PDA

View Full Version : Goal Line/Short Yardage Running Back(s)

lex
08-08-2009, 02:45 PM
OK, I see a lot of people projecting which RB might get cut. Namely its centered on Jordan and Torain. A lot of the reasoning seems to center around, short yardage functionality, durability, and "knowing the system."

Why would Moreno not be this back? He can jump, contort his body and is strong in a way that has served him well around the goal line. Why then, would he not be the RB at the goal line?

How do you think Moreno will be and should be utilized? What about the other RBs?

tsiguy96
08-08-2009, 02:50 PM
hopefully the RBs are:
knowshon
hillis
buckhalter
torain

with hillis also serving as lead blocker on other plays in 2 back, which mcdaniels doesnt use a lot of. id like to see 2 guys get most of the touches since many RBs need to get going and get some touches to really be effective, 3-8 touches per back can limit their potential...

oubronco
08-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Buckhalter is a big back isn't he?

Drek
08-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm expecting the goal line crew to principally be staffed by Hillis, Moreno, Larsen, and Graham or Quinn (out of the H-back position).

Larsen and Hillis will team up for the real power running, occasionally Larsen and Moreno when Hillis needs to be spell or McDaniels wants to throw a curveball. The rest of the time it'll be Hillis and Moreno teaming up in the short yardage situations, leaving teams guessing as both can catch very well and both can pick up tough yards.

I personally think the FB dive will be a FREQUENT 3rd and short and 3rd and goal play for this team. Hillis has very good acceleration for his size, all it takes is one good opening made by our top tier interior OLs and he gets a full head of steam before the defense can even react.

cutthemdown
08-08-2009, 03:06 PM
OK, I see a lot of people projecting which RB might get cut. Namely its centered on Jordan and Torain. A lot of the reasoning seems to center around, short yardage functionality, durability, and "knowing the system."

Why would Moreno not be this back? He can jump, contort his body and is strong in a way that has served him well around the goal line. Why then, would he not be the RB at the goal line?

How do you think Moreno will be and should be utilized? What about the other RBs?

Some coaches don't like a really big RB at the goaline.

1-they take longer to reach the LOS allowing more time for a dlineman to get in backfield and make a stop.

2-They can't change direction as quickly to adapt to where the hole is.

3-They have more agility to slip under flying dbacks and avoid that type of hit.

So really it's a misnomer that you want your biggest RB to be the goaline back. The best short yardage back I ever saw was marcus allen and he wasn't big.

Hillis and Jordan are around because they are physical and can beat on the defense. Sure also to move a pile and pick up short yardage.

But like they thread originator states it could be Moreno if he has a knack for the endzone. Often size has nothing to do with that.

cutthemdown
08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm expecting the goal line crew to principally be staffed by Hillis, Moreno, Larsen, and Graham or Quinn (out of the H-back position).

Larsen and Hillis will team up for the real power running, occasionally Larsen and Moreno when Hillis needs to be spell or McDaniels wants to throw a curveball. The rest of the time it'll be Hillis and Moreno teaming up in the short yardage situations, leaving teams guessing as both can catch very well and both can pick up tough yards.

I personally think the FB dive will be a FREQUENT 3rd and short and 3rd and goal play for this team. Hillis has very good acceleration for his size, all it takes is one good opening made by our top tier interior OLs and he gets a full head of steam before the defense can even react.

Maybe but they say not to many formations in practice so far using a FB. McDaniels likes those wr that is certain.

You would think though Graham and Quinn at TE, one WR, Hillis at FB, Moreno at TB would be a formidable short yardage crew.

BroncoMan4ever
08-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I say it ends up as Moreno, Hillis, Buck, Jordan.

Torain and Walker can start packing their bags.

lex
08-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Some coaches don't like a really big RB at the goaline.

1-they take longer to reach the LOS allowing more time for a dlineman to get in backfield and make a stop.

2-They can't change direction as quickly to adapt to where the hole is.

3-They have more agility to slip under flying dbacks and avoid that type of hit.

So really it's a misnomer that you want your biggest RB to be the goaline back. The best short yardage back I ever saw was marcus allen and he wasn't big.

Hillis and Jordan are around because they are physical and can beat on the defense. Sure also to move a pile and pick up short yardage.

But like they thread originator states it could be Moreno if he has a knack for the endzone. Often size has nothing to do with that.

I agree with what youre saying about bigger not being better. And I also think Marcus Allen is a good example of a guy who was adept at either contorting his body or jumping in. I really think Moreno is possibly the better RB around the goal line by far (aside from maybe Hillis because he has his own strengths too). When you look at Moreno's best runs in college, several were around the goal line. One was against South Carolina, he also had a great run vs Alabama where he made it to the pylon, and then, of course, theres also his run at Arizona State where he went airborne.

The guy even has good enough balance where if he intially is stuffed, he might be able to improvise more out of the play.

tnedator
08-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Allen was one of the best I have ever seen. He would basically just kind of fall forward and slither his way around the offensvie and defensive linemen's legs.

On the flip side, when talking about effective large goal line backs, you have someone like Bettis.

BroncoMan4ever
08-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Allen was one of the best I have ever seen. He would basically just kind of fall forward and slither his way around the offensvie and defensive linemen's legs.

On the flip side, when talking about effective large goal line backs, you have someone like Bettis.

for Bettis size, he had some of the best feet in the NFL.

it isn't so much about size or lack of size, it comes down to vision, making quick decisions, balance and desire.

at the goal line a RB needs to be able to spot an opening in a fraction of a second, decide instantly where to go with the ball and if an opening is closed he needs the balance to bounce off a few guys and find a new whole. a lot of work goes into being a good goal line back.

cutthemdown
08-08-2009, 05:56 PM

ok good points. I also felt portis had a little of that foward type lean you talk about.

Bettis I just think special. If Hillis is Bettis like, which I don't think he is, but I do like him a lot, and Moreno worked out, that would be something special.