PDA

View Full Version : Slot WR: Stokley or Royal?

Slade
08-11-2009, 08:35 AM
It was my understanding that Eddie Royal would play the slot position in this offense...the one in which Wes Welker made famous. However, it seems now in light of many TC practices and the most recent depth chart that Stokley will play that postion.

Our recievers will look like:

WR1: Marshall
WR2: Royal
WR3 (slot): Stokley

My thoughts:

WR2: Gaffney
WR3 (slot): Royal

I don't recall who, but a poster here said Gaffney played the #2 role in the Patriots offense and would do the same here.

tsiguy96
08-11-2009, 08:38 AM
in klis' mailbag, he said stokely is getting the "welker" position. however he predicts royal will have more receptions. keep in mind, these players will be moving around a lot on the field, you will prolly see royal in the slot on some plays.

Los Broncos
08-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Stokley was automatic when Cutler was here, we could count on him getting a first down when we needed it.

Slade
08-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Is Stokley better than Gaffney? I am all for having the best 3 WRs on the field.

Beantown Bronco
08-11-2009, 08:43 AM
People throw around the term "slot" WR all the time when it really doesn't apply. Moss played out of the slot last season almost as much as Welker did.

dbfan4life
08-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Royal will not be playing the slot w/ BMarsh out. But, I think that we will see a lot of looks out of the WR's this year so I don't know that it really matters.

Gcver2ver3
08-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Slot WR: Stokley or Royal?

i've been pondering this as well...

it looks like they both will be playing some "welker role" in this offense...

i thought early on it was gonna be soley royal...

it'll be interesting to see...

oubronco
08-11-2009, 09:29 AM
It was my understanding that Eddie Royal would play the slot position in this offense...the one in which Wes Welker made famous. However, it seems now in light of many TC practices and the most recent depth chart that Stokley will play that postion.

My thoughts:

I don't recall who, but a poster here said Gaffney played the #2 role in the Patriots offense and would do the same here.

until Marshall gets his ass on the field you can take him off that lineup

Pontius Pirate
08-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Jake Plummer should be the slot receiver.

broncosteven
08-11-2009, 10:30 AM
People throw around the term "slot" WR all the time when it really doesn't apply. Moss played out of the slot last season almost as much as Welker did.

It is all about matchups, they will put different guys on the field to dictate different matchups by the D.

I don't care where Royal lines up, I just hope our QB(s) can get him the ball.

Binkythefrog
08-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Doesn't playing in the slot imply more contact over the middle? At this point, although Royal is clearly more athletic, I would rather have Stokely in the middle getting those tough catches while getting crushed. Royal is so quick and fast that putting him in the slot may limit his ability to break big plays... something he is way more prone to do than Stokley.

Cool Breeze
08-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Royal will not be playing the slot w/ BMarsh out. But, I think that we will see a lot of looks out of the WR's this year so I don't know that it really matters.

I agree with this

Northman
08-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I think Royal could be more dangerous there however Stokely does have experience in the slot and worked well there. Could go either way.

BroncoMan4ever
08-11-2009, 12:23 PM

My thoughts:

Eddie is going to play every receiver position, he isn't going to be specialized into 1 role like Welker playing the slot. he has more speed than Marshall and any of our other receivers which suits him better to being our deep threat like Moss, he has better hands out of everyone but maybe Stokley and runs great routes and will be great coming out of the slot in 3 wide sets. he is going to be used in a variety of ways. he is better than Welker.

broncobrandon
08-12-2009, 03:37 PM

My thoughts:

STOKLEY! Hands down! Anybody who watched the Broncos last year know that this guy is "Mr. 1st Down" (Or Mr. 3rd Down depending on how you look at it). Im not trying to take ANYTHING away from Eddie because he is a BEAST, but we could utilize him in many different areas as where Stokley fits as a 3rd Down receiver. I HAVE SPOKEN!

Swedish Extrovert
08-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Assuming we run a 3wr set, I'd like to see Royal in the slot. However, he is valuable as a #2 option for the Broncos.

I think Scarlett Johansson would make a mighty fine slot receiver for me, though.

maher_tyler
08-12-2009, 05:47 PM

It's really about the match ups and getting the defense to think a little bit by moving guys around pre-snap! Both will play out of the slot plenty!

RhymesayersDU
08-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Doesn't playing in the slot imply more contact over the middle? At this point, although Royal is clearly more athletic, I would rather have Stokely in the middle getting those tough catches while getting crushed. Royal is so quick and fast that putting him in the slot may limit his ability to break big plays... something he is way more prone to do than Stokley.

I think he has more options than you think. I mean, I get what you're saying, roaming in the middle with LB's, etc... But if he gets into open space in the middle of the field, I think he can be gone. I'd rather put him in the middle of the field than up the sideline with limited space. In the middle of the field if he loses a defender it could be off to the races.

maher_tyler
08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Jake Plummer should be the slot receiver.

:rofl: wft??

DarkHorse
08-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't think neither Royal nor Stokely will have a ''given'' position - I agree that they will both move around a lot in this offense.

doonwise
08-12-2009, 09:52 PM

WR1:

My thoughts:

WR1:

listopencil
08-12-2009, 10:03 PM
WR1:Royal
WR2:Royal

Then we just run a lot of 1WR/2TE/RB/FB sets.

Dudeskey
08-12-2009, 10:21 PM

Thats it, man. The slot WR could be any one of those three on any given play...