PDA

View Full Version : Camp Confidential: McDaniels Is In Control

GreatBronco16
08-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- There's no doubt: Josh McDaniels means business in Denver. At 33, the former New England golden child is the man in charge.

"It's his team," said receiver Eddie Royal.

We found that out very early in McDaniels' regime, after the former New England offensive coordinator was hired to replace Mike Shanahan following a 14-year run in Denver. Even though both are regarded as offensive masters, Shanahan and McDaniels see the football world differently.

One of my favorites in this column is this part.

Some veterans this week said that Shanahan's way got stale. They are willing to give the McDaniels way a whirl. They have no choice, however. He's going to do it anyway -- whether they like it or not.

Read all of it here. http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2606/Camp-Confidential--McDaniels-is-in-control.html

I'm sure this is something we have all heard before though, but I just thought I'd share since I'm bored at work.

Archer81
08-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Uhh...duh?

:Broncos:

bronco militia
08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
burger bill to the rescue!

Popps
08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
For all the chatter, I haven't read a single player account of any sort of discord in camp. Even Marshall has talked a good game about the new admin.

The answer will come a year or so from now. Are we improved? Are we winning, or at least on the way? If we are... then I imagine guys will continue to buy in. If we're struggling mightily, then they'll start to question his system/methods.

But, right now... I get the sense that this is an excited group of guys an imo, for good reason.

Jason in LA
08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Doing it Shanahan's way with Jay Cutler, or McDaniels way with Orton. Yeah, I like Shanny and Cutler a whole lot better.

Archer81
08-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Doing it Shanahan's way with Jay Cutler, or McDaniels way with Orton. Yeah, I like Shanny and Cutler a whole lot better.

Tons of yards, not so many points...even fewer wins. The Cutler/Shanahan way. Those days are gone my friend. Embrace the future.

:Broncos:

DenverBrit
08-12-2009, 09:48 AM

If only it were that simple.

Rabb
08-12-2009, 09:49 AM

for fantasy football maybe

division titles and playoff wins...not so much

Popps
08-12-2009, 09:50 AM

I loved Shanahan, as well. But, it's time to build a complete team. It's not just about the QB.

Denver '78
08-12-2009, 09:51 AM
I'll give credit where credit is due and now certainly is not the time to start dishing it out...but im constructively optimistic.

Garcia Bronco
08-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I'll give credit where credit is due and now certainly is not the time to start dishing it out...but im constructively optimistic.

My sentiment as well.

Flex Gunmetal
08-12-2009, 10:07 AM

So you like to lose?

Kaylore
08-12-2009, 10:11 AM

How can you like something more than something no one has seen yet?

Jason in LA
08-12-2009, 10:31 AM
The article is just another fluff piece. Every time there is a new coach or coordinator there are articles pointing out the differences, and the players will always say that they like it better. Without fail the players will say that. And a lot of times that new coach or coordinator goes out and sucks. It's training camp, so the players are going to act like all the changes are positive, and the writers will write that. So I don't really buy into it.

Is the situation better this year? Not even close. This team was some defensive changes (mostly from the coordinator's position) from being legit. Now I could live with McDaniels/Cutler, but McDaniels/Orton? No thanks. I wouldn't take Shanny/Orton either. Really, when it comes down to it, any equation that has Orton as QB is not a good situation. It's not a winner.

Now I hope they prove me wrong. I'm rooting for them to prove me wrong. I get the feeling that there are a lot of people around here that would love to see McDaniels and Orton fail just to be right. I'd love to be wrong here, but I don't have too much faith in that.

outdoor_miner
08-12-2009, 10:43 AM
The article is just another fluff piece. Every time there is a new coach or coordinator there are articles pointing out the differences, and the players will always say that they like it better. Without fail the players will say that. And a lot of times that new coach or coordinator goes out and sucks. It's training camp, so the players are going to act like all the changes are positive, and the writers will write that. So I don't really buy into it.

Is the situation better this year? Not even close. This team was some defensive changes (mostly from the coordinator's position) from being legit. Now I could live with McDaniels/Cutler, but McDaniels/Orton? No thanks. I wouldn't take Shanny/Orton either. Really, when it comes down to it, any equation that has Orton as QB is not a good situation. It's not a winner.

Now I hope they prove me wrong. I'm rooting for them to prove me wrong. I get the feeling that there are a lot of people around here that would love to see McDaniels and Orton fail just to be right. I'd love to be wrong here, but I don't have too much faith in that.

Agreed... This is fluff. None of this stuff means anything until the season starts (although, I still enjoy reading it). However - we didn't trade Cutler for just Orton. We essentially traded Cutler for Orton, Smith, Ayers, and 1/2 of Richard Quinn. Cutler is definitely a more talented QB than Kyle Orton, but don't forget that the goal is to build a team here. We have accumulated some nice talent to surround Orton, and hopefully we can have an elite running game (which seems to be a possibility with our backs and line), an average defense, and maybe that can turn into something special.

I can't wait for the season to start. That's where we as fans will get our first taste of what McDaniels is really building.

lex
08-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Yawn. This means nothing if he doesnt win and soon. Remember, "Ill take care of it." We all know how successful that was.

OABB
08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Yawn. This means nothing if he doesnt win and soon. Remember, "Ill take care of it." We all know how successful that was.

well, he DID take care of it.

GreatBronco16
08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Really, when it comes down to it, any equation that has Orton as QB is not a good situation. It's not a winner.

Ortons overall win/loss record says otherwise.

And before you go off trying to tell me that Chicago had a good defense, remember what you said..... "Any equation that has Orton as a QB is not a winner"

GreatBronco16
08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
well, he DID take care of it.

Actually, Bowlen took care of it.

supermanhr9
08-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Love Shanahan, however he even admits he needed to take a step back. He has recently said he has studied football more this off season then has had in 10 years. To me that was a sure sign he was in a rut. He/We needed a change.

As for Cutler,,, piss on him. Can't wait until he explodes/implodes in Chicago. Ton of yards, ton of losses.

Broncosfreak_56
08-12-2009, 10:56 AM

You do know that Orton has a winning record as a QB, while Jay doesn't right? Either way, it is a team game, and Shanahan said he would keep Slowik as Defensive coordinator. McDaniels+Nolan>Shanahan+Slowik.

lex
08-12-2009, 10:57 AM
You do know that Orton has a winning record as a QB, while Jay doesn't right? Either way, it is a team game, and Shanahan said he would keep Slowik as Defensive coordinator. McDaniels+Nolan>Shanahan+Slowik.

Amazing

Broncosfreak_56
08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Amazing

Thanks for that well thought out, insightful post.

lex
08-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks for that well thought out, insightful post.

It was commensurate with yours.

Jason in LA
08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Ortons overall win/loss record says otherwise.

And before you go off trying to tell me that Chicago had a good defense, remember what you said..... "Any equation that has Orton as a QB is not a winner"

Yeah, but that would be any equation with the Broncos. Sorry I didn't spell that out. If the Broncos had the Bears defense my opinion would be different. But the Broncos don't have a defense anywhere near the Bears, so any equation with Orton is a horrible one.

Broncosfreak_56
08-12-2009, 11:17 AM
It was commensurate with yours.

I posted 2 valid points. You posted one word. Either way, I would expect nothing less from you. I'll let you get back to poking your McDaniels voodoo doll.

lex
08-12-2009, 11:25 AM
I posted 2 valid points. You posted one word. Either way, I would expect nothing less from you. I'll let you get back to poking your McDaniels voodoo doll.

You contradicted yourself. Its hard to say theyre valid when the subsequent point contradicts the first one.

Greatspirits
08-12-2009, 11:30 AM

Start fast in games fold in the fourth quarter, start the season of 5-2 and fold in November and December finish 8-8, yeah that sounds great to me!

Broncosfreak_56
08-12-2009, 11:32 AM
You contradicted yourself. Its hard to say theyre valid when the subsequent point contradicts the first one.

My point was that people should not be so focused on who the quarterback is, because there are more factors in the game than just the quarterback. And not all talented quarterbacks are winners. Are you really so dense that you couldn't figure that out?

Lolad
08-12-2009, 11:37 AM

Why are people continually bringing up a QB's winning record when it's been said OVER AND OVER again that this is a team game! I don't what QB wins when his defense is giving up 30+ points a game.

Broncosfreak_56
08-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Why are people continually bringing up a QB's winning record when it's been said OVER AND OVER again that this is a team game! I don't what QB wins when his defense is giving up 30+ points a game.

Did you read past the first sentence?

c_lazy_r
08-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Partially agreed but if defense was the only problem last season then why did we get blown out all the time.

The offense with the almighty Cutler didn't exactly light up the scoreboard in offensive shootout type games. We were ****ing blown out. We only averaged 15 points per game in our losses. That isn't all on the defense...

Know what I mean?

colonelbeef
08-12-2009, 12:02 PM

qft.

jsco70
08-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Start fast in games fold in the fourth quarter, start the season of 5-2 and fold in November and December finish 8-8, yeah that sounds great to me!

Let's not forget piss poor special teams, an inability for the defense to get a stop on crucial 3rd downs, and field goal after field goal in the red zone.

Don't get me wrong, Shanahan will always be revered. However, it was time for both him and the Denver Broncos to go their separate ways.

Paladin
08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah, but that would be any equation with the Broncos. Sorry I didn't spell that out. If the Broncos had the Bears defense my opinion would be different. But the Broncos don't have a defense anywhere near the Bears, so any equation with Orton is a horrible one.

So. What postion on D did Orton play? Jason, my boy, that post makes no freaking sense at all. You are just hating on Orton, and blaming the D. Right.

kamakazi_kal
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
"McD is in control" ..... wow

and in other news.... "Air, you can breathe it"

Natedog24
08-12-2009, 02:55 PM
W/L record is a retarded way of grading a player in a team sport no matter what way you try and twist it

DBroncos4life
08-12-2009, 03:04 PM
W/L record is a retarded way of grading a player in a team sport no matter what way you try and twist it

Its even worse when they come out and say our D was the worst in NFL history then bash Cutler for only winning 8 games. The two teams that had worse D's then us last year won half as many games as us combined.

Expectations in Denver are crazy if you can't take a team to the playoffs with a JV Defense then you have no business playing QB here.

BroncoBuff
08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Can't compare anything, there's nothing to compare yet ... it's too soon.

But the thought that "everybody is behind him" is kinda silly. Might be true, but nobody ever goes on the record blasting a current head coach. Almost never anyway.

Drek
08-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Can't compare anything, there's nothing to compare yet ... it's too soon.

But the thought that "everybody is behind him" is kinda silly. Might be true, but nobody ever goes on the record blasting a current head coach. Almost never anyway.

I like the recent comments by Stokley, sounding like he's buying in. This from a guy who came as close to blasting a new management staff as a player can get without being cut when talking about the Leach/Paxton swap.

Thats a sign of a vet who was pesimistic to start buying in. I don't see why this is surprising though. The players who where here have been losing more than winning, no one likes that. The new guys where given a job by McDaniels, everyone likes that. He's got a whole team of guys who're looking forward to the change he brings, I'm sure he's in complete control and everyone is buying in right now. Until he wins or loses in the regular season its all worthless though.