PDA

View Full Version : Marshall acknowledges error in judgment

Gort
08-28-2009, 01:50 AM
In the video aired by KMGH-TV from Wednesday’s portion of practice that was open to the media, Marshall was shown walking when the rest of the team was running during warmups, insolently punting the ball away instead of handing it to a ball boy and swatting away a pass that was thrown to him.

Marshall said some of the video, which included a shot of him sitting on his pads before practice, was taken out of context. But he acknowledged his frustration boiled over and that it was an error in judgment to act as he did, especially when he punted the ball.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-marshall&prov=ap&type=lgns

ground him for 2 weeks. take away his TV privileges. make him come home straight from school and do his chores. oops! you mean we're not talking about a 14-year old here?

his act is getting old.

baja
08-28-2009, 02:03 AM
This can still be salvaged and I think it will. Marshall has backed himself into a corner now and his only way out is to apologize to his teammates and play ball.

Gort
08-28-2009, 02:13 AM
he's such a douchebag. he's got spaghetti for brains. i'm fed up with him.

Outside The Lines: Brandon Marshall's Past (13:09)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4A756xTC0s&feature=fvsr

but i'm sure some people out there think McD is the root of the problem. sigh.

Florida_Bronco
08-28-2009, 02:19 AM
This can still be salvaged and I think it will. Marshall has backed himself into a corner now and his only way out is to apologize to his teammates and play ball.

I agree. Just not certain I want him around him anymore.

Taco John
08-28-2009, 02:31 AM
I still think Josh should suspend the guy for no less than 4 to 6 weeks pending evaluation. Why in the hell would Josh want the guy anywhere around our team right now?

Suspend him and eliminate the distraction.

Killericon
08-28-2009, 03:09 AM
Trade him and eliminate the distraction.

Fixed.

Ratboy
08-28-2009, 03:13 AM
I still think Josh should suspend the guy for no less than 4 to 6 weeks pending evaluation. Why in the hell would Josh want the guy anywhere around our team right now?

Because Josh NEEDS Brandon Marshall playing for him. Orton with Marshall is a much better Orton then with Gaffney.

Gort
08-28-2009, 03:26 AM
Because Josh NEEDS Brandon Marshall playing for him. Orton with Marshall is a much better Orton then with Gaffney.

only if Marshall wants to play. we've already seen him dogging it and refusing to catch passes. what's to stop him from acting up on 3rd-and-15 and deciding not to try very hard to get open or to block downfield? if i were a Bronco, i wouldn't trust him right now and i wouldn't want him on the field with me until he explained himself, in a players-only meeting, in the locker room. until then, keep him on special teams.

Ratboy
08-28-2009, 03:28 AM
only if Marshall wants to play. we've already seen him dogging it and refusing to catch passes. what's to stop him from acting up on 3rd-and-15 and deciding not to try very hard to get open or to block downfield? if i were a Bronco, i wouldn't trust him right now and i wouldn't want him on the field with me until he explained himself, in a player-only meeting, in the locker room. until then, keep him on special teams.

Because Marshall wants to get paid. You honestly think Marshall will purposely drop balls when his next pay check is counting on it? I don't think so, but then again he's dumb some stupid ****.

They need to let him play and show him to the league that he can play and is willing to play and if we're luckily, maybe ship him off before the deadline.

Gort
08-28-2009, 03:32 AM
Because Marshall wants to get paid. You honestly think Marshall will purposely drop balls when his next pay check is counting on it? I don't think so, but then again he's dumb some stupid ****.

They need to let him play and show him to the league that he can play and is willing to play and if we're luckily, maybe ship him off before the deadline.

well, he was just videotaped purposely dropping balls in practice. when Randy Moss was disgruntled in MIN, he "took plays off". that's what i fear from Marshall. that he'll go 70% on some plays instead of 100%.

hambone13
08-28-2009, 03:52 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-marshall&prov=ap&type=lgns

ground him for 2 weeks. take away his TV privileges. make him come home straight from school and do his chores. oops! you mean we're not talking about a 14-year old here?

his act is getting old.

How old are you again? We're not talking about the world tour of coaching parents here.

Who is the Adult
Who is the Child

The adult has always been responsible in my experience.

meangene
08-28-2009, 03:55 AM
i still think josh should suspend the guy for no less than 4 to 6 weeks pending evaluation. Why in the hell would josh want the guy anywhere around our team right now?

qft

The Dread Pirate Roberts
08-28-2009, 06:34 AM
I like the idea of a players only meeting. They can also bitch about the coach in there if they want but if there's a leader on that squad, he can step up and unite them, and remind them that working hard and winning is the key to all their desires.

If BM won't fall in line, they should all be on him for being a bad teammate.

BTW, I think suspension for conduct detrimental is limited to 4 games. Total. Without pay. So if the players only meeting doesn't get through to him, suspend him for game one and see how he responds. If he still is dogging, suspend him for three more. If he's still dogging when he comes back, you bury him on the bench and/or make him play special teams and hope (or arrange for) an opponent takes him out so you can IR him.

gtown
08-28-2009, 06:37 AM
well, he was just videotaped purposely dropping balls in practice. when Randy Moss was disgruntled in MIN, he "took plays off". that's what i fear from Marshall. that he'll go 70% on some plays instead of 100%.

Exactly. Why put him out there if he is not gonna fire on all cylinders.

TonyR
08-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Here's the ESPN interview.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4427522

Broncoman13
08-28-2009, 06:48 AM

This could very well be, but it won't stop the hard feelings that Josh has for him at this point. He is acting like a spoiled brat and if McD had his way, BMarsh would be "grounded" for a month or so. But, just like with the Champ Bailey thing... he is getting some pressure to get him on the field with the first team. The good news here, I have a feeling that Bowlen may change HIS tune a little bit after seeing BMarsh act like a baby.

errand
08-28-2009, 06:49 AM

Josh should have dumped him on another team before this video...now the rest of the NFL knows they'd be getting the short end of the stick. His trade value dropped big time.

I'm sorry, but just like Jay and now Brandon...if they want to leave..let 'em. I have no use for anyone who doesn't want to wear the orange and blue Broncos uniform.

Oh, and if Brandon visits the mane....How the hell is that video being taken out of context?

errand
08-28-2009, 06:52 AM

Too much of a risk....what if Marshall decides to do the same crap on gameday? Practice like you play...play like you practice.

Malcontents will never be happy....look at TO...talented WR, no doubt...but he's bitched and moaned at every stop he's made in the NFL...but he too was just misunderstood, huh Brandon?

TailgateNut

4-6 weeks at a minimum. Will he bat down a ball in the regular season to proove his point. Will he intetionally screw up?

I don't trust this "unstable character", and I doubt many teams want to touch him and his issues.

dbfan4life
Damn it, now I have to flip flop again. When the guy speaks, you really want to like him and I fall for it every time! Do I hate him or love him. I'm just so confused! :clown:

gtown
08-28-2009, 06:59 AM

I really hope so...

Dudeskey
08-28-2009, 07:02 AM
Too much of a risk....what if Marshall decides to do the same crap on gameday? Practice like you play...play like you practice.

Malcontents will never be happy....look at TO...talented WR, no doubt...but he's b****ed and moaned at every stop he's made in the NFL...but he too was just misunderstood, huh Brandon?

That and you don't want him suddenly poisoning your locker room. He keeps this up, Keyshawn Johnson his ass, Let him rot, **** it. Its only a 2.2 mil cap hit. Now that this video's out, we'll be lucky to get a 5th rounder & a couple Gatorade buckets for him...

s0phr0syne
08-28-2009, 07:02 AM
Here's the ESPN interview.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4427522

thanks, was looking for the link!

Man-Goblin
08-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Fixed.

Nah. I wouldn't trade him and give him what he wants at this point. I also wouldn't mind seeing him suspended, but that would open up a whole new can of worms with the players union.

The best course of action the Broncos can take right now is to see if Brandon is sincere in what he told ESPN. He has to know he embarassed only himself with that display on Wednesday. This is a great thing for the Broncos because Brandon up until that point had been coached up pretty well on how to act. He finally acted like a dumb ass, and he just took three steps back from the two he gained in the PR fiasco after his acquittal.

Traveler
08-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Nah. I wouldn't trade him and give him what he wants at this point. I also wouldn't mind seeing him suspended, but that would open up a whole new can of worms with the players union.

The best course of action the Broncos can take right now is to see if Brandon is sincere in what he told ESPN. He has to know he embarassed only himself with that display on Wednesday. This is a great thing for the Broncos because Brandon up until that point had been coached up pretty well on how to act. He finally acted like a dumb ass, and he just took three steps back from the two he gained in the PR fiasco after his acquittal.

Broncos can't send Marshall home with pay
Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2009 8:41 AM ET

Some of you have suggested that the Denver Broncos should take a page from the Jon Gruden/Andy Reid playbook and send disgruntled receiver Brandon Marshall home, with pay.

Gruden did just that with receiver Keyshawn Johnson during the 2003 season, giving Keyshawn an extended vacation after repeated clashes between player and coach.

Two years later, the Eagles followed a four-game unpaid suspension of receiver Terrell Owens with a suspension for the rest of the year, with pay.

Though Keyshawn didn't fight his paid vacation, the grievance filed by Owens included an attempt to force the Eagles either to let Owens back in the building or cut him loose.

The effort failed.

And so, when it was time to work out a new Collective Bargaining Agreement after the 2005 season, the NFL Players Association slipped into the new deal language prohibiting teams from sending players home with pay.

Here's the relevant language from the provision in the current labor contract permitting maximum discipline of a four-game suspension without pay: "This maximum applies without limitation to any deactivation of a player in response to player conduct (other than a deactivation in response to a player's on-field playing ability), and any such deactivation, even with pay, shall be considered discipline subject to the limits set forth in this section. The Non-Injury Grievance Arbitrator's decision in Terrell Owens (Nov. 23, 2005) is thus expressly overruled as to any Club decision to deactivate a player in response to the player's conduct."

So while the Broncos can sit Marshall down for maximum suspensions of four games at a time in response to conduct detrimental to the team, the Broncos cannot pay him to stay out of their hair.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/28/broncos-cant-send-marshall-home-with-pay/

Dedhed
08-28-2009, 07:21 AM
At this point Marshall acknowledging that he's a moron isn't good enough. He's been acknowledging his idiocy since before the McDonald's bag, and nothing has changed with this douche.

He's had enough chances to grow up, and hasn't taken one of them. I hope we keep him and make him run dummy routes to get Royal open all year and hope someone picks him up so we get a high tender draft pick.

LittleFloyd
08-28-2009, 07:25 AM
This is the 15th time he has acknowleged "lack of judgement". Remember it happens every time he is arrested, in court, driving drunk or buying his panties at Victorias Secret.

TonyR
08-28-2009, 07:30 AM
...and nothing has changed with this douche.

He's had enough chances to grow up, and hasn't taken one of them.

Yep. Even if this incident is overblown, which I actually think it is to some extent, it's part of a pattern. He's clearly not going to grow up and "get it" any time soon. But unfortunately unless they can get at least a #1 for him they have to keep him.

Gcver2ver3
08-28-2009, 07:31 AM
I agree. Just not certain I want him around him anymore.

i'm with F_B on this one...

i can't even see myself rooting for the guy anymore...

jhat01
08-28-2009, 07:33 AM
I just traded him for a 4th round pick in my keeper league. I can't root for this dude anymore.

ColoradoDarin
08-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Let's see, combine Randy Moss taking plays (or seasons) off in raiderland with the arrest record of Pacman Jones. Who wouldn't want that on their team, I'm sure we can get 14 1sts for him now!!

brandon marshall - a woman beater off the field; a quitter on it.

Lawrence Philips on line one, said something about the ghost of Christmas future?

El Guapo
08-28-2009, 08:03 AM
If I acted like that at work (because I thought I was up for a promotion), I would get my butt fired.

Gort
08-28-2009, 08:09 AM
i wonder what the over/under is on how long it will be until Marshall starts referring to himself in the 3rd person. when that happens, the transformation into a me-first player will be complete.

i'm reminded of a famous Rickey Henderson anecdote.

According to Tom Verducci in an SI article in 2003, during one off-season, Henderson called Padres general manager Kevin Towers and left this message: "Kevin, this is Rickey. Calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball."

TheDave
08-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Just fine/suspend him and get this over with...

Atlas
08-28-2009, 08:29 AM

I don't think there is no way a 4-6 week suspension would hold up with the players union. I mean he acted out in one practice and he has apologized. They can suspend him with pay, but I don't really see how they can do it W/O pay. Unless they have a whole littany of stuff they have documented. Like Marshall said he was just frustrated and he is better now. (HE SAID THIS NOT ME)

I don't see how the Broncos can take his money away.

Rohirrim
08-28-2009, 08:29 AM
McD is trying to build a team. A team with some cohesion. BM is like the "anti-team." Get what you can get for him and cut your losses. The dude is wrong in the head. You can't fix stupid.

Atlas
08-28-2009, 08:31 AM
If I acted like that at work (because I thought I was up for a promotion), I would get my butt fired.

I'm sure Marshall would love to get fired by the Broncos and go out on the open market. Unlike you and me and most other normal people Marshall has skills that other companies (Jacksonville, K.C.) Would pay huge bucks for.

Gcver2ver3
08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I don't think there is no way a 4-6 week suspension would hold up with the players union. I mean he acted out in one practice and he has apologized. They can suspend him with pay, but I don't really see how they can do it W/O pay. Unless they have a whole littany of stuff they have documented. Like Marshall said he was just frustrated and he is better now. (HE SAID THIS NOT ME)

according to florio...the CBA currently prohibits players from being suspended with pay...

Paladin
08-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Damn it, now I have to flip flop again. When the guy speaks, you really want to like him and I fall for it every time! Do I hate him or love him. I'm just so confused! :clown:

I have a perfectly lovely bridge I could part with.....

Atlas
08-28-2009, 08:43 AM
according to florio...the CBA currently prohibits players from being suspended with pay...

Ok, well I guess he won't be suspeneded W/O pay. I guess the Broncos could suspend him for a week, but I find it hard to believe they could get away with anything more than that.

Drek
08-28-2009, 08:43 AM

The limit is 4 weeks, so they can't go beyond that. But there are a host of things they can suspend him for under "conduct detrimental to the team" and withhold pay for four weeks as a result.

1. it doesn't matter what excuse he uses for what he did in practice, it was still conduct detrimental to the team (disrupting a practice) and no apologizing gives the Broncos coaches and players those minutes of practice he stole back.

2. he hasn't learned his playbook, self admitted, so he's obviously not giving a good faith effort to the team. That is again conduct detrimental to the team.

3. He wasn't at practice yesterday. McDaniels didn't know where he was and it doesn't sound much like an excused absence as a result. Missing a day of practice is the very definition of conduct detrimental to the team.

That is three different probable causes to suspend him without pay for four weeks.

I largely agree Taco, but for McDaniels this is largely a can't lose scenario at this point. Its still pre-season and Marshall has only tried to disrupt one practice. Until that point he was either A. not around or B. a great example of how the team will not coddle a pouting star despite what happened with Cutler earlier this year.

The big win here is if McDaniels can get Marshall to set aside his issues, learn the playbook, and give this team 100% by regular season. He does that and he has immediate added credibility and respect not just from his players but also his peers and from all the players who have ever been on a team with Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, Keyshawn Johnson, etc..

The big lose scenario here is Marshall doesn't get his **** together and McDaniels then suspends him at the start of the season, effectively doing what you suggest.

FYI, this is exactly the course of action I said we should have taken with Cutler. Make him show up. If he doesn't show up ready to play then hold a suspension and loss of pay over his head until he does. We already had Chris Simms on the team so we had a solid backup option to work with, and Bus Cook is far too capable of an agent to let his star QB get benched/suspended. Cutler would have shown up, toed the line, and lost all momentum until his next contract was due.

Broncos4tw
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I just wish he could get his mind straight, he could quite literally be the difference between a losing and winning season. Orton has limited abilities, and Marshall would really help him use the ones he has to his fullest. Medicore QB + Mediocre WR = Mediocre season. If Marshall is out or gone, they'll just double up on Royal, and our offensive game is weakened considerbly. If Marshall is out there, with Royal developing into the receiver he is, it will make a formidible pair to cover. It could make a huge difference.

So, I recant my desire to trade him, we do need him. He just needs to get his mind straight. This is why I simply hate agents. They are absolutely useless now. If his agent had half a brain, he'd talk to him, and get him to play, he is only going to increase his value... I'm sure it's plummeting right now.

Drek
08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Ok, well I guess he won't be suspeneded W/O pay. I guess the Broncos could suspend him for a week, but I find it hard to believe they could get away with anything more than that.

Its the team's discretion, and it is at the team's discretion if they want to do it with or without pay. The player can file a grievance, but Marshall's recent actions and off-field history make it pretty likely he won't have much chance of winning.

I said last year Shanahan should have beaten Goodell to the punch and suspended Marshall at between 2-4 games to start the season. Instead Shanahan was too concerned with his offense looking potent out of the gate and he left yet another turd on the carpet for the next guy to clean up.

cutthemdown
08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
I like the idea of a players only meeting. They can also b**** about the coach in there if they want but if there's a leader on that squad, he can step up and unite them, and remind them that working hard and winning is the key to all their desires.

If BM won't fall in line, they should all be on him for being a bad teammate.

BTW, I think suspension for conduct detrimental is limited to 4 games. Total. Without pay. So if the players only meeting doesn't get through to him, suspend him for game one and see how he responds. If he still is dogging, suspend him for three more. If he's still dogging when he comes back, you bury him on the bench and/or make him play special teams and hope (or arrange for) an opponent takes him out so you can IR him.

you can just keep suspending him 4 games for the whole yr at a cost to Brandon of over 2 million dollars. IMO that's what Broncos should do if he doesn't snap out of it.

cutthemdown
08-28-2009, 11:22 AM
now very few teams will want Marshall.

cutthemdown
08-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Its the team's discretion, and it is at the team's discretion if they want to do it with or without pay. The player can file a grievance, but Marshall's recent actions and off-field history make it pretty likely he won't have much chance of winning.

I said last year Shanahan should have beaten Goodell to the punch and suspended Marshall at between 2-4 games to start the season. Instead Shanahan was too concerned with his offense looking potent out of the gate and he left yet another turd on the carpet for the next guy to clean up.

nope your wrong. After the owens thing they changed it. You can't send them home with pay. You either have to suspend with no pay and show cause, or just let them in the building and pay them.

You can't do the Keyshawn Johnson send them home thingy anymore.

cutthemdown
08-28-2009, 11:27 AM

you kidding? the provisions are there which empower the Broncos to remove him for 4 games, then see how he acts.

I'm sure they documented all his behavoir, the player won't win a greivence.

He's a dillwad and deserves to have career ruined.

BroncoMan4ever
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM

not if he is dogging it. i don't care how much talent you may have, if you aren't giving it all you have, you aren't going to play better than a guy like Gaffney, or Stokley if they are giving everything they have to play.

if he is going to continue his bull**** suspend him as long as possible and **** his career up.

make him beg to return to the team when he has no options and is out almost half his salary for the year.