PDA

View Full Version : 8/9 Training Camp Report from the Broncos Blog - Good stuff

Irish Stout
08-10-2009, 08:40 AM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/day-10-blog/

Day 10 Blog
August 9th, 2009 - 6:01pm by Gray Caldwell

Dove Valley was packed with the most fans to attend a practice this offseason Sunday afternoon. It was also the first training camp practice for newly-signed No. 1 pick Knowshon Moreno, so there was plenty of excitement surrounding the day. There were some plays made on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, and a few new players cracked the first unit on both sides.

Here are some quick hits from the session.

ROLL CALL: Rulon Davis was back at practice this afternoon after missing Friday’s practice session. Brandon Marshall, Brian Dawkins and Wesley Woodyard did not participate.

POSITIONING: Depending on the package, plenty of defensive players saw some time with what seemed to be the “first unit.” The basic unit looked pretty similar, with Champ Bailey, Andre’ Goodman, David Bruton and Renaldo Hill in the secondary, Ryan McBean, Ronald Fields and Kenny Peterson on the line and Elvis Dumervil, D.J. Williams, Andra Davis and Mario Haggan at linebacker. Haggan joined the list of several new faces who saw some time with the first unit, including Marcus Thomas, Nic Clemons and Robert Ayers. Jack Williams and Josh Barrett ran with the first teamers for parts of practice as well.

As far as the offense goes, the team occasionally worked in two tight end sets, with Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler. Jabar Gaffney and Eddie Royal were the receivers, Kyle Orton was at quarterback and the running backs rotated, including Peyton Hillis, Correll Buckhalter and Moreno. Hillis also spent time at fullback in two-back sets.

DRILLS: Tight ends worked again linebackers on blocking, and the one-on-one battles were fairly physical. After Reid pushed Richard Quinn down on the way to the quarterback, linebackers coach Don Martindale shouted to tight ends coach Clancy Barone, “I brought the bullies today, Clarence!” On the next play, Quinn stepped up again and this time held off Tim Crowder, drawing loud clapping and congratulations from Barone on the effort.

In the same drill, no one got past Daniel Graham. Graham also spent some time to the side showing Quinn how to use his hands to help with his technique. Dumervil was active in the drill as well, pushing back Jeb Putzier then using a swim move to get past him. He gave Robert Ayers a fist pound after the rookie made some good moves in the drill a couple plays later.

Reid and Dumervil worked against Spencer Larsen and LaMont Jordan in a special teams drill with coordinator Mike Priefer. The two outside linebackers/defensive ends practiced their blocking technique.

PLAYMAKERS: Bailey had quite the practice. In one-on-one drills between defensive backs and wide receivers, he matched up against Royal on two occasions. Both times he made sure the ball fell to the ground for an incompletion. Then in 11-on-11s later in the session, the eight-time Pro Bowler grabbed two interceptions. One came as he ran down an overthrown ball and caught it over his shoulder in the end zone. The other game on a tipped pass, which he pulled out of the air as he reached behind him.

Royal had a solid session as well, leaping up to catch a pass in the middle of the defense with Vernon Fox closing quickly. Later in the session, Gaffney leaped to pull in a pass before being brought down by Goodman near the goal line. The defense shouted “He wasn’t in the end zone!” but Head Coach Josh McDaniels blew his whistle and signaled touchdown, calling for a two-point conversion. In what was a familiar sight for Broncos fans, Royal was the man who hauled in the catch in the end zone on the next play for the successful conversion.

Moreno made an impact in his first practice, seeing a couple reps behind the first unit offensive line. In one-on-one tackling drills between running backs and linebackers, the rookie lowered his shoulder and ran right into D.J. Williams. The veteran still made the tackle, but it drew some “ooohs” from the crowd.

Tony Carter thought he had an interception in his grasp during 7-on-7s, but the ball tipped off his outstretched hands and into the arms of intended receiver Brandon Lloyd, who turned around and sprinted toward the end zone, much to the delight of the crowd.

Stokley also scored a touchdown during 7-on-7s, streaking upfield and catching a long bomb from Orton with Jack Williams in tight coverage.
Alphonso Smith jumped a route and picked off a pass from Tom Brandstater
during 11-on-11s.

The first unit offense and defense went at it during a two-minute drill to close out practice. The offense drove to the 11-yard line and clocked the ball with two seconds to go. On the final play of the drive, Orton dropped back, scanned the field and fired a pass to Scheffler in the front of the end zone, but Goodman continued his playmaking ways of late, jumping in to knock the ball away before shaking his head in celebration.

QUICK HITS: 2,309 fans showed up to watch practice today — the most at Dove Valley yet this offseason.

Kenny McKinley went one-on-one with Smith in a drill early in practice, and Smith broke up the pass. Wide receivers coach Adam Gase pulled McKinley aside and talked to him after the play. The pep talk must have worked, because during 11-on-11s later in practice McKinley leaped and pulled in a Chris Simms pass at its highest point for a catch that drew cheers from the crowd.

DAILY JUKEBOX: Ben Hamilton’s playlist kicked off practice today, and he put together a list based on suggestions from fellow offensive linemen. Last week, Wiegmann said, “I just told Ben to make it respectable.” You be the judge.

Bob Marley - “Jammin’”
Metallica - “Don’t Tread on Me”
Daft Punk - “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger” (This brought some dancing from the former Minnesota teammates, Hamilton and Reid)
Jay-Z - “Heart of the City (Ain’t No Love)”
Jason Michael Carroll - “Waitin’ in the Country”
Michael Jackson - “Rock With You”
Later in the session, Mark Thewes, assistant to the head coach, took control of the iPod and put on some music to simulate crowd noise. Some of his selections included “Everlong” by the Foo Fighters, “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N’ Roses, “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor and “You Give Love a Bad Name” by Bon Jovi.

QUOTABLE:
“Yeah I needed some. I thought I needed some contact getting out here for the first day. I got that.”
-Knowshon Moreno, on his contact with D.J. Williams in one-on-one drills

More pictures from practice are below.

The team will practice at INVESCO Field at Mile High tomorrow morning but that practice is closed to the public. The afternoon practice for tomorrow has been canceled, so the next time they’ll be on the field at Dove Valley is on Tuesday for two sessions — 8:45 a.m. MDT and 5:30 p.m. MDT. Both are open to the public.

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

Irish Stout
08-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Keep showing up fans!!! Anyone from the Omane who went to TC yesterday should post their thoughts!

gyldenlove
08-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Good news, I like this.

Is it me or is it getting easier to get excited about Broncos football again?

Tombstone RJ
08-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Good news, I like this.

Is it me or is it getting easier to get excited about Broncos football again?

Wow, good to have you back as a fan and not just as a whiner.

Irish Stout
08-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Do you guys think the stuff that comes from denverbroncos.com is biased? I mean, they don't typically tell you who is struggling or where the f-ups were. It seems pretty accurate, but perhaps doesn't paint the whole picture.

theAPAOps5
08-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't think they would be to overly harsh as that would be biting the hand that feeds them. But they are good knowledgable guys.

As for the OM reports there was a last minute schedule conflict so that is why there were no reports. But they will be picked up again soon.

Lolad
08-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Do you guys think the stuff that comes from denverbroncos.com is biased? I mean, they don't typically tell you who is struggling or where the f-ups were. It seems pretty accurate, but perhaps doesn't paint the whole picture.

Of course it's biased. All mainstream media coverage is. Especially when you are employed by the very organization your covering.

Rabb
08-10-2009, 09:28 AM
If Moreno stays healthy, he will be an absolute monster in the league

s0phr0syne
08-10-2009, 09:30 AM
yeah, I actually think the DB reports are useful in the sense that they typically just report objective things like "so and so was in the first team line up" or "[insert name] made over the shoulder catch", etc.

You're right that they don't really offer any color commentary in terms of who messed up or who beat who, but like you said, that's expected as the team's official press men.

It's useful since they have the inside track on what the coaches are doing in certain situations, a prime example would be when they were able to find out that Barrett is going to be playing more of an LB position in some nickel packages.

gyldenlove
08-10-2009, 09:32 AM
If Moreno stays healthy, he will be an absolute monster in the league

I know, I am happy we got him.

I was big on him before the draft and I am happy to see he is can come straight in and do what he does best. He is a very flexible weapon and I would say in terms of what he can do he is a slightly slower Ladainian Tomlinson. Right now, with Hillis and Moreno we have at worst the 2nd best RB position in the AFC West.

Irish Stout
08-10-2009, 09:37 AM

I was big on him before the draft and I am happy to see he is can come straight in and do what he does best. He is a very flexible weapon and I would say in terms of what he can do he is a slightly slower Ladainian Tomlinson. Right now, with Hillis and Moreno we have at worst the 2nd best RB position in the AFC West.

Right and if Torrain and Buckhalter stay healthy we have soooo much GOOD depth at RB its nuts!!!

PRBronco
08-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Should we start being concerned about WWIII's knee? What kind of a procedure did he have done, anyways?

Borks147
08-10-2009, 09:41 AM

I agree, they definitely won't be saying "And former first round pick Jarvis Moss continues to be a bust"....although I guess he's being playing better since he came back from his personal break.

Rabb
08-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Right and if Torrain and Buckhalter stay healthy we have soooo much GOOD depth at RB its nuts!!!

zackly

gyldenlove
08-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Should we start being concerned about WWIII's knee? What kind of a procedure did he have done, anyways?

He is back today at practice, so I don't think it is much to worry about.

Broncoman13
08-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Wow!!! You are comparing him to a sure fire HOFer!?!

I AGREE! ;D

Bigdawg26
08-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Good to see Ayers, Marcus Thomas and Barrett running the with first unit. I wonder if Barrett came in strictly as a LB or did he get some work in as the safety as well?

CoopDawg
08-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I cant wait to see them line up against Cincinnati!