PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels: starters will play at least a half tonight

titan
08-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Heard on KOA radio:

Dave Logan said in his pregame interview with Josh McDaniels that McDaniels said the starters will play at least a half tonight.

Should be interesting

Baba Booey
08-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Good.

Ratboy
08-14-2009, 05:19 PM
They need the practice if they want to be ready for the first regular season game.

BMarsh615
08-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Hopefully nobody gets hurt. McDaniels has been lucky so far with injuries, hopefully it continues.

Hogan11
08-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Gotta get in tune with the new schemes in real gametime situations, so no real surprise.

lex
08-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Its a good idea in theory but the flip side is that if Orton isnt sharp against SF's scrubs, it will add to the naysayers.

Hogan11
08-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Its a good idea in theory but the flip side is that if Orton isnt sharp against SF's scrubs, it will add to the naysayers.

All he really has to do is hand the ball off anyways :rofl:

ward63
08-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Is Harris playing?

Los Broncos
08-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Nice, going to almost like a regular season game.

I'm getting **** faced and ****ing someone up!

frerottenextelway
08-14-2009, 05:42 PM
For gamblers, sounds like a good game to throw some money on then.

TheDave
08-14-2009, 05:44 PM
This is a big risk... Better not lead to any injuries.

CSU Husker
08-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Awesome, I think this only re-enforces the toughness that McDaniels is instilling in our team.

cutthemdown
08-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I thought it was funny when Broncos would not play starters that were obviously not playing well. Shanny would act like he was saving them for something.

Broncos were soft. Here's to watching a whole new team tonight.

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

KevinJames
08-14-2009, 06:04 PM

If Tom Brady played a damn half Kyle Orton sure can...........

its football injuries happen.

jayman_37
08-14-2009, 06:05 PM
I think that this will be good to really build the confidence of the team. Especially on the defensive side. I think Denver plays very well tonight and then Singletary drops his pants midway through the game to fire up the stadium.

cutthemdown
08-14-2009, 06:09 PM

A big risk? The risk would be going into the season not knowing who the real players are. Only like 7-10 Bronco players played well enough last yr to warrant any considerations when it comes to how much they play and practice.

Get em hitting, get em tough, and let's play some real football. Not this pansy ass finesse crap we've been spoon fed the last few yrs.

TheDave
08-14-2009, 06:13 PM
If Tom Brady played a damn half Kyle Orton sure can...........

its football injuries happen.

Wow... deep thought :thumbs:

now take that thought just a little further. The more football you play the more likely you are to get injured.

It would be devastating to loose Clady in a meaningless pre-season game.

TheDave
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
A big risk? The risk would be going into the season not knowing who the real players are. Only like 7-10 Bronco players played well enough last yr to warrant any considerations when it comes to how much they play and practice.

Get em hitting, get em tough, and let's play some real football. Not this pansy ass finesse crap we've been spoon fed the last few yrs.

Some of you are drinking way too much of this "Make 'em tough" kool-aid.

You'll be singing a different tune if we loose someone important before the season even starts.

bronco0608
08-14-2009, 06:17 PM

now take that thought just a little further. The more football you play the more likely you are to get injured.

Then why play them at all? Really, its MEANINGLESS!

Broncobiv
08-14-2009, 06:19 PM
I like it.

The starters play 64 quarters during the regular season. I hardly think playing 2 quarters tonight instead of 1 is going to increase their risk of injury that much at all. Play 'em! Get 'em toughened up!

TheDave
08-14-2009, 06:20 PM

Don't be ridiculous, there is a reason why most coaches only play their starters for a couple of series.

Boss Man
08-14-2009, 06:23 PM

truth.

i takes one play to get injured.

someones not loose enough, first play pulled hammy.

second play cut block blown out knee...

this is ***in football, a physical sport. most of the time an injury is just a freak accident, doesnt matter if you play one down or half the game.

maybe we should just change the name from footbal to futbol, because its turning into a big pussyfest out here...

bronco0608
08-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I say play the starters for a half this game, a half the next game, the whole game after that, then let the scrubs battle it out the fourth game.

The starters need the work.

TheDave
08-14-2009, 06:26 PM
truth.

i takes one play to get injured.

someones not loose enough, first play pulled hammy.

second play cut block blown out knee...

this is ***in football, a physical sport. most of the time an injury is just a freak accident, doesnt matter if you play one down or half the game.

maybe we should just change the name from footbal to futbol, because its turning into a big p***Yfest out here...

Yeah... "Tough" guys don't get injured

CSU Husker
08-14-2009, 06:26 PM
This team needs game experience more than minimizing the risk of injury. Players get hurt in practice all the time, maybe they shouldnt do that either anymore.

Boss Man
08-14-2009, 06:29 PM

no tough guys do get hurt my point was...injuries are going to happen, it is the nature of the game, and its pathetic not to play the game because "someone might get hurt".

with tht mind set injuries happen on the field, when you think about it like "oh gosh i dont want to play tonight i might get hurt" its bound to happen even more...

injuries are a part of this game

elsid13
08-14-2009, 06:32 PM
All he really has to do is hand the ball off anyways :rofl:

Even when there are 8/9 men in the box.

elsid13
08-14-2009, 06:32 PM

You wouldn't understand theDave because you are soft like Pez. :approve:

TheDave
08-14-2009, 06:35 PM
no tough guys do get hurt my point was...injuries are going to happen, it is the nature of the game, and its pathetic not to play the game because "someone might get hurt".

with tht mind set injuries happen on the field, when you think about it like "oh gosh i dont want to play tonight i might get hurt" its bound to happen even more...

injuries are a part of this game

and the teams with the least injuries usually win the most games. So it's a balancing act between getting people ready and keeping them healthy. Going from 2-3 series in a preseason game to 12-15 is a significant increase. It's a much greater risk of getting someone hurt.

I think anything over a quarter in the 1st game is overkill. I think it also tells us just how far behind our guys are.

TheDave
08-14-2009, 06:37 PM
You wouldn't understand theDave because you are soft like Pez. :approve:

No one is pez soft... no one ;D

frerottenextelway
08-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Jftr, I agree with McDipsht's decision here. What's the downside? Somebody suffers a season ending injury? Not like it's going to mess with our playoff chances. The upside is getting closer to mid-season form when the season opens and maybe producing an extra win or two because of it.

maher_tyler
08-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Some of you are drinking way too much of this "Make 'em tough" kool-aid.

You'll be singing a different tune if we loose someone important before the season even starts.

You can't worry about injuries because they will happen...what i worry about is, are they going to start wearing down towards the end of the season and possibly playoffs?? Especially the rooks??

hambone13
08-14-2009, 07:11 PM
You can't worry about injuries because they will happen...what i worry about is, are they going to start wearing down towards the end of the season and possibly playoffs?? Especially the rooks??

LOL, over an extra quarter and a half of extra play during preseason's lack of intensity and their 2nd/3rd/4th team starters? Whatever...

KevinJames
08-14-2009, 07:17 PM

yeah in that case we might as well hold Clady out of contact drills and scrimmages during training camp too^5

ludo21
08-14-2009, 07:30 PM
yeah in that case we might as well hold Clady out of contact drills and scrimmages during training camp too^5

Good idea actually. Clady knows how to play ball, he doesnt need the contact.

TheDave is right as usual. This is a dangerous idea McD. is playing with. Playing another quarter is a risk, and I hope it pays off. Our starters are barely good enough, much less our backups, we cant risk unnecessary injuries.

KevinJames
08-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Its not a dangerous idea its smart

we need to gel and get use to the contact and become a tough team if we want to have a good season.

Shanny failed because we were soft. Period.

elsid13
08-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Its not a dangerous idea its smart

we need to gel and get use to the contact and become a tough team if we want to have a good season.

Shanny failed because we were soft. Period.

How is this smart? There is a reason that 99% of the coaches get their starter out after the first series in first preseason game. Shannahan didn't fail because the Denver Broncos were soft, they failed because they didn't have enough talent on the defense.

maher_tyler
08-14-2009, 07:48 PM
How is this smart? There is a reason that 99% of the coaches get their starter out after the first series in first preseason game. Shannahan didn't fail because the Denver Broncos were soft, they failed because they didn't have enough talent on the defense.

Every preseason game i've watched, the starters played at least 3 series going into the second quarter...

atomicbloke
08-14-2009, 07:49 PM

In that case, Bill Belichick is as dumb as they come....

Cito Pelon
08-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Don't be ridiculous, there is a reason why most coaches only play their starters for a couple of series.

2 series vs. four? Not a big deal. A full half is fine with a new staff, they need to get used to gameday together with the starters. Even with an established team the first game you'll see the starters play 3 or even four series if they're not crisp the first two.

12th man
08-14-2009, 07:57 PM
2 series vs. four? Not a big deal. A full half is fine with a new staff, they need to get used to gameday together with the starters. Even with an established team the first game you'll see the starters play 3 or even four series if they're not crisp the first two.

Exactly. New system, coach, and players....they need as much time on the field as possible. yes, we might be gambling a bit with playing our starters a LITTLE while longer, but IMO playing 2 quarters is not that much. We'll be fine, this is a good idea, relax. Also enjoy...we have been waiting months for Bronco football, and our first preseason game we get to eval, our first team for 2 quarters. what a treat!

Cito Pelon
08-14-2009, 07:59 PM

Hell, even in '97, '98 with a good established team Shanny would play the starters two series, and usually that takes care of the first quarter. So what's the great big deal about two more series? Then, maybe they get to play the 2-minute drill. Not a huge deal.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-14-2009, 08:01 PM
What's the difference in playing a half now and playing long minutes in the 3rd game, like everyone likes to do?

Atwater His Ass
08-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Bad idea imo.