PDA

View Full Version : Bruton not McBath to start for Dawkins

SoDak Bronco
08-11-2009, 07:35 AM
David Bruton is a rare player who in a span of 3 1/2 months has gone from second day in the draft to starting lineup in the first preseason game.

Bruton says he's as surprised as anyone that he will be starting in place of injured safety Brian Dawkins when the Broncos play the San Francisco 49ers on Friday night.

"I am," Bruton said. "Nobody expected anything to happen to B-Dawk, but when your number is called, you have to fill in where needed."

So why is Bruton, a fourth-rounder from Notre Dame, replacing Dawkins? Why not Darcel McBath, a second-round safety from Texas Tech?

The answer is not on the Broncos' freshly revealed depth chart. There it lists Bruton as a second-string strong safety, backing up Renaldo Hill, and McBath as a free safety backing up Dawkins, out with an injured hand.

Positions on paper, though, do not always match the reality of positions on the field. Hill is really a free safety who roams in coverage while Dawkins is an in-the-box striker, which defines a strong safety.

So, in truth, Bruton is Dawkins' backup at strong safety and McBath is Hill's backup at free safety.

Still, Bruton's progress is notable considering he was drafted primarily on the strength of his special-teams play.

"He's one of the finest special-teams players in the draft, period," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said after Day 2 of the draft.

And while Bruton is out there on the coverage and return teams, special teams is not where his talent rests.

"I can do more," he said.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13034040

SoDak Bronco
08-11-2009, 07:40 AM
How has McBath done in camp so far? I have high hopes for him being a 2nd round pick, I hope he can be a player in the years to come. Glad to see Bruton is already rising up the depth charts.

Slade
08-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Bruton has been working hard. The post said he is the last player off the practice field most days working on the jugs machine. I met him and the dude is JACKED! He has the look of a punishing SS, no doubt!

cmhargrove
08-11-2009, 07:51 AM
I don't care what round they get drafted in, you just need players to fight for a spot and get better every day.

I'm happy for Bruton, he's got good size and definitely has the proper "psychosis" to be a hard hitting safety. Good to see him doing well.

baja
08-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Starting to look like we had a pretty good draft.

Cmac821
08-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Can't wait till Friday, get see the team in action. Even though SF isn't very good and won't reveal much about or team.

TheDave
08-11-2009, 10:43 AM
The answer is not on the Broncos' freshly revealed depth chart. There it lists Bruton as a second-string strong safety, backing up Renaldo Hill, and McBath as a free safety backing up Dawkins, out with an injured hand.

I realize that depth charts prior to the 1st preseason game are meaningless... but this is a whole new level when guys aren't even listed in the correct position

UberBroncoMan
08-11-2009, 10:53 AM
How has McBath done in camp so far? I have high hopes for him being a 2nd round pick, I hope he can be a player in the years to come. Glad to see Bruton is already rising up the depth charts.

This is probably why we drafted TWO Safeties on top of signing Hill, Dawkins, and keeping Barrett.

The draft is a crap-shoot so the more shots you take the higher your luck is of getting something right.

It would never surprise me to see a 4th rounder beat a 2nd rounder etc.

outdoor_miner
08-11-2009, 10:59 AM
McBath is interesting to me... He is the only one of the high profile draft picks that has never really gotten much publicity. DenverBroncos.com and the Denver Post have all had regular features and updates on Moreno, Ayers, Smith, and even Quinn. However, I really can't remember any interviews or fluff pieces on McBath. He's sort of been the "forgotten man" of the high-round draft picks. It seems almost intentional since this has been the case since immediately following the draft. It just seems weird to me.

Northman
08-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I just hope they all pan out. Our defense needs all the help it can get.

BroncoMan4ever
08-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Bruton has been working hard. The post said he is the last player off the practice field most days working on the jugs machine. I met him and the dude is JACKED! He has the look of a punishing SS, no doubt!

i am hoping it becomes Bruton and Barrett as our safeties of the future. i like McBath, but i am hoping Bruton and Barrett beat him out for starting jobs in the future. just the sheer size, strength and speed of those 2 guys would be fierce if they could mature on the field.

Traveler
08-11-2009, 12:33 PM
i am hoping it becomes Bruton and Barrett as our safeties of the future. i like McBath, but i am hoping Bruton and Barrett beat him out for starting jobs in the future. just the sheer size, strength and speed of those 2 guys would be fierce if they could mature on the field.

I could live with that, but I'm secret hoping we could somehow land the Mays kid from Southern Cal.

Northman
08-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I could live with that, but I'm secret hoping we could somehow land the Mays kid from Southern Cal.

Would be nice but from what ive seen so far in next year's draft he is already slated as a top 5 pick.

oubronco
08-11-2009, 12:42 PM
It would be nice but I think D-line could be the focus in the first rd

BroncoMan4ever
08-11-2009, 01:13 PM

as much as i would like that, even if we were in position to take him next year, i seriously doubt we would. we brought in 5 DBs in the last 2 years through the draft, plus a few vets. next year will probably address the front 7, WR if Marshall leaves, QB if Orton isn't cutting it. Secondary will be the last thing that is really looked at in the draft.

chadta
08-11-2009, 02:47 PM
next year will probably address the front 7, Secondary will be the last thing that is really looked at in the draft.

how many people thought that this year tho

Kaylore
08-11-2009, 04:22 PM
McBath at free and Bruton at strong safety was a foregone conclusion.

KevinJames
08-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah this is no surprise to me Dawkins is a SS for us, McBath is more better suited for the FS role that Hill plays but Bruton is a sure SS.

Only surprise here is that Bruton is starting over Barrett.

TheReverend
08-11-2009, 04:34 PM
:nono:

Bigdawg26
08-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah I'm surpised Burton is starting over Barrett(although I thought and hoped is was backing up Hill at FS), but it seems like Barrett is being used more like a LB than anything else. But I'm happy to see Burton stepping up and I'm rooting for him with his size and speed.

Popps
08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
:nono:

I knew this would make you happy. :)

Br0nc0Buster
08-11-2009, 05:01 PM

our safeties were trash last year and outside of Barrett there was no potential....at all

Br0nc0Buster
08-11-2009, 05:02 PM

I would bet money Mays is a Raider a year from now

Drek
08-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Klis seriously wrote an article about the bigger, stronger, harder hitting safety we drafted playing SS over our smaller, faster, better cover safety just because one was a 2nd and the other a 4th?

McBath is here to learn and take over for Hill, giving us a safety who can actually catch a damn football (lord knows we haven't see it in a long time). Bruton and Barrett are battling to replace Dawkins.

Popps
08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm just thrilled that our staff actually looks at special teams performers coming out of school now.

TheReverend
08-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I knew this would make you happy. :)

http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members3/279/811279/images/Joker-Clapping.gif

~Crash~
08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah I'm surpised Burton is starting over Barrett(although I thought and hoped is was backing up Hill at FS), but it seems like Barrett is being used more like a LB than anything else. But I'm happy to see Burton stepping up and I'm rooting for him with his size and speed.

every thing I see say Barrett at CB .

Mogulseeker
08-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Starting to look like we had a pretty good draft.

It's probably too early to tell, right? Or is something going on in camp that I should know about?

footstepsfrom#27
08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
McBath is interesting to me... He is the only one of the high profile draft picks that has never really gotten much publicity. DenverBroncos.com and the Denver Post have all had regular features and updates on Moreno, Ayers, Smith, and even Quinn. However, I really can't remember any interviews or fluff pieces on McBath. He's sort of been the "forgotten man" of the high-round draft picks. It seems almost intentional since this has been the case since immediately following the draft. It just seems weird to me.
Right after the draft I did Google searches on all these guys and found precious little on McBath. In fact about the most noteworthy stuff I ran accross was his myspace page, where I found out he grew up around these parts. LOL The guy appears to have been Mr. Anonymous.

footstepsfrom#27
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
every thing I see say Barrett at CB .
A 235 pound cornerback? I don' tthink so. I hope he picks it up in the preseason games because he has the talent to be something but it looks like he's falling behind Bruton.

BroncoMan4ever
08-11-2009, 10:47 PM

there's a difference between this years draft and next years. the only talent that was available in terms of players who would be an upgrade to what we already had or didn't have was in the secondary. this draft was weak, and outside of guys who went basically top 10, there wasn't much available in terms of guys who were going to be an improvement on who we already had.

also, a lot of people are forgetting that we got Baker, Pedelesceux, Rulon, Robinson for our front 7. so even though we didn't burn picks on guys who the coaches didn't believe would be an improvement doesn't mean we completely negated the front 7 in the draft.

lex
08-11-2009, 10:52 PM
there's a difference between this years draft and next years. the only talent that was available in terms of players who would be an upgrade to what we already had or didn't have was in the secondary. this draft was weak, and outside of guys who went basically top 10, there wasn't much available in terms of guys who were going to be an improvement on who we already had.
also, a lot of people are forgetting that we got Baker, Pedelesceux, Rulon, Robinson for our front 7. so even though we didn't burn picks on guys who the coaches didn't believe would be an improvement doesn't mean we completely negated the front 7 in the draft.

This is totally tailored around what Denver did in the draft.

DBroncos4life
08-12-2009, 12:00 AM

didn't we use a draft pick (18 which by my count is outside the top ten) on a player that plays in the front seven? Hmmmm