PDA

View Full Version : SI.com : 25 Things We Miss In Football

Bronco Rob
08-05-2009, 11:08 AM
9. Old Mile High Stadium:

How can you not love a stadium where home fans sustained the world's loudest roar for 10 seconds (a reading of 128.74 decibels in 2000, beating the previous world record by 3.34 decibels)? The fact is Invesco Field, which opened in 2001, simply doesn't generate the noise old Mile High did. Rocky Mountain News columnist Dave Krieger described the old stadium as an erector set. "The upper decks bounced when the people bounced," Krieger wrote. "This scared the bejesus out of novice national TV announcers, who thought the whole thing was about to come apart. They had a tendency to sit down suddenly, as if this would steady things." Denver fans haven't tasted a title in the new stadium: The Broncos last won a Super Bowl in 1998. R.D.

for the rest........http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/remember-when/football/25things.html?eref=T1

:~ohyah!:

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 11:11 AM
How can you not love a stadium where home fans sustained the world's loudest roar for 10 seconds (a reading of 128.74 decibels in 2000, beating the previous world record by 3.34 decibels)?

First game I ever went to in Denver. That was the clearly the high point of that game, sadly.

Garcia Bronco
08-05-2009, 11:19 AM
How can you not love a stadium where home fans sustained the world's loudest roar for 10 seconds (a reading of 128.74 decibels in 2000, beating the previous world record by 3.34 decibels)?

First game I ever went to in Denver. That was the clearly the high point of that game, sadly.

It's cause you are a jinx, and everybody knows it. :)

Peoples Champ
08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
i didnt know they had the world record for sound noise

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
It's cause you are a jinx, and everybody knows it. :)

Bastard.

I'm actually 2-1 at both Denver and Foxboro so far.

Garcia Bronco
08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Bastard.

I am 15-15 at Mile High and 2-3 on the road

Doggcow
08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm 0-3 in the last few years :(

Seattle at Denver, then Denver at SD, then Buffalo at Denver :(

Kaylore
08-05-2009, 11:51 AM
9. Old Mile High Stadium:

How can you not love a stadium where home fans sustained the world's loudest roar for 10 seconds (a reading of 128.74 decibels in 2000, beating the previous world record by 3.34 decibels)? The fact is Invesco Field, which opened in 2001, simply doesn't generate the noise old Mile High did. Rocky Mountain News columnist Dave Krieger described the old stadium as an erector set. "The upper decks bounced when the people bounced," Krieger wrote. "This scared the bejesus out of novice national TV announcers, who thought the whole thing was about to come apart. They had a tendency to sit down suddenly, as if this would steady things." Denver fans haven't tasted a title in the new stadium: The Broncos last won a Super Bowl in 1998. R.D.

What? You mean calling Invesco Mile High hasn't made it louder? But if we all play make believe really hard it will magically become Mile High stadium, I thought?

521 1N5
08-05-2009, 12:21 PM
It just sucks so bad that there is nothing anybody can do about it. Mile High Magic is gone, and it looks like it will never return. Stupid ass corporate sponsorship. Not to mention that stadium is unbelievably boooooooring!!!!

dbfan21
08-05-2009, 12:46 PM

I'm batting .500 at Broncos games...
1-2 in Denver (NE, Oakland and GB respectively)
2-1 in away games (Atlanta, Jax and Miami respectively)

Br0nc0Buster
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM

same here
Denver at St. Louis 3 years ago
San Diego at Denver 2 years ago(that one was over by the 1st quarter)
Buffalo at Denver last year(I just knew we would find a way to **** that one up)

Going to the New England game this year, hopefully I can enjoy a win at Invesco for once

gunns
08-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Bastard.

I'm 4-0 but haven't made it to the new "Mile High"

89- Colts at Denver
93-KC at Denver
95-last game of the season, Christmas Eve-Raiders at Denver, great Christmas gift!
98-GB and Denver at Qualcomm Stadium, January 25, 1998, a date that will live in infamy.

Rock Chalk
08-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Im 5-3 in regular season games.

2-1 in Oakland.
1-0 In New Orleans
2-0 at Invesco
0-1 At Mile High
0-1 at Reliant

Meck77
08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I was at that game when we "set the record". They measured us at halftime while a good portion of the fans were taking a leak. We could have really smashed it had everyone been in their seats.

Hercules Rockefeller
08-05-2009, 02:14 PM

I was there for that and that's absolute BS that they claim it was the loudest ever. I've been to other stadiums that had louder sustained "roars", been to prior games at Mile High that were louder, and there have been times that evil Invesco was louder.

Off the top of my head, when Griese hit McCaffrey against the Dolphins in Game 1 of '99, when Denver stopped KC to go 13-0 in '98, and Kennedy's pick in the endzone of Gannon to beat the Raiders in the last game of the season, were all times that it was significantly louder than the supposed world record 'roar".

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 02:58 PM
I was at that game when we "set the record". They measured us at halftime while a good portion of the fans were taking a leak. We could have really smashed it had everyone been in their seats.

I was there for that and that's absolute BS that they claim it was the loudest ever. I've been to other stadiums that had louder sustained "roars", been to prior games at Mile High that were louder, and there have been times that evil Invesco was louder.

Off the top of my head, when Griese hit McCaffrey against the Dolphins in Game 1 of '99, when Denver stopped KC to go 13-0 in '98, and Kennedy's pick in the endzone of Gannon to beat the Raiders in the last game of the season, were all times that it was significantly louder than the supposed world record 'roar".

In their defense, they did go out of their way to say that it wasn't broken during halftime when a lot of people were missing, but was broken in the 2nd half during Deltha O'Neals punt return for a TD.

And Herc, they never said that it was the loudest that stadium or any other stadium has ever been. They just said that it was the loudest ever recorded by the Guiness Book crew. It's not like that crew goes to every game at every stadium and measures the decibel level. If they did, then I'm sure that some other game would have it. But that's not the way it works.

JJJ
08-05-2009, 03:24 PM
I miss Howard Cosell halftime highlights and Dandy Don signing Turn out the Lights. That was and will be for all time the pinnacle era of this sport.

55CrushEm
08-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Bastard.

And that "1" at Gillette sure sucked ass, didn't it ?

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 03:29 PM
And that "1" at Gillette sure sucked ass, didn't it ?

I can still taste it.

Chris
08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm 0-2 (1-2 if you count preaseason). I miss Mile High... only went there once for a preseason game in 96 but my grandpa had season tickets from day 1 till about 1990.

Hogan11
08-05-2009, 03:44 PM
5-0 in Denver:
04-SD
05 & 06 KC
07 Oak
08 NOLA

3-4 on the road
'75 Buffalo - L
04 NOLA - W
05 SD - W
06 Cleveland - W
06 SD - L
07 Houston - L
08 SD - L

Mogulseeker
08-05-2009, 10:35 PM
3. Al davis when he was a football genius

Hercules Rockefeller
08-05-2009, 10:58 PM
And Herc, they never said that it was the loudest that stadium or any other stadium has ever been. They just said that it was the loudest ever recorded by the Guiness Book crew. It's not like that crew goes to every game at every stadium and measures the decibel level. If they did, then I'm sure that some other game would have it. But that's not the way it works.

I realize that, and that's the cop out that's used so writers like his one can claim that Mile High had the loudest sustained roar ever. It was simply not that loud, and anyone who was present for that and has been to other games knows that. The people in our section laughed when they announced later on that we'd "broken" the world record because everyone knew it was bs.

Wes Mantooth
08-06-2009, 12:17 AM
5-0 at Denver (Mile High). 3-1 at Seattle. 1-0 at San Fran. Somebody buy me some tickets. I am a freakin' good luck charm at home.

watermock
08-06-2009, 02:11 AM
One time I went down to check the integrity of the ole girl under her girdle on a monday night.

Chips weren't falling but they were missing.

I think I'm 4-1 on monday.

We gave away a game to the raiders, we were up like 20-0 and Reeves went into a shell. Lost like 28-27

It sucked 'cause Raider fans still existed.

worm
08-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Nothing better than Rocky Mountain Thunder at the old Mile High.

Killericon
08-06-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm 1-0 at McAfee.

CoBear23
08-06-2009, 09:51 AM
The loudest I've heard Invesco was the Chargers game last season, after Eddie's two point conversion

TexanBob
08-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Back in the early '70s when my family had season tickets at the old Mile High, there was a fellow a section over from ours near the corner of the north end zone who would stand up and yell in a loud voice: "Bring on Lee Roy!" "Send in Lee Roy!" "We want Lee Roy!". You'd look through the program and there was no Lee Roy on either roster. I always wondered who the heck he was talking about. I did notice one time the Browns were the opponent with the great running back LeRoy Kelly. The guy was quiet for the whole game.