PDA

View Full Version : Raiders

Donk
08-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Oakland Raiders Looking Good?

http://www.raiders.com/home/

SoDak Bronco
08-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Raiders: The good, bad and who knows? (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2627/Raiders--The-good--bad-and-who-knows-.html) http://assets.espn.go.com/profile/i/trans/icon_report_hi.gif (http://myespn.go.com/profile/violation?ou=afcwestadmin&at=7&vid=1250262993575)
August 14, 2009 11:35 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
Let's breakdown the Raiders' 31-10 preseason opening win over visiting Dallas.
The first thing we are going to do is disregard the outcome. While teams always want to win, winning and losing in the preseason doesn't mean a thing. If you don't agree, please refer to the one-season second tenure of Art Shell as the Raiders' coach in 2006. Oakland went 4-1 in the preseason. It went 2-14 in the regular season. OK, winning and losing in the preseason doesn't mean anything.
What is worthwhile in the preseason is the performance of key players and key units. Let's take a look at what worked and what didn't work for the Raiders on Thursday night.
The Good
Chaz Schilens: The second-year receiver (a seventh-round pick in 2008) caught five passes for 52 yards. Schilens has the look of a player who could be a No. 1 receiver very soon. Schilens has had a great camp and he opened more eyes Thursday night.
Darren McFadden: This is the Raiders' best offensive weapon. He ran for 63 yards on four carries, including a 45-yard gain. Oakland needs to revolve the offense around this special player.
Reserve quarterbacks: Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye combined to complete 16 of 28 passes for 241 yards and two touchdowns. No. 2 quarterback Jeff Garcia didn't play because of injury. Gradkowski and Frye are fighting to be the No. 3. This seems like it will be a good battle.
The Bad
Penalties: The Raiders have been one of the least disciplined teams in the NFL over the past several years. It continued against the Cowboys. Oakland committed 14 penalties for 107 yards. The theme of this camp was learning and the Raiders showed they need to work on the fundamentals more.
Stanford Routt: Routt has been competing for the right cornerback job with Chris Johnson. His campaign just took a big hit. Routt was beaten badly by the Cowboys.
Asomugha hurt: Superstar left cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha left the game with a heel injury. It may not be serious, but the last thing the Raiders need to see is their best player leave any game.
Incomplete
JaMarcus Russell: Russell was OK. He completed 6-for-9 passes for 50 yards, but nothing really stood out.
Darrius Heyward Bey: He top pick had one catch for eight yards.
The first-team defense: It was an uneven effort. The Cowboys gained their yardage in a limited role. But it the Oakland defense wasn't destroyed.

Oakland Raiders (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest?tag=oakland raiders)

WoodMan
08-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I saw part of this game last night here in albuquerque. It was more a matter of the Cowgirls looking horrible than the Fade good. 1st preseason, Bah!

SoDak Bronco
08-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Preseason doesn't mean anything...just like tonights game..If we do great, we can't over react, if we do terriblew we can't overreact

bronco militia
08-14-2009, 09:06 AM
the raiders?!?!

bwhahah!

Mr. Elway
08-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I thought the Cowboys looked bad too but I will say the Raiders appeared to be a slightly improved team. I thought Russell looked sharp. Heyward-Bey is going to be a huge bust. McFadden looks dangerous, the key will be containing the big plays with him. I thought the Raiders first team secondary looked good across the field but then again Dallas is not exactly the cream of the crop WR wise. The Dallas secondary were pulling PI calls with double coverage, just giving it away.

If we run the ball effectively and get in the QBs face against a very pedestrian OL it's going to be tough for this year's butt pirates to avoid a sweep at the hands of McDaniel's Broncos.

Gcver2ver3
08-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Preseason doesn't mean anything...just like tonights game..If we do great, we can't over react, if we do terriblew we can't overreact

true, but i'd rather we do well than poorly...

cabronco
08-14-2009, 09:21 AM
One thing the Faiders do appear to have, and thats decent back up Qb's. I know its only one game, but if Russell gets beached, they may be better off.

Mr. Elway
08-14-2009, 09:28 AM

I don't know about you but I plan to drink a few beers and overreact. My dog will leave the room several times and my wife will check on me to see what the hell is wrong. Football season!!

c_lazy_r
08-14-2009, 09:29 AM

Yea...ummm....good luck with that.

fdf
08-14-2009, 09:30 AM

But we will.

SoDak Bronco
08-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Haha I agree I will be pissed if we suck and would question everything...here comes the Cutler threads if he throws a few INTS...I hope Orton plays well, we shall see.

TailgateNut
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
**** the Raiders!

TheReverend
08-14-2009, 10:08 AM
First team scores:

Dallas 7
Oakland 3

TheReverend
08-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Oakland's first unit did look decently sharp though. That's worrisome.

SoDak Bronco
08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I didn't see the game...did McFadden look good? I might take him in my ff draft

glennst
08-14-2009, 10:15 AM
One thing the Faiders do appear to have, and thats decent back up Qb's. I know its only one game, but if Russell gets beached, they may be better off.

LOL I don't know if that was intentional or a freudian slip, but it is hilarious.

Mr. Elway
08-14-2009, 10:15 AM

:~ohyah!:

Mr. Elway
08-14-2009, 10:24 AM

Yes, he looked good. Not sure about his FF value though - he's not going to be the goal line guy, and can he run between the tackles? I see him mostly as a threat on the edge and from screens.

BroncoMan4ever
08-14-2009, 10:26 AM

exactly. the years we won the super bowl, i believe we went a combined 1-7 in the preseason. the Pats always lose in the preseason yet at the end of the year are almost always a contender. preseason is nothing to base the team on.

OABB
08-14-2009, 10:31 AM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha!

Los Broncos
08-14-2009, 10:34 AM
The Raiders always go good in the pre season then comes the regular and they flat out suck.

Los Broncos
08-14-2009, 10:36 AM

He had a real long run and a TD maybe?

Rock Chalk
08-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I for one cannot wait to see the naysayers nitpick everything and the do-gooders praise everything.

Its the best part of football season on the mane.

SoDak Bronco
08-14-2009, 10:37 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha!

your welcome..:welcome:

broncosteven
08-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Oakland's first unit did look decently sharp though. That's worrisome.

Shillenz looked very good at WR.

I don't think their new 1st round Bust caught a ball.

I stopped watching at the end of 1st half it was 10 - 7 Faid. It was 3 - 7 when Russel left, he looked better than last year but still has room to improve. I think if he does improve he could be scarry good.

If Mcfadden can stay healty he is going to be scarry good also.

They still have issues on D and with penalties but if teams underrate them they will pay for it.

TheReverend
08-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Shillenz looked very good at WR.

I don't think their new 1st round Bust caught a ball.

I stopped watching at the end of 1st half it was 10 - 7 Faid. It was 3 - 7 when Russel left, he looked better than last year but still has room to improve. I think if he does improve he could be scarry good.

If Mcfadden can stay healty he is going to be scarry good also.

They still have issues on D and with penalties but if teams underrate them they will pay for it.

Russell had a decent scamper up the sidelines. That actually caused me some concern. Our defense can't tackle a 210lb RB, what will we do against a 2-metric-ton Jamarcus rumbling up field?

underrated29
08-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Oakland Raiders Looking Good?

http://www.raiders.com/home/

YOu know whats awesome. When opposing fans come on to a broncos site to talk smack about the raiders and cowboys game because their team sucks sooo bad.

underrated29
08-14-2009, 11:58 AM
For those of you at broncosforums. you have heard me say this before.

But for those who havent.

Chaz schillens for the faid and Pierre Garcon for the colts are going to be super studs. They are almost Marshall clones and had equal or better shuttle times, broad jump etc than brandon did.

I was screaming for us to pick up one of both of them a couple years ago. To bad, they would come in handy if we do trade brandon.

Rock Chalk
08-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Russell had a decent scamper up the sidelines. That actually caused me some concern. Our defense can't tackle a 210lb RB, what will we do against a 2-metric-ton Jamarcus rumbling up field?

:rofl:

broncosteven
08-14-2009, 12:20 PM
For those of you at broncosforums. you have heard me say this before.

But for those who havent.

Chaz schillens for the faid and Pierre Garcon for the colts are going to be super studs. They are almost Marshall clones and had equal or better shuttle times, broad jump etc than brandon did.

I was screaming for us to pick up one of both of them a couple years ago. To bad, they would come in handy if we do trade brandon.

Did I ever tell you about the time I said we should have picked up Ed Reed instead of Ashlie Lelie?

underrated29
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Did I ever tell you about the time I said we should have picked up Ed Reed instead of Ashlie Lelie?

Oooh, this sounds like a good story. Do tell.

I cant wait......

:popcorn:

broncosteven
08-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Oooh, this sounds like a good story. Do tell.

I cant wait......

:popcorn:

It was a dark and stormy night...

Orange_Beard
08-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Who?

Ugly Duck
08-16-2009, 03:31 PM
it's going to be tough for this year's (Raiders) to avoid a sweep at the hands of McDaniel's Broncos.

Oh hey c'mon now.... we split last season, remember? Oakland was showing improvement in the latter part of the season... beat Denver at PileHigh, ended the season with two wins & knocked Tampa out of the playoffs. Broncos ended the season with three losses & then jettisoned their best player. Did getting rid of Cutler improve your team so much that you now can envision an Oakland sweep?

azbroncfan
08-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Well the Lions were 4-0 last preseason if that means anything.

UberBroncoMan
08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
http://oaklandraiders.stores.yahoo.net/603308070000.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/oaklandraiders_2063_86606762

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!