PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Torain Gone!

prunch
08-12-2009, 03:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/12/broncos-drop-ryan-torain-as-moreno-rises/

Once compared to Terrell Davis by Mike Shanahan, running back Ryan Torain's Broncos career likely ended Wednesday when the team placed him on the waived/injured list.

Torain was viewed as a possible starter in Denver last year, but a dislocated elbow and a torn ACL limited him to two games, one of which he started.

He was one of the early stories of training camp, showing surprising explosiveness. But a strained knee ligament suffered Wednesday sealed his fate. (The fact Josh McDaniels signed half of the available free agent running backs this offseason didn't help.)

As one Denver back leaves, the team's future at the position is making a big first impression.

First-round pick Knowshon Moreno is reportedly expected to start Denver's preseason opener despite his lengthy holdout.

DenverBrit
08-12-2009, 03:27 PM
What a shame, Torain looked like a good prospect, though fragile.

I wish him good luck.

Broncoman13
08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
He'll end up in Houston as the thunder to Slaton's lightning and do great things!

Paladin
08-12-2009, 03:33 PM
What did you expect? They have a talented, tough guy in place now and a couple of vets who've been in the games, and Torain is a gfagile guy. No brainer.

I am sorry for him, but the team has to move on......

24champ
08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
****! ****! ****!

BroncoDoug
08-12-2009, 04:00 PM
So knowshon is going to start friday?

Bronx33
08-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Don't fear JMcD will put him on hold at the mall kiosk until somebody gets injured.

elsid13
08-12-2009, 04:05 PM
To bad, the kid has talent. And people don't understand why the guys try to get as much money as they can as soon as they can.

azbroncfan
08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
His pro career was like his college career. A ton of talent and potential but can't kick the injury bug or injury prone label. Best luck to him in whatever is for him now.

MVP-06
08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
He'll end up in Houston as the thunder to Slaton's lightning and do great things!

:rofl:

The last word I think of Torrain is Thunder

Mediator12
08-12-2009, 04:25 PM
To bad, the kid has talent. And people don't understand why the guys try to get as much money as they can as soon as they can.

Oh, I understand why they TRY, I just do not think its reasonable in any way shape or form. No profession is more about the here and now in performance than the NFL.....

elsid13
08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Oh, I understand why they TRY, I just do not think its reasonable in any way shape or form. No profession is more about the here and now in performance than the NFL.....

I guess we disagree on this. I have no problem with someone attempting to get as much money as they can before they sign. We both know that average "lifespan" of running back is less then 3 years, so if they can leverage themselves/performance for a bigger pay, I am not going to get to overly critical of it. It suck from fan's point of view, but it is a business first and foremost with short time frame for they guys to get paid.

Taco John
08-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I think the guy looked like a fumble or an injury waiting to happen on any given play. He doesn't have a very fluid running style, to say the least.

DarkHorse
08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
i think the guy looked like a fumble or an injury waiting to happen on any given play. He doesn't have a very fluid running style, to say the least.

^5

Garcia Bronco
08-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Good Luck Ryan.

Rock Chalk
08-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Shocking!

BroncoBuff
08-12-2009, 05:14 PM
I bet he gets another shot somewhere.

Garcia Bronco

I hear you but in this case this guy didn't cut NFL mustard. I hope he took advantage of that education.

Rock Chalk

I'll take that bet.

BroncoBuff
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Marcus B. Thomas already climbing up the depth chart :strong:

BroncoBuff
08-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I'll take that bet.

All I said was he'll get "another shot."

Your bet would have to be he never gets signed anywhere. You want that bet?

Drunk Monkey
08-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Cowboys 2010 with Shannahan at the helm

Mediator12
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I guess we disagree on this. I have no problem with someone attempting to get as much money as they can before they sign. We both know that average "lifespan" of running back is less then 3 years, so if they can leverage themselves/performance for a bigger pay, I am not going to get to overly critical of it. It suck from fan's point of view, but it is a business first and foremost with short time frame for they guys to get paid.

Again, I see why they would want to get paid elsid13 because of the shorter NFL lifespan and RB's are actually shorter than the 3.2 year NFL average. I just do not see how that is relevant in them actually getting gauranteed money when they have never performed at this level yet. Just because they want something is NOT a factor in getting it done. The teams want them in camp on time to learn and get prepared, but the players want to apply that as leverage for more gauranteed money. They forget that they hurt the team and their teammates by holding out and not being as prepared as they need to be. Its leverage or extortion depending on your perspective.

Plus, Football is a job where you have to be healthy to perform your duties at all. If you are not, you can not help your employer get the job done. You get paid to do nothing, and you get paid a lot to do nothing. Actually, you get paid to rehab too. That creates a one sided risk for the team who drafts them. People often forget the risk/reward ratio in the draft and draft payscale discussions. The gauranteed money is a one sided risk that can not be bought out of either. You give it and it is gone and affects the salary cap for several years usually as well.

So, I see why they want the money as their career could be over before it ever begins. However, that is an occupational hazard to be employed in the NFL. Just because they want assurances does not mean they SHOULD get them ;D

Mediator12
08-12-2009, 05:29 PM

You seriously think the deepest team in the NFL at RB would give him a shot :welcome:

Marion Barber, Felix Jones, and Tashard Choice are all better RB's with NFL experience ahead of him to start....

lex
08-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Again, I see why they would want to get paid elsid13 because of the shorter NFL lifespan and RB's are actually shorter than the 3.2 year NFL average. I just do not see how that is relevant in them actually getting gauranteed money when they have never performed at this level yet. Just because they want something is NOT a factor in getting it done. The teams want them in camp on time to learn and get prepared, but the players want to apply that as leverage for more gauranteed money. They forget that they hurt the team and their teammates by holding out and not being as prepared as they need to be. Its leverage or extortion depending on your perspective.

Plus, Football is a job where you have to be healthy to perform your duties at all. If you are not, you can not help your employer get the job done. You get paid to do nothing, and you get paid a lot to do nothing. Actually, you get paid to rehab too. That creates a one sided risk for the team who drafts them. People often forget the risk/reward ratio in the draft and draft payscale discussions. The gauranteed money is a one sided risk that can not be bought out of either. You give it and it is gone and affects the salary cap for several years usually as well.

So, I see why they want the money as their career could be over before it ever begins. However, that is an occupational hazard to be employed in the NFL. Just because they want assurances does not mean they SHOULD get them ;D

Not to take away from your point but that number is not injury. RBs who are back ups seldom stick around as long as, say, QBs (that need to learn the game). Id be curious to know what it is for RBs that get more significant playing time.

Drunk Monkey
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
You seriously think the deepest team in the NFL at RB would give him a shot :welcome:

Marion Barber, Felix Jones, and Tashard Choice are all better RB's with NFL experience ahead of him to start....

I think Shanahan would give him a shot. Training cap at least. I think 95% of the backs in the NFL are better than Torain, no fan here, but you do need some camp fodder.

Mediator12
08-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Not to take away from your point but that number is not injury. RBs who are back ups seldom stick around as long as, say, QBs (that need to learn the game). Id be curious to know what it is for RBs that get more significant playing time.

No, its not injury. It is based on making a team and being on the Active 53 man Roster One NFL game. If you do that as a RB, you survive 2.9 years as an active NFL player......

There are numbers that correct for injury, but I am not sure they are public. If they are, I will post them. However, that's not a project I wnat to undertake anytime soon ROFL!

lex
08-12-2009, 05:48 PM
No, its not injury. It is based on making a team and being on the Active 53 man Roster One NFL game. If you do that as a RB, you survive 2.9 years as an active NFL player......

There are numbers that correct for injury, but I am not sure they are public. If they are, I will post them. However, that's not a project I wnat to undertake anytime soon ROFL!

I meant to say its not all injury...meaning that its a top level number that doesnt drill down into injury vs. other attrition.

Popps
08-12-2009, 05:56 PM
No surprise here. Never expected to see him play another down in Denver. Was never all that impressed with him, and he's clearly a fragile guy and damaged goods. Best of luck to him, but we've got other, better options.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-12-2009, 06:22 PM
So long, tough guy....

broncofan7
08-12-2009, 06:25 PM

The funny thing is--Choice is the most complete of the 3--catching, running and blocking-yet he is the least well known of the 3-his performance against BAL last year in the final game @ TX stadium was amazing--you don't run like that against the Ravens too often

BroncoMan4ever
08-12-2009, 06:25 PM
i called it that he would never take another snap in a denver uniform.

thank god he is gone, now if we could dump the turd on defense known as Moss i will be ecstatic.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-12-2009, 06:29 PM
thank god he is gone, now if we could dump the turd on defense known as Moss i will be ecstatic.

I totally called that the sun would rise in the morning to light and heat the earth. I'm awesome.

oldustyballs
08-12-2009, 06:54 PM
I totally called that the sun would rise in the morning to light and heat the earth. I'm awesome.

Pics or it didnt happen

footstepsfrom#27
08-12-2009, 07:01 PM
He's got to be the most injury prone player I've seen in years.

OBF1
08-12-2009, 07:39 PM

These guys all get a free ticket for an education.... Maybe they shoud take it serious and graduate.

montrose
08-12-2009, 07:59 PM
LaMont Jordan is smiling.

TheDave
08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
If his fate wasn't sealed when we hired McDaniels it certainly was when we drafted Moreno... Best of luck to him.

broncocalijohn
08-12-2009, 08:48 PM

why wouldnt he not? It is free to bring him into a camp and try him out. The question should be if he gets a contract. I believe so but this injury doesnt help his cause. No fear though, Hillis is here!

BroncoMan4ever
08-12-2009, 09:15 PM
why wouldnt he not? It is free to bring him into a camp and try him out. The question should be if he gets a contract. I believe so but this injury doesnt help his cause. No fear though, Hillis is here!

that brings up an interesting thought. i mean even though i am glad he is gone, it raises a thought. it just seems that Moreno, Buck and Hillis have shown that they deserve the bulk of the carries and there was no point in even giving Torain a shot. i mean we haven't even hit preseason, a lot of the camp reports have been praising how good Torain has looked and we just cut ties with him. i tend to feel that there was more than just injury concern in his release.

azbroncfan
08-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Florida Bronco will be here soon to argue against that. I agree I watched him at ASU and watched him for his 10 carry career. You could see with the high upright running style he was a tackling dummy waiting for the D to tee off on and his injury prone history didn't bode well.

Meck77
08-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Should we bump some old camp reports about Torain?;)

bcbronc
08-12-2009, 10:44 PM

really? it's no big wup that he got cut and not really a surprise, but "thank god"? he had a pretty insignificant Bronco career, I don't get the jubilation in seeing him get cut? was he taking hot tub time away from your favourite player or something?

Florida_Bronco
08-12-2009, 10:46 PM
really? it's no big wup that he got cut and not really a surprise, but "thank god"? he had a pretty insignificant Bronco career, I don't get the jubilation in seeing him get cut? was he taking hot tub time away from your favourite player or something?

My thoughts exactly.

ScottXray
08-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, I guess McD doesn't think he should put him on the PUP list, and just cut ties. Remember how we all were waiting for Torain to come off that list last year and how he was gonna tear it up once he got back, then he tears up his knee in his first game, first quarter.

At least he got one year of paycheck...more than most college RB's, I guess.

Good luck to him...

Kaylore
08-12-2009, 10:56 PM

http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/Brodie_Croyle.jpg

24champ
08-12-2009, 11:00 PM
My thoughts exactly.

X2.

Kind of sad to see people be happy a talented player get hurt.

SoCalBronco
08-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Should we bump some old camp reports about Torain?;)

Actually...I few days ago I predicted Torain would be cut in favor of Jordan as part of my final report.

BroncoMan4ever
08-12-2009, 11:53 PM

yes, thank god he is gone. it was sickening to see every other post in threads about him claiming him to be this great RB that if he could only stay healthy he would be a beast in this league. he was far too overhyped for basically being a piece of glass, and i am ecstatic he is gone, and i no longer need to read about him.

Florida_Bronco
08-13-2009, 12:16 AM
yes, thank god he is gone. it was sickening to see every other post in threads about him claiming him to be this great RB that if he could only stay healthy he would be a beast in this league. he was far too overhyped for basically being a piece of glass, and i am ecstatic he is gone, and i no longer need to read about him.

Wow.

Just...wow.

DBroncos4life
08-13-2009, 12:28 AM
He was twice the player Mike Bell was.

ZONA
08-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Bummer. I would have liked to seen what a healthy Ryan could have done for us. I really do hope he kicks this injury bugaboo and ends up playing for somebody else. This kid had alot of talent but most of all, a very strong will when he was running. Too bad he just kept getting injured.

Now let's just hope Moreno and Hillis will stay healthy.

BroncoMan4ever
08-13-2009, 12:47 AM

Mike Bell played a full season and contributed more than 10 carries for the team. hell in 1 game Mike Bell was a better contributor than Torain was in his entire time in a Denver uniform. Selvin Young, Andre Hall, Pope, Boyd, Tatum, all the guys not invited back from last season were better contributors than the piece of glass known as Torain, and i would have been happier to have had any one of those guys return for another camp over him

Good Riddance.

24champ
08-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Mike Bell played a full season and contributed more than 10 carries for the team. hell in 1 game Mike Bell was a better contributor than Torain was in his entire time in a Denver uniform. Selvin Young, Andre Hall, Pope, Boyd, Tatum, all the guys not invited back from last season were better contributors than the piece of glass known as Torain, and i would have been happier to have had any one of those guys return for another camp over him

Good Riddance.

Know what I am going to do...I am going to quote you and post a picture of Ryan Torain everytime I see you post. Just to piss you off.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/3022403483_a3bc3fca1d.jpg

DBroncos4life
08-13-2009, 01:04 AM

Good Riddance.

Tatum Bell is a black listed by the NFL. Mike Bell was a over hyped piece of crap. No different then Young, Hall, Pope, Boyd. The thing that sets Torain from Mike Bell is talent. Torain has some, Mike doesn't.

Mediator12
08-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Tatum Bell is a black listed by the NFL. Mike Bell was a over hyped piece of crap. No different then Young, Hall, Pope, Boyd. The thing that sets Torain from Mike Bell is talent. Torain has some, Mike doesn't.

Mike Bell is not overhyped, he has a team in TC in New Orleans where he could see many more carries than reggie Bush behind Pierre thomas. Bell was a solid NFL RB. Nothing spectacular, but a tough minded guy who would do what it took to get the job done.

Torrain is the absolute definition of Overhyped. Drafted completely on potential. Reputation in TC on potential. This guy has never produced in a game since High School, but his talent infatuated some people beyond his ability to actually play in a game.

Mr. Elway
08-13-2009, 07:22 AM

ColoradoBuff
08-13-2009, 07:25 AM
LaMont Jordan is smiling.

Hopefully he is the next one shown the door!

bronco militia
08-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Know what I am going to do...I am going to quote you and post a picture of Ryan Torain everytime I see you post. Just to piss you off.

3 strikes you're out.......

elbow: check
knee: check
knee: check

Beantown Bronco
08-13-2009, 07:32 AM

Why did you have to go and bring Boss Bailey into this?

DarkHorse
08-13-2009, 07:34 AM

3 total carries as a Broncos represent

:wiggle:

BabyTO
08-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Shame. Watch him get picked up by some other team and guaranteed he'll produce and become a productive back.

Cool Breeze
08-13-2009, 09:21 AM

If every other post in threads was about him, get ready for the 100% Jay Cutler/ McPoopypants crap again:mullet1:

Hogan11
08-13-2009, 09:28 AM

..which ain't saying a whole lot.

Mike Bell was beloved simply because he wore TD's number and was a fan, just like Kyle Johnson was beloved because he did a stupid endzone dance, both got soft and blew their oppertunities.

The UFL beckons......hell Sapp & Kircus are already there.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Shame. Watch him get picked up by some other team and guaranteed he'll produce and become a productive back.

Name your bet.

Smiling Assassin27
08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you. For McD to cut the Broncos all-time leading rusher, leader in touchdowns, and all other offensive categories is, er, wait...I musta dreamed that. Oh, I know what it was...I read all the posts about Torain on Oranemane...

OABB
08-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Stinger(shocker) sighting!

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/the-shocker.jpg

illbroncsfn
08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
HOpe that Torain catches on and does well elsewhere.

Dagmar
08-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I'll never understand why everyone wanted Mr Glass' baby batter all over their face on this site.

I guess some things I'll never understand.

Like people liking Nickelback.

Crushaholic
08-13-2009, 12:56 PM

No way does Jerry Jones give Shanahan the control he wants...

DarkHorse
08-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I'll never understand why everyone wanted Mr Glass' baby batter all over their face on this site.

I guess some things I'll never understand.

Like people liking Nickelback.

Any of the guys from Nickelback would have been more durable than Torain :rofl:

DBroncos4life
08-13-2009, 01:34 PM
No way does Jerry Jones give Shanahan the control he wants...

Sure he will everyone knows that Shanahan finishes what Wade starts. :)

Atwater His Ass
08-13-2009, 01:59 PM

That's why the league has to step in with a rookie salary limit to enforce a level playing field for all the teams.

I don't blame the guys either for taking advantage of the system they have currently however.

Back on topic,

I agree with Taco. Torain was and is just an injury waiting to happen. The upright style in which he runs just wont' cut it in the NFL. He will always be injured with that running style.