PDA

View Full Version : 8/5 PM Report: SoCal, Buff, Montrose

SoCalBronco
08-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I. ROOKIE HAZING AND INITIAL DRILLS

Practice appeared to start with rookie hazing. It seemed like the team was hosing the rookies down but they also looked pretty dirty after they came back on the field so maybe they made them go through some kind of mudslide, too. I joked with Montrose that since Josh was basically a rookie, he should have gone through it, too. ;D

QB's also started with the bag drill. Brandstater was the only QB that had the ball dislodged from him during this segment. On the other side of the nearest field, the OL/DL were doing they're one on one's again. Fields did a nice job. Did not really get a good angle of the others involved.

The team continues to spend alot of time working on punt stuff, specifically fakes. The punters themselves also got some work but unlike the previous practice they didn't get very good hangtime.

II. QUARTERBACKS- Orton looked pretty decent at this practice. I've noticed that he's alot better whenever he steps up in the pocket. He hit Royal on a number of dig routes over the middle. He also developed some good chemistry with Brandon Lloyd, who had a good practice himself. At times, the QBs are still having accuracy problems, especially when hurried. Orton's best pass was a deep sideline route to Gaffney. Orton continues to have a problem in checking down, though.

III. RUNNING BACKS- Lamont Jordan had a little more pop in his step in this practice. He made some nice cuts. Wasn't as sluggish out there as before. Unfortunately, there were two important segments of practice involving O v. D where we were sort of walled off from the action based on where the players were standing, so we couldn't see much of the other backs. Buckhalter still makes good plays out of the backfield on passes, especially wheels.

IV. WIDE RECIEVERS- Another day without Marshall. Lloyd was the standout at this practice. He made a number of really nice catches, especially one in the back of a crowded endzone during red zone drills. I suspect he's still behind Gaffney (who had a great catch of his own deep, with Josh Bell all over him), but he's definitely in the top 5. McKinley caught a few passes here and there, but he was most noticeable on a play where he blew past Alphonso Smith and was wide open deep, but Orton did not appear to see him. Stokley continues to be in the top 5 catching balls from the slot. Right now, I'd put it as follows: 1. Marshall 2. Royal 3. Gaffney 4. Stokley 5. Lloyd
6. McKinley 7. Swift. I really hope McKinley can crack the top 5 because I really don't want to expose him on the PS. He might not make a huge impact this year, but I think he has "it".

V. TIGHT ENDS- Scheffler as well as Graham were a little more active than usual. Scheff caught several passes but did have some drops. Did not notice Quinn too much, but he was out there. Did not really notice Jeb at all.

VI. OFFENSIVE LINE- I'm starting to get worried about Polumbus. Some of the 2nd team DL and OLBs are starting to beat him regularly. The most egregious mistake on his part was missing an assignment. He blocked down on the interior defender leaving Jarvis Moss completely wide open for an unblocked sack. I'm not sure whether Polumbus is having issues with the blocking scheme or what. Crowder also cleanly beat him.

Broncoman13
08-05-2009, 07:46 PM
I. ROOKIE HAZING AND INITIAL DRILLS

Practice appeared to start with rookie hazing. It seemed like the team was hosing the rookies down but they also looked pretty dirty after they came back on the field so maybe they made them go through some kind of mudslide, too. I joked with Montrose that since Josh was basically a rookie, he should have gone through it, too. ;D

QB's also started with the bag drill. Brandstater was the only QB that had the ball dislodged from him during this segment. On the other side of the nearest field, the OL/DL were doing they're one on one's again. Fields did a nice job. Did not really get a good angle of the others involved.

The team continues to spend alot of time working on punt stuff, specifically fakes. The punters themselves also got some work but unlike the previous practice they didn't get very good hangtime.

II. QUARTERBACKS- Orton looked pretty decent at this practice. I've noticed that he's alot better whenever he steps up in the pocket. He hit Royal on a number of dig routes over the middle. He also developed some good chemistry with Brandon Lloyd, who had a good practice himself. At times, the QBs are still having accuracy problems, especially when hurried. Orton's best pass was a deep sideline route to Gaffney. Orton continues to have a problem in checking down, though.

III. RUNNING BACKS- Lamont Jordan had a little more pop in his step in this practice. He made some nice cuts. Wasn't as sluggish out there as before. Unfortunately, there were two important segments of practice involving O v. D where we were sort of walled off from the action based on where the players were standing, so we couldn't see much of the other backs. Buckhalter still makes good plays out of the backfield on passes, especially wheels.

IV. WIDE RECIEVERS- Another day without Marshall. Lloyd was the standout at this practice. He made a number of really nice catches, especially one in the back of a crowded endzone during red zone drills. I suspect he's still behind Gaffney (who had a great catch of his own deep, with Josh Bell all over him), but he's definitely in the top 5. McKinley caught a few passes here and there, but he was most noticeable on a play where he blew past Alphonso Smith and was wide open deep, but Orton did not appear to see him. Stokley continues to be in the top 5 catching balls from the slot. Right now, I'd put it as follows: 1. Marshall 2. Royal 3. Gaffney 4. Stokley 5. Lloyd
6. McKinley 7. Swift. I really hope McKinley can crack the top 5 because I really don't want to expose him on the PS. He might not make a huge impact this year, but I think he has "it".

V. TIGHT ENDS- Scheffler as well as Graham were a little more active than usual. Scheff caught several passes but did have some drops. Did not notice Quinn too much, but he was out there. Did not really notice Jeb at all.

VI. OFFENSIVE LINE- I'm starting to get worried about Polumbus. Some of the 2nd team DL and OLBs are starting to beat him regularly. The most egregious mistake on his part was missing an assignment. He blocked down on the interior defender leaving Jarvis Moss completely wide open for an unblocked sack. I'm not sure whether Polumbus is having issues with the blocking scheme or what. Crowder also cleanly beat him.

You don't keep 4 and 5 receivers unless they can play STs... If it comes down to McKinley or Stokley... bye bye Stokes.

montrose
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
The weather was very nice at practice this evening along with some great well-intentioned ribbing between SoCal, Buff and I. They had some type of rookie hazing thing at the beginning that was hard to see but it appeared that the rookies were sliding in mud. They had to practice the entire session in mud-soaked uniforms – it was funny.

Not as much individual work this evening and quite a bit of 9-on-7 as well as 11-on-11 in the red zone. The lineman had some one-on-ones that included Moss beating Clady (not by much but a victory nonetheless) and Parker destroying Olsen.

Once they got to team, considerable time was spent in the nickel and dime packages. The 4-man line rushing with the first units was Ayers, Reid, Peterson and Dumervil – all of which where doing a pretty good job collapsing the pocket and forcing Orton to throw the ball quickly. JMFW had another good practice swatting away a few passes and positioning himself well to blow up a WR screen to Gaffney. Goodman looked good as well, it appeared as though he picked off Orton although it may have been deflected. Bruton worked with the first team at SS for Dawkins and looks very naturally athletic. I did notice a few times he was lost in zone coverage and can be susceptible to playaction as can McBath. Speaking of McBath, he was beaten by Lloyd on an in route for a TD in what can only be described as a vintage Brandon Lloyd-spectacular catch. The route was very reminiscent of one Brady used to through to David Givens in the red zone during the Pats SB years.

Orton was mostly sharp although he missed Buckhalter on what would’ve been an easy checkdown and threw the other direction which resulted in the play I think Goodman picked off. Orton threw a beautiful deep ball to Gaffney who beat Bell on the play – maybe Kyle’s prettiest play of camp thus far.

I thought the front 7 outplayed the OL today as Powell, Parker and Baker all did a good job controlling the LOS and pushing back the pocket. As hard as this may be for some to believe, I’m glad our OL won’t be going up against our DL for an entire actual game as the DL size does present our OL with some problems. Didn’t notice much of Dumervil and Reid but was again impressed with Crowder who played well holding outside contain and Ayers who was giving Clady and Harris all they could handle while rushing the passer – I didn’t get a chance to see Ayers in coverage. Clady was beaten badly by Peterson on a run play that got Buckhalter demolished.

Buckhalter continues to be the best back though, showing good vision and great lateral quickness to the outside. Jordan looked much better today, showing some explosion and good vision. Torain didn’t practice and Hillis was mostly at FB and not involved a great deal. I’ve noticed that as we move into the red zone we’re abandoning the ZBS for more power run plays like counters, traps, isos, dives and off tackle runs. We’re still inconsistent at them as our DL and ILBs are doing a good job plugging the gaps but Jordan has a very nice knack for running those types of plays.

Practice concluded with a very spirited goal-line drill in which Buckhalter beat Barrett to the corner for a TD, Scheffler made a spectacular TD catch reminiscent of his one against the Bears on a bad Simms pass and someone (I think DJ or Bruton) rocked Jordan making him appear to fumble.

The team had to run suicides again at the end of practice, noteworthy was Simms again leading his group, Thomas well behind all of the OL/DL and Ayers coming in last of the LBs. I got Clady’s autograph after practice and had a chance to meet Wiegmann and talk OL play for a bit. We also met Kuper and spoke to him about his dad being on the side. SoCal asked him if he had any messages for his dad and he said, “Yeah, tell him to get off there.”

SoCalBronco
08-05-2009, 07:49 PM
VII. DEFENSIVE LINE- Did not notice any of them. In part, this was because we were at a bad angle for some of the important portions of practice. The front did appear to do a little better vs. the run in this practice, though. I did notice that Chris Baker absolutely destroyed a backup interior OL on one occasion, as well as Kenny Peterson (Montrose believed that on that play, Peterson actually beat Clady). The first team nickel defensive line is a 4 man line and is as follows: Dumervil, Peterson, Reid and Ayers).

VIII. LINEBACKERS- Crowder continues to show. Ayers had a pass deflection that I saw. I spoke with underrated29 after practice and he had a better angle of some of the stuff we couldn't see. He noticed something very important about Ayers which needs to be ironed out fast. He observed that for a number of consecutive plays, Ayers heel was up (pre-snap) before a blitz, but he always had his heel down when he would drop back. Coaches need to clean that up, as it will definitely give things away to the opponent.

IX. DEFENSIVE BACKS- Tony Carter quietly is having a decent camp. He had at least one pass breakup. He's very short and almost rail thin which puts him at a disadvantage, but he's feisty. Smith and JMFW both had decent practices with passes defensed for each. JMFW is still running ahead of Smith on the depth chart, however. Cornerback D.J. Johnson (#35) had an interception. I thought Goodman had a solid practice. He's generally not noticeable but made some plays this evening. The only time I noticed Darcel McBath was on a deep pass from Orton to Lloyd which was overthrown. He had good, tight coverage on Lloyd, however.

X. MISC.

After practice, the OL were signing things. Montrose got a small helmet signed by Clady. We also saw Chris Kuper and asked him whether he had a message for his Dad. :). We also told him we saw his wedding pictures (not the one with Khan, however, as much as I was tempted to mention it. :) ).

24champ
08-05-2009, 07:49 PM
SoCal asked him if he had any messages for his dad and he said, “Yeah, tell him to get off there.”

Hilarious!

worm
08-05-2009, 07:50 PM
If it comes down to McKinley or Stokley

It won't.

SoDak Bronco
08-05-2009, 07:50 PM
You don't keep 4 and 5 receivers unless they can play STs... If it comes down to McKinley or Stokley... bye bye Stokes.

Stokley would be a shocker if he is cut. I think we keep both and say bye bye to Lloyd.

Broncoman13
08-05-2009, 07:56 PM
We also met Kuper and spoke to him about his dad being on the side. SoCal asked him if he had any messages for his dad and he said, “Yeah, tell him to get off there.”

Awe man, that's not cool... was he kidding?

SoDak Bronco
08-05-2009, 07:56 PM
haha that is funny about Kuper..I bet he was like, geez dad you are hanging out on the net with these dorks? come on.. lol

DBroncos4life
08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
SoCal what are your thoughts about D J Johnson 35? He is my sleeper player this year, even before we picked him up.

Gcver2ver3
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
our Dline going up against the strength of our team (Oline) is only going to help their development...

they will hold their own once the season starts...

kent156
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Montrose is Powell, Parker and Baker having this success against the first team oline or just the backups?

montrose
08-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Stokley would be a shocker if he is cut. I think we keep both and say bye bye to Lloyd.

We actually should have quite a few backups (and some starters) from other positions that can play well on special teams allowing us to maybe keep an extra WR whose not a STer like Stokley.

1) Spencer Larsen
2) Wesley Woodyard
3) Darrell Reid
4) Andra Davis
5) Josh Barrett
6) Darcell McBath
7) David Bruton
8) Jack MF Williams
9) Alphonso Smith
10) Correll Buckhalter
11) Peyton Hillis
12) Kenny McKinley
13) Richard Quinn
14) Eddie Royal
15) Tony Scheffler
16) Lonnie Paxson (aka Bob)
17) Matt McChesney
18) Tyler Polumbus
19) Kory Lichtensteiger
20) Daniel Graham
21) Brandon Lloyd
22) Tim Crowder
23) Kenny Peterson
24) Marcus Thomas
25) Jabar Gaffney

There's 25 players that have have been used in the past on special teams units who could be on the final roster. Because of this, I think we could get by keeping BMarsh, Eddie, Jabar, Stokley, Lloyd and McKinley even though Stokley won't be on the units as a #4. Keep in mind, Stokley's contract was reworked this offseason and if I recall correctly, it virtuallly guarantees he'll be here this season.

montrose
08-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Awe man, that's not cool... was he kidding?

SoCal doesn't think so :)

Montrose is Powell, Parker and Baker having this success against the first team oline or just the backups?

They've been mixing them all in and out so it's hard to say although if I had to rank the DL based on who they've been matched up against and their success thus far, I'd rank them:

1) Powell
2) Thomas
3) Parker
4) Fields
5) Baker
6) Peterson
7) Pedescleaux
8) Davis

Broncoman13
08-05-2009, 08:06 PM
I would agree, if we keep 6 receivers Stokes will stick. He's a solid and sound receiver. I would even take him over Lloyd, I just have a bad feeling about his future with McD. IMO, he is the same guy as Gaffney and there's no way McD cuts Gaff.

Broncoman13
08-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Man and Kaylore has given him so much love...

gyldenlove
08-05-2009, 08:07 PM
haha that is funny about Kuper..I bet he was like, geez dad you are hanging out on the net with these dorks? come on.. lol

He knows his dad has already uploaded his wedding pictures, I bet he is worried about some of those awful picture from sophomore homecoming or standing butt naked in a pool of mud showing up around here.

Broncoman13
08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Maybe too much... that's probably it... Surprise butt secks thing probably scares him a little ;D

SoCalBronco
08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
SoCal what are your thoughts about D J Johnson 35? He is my sleeper player this year, even before we picked him up.

Well...he had a pick today, although he has been pretty quiet otherwise. I suspect the numbers dictate that he's probably not going to make it, though. The top 4 are pretty much set it in stone. They might keep an extra one. I suspect that Bell and possibly Carter might be ahead of Johnson. Today helped him, tho.

montrose
08-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Man and Kaylore has given him so much love...

Hilarious!

Kahn and Kuper wish they have what Alphonso and I do.

SoCalBronco
08-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Maybe too much... that's probably it... Surprise butt secks thing probably scares him a little ;D

Yeah....I was speculating that he was prolly kinda in a grumpy mood because Khan didn't come out to see him, tonight.

cutthemdown
08-05-2009, 08:12 PM

Stokley the most obvious for the surprise cut list.

Still though I bet McDaniels has a yearning for a certain amount of vets on the team. He may see Stokelys leadership as an offset to no special teams.

Also he has practice squad to stash a player or 2.

kent156
08-05-2009, 08:16 PM
They've been mixing them all in and out so it's hard to say although if I had to rank the DL based on who they've been matched up against and their success thus far, I'd rank them:

1) Powell
2) Thomas
3) Parker
4) Fields
5) Baker
6) Peterson
7) Pedescleaux
8) Davis

what do you think of ryan mcbean is he just getting pushed around a lot?

The MVPlaya
08-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Stokely is not getting cut lol.

SoDak Bronco
08-05-2009, 08:23 PM
We also saw Chris Kuper and asked him whether he had a message for his Dad. :). We also told him we saw his wedding pictures (not the one with Khan, however, as much as I was tempted to mention it. :) ).

You didn't show him my photo edit from Khans wedding ROFL!

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2301512#post2301512

Broncoman13
08-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Stokley the most obvious for the surprise cut list.

Still though I bet McDaniels has a yearning for a certain amount of vets on the team. He may see Stokelys leadership as an offset to no special teams.

Also he has practice squad to stash a player or 2.

I think the list that Montrose put up in terms of players that have experience in STs or were drafted to play/assist with STs is as strong of an argument as I've seen. Just keep in mind that Stokley was very critical of some of the moves that McDaniels and Co. made, most notably the Lonnie Paxton/Mike Leach thing.

outdoor_miner
08-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Buckhalter continues to be the best back though, showing good vision and great lateral quickness to the outside.

Better than Hillis?

Hillis was mostly at FB and not involved a great deal.

Whenever I read something like this, I little fear pops up that McD will not utilize Hillis as much as I'd like to see (which would piss me off to no end). I guess I've read I few straight reports where Hillis has not seen a ton of action, and I'm hoping it's just the coaches wanting to see what other guys can do.

I think I've got a little man crush of my own. :clown:

SoDak Bronco
08-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Are you guys impressed at all with the rookie QB? Do you think he will be a clipboard guy on the 53 man roster or will he be a PS guy? Is he a potential player in this system?

montrose
08-05-2009, 08:33 PM
what do you think of ryan mcbean is he just getting pushed around a lot?

I forgot about McBean, I suppose I'd slot him in before Davis. He just doesn't make much of an impact out there. I have no idea why he's running with the 1st team other than to motivate Thomas.

Better than Hillis?

As a HB, yes. Hillis' value to me is his versatility and he certainly has the ability to run the ball well. I think at this point Buckhalter is a better natural HB though, he has explosive lateral quickness and is very good in pass protection. Buck's got a great feel for draw plays and is a really underrated pass receiver.

Whenever I read something like this, I little fear pops up that McD will not utilize Hillis as much as I'd like to see (which would piss me off to no end). I guess I've read I few straight reports where Hillis has not seen a ton of action, and I'm hoping it's just the coaches wanting to see what other guys can do.

Don't worry, he'll be used in a lot of different ways. He's been at FB and HB as well as split wide. They've used him on several screen passes as well as running the ball. Keep in mind that this offense is being built as a SYSTEM and not around PLAYERS as our previous HC did. Therefore we'll see some things put in for Hillis but we're not going to be building these things into the core offense but rather using them to compliment our base principles (screens, RB passes, intermediate routes, running game).

Are you guys impressed at all with the rookie QB? Do you think he will be a clipboard guy on the 53 man roster or will he be a PS guy? Is he a potential player in this system?

He's really raw. I'm thinking PS although there've been times he looks better than Simms. His reps are really inconsistant. He'll get a ton one practice and next-to-none at another. He really needs to work on his accuracy and ball security.

Irish Stout
08-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks as always guys!

BroncoBuff
08-05-2009, 08:39 PM
TRAINING CAMP REPORT - Wednesday, August 5

Lost in the Haze

The always popular annual Rookie Hazing led off a relaxed two-hour practice under cool evening skies. Led by head coach Josh McDaniels, the veterans used a garden hose to wet down the rookies as they slid past single file on what looked to be a “slip-n-slide.” The rooks were then required to trot right out on the practice field soaked through, Richard Quinn and Tom Brandstater taking the worst of it. Quinn looked like he was lugging an extra twenty pounds or more in water weight.

Ryan Torain, Brian Dawkins and Brandon Marshall missed the session. No official word on specific injuries, but McDaniels did divulge that Dawkins had injured "a body part." So it appears we'll see Josh following Mike Shanahan and his mentor Bill Belichek in dispensing injury dis-information.

After the signature stretching period, the punt team lined up. Britton Colquitt shanked a punt toward the crowd, and after several bounces Montrose himself snagged the ball in mid-air, and immediately gave BroncoBuff the honor of tossing it back … Alphonso Smith cut upfield to give Buff a target, and despite a tight spiral, Buff's pass fell about two yards short. Your humble reporter insists Smith misread the coverage, but, ever defensive of Alphonso, (ever defensive, if you know what I mean, not that there’s anything wrong with that), montrose insisted it was Buff who’d made the wrong read. We’ll check the film and get back to you.

Defense

The first team D-line in the nickel set was new tonight, from left to right: Robert Ayers, Kenny Peterson, Darrell Reid and Elvs Dumervil. Reid’s move inside marks what Buff insists to be the first time ever that a player has moved from OLB to DT in a single practice. Carlton Powell continues to make his case for a starting spot. After a quarterback sack yesterday, tonight he sent Kory Lichtensteiger five yards into the backfield with a single blast.

Wesley Woodyard joined D.J. Williams at LB in the 4-2-5 nickel, in the same spot Spencer Larsen lined up in yesterday. Hard to really gauge what they’re planning with these different groupings, as they change from session to session. Two local sportstalk shows Wednesday praised the play of Tim Crowder, making talk host Sandy Cough’s speculation Crowder might be in danger seem less credible. Jarvis Moss rotated in behind Ayers, and sacked Chris Simms, though his danger of losing a job remains highly credible.

David Bruton ran primarily with first team in Dawkins’ absence. After a massively impressive practice Tuesday, Jack Williams moved ahead of Alphonso Smith in the nickel package, though Smith joined him in the dime. Josh Barrett played big nickel with Bruton.

Cornerback Andre Goodman made his first real impression of the last four days, deftly knocking down a Kyle Orton pass intended for Brandon Stokley, and later intercepting a Chris Simms pass on the far side, although the ball might have bounced first. Sometimes it’s hard to identify whether the ball is live or dead, as defensive coordinator Mike Nolan demands that any time the ball comes free, the entire defense must take off together upfield. This kind of turnover drill injects unexpected moments of excitement, as linebackers and safeties rush together the other way. At one point Kenny McKinley chased Renaldo Hill more than forty yards upfield, laughing the whole way at McKinley’s “poor tackling skills."

Offense

In this subdued evening practice, not much of note on offense. Eddie Royal and Tony Scheffler effortlessly caught everything thrown their way. In the absence of Brandon Marshall, both Chad Jackson and Kenny McKinley ran with the first team. Brandon Lloyd and Nate Swift also joined with McKinley and Jackson on the second team offense. Nate Swift is making a very strong case for the practice squad … he runs crisp routes and catches everything within reach.

Kyle Orton completed a nice touchdown through a narrow window in the back of the end zone to Brandon Lloyd, who had shaken Darcel McBath, and Tony Scheffler held on to another touchdown, despite a big hit from Jack Williams just as the ball arrived.

On an afternoon sportstalk show on 104.3 The Fan, CU Buff alums Tyler Polumbus and Matt McChesney joined CU and Bronco legend Alfred Williams. The three joked about not feeling too motivated to block much for Corell Buckhalter (a Nebraska alum of course). Both Polumbus and McChesney are running with a solid second-team offensive line, along with Seth Olsen, Kory Lichtensteiger and Clint Oldenberg. The smart money is on Oldenberg and Blake Schleuter to the practice squad, with McChesney making the team if they go with nine.

Off the Field

Broncos COO Joe Ellis was interviewed on 104.3 The Fan during morning drive time. In response to questions about Brandon Marshall’s status, three times Joe slipped in the caution that Brandon’s off-field situations must be addressed. Seemed to this reporter to be a subtle signal of where the team stands regarding their talented Pro Bowl man-child wideout. Ellis pointed out there were several players in their fourth years that were not demanding new deals just yet, and that no such reworkings had occurred with the franchise since Terrell Davis’ got an early reworking of his contract in 1997.

The offensive linemen joined the fans for autographs tonight. BroncoBuff asked Ben Hamilton if he was the "last of the non-talkers.” Ben laughed and shook his head, “we’re a dying breed,” he said. In fact, Hamilton is the last remaining member of the Bronco’s silent offensive lineman tradition that began in the glory years with Gary Zimmerman and Tom Nalen. Time marches on.

Rumors ran through Dove Valley – from Adam Schefter and other good sources – that Knowshon Moreno will sign Thursday, and after his physical and conditioning test, might be on the field with the team for the afternoon session to be held at Invesco Field.

MOST IMPRESSIVE TONIGHT: Too low-key of a practice to pick out a star of the day.

LEAST IMPRESSIVE TONIGHT: The second teams offense, who together ran a lap because of a false start. Chris Simms led the most of the way round the field, but Kory Lichtensteiger sprinted to the tape for the “victory.”

Paladin
08-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Keep in mind that this offense is being built as a SYSTEM and not around PLAYERS as our previous HC did.

Never hurts to be reminded that. I think I am less invested in who makes the team or not this year because there are a number of factors that intervene in the decisions the coaches will make. It is possible they will keep one guy because he does something well, and other things not so much. Until we see how the team is built, it seems to me not real easy to list out who will make it althought I will grant there are some core guys that will be there. But when you talk about the marginal players and backups, that's not easy......

s0phr0syne
08-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I forgot about McBean, I suppose I'd slot him in before Davis. He just doesn't make much of an impact out there. I have no idea why he's running with the 1st team other than to motivate Thomas.

As a HB, yes. Hillis' value to me is his versatility and he certainly has the ability to run the ball well. I think at this point Buckhalter is a better natural HB though, he has explosive lateral quickness and is very good in pass protection. Buck's got a great feel for draw plays and is a really underrated pass receiver.

Don't worry, he'll be used in a lot of different ways. He's been at FB and HB as well as split wide. They've used him on several screen passes as well as running the ball. Keep in mind that this offense is being built as a SYSTEM and not around PLAYERS as our previous HC did. Therefore we'll see some things put in for Hillis but we're not going to be building these things into the core offense but rather using them to compliment our base principles (screens, RB passes, intermediate routes, running game).

He's really raw. I'm thinking PS although there've been times he looks better than Simms. His reps are really inconsistant. He'll get a ton one practice and next-to-none at another. He really needs to work on his accuracy and ball security.

zowie!Yikes!:pity::saywhat::thumbsdow:tearhair: :puff:

(I know I know, there are advantages to this way, but I think I just differ philosophically in terms of what I would do with a team if ever given the chance [which I won't be])

kupesdad
08-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Hilarious!

I just got off of the phone with him and he asked me why I was logging on to a transexual friendly website

Not that there's anything wrong with it

Rock Chalk
08-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Personally, I think he is at minimum a 3 year project and at best (at least right now) a backup NFL QB.

WHo knows how much he can improve though. Dude does have the tools, but its putting everything together AND staying loose that seems to be his problem.

DBroncos4life
08-05-2009, 08:47 PM
TRAINING CAMP REPORT - Wednesday, August 5

The always popular annual Rookie Hazing led off a relaxed two-hour practice under cool evening skies. Led by head coach Josh McDaniels, the veterans used a garden hose to wet down the rookies as they slid past single file on what looked to be a “slip-n-slide.” The rooks were then required to trot right out on the practice field soaked through, Richard Quinn and Tom Brandstater taking the worst of it. Quinn looked like he was lugging an extra twenty pounds or more in water weight. Ryan Torain, Brian Dawkins and Brandon Marshall missed the session.

After McDaniels’ signature stretching period, the punt team lined up. Britton Colquitt shanked a punt toward the crowd, and after several bounces Montrose himself snagged the ball, and immediately gave BroncoBuff the honor of tossing it back in … Alphonso Smith cut downfield, and despite a tight spiral, the pass fell about two yards short. Your humble reporter insists Smith misread the coverage, but, ever defensive of Alphonso, (ever defensive, if you know what I mean. Not that there’s anything wrong with that), montrose insisted it was Buff who’d made the wrong read. We’ll check the film and get back to you.

David Bruton ran primarily with first team in Dawkins’ absence. After a massively impressive practice Tuesday, Jack Williams moved ahead of Alphonso Smith in the nickel package, though Smith joined him in the dime. Josh Barrett played big nickel with Bruton. The first team D-line in the nickel set was new tonight, from left to right: Robert Ayers, Kenny Peterson, Darrell Reid and Elvs Dumervil. Reid’s move inside marks what Buff insists to be the first time ever that a player has moved from OLB to DT in a single practice. Wesley Woodyard joined D.J. Williams at LB in the 4-2-5 nickel, in the spot Spencer Larsen had lined up in previously. Hard to really gauge what they’re planning with these different groupings, as they change from session to session.

Two Denver radio sportstalk shows Wednesday praised the play of Tim Crowder, making Sandy Cough’s speculation Crowder was in danger seem even less credible. Jarvis Moss rotated in behind Ayers, and sacked Chris Simms once, though his danger of losing his job remains highly credible. Carlton Powell continues to make his case for a starting spot. After a quarterback sack yesterday, tonight he sent Kory Lichtensteiger five yards into the backfield with a single blast.

Cornerback Andre Goodman made his first real impression of the last four days, deftly knocking down a Kyle Orton pass intended for Brandon Stokley, and later intercepting a Chris Simms pass on the far side, although the ball might have bounced first. Sometimes it’s hard to identify whether the ball is live or dead, as defensive coordinator Mike Nolan demands that any time the ball comes free, the entire defense must take off together upfield. This kind of turnover drill injects unexpected moments of excitement, as linebackers and safeties rush together the other way. At one point Kenny McKinley chased Renaldo Hill more than forty yards upfield, laughing the whole way at McKinley’s “poor tackling skills."

OFFENSE

In this subdued evening practice, not much of note on offense. Eddie Royal and Tony Scheffler effortlessly caught everything thrown their way. In the absence of Brandon Marshall, both Chad Jackson and Kenny McKinley ran with the first team. Brandon Lloyd and Nate Swift also joined with McKinley and Jackson on the second team offense. Nate Swift is making a very strong case for the practice squad … he runs crisp routes and catches everything within reach.

Kyle Orton completed a nice touchdown through a narrow window in the back of the end zone to Brandon Lloyd, who had shook Darcel McBath … and Tony Scheffler held on to another touchdown, despite a big hit from Jack Williams just as the ball arrived.

On an afternoon radio sportstalk show, CU Buffalo alums Tyler Polumbus and Matt McChesney joined CU and Bronco legend Alfred Williams. All three joked they couldn’t really motivate themselves to block much for Corell Buckhalter (a Nebraska alum of course). Both Polumbus and McChesney are running with a solid second-team offensive line, along with Seth Olsen, Kory Lichtensteiger and Clint Oldenberg. The smart money is on Oldenberg and Blake Schleuter to the practice squad, with McChesney making the team if they go with nine.

Broncos COO Joe Ellis was interviewed on 104.3 The Fan during morning drive time. In response to questions about Brandon Marshall’s status, three times Joe dropped in the caution that Brandon’s off-field situations must be addressed. Seemed to this reporter to be a subtle signal of where the team stands regarding their talented Pro Bowl man-child wideout. Ellis pointed out there were several players in their fourth years that were not demanding new deals just yet, and that no such reworkings had occurred with the franchise since Terrell Davis’ got a new deal in 1997.

The offensive linemen joined the fans for autographs tonight. BroncoBuff asked Ben Hamilton if he was the last of the “non-talkers.” Ben laughed and shook his head, admitting, “we’re a dying breed.” In fact, Hamilton is the last remaining member of the Bronco’s silent offensive lineman tradition that began in the glory years with Gary Zimmerman and Tom Nalen. Time marches on.

Rumors ran through Dove Valley – some from good sources – that Knowshon Moreno will sign Thursday, and after his physical and conditioning test, might be on the field with the team for the afternoon session.

MOST IMPRESSIVE TONIGHT: Too low-key of a practice to pick out a star of the day.

LEAST IMPRESSIVE TONIGHT: The second teams offense, who together ran a lap because of a false start. Chris Simms led the most of the way round the field, although Kory Lichtensteiger sprinted to the tape for the “victory.”
they should be cut.... :P

SoDak Bronco
08-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Tonights Camp MVP Bronco Buff- Tight Spiral 1 for 1

SoDak Bronco
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I just got off of the phone with him and he asked me why I was logging on to a transexual friendly website

good stuff...lol

TheReverend
08-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Ayers heel was up (pre-snap) before a blitz, but he always had his heel down when he would drop back. Coaches need to clean that up, as it will definitely give things away to the opponent.

Won't really matter when he's off the LOS

Broncoman13
08-05-2009, 08:51 PM

Now that's funny... who asked him the question again??? Just trying to figure out who reminds Kupe of a tranny. LMAO

Rock Chalk
08-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Why the hell would we sign former CU Bison players?

Thats retarded.

TheReverend
08-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Now that's funny... who asked him the question again??? Just trying to figure out who reminds Kupe of a tranny. LMAO

Clearly all 3.

BroncoDoug
08-05-2009, 09:00 PM
good report guys, are you going to tomorrows AM practice? the times were changed I believe to 11:15am

Florida_Bronco
08-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Sounds like Jarvis Moss has been playing pretty well since he came back.

tsiguy96
08-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Sounds like Jarvis Moss has been playing pretty well since he came back.

sorta seems that way, maybe he truely did need to decide where his future lies...

llayne
08-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Hey- I have a question to everyone going. When is a good time to arrive? Does it make sense to go to all of them? Also, would it be possible to join this orangemane team?

theAPAOps5
08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
sorta seems that way, maybe he truely did need to decide where his future lies...

Maybe it took a good coach in McDaniels to say you are excused while you get your head straight, once you have that figured out come talk to me.

Moss did and McDaniels gave him a vote of confidence. Having your boss feel confident in you goes a long way!

theAPAOps5
08-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Why the hell would we sign former CU Bison players?

Thats retarded.

Because its better than some queer Jayhawk. Rock Chock GAYHAWK

underrated29
08-05-2009, 09:19 PM
First off met up with pnbronco and also ran into socal, montrose, buff and some guys from the mane. Let me also say that i am not trying to steal the OM guys thunder by doing these reports. THey know this, but just want to make sure everyone else does too. We all agree that the more eyes, reports and coverage for our team the better. Hope to see everyone tomorrow morning too.

Once again i got their late as i had to work, but pn saved me a good seat so i was able to see things better. I tried to concentrate soley on the RB,DL,AYERS,Jarvis,and somewhat the Qbs and Somewhat the formations.

As always i am no expert so if you see something wrong with what i say tell me, so i can learn and adjust.

Jarvis Moss- His rep suites him. Big slim. He is big and slim. He has good speed and good moves, but his strength sucks. I feel bad for him because he cant gain weight. Every has said it but it is true he needs the weight to be able to get passed the OL. His problem is once they lock on to him he is toast. I saw him a couple times try the bullrush once they were locked on and he was unsuccessful. He needs to pump those legs up big time. Squats, lunges whatever. If he can get more power out of his legs he might just be able to make up for lack of stregth.

To me from seeing him move, he seems like a perfect fit at LB, yet i did not see him lined up there once. Before i would have said no chance at making the team. With nick out he might make it, but still doesnt look good.

RB- once again no torain. So i got to see bucky,jordan,hillis,darius.

Jordan-my man- he sucked once again.:tsk: I think maybe when we really hit and go full blast he will lower the shoulder more and use his power, but for now he got owned pretty much everytime. And they were running goaline from the 2. He still couldnt pound it in. Although, to his defense they had us running wide a lot. NOthing up the guy pound it styel. Also the defense pretty much knew which 3 plays we were going to run. Still. Unless he has a great preseason- he is in deep trouble me thinks. Sucks because i like him.

Darius- didnt see him but once or twice, made a catch in the flats- nothing to report.

Hillis- is lined up all over the place, for everything. WR,HB,FB,Punt- he is really going to be featured. One cool goaline play that i like is hillis is at FB runs and chips the defender before making a hard cut out wide. The Qb if timed right hits him with the ball and looks like an easy score, first down, whatever short yard situation we are in. A nice little misdirection if you will.

I didnt see him run much if at all, but all you FF players he would be a great Flex imo.

Bucky-he got the most runs. He did better than all the others, even though he is not my favorite. He caught well, showed great speed to the outside in goaline. Also had some nice jukes running up the middle. One particular play in goaline (weather this was i form, goaline not sure but the ball was on the 2) bucky had a run right behind the C i think, but had great vision to see the hole open up off tackle made a hard cut to it and exploded for the TD. Nice play. He will make the team easily and much to my dismay probably be the starter until knowhon takes it away.

Bucky also got into a little face slapping match with i think chris baker (who is huge by the way). So he has some fight. I still though am not sold on him in pass pro- he did fine, but i am a tough critic and fine doesnt work for me when its our Qbs last line of defense.

The Qbs- I think before i get into those that we (all fans) have inadvertantly been kinda hyped up because Kyle has separated himself as the clear #1. This is the case no doubt. However, we did downgrade at the position. No matter which side of the fence you are on about Jay. Its a reality that Kyle is not as talented as Jay. So there is a downgrade at the Qb. I only say it as after reading peoples replys and stuff i think a lot of us, or maybe just me, kinda took kyle as a small bump in the road but nothing else. He is good for us and will imo do well, really well. But he is not as accurate imo as well as some of his reads and throws. I know there are a lot of factors- new offense, hasnt gelled, line, plays etc etc. But just wanted to throw that out there.

Kyle O- Didnt focus too much on him, but overall he looked pretty good. Had some REAL nice touch throws that were perfect and also had some Needle strikes. I was very critical of one play however. He threw a 5-8 yard slant to bucky and bucky had to jump up for the ball. There was no one near him at the time. HAd this been live though bucky would have been destroyed. NOt sure how many people saw this, but i did and i did not like it. (remember i am a tough critic in my evaluations) so maybe i am blowing it out of proportion, but i was not happy. I know throws happen like that, but Kyle had no pass rush and Buck was open.

Simms- saw less of him, he had a false start, so the big uglies and he had to jog a lap- they did not run, they jogged. He had some good throws and i think it was he who threw a High Laser in the back of the endzone for a crossing leaping Brandon Floyd. Great pass as there was coverage and it had to be high enough to clear the DBs. It was, and it was a nice TD.

Tom Bra- He is a rook, watched him more after practice while they were giving out autographs. He had pretty good zip and has a nice tight spiral. Def a project, but might just might turn into something. I didnt watch enough of him to really say.

MY MAIN FOCUS - AYERS!

Ok- as has been reported when he knows his assignment he is good. Real good. A great pass rusher. Saw a lot of him working 1 on 1 with the DL. He used a different move each time and did well. Harris, polumbus and licht <- i think none really did very well against him. However, dropping in coverage he looked slow- real slow and tentative. Needs to practice this area big time. I also noticed one major thing which i discussed with the OM boys. To me its a negative and a tip off to the OL, but when Ayers was going to rush-(from the DE, or atleast on the line, where he was lined up most of the time) he kept his heel up. When he was going to drop back in coverage his heel was down. Maybe thats normal, but we think its a negative and a tip off. Rookie mistake he will need to correct.

When ayers was lined up at DE- he moved to the left and right end, and often went up against D. graham. Lots of times he seemed to just stand there when the ball was snapped. I have two theories on this, i will explain in a sec. Anyways- he would stand there and then start his rush. Bull rush, swim move, juke whatever a good second or two after the snap. First, theory is that he is diognosing the play as to where it is run, if its a run, or pass-whatever. I dont think so. Second theory which i do think so, and do hope is that he already knows he can get to the qb and since he cant do anything when he gets there he starts later. You could definitley tell he was not going 100% more like 60%- so thats why i think he was waiting and then going. i could be wrong, but those are the only two things i could think of.

Lined up at LB- he looked lost to me. He had happy feet and i dont think he could decide where or what he wanted to do. So he kinda danced around with his feet. Now maybe Nolan had him in some zone and he was tracking the qbs eyes, i dont know. But he seemed kinda out of it to me. He still did the heel thing though, both at Lb and De.

Inthe 11 vs 11 he was in on some good tackles and got to the Qb sometimes too. I really like what he brings so far and am thrilled with him only being here for a couple days. he should be legit! He is not legit yet, like phonz. Phonz carries that swagger and that confidence that you can just see. I know he is legit. Ayers isnt there yet, but i am betting he will be. Great Pick!

The DL as a whole was fairly impressive to me. They did real well in the 1 vs 1. But that is kinda expected as our O line is so so going solo, but as a whole they are a wall. Still the 1 on 1 the d guys looked good. Some of them are sooo huge- i was really surpised at the size we have there. For the most part they got the better on the 1 on 1. I hope the OM guys agree with me but this is what i saw. Polumbus looked good and Kory Licht was owned once or twice but he was overall not to shabby either. I am comfortable with him as a backup C. Plumbus is a monster- more than comfortable with him as a backup T.

Formations- we ran a lot of 3,4,5 wide with the QB in shot, or 3-4 wide with the qb under C and the RB behind or off to the side. I dont know what you call those formations. Sorry. But i did focus on the routes our WR ran. I like the routes. Lots of crossing, go, and short slants. It seems like our Qb should have a player on all levels of the field. Long, mid and short range, and also right, left and middle. Thats 9 different levels to where we seemed to have a guy. So to me our Qb if he sees 2-3 defenders in one of the 9. Then he should automatically know that he has 7 other areas left with possible only 5 defensman. Someone is bound to be open. I might be oversimplifiying this. and probably am, but its a thought.

In our goaline, we seemed to run, right, left and the little play where hillis at FB chips the defender then swings out for the pass. I would like to see us use some striat up beat you up runs. I am sure we have them, but didnt run them

We have one route where Quinn- the TE ran tonight, was in a 4-5 wide. He ran up the seam and has a double move. he moves out and then back in at about 7 yards, continuing up the seam, then he makes another move in/out. I saw him go back in and pointed out that he should have gone outside. Sure enough Josh Mcd came and pointed the same thing out. This will be a great play for us, esp if royal or stokes or one of those masters run it.

Thinks i liked or caught my eye.

THey had the players slip and slide, they wet down the turf and had the players (maybe only rooks) slide and get all wet. I was told it was to simulate playing in the rain or when conditions are wet.

kenny peterson. was a man animal tonight. I saw him all over the place, and he looked good in 1 on 1 too.

scheff, royal, stokely, and even chad Jax- all looked good tonight. Making some nice grabs and nice routes.

David Burton- hung out after practice taking rep after rep on the jugs machine. Nice work david. I like his ethic.

some batted balls, ints and the DL mainly shut down the run tonight. I still feel that we will be solid against the RUn. If our Dl doesnt get the job done, which is iffy our LB will clean house.

Things i didnt like-

Chad Jax had a catch and let, what looked like phonz strip it away for a pick.

Ayers either batted a ball down or stripped it, but he did not chase after it. he just stood there and go chewed out by nolan and some other coach.

Cj Jones had a drop on an easy catch

My man Josh barrett to me struggled as a gunner on punts. He looked slower or something not sure what but i didnt look right to me. He also came in to wide and didnt really force phonz back in the middle. he got chewed out for that too.

Ok thats all there might be more but its 10 now and i am sure no one will read this this late. And by tomorrow it willbe old. Have a good night.

underrated29
08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
good report guys, are you going to tomorrows AM practice? the times were changed I believe to 11:15am

Is that the morning one? I hope not. I am planning on going if its around 8:30 or so. If not i wont be there.

Florida_Bronco
08-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Maybe it took a good coach in McDaniels to say you are excused while you get your head straight, once you have that figured out come talk to me.

Moss did and McDaniels gave him a vote of confidence. Having your boss feel confident in you goes a long way!

Yeah, if he was truely contemplating retirement, that move by McDaniels might have helped alot.

BroncoDoug
08-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Is that the morning one? I hope not. I am planning on going if its around 8:30 or so. If not i wont be there.

Yeah, it WAS at 8:30, they changed it to 11:15, they announced it on the radio, and put it on their website....

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=1240

underrated29
08-05-2009, 09:39 PM
yeah, it was at 8:30, they changed it to 11:15, they announced it on the radio, and put it on their website....

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=1240

sob.

s0phr0syne
08-05-2009, 09:44 PM
thanks for the addition underrated, you included some nice details

tnedator
08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I’ve noticed that as we move into the red zone we’re abandoning the ZBS for more power run plays like counters, traps, isos, dives and off tackle runs.

This was just a question that came up from someone reading Underrate29's report. In general, how much are they running ZBS plays vs. power/traditional blocking?

I came over here to ask how much ZBS they were running, because I didn't remember it being mentioned in reports, and they I see you brought it up.

So, what's your feeling, how much ZBS has been kept?

underrated29
08-05-2009, 09:56 PM
thanks for the addition underrated, you included some nice details

Thanks. I still feel the regulars do it best and awlays will (kahn,socal mont etc). But since they always do them and i am now showimg up to some camps, i dont think it would be fair if i didnt report what i saw and felt too. Since practice time has changed i wont be ther tomorrow. But i have all day off on friday so i will look out for you guys then.

later.

JCMElway
08-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I would agree, if we keep 6 receivers Stokes will stick. He's a solid and sound receiver. I would even take him over Lloyd, I just have a bad feeling about his future with McD. IMO, he is the same guy as Gaffney and there's no way McD cuts Gaff.

Seeing as how the McD offense often runs 5 WR sets, I'd say that keeping 6 WR is not out of the question. Although, we could run that set with 4 WR and Scheffler......

Boobs McGee
08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Tonights Camp MVP Bronco Buff- Tight Spiral 1 for 1

LOL better than me....I shnagged an errant punt before practice really kicked off, and launched a 15 foot duck that the poor kid barely caught lol ;D

Great reports guys. This was my first camp today, and I loved it. Wish there would have been more contact, but oh well.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY (for me)

I was sitting back behind some douche wearing a Raiders GANNON JERSEY!
Kenny peterson comes over, tells the guy to stand up, and he walks him out in front of all the fans.

Everyone started booing. hahahahaha it was awesome.

montrose
08-05-2009, 10:44 PM
This was just a question that came up from someone reading Underrate29's report. In general, how much are they running ZBS plays vs. power/traditional blocking?

I came over here to ask how much ZBS they were running, because I didn't remember it being mentioned in reports, and they I see you brought it up.

So, what's your feeling, how much ZBS has been kept?

It's still the primary running scheme between the 20's but in the red zone it's abandoned for the power game - somewhat the best of both worlds!

BroncoBuff
08-05-2009, 10:45 PM
I was sitting back behind some douche wearing a Raiders GANNON JERSEY!
Kenny peterson comes over, tells the guy to stand up, and he walks him out in front of all the fans.

Everyone started booing. hahahahaha it was awesome.

We saw that! We saw the security guy leading the Gannon guy out (he was with a guy in an Elway jersey), but we hadn't seen Peterson.

Give some more details ... why/how did Peterson get involved? Wtf did the guy do to get booted?

JCMElway
08-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Um, he was wearing a god**** Faid jersey. Isn't that more than enough?

Bob's your Information Minister
08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
You guys are deep at WR. Jesus.

BroncoBuff
08-05-2009, 11:40 PM

I hope you're not joking, because yes, we are.

Bob's your Information Minister
08-05-2009, 11:55 PM
The thought of our fourth corner (a rookie) covering Brandon Stokely isn't attractive.

Popps
08-06-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm convinced that this team could be effective through the air without Brandon Marshall if we had to be. I'd prefer it didn't come to that, but if it does... we'll still have a nice group of WRs playing in a system that showed success in NE, even without absolute stars. Remember, the Pats were putting up nice numbers before Moss/Welker showed up.

worm
08-06-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm convinced that this team could be effective through the air without Brandon Marshall if we had to be. I'd prefer it didn't come to that, but if it does... we'll still have a nice group of WRs playing in a system that showed success in NE, even without absolute stars. Remember, the Pats were putting up nice numbers before Moss/Welker showed up.

The WRs with or without Marshall isn't the risky 1\2 of the equation.

FireFly
08-06-2009, 01:36 AM
I probably just seeing shadows, but I do wonder if Marshall is being held out of practice for some other reason? e.g. an imminent trade?

I'm sure I'm wrong, but still....

Taco John
08-06-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm not convinced with the new strength training equipment...

http://megain.smugmug.com/photos/607796706_WxYRp-O.jpg

Hulamau
08-06-2009, 03:41 AM

No way they only keep 4 or 5 WR Oskie ...

Shanny kept 6 every year ... and 7 one year that I recall.

And in a system like Josh's, WR are a premium slot as well, and I would be very surprised if he doesn't keep at least 6 on the active roster.

Last year Josh kept 7 WRs on the Patriots

Moss, Welker, Gaffney, CJ Jones, Kelley Washington, Sam Aiken and Matthew Slater ...

Definitely not as good a WR corp as we have now with:

Royal, Marshall, Gaffney, Stokely, Lloyd, McKinley .. and maybe Chad Jackson as a seventh ( but I doubt he goes 7), and parks Swift to the PS.

However, I think McD might be more inclined to keep 5 total RB even if only 4 are listed as RBs this year: Knowshon ( whenever he shows up!) Buckhalter, Torain and Jordan ... plus Hillis, of course, listed nominally as a FB/RB hybrid.

That makes 5 RB in total and last year NE only carried 4 RB total on their active roster and didn't list a FB listed.

But with this much RB quality on our team, and McD saying repeatedly how he learned in NE last year, and from our experience too, that you can never have enough healthy RBs, I feel sure we'll have 5 RBs on the active roster this year ... and 6 WRs, plus 3 TEs plus Branson on the PS.

Putz is heading for the waiver wire.

Hulamau
08-06-2009, 03:44 AM

... and at Running Back :-) ... enjoy fighting it out with Chokeland for 4 place in the WAC.

Hulamau
08-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Well...he had a pick today, although he has been pretty quiet otherwise. I suspect the numbers dictate that he's probably not going to make it, though. The top 4 are pretty much set it in stone. They might keep an extra one. I suspect that Bell and possibly Carter might be ahead of Johnson. Today helped him, tho.

You're probably right SoCal, NE kept 5 CBs last year and 4 safeties, A guy like Carter is probably heading to the PS since he is clearly eligible. Like is Swift among the WR and perhaps Marquez Branson at TE on the PS.

And McD did keep 7 WR last year, not 6 as I had thought, on the week one active roster ... adding Sam Aiken to the 6 active WR list I had posted earlier.

But McD also kept only 4 total RB at NE last year, and I feel certain he keeps 5, including Hillis as a FB/RB on board this year and likely sticks with 6 active WR and parks Swift on the PS.

Sooo ... the last WR spot is likely coming down to Lloyd or Jackson and I suspect Lloyd wins that one.

I just hope there are no more severe injuries in camp like Griesen so McD and Nolan can make their choices from best players list.

Broncoman13
08-06-2009, 05:12 AM

I think so too Popps, I just think we would be so much more dynamic with BMarsh in there. His downfield blocking is key as well. As much effort as both Gaffney and Royal would put in, they aren't as physically imposing as BMarsh.

Broncoman13
08-06-2009, 05:14 AM
You're probably right SoCal, NE kept 5 CBs last year and 4 safeties, A guy like Carter is probably heading to the PS since he is clearly eligible. Like is Swift among the WR and perhaps Marquez Branson at TE on the PS.

And McD did keep 7 WR last year, not 6 as I had thought, on the week one active roster ... adding Sam Aiken to the 6 active WR list I had posted earlier.

But McD also kept only 4 total RB at NE last year, and I feel certain he keeps 5, including Hillis as a FB/RB on board this year and likely sticks with 6 active WR and parks Swift on the PS.

Sooo ... the last WR spot is likely coming down to Lloyd or Jackson and I suspect Lloyd wins that one.

I just hope there are no more severe injuries in camp like Griesen so McD and Nolan can make their choices from best players list.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that as I was not aware of that. I think that Chad Jackson can return kicks so that may be an advantage over Lloyd... but Lloyd has made more plays too. Still, with Royal, McKinley, and Smith all capable return men, maybe it doesn't matter that Jackson can return kicks as well?

Broncoman13
08-06-2009, 05:15 AM
Agreed and good points.

Shanny kept 6 every year ... and 7 one year that I recall.

And in a system like Josh's, WR are a premium slot as well, and I would be very surprised if he doesn't keep at least 6 on the active roster.

Last year Josh kept 7 WRs on the Patriots

Moss, Welker, Gaffney, CJ Jones, Kelley Washington, Sam Aiken and Matthew Slater ...

Definitely not as good a WR corp as we have now with:

Royal, Marshall, Gaffney, Stokely, Lloyd, McKinley .. and maybe Chad Jackson as a seventh ( but I doubt he goes 7), and parks Swift to the PS.

However, I think McD might be more inclined to keep 5 total RB even if only 4 are listed as RBs this year: Knowshon ( whenever he shows up!) Buckhalter, Torain and Jordan ... plus Hillis, of course, listed nominally as a FB/RB hybrid.

That makes 5 RB in total and last year NE only carried 4 RB total on their active roster and didn't list a FB listed.

But with this much RB quality on our team, and McD saying repeatedly how he learned in NE last year, and from our experience too, that you can never have enough healthy RBs, I feel sure we'll have 5 RBs on the active roster this year ... and 6 WRs, plus 3 TEs plus Branson on the PS.

Putz is heading for the waiver wire.

thumpc
08-06-2009, 05:51 AM
:bronxrox:It's still the primary running scheme between the 20's but in the red zone it's abandoned for the power game - somewhat the best of both worlds!

montrose
08-06-2009, 06:12 AM
My Updated 53-man Roster Prediction

(2) QB: Orton, Simms
(5) RB: Buckhalter, Hillis, Moreno, Jordan, Torain
(6) WR: Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Stokley, Lloyd, McKinley
(3) TE: Graham, Scheffler, Quinn
(9) OL: Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Lichtensteiger, Olsen, McChesney
(7) DL: Peterson, Fields, McBean, Thomas, Powell, Parker, Baker
(8) LB: Crowder, Williams, Davis, Reid, Dumervil, Woodyard, Larsen, Ayers
(5) CB: Bailey, Goodman, Smith, Williams, Bell
(5) S: Dawkins, Hill, Bruton, McBath, Barrett
(3) ST: Prater, Kern, Paxton

Practice Squad: Brandstater, Swift, Branson, Schuleter, Pedescleaux, Davis, Robinson

dbfan21
08-06-2009, 06:24 AM

(9) OL: Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Lichtensteiger, Olsen, McChesney

Practice Squad: Brandstater, Swift, Branson, Schuleter, Pedescleaux, Davis, Robinson

Montrose...I noticed you had Davis on both the roster (@ LB) and on the PS. Are there 2 Davis's in TC? BTW, great final roster. I agree with 99.9% of your prediction.

Boobs McGee
08-06-2009, 06:32 AM
We saw that! We saw the security guy leading the Gannon guy out (he was with a guy in an Elway jersey), but we hadn't seen Peterson.

Give some more details ... why/how did Peterson get involved? Wtf did the guy do to get booted?

LOL I didn't know he actually got BOOTED! When I was watching, kenny peterson was just havin some fun, before the practice really started. That guy didn't appear to be doing anything wrong (except wearing a ****ing raiders jersey, idiot Ha!), kp just wanted to give the crowd a laugh. After that I headed back to my car for some chew, then when I came back I'd moved down towards the 10 yl on the south end, so I dunno what happened?

s0phr0syne
08-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Montrose...I noticed you had Davis on both the roster (@ LB) and on the PS. Are there 2 Davis's in TC? BTW, great final roster. I agree with 99.9% of your prediction.

Yep, Rulon Davis (DL) and Andre Davis (LB).

(6) WR: Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Stokley, Lloyd, Jackson, McKinley
(8) LB: Crowder, Williams, Davis, Reid, Dumervil, Woodyard, Larsen, Ayers, Robinson

My 53 looks pretty similar, but of course it's pretty much based off the notes that you guys have been writing up, so I'm pretty sure I trust your firsthand observations over mine.

I kept Jackson in my final 53 because I honestly think he's a hotter commodity in the league than Lloyd. Neither KC nor NE have great depth at WR, and I can see Pioli or Belichick snagging Jackson up should the need arise. He's also rather disposable to us so I wouldn't mind running him out on KR. Just saying. I think Lloyd carries less value outside of our team, so that'd be my reasoning for cutting him over Jackson for the 6th WR spot.

With McChesney, I don't know much about him and you guys mentioned his added value as emergency DT. However, in my 53 I kept Lee Robinson as a backup inside thumper + ST value guy. Also, Paxton gives us added flexibility as an interior OL reserve, although I haven't seen any mention of him playing that in training camp. Has he?

montrose
08-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Also, Paxton gives us added flexibility as an interior OL reserve, although I haven't seen any mention of him playing that in training camp. Has he?

No, in fact he was snapping to the QB's during pass-on-air drills while the OL was on the other field practicing. There goes my "we signed him because he's an emergency guard" theory.

JJG
08-06-2009, 08:05 AM

nah, Jesus wont make it past the first cut.

dbfan21
08-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Duuuh! I'll blame it on the fact I am low on coffee this morning. Thanks s0phr0syne.

missingnumber7
08-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Probably already been asked, but with the OL, how are we with guys that are familiar with multiple positions. Injury bugs have been an issue here before.

gyldenlove
08-06-2009, 08:50 AM

(3) QB: Orton, Simms, Brandstater
(9) OL: Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Lichtensteiger, Olsen, Gorin
(6) DL: Peterson, Fields, Thomas, Powell, Parker, Baker
(9) LB: Crowder, Williams, Davis, Reid, Dumervil, Woodyard, Larsen, Ayers, Robinson
(4) CB: Bailey, Goodman, Smith, Williams

Practice Squad: Swift, Branson, Schuleter, Pedescleaux, Davis

My 53:

Out: Mcbean, Josh Bell and Mcchesney
In: Brandstater, Gorin and Robinson

I think NE runs 3 QBs on the roster, I think we will too and Brandstater seems pretty sure since we didn't put in a claim for Gutierez. I think we need more help outside than inside, with Lichtensteiger and Olsen we have good interior depth. I like Robinson as a jack of all trades, he can do some ST, play the outside in a 4-3 and 3-4 front. Mcbean was lost because I am not sure he can hold off Thomas and Powell and he doesn't figure in our nickel packages, Bell was lost in numbers crunch.

s0phr0syne
08-06-2009, 08:54 AM
My 53:

Out: Mcbean, Josh Bell and Mcchesney
In: Brandstater, Gorin and Robinson

I think NE runs 3 QBs on the roster, I think we will too and Brandstater seems pretty sure since we didn't put in a claim for Gutierez. I think we need more help outside than inside, with Lichtensteiger and Olsen we have good interior depth. I like Robinson as a jack of all trades, he can do some ST, play the outside in a 4-3 and 3-4 front. Mcbean was lost because I am not sure he can hold off Thomas and Powell and he doesn't figure in our nickel packages, Bell was lost in numbers crunch.

I just hope we can stash Brandstater on our PS. Camp reports don't make him sound very useful to us this season, but I dunno. It's kind of discouraging that we haven't brought on a 4th veteran QB to learn the system so that we could cut them, but also potentially bring them up during the season if necessary.

Also, I'm curious as to whether McXanders put a claim in for Gutierrez or not. It's hard to know since KC's claim would have trumped our own. Media haven't reported it, but from what they say about the local Denver media, that doesn't mean much...

The more I think about it, it seems like Haggan has earned a roster spot over Robinson. Robinson has a ton of potential to be a regular LB for us, which is why I would like him to stay on the active roster and learn, but maybe he's a better stash on the PS and keeping Haggan would give us better gameday potential? Not sure on that.

Rock Chalk
08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Because its better than some queer Jayhawk. Rock Chock GAYHAWK

touch&eacute;

gyldenlove
08-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I just hope we can stash Brandstater on our PS. Camp reports don't make him sound very useful to us this season, but I dunno. It's kind of discouraging that we haven't brought on a 4th veteran QB to learn the system so that we could cut them, but also potentially bring them up during the season if necessary.

Also, I'm curious as to whether McXanders put a claim in for Gutierrez or not. It's hard to know since KC's claim would have trumped our own. Media haven't reported it, but from what they say about the local Denver media, that doesn't mean much...

The more I think about it, it seems like Haggan has earned a roster spot over Robinson. Robinson has a ton of potential to be a regular LB for us, which is why I would like him to stay on the active roster and learn, but maybe he's a better stash on the PS and keeping Haggan would give us better gameday potential? Not sure on that.

I know that they used to keep 3 QBs on the roster in New England, so I imagine we will do the same

I saw rumors on PFT that the Jets and Chiefs were the only teams who put a claim in on Gutierez, it said specifically that we didn't and that it was somewhat surprising.

BroncoBuff
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM

I'm thinking 5-6, depending on special teams.

Kenny McKinley is a stone lock ... write it down.

The foursome Marshall, Royal, Stokley and Gaffney are locks too. And that's five.The 6th s pot if there is one will be between Lloyd and Chad Jackson. Both have expereience in Josh's offense.

Nate Swift definitely PS, he looks pretty good.

TheReverend
08-06-2009, 01:06 PM

This is a very solid list. I think I'd only drop 1 DL (probably parker) and add another LB (probably Moss), only for their sheer ST value.