was given a warning about conduct detrimental to the team Wednesday morning, and then he went out and acted like an idiot immediately after that.

He said they aren't going to dive directly into the maximum punishment, but are taking a progressive punishment stance, meaning this time he is suspended until Sept 5th, next time he'll be suspended real games.

At first I thought that was too soft, but I understand the progessive punishment thing. It gives Marshall a chance to prove he wasn't lying when he said it was an error in judgement and he wouldn't do it again.

I hope he comes back ready to give it 100%, but Marshall has proven himself to be probably the dumbest football player I've ever seen, so I doubt it.

TonyR
08-28-2009, 01:49 PM
So what do you think is the reasoning behind Kuper not being "shown the money" yet? Model citizen on and off the field by all accounts.....doing all the right things.....going into the last year of his contract at a "measley" $1 mil. He should've been taken care of by now IMO.

Could be...
1) They want players to play out their contracts?
2) They want to get bigger at the position and may not keep him?
3) Financial concerns?

This is just me thinking out loud, I'm open to comments and discussion.

Beantown Bronco
08-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm trying to figure out which of those 3 possibilities scares the bejeesus out of me more.

NYBronco
08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Brandon's value goes up by the day... good job and hang in there man, I support your childish self destruction all the way.

DBroncos4life
08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm trying to figure out which of those 3 possibilities scares the bejeesus out of me more.

No ****. You can't make a habit of letting good players become able to test the market as a FA.

oubronco
08-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Asked if the Broncos are looking to trade Marshall, McDaniels said he
hoped to resolve the rift with the receiver, but "we're always going to do what's in the best interests of this team, this organization."

well here we go again

tsiguy96
08-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Asked if the Broncos are looking to trade Marshall, McDaniels said he
hoped to resolve the rift with the receiver, but "we're always going to do what's in the best interests of this team, this organization."

well here we go again

maybe the players will get the hint soon. this isnt about them or their personal interest its about teh team and whats best for it.

AbileneBroncoFan
08-28-2009, 02:20 PM
We don't need him. I am embarrassed that what was once a classy organization with men such as John Elway, Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey, etc. now consists of arrogant pricks. Who by the way, have not won anything relevant at any level of football.

Cutler and Marshall combined have zero playoff appearances. Winning in January is all that matters, period. You wanna be untradable like Brady or Manning or get the big contract like Fitz? Why don't you put in the time they do and get the results they do. If you don't, sit down, shut up, and get out of the way for someone is willing to.

If I could say one thing to either of these clowns, it would be "**** you, you have done nothing when and where it matters most, so you have done nothing worth bragging about. Respect is not given, it is earned. And legends aren't made in September. So you had some good Septembers? Great. So did Brian Griese. Who cares?"

Something Cutler and Marshall should do is have some respect for the game and its history. Maybe they could find something that could help them grow up, like the quote: "Winners never quit and quitters never win." -Vince Lombardi

TonyR
08-28-2009, 02:37 PM

At a closer look my #2 seems the least likely. Kuper may be below average size but not by much, and he's comparable size wise to NE's guards. Hamilton is the guy who's smallish. I sure hope they keep Kupe.

Hogan11
08-28-2009, 03:05 PM

Unless the N-Word in question is narcissist, you couldn't be further from the truth...get a clue dicknose.

Drek
08-28-2009, 03:29 PM
No ****. You can't make a habit of letting good players become able to test the market as a FA.

They won't.

The chances of a new CBA being completed at this point for 2010 is basically zero. That means unless you have six years of NFL service time you're an RFA going into next year.

It would be a gross disservice to the franchise for McDaniels and Xanders to start extending guys like Marshall and Kuper when they in fact are being given a second year on these expiring contracts for basically free. McDaniels not only gets to see them in his system, he can also see them in the locker room and off the field. They can't leave without the team letting them, and it takes a paltry $2.7M to make them stay short of a team giving us a 1st and 3rd for one of them.

So the notion that they're being asked to play out their contracts is just wrong. They haven't hit the actual final year on their deal, that'd be next year when they are brought back under RFA tenders. That is when they should be looking for new deals, not until.

Is it unfair that these players signed 4 year deals that gave the team that extra season while also getting the player past RFA status and now they find themselves in a position to lose that perk to taking a longer deal? You could look at it that way. But if their respective agents didn't know that 1. the CBA had such a clause in it and 2. that it may potentially come into effect during their client's walk year then maybe these players should consider new representation.

I know Kuper's dad posts on here (or at least used to). When he did he seemed like a pretty pragmatic guy. I'm sure he'd love for his son to finally see the payoff of all his hard work with a big fat multi-million dollar deal. But at the same time I'm sure he realizes that the NFL is a business and no one who knows how to run a business pays more for a service than they have to. Surely not by millions of dollars more. Kuper is a very good OG, he'll get his. Probably from the Broncos. Just not until the Broncos need to in order to keep his services.

Rickity
08-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Is BMarsh still getting his full contract this year? Since it is pre-season, I bet he is. He will only listen to the almighty dollar. He won't fly straight until his pocketbook his hit.

Archer81
08-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Is BMarsh still getting his full contract this year? Since it is pre-season, I bet he is. He will only listen to the almighty dollar. He won't fly straight until his pocketbook his hit.

Good rationale. Thats the only reason he reported to camp. The $15,500 a day fines.

:Broncos:

Hercules Rockefeller
08-28-2009, 03:52 PM
They won't.

The chances of a new CBA being completed at this point for 2010 is basically zero. That means unless you have six years of NFL service time you're an RFA going into next year.

Even if they were to come to an agreement sometime before the end of the season, I can't see it allowing guys who would have 4 years of service become UFAs this offseason.

How many teams do you think didn't sign guys to extensions this offseason because they believed they would still retain their rights as RFAs next offseason? My guess is most teams.

orange 4 life
08-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Figured this would already be at ten pages.

Just when you thought no one could outduel Jay Cutler for most hated guy in Broncos Country!!

So maners, what have we ACCOMPLISHED with this suspension?
Personally, I think we did a couple things.
We gave a guy who didn't wanna work a vacation, and since it's preseason it's basically a PAID vacation.
Second, we made SURE he won't be ready for the regular season regardless of what happens.

I'm not seeing this move as anything but negative.

I've been listening to the radio (just for the last hour or so) and so far NO ONE has suggested what I think would've been the obvious solution.

Bottom line is the best thing for the team is Marshall on the field and performing.
With that in mind, I woulda told him his stunts weren't going to be rewarded, and he wasn't going to be traded OR given a vacation.
I would've told him to learn the playbook quick because he's starting Sunday.
McD has said more than once that preseason isn't about winning.
SOOOOO, put the baby out there and see if he wants to make an ass of himself during a GAME.
Show him up!

Let everyone see him slack off. Let everyone see that he's not ready for game action. Let him hang himself.

OR, let him take a crash course in the offense and start playing like we know he can.

What you can't do (IMHO) is exactly what we just did.
I don't want .25 on the dollar for this clown in the form of some late round pick. I'd rather see him suspended for the season. You want out big guy?
Fine, then sit this season out and make nothing. Maybe THEN the man would actually start playing, 'cause God knows all this vacation....I mean "suspension".... does is empower him. Just my .02.

Jake

orange 4 life
08-28-2009, 04:23 PM

I know Hogan well (we've tailgated many a time) and he is NOT a racist.
Not by a long shot.
I can't speak for everyone, but I can and WILL speak on HIS behalf.
He doesn't give a flying **** whether a guy is black, white, or green.
That term is simply used to describe ANYONE of ANY background acting like a cocky punk.

You owe him an apology.

orange 4 life
08-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Is BMarsh still getting his full contract this year?

He is, which is why this move is nothing more than a vacation. EXACTLY what this clown wanted.

For most of us on this board, a 3-5k check (approx. preseason pay) would be a LOT of money, but to Brandon it's chump change.
He doesn't start losing real money until the regular season.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-28-2009, 04:32 PM
We can't really ruin his career if we start tagging him, paying 10-15 million a year, just to suspend him...

no but it's straight salary and a suspension would cost multiple millions...