PDA

View Full Version : Another Moreno article- Post says deal is close

Hercules Rockefeller
08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13009329

Significant progress has been made in contract negotiations between the Broncos and running back Knowshon Moreno, an NFL source said tonight.

An agreement on what will be a 5-year deal has not yet been reached for the team's top draft pick, but it's getting close. Moreno was still in Georgia as the Broncos prepared for their scrimmage tonight at Invesco Field at Mile High.

The worth of Moreno's deal is expected to be at least $22 million ($2 million more than No. 13 pick Brian Orakpo) with a guarantee in excess of $12.5 million.

Moreno was selected No. 12 in the first round of the April draft.

Hercules Rockefeller
08-06-2009, 05:49 PM
And I'll say what I've said multiple times before, until his agent thinks KM needs to leave Georgia and come to Denver, it's not that close.

HILife
08-06-2009, 05:51 PM
And I'll say what I've said multiple times before, until his agent thinks KM needs to leave Georgia and come to Denver, it's not that close.

I second that.

Mr. Elway
08-06-2009, 05:52 PM
THE DEAL IS DON...

wait never mind.

orange 4 life
08-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Good to hear. The kid needs to get his butt to practice. I was among those having a meltdown when we drafted him (given our stable of running backs and other more pressing needs), but regardless we're better off with him than without.
Personally, I was happy to go into camp with Hillis and Torain (along with the carry overs and free agents), but you can never have too many backs (witness last season!!), and MAYBE, just maybe, this kid IS something special.
I wanted the pick used on defense, but I'm excited to see if Moreno can push for a starting spot, or at least push the guys at the top and maybe work his way into the lineup over time. Here's to hoping!!!

521 1N5
08-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Wait. He is STILL not in Denver? I thought he came in yesterday?

tsiguy96
08-06-2009, 05:57 PM
schefter says its THISCLOSE.
last time he said that, ayers was signed within hours.

gunns
08-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I just do not understand these kids. Can they not control their own lives, do these agents have that much control? So what if another guy makes a mil more. How much do you have now? I just don't get it.

Kid A
08-06-2009, 06:08 PM

Maybe, but that could just be another bargaining tactic. Either way, I hope we can see him in camp by tomorrow afternoon.

Gcver2ver3
08-06-2009, 06:14 PM

can't argue with your logic...

Drek
08-06-2009, 06:23 PM

I just do not understand these kids. Can they not control their own lives, do these agents have that much control? So what if another guy makes a mil more. How much do you have now? I just don't get it.

Pro football is played by big men at high speeds. A career can end in an instant.

See why its important if he makes an extra million? That extra million is the difference between him living comfortably and his entire family being able to live comfortably.

I think Alonzo Mourning expressed it best when asked how he felt about being the highest paid player in the NBA, despite Jordan obviously being the best. His response was that he sure wasn't going to feel bad watching the 15 cousins he's putting through college graduate. A lot of these guys are in a position to dramatically improve not just their lives but the lives of their immediate and even extended family. The more money he makes the more comfortably he can reach out to help people.

As for his agent having too much power, I'm sure like with all other guys in his situation he's decided on a date where he simply NEEDS to be in camp assuming the offer on the table is reasonable. It hasn't reached that point yet for him. As someone else said in another thread, I can see why. Hillis and Buckhalter are looking very good and Moreno knows he's going to only be a rotational part of the offense initially regardless, with time to learn. He's got some flexibility, but despite that it sounds like his side is just as anxious to get this done as the Broncos FO.

cutthemdown
08-06-2009, 06:24 PM

RBS last on average what? like 4 yrs? The contract he has to sign will be what 5 yrs? 6 yrs? I fully understand these kids and the desire to get as much as possible.

maher_tyler
08-06-2009, 06:34 PM

I agree its out of hand...they really need to come up with a Cap number for these rookies coming in. Something like 5M max for top 10 guys and so on and get paid more on performace etc. It should be like any business, you have to earn your pay raise, it should not be given to you!!

baja
08-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Good to hear. The kid needs to get his butt to practice. I was among those having a meltdown when we drafted him (given our stable of running backs and other more pressing needs), but regardless we're better off with him than without.
Personally, I was happy to go into camp with Hillis and Torain (along with the carry overs and free agents), but you can never have too many backs (witness last season!!), and MAYBE, just maybe, this kid IS something special.
I wanted the pick used on defense, but I'm excited to see if Moreno can push for a starting spot, or at least push the guys at the top and maybe work his way into the lineup over time. Here's to hoping!!!

How's tricks Jake? Back any better?

He damn well better start soon, he was the 12th player taken....

I think McD took him because he wants a feature back to carry the load (move the chains and keep the D off the field ) until he can install his playbook and get everyone on the same page.

tsiguy96
08-06-2009, 06:40 PM
if mcdaniels knew how deep our RB depth is without knowshon, i wonder if he would have moved up for raji...either way cant wait to see him in camp.

gyldenlove
08-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Pro football is played by big men at high speeds. A career can end in an instant.

See why its important if he makes an extra million? That extra million is the difference between him living comfortably and his entire family being able to live comfortably.

I think Alonzo Mourning expressed it best when asked how he felt about being the highest paid player in the NBA, despite Jordan obviously being the best. His response was that he sure wasn't going to feel bad watching the 15 cousins he's putting through college graduate. A lot of these guys are in a position to dramatically improve not just their lives but the lives of their immediate and even extended family. The more money he makes the more comfortably he can reach out to help people.

As for his agent having too much power, I'm sure like with all other guys in his situation he's decided on a date where he simply NEEDS to be in camp assuming the offer on the table is reasonable. It hasn't reached that point yet for him. As someone else said in another thread, I can see why. Hillis and Buckhalter are looking very good and Moreno knows he's going to only be a rotational part of the offense initially regardless, with time to learn. He's got some flexibility, but despite that it sounds like his side is just as anxious to get this done as the Broncos FO.

In reality the extra million is the difference between going bankrupt 14 or 16 months after your retirement because so many players have the financial sense of donkeys.

ZONA
08-06-2009, 07:05 PM

Sure, more money means you can help out family and stuff, but more money also means bigger posse's and we all know that's the truth, fo sho.

lex
08-06-2009, 07:19 PM
If they say this often enough, theyll eventually be right. What a joke this is turning out to be.

WABronco
08-06-2009, 07:44 PM
if mcdaniels knew how deep our rb depth is without knowshon, i wonder if he would have moved up for raji...either way cant wait to see him in camp.

BAHAHAHAHA.

Ya, Buckhalter is gonna be straight beast! 600 yards...bustin' out!

tsiguy96
08-06-2009, 07:48 PM
BAHAHAHAHA.

Ya, Buckhalter is gonna be straight beast! 600 yards...bustin' out!

buckhalter is a very good spell RB, hes been great so far in camp and has a career average of like 4.9ypc. peyton is same the as always, awesome. torain has played well this camp too.

WABronco
08-06-2009, 07:52 PM
RBS last on average what? like 4 yrs? The contract he has to sign will be what 5 yrs? 6 yrs? I fully understand these kids and the desire to get as much as possible.
Agreed.

If you put yourself in his shoes, there's no way that you're going to be indifferent to an extra mil or a mil less or whatever the amount. You're not gonna be all "Well GOLLY COACH MCDANIELS I WANT TO BE IN CAMP AND BY GOLLY IM GONNA SIGN WHATEVER I GET 'CAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!"

Please. You should be used to it by now. Haggling for contracts is part of the game. Deal with it and knock off the "OMG I'd take the minimum to play" garbage.

With that said, yes, the rookie pay thing is defunct. You can't reasonably expect a X% increase to continue year after year. Hopefully it is worked out in the CBA.

WABronco
08-06-2009, 08:00 PM
buckhalter is a very good spell RB, hes been great so far in camp and has a career average of like 4.9ypc. peyton is same the as always, awesome. torain has played well this camp too.

Denver Broncos Political Spectrum:

[Left](SoCalBronco)--------------[Moderate]-------------(TSIGUY)[Right]

Buckhalter is a 30+ career backup. Hillis, yes he's a nice piece. Torain...really? I really doubt McDaniels is thinking "Hmmm shoulda went with someone else" because of a petty little holdout.

BroncoMan4ever
08-06-2009, 11:28 PM
if mcdaniels knew how deep our RB depth is without knowshon, i wonder if he would have moved up for raji...either way cant wait to see him in camp.

how deep our depth is? just because there are a lot of guys in the backfield doesn't mean we have good depth. Hillis, Torain, Buckhater, Jordan, Walker are the guys currently on the field.

Buckhalter and Torain have shown they are not capable of staying injury free and the fact that Buck is on the wrong side of 30 and because of that, another RB was needed. Jordan is a fine pickup for short yardage situations but isn't a feature back, and Walker is at best camp fodder. Hillis is the only guy who MIGHT have been capable of carrying the load, but as good as he is as a RB he is better being a jack of all trades, running, blocking and receiving, because he is far too dynamic to just be a RB. so no, we don't have a lot of depth at our RB position.

OBF1
08-06-2009, 11:54 PM
In reality the extra million is the difference between going bankrupt 14 or 16 months after your retirement because so many players have the financial sense of donkeys.

Quoted and Repp'd for truth. :thumbsup:

Drek
08-07-2009, 05:14 AM

Sure, more money means you can help out family and stuff, but more money also means bigger posse's and we all know that's the truth, fo sho.

Of course, my mistake. Every player is an absolute moron. Adam Jones and his ilk aren't the exception to the rule, they are the rule. Never mind the fact that the vast majority of the league's top players actually DON'T get in trouble every off-season, have their own personal charities they fund out of pocket, and do great things in their current and former communities. Of course Moreno will be Lawrence Phillips 2.0, so why bother giving him the benefit of the doubt.

ELEVATION
08-07-2009, 05:22 AM
how deep our depth is? just because there are a lot of guys in the backfield doesn't mean we have good depth. Hillis, Torain, Buckhater, Jordan, Walker are the guys currently on the field.

Buckhalter and Torain have shown they are not capable of staying injury free and the fact that Buck is on the wrong side of 30 and because of that, another RB was needed. Jordan is a fine pickup for short yardage situations but isn't a feature back, and Walker is at best camp fodder. Hillis is the only guy who MIGHT have been capable of carrying the load, but as good as he is as a RB he is better being a jack of all trades, running, blocking and receiving, because he is far too dynamic to just be a RB. so no, we don't have a lot of depth at our RB position.

its a whole hell of alot better than selvin young, pittman, andre hall, pj pope, cory boyd, tatum bell....i mean heck pittman was the only decent back we had.....

gyldenlove
08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Of course, my mistake. Every player is an absolute moron. Adam Jones and his ilk aren't the exception to the rule, they are the rule. Never mind the fact that the vast majority of the league's top players actually DON'T get in trouble every off-season, have their own personal charities they fund out of pocket, and do great things in their current and former communities. Of course Moreno will be Lawrence Phillips 2.0, so why bother giving him the benefit of the doubt.

You do realize that according to recent statistics a staggering 78% of ALL NFL players file for bankruptcy within 24 months of retiring from the NFL. 78%!

That means about 62 of the players we have on the roster right now will file for bankruptcy shortly after retiring if they keep the trend up. He might be one of the 22%, I hope he is, but facts are facts.

lex
08-07-2009, 11:26 AM
You do realize that according to recent statistics a staggering 78% of ALL NFL players file for bankruptcy within 24 months of retiring from the NFL. 78%!

That means about 62 of the players we have on the roster right now will file for bankruptcy shortly after retiring if they keep the trend up. He might be one of the 22%, I hope he is, but facts are facts.

Sorry but if you can be shrewd on the front end of the contract, you can be shrewd along the way.

IA-Broncosfan53
08-07-2009, 11:35 AM
When does it become the responsibility of the player to not go out and buy lavish homes and cars? It's their own fault for filing for bankruptcy, I don't think that should ever been a problem the broncos in the negotiations are considering.

Rabb
08-07-2009, 11:41 AM
When does it become the responsibility of the player to not go out and buy lavish homes and cars? It's their own fault for filing for bankruptcy, I don't think that should ever been a problem the broncos in the negotiations are considering.

yep exactly

people that are millionaires for a long time stay that way because they don't live like millionaires

gunns
08-07-2009, 11:43 AM

I understand all of that, but we all adjust our lifestyle to what we make and right now he isn't making a damn thing so if he has 15 cousins too, they are **** out of luck. As far as the injuries, same thing, get on the field show what you have, make some more and if something happens before that, you got something. And he NEEDS to be in camp NOW.

GreatBronco16
08-07-2009, 12:34 PM

Well, with their college education, they should have no problem going out and getting a pretty nice job then. But heaven forbid should they have to do that and make normal people money. How will they ever survive?

gyldenlove
08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Sorry but if you can be shrewd on the front end of the contract, you can be shrewd along the way.

By that logic no rich person should ever go bankrupt, and we know that rich people go bankrupt pretty often. Getting money is not the same as holding on to it.

Rock Chalk
08-07-2009, 12:44 PM
I think most of you missed the point of Drek's post.

Put yourself in any player's shoes drafted in the first round.

1) You know you are going to get paid.
2) You know you might not every get out of your first contract.
3) You cannot barter with other teams to find the highest bidder.
4) If a career ending injury happens, the odds of making the big big money they make are slim.
5) You likely do not have a whole lot right now and probably never did, so getting the most to help as many of your family members as possible is intriguing.

Seriously, I dont like that players hold out anymore than anyone else. But if ANY of you are goign to sit here and tell me that you would not hold out KNOWING you could get an extra million dollars or something, you are a ****ing liar.

SoDak Bronco
08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Broncos and Knowshon Moreno real close to ending his Knowshow. I think deal tonight.about 1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/3183990270) from UberTwitter (http://ubertwitter.com/)

Drek
08-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I think most of you missed the point of Drek's post.

Put yourself in any player's shoes drafted in the first round.

1) You know you are going to get paid.
2) You know you might not every get out of your first contract.
3) You cannot barter with other teams to find the highest bidder.
4) If a career ending injury happens, the odds of making the big big money they make are slim.
5) You likely do not have a whole lot right now and probably never did, so getting the most to help as many of your family members as possible is intriguing.

Seriously, I dont like that players hold out anymore than anyone else. But if ANY of you are goign to sit here and tell me that you would not hold out KNOWING you could get an extra million dollars or something, you are a ****ing liar.

We have a winner in the "I can actually see other people's perspectives!" competition.

He's a first round pick so immediately he isn't like 90% of the guys who've played in the NFL. Him going that high shows a certain pedigree and level of pre-NFL accomplishment that teams have always paid a premium for. Why shouldn't he want the same?

It would be a sign of massive fiscal irresponsibility if he signed a below market deal just to make it into camp.

I'd be willing to bet the primary reason he isn't signed is that the Broncos FO are low balling him, knowing they have Buckhalter, Hillis, etc. to carry the load and that even if Moreno was in camp day one he'd still only be one part of a larger RB stable. They have a lot of leverage in not needing him in camp ASAP and so they're using it to negotiate a good deal for them. In response Moreno is doing the one thing he can do, not show up, until they make him a legitimate offer.

Paladin
08-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Interesting number. Can you break that down by the size of the original contract? When do you think the Mannings will file for bankruptcy?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I won't believe it til Athan and Warpaint Illustrated say that it is so. You know, like they did with the "Shanahan to KC" "deal is done" stuff.

lex
08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
By that logic no rich person should ever go bankrupt, and we know that rich people go bankrupt pretty often. Getting money is not the same as holding on to it.

No. Youre saying theyre capable of being shrewd with money. The excuse that they need a lot of money up front because theyre just going to squander it is a feable one.

Youre all over the place with this.

Chris
08-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Knowshon wood guys

get it?

gyldenlove
08-07-2009, 05:22 PM
No. Youre saying theyre capable of being shrewd with money. The excuse that they need a lot of money up front because theyre just going to squander it is a feable one.

Youre all over the place with this.

My point is that most NFL players go bankrupt with a few years of retiring, if they have more money it will just take a bit longer before it happens.

The difference is that very few players, and no player who gets a good contract does the negotiation and shrewdness themselves. That is why god invented agents. As soon as the money is in the bank, the agent goes away and the player takes over.

Who do you think negotiated Michael Vick's record contract with the Falcons and his enormous endorsement deals that made him one of the top 10 highest paid athletes in the world? Do you think it is the same person who spend all that money and declared bankruptcy last winter?

I am saying the players are mostly idiots when it comes to money. The agents on the other hand, very good negotiators.

BroncoMan4ever
08-07-2009, 10:49 PM
its a whole hell of alot better than selvin young, pittman, andre hall, pj pope, cory boyd, tatum bell....i mean heck pittman was the only decent back we had.....

i'm not arguing that even without Moreno that we would be better off than last season. but, without Moreno, we still weren't that great. upgraded over last year yes, but still mediocre. Knowshonn gives us our 1st legit need to be gameplanned for RB since Portis.(i consider Hillis a jack of all trades guy and not a RB)

BroncoMan4ever
08-07-2009, 10:59 PM

bull****. there are around 2000 players in the NFL every season, counting practice squad guys. of those 2000, there are only a few a-holes who make asses of themselves. guys like Vick, Pacman, Ricky Williams, and just random a-holes who blow their money and destroy their lives are not the majority of the NFL players. every year a few guys get into trouble, but the vast majority are hard working guys who aren't out causing themselves, their team or community any trouble.

more money doesn't mean anything, it just has to do with the type of person these players are. thugs like Vick or Pacman are the same thugs they were when they were poor as they are now with millions in the bank

Moreno doesn't seem like that type of guy, he seems like a good guy, has a good head on his shoulders and is just making sure he gets everything he can now, because for him playing in the NFL it is very likely that he will never get another chance at another multi-million dollar deal.