PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post : New CB Andre Goodman is the real deal

Bronco Rob
08-08-2009, 05:41 AM
What Broncos fans saw Thursday night from cornerback Andre Goodman at Invesco Field was not a fluke, coach Josh McDaniels said Friday.

Goodman made two interceptions off quarterback Kyle Orton and returned one of them for a touchdown.

"He's physical, he's got good ball skills and that showed up last night," McDaniels said. "He's very instinctive."

Goodman signed with the Broncos as a free agent in early March after three seasons with the Dolphins to replace Dre Bly at the right cornerback spot opposite Champ Bailey on the left. Goodman had five interceptions and 59 pass breakups last season.

Goodman said he knew when he signed with the Broncos he would be challenged by opposing offenses that shy from throwing anywhere near Bailey.

"Champ is what Champ is, and I think everyone in the league knows that, if you take a survey," he said. "There's going to be a lot of balls that come my way, maybe 95 percent of them."

That includes in practice against the Broncos' offense, especially with the right-handed Orton throwing frequently to his left, Goodman said.

Goodman said he got positive feedback from his coaches and teammates after his play in the scrimmage, but he won't let himself get too excited about anything that happens during camp.

"You can hang on that for 20 minutes after practice and then let it go," Goodman said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13019531

:thumbs:

rmsanger
08-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Awesome news... will love to hear how he supports the run!

defenseman
08-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Two int's vs. Orton? Wonderful, now let's see how you do against a "quality" NFL quaterback. Sorry, not impressed, Orton is mediorcre at best, the best measuring stick for a defensive back is against a "quality" qb not a mediocre cast off......dman

GreatBronco16
08-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Man how much longer till the first PS game? It can not get here fast enough.

Gcver2ver3
08-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Two int's vs. Orton? Wonderful, now let's see how you do against a "quality" NFL quaterback. Sorry, not impressed, Orton is mediorcre at best, the best measuring stick for a defensive back is against a "quality" qb not a mediocre cast off......dman

you sound stupid...

defenseman
08-08-2009, 07:36 AM
you sound stupid...

OK, you look stupid, now we both feel better, Yes?....dman

*Shut up moron. If you do not care for the way the sentence is constructed, provide a proposed remedy. Other than that, move along...

Ironlung
08-08-2009, 07:42 AM
hey dbag...i think he was talking about the substance, not your grammar. Would you be more impressed if he picked off ****ler twice? Even though he seemed to always throw two picks a game, and was second in the league in INT's?

colonelbeef
08-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Orton was throwing terribly, I wouldn't put too much stock into the performance of the defense, he looked like Helen Keller out there, and I don't want to give Helen Keller a bad name

defenseman
08-08-2009, 08:08 AM
hey dbag...i think he was talking about the substance, not your grammar. Would you be more impressed if he picked off ****ler twice? Even though he seemed to always throw two picks a game, and was second in the league in INT's?

I could care less what he was talking about, and his discussion was cryptic at best, it's not my job to read his freaking mind if you know what I mean. That said, if he did pick off a qb twice who was at least above-average, I'd say yes, I'd be more impressed. Orton, no matter how you cut it, is "MEDIOCRE" at BEST!!!!!!!!!!!! He's not going to light anything on fire anytime soon without TONS of help and schemeing, and even with the schemeing that may not be enough, the db has yet to prove himself against the best out there, that's where you make a name for yourself.......dman

Drek
08-08-2009, 08:12 AM
His consistently solid play is nothing surprising to me. Goodman sure did a good job denying the Cutler to Marshall connection in our home game against the Dolphins last year. In fact, you could make a good argument that him doing so was the primary reason we lost that game.

TonyR
08-08-2009, 08:14 AM
...if he did pick off a qb twice who was at least above-average, I'd say yes, I'd be more impressed. Orton, no matter how you cut it, is "MEDIOCRE" at BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may be right, but I just want to point out that Orton threw 12 Int's last season in 15 starts. That's less than 1 per game for the mathematically challenged. Perhaps he played against a lot of mediocre CB's?

Baba Booey
08-08-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm excited to see what Goodman and Hill can do. McDaniels obviously liked what he saw when NE played them last year.

defenseman
08-08-2009, 08:25 AM
You may be right, but I just want to point out that Orton threw 12 Int's last season in 15 starts. That's less than 1 per game for the mathematically challenged. Perhaps he played against a lot of mediocre CB's?

Chicago schemes did not include alot of long downfield throws, less opportunities = less int's...dman

HILife
08-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Goodman had five interceptions and 59 pass breakups last season.

59 pass breakups?!?!? That's a whole lot of pass breakups. That can't be right.

montrose
08-08-2009, 08:42 AM
He was inspired by Buff saying JMFW was going to take his spot.

Bigdawg26
08-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I like what we have in our secondary with Champ (the shut down CB) and Goodman (the ball hawking CB) who pretty much is Dre Bly that can tackle as our coners with JMFW and Smith in a good battle for nickel back. I just hope they keep up the trend even if our front 7 is not as solid as we hope and against good QB's.

Harvitz81
08-08-2009, 09:03 AM
His consistently solid play is nothing surprising to me. Goodman sure did a good job denying the Cutler to Marshall connection in our home game against the Dolphins last year. In fact, you could make a good argument that him doing so was the primary reason we lost that game.

I didn't watch any other dolphins games other than ours last year, and if Goodman played that way all year than he was a great pickup. Hell 5 INTs and 59 pass breakups is one damn good season. Considering that our entire TEAM had 6 INTs last year (and Shanny still wanted to keep Bob "play the CBs 10-15 yds off the receiver" Slowik.....boggles my mind still), if he produces near those same levels it will be worth all we are paying him.

Drek
08-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I like what we have in our secondary with Champ (the shut down CB) and Goodman (the ball hawking CB) who pretty much is Dre Bly that can tackle as our coners with JMFW and Smith in a good battle for nickel back. I just hope they keep up the trend even if our front 7 is not as solid as we hope and against good QB's.

I think this little scrimmage is giving people the wrong impression of Goodman. I wouldn't call him a ball hawk at all, and he's nothing like Bly. He's a safe, above average, corner. He doesn't take big risks and in return he won't make big mistakes. He's consistent and reliable in coverage and solid in run support. He's a lunch pail CB who last year happened to get some chances to make some big plays.

That said, he really is the perfect guy to put opposite Champ. Too often Darrent Williams (RIP) and Dre Bly would give opposing QBs an out by gambling when looking for picks instead of taking the safe stop. We need someone opposite Champ who will consistently do his job and force QBs to go to that 3rd read, or better yet, back to their 1st and potentially forcing passes in Champ's direction.

I think Smith and Williams will serve as excellent compliments out of the nickel spot as well and I wouldn't be surprised if regardless how the depth chart reads they rotate in that role. Smith is a real ball hawk and compares very well to a young Dre Bly or Antonio Winfield. He's the kind of guy we want covering opposing #3's when QBs are feeling the pressure and see Champ and Goodman playing tight to their men. That is when Smith will get to take those gambles and make big plays.

Williams on the other hand was noted for his good run support and aggressive play in college. I think he'll be ideally suited to nickel packages where we bring him on corner blitzes or potential draws and screen plays. He's still got to work on his coverage fundamentals I'm sure, but he's got a nose for the ball and he likes to hit hard.

Overall I really like our CB depth. Josh Bell did a surprisingly solid job filling in for Champ last year on short notice and he is now on the bubble to even make the 53 man roster, that is a pretty telling statement as to just how much our CBs have improved.

You can see the same at safety as well, where Vernon Fox and Barrett where starting games down the stretch last year they are now both battling to even be second string and chances are one of the two (Fox) won't even make the roster.

snowspot66
08-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Chicago schemes did not include alot of long downfield throws, less opportunities = less int's...dman

It also = less TD's and yards. Or do you expect him to magically pull those out of his ass? After throwing 616 times Cutler should have won the damned passing yardage title. But he didn't.

Orton is above average at worst. And yes it's a big deal to get picks off of average QBs because most of the league has an average QB. Only a couple teams have the luxury of a guy like Manning or Brady.

521 1N5
08-08-2009, 09:38 AM
This will be his 7th head coach in 8 years.

lex
08-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Its really easy to guess who the writer is based on the title.

Popps
08-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Its really easy to guess who the writer is based on the title.

Poor Lex.

Can't stand any positive press for the team, can you.

Can someone please ban this ****-stain again? This place was so much better without him.

OABB
08-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Poor Lex.

Can someone please ban this ****-stain again? This place was so much better without him.

I second this.

Ironlung
08-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I second this.

Who wouldn't? The guy is the biggest douche on this site, and thats sayin alot.

Archer81
08-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I didn't watch any other dolphins games other than ours last year, and if Goodman played that way all year than he was a great pickup. Hell 5 INTs and 59 pass breakups is one damn good season. Considering that our entire TEAM had 6 INTs last year (and Shanny still wanted to keep Bob "play the CBs 10-15 yds off the receiver" Slowik.....boggles my mind still), if he produces near those same levels it will be worth all we are paying him.

You know whats funny? If Denver had 4 Bailey's in the secondary, you could play 5-10 yards off the WR and still shut down the pass. Kind of fell apart when the 1 Bailey missed games. I am excited about this secondary. Good combination of youth and experience.

:Broncos:

Boss Man
08-08-2009, 11:26 AM
59 pass breakups?!?!? That's a whole lot of pass breakups. That can't be right.

Its not right, not even close to right...

Archer81
08-08-2009, 11:30 AM
ESPN stats list him having 19 pass breakups last season, and 60 for his career.

barryr
08-08-2009, 11:32 AM
The Broncos will actually have some nice depth this year, which will be a welcome change. Last year, had to pick up street free agents just to have any bodies back there who even just had marginal ability.

Hamrob
08-08-2009, 11:46 AM
It's mystifying to see how much Love Orton gets from this board. It would have been very interesting to see how everyone ranked him against other NFL QB's before he came here. I doubt there would have been anyone defending his mediocre ass then.

NFLBRONCO
08-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Orton isn't the answer longterm but, I do expect him to do better when he isn't thinking so much learning a new offense that will come over time. Matt C sat 2 yrs learned the system before he played last year that helped him alot.

2KBack
08-08-2009, 12:43 PM
It's mystifying to see how much Love Orton gets from this board. It would have been very interesting to see how everyone ranked him against other NFL QB's before he came here. I doubt there would have been anyone defending his mediocre ass then.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally don't feel the need to defend players that aren't on my team. I will say that I always liked Orton, even though I don't think ever saw him play beyond sportcenter highlights.

tsiguy96
08-08-2009, 12:44 PM

there is a reason teh press, chicago players and fans were starting to pay attention to the QB position again last year. he was playing very well. interesting how as soon as he gets here you guys think he sucks again because he doesnt throw the ball 60 yards downfield. if he plays smart and within the limits of the system without trying to score on every single pass, hell be fine.

MOCRUSH
08-08-2009, 01:50 PM
ESPN stats list him having 19 pass breakups last season, and 60 for his career.

Lindsay Jones and at least one sports editor collect paychecks at the Post and generate bilge like this....no wonder the industry is on the ropes.

Drek
08-08-2009, 02:04 PM

I said the year we drafted Cutler that we'd be smart to pursue Orton, as Chicago obviously undervalued him.

Now we've got him in an offense that is even better suited to his skills.

maher_tyler
08-08-2009, 02:20 PM

I'd give him a middle of the road rating before coming here...taking into account he really never has had much talent around him when he played in chicago..now being here..i'd say he's above average given the talent we have here!

BroncoBuff
08-08-2009, 02:27 PM
He was inspired by Buff saying JMFW was going to take his spot.

Yes, well, ::)

oubronco
08-08-2009, 02:28 PM

you are correct my man he is average at best

Archer81
08-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Jake Plummer had average physical tools but washelped by a great ground game and solid defense. Hence why Plummer was called a game manager...Orton can do the same thing for one year.

snowspot66
08-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I'd argue Plummer was physically worse in every way except scrambling ability and didn't Kubes and Shanahan get him to the Pro Bowl?

JCMElway
08-08-2009, 04:52 PM
you sound stupid...

There's constructive criticism....lol

Br0nc0Buster
08-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I'd argue Plummer was physically worse in every way except scrambling ability and didn't Kubes and Shanahan get him to the Pro Bowl?

yes
and I think Griese went while in Denver as well

baja
08-08-2009, 05:00 PM
you sound stupid...

I know him and he is....

baja
08-08-2009, 05:06 PM
I could care less what he was talking about, and his discussion was cryptic at best, it's not my job to read his freaking mind if you know what I mean. That said, if he did pick off a qb twice who was at least above-average, I'd say yes, I'd be more impressed. Orton, no matter how you cut it, is "MEDIOCRE" at BEST!!!!!!!!!!!! He's not going to light anything on fire anytime soon without TONS of help and schemeing, and even with the schemeing that may not be enough, the db has yet to prove himself against the best out there, that's where you make a name for yourself.......dman

Just a heads up D man, we all know it's you posting because DEFENSEMAN is in big blue letters in the left hand column so you need not sign every frigging post. We get that.

Bronx33
08-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I will let his play on the field tell me if hes the real deal or not until then articals like this are pure journalistic fantasy hopefully hes not another dry bly.

lex
08-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Poor Lex.

Boo hoo.

footstepsfrom#27
08-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I actually took a look at that yesterday. Some interesting observations...few and far between but they're on here.

FireFly
08-08-2009, 11:37 PM
I think Goodman, and perhaps everyone else, is going to be suprised by how many balls do get thrown Champ's way this year. I don't think we're going to see opposing QB's shying away from his side of the field nearly as much as you'd think or we've become accustomed to.

Don't get me wrong, he's still good, very good even but....

Vladimir
08-09-2009, 01:13 AM
i am very glad Goodman is doing well. I hope he plays like this in the regular season and into the playoffs!!

Atwater His Ass
08-09-2009, 03:43 AM

I'll break this down for you:

H
O
M
E
R
S

defenseman
08-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Just a heads up D man, we all know it's you posting because DEFENSEMAN is in big blue letters in the left hand column so you need not sign every frigging post. We get that.

I sign it just for you, I know it annoys you to no end...dman

Gcver2ver3
08-09-2009, 08:51 AM
OK, you look stupid, now we both feel better, Yes?....dman

*Shut up moron. If you do not care for the way the sentence is constructed, provide a proposed remedy. Other than that, move along...

ath20-27 was right genius...

i could care less about your "sentence structure"...lol...

you sound stupid because you're proclaiming how poorly Orton will play before the snap of the 1st football...

he's learning a new system and he's working hard...let's wait and see what he does before already saying he can only be avg at best...

that's what sounded stupid...

Cito Pelon
08-09-2009, 11:09 AM

You're just looking for ways to bag on Orton & McD.

Ironlung
08-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I think Goodman, and perhaps everyone else, is going to be suprised by how many balls do get thrown Champ's way this year. I don't think we're going to see opposing QB's shying away from his side of the field nearly as much as you'd think or we've become accustomed to.

Don't get me wrong, he's still good, very good even but....

I hope you're right!