PDA

View Full Version : OT: So I'm Going to NY for the First Time Ever Next Month

ghwk
08-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Well I saw how well this worked for the Rev. when he asked for cruise advice but I figured I try it anyway. I'm assuming everyones suggestion of dolphin secks went ignored however.

I have 2 days in NY in mid-late Sept.flying into JFK. I need suggestions on what to do and where to stay that won't break the bank. I would like to see the statue and ellis island as well as maybe take in a show. The Yanks are on the road but the Mets are in town. I have gotten suggestions from Brooklyn to Times Square as far as places to look for a hotel. Ideally the room would be 150 or less a night.

Ok everyone fire away.....

Peoples Champ
08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
time square, priceline it, its worth it, then you can walk places

Tombstone RJ
08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Stay in Jersey, ride the train in, you won't regret it. Don't believe the naysayers, Newark is a beautiful town...

not

Hogan11
08-06-2009, 02:12 PM

....sound advice, just remember to avoid the Hotel Carter at all costs.

Peoples Champ
08-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Ya, we were at the double tree, it was perfect location, and a nice hotel in time square. not sure how much it was. Its just when I am on vactation, I will pay a little more for location just so I dont have to worry about hassling with navigating trains and cabs

NYBronc
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Stay on Long Island - Rockville Centre. Only 30 minutes to Penn Station on the Long Island Rail Road

Peoples Champ
08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
if your on a budget, dont go to NYC. Its one of the most expensive places in the world. A Chipotle burrito cost me $11 there. I pay $6 here.

Meck77
08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Not so fast peoples champ. Wow. They are giving rooms away in Sept.

http://www.hotels.com/processIndexSearch.do;jsessionid=29DD32B17FA2AE9EB 6C0EBF3CADD7E3B.appho06tc04?searchType=point&destination=usertyped&fromNewSearchPage=true&acDestinationId=&acDestinationType=4&lat=40.78756123781204&lon=-73.96537363529205&pointName=Manhattan%2C+NY&usertypedcity=Manhattan%2C+NY&trackType=VE&userEnteredDestination=manhatan+new+york&defaultLandingPageUserType=&checkIn=9%2F1%2F2009&checkOut=9%2F3%2F2009&CIMonth=9&CIDay=1&CIYear=2009&COMonth=9&CODay=3&COYear=2009&numrooms=1&adults[0]=2&child[0]=0&refined=true

Peoples Champ
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Not so fast peoples champ. Wow. They are giving rooms away in Sept.

http://www.hotels.com/processIndexSearch.do;jsessionid=29DD32B17FA2AE9EB 6C0EBF3CADD7E3B.appho06tc04?searchType=point&destination=usertyped&fromNewSearchPage=true&acDestinationId=&acDestinationType=4&lat=40.78756123781204&lon=-73.96537363529205&pointName=Manhattan%2C+NY&usertypedcity=Manhattan%2C+NY&trackType=VE&userEnteredDestination=manhatan+new+york&defaultLandingPageUserType=&checkIn=9%2F1%2F2009&checkOut=9%2F3%2F2009&CIMonth=9&CIDay=1&CIYear=2009&COMonth=9&CODay=3&COYear=2009&numrooms=1&adults[0]=2&child[0]=0&refined=true

Wow, for real, travel inn in times square is $115 a night. You cant even get that in STL. Hilton Garden Inn times square is only $250, thats cheaper then Chicago

Hogan11
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Ya, we were at the double tree, it was perfect location, and a nice hotel in time square. not sure how much it was. Its just when I am on vactation, I will pay a little more for location just so I dont have to worry about hassling with navigating trains and cabs

I agree totally with you. I do the very same thing. However, the Carter is in the very heart of the Square and if someone is trying to do NYC on the cheap and figures they can deal with this hell hole because of it's location, they're in for a very rude awakening.

ghwk
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM

i'll add that one to my list of places not to stay, thanks Hogan.

TheReverend
08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Well I saw how well this worked for the Rev. when he asked for cruise advice but I figured I try it anyway. I'm assuming everyones suggestion of dolphin secks went ignored however.

I have 2 days in NY in mid-late Sept.fly8ing into JFK. I need suggestions on what to do and where to stay that won't break the bank. I would like to see the statue and ellis island as well as maybe take in a show. The Yanks are on the road but the Mets are in town. I have gotten suggestions from Brooklyn to Times Square as far as places to look for a hotel. Ideally the room would be 150 or less a night.

Ok everyone fire away.....

I got great advice. Sure there was some fun stuff in there, but everyone was really helpful and made it pretty amazing.

ghwk
08-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I got great advice. Sure there was some fun stuff in there, but everyone was really helpful and made it pretty amazing.

Yeah I know, I was kidding, and it was probably me that made the comment about the Dolphin secks..... :wave:

ghwk
08-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I've never used priceline but on the dates I requested the Travel Inn doesn't pop up as available. On Hotel.com it's 175 per night. Doable if need be.

ghwk
08-06-2009, 02:57 PM
ANyone have deli/pub recommendations?

Broncobuddy7
08-06-2009, 05:55 PM
My favorite place is Manhattan (Greenwich Village) is Cafe Wha. Great live music! Beautiful women everywhere. It's near Washington Square Park and NYU. Blue Note is also fun if you like Jazz, but you need a reservation. Wherever you go in Manhattan, it's much cheaper to have a few drinks in your room before you go out. The drinks are typically $12 and up. But I highly recommend Cafe Wha. I go everytime I'm in Manhattan and I haven't been disappointed yet. Keep in mind that the party really doesn't start until around midnight on the weekends. That entire area is fun because there are so many bars and restaurants packed into a small area. So if you don't like one place you walk across the street and hit another. Times Square is way too touristy for me, and it gets a little shady in certain places at night.

Ratboy
08-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I was thinking about going to NYC in November, not sure how the weather would be too. I'll probably just stay in Florida when I head back to the states.

Dukes
08-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Go to the Mean Fiddler (Irish bar) near time square........ all sorts of shenanigans going on there. Oh and ride the subway at least once.... you'll never know what you'll see.

lazarus4444
08-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Go see the Empire State Building.

Dukes
08-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Oh and go on top of the Empire State Building, the view is worth it. Also, Central Park is very cool.

ghwk
08-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming! :thumbsup:

Meck77
08-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Mile High Mikes in New Jersey...It's attached to a hotel. Great rate, awesome food, it's a straight up football/tailgate bar. Pretty quick train ride into the city.

Unofficial home to the Omane in NY.

Jersey/NY what's the f'in difference!

.....PM B-love for details....Just seeing his basement is reason enough to go to NY.

Chris
08-06-2009, 09:48 PM
DON'T stay in times square thats not NY. Only for tourists

ghwk
08-06-2009, 10:04 PM
DON'T stay in times square thats not NY. Only for tourists

Ok but I kinda AM a tourist. So what's my alternative?

ghwk
08-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Mile High Mikes in New Jersey...It's attached to a hotel. Great rate, awesome food, it's a straight up football/tailgate bar. Pretty quick train ride into the city.

Unofficial home to the Omane in NY.

Jersey/NY what's the f'in difference!

.....PM B-love for details....Just seeing his basement is reason enough to go to NY.

If I'm that direction when the Broncos play on Sunday the 20th against the Brownies it would be cool to hang out with folks there.

loborugger
08-07-2009, 06:10 AM
Go hungry. Man, some of the best meals I have ever had were in Manhattan. Some are even reasonably priced. There is a reason why you wont see an TGIRubyBees in Manhattan. They would never make it - no offense to those who actually consider that good eating.

Peoples Champ
08-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Ok but I kinda AM a tourist. So what's my alternative?

Ya, since your a tourist, be a tourist.

I would do the secret local stuff only if you know someone there who is a local that can show you the ropes. I love going to cities with someone who knows everything about it, where to and where not to go. But if you dont have that someone, you might as well do the Famous tourist things.

Jason in LA
08-07-2009, 07:21 AM
I was just there a few weeks ago. Two days isn't enough, but if that's all you, i'd avoid the tourist spots, and anything that will take up the bulk of your day.

I've been to the Statue of Liberty, and it's a complete waste of time. Most New Yorkers have never been there. I didn't even think about going there on my trip a few weeks back. It's going to take you too long to get down to the ferry, and then the ride is going to be long, and then your time at the statue is going to be long, then you have to ride the ferry back. That's a good amount of your day, and you only have two of them. It's really not worth the trip, especially because you have a limited time there.

I'd also skip the Empire State Building, unless the line is short. That line can be up to 2 hours long, and again, you only have two days.

I stayed away from Time Square for the most part. Went there twice, and wasn't there that long either time. That really doesn't seem like NY to me. Seems like Vegas.

During the day I had a list of places that I wanted to eat at, and I checked out places that were on my way to those restaurants. I didn't really have a plan, but just kind of stumbled onto places.

As for night life, this website here helped me out. http://keystothecity.urbandaddy.com/ Has a listing of a lot of bars, lounges, clubs, restaurants, and other cool stuff. Like it was said before, the party doesn't start until really late, like midnight to 1am. That kind of surprised me. Places don't close until 4am. One night I was out with some folks and we left the club at 4am, ended up at a diner, and when we left the diner the sun was coming up. That's how they do it all the time.

Be prepared for a lot of walking. Actually, I'd say that was the best part of my trip. Just walking around. Manhattan is a very odd place. It's like everything they do on that island is just different from anywhere else. Get a day pass for the subway. I got a week pass and went everywhere on the subway.

Hope this helps.

Oh, one more thing, when you're leaving the airport, there will be guys asking you if you need a cab, say no. You might be taken for a ride. One guy asked me, and I was like cool. So we walk past the cab area, and now I'm starting to think this is BS. Then we walk to the parking lot right next to the cab area to an unmarked Ford Explorer. I then asked him to show me his permits. And he said sure, and loaded my bags and he hops in the car ready to drive off. So I'm like, are you going to show me the permit. Dude was like yeah, don't worry, I have it. Then I told him to show me, and then he got out and unloaded my luggage. I went to find a real cab at that point. Yeah, New York is great! lol

OABB
08-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Central park is just about my favorite place in America. It's summer, so the girls will be out in their bikini's playing frisbee. Good times...

also, if you see a guy in a trench coat with a video camera and one arm in his pocket seething like a snake on cocaine, stop by and say hi. Just wait till I finish with the wetnap.

colonelbeef
08-07-2009, 08:02 AM

absolutely not. Times Square is Disney MTV tourist central, stay the hell away if you actually want to experience New York.

I would suggest staying either in the West village, LIC queens area (right across the 59th Street bridge), Upper East, or Upper West Side. I'm not sure what $150 can get you, but I am sure that you could stay somewhere in downtown Brooklyn for that price. The statue and Ellis island are important and all, but really if you are looking to experience New York, I would get a slice of pizza in Brooklyn here http://www.grimaldis.com/2/Index.htm , I would take a walk around Wall Street, I would check out battery park and the world trade center area, I would check out central park and the commanding views of the midtown towers, I would take a walk down Park Avenue in the 60's, I would check out midtown on 5th Ave and Rockefeller Center, I would check out the West (Greenwich) Village, and finally the East Village. That should occupy a full 2 days.

Chris
08-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Check out downtown. East village, west village... lower east side during the week (weekends it becomes Jersey nowadays). Stay away from Greenwich village - college kids and tourists.

Chris
08-07-2009, 09:50 AM
What is your food budget? Would you be willing to spend 40 bucks on a great meal?

If so go to Momo***u SSam on 12th and 2nd. It's one of the top restaurants in the city for a whole lot less than the midtown places that caters to tourists and older folks.

TheReverend
08-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Yeah I know, I was kidding, and it was probably me that made the comment about the Dolphin secks..... :wave:

Blowholes are very smooth, fyi

SouthStndJunkie
08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
The food kicks ass.

I am willing to go there and pay more for food....but it is generally worth splurging and paying the NYC prices on a vacation.

Go to Peter Luger's Steakhouse in Brooklyn.

http://www.peterluger.com/

ghwk
08-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Blowholes are very smooth, fyi

Seeing the pic of your date on the cruise, somehow I don't think a dolphin was what you were referring to...Hilarious!

supermanhr9
08-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Wow, for real, travel inn in times square is $115 a night. You cant even get that in STL. Hilton Garden Inn times square is only $250, thats cheaper then Chicago

That's insane, I can hardly believe it.