PDA

View Full Version : The Shanahan tour

HEAV
08-13-2009, 07:51 PM
by Jeff Legwold on August 13, 2009

It certainly doesn’t affect much of what the Broncos are doing these days, but for those wondering when and how Mike Shanahan will return to the NFL, his little summer tour gives some insights.

Shanahan, who has toured some training camps with former defensive coordinator Bob Slowik, is not just visiting friends.

He took a look at the 3-4 defense in New England and Pittsburgh and some of his friends in coaching believe he is ready to use the scheme when he does return to the sideline.

A little irony there in that it is the defense the Broncos will use this season.

He visited Arizona because he believes the Cardinals are the ones pushing the envelope on offense in the league these days.

He may need to find a receiver like Larry Fitzgerald to really make it work, however.

And when Shanahan and Slowik conclude their tour next week, their final stop will be the University of Florida where Shanahan wants to take a look at the Gators’ spread offense.

So he’s clearly studying for his next job. And he clearly has already given a thought or two to what he will do once he gets it.
---------------

Any doubt why he was fired now? He's too close with Slowik.

Meck77
08-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Who?

DenverBrit
08-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Shanny's still on tour with Slowic.

http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/images/uploads/20093early/ball-n-chain-guy_rubberball.jpg

DBroncos4life
08-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I think that Shanny can help make Slowik a good coach. He wants to prove people wrong. A driven Mike Shanahan is a very scary thing for the NFL, unless he is coaching your team.

Arkie
08-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I just hope Josh is half as good as Mike at preparing, sacrificing, learning, detailing, understanding, setting goals, believing, competing, communicating, leading, teaming up, making breaks, risk taking, persevering, succeeding, balancing, among other things...

maher_tyler
08-13-2009, 08:30 PM
I just hope Josh is half as good as Mike at preparing, sacrificing, learning, detailing, understanding, setting goals, believing, competing, communicating, leading, teaming up, making breaks, risk taking, persevering, succeeding, balancing, among other things...

I'm not to worried...

RhymesayersDU
08-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm actually interested to see Slowik coach again.

I'm still on the fence on the issue regarding him. Was it a bad coaching job? Or was it terrible players? Because let's be honest, we had terrible defensive players. On top of Champ being hurt and DJ being hurt.

I've heard opinions on both sides, and it's a chicken/egg deal. I want to see him give it another go.

Florida_Bronco
08-13-2009, 08:42 PM

I'm still on the fence on the issue regarding him. Was it a bad coaching job? Or was it terrible players? Because let's be honest, we had terrible defensive players. On top of Champ being hurt and DJ being hurt.

I've heard opinions on both sides, and it's a chicken/egg deal. I want to see him give it another go.

You mean Slowik's previous failures weren't enough for you?

broncocalijohn
08-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Did you see his stats as coach at Green Bay. I remember Kaylore showing us an article/stats on him and it scared me. Then I saw what he did to our defense. He sucks but I do hope that he coaches elsewhere like KC, SD or Oakland.

Kaylore
08-13-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm convinced that Shanahan is going to demand whoever hires him hire Slowick as well. I think he'll try and prove he was right about Slowick and he'll try and prop him up as a real coordinator. Slowick will only drag him down. Charles Foster Kane and Susan Alexander. ;D

summerdenver
08-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Its also possible that he will hire Slowik as a position coach. Just saying .....

RhymesayersDU
08-13-2009, 09:50 PM
You mean Slowik's previous failures weren't enough for you?

I suppose I'm unaware. How many stops did he have previous?

BroncoBuff
08-13-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm convinced that Shanahan is going to demand whoever hires him hire Slowick as well. I think he'll try and prove he was right about Slowick and he'll try and prop him up as a real coordinator. Slowick will only drag him down. Charles Foster Kane and Susan Alexander. ;D

Stubborn Shanahan trying to prove he was right all along :oyvey:

fdf
08-13-2009, 09:59 PM

I do too. In Oakland, KC or SD.

Merlin
08-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Its also possible that he will hire Slowik as a position coach. Just saying .....
He was pretty good as a CBs coach.

DomCasual
08-13-2009, 10:11 PM

Greg Camarillo had 11 catches for 111 yards against us. That was more catches than he had had in his entire career. It's 3rd and 6, and you're making your CBs line up ten yards off the LOS - again, and again, and again. That's not a lack of talent. That's just stupidity.

KevinJames
08-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Slowik must have saved Shanny's life back when he was the defensive backs coach or something and in return he promised that he would make him the DC and never hire another defensive coach in his place.

Swedish Extrovert
08-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Is Shanahan looking at colleges?

OrangeRising
08-13-2009, 11:45 PM
I read an article a long time ago that indicated the only college job Mike Shanahan would jump at would be the University of Florida position, and Urban Meyer doesn't show any signs that he's leaving anytime soon.

Maybe that's changed, but I doubt it. Shanny is a terrific professional coach. It's his GM and assistant choices that seem to be an issue.

Gort
08-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Greg Camarillo had 11 catches for 111 yards against us. That was more catches than he had had in his entire career. It's 3rd and 6, and you're making your CBs line up ten yards off the LOS - again, and again, and again. That's not a lack of talent. That's just stupidity.

you are correct, sir!

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/images/shandling2.jpg

UberBroncoMan
08-14-2009, 01:36 AM
Shanahan and Slowik went to the University of Florida together... as STUDENTS back in their college days.

They've been butt buddies forever.

ZONA
08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Slowik must have saved Shanny's life back when he was the defensive backs coach or something and in return he promised that he would make him the DC and never hire another defensive coach in his place.

for real, I can't figure this out at all.

Denver '78
08-14-2009, 02:46 AM

I second the motion, although I sincerely hope Messr. McDaniels is as good in all the above and then has the ability to execute on game day.

Broncomutt
08-14-2009, 02:53 AM
:spit:

Rohirrim
08-14-2009, 03:19 AM
If that's what it took to get Slowik out of here, I'm all for it. Have a nice life, Mike.

rastaman
08-14-2009, 06:32 AM

McD is only in his 30's! No way at this stage in his short coaching career can he know or have all those intangibles just mentioned above. However, by the time McD is in his 40's he will have a command of all the intangibles mentioned above. Its a process and it just takes time.

rastaman
08-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Is Shanahan looking at colleges?

Maybe the CU Buffs will hire Shanny to bring their program back to the respectability they enjoyed in the 90s.

rastaman
08-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Stubborn Shanahan trying to prove he was right all along :oyvey:

Wouldn't both Shanny and Slowick visiting different teams and learning new schemes both offensively and defensively show more so that they're trying to learn from their mistakes to become better coaches? Stubborn to me would be Shanny and Slowick not doing anything at all and resting on their laurels.

Shanny will have an entire off season to review why he was fired and what caused him not to get it done the last 3 years; and plans to comeback next season a much better head coach. And as for Slowick, if he's hired in 2010 as a DC under Shanny or as a position coach with another team, he will have learned from his failed coaching strategies of 2008. Your either learn, evolve, change and adjust in the NFL as a coach or you won't be coaching for very long in the NFL.

Mr. Elway
08-14-2009, 07:01 AM
And as for Slowick, if he's hired in 2010 as a DC under Shanny or as a position coach with another team, he will have learned from his failed coaching strategies of 2008.

Yeah and if Nate Webster took some summer linebacking classes maybe he could make another go of it too. At a certain point you just suck, and Bob Slowick has proven that sufficiently.

If Mike insists in bringing in Slow Bob with him to his next job, he has learned nothing, no matter how many new schemes he has.

colonelbeef
08-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Shanahan will come back driven, and he will be successful once again.

Just ask Bill Belichick who he thinks is the best coach in the game.

DenverBrit
08-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Shanahan will come back driven, and he will be successful once again.

Just ask Bill Belichick who he thinks is the best coach in the game.

What else could he say, Shanny owns Belichick.

TheReverend
08-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Shanahan and Slowik went to the University of Florida together... as STUDENTS back in their college days.

They've been butt buddies forever.

No....

Shanny's an Eastern Illini guy, and Slowik played for Delaware... not Florida

They did WORK together for 3 years at Florida from 1980-82, though

ScottXray
08-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Shanahan looking at all the different schemes and SUCCESSFUL teams
tells me he will be back with a vengeance, and realises the game changed. However success is not a given if he installs Slowick as his D-coord again.

Frankly, Slowick has shown an inability to learn. (Insert Einstein quote here.) They may be buddies, but I doubt Slow is a contingent of any Shanny hiring.

Shanny got a lesson in where that leads to at the end of last year. I could see him taking a job and giving Slowit a position job in the secondary. But never as coordinator, unless Shanny wants to fail. Like that will happen.

My bet is he takes the Dallas job after this year. It is almost an analog of what the Broncos were in 95....Basically good team with a few pieces missing...He can exploit that situation the best.

Gort
08-14-2009, 10:59 AM
McD is only in his 30's! No way at this stage in his short coaching career can he know or have all those intangibles just mentioned above. However, by the time McD is in his 40's he will have a command of all the intangibles mentioned above. Its a process and it just takes time.

Werner Heisenberg was 31 when he won a Nobel in physics. so was Dirac. one can be a leader in their field in their 30's. coaches are no exception. who's to say McD hasn't mastered all of the skills necessary to take this franchise back to the SB? unless you're a Cutler or Shanahan nuthugger.... in which case there's no convincing you otherwise.

Gort
08-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Shanahan looking at all the different schemes and SUCCESSFUL teams
tells me he will be back with a vengeance, and realises the game changed. However success is not a given if he installs Slowick as his D-coord again.

Frankly, Slowick has shown an inability to learn. (Insert Einstein quote here.) They may be buddies, but I doubt Slow is a contingent of any Shanny hiring.

Shanny got a lesson in where that leads to at the end of last year. I could see him taking a job and giving Slowit a position job in the secondary. But never as coordinator, unless Shanny wants to fail. Like that will happen.

My bet is he takes the Dallas job after this year. It is almost an analog of what the Broncos were in 95....Basically good team with a few pieces missing...He can exploit that situation the best.

i think Shanny's personality will prevent him from ever having success again in the NFL. he'll want total control over personnel decisions wherever he goes and he'll be back to his same old drafting habits. i don't dislike Shanny, but there's a reason that he and Al Davis butted heads... they are too similar in personality and look how little Al Davis has been able to change along with the game.

HEAV
08-14-2009, 12:02 PM
i think Shanny's personality will prevent him from ever having success again in the NFL. he'll want total control over personnel decisions wherever he goes and he'll be back to his same old drafting habits. i don't dislike Shanny, but there's a reason that he and Al Davis butted heads... they are too similar in personality and look how little Al Davis has been able to change along with the game.

It's the total control factor that will keep him outta Dallas. No way Jerry gives up his power,input and favorite players. Jerry wants to be in on player discussions and trades.

Only way Shanny gets a "Total Control" job is with a team in free fall.

TonyR
08-14-2009, 12:16 PM
A driven Mike Shanahan is a very scary thing for the NFL...

So was he not "driven" for most of the last ten years or is this just perhaps hyperbole?

ScottXray
08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
It's the total control factor that will keep him outta Dallas. No way Jerry gives up his power,input and favorite players. Jerry wants to be in on player discussions and trades.

Only way Shanny gets a "Total Control" job is with a team in free fall.

I don't think Shanny is going to demand total control, if that keeps him out of coaching. Maybe he'll sit ONE more year, but probably he will take a job as head coach , if its with a team that he thinks can be turned around fast and its a general manager he respects.

I think he is just too competitive to sit on the sidelines more than one more year, and he'll "settle" for just HC , as long as he can pick his staff and have player input.

Unfortuately there is one team that might fit that bill if they blow it again this year , and its in Southern Cal and is in the AFC west. It would just be too much of a ripe Plum and it would allow him to try to stick it to 2 owners he has gripes with 2 times a year.

Kind of horrible to wish that that team has a decent year , just so Shanny won't be tempted. Lets hope some other team goes into free fall this year and that its in the NFC.

oubronco
08-14-2009, 12:40 PM

15 yard cushions on 3rd and 1 need I say more :~ohyah!: