PDA

View Full Version : Falcons, White reach extension (2nd Highest Paid WR)

Lolad
08-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Roddy White's contract holdout is over.

The Atlanta Falcons said Saturday night the Pro Bowl receiver has agreed to a contract extension. White had been holding out for a new deal since the start of training camp.

A source said White's deal is for six years and $50 million ($18 million guaranteed). It makes him the second-highest paid receiver in the NFL behind Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald, who averages $10 million a year.

"We're always going to be an organization that rewards player who have been productive on the field for us and good citizens off the field," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. "We're glad to get this contract situation resolved and we look forward to a long association with Roddy."

His current contract was set to expire after this season and he could have become a restricted free agent in 2010. The signing comes after second-year pro Harry Douglas, who was expected to be one of Atlanta's top three receivers, went down with a season-ending injury.

In the meantime, the Falcons signed veterans Marty Booker and Robert Ferguson. White and Michael Jenkins will be the starters. Booker and Ferguson will compete with veteran Brian Finneran for the top backup spots.

Baba Booey
08-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Welp...that doesn't help the Marshall situation.

tsiguy96
08-08-2009, 06:14 PM
marshall will get a similar, slightly higher contract. hopefully midseason.

misturanderson
08-08-2009, 06:37 PM
That is a ridiculous amount of money for someone that doesn't produce top 5 WR numbers. I guess they're banking on him and Ryan putting up way better numbers for the next 6 years.

tsiguy96
08-08-2009, 06:42 PM
That is a ridiculous amount of money for someone that doesn't produce top 5 WR numbers. I guess they're banking on him and Ryan putting up way better numbers for the next 6 years.

he had like like 1400 yards last year and 1200 the year before...what else is he supposed to do?

Popps
08-08-2009, 07:01 PM
In the meantime, the Falcons signed veterans Marty Booker and Robert Ferguson. White and Michael Jenkins will be the starters. Booker and Ferguson will compete with veteran Brian Finneran for the top backup spots.

****, that could be a pretty brutal receiving corps.

meangene
08-08-2009, 10:40 PM
They recently lost Harry Douglas, who they were looking to for big things, for the season. Really put them in a bind which is why they went out and got re-treads Booker and Ferguson. Some big differences between White and Marshall - he is healthy and has no off-field issues. I'm getting the feeling Marshall is falling behind some of our other receivers to the point that, even if he is acquitted this week and gets healthy before the season starts, his role will be diminished as he will be losing playing time to the other wideouts. He really needs to step it up and step it up fast.

misturanderson
08-08-2009, 10:50 PM
he had like like 1400 yards last year and 1200 the year before...what else is he supposed to do?

Simple. Score touchdowns. You shouldn't get paid that much unless you score more than 6-7 TDs a year. Same with Marshalll.

Mr. Elway
08-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Just goes to show: With a few years of hard work and productivity on the highest level in professional sports, and you can make as much as a college kid with upside.

SoCalBronco
08-08-2009, 11:11 PM

I don't think Marshall is going to re-sign here, anyway, so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Inkana7
08-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Simple. Score touchdowns. You shouldn't get paid that much unless you score more than 6-7 TDs a year. Same with Marshalll.

White scored 7 TDs last year with a rookie at QB and 6 the year before with CHRIS REDMAN throwing him the ball. He's one heck of a receiver.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-08-2009, 11:31 PM

The stupid. It burns.

Killericon
08-08-2009, 11:40 PM
I don't think Marshall is going to re-sign here, anyway, so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

At this price? I hope not. I really wish we would package him with a 2nd and get Tommie Harris.

FireFly
08-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Marshall is going to get a huge contract. Probably bigger than this one. Might be here, might be else where. But he's going to get paid... if he's not suspended

Dr. Broncenstein
08-08-2009, 11:45 PM

I can't decide which is worse:

1. The fact that you believe Marshall will get a new contract.

2. The fact that you hope Marshall will get a new contrat.

Either way, it comes across like celebrity jeopardy.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Marshall is going to get a huge contract. Probably bigger than this one. Might be here, might be else where. But he's going to get paid... if he's not suspended

How can you possibly justify this statement? Marshall is a jaywalking ticket away from a season-long suspension... aside from his injury history. What team in their right mind would do such a thing? Oh, he's a restricted free agent next year to boot. Not only would any interested parties have to contend with his baggage, but they would have to pony up draft picks as well. There is no way Marshall gets any sort of pay raise this year. He'll get a raise in the way of a high or highest tender next year. Two years of solid, injury-fee production is the only way he gets his wish...

meangene
08-09-2009, 03:09 AM
How can you possibly justify this statement? Marshall is a jaywalking ticket away from a season-long suspension... aside from his injury history. What team in their right mind would do such a thing? Oh, he's a restricted free agent next year to boot. Not only would any interested parties have to contend with his baggage, but they would have to pony up draft picks as well. There is no way Marshall gets any sort of pay raise this year. He'll get a raise in the way of a high or highest tender next year. Two years of solid, injury-fee production is the only way he gets his wish...

Or, he is acquitted, gets healthy and some team gets desperate before the season and gives us good value for him.

IHaveALight
08-09-2009, 03:52 AM
If that's all it takes to make Marshall happy, the Broncos need to extend him now.
Think about it, we could have Marshall signed and happy long term for less money then the Chiefs just shelled out on Tyson Jackson.

Premier-Ace55
08-09-2009, 05:18 AM
I believe they should extend him however the Broncos shouldn't handle a situation based on what another team does. I'm not sure atlanta has as many soon to be free agents as the broncos. Their coach knows Roddy White. Our coach knows Brandon is good but doesn't know much else about him. Also Brandon just came off of an injury and has a pending court case. All that being said he is unstoppable and i wish they would just pay him.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Or, he is acquitted, gets healthy and some team gets desperate before the season and gives us good value for him.

We are talking about a guy who can't stay out of trouble... a guy that is on a last-chance basis with Roger Goodell. Name one team that is going to give a 1st and 3rd round draft pick for this idiot... because that is what Marshall will be worth next year in restricted free agency. There isn't one.

Broncoman13
08-09-2009, 07:53 AM

****, that could be a pretty brutal receiving corps.

Maybe about 6 years ago... lol

What has Ferguson (ever) done lately? Booker was good in Chicago and then with the Fins for a year or two... but nothing lately.

I think that with White and Gonzo catching balls and Turner taking 300+ carries, they should be just fine in spreading the ball around.

Broncoman13
08-09-2009, 07:55 AM

Actually that is pretty close to what I was expecting Brandon Marshall to end up with... I figured 5 years $42m with $20m in guarantees and achievable bonuses.

meangene
08-09-2009, 08:00 AM
We are talking about a guy who can't stay out of trouble... a guy that is on a last-chance basis with Roger Goodell. Name one team that is going to give a 1st and 3rd round draft pick for this idiot... because that is what Marshall will be worth next year in restricted free agency. There isn't one.

I'm not sure it will take a first and a third to pry him loose from us now or next year depending on how things play out. Yeah, a first and third is what it would take if a team just straight up signs him next offseason (assuming an uncapped year) and we don't match but we can certainly trade him for something less. Btw, I am not a big Marshall fan either so we are in agreement there.

koonz99
08-09-2009, 08:25 AM
This contract is a slap in the face to BMarsh. White's been making good money since he entered the league on his first round contract, essentially three or four times what Bmarsh has been making and they are essentially the same caliber receiver. Sure Bmarsh has gotten into trouble but pay the man. Write it into his contract, if he gets into trouble, he doesn't get paid. Simple as that. But first Bmarsh needs to get healthy and practicing and show McD what he's all about.

misturanderson
08-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I bet Marshall's current situation where he has sat out all but one MORNING of practice isn't helping him get traded or a new contract any faster. It's hard to tell if he really is still injured or not. Given the reports of how good he looked that first day, it's hard to think he isn't just doing the same thing he has all offseason and pulling a bitch move that is counterproductive to what he wants to happen.

misturanderson
08-09-2009, 08:59 AM
White scored 7 TDs last year with a rookie at QB and 6 the year before with CHRIS REDMAN throwing him the ball. He's one heck of a receiver.

I don't disagree that he's good, but he certainly isn't better than: Andre Johnson, Chad Ochocinco (when trying), Randy Moss, TO (production wise), Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin or Donald Driver. I would probably add some 2nd and 3rd year receivers to this list, but it's hard to tell who will jump suddenly in production (hell, Roddy sucked his first 2 years in the league).

Also, while he had a rookie QB last year, he was also a rookie QB that won offensive rookie of the year and may have had the best rookie performance from the QB position in 10+ years, I won't give him a pass for that.

boppool
08-09-2009, 09:07 AM
At this price? I hope not. I really wish we would package him with a 2nd and get Tommie Harris.

Harris is an awesome tackle, but he doesn't fit our 3-4 scheme. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy either.

Lestat
08-09-2009, 09:50 AM
whether it's the Broncos or he gets dealt... when Bmarsh signs his next deal, that SOB is gonna get paid like a top 5 pick. this contract sets the benchmark and with Marsh's numbers that past few years some agent will get him a good deal.