PDA

View Full Version : Bmarsh's Trial gets Rolling

SoDak Bronco
08-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Brandon Marshall's trial gets rolling

Posted by Mike Florio on August 13, 2009 1:07 PM ET

On the same day that one player has been suspended for past misdeeds learned of a one-year suspension and the same day that another player might follow his reinstatement after a two-year absence with an NFL contract, yet another player faces the possibility of a verdict that could put him out of action for an extended period, too.

Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall is on trial today in Atlanta. He is charged with battery, arising from a March 4, 2008 between Marshall and his former girlfriend, Rasheedah Watley.

Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post is updating the proceedings from the courthouse. A jury of four women and six men has been picked, and as of this posting the Court has recessed for lunch.

If convicted, Marshall could be in line for a lengthy suspension.

But it likely will be difficult for prosecutors to overcome the high standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. As we pointed out in the wake of an ESPN investigative segment regarding Marshall and Watley, the alleged victim has some serious credibility issues.

Her biggest challenge will be to explain away this July 29, 2008 letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell: "My name is Rasheedah Watley, I am the ex girlfriend of Brandon Marshall. I read in the newspapers that he is in trouble with the league because of me. I will let you know that he never hurt me or hit me, I was pressured by my family to make up certain things [to] get money. I was told to say that Brandon hit me and hurt me so that I could get him to pay to keep me quiet. I want you to know he never did."

In other words, "reasonable doubt."

Houshyamama
08-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Good info, I didn't know about the letter she sent. Thanks.

_Oro_
08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Sounds like she wrote it with a gun pointed to her head.

cousinal11
08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
sounds like she wrote it with a gun pointed to her head.

That's exactly what i was thinking.

Pretty convincing letter never the less.

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Sounds like she wrote it with a gun pointed to her head.

Yah, Brandon probably forced her to write it... :thumbs:

Beantown Bronco
08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Classic.

Why did you say he hit you?
My family held a gun to my head and told me I'd get lot's of $ in return.

Why did you write the letter saying it was all a lie?
Brandon held a gun to my head and told me I'd get lot's of $ in return.

Why are you here testifying today?
My attorneys held a gun to my head and told me I'd get lots' of $ in return. These guys aren't cheap you know.

SoDak Bronco
08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13052737

Lindsey Jones from Denver Post is giving a blog updates

mr007
08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Yah, Brandon probably forced her to write it... :thumbs:

Well if he did, good job! JK of course...

SoDak Bronco
08-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Anyone know if this will end by today?

Beantown Bronco
08-13-2009, 10:46 AM

It's a jury trial......so it's anyone's guess.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Likely. Deliberations shouldn't take long in a case like this.

But what do I know? I watch too much TV.

PRBronco
08-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Classic.

My attorneys held a gun to my head and told me I'd get lots' of $ in return. These guys aren't cheap you know.

lol, maybe her lawyer moonlights as Crabtree's agent.

no-pseudo-fan
08-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I think that Brandon has to be very confident, because why take the risk? His lawyers have letters stating that she is trying to blackmail him, and a letter to Roger stating that he didn't hit her and her family is pressuring her to get money.

SoDak Bronco
08-13-2009, 10:51 AM
The people were given the "All rise" command for Judge John Mather just as the Watleys walked in. Judge Mather informed the court this particular misdemeanor trial would take two days, or one day longer than usual.

TailgateNut
08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Classic.

:spit:

Good one Bean!

TailgateNut
08-13-2009, 11:03 AM
That's because BM will have to excuse himself for one day due to his hip problems and various ego injuries.

PRBronco
08-13-2009, 11:17 AM
That's because BM will have to excuse himself for one day due to his hip problems and various ego injuries.

I heard he was seen walking out with all his trial stuff in a box :-O

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
How long is this damn lunch? Did they go to Outback?

TailgateNut
08-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Underground Hotlanta.

Rabb
08-13-2009, 11:33 AM
How long is this damn lunch? Did they go to Outback?

pray it wasn't McDonalds

TailgateNut
08-13-2009, 11:34 AM
pray it wasn't McDonalds

Pray it WAS!

Beantown Bronco
08-13-2009, 11:37 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y3EvCIU7gb8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y3EvCIU7gb8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Cool Breeze
08-13-2009, 02:50 PM
3:15 p.m. The jury has been excused and is to reconvene at 9 a.m. EST tomorrow.

bronclvr
08-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I heard he was seen walking out with all his trial stuff in a box :-O

Was he limping?

Old Dude
08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I already know how this ends.

He gets acquitted, then walks over and punches her and we start all over again.

Houshyamama
08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I already know how this ends.

He gets acquitted, then walks over and punches her and we start all over again.

:rofl:

A dog returning to his vomit and all that...

KevinJames
08-13-2009, 03:05 PM
sounds to be like hes gonna win

and than get a new contract!

_Oro_
08-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Alright its been one hour and 26 minutes since they reconvened. Any news yet?

SoDak Bronco
08-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I hope it goes well...fingers crossed

Kaylore
08-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Classic.

:rofl:

bronclvr
08-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Rasheedah Watley, the star witness in the misdemeanor battery trial of Broncos’ receiver Brandon Marshall, stepped down from the witness stand following 23 minutes of testimony. She testified for nearly 2 hours to finish Thursday’s hearing.

The prosecution presented 7 photos that showed injuries to Watley following two separate incidents involving Marshall. There were five photos from the March 4, 2008 incident at Watley’s apartment that led to the battery chargers against Marshall. The photos showed marks/abrasions to her mouth, forehead and neck. The two photos from an incident in June, 2007 showed a knife wound to her leg and a black eye.

During cross-examination, Harvey Steinberg, Marshall’s attorney, clearly flustered Watley by saying she was presenting these accusations against his client for money. He asked her why after such incidents she would not leave the Atlanta condo that Marshall owned. “”I didn’t think it was fair,” Watley said. “”I was getting beat up and kicked out once again.”

The next witness is a social worker/domestic violence expert called by the defense. The prosecution objected to the

TailgateNut
08-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Rasheedah Watley, the star witness in the misdemeanor battery trial of Broncos’ receiver Brandon Marshall, stepped down from the witness stand following 23 minutes of testimony. She testified for nearly 2 hours to finish Thursday’s hearing.

The prosecution presented 7 photos that showed injuries to Watley following two separate incidents involving Marshall. There were five photos from the March 4, 2008 incident at Watley’s apartment that led to the battery chargers against Marshall. The photos showed marks/abrasions to her mouth, forehead and neck. The two photos from an incident in June, 2007 showed a knife wound to her leg and a black eye.

The next witness is a social worker/domestic violence expert called by the defense. The prosecution objected to the

What a nice guy! Send his woman beating ass to the slammer.

Chris
08-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Wayne Brady did it

bronclvr
08-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Rasheedah Watley, essentially the victim in Brandon Marshall’s misdemeanor battery trial in Atlanta, returned to the stand for another 5 minutes of questioning from defense attorney Harvey Steinberg. Watley was asked about her relationship with Marshall’s mother.
“I felt like everyone in his family knew what he was doing,” Watley said. “”I didn’t understand why they wouldn’t tell him to stop doing this to me.”
Amanda Planchard, director of victims assistance for the Fulton County Solicitor General’s Office, testified for 20 minutes about general domestic violence and cycle of violence.
The prosecution, or state, rested its case at 10:45 a.m. eastern time. Steinberg called his first witness, officer Graves of the Denver police department. Graves was working off-duty at Denver International Airport at a time when Marshall and Watley were making a scene. Graves testified that Watley was the aggressor.
Under cross-examination by the prosecuting attorney, Graves said he did not witness any violent incidents.

_Oro_
08-14-2009, 08:19 AM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/6/4/a/64acafa0e2a71863836642dffdae8306.gif

supermanhr9
08-14-2009, 11:26 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this doesn't sound good for B Marsh

Paladin
08-14-2009, 11:55 AM
4 women, 2 men.

The deal is done.

I think he will get suspended 8 games and maybe 30 days in jail...