PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall's Trial??

usndan
08-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks will be the outcome of Brandon Marshall's Trial, which is suppose to conclude today? hmmm...

Denver '78
08-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Expect Goodell's presence to be looming...

cousinal11
08-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Based on the twitter updates by the gal from DP, I don't think yesterday went very well for Brandon.

The victim brought up many other episodes that were not supposed to be discussed, yet Brandon's lawyer's request for a mistrial was shot down by the judge.

BabyTO
08-14-2009, 07:50 AM
"My name is Rasheedah Watley, I am the ex girlfriend of Brandon Marshall. I read in the newspapers that he is in trouble with the league because of me. I will let you know that he never hurt me or hit me, I was pressured by my family to make up certain things [to] get money. I was told to say that Brandon hit me and hurt me so that I could get him to pay to keep me quiet. I want you to know he never did."

Meanwhile, Watley said on cross-examination that her July 2008 letter to Commissioner Roger Goodell, in which she claims that Marshall never harmed her, was written only because Marshall "begged" her to do it.

"It was a mistake," she said while testifying. "I shouldn't have done that. I thought it would help Brandon."

LOL

Dumb b****

He'll be acquitted in a few hours.

yerner
08-14-2009, 07:54 AM
I suspect Brandon will be tossing salad by early next week.

Bronco Boy
08-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Is anyone else surprised the trial went so quickly?

supermanhr9
08-14-2009, 07:57 AM
He's screwed. See if a guy does that kind of thing, changes his mind eight times in a trial, they threaten him with perjury and disregard anythign that comes out of his mouth. However, when a girl does it, they believe her every damn time. I hate that crap.

mr007
08-14-2009, 08:05 AM
I think it will be very difficult to convict Brandon based on the letter send to the commissioner. The fact is, her letter is in writing and expresses that he never touched her.

In a court of law, I would think everything else bears less of a significance than something that was personally written and admitted to. An argument can easily be made about the money side of things, etc.

Now, whether he really did it or not...... I can't say for sure but I'd tend to put the %'s on her being more right than not. Having proof of that is difficult especially in light of her letter.

DenverBrit
08-14-2009, 08:08 AM

I'm surprised it's gone on this long.......it's two liars arguing a misdemeanor battery charge.

tsiguy96
08-14-2009, 08:09 AM
I think it will be very difficult to convict Brandon based on the letter send to the commissioner. The fact is, her letter is in writing and expresses that he never touched her.

In a court of law, I would think everything else bears less of a significance than something that was personally written and admitted to. An argument can easily be made about the money side of things, etc.

Now, whether he really did it or not...... I can't say for sure but I'd tend to put the %'s on her being more right than not. Having proof of that is difficult especially in light of her letter.

they also submitted proof that watley sent marshall multiple letters requesting money in order to keep this out of court.

Hercules Rockefeller
08-14-2009, 08:13 AM

It's a misdemeanor DV trial, there's usually not a lot to these cases.

BabyTO
08-14-2009, 08:14 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/2rrt1g3.jpg

http://www.delfini.ch/blogs/oscar.jpg

supermanhr9
08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Man, if he's guilty I feel bad for her. However, if he's not what a dumb *******************. That's right guys, I just called her something bad

BabyTO
08-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Update from the Post

Just talked to Denver Post teammate Lindsay Jones.

Rasheedah Watley, the star witness in the misdemeanor battery trial of Broncos’ receiver Brandon Marshall, stepped down from the witness stand following 23 minutes of testimony. She testified for nearly 2 hours to finish Thursday’s hearing.

The prosecution presented 7 photos that showed injuries to Watley following two separate incidents involving Marshall. There were five photos from the March 4, 2008 incident at Watley’s apartment that led to the battery chargers against Marshall. The photos showed marks/abrasions to her mouth, forehead and neck. The two photos from an incident in June, 2007 showed a knife wound to her leg and a black eye.

During cross-examination, Harvey Steinberg, Marshall’s attorney, clearly flustered Watley by saying she was presenting these accusations against his client for money. He asked her why after such incidents she would not leave the Atlanta condo that Marshall owned. “”I didn’t think it was fair,” Watley said. “”I was getting beat up and kicked out once again.”

The next witness is a social worker/domestic violence expert called by the defense. The prosecution objected to the witness, but Judge John Mather allowed her.

lol

usndan
08-14-2009, 09:00 AM
I thought I read in the Denver Post yesterday the Jury consisted of 4 women & 2 men..... not good!!! Now I read in todays edition of the Denver Post it looks like in order to find him guilty the prosecution needs a 6-0 vote..... is this correct or does the prosecution need a majority??

cousinal11
08-14-2009, 09:02 AM
I thought I read in the Denver Post yesterday the Jury consisted of 4 women & 2 men..... not good!!! Now I read in todays edition of the Denver Post it looks like in order to find him guilty the prosecution needs a 6-0 vote..... is this correct or does the prosecution need a majority??

Correct.

TailgateNut
08-14-2009, 09:02 AM

4 women and 6 men!

outdoor_miner
08-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Update from the Post

lol

Jeez dude - you do realize that there are actually situations where abused women stay with the abusive man, right? I have no idea if that's true in this case, but it does happen.

usndan
08-14-2009, 09:06 AM
my bad, I apologize.... I thought the statement said 2 men.....

worm
08-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Jeez dude - you do realize that there are actually situations where abused women stay with the abusive man, right? I have no idea if that's true in this case, but it does happen.

Frequently. However I have never heard a reason given by a victim for staying as "I didn’t think it was fair”.

DenverBrit
08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
my bad, I apologize.... I thought the statement said 2 men.....

It did. It's a 6 person jury

outdoor_miner
08-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Frequently. However I have never heard a reason given by a victim for staying as "I didn’t think it was fair”.

I took the quote to mean that she would basically be punished for getting beat up... Not only does she get the abuse, but then she is also kicked out on the street to top it all off. She didn't think that was fair to her. I dunno... I can understand that.

Anyway - I don't know if she's telling the truth. Just didn't like seeing someone make lite of a situation we know nothing about. It is a message board, though. WTF do I expect?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-14-2009, 09:31 AM
The only smoking gun in the case, it seems, is that letter from Watley to Goodell. Well, that, and the letters demanding money from Marshall, threatening this action if he didn't participate.

bronco militia
08-14-2009, 09:41 AM
it sounds like she had it coming

Hercules Rockefeller
08-14-2009, 09:47 AM
I took the quote to mean that she would basically be punished for getting beat up... Not only does she get the abuse, but then she is also kicked out on the street to top it all off. She didn't think that was fair to her. I dunno... I can understand that.

They had broken up though, most people don't continue to live in an ex's place after the breakup.

I'd be shocked if Brandon gets walked though, even with her shakedown letters.

BabyTO
08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Uh yeah. And i think she's a hoodrat making up stories in order to get paid.

SoDak Bronco
08-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I don't think you can say without a doubt he did or didn't...she admitted to biting and poking his eye. They are going to toss this thing out.

missingnumber7
08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Expect Goodell's presence to be looming...

And if Goodell doesn't agree with what the court hands down he will issue a punishment that he deems fitting. I can't believe that the Players Union isn't contesting any of this stuff. Especially the Vick one, but some of his punishments are just plain stupid.

Rock Chalk
08-14-2009, 10:02 AM
1) Of course it has to be unanimous. Its like you people dont know the law.
2) There has to be 0 doubt that Brandon beat this hoodrat for them to convict. The letters to Goodell and the extortion letters provide the doubt necessary. Any juror that actually followed the instructions given to them by the court could in no way convict Brandon here because of the doubt provided by the victim's own written word.
3) Brandon can still get convicted because juror's dont always follow the instructions the court gives to them and convict or not on emotion and gut feeling. If she spins a better web than Brandon and his attorney's have, Brandon is screwed.

I dont know whether he is guilty or not. Legally I dont see how you could convict him though based on the evidence provided.

outdoor_miner
08-14-2009, 10:03 AM

Definitely a possibility. :)

Popps
08-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Anyone remember the last time we talked about Brandon as far as just being a great member of our team?

I don't.

The good thing about this current distraction is that at least it has a foreseeable end, unlike his others.

Popps
08-14-2009, 10:10 AM

Yea, well... they were together for a long time. Suddenly, out of nowhere... she just became a hoodrat? Okee dokee.

How about the other woman he was arrested for slap-fighting with. I'm sure there's a good excuse for that, too.

As long as we never hold Brandon accountable, everything will be O.K... right?

Those bitches probably deserved the beating, anyway.... right Baby TO?

missingnumber7
08-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Anyone remember the last time we talked about Brandon as far as just being a great member of our team?

I don't.

The good thing about this current distraction is that at least it has a foreseeable end, unlike his others.

Personally I haven't ever really thought he had what it takes to be the true #1 because of his dropsies. But the distraction that he brings is also something this team doesn't need.

bombquixote
08-14-2009, 10:14 AM

Stop typing, or you might convince me beyond a doubt that you're an idiot.

Rock Chalk
08-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey, she may have been beaten but anyone who does not believe this chic is a hoodrat is an idiot. That does NOT mean she deserved being beaten IF in fact she was, but it also doesn't make her an absolute angel in the whole mess either.

Garcia Bronco
08-14-2009, 10:24 AM
The only smoking gun in the case, it seems, is that letter from Watley to Goodell. Well, that, and the letters demanding money from Marshall, threatening this action if he didn't participate.

Which is extortion and illegal. IF she sent the letters through the USPS it's a federal crime.

Traveler
08-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Hey, she may have been beaten but anyone who does not believe this chic is a hoodrat is an idiot. That does NOT mean she deserved being beaten IF in fact she was, but it also doesn't make her an absolute angel in the whole mess either.

Seem to remember someone saying the same thing about OJ's ex girlfriend.

Can we stop with the hoodrat references please?

Rock Chalk
08-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Seem to remember someone saying the same thing about OJ's ex girlfriend.

Can we stop with the hoodrat references please?

Im sorry, but she attempted to extort the man.

That makes her guilty of extortion and from waht I can tell of her she is in fact a hoodrat. Again, that does not mean she deserved to be beaten but she absolutely deserves jail time for extortion. Maybe Brandon deserves Jail time too, and if he gets it then justice is served but if SHE does not go to jail no matter what happens to Brandon, there is no justice.

Popps
08-14-2009, 10:35 AM

I she's a "hoodrat" what does that make the guy who dates (and beats) her for years?

Traveler
08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Im sorry, but she attempted to extort the man.

That makes her guilty of extortion and from waht I can tell of her she is in fact a hoodrat. Again, that does not mean she deserved to be beaten but she absolutely deserves jail time for extortion. Maybe Brandon deserves Jail time too, and if he gets it then justice is served but if SHE does not go to jail no matter what happens to Brandon, there is no justice.

Then call her an extortionist. I just hate that term I guess.

While Brandon may have "issues", he's the one on trial here, not Watley. If Brandon acquitted, it's probably best not to press the issue further. Last place any man wants to be is in court. It's lose-lose situation more than 90% of the time.

lazarus4444
08-14-2009, 10:52 AM
She's trying to hit the ghetto lottery.

Brandon shouldn't be beating her.

If a woman continuously makes you angry, dump her, not beat her.

This is what happens when a drama King and drama Queen get together.

The extortion attempt should free him but you never know.

Hopefully Atlanta jury isn't still pissed at us for the 98 superbowl, lol.

BroncoBuff
08-14-2009, 10:57 AM
1) Of course it has to be unanimous. Its like you people dont know the law.
Actually no .... it goes by majority. If 7 of the 12 vote guilty, boom, off to jail.

TailgateNut
08-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Actually no .... it goes by majority. If 7 of the 12 vote guilty, boom, off to jail.

They need 6 out of 10 to convict.

BroncoBuff
08-14-2009, 11:06 AM
There has to be 0 doubt that Brandon beat this hoodrat for them to convict. The letters to Goodell and the extortion letters provide the doubt necessary. Any juror that actually followed the instructions given to them by the court could in no way convict Brandon here because of the doubt provided by the victim's own written word.

I dont know whether he is guilty or not. Legally I dont see how you could convict him though based on the evidence provided.

Seriously though, yes, I don't get it. The letter is such an enormous piece of exculpatory evidence, there must be some very strong evidence on the other side. Medical records, 911 tapes, there must be some compelling evidence for the prosecutor. Either that or a very political and/or publicity-hungry D.A.

bombquixote
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM

I have no idea what she's like, what she did or didn't go through, what she might be going through right now, as we speak, facing a man who may or may not have abused her for years. I don't know enough about her, nor am I quite racist enough, to dismiss her out of hand as a "hoodrat."

She could be scamming. She could be a victim. She could be both. Regardless, when it comes to the court of public opinion, she's screwed because she may take one of the best players away from our beloved Broncos. If she actually was victimized, I admire her courage. She deserves justice. If not, Marshall will be acquitted and we can all move on.

bombquixote
08-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Hopefully Atlanta jury isn't still pissed at us for the 98 superbowl, lol.

And that.

missingnumber7
08-14-2009, 11:13 AM
They need 6 out of 10 to convict.

What happens if the glove doesn't fit?

Hercules Rockefeller
08-14-2009, 11:15 AM

It's not a felony trial, there are 6 jurors

no-pseudo-fan
08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't know what to believe. That being said...I don't think that a jury could say beyond a doubt that he did or didn't do this. So he will probably get off. The letter is to Roger hurts her case as does the letters requesting cash. Bite marks on Brandon's back are not defensive wounds.

We will see...soon.

BroncoMan4ever
08-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Based on the twitter updates by the gal from DP, I don't think yesterday went very well for Brandon.

The victim brought up many other episodes that were not supposed to be discussed, yet Brandon's lawyer's request for a mistrial was shot down by the judge.

i got the opposite feeling. his name got dragged through the mud some more, but his lawyers also brought in the extortion emails the dumb bitch sent to him, and made her look like an idiot making **** up.

Mr. Elway
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Are you sure? I was under the impression that for any criminal trial, a unanimous verdict was required (as depicted in Twelve Angry Men).

I just Googled it and according to my "research" only Oregon and Louisiana allow majority verdicts.

tsiguy96
08-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Are you sure? I was under the impression that for any criminal trial, a unanimous verdict was required (as depicted in Twelve Angry Men).

I just Googled it and according to my "research" only Oregon and Louisiana allow majority verdicts.

in this case, they need all 6 people to vote guilty, or else he is not guilty.

Dexter
08-14-2009, 12:06 PM
It's not a felony trial, there are 6 jurors

This is what I thought I read yesterday. Don't all of them have to be unanimous on a guilty verdict for him to get convicted guilty? So really he just needs 1 person that doesn't think he did anything wrong?

BabyTO
08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Yes

Rock Chalk
08-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Haha way to not know the law :)

elsid13
08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
This is what I thought I read yesterday. Don't all of them have to be unanimous on a guilty verdict for him to get convicted guilty? So really he just needs 1 person that doesn't think he did anything wrong?

Yes and no. If only one person doesn't believe he is guilty there are two options ~ a) the jury stay in the there until they all come to the same verdict or b) the jury goes to the judge and they can not reach a verdict which means the case will be rescheduled with another jury to hear the case.

backup qb
08-14-2009, 12:21 PM
If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-14-2009, 12:28 PM
From the latest update of the DPO blog on the Marshall trial:

"They must reach a 6-0 vote to either acquit or convict Marshall."

BroncoBuff
08-14-2009, 12:28 PM

I was joshing of course. Unanimous verdicts are required for any conviction anywhere in the United States.

Those Oregon and Louisiana must be for infractions, non-criminalized, de-criminalized violations.

Mr. Elway
08-14-2009, 12:31 PM
I was joshing of course. Unanimous verdicts are required for any conviction anywhere in the United States.

Those Oregon and Louisiana must be for infractions, non-criminalized, de-criminalized violations.

Oh! My bad, shoulda known.:mullet1:

Rock Chalk
08-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Yes and no. If only one person doesn't believe he is guilty there are two options ~ a) the jury stay in the there until they all come to the same verdict or b) the jury goes to the judge and they can not reach a verdict which means the case will be rescheduled with another jury to hear the case.

Its called a hung jury. Its why you always go to jury trial and never let a judge decide.

The benefit of getting a jury hung is that it allows for more time to re-prepare your case against the prosecution. Knowing what the prosecution will throw against you is half the battle. The other benefit is, it allows a new jury selection process, which is one of the most important parts of any criminal case. The defendant's attorney did a poor job of not getting one other man on that jury in the first place. The more men he can get on there, the better the odds for Brandon.

Now the drawback to hung juries is it allows the prosecution more time to prepare evidence against you. So either way you taake a risk.

elsid13
08-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Its called a hung jury. Its why you always go to jury trial and never let a judge decide.

The benefit of getting a jury hung is that it allows for more time to re-prepare your case against the prosecution. Knowing what the prosecution will throw against you is half the battle. The other benefit is, it allows a new jury selection process, which is one of the most important parts of any criminal case. The defendant's attorney did a poor job of not getting one other man on that jury in the first place. The more men he can get on there, the better the odds for Brandon.

Now the drawback to hung juries is it allows the prosecution more time to prepare evidence against you. So either way you taake a risk.

I am presuming that the charge was misdemeanor, because I thought Georgia required a 12 "man" jury for all felony cases. But the problem going in front of any jury you never know how they will decided, because they are not bound by the law like a judge is.

Paladin
08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
You really htink them sistahs gonna let that bad boy walk? Where do you think sympathy lies? After all, he beat up a nice looking little girl, just like they were. Money? She was just trying to get what was coming to her. She don't get it, he don't play no more. I have faith in them sistahs........

crowebomber
08-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Per PFT:

Jury deliberating Marshall's fate

Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2009 3:20 PM ET
The four-woman, two-man Georgia jury currently is deliberating the fate (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/14/marshall-trial-update-jury-in-deliberation/) of Broncos (for now) receiver Brandon Marshall.

He faces battery charges, and potentially a lengthy suspension is convicted.

A verdict could come at any time.

So stay tuned.