PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Day 6 AM Camp Report

Irish Stout
08-05-2009, 01:24 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/day-6-am-blog/

Day 6: A.M. Blog
August 5th, 2009 - 12:02pm by Chris Gentilviso

While this morning’s practice was closed to the public, the Broncos still kept the pedal down, turning in another two-hour session loaded with a multitude of drills, situational downs and packages. Here are some quick hits from the field.

ROLL CALL: Brian Dawkins, D.J. Williams, Brandon Stokley, Brandon Marshall, Daniel Graham, Correll Buckhalter and Casey Wiegmann were among the veterans who did not participate in the morning session. Head Coach Josh McDaniels said that all the players that were out were coaches decisions, and some will be back on the field for the afternoon session.

On Dawkins, McDaniels said, “Once he’s ready to roll here, I wouldn’t expect it to last too, too long. Certainly not anything devastating, but I’m not going to go into details about what it is and all the rest of that. He’ll be out for a few days.”

POSITIONING: With several first-team position players not on the field, the Broncos were able to utilize some different matchups.

With Williams sitting out the session, Wesley Woodyard saw significant reps with the first unit, along with Darrell Reid, Andra Davis, and Elvis Dumervil. Robert Ayers also played a handful of snaps with the No. 1’s at the outside spot.

Rookie Seth Olsen got another crack at playing with the first team offensive line of Ryan Clady, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris, and Ben Hamilton, who shifted over to center.

With Stokley out, Chad Jackson saw time as a slot receiver, alongside Eddie Royal and Jabar Gaffney in three-wide sets.

DRILLS: Quarterbacks and running backs worked on I-formation handoffs up the gut. Ryan Torain, LaMont Jordan and Darius Walker split the carries, while Spencer Larsen and Peyton Hillis rotated at the fullback spot, lining up their blocks.

Running backs coach Bobby Turner also had his backs get some practice at wide receiver. Lining up at the outside spot, each back ran precise five-yard routes.

The linebackers and secondary honed their footwork, backpedaling anywhere from five to 15 yards before adjusting their positions to snag the ball.
Special teams coordinator Mike Priefer had his unit working on kickoffs in deep, squib and on-side situations. The gunners worked on stripping the ball. As they made their way upfield, Priefer yelled “Get the ball out! Get the ball out! Get the ball out!” C.J. Jones, D.J. Johnson, Nate Swift and Jackson all saw action as returners.

PLAYMAKERS: Chris Simms and Kenny McKinley hooked up for the first touchdown of the day in 11-on-11’s. Simms took a five-step drop, bought some time, and found the rookie streaking down the left sideline.

Royal and Gaffney were both active in 11-on-11s, sporting their versatility out wide and in the slot. Orton threaded the needle to Royal on one touchdown, eking the ball by the coverage of Alphonso Smith. Gaffney also weaved his way past defenders for several catches over the middle of the field.

The defense had its fair share of plays as well. A Ronald Fields rush on Orton forced the quarterback into an errant throw across the field to Torain. Andre’ Goodman also made his presence felt recording two pass breakups.
Jackson made the play of the morning in red zone offense. After the ball ricocheted off Royal and two defenders, Jackson snagged it just before it hit the ground. He burst up off his feet, appealing to the side judge to call it a touchdown. When the referee ruled it as a score, Jackson jumped up and celebrated with the official, shouting “Yeah! You the one.”

QUICK HITS: The referees were back for a second day, and again brought a realistic feel to the team’s practice. When Orton found Tony Scheffler in the back corner of the end zone, the line judge waived off the catch, ruling the tight end out of bounds.

A trend throughout the first week of camp has been “incomplete pass equals fumble.” While the officials were present to whistle those plays dead, the players were still alert enough to find the ball and pounce on it.

DAILY JUKEBOX: The music during Wednesday’s morning practice only lasted through warm-ups, but still gave the players a boost when working through their stretches. Here’s the playlist, which was compiled by Mark Thewes, Assistant to Head Coach Josh McDaniels.

Kenny Chesney - “Summertime”
Beastie Boys - “Intergalactic”
U2 - “Beautiful Day”
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - “Summertime”
Michael Jackson - “Rock with You” (This selection elicited the approval of McDaniels and several players)
Bruce Springsteen - “The Rising”

QUOTABLE: “I set it down. Somebody is picking it up for me. I don’t know who it (is), but somebody is picking it up for me.”
- Wesley Woodyard on which rookie has the duty of carrying in his helmet and shoulder pads.

Morning pictures are below. The team will be back on the field at 5:30 p.m. MDT for this evening’s session. That one is open to the public. Also, don’t forget about tomorrow’s open practice at INVESCO Field at Mile High. Gates open at 5:30 p.m. MDT with practice starting around 6. The practice is free and open to the public. Click here for more on tomorrow night.

- Chris Gentilviso, DenverBroncos.com

Irish Stout
08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
check the link for pics

s0phr0syne
08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Do you think it's fair to assume migraines for Dawkins considering his history?

Dos Rios
08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/day-6-am-blog/

Day 6: A.M. Blog
August 5th, 2009 - 12:02pm by Chris Gentilviso

Rookie Seth Olsen got another crack at playing with the first team offensive line of Ryan Clady, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris, and Ben Hamilton, who shifted over to center.

- Chris Gentilviso, DenverBroncos.com

Apologies if this has already been covered in the camp reports, but anyone know why Olsen steps in and Hamilton slides over rather than just plugging in Lichtensteiger for Weigmann?

Tombstone RJ
08-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Apologies if this has already been covered in the camp reports, but anyone know why Olsen steps in and Hamilton slides over rather than just plugging in Lichtensteiger for Weigmann?

I dunno but perhaps it has something to do with Wiegman's age. That is, the Broncos want to see depth at the center position because the chances of Wiegman not playing the entire season are good due to his age. The more guys who can play center, the better it is for the team.

The MVPlaya
08-05-2009, 02:02 PM

Hamilton used to play center so he has more experience.

Dos Rios
08-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I dunno but perhaps it has something to do with Wiegman's age. That is, the Broncos want to see depth at the center position because the chances of Wiegman not playing the entire season are good due to his age. The more guys who can play center, the better it is for the team.

I was assuming the team prefers getting Olsen's size in the lineup over a smallish Hamilton/Lichtensteiger pairing, but still surprised to see a rookie step in over the 2nd year guy. Since both Weigmann and Hamilton are older guys, I'm just hoping either Lichtensteiger or Schlueter shows some longterm promise at center.