PDA

View Full Version : Cutler in mid-season form -- Blaming Hester for the pick :) !

Hulamau
08-16-2009, 04:40 AM
Getting to know Jay in Chicago :-)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-16-haugh-jay-cutler-bears-aug16,0,191068.column

Quarterback sees to it Hester shares responsibility for pick
David Haugh On the Bears

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Unwelcome but necessary, a late arrival to the Jay Cutler Bandwagon dampened the enthusiasm surrounding the debut of the Bears quarterback Saturday night at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Reality.

Turns out Jay Cutler can make mistakes. He will disappoint. He needs a transition period.

He might even raise an eyebrow as he holds his wide receivers publicly accountable for an interception he threw, as Cutler did when beginning an answer about his interception with an explanation of Devin Hester's role in it.

Asked what happened on the underthrown first-quarter pass Cutler heaved off his back foot that cornerback Leodis McKelvin intercepted, the Bears quarterback introduced Hester into the equation.

"Devin is more of a go-get-it guy," Cutler said. "He's not really a back-shoulder, jump-up-and-get-it [guy] and ... you learn from it. You make some mistakes. It's a preseason game."

Hester acknowledged he could have made a better play on the ball once he realized Cutler's pump fake didn't fool McKelvin. Regardless, he still beat McKelvin by a step to get open.

"From watching the tape, [McKelvin] didn't bite on it so it was pretty tough to try to catch up to," Hester said. "I probably could have tried to make a play on the ball, as far as knocking it out of his hands. It wasn't nobody's fault."

The difference in interpretation can be attributed to Hester and Cutler still developing a rapport that has a ways to go. Offensive coordinator Ron Turner diplomatically pointed out Hester should have been more aggressive breaking up a pass that admittedly wasn't a good throw from Cutler.

The last thing an offense needs is to bring blame into the huddle.

"On balls like that, the receiver has to go up and break it up if they can," Turner said. "Devin did [adjust and Cutler] still thought Devin had a chance to get by him."

Wherever Cutler put the football against the Bills, where he placed responsibility for his interception might have been the most telling thing about his first game as a Bear.

The rest of it -- 5 of 10 for 64 yards and that interception in 14 plays -- should be of little concern. If Cutler plays this poorly next month, the civic reaction should be "uh-oh." But now a collective "oh, well," works just fine.

"There's no reason for anybody to start to panic," Cutler said.

Agreed. That is why the NFL plays four exhibition games. This was a televised scrimmage, a way to break up the monotony of training camp as well as charge fans regular-season admission prices to watch glorified practices.

It really means nothing in terms of projecting Cutler's season. The last three NFL regular seasons represent a truer gauge than one quarter in the preseason. Cutler's past still inspires high hopes if his present needs some work.

Cutler's performance Saturday may bring out the I-told-you-so crowd and jam sports-talk radio lines with talk of whether No. 6 will be the latest Bears quarterback to break Chicago's heart, but it would be silly to overreact.

Remember how crisp Rex Grossman looked two years ago in the 2007 exhibition opener at Houston? How much of an indicator was that?
.................................................. .................

What the Bears coaching staff has now is a more captive audience, and that's not such a bad thing.

Meck77
08-16-2009, 04:48 AM
Same ole jay...

So when does the Jay Cutler sub forum open up?

Premier-Ace55
08-16-2009, 05:09 AM
Same ole jay...

I really like that Idea

ol number 7
08-16-2009, 06:33 AM
I really like that Idea

Hope he does as well or a little bit worse in Denver on the 30th.

521 1N5
08-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Same ole jay...

That really isn't a bad idea!!

Meck77
08-16-2009, 07:25 AM
The mane seems to be in two groups now. There is the "Get over Jay" group then there is the "Jay cutler farted and I want to talk about it" group. By creating a sub forum it might be a good compromise for both groups. Just sayin.

NYBronco
08-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Sub group/forum idea is a good idea.

I'm in the Cutler farted group and want to talk about it which is no different then the Orton farted group and they want to talk about it.

baja
08-16-2009, 08:29 AM
No no bad idea the fun is in the drama of it all. With dozens of clever and funny posters gone at least leave the Jay Cutler soap opera for some laughs...

bronco0608
08-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Cue the Chicago nut-huggers in 3..2..1..

SureShot
08-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Sub group/forum idea is a good idea.

I'm in the Cutler farted group and want to talk about it which is no different then the Orton farted group and they want to talk about it.

Except for the small fact that one plays for the Broncos and one doesn't.

Meck77
08-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Like I said the mane is divided into two camps.Ha!

They are going to eat Cutler alive in Chicago this season. I can just feel it.

400HZ
08-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Cutler is a piece of ****. Been sayin' it for years.....

baja
08-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Cutler is a piece of ****. Been sayin' it for

years.....

True that Cutler is a piece of poo but remember your guy is a full on turd.

400HZ
08-16-2009, 08:45 AM
This may be true but your QB is a full on turd.

Phillip making Cutler cry brings a huge smile to my face every time I think about it. I am going to miss that SOOO much! :rofl:

I'm glad there are still people here who stick up for that pussballer. :thumbsup:

Meck77
08-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Fantasy Football changed the way some view the game. Got to love those Fantasy guys who sit in the stands @ Mile High but are listening to the Raider/Charger game hoping their QB hangs 4 TDs so they can win 50 bucks.

Spider
08-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Cutler sub forum ...AKA the lex forum ........

Meck77
08-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Cutler sub forum ...AKA the lex forum ........

AKA fantasy football forum.

rastaman
08-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Like I said the mane is divided into two camps.Ha!

They are going to eat Cutler alive in Chicago this season. I can just feel it.

We are going to EAT Orton alive this season......I can just feel it!

A year from now we will probably hold a weekly "Pig" roast with McDisaster as the main menu!!!

baja
08-16-2009, 10:31 AM

A year from now we will probably hold a weekly "Pig" roast with McDisaster as the main menu!!!

Man is your stitch getting old

cutthemdown
08-16-2009, 11:01 AM

I totally get it now. Mcdaniels and Orton are your new Bush and Cheney. Enjoy!!!!!!!

BroncoMan4ever
08-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Orton manned up to his mistakes. he never blamed Graham for not going out and getting the 1st pick, or Stokley for not fighting harder for the ball Bly intercepted, and that the receiver ran the wrong route on his final pick.

as a leader, and teammate, i like him more after 1 game than i ever liked Jay in that role.

Rohirrim
08-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Can we get an over/under on how long it is before one of the Bears punches out that punk? ;D

R8R H8R
08-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Can we get an over/under on how long it is before one of the Bears punches out that punk? ;D

5 1/2 games -120

Circle Orange
08-16-2009, 11:44 AM
The Chicago media are childish, immature and obsessed. Can they get through ANY article without mentioning Grossman?

I thought the Cutler hype was unwarranted and ridculous to begin with. Chicago has no serious/consistent wideouts, and a mediocre O line (that has a clubfooted center). So enjoy yourself, Jay. See you in the funny papers.

NYBronco
08-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Except for the small fact that one plays for the Broncos and one doesn't.

Really...you wouldn't know it with all the Cutler talk that continues to come up here on the Bronco board.

Miss I.
08-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Cue the Chicago nut-huggers in 3..2..1..

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/peterhowd6nc.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=1677)

DenverBrit
08-16-2009, 11:54 AM
"There's no reason for anybody to start to panic," Cutler said

LOL

Doesn't that sound familiar.

Popps
08-16-2009, 12:19 PM
This is the same guy that ridiculed Eddie Royal on national TV, one of the best WRs in the league and one of our most steady performers last season. Not a surprise that he's taken his blame game to Chicago.

Gort
08-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Fantasy Football changed the way some view the game. Got to love those Fantasy guys who sit in the stands @ Mile High but are listening to the Raider/Charger game hoping their QB hangs 4 TDs so they can win 50 bucks.

that and Madden football. now you have people who consider themselves experts in all aspects of the real game just because they spend 100 hours a week playing Madden.

BroncoMan4ever
08-16-2009, 12:56 PM
This is the same guy that ridiculed Eddie Royal on national TV, one of the best WRs in the league and one of our most steady performers last season. Not a surprise that he's taken his blame game to Chicago.

that pissed me off so much. also had he not zeroed in on Marshall for the middle of the season and gotten the ball to Eddie more often, we would have won another game or 2, and Eddie would have had over 100 catches and over 1000 receiving yards.

Archer81
08-16-2009, 12:57 PM
10 passes Cutler threw, 6 of them were at Hester...Chicago should get used to that.

:Broncos:

Kaylore
08-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Hester should have played corner, a position he supposedly "played" as a returner and batted the ball away. That doesn't change the fact he shouldn't have thrown the ball there, nor should he have stared down his receiver on the int he dropped. He also imploded in the redzone, just as we saw him do here.

I find it funny that when Cutler played for a small market team his deficiencies were shouted from seas to shinning sea but when he goes to the Bears suddenly he "made Royal and Marshall what they are" and the offensive line's good play was all "Cutler's mobility" and now Hester and bunch o' guys and their porous line is suddenly going to be awesome because of Cutler.

Cutler goes to a big market team and everyone's bending over backwards to make up what he's going to do.

Then he goes out and looks like the same player with a worse supporting cast and everyone's shocked. He threw picks, refused to check down, stared down his targets and complained about his teammates deficiencies to the media.

Is this really all that different?

The answer is no. Cutler is a player who won't take coaching because he already thinks he's awesome and has been able to power his way into what he wants to this point. No one has broken him yet and now in a City that is so QB starved they worshiped him from the time he walked in with a worse supporting cast and a less forgiving media Cutler is set up for failure.

bronco0608
08-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Cutler in a nutshell:

When asked about his poor performance, after laying blame on Hester, mentioned that Olsen and Forte were also out.

The man blames EVERYONE besides himself or makes excuses when things go wrong.

The most Cutler has ever said about a poor performance: "There were some balls I would like to have back, but its part of the gig."

He's a finger pointer, plain and simple. Blames defenses, blames WRs for not running the right routes...

You can have all the talent in the world like he does, but that doesn't make you a winner. In the NFL everyone is talented. The teams that win stay healthy, have superior coaching, and leaders at all the right positions.

Dudeskey
08-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Phillip making Cutler cry brings a huge smile to my face every time I think about it. I am going to miss that SOOO much! :rofl:

I'm glad there are still people here who stick up for that pussballer. :thumbsup:

When I look back on that it doesn't bother me so much now. Could be because he's no longer with us...

lonestar
08-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Cutler is the Scorpion in the Scorpion and the frog fable..

He does it, because that is what he is.. it is his nature..

http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?4&TheScorpionandtheFrog

Punisher
08-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Cutler has the skill and ability to be a Top 5 QB,but he needs a great Offensive Coach in his head.Lovie Smith isn't gonna make Cutler better its really a shame but Oh well let the Cry Baby waste his life in Chi-Town.

Dudeskey
08-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Cutler has the skill and ability to be a Top 5 QB,but he needs a great Offensive Coach in his head.Lovie Smith isn't gonna make Cutler better its really a shame but Oh well let the Cry Baby waste his life in Chi-Town.

Well he does have Ron Turner (Norv's brother) which isn't saying much...

lonestar
08-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Well he does have Ron Turner (Norv's brother) which isn't saying much...

the same guy that is the one when he was the HC at U of IL, that would not give jay a scholarship to IL as a QB wanted him as a safety..:rofl:

so tell me he knows offense.. !Booya!

BroncoDoug
08-16-2009, 08:04 PM
I love jays face, its like oh S***, I shouldn't of thrown that..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2009-08/jay-cutler_48676080.jpg

DenverBrit
08-16-2009, 08:34 PM
I love jays face, its like oh S***, I shouldn't of thrown that..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2009-08/jay-cutler_48676080.jpg

Closing his eyes during the release?

easymobee
08-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Good thing the internet wasn't around in the early 80's , Colts fans woulda been b****in about Elway just like this. That woulda got them real far.

The good thing is that Cutler ain't no Elway and Orton has got be better than Hermann.

Circle Orange
08-16-2009, 09:13 PM
I've said it before and still stick with it...Cutler has talent, but he ISN'T special. For crying out loud, he doesn't do anything I haven't seen before.

Like tossing off the back foot, heaving into coverage...

Ambling around like a headless chicken behind an old, stumbling line.

Throwing to a bunch of #3 receivers and a so called converted return man with hands of stone.

TheReverend
08-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Closing his eyes during the release?

No, he's just high.

easymobee
08-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I've said it before and still stick with it...Cutler has talent, but he ISN'T special. For crying out loud, he doesn't do anything I haven't seen before.

Like tossing off the back foot, heaving into coverage...

Ambling around like a headless chicken behind an old, stumbling line.

Throwing to a bunch of #3 receivers and a so called converted return man with hands of stone.

Cutler left a situation like Marino had (Clayton/Duper) and got himself into the vintage Elway situation (Vance, Nattiel, M. Jackson, Arthur Marshall etc ...).

Ill bet dollars to donuts that he can't make lemonade out of his lemons like Elway did.

Blueflame
08-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Good thing the internet wasn't around in the early 80's , Colts fans woulda been b****in about Elway just like this. That woulda got them real far.

The good thing is that Cutler ain't no Elway and Orton has got be better than Hermann.

There could have been epic disagreements over Reeves' drafting of Maddox... and Reeves vs. Elway.....

Blueflame
08-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Oh... and talk about epic... the meltdown during and immediately following the 55-10 SB loss... we'd still be talking about that one if the Mane had existed back then.

Dudeskey
08-16-2009, 10:11 PM
the same guy that is the one when he was the HC at U of IL, that would not give jay a scholarship to IL as a QB wanted him as a safety..:rofl:

so tell me he knows offense.. !Booya!

He learned from that genius Dave Wannstedt... LOL

Dudeskey
08-16-2009, 10:16 PM
10 passes Cutler threw, 6 of them were at Hester...Chicago should get used to that.

And Hester only caught 2 of those...

Popps
08-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Oh... and talk about epic... the meltdown during and immediately following the 55-10 SB loss... we'd still be talking about that one if the Mane had existed back then.

Again, quit comparing HOF QBs to a drunk loser in Chicago.

Blueflame
08-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Again, quit comparing HOF QBs to a drunk loser in Chicago.

I wasn't comparing anything... or even talking about any QBs; I was talking about the OrangeMane. ::) Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you reached for that though.

There are only 3 QBs that are currently relevant to the Broncos and those guys' names are Orton, Simms, and Brandstater.

Hulamau
08-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Cutler left a situation like Marino had (Clayton/Duper) and got himself into the vintage Elway situation (Vance, Nattiel, M. Jackson, Arthur Marshall etc ...).

Ill bet dollars to donuts that he can't make lemonade out of his lemons like Elway did.

Not only that he, wont get the kind of the fine tuning and persistent corrective coaching there with Turner that he would have with McD .. assuming he could have ever allowed himself to listen ... who is too busy holding his jockstrap to really be Jay's coach.

uplink
08-17-2009, 01:29 AM

I don't think so really since most people IMO expected a bad loss in that SB. I for one watched it alone. SF was a machine that year destroying everyone in their path.

I did think the broncos would win the Giants and Redskins SB however. The Skins one was real bad since Denver was winning in the 1st quarter then imploded in the 2nd. I was with a bunch of skins fans to make it worst so I just got drunk and missed the 2nd half.

Blueflame
08-17-2009, 01:43 AM
I don't think so really since most people IMO expected a bad loss in that SB. I for one watched it alone. SF was a machine that year destroying everyone in their path.

I did think the broncos would win the Giants and Redskins SB however. The Skins one was real bad since Denver was winning in the 1st quarter then imploded in the 2nd. I was with a bunch of skins fans to make it worst so I just got drunk and missed the 2nd half.

Expected or not, internet forums always melt down after a loss due to fans needing an emotional outlet for their feelings of disappointment. Going by the "most people expected a loss" theory... well in the weeks leading up to SB XXXII, most sports media acted like it was a foregone conclusion that Green Bay was getting the repeat. Homerism is a common trait in fans though... and clinging to the notion of "on any given Sunday"...

No... if the Mane had existed back in January of 1990, there would have been thread after thread calling for the heads of everyone who could even remotely have been deemed "responsible" for the loss. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably hasn't been around here after a loss lately (even a meaningless preseason one).

TonyR
08-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Schlereth was ripping Cutler on Mike & Mike this morning. He was saying how his act was really growing old and how Elway never, ever would have blamed teammates despite playing on some lousy offenses where he was sometimes sacked more than 40 times in a season. It was beautiful to hear Stink pulling no punches about that worthless loser. It's going to be fun to watch him fail in Chi.

yerner
08-17-2009, 07:02 AM
You guys need to let it go. He's gone now. How about no more threads or discussions about Chicago's quarterback? Somebody make that rule.

oubronco
08-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Ha ha

uplink
08-18-2009, 02:18 PM
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Northman
08-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Schlereth was ripping Cutler on Mike & Mike this morning. He was saying how his act was really growing old and how Elway never, ever would have blamed teammates despite playing on some lousy offenses where he was sometimes sacked more than 40 times in a season. It was beautiful to hear Stink pulling no punches about that worthless loser. It's going to be fun to watch him fail in Chi.

Yea, but Stinky is a POS so why should his opinion matter much right? :rofl:

Meck77
08-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Go Bears!

Circle Orange
08-18-2009, 10:38 PM

I suppose we could fax an official dope slap to Cutler Via FedEx. And a card expressing our worst wishes. !Booya!

Circle Orange
08-18-2009, 10:39 PM
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Yes, but you forget Jeffy is still available and hooking himself to play...Hilarious!

Circle Orange
08-18-2009, 10:41 PM

LOL "At" not "To." ROFL!

Popps
08-18-2009, 10:41 PM
You guys need to let it go. He's gone now. How about no more threads or discussions about Chicago's quarterback? Somebody make that rule.

Dude, this franchise has been set back 50 years.

FIFTY years.

It started at 10, and now is up to 50.

The end is near.