PDA

View Full Version : Royal emerging as Broncos offensive centerpiece

Bronco Rob
08-06-2009, 07:03 AM
The Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With just a little room to run during red zone drills, Denver Broncos wide receiver Eddie Royal bolted past one defender and used a nifty move to slip by another. An instant later, he was in the clear in the end zone where quarterback Kyle Orton hit him with a 10-yard dart.

That scene from Wednesday has become a familiar one during the Broncos training camp, where the second-year wide receiver is being groomed as an offensive centerpiece after a breakout rookie campaign a year ago.

"He sticks out every day," Denver coach Josh McDaniels said. "Eddie is a very talented player, a lot of ability, very smart, versatile. We move him all over the field. He's very unselfish, wants to do what's best for the team. He's accepted his role and he's doing a great job with it so far."

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Royal provided a vivid demonstration of his capabilities last season. He set team rookie records for with 91 receptions, 980 yards receiving, and five touchdown catches. He also became the first player since the 1970 NFL merger to post his team's longest run (71 yards), reception (93 yards), kickoff return (95 yards), and punt return (36 yards) in the same season.

Royal finished with four games in which he had nine or more receptions, including a club rookie record 11 catches in a season-ending loss to the San Diego Chargers.

For his part, Royal is less impressed by those numbers than the opportunity to build on them, by improving his play as an individual and contributing to any overall improvement as an offense.

"I'm just coming out here and trying to get better every day," said Royal, who broke into the league as a second-round pick out of Virginia Tech. "It's not about individual stats at all. It's about winning. We want to win and we want to get to the playoffs."

The Broncos haven't done that for three consecutive seasons. The drought fueled a tumultuous offseason that included the firing of two-time Super Bowl winning coach Mike Shanahan and the trading away of Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler after he clashed with McDaniels, the former New England offensive coordinator brought in to replace Shanahan.

While the new Broncos coach hasn't been shy about making personnel changes on both sides of the ball, Royal is one holdover whom McDaniels has wholeheartedly embraced.

McDaniels has cited Royal's impact as a return man on top of his eagerness to learn the new offensive system that the coach brought with him from New England and his determination to build chemistry with Orton and backup Chris Simms. Both quarterbacks are in their first season in Denver.

"Learning the new terminology, learning where to line up, the different motions, it's tough, but at the same time, it's fun and it's challenging," Royal said. "You've got to come out here and challenge yourself, not only physically but mentally. We're working at that every day. Coach is putting challenges in front of us and we're trying to meet them together."

Royal said his working relationship with Orton and Simms is getting better by the day.

"They're both really good quarterbacks," Royal said. "They're accurate. They're getting better with their reads and they're getting the ball to us quickly, so I'm excited about it."

Simms had a birds-eye view of Royal's catch during red-zone drills and said the play encapsulated the receiver's ability to get open anywhere on the field.

"His talent - you guys have seen it - speaks for itself," Simms said. "He's unbelievably quick and fast and has very surprising strength for somebody his size as well."

While noting that Royal was one of the smartest receivers he's ever been around and a distinct talent in his own right, McDaniels said he could see a day where, in terms of efficiency and production, Royal could be likened to Wes Welker, whose 111 catches for New England last season were second-most in the league.

"Hopefully, you'll be talking about Eddie Royal in that same breath," McDaniels said.

That would suit Royal just fine. "That's what I'm here working for," Royal said

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1173787.html

:afro:

Irish Stout
08-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Great Article! Royal has the right attitude and the ability to become a franchise favorite. How can you not love this guy?

Gcver2ver3
08-06-2009, 07:20 AM
i agree, that really is a great article...

i like to see players like royal get rewarded for their great attitude...

bpc
08-06-2009, 07:24 AM
I love the potential Royal has, especially in this type of offense. Here's to hoping he takes the next step.

Garcia Bronco
08-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Of course he is...he's a Hokie.

Karenin
08-06-2009, 07:36 AM
i wonder how many people here that were bitching about the royal pick are the same people bitching about the smith pick. probably a lot.

lex
08-06-2009, 08:56 AM
While noting that Royal was one of the smartest receivers he's ever been around and a distinct talent in his own right, McDaniels said he could see a day where, in terms of efficiency and production, Royal could be likened to Wes Welker, whose 111 catches for New England last season were second-most in the league.

"Hopefully, you'll be talking about Eddie Royal in that same breath," McDaniels said.

That would suit Royal just fine. "That's what I'm here working for," Royal said

This part of the article is not exactly truthful regarding what McDaniels said. I saw the interview where McDaniels was talking about Royal. When someone asked him if he would be like Welker, McDaniels made a point to say that Eddie Royal is his own guy and has his own strengths.

When I heard the interview, I didnt get "he will be Welker" at all. The impression I had was that McDaniels actually thinks he is better or far less limited than Welker.

Eldorado
08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
lex, which running back should we have taken instead of that useless punt returner?

Fusionfrontman
08-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Man Royal is great... can't wait to see what he does this season

bfoflcommish
08-06-2009, 09:27 AM
i wonder how many people here that were b****ing about the royal pick are the same people b****ing about the smith pick. probably a lot.

Smith...as in Rod?????? wasn't "picked"

Punisher
08-06-2009, 09:33 AM
In Royal we trust

atomicbloke
08-06-2009, 09:37 AM
In a few years, he will develop the leadership ability too. I hope he is with us for his whole 15 year career.

I see flashes of Rod Smith in terms of the impact he can have on the franchise.

Hercules Rockefeller
08-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Alphonso?

Karenin
08-06-2009, 09:41 AM
yea, alphonso. i'm not sure how anyone could have possibly thought i was talking about rod, given the context.

Popps
08-06-2009, 09:43 AM
yea, alphonso. i'm not sure how anyone could have possibly thought i was talking about rod, given the context.

It was a pretty bad analogy in the first place, so it probably threw people off.

Houshyamama
08-06-2009, 09:45 AM

Alphonso

edit: late to the party

Popps
08-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I love the potential Royal has, especially in this type of offense. Here's to hoping he takes the next step.

He's going to be moving all over the place. Can't wait to see how we utilize him. The Welker comparison has become cliche, but Royal really does stand to see similar touches/numbers.

Apparently Lloyd had a good practice yesterday. I think McDaniels sees him as his discount version of Randy Moss. He and Orton had a bit of chemistry in Chicago. I hope he can really focus in and have a career year. He's a legitimate deep threat when he's on top of his game.

Royal, Gaffney, Stoke, Royal are a pretty good set of 4 receivers. Then, you've got McKinley, Jackson, etc. to fight it out for the 5th spot.

Karenin
08-06-2009, 09:55 AM
It was a pretty bad analogy in the first place, so it probably threw people off.

umm... there was no analogy made. go look up the word and try again, champ.

BroncoMan4ever
08-06-2009, 10:03 AM
i can't wait until next season when teams are looking for their own Eddie Royal.

Rock Chalk
08-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Sorry, but Royal > Welker.

He could have caught 130 balls last year had Cutler not zeroed in on Marshall during a 6 game stretch in the middle of the season.

Pony Boy
08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I think we are starting to see a pattern here of guys that are team players, hard workers and keep their mouth shut. No room for prima donnas !!! I would be happy with a team full of guys like Royal and Hillis. I'm sick of the B Marsh types !!!!

Houshyamama
08-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I think we are starting to see a pattern here of guys that are team players, hard workers and keep their mouth shut. No room for prima donnas !!! I would be happy with a team full of guys like Royal and Hillis. I'm sick of the B Marsh types !!!!

Yeah, sure you are. Until he stiff arms a corner, jukes a safety and takes it 40 yds to the house. :~ohyah!:

I guarantee you all will be forgiven if he goes out there and plays well.

Eldorado
08-06-2009, 11:00 AM

He could have caught 130 balls last year had Cutler not zeroed in on Marshall during a 6 game stretch in the middle of the season.

No need for an apology.

Rabb
08-06-2009, 11:10 AM

Royal is just a great overall guy that probably has great people surrounding him...I love it. I think Eddie seems like a genuinely good person, like Rod Smith used to strike me, and that makes him my favorite. Him being a talented bastard helps.

Hulamau
08-06-2009, 11:12 AM
i wonder how many people here that were b****ing about the royal pick are the same people b****ing about the smith pick. probably a lot.

I loved 'em both from the word go! Selected Eddie as my guy the day we drafted him.

elsid13
08-06-2009, 11:15 AM

I called Smith the steal of draft before it occurred and I still think the FO screwed up giving up next year 1st.

Hulamau
08-06-2009, 11:18 AM
He's going to be moving all over the place. Can't wait to see how we utilize him. The Welker comparison has become cliche, but Royal really does stand to see similar touches/numbers.

Apparently Lloyd had a good practice yesterday. I think McDaniels sees him as his discount version of Randy Moss. He and Orton had a bit of chemistry in Chicago. I hope he can really focus in and have a career year. He's a legitimate deep threat when he's on top of his game.

Royal, Gaffney, Stoke, Lloyd are a pretty good set of 4 receivers. Then, you've got McKinley, Jackson, etc. to fight it out for the 5th spot.

No kidding Popps, most teams would kill for that line up .. and it doesn't even include Marshall! I really hope Marshall comes around in every way, health wise, attitude and gets in sync with Orton and the program, then t there is no team that even comes close to us from top to bottom of their WR corp.

But even if Marshall can't even play this year, we're not hurting at all at WR! Marshall is almost a bonus now. A HUGE bonus, no doubt, but no longer essential for our passing success.

Beantown Bronco
08-06-2009, 11:22 AM
I really hope Marshall comes around in every way, health wise, attitude and gets in sync with Orton and the program, then t there is no team that even comes close to us from top to bottom of their WR corp.

Arizona disagrees. New England would have an argument as well.

UberBroncoMan
08-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Arizona disagrees. New England would have an argument as well.

Was about to bring up Arizona. Don't agree with New England though... especially seeing as how we just took their #3 receiver from last year... was also have their former 2nd round WR draft pick and their former #1 TE... interesting eh?

Borks147
08-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Was about to bring up Arizona. Don't agree with New England though... especially seeing as how we just took their #3 receiver from last year... was also have their former 2nd round WR draft pick and their former #1 TE... interesting eh?

oh god and remember how many people wanted Jackson in the first round that year?

orange 4 life
08-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Of course he is...he's a Hokie.

LOL.

I remember playing golf when we drafted him, and you saying back then he'd be much more than a return guy. Good thing you were right!!

This guy seems to have the heart and class of a Rod Smith, and if Marshall can keep it together, we could have a REALLY good one two punch with these guys. Add Stokely to the mix, and it makes it awful tough on a defense, especially with a new qb who's lips (and eyes and arm for that matter) aren't firmly attached to Marshall's ass and our offense could be something special, even without a special player under center.

baja
08-06-2009, 05:51 PM

I thought the same.

Just look at what Royal did that first game when marshall was suspended.

listopencil
08-06-2009, 06:14 PM

You could look up the responses instead of bitching about people bitching.

Karenin
08-06-2009, 07:31 PM
nah, i'm not going to do that. and when exactly did i bitch?

listopencil
08-06-2009, 10:18 PM
nah, i'm not going to do that. and when exactly did i b****?

You just did. I quoted it.

extralife
08-06-2009, 10:30 PM
In a few years, he will develop the leadership ability too. I hope he is with us for his whole 15 year career.

I see flashes of Rod Smith in terms of the impact he can have on the franchise.

It's hard not to see Rod in him, and it's hard to not want to see Rod in him. Guys like Rod Smith don't come around every day, and with all the crap going around our franchise lately, it's nice to see we may have ended up with another one right away.

hambone13
08-07-2009, 12:01 AM
You could look up the responses instead of b****ing about people b****ing.

It's glaringly apparent you're from the peoples republic of California because this is just an a-hole statement from the start. Try and keep it in Cali.

Bronco Rob
08-07-2009, 10:35 AM
8')

mhgaffney
08-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Remember how the douche bags ragged on the Royal pick. Just goes to show.

Royal douche bags.

Karenin
08-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Remember how the douche bags ragged on the Royal pick. Just goes to show.

Royal douche bags.

careful, you're about to get trolled by idiots like old man poops and listopencil who don't like you pointing out how wrong they were about the royal pick. they'd rather you just listen to them rant about the smith pick and hope you forget about their earlier idiocy.

footstepsfrom#27
08-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Well I liked the Royal pick but I confess I saw him more as a slot receiver making his impact mostly as a return guy and he exceeded all expectations...and I wasn't happy over the Smith pick because of what we gave up to get him. I'm cautiously on board with him now but I still think we over paid...and I think that's the thing that separates the two picks IMO...the price paid. So these two situations aren't really that similar unless you're just comparing them for their physical size.

Karenin
08-07-2009, 11:50 AM
yea, people complained about the picks for primarily the same reasons (too small, not a position of need, i think poops said something retarded like royal was a "novelty pick" and probably said the same thing about smith). people who had obviously not seen them play and were basing their worth entirely on the players' height. you'd think they'd have learned their lesson from royal, but no, it's the same crew bitching about smith being a nickel corner at best, nevermind that he's about the same size as some of the best corners in the league.

Karenin
08-07-2009, 11:51 AM
and if smith produces at a high level, it doesn't matter that we gave up a first rounder. in fact, it's much better because he's a lot cheaper.

footstepsfrom#27
08-07-2009, 11:55 AM
and if smith produces at a high level, it doesn't matter that we gave up a first rounder. in fact, it's much better because he's a lot cheaper.
That depends on what that 1st rounder turns out to be. If Orton screws the Pooch and the pick we gave up turns out to be one that could have produced a franchise QB, you better believe it will matter. If that happens...especially if Smith is anything less than a total stud, then this board will be far more upset over the pick than they were the first time.

I wish people would get off this "cheaper" argument. If we take that approach you can argue that it's a good idea to trade ALL the high picks and just stock up on late round wild cards. Does that seem like a smart idea?

Karenin
08-07-2009, 01:01 PM
i dunno, ask belichick, who's been using a similar strategy for many years now.