PDA

View Full Version : Ayers Gets a talking to from Andra Davis and DJ Williams

IndianaBronco
08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Speaking of lack of a pass rush, the Broncos are counting on their other first-round pick, outside linebacker Robert Ayers, to fill that void. The early returns have not been good as Ayers has admittedly been thinking too much as he attempts to comprehend Nolan's defense. The good news is Ayers is conscientious, plays with a high motor, and seems to have taken to heart the talking-to he received recently from veteran linebackers D.J. Williams and Andra Davis.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/08/12/broncos/index.html?eref=T1#ixzz0O5I79AaD

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-13-2009, 11:26 AM
What? The reports we've gotten from our TC reporters is that Ayers has been playing really well. Not true?

IndianaBronco
08-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I thought he was doing well too. I would normally just write this off as a a national reporter not knowing what is going on, but apparently he has some info indicating DJ and AD felt concerned enough to have a chat with him. Hopefully this lights a fire and he plays well.

Houshyamama
08-13-2009, 11:31 AM
wut?

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2009, 11:32 AM
This is old news...

IndianaBronco
08-13-2009, 11:36 AM
This is old news...

It is...where did you hear this? Do you know when the 'talking to' happened?

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
It is...where did you hear this? Do you know when the 'talking to' happened?

The story was posted right here like two days ago.

TheReverend
08-13-2009, 11:49 AM
They want to make sure he's on board with celebrating tackles that move the chains.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Well if you are going to pick a guy to motivate an under-achieving 1st round draft pick, you can't go wrong with DJ Williams. Maybe we can get Ryan Torrain to biatch out Brandon Marshall for being hurt all the time.

Black59Razor
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
It's going to take Ayers some time, that's just the way it is.

If you want a good comparison for him, look at the transition Pittsburgh OLB LaMarr Woodley had to make coming out of Michigan to the Steelers 3-4.

It took him a year before he really became a contributor, but last year, in year two, he was a legit starter and a playmaker.

I expect a similar deal from Ayers.

He will flash and do some good things as a rookie, but his full arrival is probably a year away.

Lestat
08-13-2009, 12:00 PM
i wouldn't call DJ Williams a underachiever. he's been shifted around a lot and never had a truly set position year to year. he always was and always should have played WLB.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 12:04 PM
i wouldn't call DJ Williams a underachiever. he's been shifted around a lot and never had a truly set position year to year. he always was and always should have played WLB.

Well he has never dealt with a lack of excuses... I'll grant you that. What about the fact that Woodyard was the best linebacker on the team last year?

Rabb
08-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Well if you are going to pick a guy to motivate an under-achieving 1st round draft pick, you can't go wrong with DJ Williams. Maybe we can get Ryan Torrain to biatch out Brandon Marshall for being hurt all the time.

you have to be kidding me, I will pass judgment once he is in the same position for more than one year

that is simply not fair to him

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 12:08 PM
you have to be kidding me, I will pass judgment once he is in the same position for more than one year

that is simply not fair to him

I know... its completely unfair to DJ to expect a man of his size, physical ability, and draft status to be the cornerstone of the defense. Oh yeah, put the better WLB on the bench while we're at it. Wait, put Woodyard at safety instead...

Broncosfreak_56
08-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Well he has never dealt with a lack of excuses... I'll grant you that. What about the fact that Woodyard was the best linebacker on the team last year?

Wasn't DJ leading the league in tackles until he got hurt last year? I agree though that Woodyard really came on last year, but we don't know how much that injury effected DJ.

lex
08-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Who cares if McDaniels can walk away without regrets. Im more worried about my own regrets if this doesnt work out.

Also, I like how Goodman tries to peg Smith as a great nickelback...as in "I dont want him to take my job."

Mr. Elway
08-13-2009, 12:17 PM
If he is conscientious and plays with a high motor, why would he need a "talking to?"

Sounds like media spin to me.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Wasn't DJ leading the league in tackles until he got hurt last year? I agree though that Woodyard really came on last year, but we don't know how much that injury effected DJ.

I know what I saw with my own two eyes... and Woodyard was the best player on the defense. An undrafted rookie free agent, btw...

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
If he is conscientious and plays with a high motor, why would he need a "talking to?"

He might be getting frustrated or something like that and the vets felt he needed some positive reinforcement. Or maybe just the opposite, the vets might think he's not putting forth the effort...

DarkHorse
08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
I know what I saw with my own two eyes... and Woodyard was the best player on the defense. An undrafted rookie free agent, btw...

Which is why you aren't a coach with a professional football team....... ;)

RhymesayersDU
08-13-2009, 12:25 PM
What? The reports we've gotten from our TC reporters is that Ayers has been playing really well. Not true?

On the homer train, everybody plays really well.

Bigdawg26
08-13-2009, 12:30 PM
No Woodyard was not the best man on defense last year. DJ was starting over him for a good reason. DJ was having a pro bowl season until he got hurt and was leading the lead in tackles as a WLB. Woodyard was the best defensive player when the defense was getting gutted by every RB in the league, but I would call that the best play by default. That's like being the smartest kid in the special education class.

DarkHorse
08-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Team is just full of SuperStar rookies right now - gotta love Rookie seasons!

Paladin
08-13-2009, 12:41 PM

I think they were telling him he had to use the ROOKIE toilet. It's lower to the floor, and not as big.......

Rock Chalk
08-13-2009, 12:47 PM

I saw his first practice and he had flashes but the article is true. He seems to be thinking too much. Not entirely uncommon for rookies learning an NFL system either.

However, when he just reacted, you see why Mayock had him as the best defensive player in teh draft.

Ayer's will be fine.

kmartin575
08-13-2009, 12:50 PM
It's going to take Ayers some time, that's just the way it is.

If you want a good comparison for him, look at the transition Pittsburgh OLB LaMarr Woodley had to make coming out of Michigan to the Steelers 3-4.

It took him a year before he really became a contributor, but last year, in year two, he was a legit starter and a playmaker.

I expect a similar deal from Ayers.

He will flash and do some good things as a rookie, but his full arrival is probably a year away.

Or never.

Rock Chalk
08-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Or never.

We're not talking about Dorsey or Hali here douchebag.

Paladin
08-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Poor, poor mullets.

Losers on the field, losers in the stands. Losser mullets posting on other teams' boards to learn about football so they can impress their loser gfs.

They keep reproducing. Gawd, they keep reproducing......

DarkHorse
08-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Poor, poor mullets.

Losers on the field, losers in the stands. Losser mullets posting on other teams' boards to learn about football so they can impress their loser gfs.

......they should have been swallowed.......

kmartin575
08-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Poor, poor mullets.

Feel the same way about you douchebags. Why can't what happened to Darrent Williams happen to the rest of you?

TheReverend
08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Feel the same way about you douchebags. Why can't what happened to Darrent Williams happen to the rest of you?

Yikes.

Hello, overboard. Nice to meet you.

ND Bronco Fan
08-13-2009, 02:53 PM

This is the exact reason why the Mane has lost so many of its quality posters. You better be buried in flip flops and shorts cuz its going to be hot where you are going.

Atwater His Ass
08-13-2009, 03:07 PM

Yep.

Camp reports are nice and all, but for the most part they are written by homers for homers.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 03:19 PM

You stay classy...

meangene
08-13-2009, 03:21 PM
It does not sound to me that the article intends to imply that Ayers is an underachiever at all, or that the camp reports we have been getting are inaccurate. As would be expected, he was hesitating at times because he was thinking instead of just reacting. Sounds to me like the pep talk was just to tell him to relax and just react. Given he was handing it to Clady one on one this week at times I would say he is getting comfortable. Geez!

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 03:31 PM
No Woodyard was not the best man on defense last year. DJ was starting over him for a good reason. DJ was having a pro bowl season until he got hurt and was leading the lead in tackles as a WLB. Woodyard was the best defensive player when the defense was getting gutted by every RB in the league, but I would call that the best play by default. That's like being the smartest kid in the special education class.

This has to be the most repeated phrase on the mane save for the "2k in our system" meme. DJ was having a probowl year... apparently better than Suggs, Porter, and Harrison. When he came back, he sucked. Meanwhile, the only thing going for the defense was first put into that rediculous box safety position, followed by the bench. This, so DJ could stay in the only GD position he apparently can play.. despite the fact he has the size, ability, and now experience to play all three positions. What was his excuse for the biatch effort he gave in the last game of the year?

Inkana7
08-13-2009, 04:35 PM

Oh my dude. If you don't get banned..

Atwater His Ass
08-13-2009, 04:36 PM
This has to be the most repeated phrase on the mane save for the "2k in our system" meme. DJ was having a probowl year... apparently better than Suggs, Porter, and Harrison. When he came back, he sucked. Meanwhile, the only thing going for the defense was first put into that rediculous box safety position, followed by the bench. This, so DJ could stay in the only GD position he apparently can play.. despite the fact he has the size, ability, and now experience to play all three positions. What was his excuse for the biatch effort he gave in the last game of the year?

You don't think DJ is a quaility player or do you think he's just over-hyped by fans?

Gcver2ver3
08-13-2009, 04:37 PM

and i'm sure that'll do it...

nice knowing you...

well not really but whatever...

Mr. Elway
08-13-2009, 04:56 PM

LOL. You try to be cool and troll the thread, and then you get all offended and overreact. What a wanker.

Cool Breeze
08-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Bowe has "Hands of Stone"
Chefs fans have **** for brains

ksBRONCOfan
08-13-2009, 05:09 PM
They want to make sure he's on board with celebrating tackles that move the chains.

Don't forget the art of losing one's helmet.

http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/f/7/d/c/Green_Bay_Packers_94ed.jpg

Mr. Elway
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
They want to make sure he's on board with celebrating tackles that move the chains. ...

Kaylore
08-13-2009, 05:51 PM
There are probably two or three guys at OLB I can think of who came into the league and were "awesome" their rookie year. Ayers had one OTA and missed the first few days of practice. In camp he's flashed but has also appeared lost at times and I expect you'll see plenty of both. He's here and learning and that's what matters.

Kaylore
08-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Woah! Someone has sand in their vagina!

oubronco
08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
what he's not a probowler..........................Damn we're doomed DOOMED I tell you!!!!

oubronco
08-13-2009, 05:55 PM

Dude you are exactly the definition of a FUGGIN DOUCHEBAG!!!!!!

BroncoBuff
08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Speaking of lack of a pass rush, the Broncos are counting on their other first-round pick, outside linebacker Robert Ayers, to fill that void.

Hello? He's not a sack guy, that's not gonna happen. I have no idea why people keep insisting he'll help the pass rush. He had just 3 sacks as a senior, 2 of them against Vanderbilt.

Just because a defensive player is a high draft pick doesn't automatically mean he's a sack guy. Ayers is not ... neither are Aaron Curry or Tyson Jackson. It's not automatic.

Kaylore
08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Hello? He's not a sack guy, that's not gonna happen. I have no idea why people keep insisting he'll help the pass rush. He had just 3 sacks as a senior, 2 of them against Vanderbilt.

Just because a defensive player is a high draft pick doesn't automatically mean he's a sack guy. Ayers is not ... neither are Aaron Curry or Tyson Jackson. It's not automatic.

I actually think Ayers is a sack guy and they're expecting him to be in this defense. I know you're going to point to his lack of sacks at Tennessee but his forte is pass rush and he demonstrated this at the senior bowl. I think if Ayers works out he'll be a 10-12 sack a year guy.

lex
08-13-2009, 06:15 PM

Thats debatable. While he didnt have a lot of sacks, I remember him beating his blocker a lot. He was kind of enigmatic.

BroncoBuff
08-13-2009, 06:15 PM
I actually think Ayers is a sack guy and they're expecting him to be in this defense. I know you're going to point to his lack of sacks at Tennessee but his forte is pass rush and he demonstrated this at the senior bowl. I think if Ayers works out he'll be a 10-12 sack a year guy.I hope so, that'd be great.

orinjkrush
08-13-2009, 06:17 PM
jeez. DJ has earned some slack. he has done what he has been asked to do. and some. I'd go to war with him.

Br0nc0Buster
08-13-2009, 06:49 PM

He led the SEC in tackles for loss and he was a terror at the senior bowl.

I dont know where you get the idea he cant get in the backfield

meangene
08-13-2009, 07:16 PM
He led the SEC in tackles for loss and he was a terror at the senior bowl.

He also led the team in tackles for loss and sacks for two years while playing in a heavy rotation system.

BroncoBuff
08-13-2009, 07:27 PM
He led the SEC in tackles for loss
Where'd you get that? I'd be interested to see ...

Sorry, but that's a really dumb question. I "got the idea" from the fact he had just 3 sacks as a senior, 2 of them against Vanderbilt. Question answered, point conceded.

He'll be an excellent player, hopefully, probably ... but he's not a sack guy. Khan thinks he will be, and I certainly hope so, but I can't imagine what (realistic) data prompts such an assessment, orange-colored glasses do not a sack artist make.

Besides, like I said, you don't have to be a sack guy to make an impact. Aaron Curry and Tyson Jackson are not sack guys either, and they went 3-4.

This seems like a more balanced nutshell:
Pros: Ayers has the length, speed, and natural build to play the 4-3 base defensive end position. He plays with a good base and strength to hold up at the point of attack. Unlike many first round defensive ends, Ayers is a run defender and plays it really well. He does an incredible job using his length and hands to maneuver tackles. Ayers is a multidimensional defensive end that can compete at several positions and techniques.
Cons: He never really developed into a great pass rusher. His first step and suddenness is only average, so has been forced to rely on alternative methods to apply pressure. Ayers doesn't have a great variety of moves and that also made his game predictable. He still doesn't play with consistent leverage and pad level. Low production and one-year wonder stigmas come attached.

BroncoBuff
08-13-2009, 07:29 PM
He also led the team in tackles for loss and sacks for two years while playing in a heavy rotation system.

I'd love to see some data on that .... tfl's are VERY important obviously :thumbs:

Br0nc0Buster
08-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Where'd you get that? I'd be interested to see ...

Sorry, but that's a really dumb question. I "got the idea" from the fact he had just 3 sacks as a senior, 2 of them against Vanderbilt. Question answered, point conceded.

He'll be an excellent player, hopefully, probably ... but he's not a sack guy. Khan thinks he will be, and I certainly hope so, but I can't imagine what (realistic) data prompts such an assessment, orange-colored glasses do not a sack artist make.

Besides, like I said, you don't have to be a sack guy to make an impact. Aaron Curry and Tyson Jackson are not sack guys either, and they went 3-4.

This seems like a more balanced nutshell:
Pros: Ayers has the length, speed, and natural build to play the 4-3 base defensive end position. He plays with a good base and strength to hold up at the point of attack. Unlike many first round defensive ends, Ayers is a run defender and plays it really well. He does an incredible job using his length and hands to maneuver tackles. Ayers is a multidimensional defensive end that can compete at several positions and techniques.
Cons: He never really developed into a great pass rusher. His first step and suddenness is only average, so has been forced to rely on alternative methods to apply pressure. Ayers doesn't have a great variety of moves and that also made his game predictable. He still doesn't play with consistent leverage and pad level. Low production and one-year wonder stigmas come attached.

http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/08stats/confldrs.htm#conf.wi2

Read through that.
I thought I read he led the SEC, he was third in the SEC in tackles for loss with 15.5, only 2.5 behind the leader

He gets into the backfield and disrupts plays.
There were several times he wouldnt record the sack, but his pressure caused the play to break down.

The guy was voted 1st team all SEC for a reason, because his low sack numbers are not indicitive of the pressure he can create.

I dont think he will be a sackmaster like Merriman or Ware, but he has the ability to put pressure on from the edge.

Plus he was destroying linemen at the senior bowl, he erased doubts that he cant be a "sack guy" there

baja
08-13-2009, 08:35 PM

He was peeing in the shower

BroncoBuff
08-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Read through that.
I thought I read he led the SEC, he was third in the SEC in tackles for loss with 15.5, only 2.5 behind the leader
Close enough, point conceded ... great link.

CHECK THIS OUT: Change the "08" in the your link URL to "07", and WWIII and Kenny McKinley are all over the board ... KM #1 in catches and rec yards ... WW #1 in tackles (Jerod Mayo 3rd) :thumbs: http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/07stats/confldrs.htm#conf.wi2

he gets into the backfield and disrupts plays.
There were several times he wouldnt record the sack, but his pressure caused the play to break down.

The guy was voted 1st team all SEC for a reason, because his low sack numbers are not indicitive of the pressure he can create.

I dont think he will be a sackmaster like Merriman or Ware, but he has the ability to put pressure on from the edge.
Okay, I'll buy all this 100% :thumbs:

I think it was Drek or the Rev who pointed out that pressure is an art all itself, independent of sack production. Pressure forces turnovers.

underrated29
08-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Or never.

No way. Kmartin is over here...? Are you the same tarded cheifs fan? Oh please tell me its you. I cant believe you showed up over here.....

I will have to meet you in the smack shack and the rhyme attack threads, if they have them here.

I really should have come to this site sooner.

_____

As for Ayers. I wouldnt say the reports were homerisic sp? is that a word?

I am tough when i evaluate and the main reports were right with what i saw. Ayers looks good when he knows what he has to do. REAL GOOD. But because he is a rook. and missed a lot of time there are moments when he looks really lost.

Of course he needs polishing, and work on the heel thing and other things, but i was impressed with his skills. Dont pass judgement on him being so so or whatever, based off of one SI article.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 09:14 PM
No way. Kmartin is over here...? Are you the same tarded cheifs fan? Oh please tell me its you. I cant believe you showed up over here.....

Was over here... I think someone got the hammer for that little gem of a post.

underrated29
08-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Was over here... I think someone got the hammer for that little gem of a post.

Not surprised. Is that him though. Is he a chefs fan?

That guy was such a tool. He would come up with the dumbest stuff ever at the other site. Although his little gem is way over doing it. Even for him.

Sad though, i would have liked to beat up on him some in the smack room.

watermock
08-13-2009, 09:36 PM

Tue, W/Wood and Larsen in there, we seemed better. I was an EXCELLENT DRAFT, despite Powell and Torain injuries.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Tue, W/Wood and Larsen in there, we seemed better. I was an EXCELLENT DRAFT, despite Powell and Torain injuries.

The team that went on the road to Atlanta and NYJ would have been competitive with any team in the league. Woodyard and Larsen were defensive starters, and Peyton Hillis was the tailback. I'm convinced that the injuries to Hillis and Larsen were the death blow to our season, and ultimately Shanahan's tenure. Taking Woodyard out of the WLB position to placate DJ Williams only made things worse. I would like to have seen how far that team would have gone with WW (WLB), Larsen, and DJ (SLB)... plus a healthy Peyton Hillis. I think we would have made the playoffs, and potentially some noise.

montrose
08-13-2009, 10:16 PM

Winborn and Webster were flushed down the toilet with Shanny - that crap's over.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 10:27 PM
You don't think DJ is a quaility player or do you think he's just over-hyped by fans?

Yes.

DJ has freakish size / atheleticism.. combined with no instincts or intelligence. Considering where he was drafted, I find this irritating... especially when the conversation involves what's fair or unfair to DJ. That dude should be able to play at a high level at any linebacker position. At least he isn't a complete bust, like the majority of our previous first round picks.

tsiguy96
08-13-2009, 10:37 PM
The team that went on the road to Atlanta and NYJ would have been competitive with any team in the league. Woodyard and Larsen were defensive starters, and Peyton Hillis was the tailback. I'm convinced that the injuries to Hillis and Larsen were the death blow to our season, and ultimately Shanahan's tenure. Taking Woodyard out of the WLB position to placate DJ Williams only made things worse. I would like to have seen how far that team would have gone with WW (WLB), Larsen, and DJ (SLB)... plus a healthy Peyton Hillis. I think we would have made the playoffs, and potentially some noise.

i always wondered why shanahan wouldnt let the guys on the field who were obviously producing. we were all screaming last year for him to put the best LBs on the field yet he kept winborn and webster in all year long, it was so annoying and the main reason im happy hes gone (that and offensive red zone problems, i think his system got bypassed in the NFL...)

ward63
08-13-2009, 10:42 PM

You do realize DJ was doing really well until he got hurt and that WW is a pretty solid tackler right? No way I'd move DJ

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 10:44 PM
You do realize DJ was doing really well until he got hurt and that WW is a pretty solid tackler right? No way I'd move DJ

http://www.meikathon.net/roflmao/facepalm.jpg

lex
08-13-2009, 10:44 PM
i always wondered why shanahan wouldnt let the guys on the field who were obviously producing. we were all screaming last year for him to put the best LBs on the field yet he kept winborn and webster in all year long, it was so annoying and the main reason im happy hes gone (that and offensive red zone problems, i think his system got bypassed in the NFL...)

He favored certain vets too much, just like he kept coaches around who had no business being there. Same goes for Sundquist.

The system was as good as anything there is now.

fdf
08-13-2009, 11:51 PM
As for Ayers. I wouldnt say the reports were homerisic sp? is that a word?

The correct usage would be "homeristical" or "homerismic"

Broncos4Life
08-14-2009, 12:10 AM
He gets into the backfield and disrupts plays.

And sometimes this can be even better than a sack. We didnt have a guy that could do that last season. Hell when was the last time we had a guy that did even that? Bertrand Berry, Reggie Hayward? Dumerville has been ok, but not what anyone would call a disrupter.

OrangeRising
08-14-2009, 12:48 AM
This is old news...

It is old, and probably based on early mini-camp performances. SI always seems to be behind the curve these days. Everything I've been reading here and elsewhere would indicate Ayers is progressing ahead of schedule.

tsiguy96
08-14-2009, 12:53 AM
He favored certain vets too much, just like he kept coaches around who had no business being there. Same goes for Sundquist.

The system was as good as anything there is now.

the system has red zone issues, as shown by both broncos and texans scoring tons of yards and few points...

Denver '78
08-14-2009, 03:24 AM

A sense of ardor doesn't necessarily translate into performance. The 'talking to' unfortunately in this context could be interpreted as anything, but as a rookie your definitely prone to make mistakes and im sure these two vets were just trying to mitigate it from happening again - Much like Tracy asking Helton to talk to the 'kids'. So take it with a grain of salt.

cmhargrove
08-14-2009, 06:47 AM
And sometimes this can be even better than a sack. We didnt have a guy that could do that last season. Hell when was the last time we had a guy that did even that? Bertrand Berry, Reggie Hayward? Dumerville has been ok, but not what anyone would call a disrupter.

Trevor was a solid disruptor. He was able to shut down the run, and help pressure the QB. It wasn't all sacks, but it was constant pressure and production.

TheReverend
08-14-2009, 09:23 AM
This page has a good conversation about Ayers from early MARCH:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2319936&highlight=ayers#post2319936

Granted, I do still think he'd be more effective in a 4-3 right away, but we can mix fronts to his comfort level if necessary.

alkemical
08-14-2009, 09:26 AM
This page has a good conversation about Ayers from early MARCH:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2319936&highlight=ayers#post2319936

Granted, I do still think he'd be more effective in a 4-3 right away, but we can mix fronts to his comfort level if necessary.

I think he's gonna be ok. His versatility is going to be a good thing.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-14-2009, 10:16 AM
This part was optomistic, IMO.

Broncos second-string nose guard Chris Baker (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/12329), an undrafted free agent, certainly appears to look and play the part. Baker started his career at Penn State before legal issues led him to Hampton University. He has the natural power to play the nose in a 3-4 defense; he made a number of plays at the practice I attended.

Drek
08-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Ayers is a different sort of cat and people just need to accept that.

I'm sure what DJ and Davis where probably talking to him about was some hesitancy as he tried to read the D, but he'll overcome those issues given time and more familiarity with the system.

We all should approach Ayers' career with the understanding that this is a guy who came into college as a top recruit and struggled early, by most accounts because of a lack of effort. As a result he was moved throughout the front line and got a lot of fundamentals coaching in various roles. Then the last couple years the light came on and he's been a jack of all trades versatile player.

His college career does almost nothing to show what kind of player he might be in the pros. But you can already see that sound base he built up as he rotated through positions in Tennessee, and why even after he started producing he was used in a rotational role at DE and DT.

He's a project for Nolan, Nunnelly, and Martindale but its not in the same was as guys like Suggs, Lawson, etc.. He's got such a broad base of football skills whereas those guys where specialized pass rushers. He'll need coaching to develop all those skills into NFL caliber weapons we can gameplan with, but if he does he'll be one of the more complete LBs in the league. With his raw physical gifts included that will make for an incredibly impressive football player.