PDA

View Full Version : if Bronco fans should be concerned with Kyle Orton's training camp interceptions

Bronco Rob
08-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Mailbag: Practice picks a concern?

Collin from Denver wonders if Bronco fans should be concerned with Kyle Orton's training camp interceptions

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/13/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Hey Woody, what are your thoughts on the picks Kyle Orton threw in the Invesco training camp game last week, and how about the way the fans reacted? I hate to assume anything (and we know what that can make you and me) but do you think the Orton era will end up being one that we would rather forget? Thanks and screw Mariotti; you rule ATH.
-- Collin, Denver

Collin: Orton is not a franchise quarterback. Those picks are typical of his practices. I've seen him now throw 10 or 12 interceptions. Here's a challenge for you: Look at every quarterback on the Broncos' opponents this year and tell me who has the better quarterback. I'll help you.

Here are the teams with the better QBs: Cincinnati, New England, Pittsburgh, New York Giants, Indianapolis Colts, San Diego Chargers (twice), Dallas and Baltimore. The Cleveland Browns, we don't know about Brady Quinn; Kansas City, we don't know about youknowho; Oakland, JaMarcus Russell is not much, but Jeff Garcia, if he plays, is a wash at the worst. Washington, with Jason Campbell, maybe a wash, and Philadelphia has a better QB.

Josh McDaniels says the same things about Orton that we hear Shanahan say about Brian Griese and Dan Reeves say about Steve DeBerg: Smart, has learned the system, efficient, throws a catchable ball (soft) and knows how to hit his short receivers (meaning he can't throw deep), doesn't make mistakes. Griese is a brilliant man. His lack of arm strength, and the interceptions ruined his career in Denver. Steve DeBerg was smart, knew the system, and his career never great.

You should be concerned about the interceptions in training camp. He's not getting the ball to his receivers quick enough,

Kyle Orton goes back to pass during a drill at Denver Broncos training camp at Dove Valley recently. (Andy Cross, The Denver Post)and corners can cheat up because he won't beat them deep. Meanwhile, every receiver in Chicago is praising the quarterback for his ability to throw the ball hard and accurate.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13047901?source=rss

gee...thaaanks woodrow.........

RhymesayersDU
08-13-2009, 09:47 AM
LEAVE KYLE ORTON ALONE!!

YOU'RE LUCKY HE EVEN THROWS FOR YOU BASTARDS!!

(Tee hee)

TheReverend
08-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Obviously Woody hasn't heard that Kyle looks like Tom Brady

BlaK-Argentina
08-13-2009, 09:58 AM
I can't believe the amount of bashing Orton is receiving before even throwing a pass in a real game.

Most of the Orton bashers think we will have a difficult time winning 2 games this year, so we would probably get a new QB next year... right? So what's the problem? :) Let him play I say.

Hotrod
08-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Its obviously more about the pure awesomeness of our DB's then the Orton.

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2009, 10:04 AM
And Woody is NEVER wrong...

theAPAOps5
08-13-2009, 10:05 AM
His deep ball is a concern. Cutler could always fire a rocket. Its his mental capacity that leaves you wanting. Too bad you can't combine the 2 QB's.

kamakazi_kal
08-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Obviously Woody hasn't heard that Kyle looks like Tom Brady

I hear he is tom brady. Ha!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
And cutler was 3-for-40 in deep ball completions. Clearly, we're going to miss that accuracy.

TheDave
08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Its obviously more about the pure awesomeness of our DB's then the Orton.

Let me put it this way...

Thursday night his throws were so off target and floated so badly Bob could of made some of those picks.

Broncoman13
08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
His deep ball is a concern. Cutler could always fire a rocket. Its his mental capacity that leaves you wanting. Too bad you can't combine the 2 QB's.

I dont recall Cutler's long ball being something to smile about?

broncofan2438
08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Man, this makes me pumped for the season

Hotrod
08-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Let me put it this way...

Thursday night his throws were so off target and floated so badly Bob could of made some of those picks.

Could it have been caused by the fear of our pass rush???

kamakazi_kal
08-13-2009, 10:14 AM
he should do good vs. the niners. Their D is not so much better then ours.

TheDave
08-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Could it have been caused by the fear of our pass rush???

No.. You know how they say some QB's can make all the throws.

Well... this one can't. ;D

Hotrod
08-13-2009, 10:17 AM
No.. You know how they say some QB's can make all the throws.

Well... this one can't. ;D

I feel like the kool-aid I've been served is tainted.

TheDave
08-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I feel like the kool-aid I've been served is tainted.

Before the Kool-Aid brigade comes in here let me reiterate... It was just one practice.

But, it was all kinds of ugly.

DenverBrit
08-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Catch 22.

We don't like the ints, but hate the lack of defensive TO's. ???

DarkHorse30
08-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I love that Woody isn't jumping on the bandwagon....I hope he never does, because his mojo is nearly as bad as a Madden cover

bronco militia
08-13-2009, 10:21 AM
:troll:

kamakazi_kal
08-13-2009, 10:22 AM
oh yeahhhh

Br0nc0Buster
08-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Every qb throws picks in camp
Also Orton doesnt have a weak arm, I have no idea where that bull**** came from

outdoor_miner
08-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Here's the thing I don't get... Orton's stats were not that bad last year. He threw 18 td's and 12 int's. That is not a bad ratio. Do people really think he can't match or improve on that? We undoubtedly have a better line than he had in Chicago. Should have at least as good of a running game. McDaniels has proven that he can get a lot out of his QBs via his "system". The only question mark is how long it takes the offense to digest the new system.

So - what is with the doom and gloom? All QBs throw interceptions in training camp. All QBs have weaknesses that they are trying to work out in practice. McDaniels should be a good enough coach to work around those weaknesses when the season starts. I expect Orton to have a pretty good year. Not spectacular, but good enough. People act like we are going to be watching a total disaster on the field. Why?

I get that Jay Cutler is a better quarterback. I'm not someone that is going to try to act like we upgraded at the position. However, I just fail to see the reason for the Orton hate. He is an average NFL qb, who could upgrade to above average in this system. That is good enough, as we build the other phases of our game. He should not be the "bottleneck" to making the playoffs. Super Bowl? Maybe he isn't good enough to get us there. But we have a lot of other things to worry about before thinking of the Broncos as a Super Bowl team.

colonelbeef
08-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Yes, Kyle Orton is a genius. You are ridiculous.

http://bitcast-a.v1.iad1.bitgravity.com/sportelligence/images/blog/58f90fadd607e954f51c0273c864666f.jpg

jhns
08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
I can't believe the amount of bashing Orton is receiving before even throwing a pass in a real game.

Most of the Orton bashers think we will have a difficult time winning 2 games this year, so we would probably get a new QB next year... right? So what's the problem? :) Let him play I say.

This is what I thought after trading jay. I figured we would try for a qb this year and get one next year if we didn't like the ones this year. Then they decided to give away our first next year and took away our chance at any of the early first rounf qbs. I guess they are convinced orton is the man for the job. Let's hope they are right. To me, it looks like we are being run by some people that have no clue what they are doing.

kamakazi_kal
08-13-2009, 10:54 AM

http://bitcast-a.v1.iad1.bitgravity.com/sportelligence/images/blog/58f90fadd607e954f51c0273c864666f.jpg

ha ha look at the timestamp....... was dude tappin the jack at 11am?

Hotrod
08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
ha ha look at the timestamp....... was dude tappin the jack at 11am?

I'm more concerned with the quality of tail our QB is getting. Really Orton you make enough $ to do much better

TheReverend
08-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm more concerned with the quality of tail our QB is getting. Really Orton you make enough $ to do much better

4th round rookie contract... you don't think he actually earned an extension anywhere did you?!?!

Karenin
08-13-2009, 11:08 AM

what does him enjoying some alcohol every now and then have to do with his mental ability, in particular pertaining to his ability to perform as an NFL QB? Many QBs have been notorious drinkers and still played just fine (elway, john). Hell, maybe if you actually had friends and weren't such a miserable prick, you could enjoy alcohol every now and then and realize it doesn't preclude you from living a productive life.

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2009, 11:27 AM
At least Kyle is drinking with some babes. I have not seen the drunken Jay with any hotties hanging on him like my man Kyle.

alkemical
08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

when you are hammered - it's all just p*ssy.

kamakazi_kal
08-13-2009, 11:36 AM
At least Kyle is drinking with some babes. I have not seen the drunken Jay with any hotties hanging on him like my man Kyle.

que the picture with kyle slobbering his pal's knob in that limo.

BlaK-Argentina
08-13-2009, 11:40 AM
when you are hammered - it's all just p*ssy.

Besides, the blonde is pretty hot.

TheReverend
08-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Besides, the blonde is pretty hot.

If you're into tranny's then sure...

Hotrod
08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
if you're into tranny's then sure...

lol

Rock Chalk
08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Im drinking a beer right now.

TheReverend
08-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Im drinking a beer right now.

Are you doing it happily with a girl who looks like her face was recently smashed with a shovel and/or Spider's truck?

Paladin
08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Every qb throws picks in camp
Also Orton doesnt have a weak arm, I have no idea where that bull**** came from

From The Dave. You know, he who loves "he who can not be named".

It is funny as h3ll to me that so many guys here just can't get enought bashing Orton, and he hasb;t played one down yet. Maybe people shoud read the piece by MHR (cited by Kaylore in another thread) before they get all strung out on Ortion and TC picks.

Rock Chalk
08-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Are you doing it happily with a girl who looks like her face was recently smashed with a shovel and/or Spider's truck?

No, IM all alone and happily married to a woman that does not fit that description.

But IF I were single and IF I were hammered, hey, Ive done worse :)

TheReverend
08-13-2009, 11:57 AM
From The Dave. You know, he who loves "he who can not be named".

It is funny as h3ll to me that so many guys here just can't get enought bashing Orton, and he hasb;t played one down yet. Maybe people shoud read the piece by MHR (cited by Kaylore in another thread) before they get all strung out on Ortion and TC picks.

True. He hasb;t played one down yet. We should wait for him to hasb;t play a down.

Hotrod
08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
True. He hasb;t played one down yet. We should wait for him to hasb;t play a down.

I would lol at this but the french guy does not like me and his response would threaten the integrity of this whole thread.

TheReverend
08-13-2009, 12:03 PM
I would lol at this but the french guy does not like me and his response would threaten the integrity of this whole thread.

And we wouldn't want that would we?!

Rock Chalk
08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
There's a frog running around here?

TheReverend
08-13-2009, 12:17 PM
There's a frog running around here?

You didn't notice the smell of wine, cheese, baguettes and utter failure?

Rock Chalk
08-13-2009, 12:34 PM
You didn't notice the smell of wine, cheese, baguettes and utter failure?

I didnt get the SmellCard upgrade on my computer.

Broncos4tw
08-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Orton is an average QB. Get used to it. I resigned myself to this as soon as this lame trade was complete. I said then he was Griese part II. He is simply not a super QB. What I am holding out for is this magical "system" McD is putting together. It has to work. If it doesn't, Orton is hardly going to pick the team up, and carry any games on his shoulders.

I am still baffled why people are so high on both McD and Orton. I'm worried myself, and am hoping this won't end up being a long, tedious season.

bronclvr
08-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Orton is an average QB. Get used to it. I resigned myself to this as soon as this lame trade was complete. I said then he was Griese part II. He is simply not a super QB. What I am holding out for is this magical "system" McD is putting together. It has to work. If it doesn't, Orton is hardly going to pick the team up, and carry any games on his shoulders.

I am still baffled why people are so high on both McD and Orton. I'm worried myself, and am hoping this won't end up being a long, tedious season.

QFT! :thumbsup:

Hotrod
08-13-2009, 03:02 PM

I believe it will infact be a long tedious season that said I still agree with the decission to change course and love the over all direction the team is heading in. I'm sick of undersized DL and LBers and trying to win on speed and finesse.

****ing hit somebody :wiggle: