PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits from the Denver Post

titan
08-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Dove Valley Days
By The Denver Post
Posted: 08/10/2009 03:29:06 PM MDT

Broncos reporter Lindsay H. Jones summarizes training camp today:

Highlight: He may be listed fourth on the depth chart, but rookie tailback Knowshon Moreno already is making a big impression on only his second full day of practice. Moreno, who ended an eight-day holdout when he signed his contract over the weekend, split reps on the first-team offense with veteran Correll Buckhalter during 11-on-11 drills. He also showcased his versatility by splitting out wide in one formation and by taking his turn practicing kickoff returns.

"I did it at Georgia and I also did punt returns, so I'm used to that," Moreno said.

Lowlight: It might be a good thing that Kyle Orton is playing his first game for the Broncos away from Invesco Field at Mile High. After throwing a couple of interceptions in front of thousands of fans on Thursday, Orton again this morning threw two in a closed practice at Invesco. Linebacker Andra Davis stepped in front of tight end Tony Scheffler to pick off Orton's short pass in a 7-on-7 drill, while safety Josh Barrett intercepted Orton on a deeper pass during 11-on-11 work.

also

"McDaniels and his staff are also preparing a "thorough" game plan for players for the 49ers."

read the whole update here:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13031681?source=rss

Rabb
08-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Lowlight: It might be a good thing that Kyle Orton is playing his first game for the Broncos away from Invesco Field at Mile High. After throwing a couple of interceptions in front of thousands of fans on Thursday, Orton again this morning threw two in a closed practice at Invesco. Linebacker Andra Davis stepped in front of tight end Tony Scheffler to pick off Orton's short pass in a 7-on-7 drill, while safety Josh Barrett intercepted Orton on a deeper pass during 11-on-11 work.

countdown to panic...3...2...

521 1N5
08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey hey hey...Maybe our defense is just THAT good!!!
:ouwknow:

2KBack
08-10-2009, 03:52 PM
It's a sad commentary on what is expected from the defense these days when it is noted as a lowlight for the QBs, when the D forces a turnover, instead of a highlight for the defensive players.

CoopDawg
08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm going to be positive, its awfully nice to hear the Broncos are forcing turnovers--even if Orton is the culprit.

telluride
08-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Why do I always get the feeling that Lindsay Jones doesn't like the team, and is rooting for players to fail?

tonngo0
08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Nah the problem is the whole world know that Broncos defense is not that good, the defense could be average at best and the QB having problem with the defense then it is a cause for alarm for the media. Orton may be average at best, and Orton football IQ is nothing to brag about it either.

DBroncos4life
08-10-2009, 05:45 PM
countdown to panic...3...2...

Is this the mandatory post for the second post in threads followed by a picture of a SB trophy and he will break of 2k in our system?

Northman
08-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Nah the problem is the whole world know that Broncos defense is not that good, the defense could be average at best and the QB having problem with the defense then it is a cause for alarm for the media. Orton may be average at best, and Orton football IQ is nothing to brag about it either.

Must mean Jay is overrated too. Both he and Orton scored the same on the Wonderlic.

TheReverend
08-10-2009, 06:02 PM
"McDaniels and his staff are also preparing a "thorough" game plan for players for the 49ers."

read the whole update here:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13031681?source=rss

Wait... what? Game-planning in the first week of pre-season...? Oh hi, Wade Phillips...

Rabb
08-10-2009, 06:12 PM
is this the mandatory post for the second post in threads followed by a picture of a sb trophy and he will break of 2k in our system?

tee hee

DarkHorse
08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Wait... what? Game-planning in the first week of pre-season...? Oh hi, Wade Phillips...

I'm cool with this - players are learning a completely new system so why not start them off with an actual gameplan that they have to study for?

TheReverend
08-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm cool with this - players are learning a completely new system so why not start them off with an actual gameplan that they have to study for?

Because pre-seasons about getting comfortable playing in your base O/D and evaluating players based on their performance against opposing base O/D...

As for practicing gameplanning film... didn't we sign a ton of old ass vets specifically because they were reliable vet players...?

Most likely this is Lindsay Jones reporting wrong information.

tonngo0
08-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Must mean Jay is overrated too. Both he and Orton scored the same on the Wonderlic.

Well I never said anything on Jay. The thing is Jay has on Orton is talent. You can't teach talent, but you can always teach football IQ.

BroncoBuff
08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey hey hey...Maybe our defense is just THAT good!!!
:ouwknow:
Dunno about that, but one of the picks in the Invesco scrimmage was after a guy fell down, so it's tough to blast him for that ???

Drek
08-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Because pre-seasons about getting comfortable playing in your base O/D and evaluating players based on their performance against opposing base O/D...

As for practicing gameplanning film... didn't we sign a ton of old ass vets specifically because they were reliable vet players...?

Going by what we've heard of McDaniels' offense a "thorough" gameplan would probably be needed just to introduce a base O scheme.

As for the Orton comment, I don't see much issue. Its pre-season, he's allowed to make mistakes and push the limits in pre-season. I also think our secondary is going to be better than expected this season, so you can't put it all on him.

watermock
08-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Vernon Davis will destroy us. Ha!

Man, that kid looked ike Superman in College.

But hey, wht trade for him now...we got Quinn and Putz, and Sceff...and Graham, and Hillis.

Since he's on Singletrary's shiat list, wonder how much he would of cost....

Just sayin'

elsid13
08-10-2009, 07:20 PM

I think she is, because she is clueless. It sound like that McDaniels and staff aren't game planning for the game but rather putting in place all the ancillary stuff that going to happen up to kick off, like how the team will enter the stadium, where each group will position itself for warm up and other stuff like that.

DenverBrit
08-10-2009, 07:25 PM

But hey, wht trade for him now...we got Quinn and Putz, and Sceff...and Graham, and Hillis.

Just sayin'

But he's in the NFL now and averaging 3 tds a season.

Will the Niner's Vernon Davis ever match the hype?

http://www.contracostatimes.com/49ers/ci_13027885?source=rss&nclick_check=1

skunk
08-10-2009, 07:25 PM
this is just my way of making myself feel better but:

i wonder how many picks matt cassell threw in TC and pre-season last year

mcdaniels built him from scratch. maybe he can do the same for orton? (i have my doubts) if he doesnt produce he will be gone and we will search for that elusive franchise QB... again :(

i wonder how many cassell has thrown THIS year in camp? if that guy ends up being good ill be even more pissed than the cutler thing.(?)

maybe friday we can make some judgement. the last 3 years its been OBVIOUS in preseason games that our defense was going to suck.

anyways bye

TheReverend
08-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Going by what we've heard of McDaniels' offense a "thorough" gameplan would probably be needed just to introduce a base O scheme.

As for the Orton comment, I don't see much issue. Its pre-season, he's allowed to make mistakes and push the limits in pre-season. I also think our secondary is going to be better than expected this season, so you can't put it all on him.

I didn't make an Orton comment.......

skunk
08-10-2009, 07:45 PM

you were about to.... Nyah!

Drek
08-10-2009, 07:48 PM

Who said you did?

The OP has a Orton comment, I was making a response to that.

DBroncos4life
08-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Dunno about that, but one of the picks in the Invesco scrimmage was after a guy fell down, so it's tough to blast him for that ???

It's never stopped anyone in the past from blasting a QB for Denver.

DarkHorse
08-10-2009, 08:31 PM

This was my thinking as well.

EDIT: Regarding this chick's bad reporting on a thorough gameplan - this is straight from McDaniels, in that article

McDaniels and his staff are also preparing a "thorough" game plan for players for the 49ers.

"We do not want to give them false expectations of what is going to happen in the regular season," McDaniels said. "We want to try to simulate as much real like-game experiences as we can for them right now."

Seems pretty clear to me?

TheReverend
08-10-2009, 08:41 PM
This was my thinking as well.

EDIT: Regarding this chick's bad reporting on a thorough gameplan - this is straight from McDaniels, in that article

Seems pretty clear to me?

This is just so unnecessary and "bad form". I'm paranoid he's feeling heat and wants the team to "perform" (in the pre-season) to buy some fan-base faith and patience. Hopefully Nolan called the 9ers and got them on board... Maybe it will help the team. I guess "who cares" is more appropriate. They better put on a ****ing show Friday night.

rugbythug
08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
This is just so unnecessary and "bad form". I'm paranoid he's feeling heat and wants the team to "perform" (in the pre-season) to buy some fan-base faith and patience. Hopefully Nolan called the 9ers and got them on board... Maybe it will help the team. I guess "who cares" is more appropriate. They better put on a ****ing show Friday night.

The whole quote makes mention to the fact that he will prepare a whole game plan and practice all the plays but probably won't use it in the game.

TheReverend
08-10-2009, 08:53 PM
The whole quote makes mention to the fact that he will prepare a whole game plan and practice all the plays but probably won't use it in the game.

Ah, thanks.

I hope that's the case.

Mr.Meanie
08-10-2009, 08:56 PM

Just sayin'

haha...every time I read one of your posts I immediately think Horvil Tiki is posting

ZONA
08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
OMG, Orton threw a few pics in a practice, while in the 1st week of training camp, when everybody and their moms knows that defenses are always ahead of offenses, even when you account for the fact that you have a new HC, and new QB, new offensive scheme, etc.

Somebody better hit the panic buttom like right now. ROFL!

DarkHorse
08-10-2009, 09:21 PM

Yeah i'm not really sure how to feel about this. We'll see Friday night - i'd love to see a show but i'm betting we get vanilla gaming.

Br0nc0Buster
08-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Ah, thanks.

I hope that's the case.

it is
He talks about it on the Broncos website

BroncoMan4ever
08-10-2009, 11:35 PM
a thorough gameplan. that is nice. we get to see where these guys are in terms of knowing the playbook and get a good idea as to where they are going to be in real game situations as opposed to the old walk through preseason games.

Popps
08-11-2009, 12:37 AM

I'm O.K. with some game-planning. As much as I believe in McDaniels, he's a first-year coach and frankly needs the practice. I'd also guess that any sort of game plan would still be very broad, but more designed to build confidence in his players rather than any sort of fan response.

He's a highly calculated dude. He's probably got his breakfast cereal planned out for the next six months, with alternate plans in case any of them go out of production.

Doesn't surprise me that he'd approach a pre-season game as an opportunity to not just see what kind of players he has, but work out some strategic kinks, as well.