PDA

View Full Version : Orton looked GREAT last night....

orange 4 life
08-15-2009, 12:46 PM
....OFF the field. No joke thread here folks, and I also don't think it's unwarranted optimism.

Sure, he tossed the (preseason) game away with three picks, but he ALSO was a presence on the sideline and after the game we haven't had in awhile.

Before we all panic, let's look at it for what it is.
They're all learning a new offense, they came out very UNvanilla using multiple formations and personnel packages, they did it without their best offensive player, and they moved the ball quite well.

As for the INT's, lets not jump ship just yet.
This guy was talking to all his receivers (and coaches) on the sidelines the entire game, he seemed to have a great repoire with his fellow players, he cheered on his backup players (as opposed to putting his head down on the sidelines), and then after the game he owned his mistakes in a confident yet humble interview.

He may not have anywhere near the talent that Cutler does, but he DOES seem to have leadership abilities and heart, which are two things we've been lacking at that position since #16 departed.

Jake

atomicbloke
08-15-2009, 12:57 PM
http://valueacceleration.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lombardi_trophy2.jpg

SoCalBronco
08-15-2009, 12:58 PM
"Presence" on the sideline and 75 cents will buy you a mediocre cup of coffee.

Good to see you, though, Jake. :)

footstepsfrom#27
08-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Good grief

TheReverend
08-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Best possible response to this thread:

http://i32.tinypic.com/fnapz.jpg

Aftermath
08-15-2009, 01:00 PM
awesome

Northman
08-15-2009, 01:01 PM
....OFF the field. No joke thread here folks, and I also don't think it's unwarranted optimism.

Sure, he tossed the (preseason) game away with three picks, but he ALSO was a presence on the sideline and after the game we haven't had in awhile.

They're all learning a new offense, they came out very UNvanilla using multiple formations and personnel packages, they did it without their best offensive player, and they moved the ball quite well.

This guy was talking to all his receivers (and coaches) on the sidelines the entire game, he seemed to have a great repoire with his fellow players, he cheered on his backup players (as opposed to putting his head down on the sidelines), and then after the game he owned his mistakes in a confident yet humble interview.

He may not have anywhere near the talent that Cutler does, but he DOES seem to have leadership abilities and heart, which are two things we've been lacking at that position since #16 departed.

Jake

I still give you so much grief over your meltdown thread a few years ago. Can you forgive me? And can you place a call to Plummer and ask him to come back? 8')

bronco militia
08-15-2009, 01:01 PM
I think i've read post's like this before.....I just can't put my finger on it..

hmmmmm

oh yeah!

Bubby, is that you again?!?!?

bronco militia
08-15-2009, 01:03 PM
http://www.mylilallstar.com/tmedit/uploads/Bubby_Brister.jpg

BroncoMan4ever
08-15-2009, 02:23 PM
i agree. we came out using a middle of the season gameplan. this wasn't a preseason lets just get through the game type of gameplan. also, even with the mistakes which were based on miscommunications and a good play on the ball by Bly, he showed during that 1st drive that with a little more time and a little more chemistry with his receivers that he can lead this offense really well.

i think we are going to be just fine. i am fine with him having his 3 INT game in the preseason as opposed to against Cincinatti

lex
08-15-2009, 02:26 PM

Jake

That excuse just isnt going to work.

watermock
08-15-2009, 02:51 PM
When we're sitting at 5/11 wondering where ouir new QB is going to come from, give me a call Jake.

tsiguy96
08-15-2009, 02:57 PM
i agree. we came out using a middle of the season gameplan. this wasn't a preseason lets just get through the game type of gameplan. also, even with the mistakes which were based on miscommunications and a good play on the ball by Bly, he showed during that 1st drive that with a little more time and a little more chemistry with his receivers that he can lead this offense really well.

i think we are going to be just fine. i am fine with him having his 3 INT game in the preseason as opposed to against Cincinatti

the very first game out there was nothing vanilla about the scheme, thats why he threw the picks, i agree. sorta throwing the entire book at him from the start, then prolly back off a little bit next week. most likely why cassel did so good last year because he had years in the system, orton can do ATLEAST that good.

oubronco
08-15-2009, 02:59 PM
http://www.mylilallstar.com/tmedit/uploads/bubby_brister.jpg

nooooooooo!!!!!!

Steve Sewell
08-15-2009, 03:12 PM
ITT: Rationalizations

Rock Chalk
08-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Hey Jake,

Don't you know, knee jerk reactions are the way to go here. Calmness and finding silver linings are not tolerated on the orangemane.

orange 4 life
08-15-2009, 06:26 PM
I still give you so much grief over your meltdown thread a few years ago. Can you forgive me? And can you place a call to Plummer and ask him to come back? 8')

Hysterical.

Yeah, I wish more than ever that we could have Plummer back!!

I expected the type of responses I've gotten, and again, it wasn't a pretty performance, but leadership and toughness often DO get one a long way in this league, so I'm optimistic. Sue me.

kmonty
08-15-2009, 07:02 PM
"Presence" on the sideline and 75 cents will buy you a mediocre cup of coffee.

HAha, wasn't it you who threw that one at me last year, but it was 25 cents?

Economy's a b****.

BroncoMan4ever
08-15-2009, 09:15 PM
the very first game out there was nothing vanilla about the scheme, thats why he threw the picks, i agree. sorta throwing the entire book at him from the start, then prolly back off a little bit next week. most likely why cassel did so good last year because he had years in the system, orton can do ATLEAST that good.

and even with years in the system, he still looked pretty bad the first 4-5 games he started. it wasn't until McDaniels adjusted the scheme to better suit him that he started to look good.

too many people are calling for Simms already when he was just playing the standard preseason gameplan, very vanilla nothing complicated. Orton was going through reads at the line, audibles, constantly changing formations, he had a regular season gameplan, and for his 1st game with new receivers and scheme, we need to cut the guy a little slack.

extralife
08-16-2009, 02:45 AM
the picks had jack all to do with the "scheme." they weren't the result of bad reads, miscommunication, or poor timing. they were the result of a QB that doesn't have an NFL arm. they were bad throws. bad throws are bad throws no matter what the hell offense you are running.

Hulamau
08-16-2009, 03:00 AM
the picks had jack all to do with the "scheme." they weren't the result of bad reads, miscommunication, or poor timing. they were the result of a QB that doesn't have an NFL arm. they were bad throws. bad throws are bad throws no matter what the hell offense you are running.

Not the first one. Was miscommunication according to both Orton and Graham... plus a heads up play by Clements.. There other two were on Orton all the way but I haven't lost a minute of sleep over it.

Its way early for that. I'm just happy Moreno isnt hurt badly .. but a shame he'll have to miss more time.

Hulamau
08-16-2009, 03:39 AM
Hysterical.

Yeah, I wish more than ever that we could have Plummer back!!

I expected the type of responses I've gotten, and again, it wasn't a pretty performance, but leadership and toughness often DO get one a long way in this league, so I'm optimistic. Sue me.

I liked seeing him on the sidelines engaged with the players and coaches too and fully into the game rather than sitting alone on one corner of the bench staring off into space like he would rather be anywhere else.

Speaking of which, Orton's post game presser was refreshing too in contrast to Jay-boy's surly condescending sulk fests with the press .. .. and that was when we won :-)! When he lost Cutler looked like a cornered snake on the podium!

Now all we need is for Orton to reverse his INT to TD ratio from Friday night and he'll be Governor of Colorado before Halloween! :twokisses

Spider
08-16-2009, 06:23 AM

well you are right on the miss communication ...........
Look his first time at game speed with a new team , Some guys can adjust faster then others ....... as for bad throws ? when you run a timing offense with a new quarterback , yeah ............

elsid13
08-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Not the first one. Was miscommunication according to both Orton and Graham... plus a heads up play by Clements.. There other two were on Orton all the way but I haven't lost a minute of sleep over it.

Its way early for that. I'm just happy Moreno isnt hurt badly .. but a shame he'll have to miss more time.

The open player for that play was Hillis on the flat, but Orton doesn't have the arm for that. Instead he tried to force a throw that wasn't there and didn't put it low and fast for only his player to catch.

NYBronco
08-16-2009, 07:23 AM
I just finished watching Denver's first series vs SF and Orton/Offense looked pretty good up until the INT he threw in the end zone.

But even with that he threw a nice pass to Graham and lead him really well. The INT was a nice pick by the defender as he had to reach behind himself to get it. None the less it was a pick and we lost a scoring opportunity.

Cito Pelon
08-16-2009, 07:27 AM
The open player for that play was Hillis on the flat, but Orton doesn't have the arm for that. Instead he tried to force a throw that wasn't there and didn't put it low and fast for only his player to catch.

Orton doesn't have the arm to throw into the FLAT? Wow, he really does suck. Man, if a QB can't even get the ball out to the flat, that's a weak arm.

But seriously, if you're talking about the endzone INT Graham was wide open just sitting there and I guess Orton saw the LB in his passing lane and expected Graham to slide outside. If Orton would have tried to put the ball low and fast to Graham where Graham was standing he would have hit that LB right in the face.

Orton was having a decent game that first drive, but to me he didn't look comfortable at all. His feet were hopping constantly and he didn't step into his throws well.

elsid13
08-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Orton doesn't have the arm to throw into the FLAT? Wow, he really does suck. Man, if a QB can't even get the ball out to the flat, that's a weak arm.

But seriously, if you're talking about the endzone INT Graham was wide open just sitting there and I guess Orton saw the LB in his passing lane and expected Graham to slide outside. If Orton would have tried to put the ball low and fast to Graham where Graham was standing he would have hit that LB right in the face.

Orton was having a decent game that first drive, but to me he didn't look comfortable at all. His feet were hopping constantly and he didn't step into his throws well.

He doesn't have the arm to throw in the flat (flat footed) with the LB in underneath coverage and takes to long for him to get the ball off. The release problem is what McDaniels been working on for his mechanics. For the Graham pass, the QB needs to anticipate that LB in zone going toward Graham and other offense players flooding that area of the endzone. If he puts the ball low and on a rope it either a catch or in-completion. Putting at chest level means the defender has chance to make a play.

DenverBrit
08-16-2009, 08:00 AM
He doesn't have the arm to throw in the flat (flat footed) with the LB underneath coverage and takes to long for him to the ball off. The release problem is what McDaniels been working on for his mechanics. For the Graham pass, the QB needs to anticipate that LB in zone going motion to Graham. If he puts the ball low and on a rope it either a catch or in-completion. Putting at chest level means the defender has chance to make a play.

He seemed to lead Graham when Graham had in fact stopped.

Do you think it more of a communication/familiarity problem or a poor throw?

Cito Pelon
08-16-2009, 08:13 AM
He doesn't have the arm to throw in the flat (flat footed) with the LB in underneath coverage and takes to long for him to get the ball off. The release problem is what McDaniels been working on for his mechanics. For the Graham pass, the QB needs to anticipate that LB in zone going toward Graham and other offense players flooding that area of the endzone. If he puts the ball low and on a rope it either a catch or in-completion. Putting at chest level means the defender has chance to make a play.

Eh, we'll see if Orton can get settled down and improve his mechanics. If not, Simms mechanics looked darn good, so I hope McD is not afraid to sit Orton down if indeed Orton can't get comfortable. Fortunately, McD has said unequivocally from the start each player has to prove himself.

NYBronco
08-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Just finished watching Orton's second series which again resulted in an INT. This time it was Bly that grabbed the ball. Orton should have just thrown it away as he was getting pressured and Stokely was well covered.

Orton executed a naked reverse very well that went to Hillis and gained approximately 14 yards. Nice play.

Moreno looked good for the short time he was in. He got hurt on his second run but he seemed to think it wasn't a major injury as he just shook it off and played through the next couple of plays. On his next run he managed to get 4yards out of a play that had him stuffed at the LOS.

Cito Pelon
08-16-2009, 08:21 AM

I won't speak for elsid, but IMO it could be a communication/familiarity problem. Orton & Graham had a talk on the sideline after that and I imagine Orton was saying he saw that LB in his passiing lane to Graham and was expecting Graham to slide over to an open passing lane.

DarkHorse30
08-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Orton is a team guy, which is why his Chicago teammates were sorry to see him go. Great to see him own up to his mistakes and talk to his guys on the sideline. He actually seems interested in the game he is in.......wow.

OTOH, Cutler played just as badly as Orton in his first game (ditto Cassel, IMO) but managed to note that Olson and Forte were not in the lineup. Apparently not having Marshall, didn't occur to Orton.

Good thread.

tsiguy96
08-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Just finished watching Orton's second series which again resulted in an INT. This time it was Bly that grabbed the ball. Orton should have just thrown it away as he was getting pressured and Stokely was well covered.

Orton executed a naked reverse very well that went to Hillis and gained approximately 14 yards. Nice play.

Moreno looked good for the short time he was in. He got hurt on his second run but he seemed to think it wasn't a major injury as he just shook it off and played through the next couple of plays. On his next run he managed to get 4yards out of a play that had him stuffed at the LOS.

yea im not sure how moreno not going out is mcdaniels fault, i wonder if mcdaniels even saw he slightly limped but kept going through, didnt really tell anyone

Spider
08-16-2009, 08:32 AM
I sure was impressed with Moreno and that 4 yard run ........ preseason or not , that was bad ass ......

DarkHorse30
08-16-2009, 08:33 AM
I sure was impressed with Moreno and that 4 yard run ........ preseason or not , that was bad ass ......

reminded me of a former Bronco who will not be named (because I'm superstitious as hell)

Cito Pelon
08-16-2009, 08:33 AM

I don't know what Orton was trying to do on that 2nd INT. I guess he was expecting Stokley to do something different than he did. But that still doesn't explain why he threw the ball right into Bly's stomach.

Cito Pelon
08-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Orton is a team guy, which is why his Chicago teammates were sorry to see him go. Great to see him own up to his mistakes and talk to his guys on the sideline. He actually seems interested in the game he is in.......wow.

OTOH, Cutler played just as badly as Orton in his first game (ditto Cassel, IMO) but managed to note that Olson and Forte were not in the lineup. Apparently not having Marshall, didn't occur to Orton.

Good thread.

Good point.

Spider
08-16-2009, 08:37 AM
reminded me of a former Bronco who will not be named (because I'm superstitious as hell)

;D reading you loud and clear .........

NYBronco
08-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Orton's third series again resulted in an INT. This time he underthrew his receiver #16. The pass when intercepted was only thrown about 20 yards. He needed to go about 25 yards to hit the open man #16 (don'y know the name).

Moreno was also in this series and threw a chop block. He was flagged but because of the INT it was nullified by SF. So apparantly the decision was made that Moreno's injury at this point was not serious. I'm guessing the training staff had some input on whether he should continue to play.

lex
08-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Orton's third series again resulted in an INT. This time he underthrew his receiver #16. The pass when intercepted was only thrown about 20 yards. He needed to go about 25 yards to hit the open man #16 (don'y know the name).

Moreno was also in this series and threw a chop block. He was flagged but because of the INT it was nullified by SF. So apparantly the decision was made that Moreno's injury at this point was not serious. I'm guessing the training staff had some input on whether he should continue to play.

Chad Jackson is 16.

Spider
08-16-2009, 08:40 AM
I don't know what Orton was trying to do on that 2nd INT. I guess he was expecting Stokley to do something different than he did. But that still doesn't explain why he threw the ball right into Bly's stomach.

Orton was going to Stokley alot , I was thinking maybe Orton and Stokley didnt get much time in practice and was trying to get some Game sped timing down with him

NYBronco
08-16-2009, 08:41 AM

Yea, I went back and looked at it and Bly was in good position. Perhaps Stokely was supposed to go underneath Bly. Not sure but as you have been mentioning along with others it was probably more of a miscommunication issue.

NYBronco
08-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Chad Jackson is 16.

Thanks, Orton should not have thrown that ball.

misturanderson
08-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Orton should not have thrown that ball.

He definitely should have thrown that ball, just a little bit farther. It was slightly underthrown, but I think most people are discounting how good a play the 49ers player made on that ball. It wasn't an easy interception.

rastaman
08-16-2009, 09:18 AM

Jake

Well I liked the idea McD allowed Orton to play the entire first half. should this be the same scenario for the remainder 3 games, Orton will definitely get a chance to prove whether he's the ANSWER.

rastaman
08-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Yea, I went back and looked at it and Bly was in good position. Perhaps Stokely was supposed to go underneath Bly. Not sure but as you have been mentioning along with others it was probably more of a miscommunication issue.

Both Orton and Cutler will need to hash out the communications and timing with their new WR's. We will see by week 8 of the regular season which QB has made the adjustment.

Cito Pelon
08-16-2009, 09:24 AM

The 3d INT goes back to Orton's footwork, I think. He looked around well, spotted the guy open, but he didn't set his feet properly and step into the throw, hence the short throw. He's gonna have to settle down in the pocket and get his feet set.

DenverBrit
08-16-2009, 09:27 AM
The 3d INT goes back to Orton's footwork, I think. He looked around well, spotted the guy open, but he didn't set his feet properly and step into the throw, hence the short throw. He's gonna have to settle down in the pocket and get his feet set.

I don't think he's used to an O line that gives him time.....yet. ;D

NYBronco
08-16-2009, 12:03 PM
He definitely should have thrown that ball, just a little bit farther. It was slightly underthrown, but I think most people are discounting how good a play the 49ers player made on that ball. It wasn't an easy interception.

That's fair, a little more on the ball and he would have connected. Either Orton didn't see the defender that intercepted the ball (there was another SF DB in the area in front of him) or the route was off.

NYBronco
08-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Both Orton and Cutler will need to hash out the communications and timing with their new WR's. We will see by week 8 of the regular season which QB has made the adjustment.

Agree, both Orton and Cutler are going through similar team adjustments not only with the WR's but offensive lines, team mates and systems.

BlaK-Argentina
08-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't think he's used to an O line that gives him time.....yet. ;D

I actually think that might be true. I know it's definitely not the same but I play football and the first few games after getting a good Oline (the prior one was absolutely worthless) I still felt uncomfortable back there and scrambled more than I should have.

Maybe he just has to get comfortable with both our line and our WRs. Whatever the case, it's stupid to give up on him after a half of a preseason game like some are doing.

BlaK-Argentina
08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
BTW I'm talking about him not really setting his feet and moving so much while in the pocket. Not his other issues.

DenverBrit
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I actually think that might be true. I know it's definitely not the same but I play football and the first few games after getting a good Oline (the prior one was absolutely worthless) I still felt uncomfortable back there and scrambled more than I should have.

Maybe he just has to get comfortable with both our line and our WRs. Whatever the case, it's stupid to give up on him after a half of a preseason game like some are doing.

He had happy feet during the drive when he didn't need to......old habit from Chicago.

I agree, he needs time to get comfortable with a new scheme, coaches and team mates.

Muddled
08-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I like this take, and I too am not completely certain the default ridicule of it is warranted

lets go Broncos

Broncos4tw
08-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Like I said well before this game, I'd much rather have a team with a few crybabies, whiners, and typical egotistic player issues, who can also kick-ass on the field, rather than a happy bunch of kids who really get along well... and get slaughtered on the field.

Who cares if he is friendly? He isn't a cheerleader, his primary job is QB. But I'm willing to give him another go, let's see if he can get over the ints and make it back into the game. Just stop making pathetic excuses for the guy.

tsiguy96
08-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Like I said well before this game, I'd much rather have a team with a few crybabies, whiners, and typical egotistic player issues, who can also kick-ass on the field, rather than a happy bunch of kids who really get along well... and get slaughtered on the field.

Who cares if he is friendly? He isn't a cheerleader, his primary job is QB. But I'm willing to give him another go, let's see if he can get over the ints and make it back into the game. Just stop making pathetic excuses for the guy.

no ones making excuses, were saying dont call him a loser or anything yet after watching him run only 3 drives.

Popps
08-16-2009, 02:10 PM
BTW I'm talking about him not really setting his feet and moving so much while in the pocket. Not his other issues.

He threw a couple of passes off of his back foot. Cutler did that constantly and it annoys the hell out of me. He needs to correct that and I know McDaniels works with him regularly on footwork.

The article someone posted breaking down his game goes over this stuff pretty well. The writers speculates that he almost looks like he's still thinking through this offense, hence... the technical aspects of his job are suffering. It's like trying to walk and juggle before you learn how to juggle properly. One is going to affect the other.

I described it as him aiming the ball, which is never a good thing. He definitely looks like he's still learning the system.

Let's hope he comes out just firing the ball next week. I'm probably less concerned with the INTs right now than I am his mechanics, demeanor, understanding of the system.

elsid13
08-16-2009, 05:19 PM

I think it was poor throw, by this time with OTAs and camp they should be in-sync with each other. I have strange feeling that he (Orton) will be even more conservative when the season starts.

orange 4 life
08-20-2009, 11:11 AM

Wrong.

The FINAL pick was just a bad throw, though even that one could be debated (no way around it being a bad toss, but indecision could've been a factor) as he seemed unsure whether to go to the short route or the receiver downfield. Either way a bad toss, but still.

The 1st pick was miscommunication. Graham (smartly) broke off his route in the endzone reading zone coverage and Orton continued to lead him. Had Graham finished the route, it's likely an incomplete pass. A bad decision for sure, but one I'll cut him slack on given the fact that it takes time for qb and receiver to get on the same page. If Orton knows Graham is gonna break the route and throws behind him it's a score.

The second pick (and I hate to admit this) was a great play from Bly.
He jumped the route, and Orton was throwing to a spot. Stokley was beaten and Orton should've seen that prior to releasing the ball, but again, bad decision as opposed to bad throw.

The encouraging part was watching him spend SO MUCH time talking with Graham, Royal, and especially Stokley AFTER those plays.

Give them time. Orton looked solid on the out routes (you know, the one's everyone said he couldn't throw) and his throw to Stokley after the 1st INT was damn near perfect and with plenty of zip.

Hey, I'm not saying this guy is the next Elway or even the next Jake Plummer, but I AM saying that he is tough, has a thick skin, and seems to have heart and leadership. Two things we've sorely lacked at that position since #16 departed.

Bronx33
08-20-2009, 11:19 AM
That excuse just isnt going to work.

God forbid somebody try to look on the upside of anything around here.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-20-2009, 11:22 AM
well you are right on the miss communication ...........
Look his first time at game speed with a new team , Some guys can adjust faster then others ....... as for bad throws ? when you run a timing offense with a new quarterback , yeah ............

B-but... lex says that excuse isn't going to work!

vancejohnson82
08-20-2009, 11:27 AM
B-but... lex says that excuse isn't going to work!

what excuses can work this season?

we have no defense?
the game is always on his shoulders?
we have no running game?
the special teams sucks?
too many injuries
it just wasnt our day

or are these just excuses that work for Cutler?

colonelbeef
08-20-2009, 01:20 PM
what excuses can work this season?

we have no defense?
the game is always on his shoulders?
we have no running game?
the special teams sucks?
too many injuries
it just wasnt our day

or are these just excuses that work for Cutler?

If he passes for 4500 yards and 25 tds, I will definitely allow you to use these excuses

hambone13
08-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Good grief

this

orange 4 life
08-20-2009, 03:34 PM
If he passes for 4500 yards and 25 tds, I will definitely allow you to use these excuses

You will?

Personally, I'll look at wins and losses, and I'll look at his ability to lead the team.
Sure, Cutler put up great numbers, and sure, our defense was terrible.
That said, Cutler was a gutless turd. He didn't lead, didn't inspire, sulked on the sideline, ripped his receivers during games, NEVER took accountability after games, and often performed at his worst when we needed him most. Heck, the man (if you can call him that) didn't even show up for his OWN show following the last three weeks of the season! Talk about not facing the music!

Remember that his biggest moment of glory (home against SD) never should've happened.
From goat to hero thanks to easy Ed the ref!