PDA

View Full Version : How to Watch Preseason Games

Mediator12
08-12-2009, 04:22 PM
After the post I had earlier in the day about how to watch TC situations on the practice field I wanted to get some much more detailed info to those who want it.

I am borrowing this from MHR and this is a very good article on what to look for in the Preseason froma DEN broncos perspective:

How to Watch the Preseason Games -

Let's talk about the mysterious and controversial preseason games. Controversial, because coaches have to weigh the value of getting players ready or evaluated versus injured. Controversial, because the League, networks, and even fans can't agree on issues surrounding ticket prices and revenue for games that "don't count". But mysterious, because we as fans have to balance cheering for our team to win knowing that the team isn't going all out for a win. So what do we watch for?

Here's a guide to watching the preseason games in a manner that allows you to learn about the team, evaluate players, and gauge the team's success moving forward, regardless of what the scoreboard says.

Different coaches approach the preseason differently, but all coaches are a little more vanilla than they would be if the game counted. They aren't going to show every wrinkle of a system. They are also going to call plays to test a team in a situation, even if the situation doesn't exist (such as a two-minute drill at the end of a half even though the team leads, or going for it on fourth down, even though the game condition calls for a punt).

Some coaches, like Mike Shanahan, believe in the school of thought that you "Play a preseason game like you would a regular game." In other words, play to win. Denver fans may be used to winning preseason games, but this may not happen under Josh McDaniels. Shanahan took it easy on the players in camp (compared to most teams), but in the PS he generally called the game the way he might in a regular game. For this reason, he also got a lot more PS wins. Did this count against his ability to evaluate? Not at all. Mike is also a coach that has his mind pretty much made up near the start of camp who is going to be on the roster, so he is ahead of the curve. Still, he'll make some calls to try out scenarios that he wouldn't do if the game counted.

We'll have to see if McDaniels is more concerned with evaluating talent and schemes than pumping up the team early with wins that are (to some degree) "meaningless".

So what do we watch for in a Denver PS game? The coaches are still holding back, and the competitions are more settled than most fans might think, right? Well, there's a lot to watch for. Here's what I'll be watching for if I'm lucky enough to catch a game.

Continued on their site....

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/8/11/984457/mhr-university-preseason-depth

Mr. Elway
08-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Sweet - thanks!

mizzoutigers
08-12-2009, 05:02 PM
now i can enjoy the game

Chris
08-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Message to certain people on this board - Don't freak out if if we lose any (or all) of our preseason games!

NFLBRONCO
08-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Message to certain people on this board - Don't freak out if if we lose any (or all) of our preseason games!

LOL on this board. I just want to see progress in first three games no injuries and see young guys play big. If we win great but, if we don't so be it.

Lolad
08-12-2009, 05:55 PM

Last year it was evident in the preseason that we still couldn't stop the run or pass. Thats the only thing I'll be looking for

~Crash~
08-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Last year it was evident in the preseason that we still couldn't stop the run or pass. Thats the only thing I'll be looking for

that is about it.

Garcia Bronco
08-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Preseason games don't bother me. Sometimes they are on a Friday...with less people there. It makes you kinda appreciate the full blown deal even more.

UberBroncoMan
08-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Gah! I was hoping this was a way to WATCH the game.

DenverBrit
08-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Nicely done by MHR. :thumbsup:

gunns
08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I generally am happy if we "win" a game in the first quarter or when the projected starters are in.

BMarsh615
08-13-2009, 12:52 AM

Actually last year I thought we were going to be good at stopping the run after the preseason. We were 7th in yards allowed and 7th in yards per carry in the preseason.:~ohyah!:

uplink
08-13-2009, 02:34 AM
From what I've read many of the MHR articles are kind of patronizing and overly sensational, including this one.

I think a lot of posters on this board have much deeper insight into football than the MHR articles without the 'let the master show you' attitude. Just my thought for what it is worth.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

ELEVATION
08-13-2009, 04:10 AM
Actually last year I thought we were going to be good at stopping the run after the preseason. We were 7th in yards allowed and 7th in yards per carry in the preseason.:~ohyah!:

we also were doing solid against the run our first 4 games of the reg season against the run untill we went to the 3-4 and got blown up by LJ, it was downhill from there, as players didnt know what the hell was going on.....our pass defense was the start of all our problems last year, the we decided ten yd cushions rushing only 3 DL and horrible safties were the answer.....That KC loss was the start of everything.....

i am willing to bet if we didnt try that mid-season BS and slowik was at least halfway competent. we wouldnt have been ranked as bad as we were against the run.

i dont think its a coincidence that the first thing MCD overhauled was the secondary after watching our first 4 games......and the subsequent damge the rest of the season.

Bob's your Information Minister
08-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Here's my guide:

1. Get all hyped up like it's a regular season game, although in the back of your mind you know it's not so it's a bit like snorting cocaine that you know has a lot of flour in it.

2. Enjoy the **** out of the opening drive because you know the starters are coming out pretty soon.

3. Get really disappointed when the starting offense looks like ****, start to wonder about your team's chances this year.

4. Overreact to one great play, spend the rest of the evening replaying it in your head.

5. Try to feign interest in the second team. Start looking at your watch.

6. Halftime. Look for something good to eat. Post on Chiefsplanet and rip some "sky is falling" a-hole.

7. Return to game. Wonder who half the players are. Laugh at third-string quarterback. Attempt to care. Give mock cheers for big plays thrown in here and there.

8. Wander back into kitchen and look for something to eat.

9. Begin to get very ****ing bored as sixth-string tailback starts living the dream, running dive plays every other down.

10. Fall asleep and dream of the regular season. If anything good happened, wake up in the morning and over hype it on the Mane as proof of your team's awesomeness.

Pat Bowlen
08-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Stick to the kitchen, Bob.

scorpio
08-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Here's my guide:

1. Get all hyped up like it's a regular season game, although in the back of your mind you know it's not so it's a bit like snorting cocaine that you know has a lot of flour in it.

2. Enjoy the **** out of the opening drive because you know the starters are coming out pretty soon.

3. Get really disappointed when the starting offense looks like ****, start to wonder about your team's chances this year.

4. Overreact to one great play, spend the rest of the evening replaying it in your head.

5. Try to feign interest in the second team. Start looking at your watch.

6. Halftime. Look for something good to eat. Post on Chiefsplanet and rip some "sky is falling" a-hole.

7. Return to game. Wonder who half the players are. Laugh at third-string quarterback. Attempt to care. Give mock cheers for big plays thrown in here and there.

8. Wander back into kitchen and look for something to eat.

9. Begin to get very ****ing bored as sixth-string tailback starts living the dream, running dive plays every other down.

10. Fall asleep and dream of the regular season. If anything good happened, wake up in the morning and over hype it on the Mane as proof of your team's awesomeness.

http://imgur.com/5znID.jpg

kent156
08-13-2009, 06:01 AM

I got a feeling mcdaniels will be going for the wins especially after Orton getting booed Thursday night and the game planning the broncos are seem to be putting in. I'm not hearing much of the vanilla game plan being thrown around.

Mediator12
08-13-2009, 06:08 AM
From what I've read many of the MHR articles are kind of patronizing and overly sensational, including this one.

I think a lot of posters on this board have much deeper insight into football than the MHR articles without the 'let the master show you' attitude. Just my thought for what it is worth.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

That is an interesting perception. Hoosier Teacher is a football coach here in Indiana that really knows his stuff. He writes about how a coach views things, rather than a fan. I think that can sometimes come back to haunt you with people thinking you are condescending because they are not on the same perceptions that you are. I know for my first year on the mane everyone thought I was condescending and that was with the old school football posters ;D

What I would say to you, is that most fans think they know what they see to be true as opposed to emotionally detached opinion. It is hard to evaluate something when you allow emotional responses to factor into the analysis. This is what 98% of fans do because they do not know enough about WHAT is going on to seperate performance from the emotional reaction of the outcome of the play. This is a big reason why I watch a TON of football that is not specifically the Broncos. That way I have a baseline of what is going on that is not emotionally biased on outcome. Also, I break down the film after the game and try and disprove what I saw initially in case what I saw was biased by the outcome.

Now, I realize that not everyone can do this amount of study and time commitment. That is why I continue to post here. To try and give people a neutral opinion on what I see after dispassionately analyzing what was said. You can not make everyone happy though if you give an opinion of what you see. I know I antagonize plenty of people who disagree with my analysis or opinion. However, I always try and have an explanation for it that is beyond emotional and philosophical. Then, I hope they want dialogue instead of diatribe ;D

Bronco Boy
08-13-2009, 06:23 AM
How do the cheerleaders look? Are they as hot as last year? (Yes, this is important).

Lol, that's a good one to watch for.

Mediator12
08-13-2009, 06:25 AM
What I wanted to do with this post is for people to realize that TC and Preseason is about getting better for the real games. Sometimes, that includes poor play when you try to do something that is harder than it seems. However, if you never try to do something in pratice that is difficult, you will never develop and get better.

I realize in this culture everyone thinks you can just instantly get better somehow and without failure somewhere. However, the reality is that failure shows you are pushing the limits to get better. Most people fail their first time at doing something new. Lets just realize that as you watch TC and preseason. Its about getting better and prepared for the real deal, not about creating false instant success.....

Mediator12
08-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I knew Posting this would be worthless. Especially when all people care about is comparing Orton's performance versus Cutler's. If your that shortsighted and stupid I am sorry you ever watch a game as complex as football.

TheDave
08-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I knew Posting this would be worthless. Especially when all people care about is comparing Orton's performance versus Cutler's. If your that shortsighted and stupid I am sorry you ever watch a game as complex as football.

Hopefully one day I can be as awsome as the one they call Mediator12... ;)

Mediator12
08-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Hopefully one day I can be as awsome as the one they call Mediator12... ;)

You are, its just in Survivor :thumbsup:

missingnumber7
08-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Preseason for me is a good chance to see some of the younger guys that are around or have been around for a while play. A chance to see late round draft picks and how they stack up against NFL talent. And in all honestly...its a warm up for football season...thats about it.

Rock Chalk
08-16-2009, 12:26 PM
What I wanted to do with this post is for people to realize that TC and Preseason is about getting better for the real games. Sometimes, that includes poor play when you try to do something that is harder than it seems. However, if you never try to do something in pratice that is difficult, you will never develop and get better.

I realize in this culture everyone thinks you can just instantly get better somehow and without failure somewhere. However, the reality is that failure shows you are pushing the limits to get better. Most people fail their first time at doing something new. Lets just realize that as you watch TC and preseason. Its about getting better and prepared for the real deal, not about creating false instant success.....

For the record I have never failed at anything and am teh awesome at everything.

missingnumber7
08-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Thats just because everyone is afraid of being left alone in a room with a sausage and TheDave

TheDave
08-16-2009, 12:32 PM

So what did you think of the game?

QB?

Ofensive line (when not using the ZBS)

Defensive line?

JMO but I think our oline is having a lot of trouble sustaining blocks anytime they move away from their comfort zone. The Dline is still losing way too many 1 on 1 battles... Though I think the switch to the 3-4 will help us mask things much better than last year.

and do not get me started on the QB...

What did you see?

Mediator12
08-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I saw Progress where it needed to be made on Defense. The front seven was not getting pushed back off the LOS every play and the POA was closed after a very short time instead of being a gaping whole. The secondary played very vanilla and was playing not to get beat deep versus playing tight coverage or inside leverage. The LB's were not horrible, but better than last year BY FAR.

On offense, every team I have seen has struggled mightily with their OL chemistry this preseason. That is everyone outside MIN who just pounded INDY's DL last FRI. DEN's was much better than almost anyone else at this point. Orton forced a bunch of bad passes instead of making better decisions, but now is the time to do that when it does not count and can be corrected. Simms was just as I remembered him. Capable, but not spectacular. The WR's looked very solid, in fact far better than any preseason I can remember going back to 2000. The RB's were also pretty solid and deep. Jordan is not spectacular, but solid Depth for short yardage.

That's my initial assessment. They looked like they were seriously throwing them the kitchen sink out there with the playbook, and Orton was doing much more than he should. Simms just found the open players or made sure it was not a TO which was solid, plus the Rollout was excellent to Mckinley. The team looked far and away better than they did just last preseason....

skunk
08-16-2009, 05:08 PM
I saw Progress where it needed to be made on Defense. The front seven was not getting pushed back off the LOS every play and the POA was closed after a very short time instead of being a gaping whole. The secondary played very vanilla and was playing not to get beat deep versus playing tight coverage or inside leverage. The LB's were not horrible, but better than last year BY FAR.

On offense, every team I have seen has struggled mightily with their OL chemistry this preseason. That is everyone outside MIN who just pounded INDY's DL last FRI. DEN's was much better than almost anyone else at this point. Orton forced a bunch of bad passes instead of making better decisions, but now is the time to do that when it does not count and can be corrected. Simms was just as I remembered him. Capable, but not spectacular. The WR's looked very solid, in fact far better than any preseason I can remember going back to 2000. The RB's were also pretty solid and deep. Jordan is not spectacular, but solid Depth for short yardage.

That's my initial assessment. They looked like they were seriously throwing them the kitchen sink out there with the playbook, and Orton was doing much more than he should. Simms just found the open players or made sure it was not a TO which was solid, plus the Rollout was excellent to Mckinley. The team looked far and away better than they did just last preseason....

great analysis now get out

broncosteven
08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Bumping Cutler threads off the main page