PDA

View Full Version : lololol@ article: Matt Cassel Makes Patriots... (from 8/30/2008) [i.e. LAST YEAR]

s0phr0syne
08-13-2009, 03:37 PM
hahaha, Sorry, just stumbled across this article and found it too funny considering what would transpire less than 2 weeks later:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/08/30/matt-cassell-makes-patriots-roster-continues-career-as-backup-t/

Matt Cassel Makes Patriots Roster, Continues Career as Backup to the Stars
Posted Aug 30, 2008 7:32PM
By ADAM GRETZ (RSS FEED)
Filed Under: Patriots, AFC East

The Patriots better make sure Tom Brady is placed in a bubble for the rest of the season, because Matt Cassel has officially made the final 53-man roster as the teams primary backup, according to Mike Reiss at the Boston Globe.

Cassel "won" the job over Matt Gutierrez despite being outplayed, statistically speaking, the entire preseason. Cassel was only 19-of-34 passing and failed to throw a single touchdown pass in the teams four games. By comparison, Guitierrez completed 64% of his passes, threw a pair of touchdowns and put up an 85.6 passer rating (compared to Cassel's 56.6 rating).

I'm sure there's a method to Bill Belichick's madness, I'm just not sure what it is. And that's probably why he has three Super Bowl rings on his fingers and I'm just sitting here commenting on his roster moves.

Cassel, for what it's worth, continues to be the most successful fourth-year NFL quarterback to have never thrown a meaningful pass in college or the NFL. After backing up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart during his entire career at USC, he somehow heard his name called in the NFL draft and has spent the previous three years (and now this year) as a clipboard holder behind Tom Brady. And he's made, probably, over a million dollars for it. Good for him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

!Booya!:peace:

NUB
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Amusing. I still don't get how a guy who never passed in college still gets drafted.

Arkie
08-13-2009, 05:18 PM
What if Matt Gutierrez would've beat out Cassell? Gutierrez could be starting for the Chiefs this year ahahahaa. It looks like anybody can put up good stats at New England. A legend like Elway could probably throw 60 TDs :~ohyah!:

bronco militia
08-13-2009, 09:30 PM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1612/arrowheadlousy.jpg

Bob's your Information Minister
08-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Matt Cassel sucks.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NHFEdh8jjiU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NHFEdh8jjiU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

hookemhess
08-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Amusing. I still don't get how a guy who never passed in college still gets drafted.

The guy played behind two of the best college QBs ever. He probably would have started at most other programs in the country. And given the exposure at USC's pro day, it isn't all that surprising.

broncocalijohn
08-13-2009, 10:08 PM

He didnt get much of a chance at SC because of who was in front of him. That is why they have Senior Bowl and Senior workouts for NFL teams. If Cassel decided to play for UCLA, he would have started for them and excelled.

BroncoMan4ever
08-14-2009, 12:07 AM

i have wondered that myself. i mean look at the dude from Texas Tech this past draft, undrafted and unwanted in the NFL and is now playing in Canada i think, and Cassell, a guy who hadn't played a meaningful snap since high school is drafted into the NFL.

that guy had to have something on Belicheat, Pioli or Kraft to get a job.

Pat Bowlen
08-14-2009, 12:08 AM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1612/arrowheadlousy.jpg
I'd roast marshmallows on it if it ever burned down, but 'lousiest in the NFL' is way off.

Also, this link just goes to show that sometimes a rush to judgment on what a QB is capable can be very premature and wrong.

ton80
08-14-2009, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=s0phr0syne;2504551]hahaha, Sorry, just stumbled across this article and found it too funny considering what would transpire less than 2 weeks later:

yeah ok

Jason in LA
08-14-2009, 12:39 AM
I've said it a number of times. Preseason games mean zero. They are a big waste of time. Positions are won and lost on the practice field in training camp, not in these meaningless preseason games. That's why I never look at these games as a measuring stick for what's going to happen during the season. Nobody is running their real stuff. Hell, Ryan Leaf looked like he was on his way to the HOF after his first preseason.

Jason in LA
08-14-2009, 12:43 AM
He didnt get much of a chance at SC because of who was in front of him. That is why they have Senior Bowl and Senior workouts for NFL teams. If Cassel decided to play for UCLA, he would have started for them and excelled.

Leinert didn't really beat Cassel out for the job at USC. The two pretty much played even in camp, and Pete Carroll pretty much went with the guy that he recruited instead of the guy that was recruited by Paul Hackett before he was fired.

KCStud
08-14-2009, 01:04 AM
It still remains to be seen if Cassel is the real deal, but I will say this. Cassel is one of the hardest working QB's in the league bar none. The guy really wants to be a star.