PDA

View Full Version : 24's and Oskie's Training Camp Report 8.12.09

24champ
08-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Just to sum up a couple things I have noticed out there. Today was scout day 2, most of it was for our defense. Broncos worked on some special teams. Though I hate to break Montrose's heart...Alphonso didn't look so hot on the returns. He fumbled twice upon catching the ball. Alphonso wasn't too happy about that, however he did have a great pick. I mean he closed in real well on the reciever and snatched the ball. So it was good and bad for Alphonso.

One more thing, I noticed McDaniels had a little "chitchat" with his assistants. He looked a little more animated than usual, you can tell he is getting amped up for the 49ers game. Also saw the GM Xanders out there, he was talking to McDaniels for a while. First time I have seen Xanders out on the field.

Oskie's account of practice.
So it was a pretty laid back day at camp. I saw Jeff (Champ) and grabbed him and drug him down to some shade. It was hot, but in the shade the grass kept you pretty cool. Players were in 'shells' and really did not even 'pop' each other today. I'll run thru some quick notes, but today was a big time install and game plan day and featured more of the red jerseys to simulate the Niners key defenders and offensive players. I'm guessing they were Patrick Willis, Manny Lawson, Justin Smith, and DRE BLY! I think McD may try and target old 32. On offense it was mainly the Frank Gore show, but also had a few other players, Joe Staley and perhaps Michael Robinson? Don't know the Niners well enough to say for sure.

Started with STs. Prater was kicking the ball so far into the endzone that a coach would have to toss the return man a ball so that he could simulate the return and follow his blocking. Every kick was 7 yards or more into the endzone. Dude can kick the **** out of the ball!

Brett Kern and Britton Colquit warmed up on the far field. Lonnie "Bob" Paxton was snapping and he looked pretty bored on STs. That dude gets paid a lot of jack for 7 or 8 plays per game. Good work if you can find it! So anyhow, Colquit was punting the ball maybe 40 yards and Kern was a consistent 50. Colquit's kicks were wobbly and rarely had good hang time. Kern's punts were bombs and some of them were tighter spirals than a John Elway pass. I didn't time the punts but I'd guess that Kern's hangtime was well into the 4.5 range and probably hit the 5's a time or two. The punters then moved over to the field nearest the fans and practiced some against a live rush. Again Kern was bombing the ball. I heard coach Priefer tell Alphonso Smith to take one and let Kenny (McKinley) take two... "Give him the extra reps." They let McKinley run a couple back live vs coverage and he would have had a nice return on the first one and nothing on the 2nd. He has phenomenal burst. I hope to see him return a few punts this year b/c his speed and quickness are fun to watch. On one punt, Kern absolutely destroyed the ball. Probably a 65 yard punt and if I'm lying, I'm dying... 6 seconds of hang time. It traveled about 60 yards and when the helium finally ran out, the ball came down almost at a straight vertical angle. It was such a tight spiral and coming down so quick that Alphonso Smith completely whiffed on the ball. Not like a muffed punt... A SWING AND A MISS! "Kenny, you better let Alphonso take the extra reps", I joked.

In the team drills it was a little difficult to see exactly what was going on. The defenses were designed to allow the offense some success. Brandon Stokley, Eddie Royal, Tony Scheffler, and Kyle Orton all looked great in practice. Stokes is running beautiful routes. Start warming up the crow b/c there ain't no way that dude is getting cut! Scheff had a very nice catch over the middle on what looked to be a checkdown by Orton. A nice touch pass over the LB forced Scheff to extend for the ball, but he was able to keep his feet and would have been able to run for a nice gain even after the 15 yard catch. Vintage Tony Scheffler on that play!!! Love that guy.

On defense it was more of the same. The QBs were a bit wreckless and threw the ball regardless of coverage. The defense got beat a few times but also ended up with a few turnovers as well. DJ Williams broke on a ball in the endzone and was able to intercept it and then turn it up the sideline. On another play, Alphonso Smith was able to swat at a ball and kind of tipped it to himself. He sealed the deal and took off for the return. Wesley Woodyard dropped a pretty easy INT. I yelled at him to get down and give me 10 but he's not a baller like BDawk so no push-ups. It was his second drop of practice too. He may be able to get back into coverage and is around the ball... but that dude is a LB for a reason!!! Hands like frying pans... "Clang clang" is his nickname from now on! McGillycuddy hands of stone or something Something needs to soften those mits.

Today was my first chance to see Knowshon as well. Dude is YOKED! He is thicker than Woodyard that's for sure. Perfect hands and for somebody that isn't a WR, he sure runs some nice routes. He ran a square out designed to lull the safety to sleep (he was split wide). Started slowly in motion then a slight jog to the inside and a lightening quick inside to outside cut that left the defender wondering what the hell just happened to him. Orton through the ball to Gaffney in the endzone (for the TD) and Knowshon ran out of bounds by the crowd and did a little dance and said I was open. His head is completely shaved now btw.

Also, McBath was running with the first team nickel. Not sure where Bruton fits in as I didn't see too much of him today on defense.

That's pretty much all there was for camp. Pretty boring and I didn't stick around for autographs even.

BroncoDoug
08-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Nice reports guys

Chris
08-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys.

Broncoman13
08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
I saw all of that in less than 3 minutes that I was there!

elsid13
08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I saw all of that in less than 3 minutes that I was there!

It would have been far better if you hadn't spent 2 1/2 minutes plotting the ultimate internet revenge against broncosteven.

tnedator
08-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Today was my first chance to see Knowshon as well. Dude is YOKED! He is thicker than Woodyard that's for sure. Perfect hands and for somebody that isn't a WR, he sure runs some nice routes. He ran a square out designed to lull the safety to sleep (he was split wide). Started slowly in motion then a slight jog to the inside and a lightening quick inside to outside cut that left the defender wondering what the hell just happened to him. Orton through the ball to Gaffney in the endzone (for the TD) and Knowshon ran out of bounds by the crowd and did a little dance and said I was open. His head is completely shaved now btw.

The draft scouting reports on him said that he could be a three down back his rookie year, because he both could pass block and catch the ball better than most college backs entering the draft.

If he is that good a receiver, than having him and Hillis could be great weapons. Either you guys or one of ours that has posted some reports, talked about seeing Hillis and Buckhalter in a two back set and both motioning out of the back field, it sounds like Hillis and Moreno will be even more dangerous with formations like that.

24champ
08-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah Knowshon has great hands...he makes it all look so easy.

Orton has a lot of weapons around him and a great line. He can't **** this up.

oubronco
08-12-2009, 05:18 PM
thanks you guys have been the best without you giving reports we wouldn't know jack

Rickity
08-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys. Good read.

broncogary
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
thanks you guys have been the best without you giving reports we wouldn't know jack

That's JMFW to you. Ha!

Irish Stout
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Oskie that was a hell of an entertaining write up. And I also thought that it was objective. You stated facts like they were facts, but you wrote with flare so it was entertaining. Thanks a lot man!

Champ - what do you mean by "chit chat"? Was someone getting their arse on a platter for a screw up?

24champ
08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Champ - what do you mean by "chit chat"? Was someone getting their arse on a platter for a screw up?

No, this was during stretches. He looked semi-animated before the drills, to me it looked like he was making sure things run smoothly for practice today. I think it's also a result of him being amped about the game on Friday.

bronco610
08-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Great report !!! Thanks Guys !!

worm
08-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Orton to Gaffney for a TD seems to be happening a lot in TC.

Is it the same play or is Gaffney just getting open a lot \ Orton locking on him?

Broncoman13
08-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Orton to Gaffney for a TD seems to be happening a lot in TC.

Is it the same play or is Gaffney just getting open a lot \ Orton locking on him?

Gaffney and Stokes get often A LOT and they are running a lot of the shorter routes. Guys like Royal, CJax, and McKinley run the deeper routes more often. Brandon Lloyd is a pretty steady mix. Great at running that intermediate out (15 yards).

Los Broncos
08-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks Champ good stuff.

maher_tyler
08-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Good reports! Keep up the hard work, thanks!!

montrose
08-12-2009, 09:05 PM
My Updated Pre-49ers Game Final 53-man Roster Prediction
(3) QB: Orton, Simms, Brandstater
(4) RB: Moreno, Hillis, Buckhalter, Jordan
(6) WR: Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Stokley, Lloyd, McKinley
(3) TE: Graham, Scheffler, Quinn
(9) OL: Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Lichtensteiger, Olsen, Gorin
(7) DL: McBean, Fields, Peterson, Thomas, Baker, Powell, Askew
(9) LB: Reid, Davis, D.Williams, Dumervil, Ayers, Woodyard, Larsen, Crowder, Haggan
(9) DB: Bailey, Goodman, Dawkins, Hill, Smith, J.Williams, Bruton, McBath, Barrett
(3) ST: Prater, Kern, Paxton

worm
08-12-2009, 09:16 PM
(9) OL: Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Lichtensteiger, Olsen, Gorin
(9) LB: Reid, Davis, D.Williams, Dumervil, Ayers, Woodyard, Larsen, Crowder, Haggan
(9) DB: Bailey, Goodman, Dawkins, Hill, Smith, J.Williams, Bruton, McBath, Barrett

I am really happy with 5 out of 9 of those lines. :)

Irish Stout
08-12-2009, 09:35 PM

You really think they'll keep 3 QBs Montrose?

McDman
08-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Oskie, why do you hate Broncosteven so much? Is he just an ass?

GoHAM
08-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all of the great reports guys!!

My question to you or anybody that's been to TC, how has Renaldo Hill been looking?

I can't recall him being mentioned that much in any of the reports, aside from him being TFTP at the start of camp.

Just curious.

Thanks again for the reports.

montrose
08-12-2009, 10:49 PM
You really think they'll keep 3 QBs Montrose?

I'm on the fence about it. I could see us trying to sneak Tom on the PS and if someone else claims him - cutting another player to keep him. One way or another, I expect him to a Bronco this season.

Broncoman13
08-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Thanks for all of the great reports guys!!

My question to you or anybody that's been to TC, how has Renaldo Hill been looking?

I can't recall him being mentioned that much in any of the reports, aside from him being TFTP at the start of camp.

Just curious.

Thanks again for the reports.

Hill hasn't made any mistakes that I've seen this entire camp. Obviously he has, but he's not standing out as somebody that is out of position a lot and not fit to be the starter. I think he is an upgrade but probably not going to make a ton of plays... just somebody that will be in the right position and will force the opposition to think twice about throwing his way. IMO, his field awareness is outstanding but his physical ability isn't quite as good.

kent156
08-13-2009, 06:50 AM
It seems Barrett is slowing down after starting off fast. I see bruton and him as being a similar player with bruton having more to offer playing better special teams. Barrett needs a good preseason to stay i think

TonyR
08-13-2009, 06:58 AM
I could see us trying to sneak Tom on the PS and if someone else claims him - cutting another player to keep him.

That's what I was thinking. I'd prefer to keep a bubble player who might contribute (Moss or perhaps a 5th RB) than a project QB on the roster if at all possible.

dbfan21
08-13-2009, 07:01 AM
I am excited to see Knowshon in action. Seems like he came in and started making his presence known. Shedding tacklers, running hard, shoiwing quickness and burst, running nice routes and making catches!

Tomorrow night baby!!

ColoradoBuff
08-13-2009, 08:16 AM

IF they only keep 2 QB's active.....who was your last person to be cut to make it now? I personally think they keep 7 WR's if they are going to be running alot of 3 WR sets. Good job Montrose!

montrose
08-13-2009, 09:26 AM
IF they only keep 2 QB's active.....who was your last person to be cut to make it now? I personally think they keep 7 WR's if they are going to be running alot of 3 WR sets. Good job Montrose!

Maybe Chad Jackson, Josh Bell or Nic Clemons.