PDA

View Full Version : NYG reach extension agreement with Eli. 6 yr 97.5 Million!

521 1N5
08-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Wow.

Funny Money.

Think Denver woulda had to dish out that kinda cash for JCut?? The price is going WAY up for franchise QB's

*edit for link - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4378407

RhymesayersDU
08-05-2009, 07:21 AM
How much guaranteed?

tsiguy96
08-05-2009, 07:22 AM
haynesworth got slightly more, on a 4 year, 48 mill gauranteed deal...less per year but more available overall if he doesnt start sucking again without a big WR.

521 1N5
08-05-2009, 07:24 AM
How much guaranteed?

Honestly I just got a text and it didn't have the guaranteed value of the contract.

521 1N5
08-05-2009, 07:25 AM
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Eli Manning has agreed to a new six-year, $97 million contract extension with the New York Giants that will make him the highest paid player in the NFL with an average salary of roughly $15.3 million.

A person close to the talks who asked not to be identified because the deal was not signed says Manning is guaranteed $35 million under the deal which will keep him with the Giants through the 2015 season.

Manning, who led the Giants to a Super Bowl upset of the New England Patriots in February 2008 and was named the MVP of the game, was in the final year of the contract he signed as the No. 1 overall pick in 2004.

Manning took over as the Giants starter midway through his rookie season and he has led New York to the playoffs in each of the past four seasons.

Dukes
08-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Imagine the taxes he has to pay living in NY, poor bastard.

UberBroncoMan
08-05-2009, 07:44 AM

... and think even with as bad as NY's taxes are going to be on him, the Federal Taxes on his ass are gona go through the roof as well.

dbfan21
08-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Unreal! That's just crazy money...good for Eli...bad for any team on the verge of extending their franchise QB. Good thing we have Orton! :wiggle:

400HZ
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
I think Phillip Rivers will be getting pretty close to that as well. What do you guys think? Rivers is far and away the statistically superior passer, but Eli's team carried him to a Superbowl. Who gets more $$$?

Garcia Bronco
08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
... and think even with as bad as NY's taxes are going to be on him, the Federal Taxes on his ass are gona go through the roof as well.

Yeah...it amused me during the election that guys like BMarsh were all about Obama without the realization that Obama and his tax goons would be coming after them.

Garcia Bronco
08-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I think Phillip Rivers will be getting pretty close to that as well. What do you guys think? Rivers is far and away the statistically superior passer, but Eli's team carried him to a Superbowl. Who gets more $$$?

Rivers will get paid. He's just too successful.

Hotrod
08-05-2009, 08:27 AM
This is getting abit out of ****ing hand.

atomicbloke
08-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Rivers is easily better than Eli, and also one of the top 5 in the league. His deal should be well north of the $100 million mark, with guarantees near $50 million.

521 1N5
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
This is getting abit out of ****ing hand.

I agree, I'm sorry but these guys are just way too overpaid. All of them.

Miss I.
08-05-2009, 08:42 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/05/giants-eli-strike-a-long-term-deal/ Take this for what it's worth...but it says Eli is guaranteed $35 million. I can't believe he gets more then Peyton (sans endorsements of course). I mean I know he got them a ring or whatever, but really?? That seems excessive. He's not nearly as talented as some other QBs in the league. But that all important bling is probably what pushed it over for him.

BroncoSojia
08-05-2009, 08:43 AM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/5/1/0/510d5dbebc2f4a00954e687139c15993.jpg

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 08:46 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/05/giants-eli-strike-a-long-term-deal/ Take this for what it's worth...but it says Eli is guaranteed $35 million. I can't believe he gets more then Peyton (sans endorsements of course). I mean I know he got them a ring or whatever, but really?? That seems excessive. He's not nearly as talented as some other QBs in the league. But that all important bling is probably what pushed it over for him.

Exactly how I feel.

misturanderson
08-05-2009, 08:56 AM

Oh, boo hoo for him, now he'll only have $40 million to add to his bank-sized vault.

misturanderson
08-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Yeah...it amused me during the election that guys like BMarsh were all about Obama without the realization that Obama and his tax goons would be coming after them.

Maybe that's because they realize that even with 50+% taxes they're still rich as ****. Shut the **** up about politics you right-wing goons.

521 1N5
08-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Maybe that's because they realize that even with 50+% taxes they're still rich as ****. Shut the **** up about politics you right-wing goons.

wow

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I know that people are bringing up NY taxes in more of a comedic sense, but I'll bet place of business and residence certainly does have a prominent place in the contract debates these guys have with the teams. Not even talking just taxes, but cost of living alone can make a huge difference.

Think about it. $10 million in Green Bay or Kansas City certainly would go a lot further than $10 million in NYC.

rovolution
08-05-2009, 09:02 AM

Im really excited from a Broncos standpoint. The Rivers contract could hinder the franchise for years to come when it comes to resigning their own free agents. Talents like Merriman, Cromartie, and Sproles will be walking out the door.

Weve seen what the P. Manning contract has done to the Colts franchise. They practically have a new starting defense every season, but they have had outstanding coaching on that side of the ball to make up for the lack of talent outside Freeney, R. Mathis, and Sanders.

SD has not been so fortunante with their defensive coaching. We saw what happened without Merriman last season. They need their top defensive stars to win games. Merriman, L.Castillo, J. Williams, Cromartie, Jammer, S. Phillips...Too many high priced contracts on that side of the ball.

If Phillip gets his deal Merriman will never sign a long term deal with San Diego.

I hope a new CBA gets approved so the Chug get screwed by the cap.

misturanderson
08-05-2009, 09:05 AM
I know that people are bringing up NY taxes in more of a comedic sense, but I'll bet place of business and residence certainly does have a prominent place in the contract debates these guys have with the teams. Not even talking just taxes, but cost of living alone can make a huge difference.

Think about it. $10 million in Green Bay or Kansas City certainly would go a lot further than $10 million in NYC.

I honestly don't think that could possibly be the case. They still have to fit the money under the same salary cap no matter what. And regardless of where these guys live, they are ridiculously wealthy if they don't waste all of their money. On top of that, most of them don't even live where they play anyway (they have enough money to buy multiple homes) so that shouldn't factor into the decision.

Rock Chalk
08-05-2009, 09:11 AM

My pops gets subsistence checks when he works out in California.

Roughly equals about 75K more a year when he has to live out there. So you are probably right.

If I were Eli or anyone playing for any East coast team, Id just visit but wouldnt live there. My residence would probably be in Texas, since there are no state income taxes.

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 09:11 AM
And regardless of where these guys live, they are ridiculously wealthy if they don't waste all of their money.

Gross generalization based off of the top players. Most players in the NFL are not millionnaires.

On top of that, most of them don't even live where they play anyway (they have enough money to buy multiple homes) so that shouldn't factor into the decision.

Not true. See my comment above. You are generalizing based off of the vast minority of players who make the big $.

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 09:13 AM
If I were Eli or anyone playing for any East coast team, Id just visit but wouldnt live there. My residence would probably be in Texas, since there are no state income taxes.

Residence is irrelevant for purposes of the income tax. If I live in NH (which has no income tax) and work in MA, I have to pay income taxes to MA because income tax is based solely off of where you work, not where you live.

Karenin
08-05-2009, 09:15 AM

yea but young, rich black dudes would much rather have $7 million in NY than $10 million in Green Bay.

Rock Chalk
08-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Residence is irrelevant for purposes of the income tax. If I live in NH (which has no income tax) and work in MA, I have to pay income taxes to MA because income tax is based solely off of where you work, not where you live.

So they have to pay Jersey Taxes?

How does that work with the Giants and Jets who play in Jersey? Just curious.

Do the Texans players who are practiciing in Kansas City have to pay Missouri Taxes while in Kansas City? That is, afterall, where they are working at the moment.

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 09:22 AM
So they have to pay Jersey Taxes?

How does that work with the Giants and Jets who play in Jersey? Just curious.

Do the Texans players who are practiciing in Kansas City have to pay Missouri Taxes while in Kansas City? That is, afterall, where they are working at the moment.

All good questions, and honestly, I don't have a clue how they deal with it. I've heard and read different things from each sport....some going as far as having to pay taxes to each city/state in which they appear in games based off what that individual game check would technically be worth on that day.

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 09:25 AM
This is a good article that seems to address some of the questions (not the NY/NJ one however)

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/a-taxing-day-for-nfl-players.html

misturanderson
08-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Gross generalization based off of the top players. Most players in the NFL are not millionnaires.

Not true. See my comment above. You are generalizing based off of the vast minority of players who make the big $.

Even practice squad players make more money per year than an average person, in any city. I supposed the guys at the bottom of the depth charts might get a slightly higher pay rate in cities with higher cost of living, but none of that had any bearing on Eli's contract.

And most players that play for more than 4 years in the NFL would be millionaires if they invested their money wisely (the rookie minimum salary is over $280,000). I will never feel bad for anyone who gets a paycheck as a major professional sports player and I'm sure the people paying them don't feel sorry for them either.

Tombstone RJ
08-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Does Manning have to live in NY? Can't he keep his residency in another state?

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Even practice squad players make more money per year than an average person, in any city.

$85K before taxes and special NFLPA dues, agent fees, etc. that the average person is not subject to.

I supposed the guys at the bottom of the depth charts might get a slightly higher pay rate in cities with higher cost of living, but none of that had any bearing on Eli's contract.

Proof?

And most players that play for more than 4 years in the NFL would be millionaires if they invested their money wisely (the rookie minimum salary is over $280,000).

Two things on that:

1. Most NFL players don't play for more than 4 years.
2. You are ignoring taxes, NFLPA dues, agent fees, etc. that cause these guys to take home less than 50% of what they gross.

misturanderson
08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
$85K before taxes and special NFLPA dues, agent fees, etc. that the average person is not subject to.

Proof?

Two things on that:

1. Most NFL players don't play for more than 4 years.
2. You are ignoring taxes, NFLPA dues, agent fees, etc. that cause these guys to take home less than 50% of what they gross.

WHO CARES? The average salary, BEFORE TAXES, in any city is SIGNIFICANTLY less than what the rookie minimum is and the minimum goes up every year that they are in the league. They are payed ridiculously well for what they do and they can live easily in any city. I seriously doubt that the teams are going out of their way to pay these guys more than what the market value for them is.

The practice squad players also are recieving $5200 per week, so their pay for 17 weeks of work is more than the average for a normal person for a year of work in New York, LA or any other US city, before taxes. I also doubt that their NFLPA dues payments amount to much considering they don't receive fringe benefits.

broncofan7
08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Whoa! now that we have Kyle Orton--we are REALLY going to be held hostage by his contract demands!

colonelbeef
08-05-2009, 10:24 AM

yeah but he more than makes up for it in endorsements.

Giants are smart, they know how difficult it is to get a young franchise QB locked up. It's really going to hurt when the Bears do the same with Cutler

Popps
08-05-2009, 10:27 AM
yeah but he more than makes up for it in endorsements.

Giants are smart, they know how difficult it is to get a young franchise QB locked up. It's really going to hurt when the Bears do the same with Cutler

http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

broncofan7
08-05-2009, 10:35 AM

P

WOW--that's it? I am surprised.......

misturanderson
08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
WOW--that's it? I am surprised.......

That's only practice squad players and their pay was bumped to like $88500 this year. They don't get all of the benefits of roster players, so I doubt they pay as much to the NFLPA. Keep in mind thay also only work for 17 weeks per year and make that much money. If they wanted more they could get another job like most normal people.

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 10:54 AM
They are payed ridiculously well for what they do and they can live easily in any city.

The argument is changing now. I've never debated the issue of whether or not they are paid well, just whether or not they should all find themselves "ridiculously wealthy if they simply didn't waste all their money" which you originally claimed.

And good luck living "easy" in most cities in CA or NY on a practice squad or league minimum salary.

The practice squad players also are recieving $5200 per week, so their pay for 17 weeks of work is more than the average for a normal person for a year of work in New York, LA or any other US city, before taxes.

Yes, BUT they have to rely on that 17 weeks of money pretty much all year round because they are not being paid for just that 17 weeks of service. The schedule screws up their entire calendar year minus MAYBE 4 or 5 months. What good paying job is going to let them take 7+ months off to practice and train for the NFL every year? It's not like they can just go out and get a nice paying job and then quit a few months later every year no questions asked.....especially in this market.

broncofan7
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
The argument is changing now. I've never debated the issue of whether or not they are paid well, just whether or not they should all find themselves "ridiculously wealthy if they simply didn't waste all their money" which you originally claimed.

And good luck living "easy" in most cities in CA or NY on a practice squad or league minimum salary.

Yes, BUT they have to rely on that 17 weeks of money pretty much all year round because they are not being paid for just that 17 weeks of service. The schedule screws up their entire calendar year minus MAYBE 4 or 5 months. What good paying job is going to let them take 7+ months off to practice and train for the NFL every year? It's not like they can just go out and get a nice paying job and then quit a few months later every year no questions asked.....especially in this market.

UPS! Remember this guy?

http://www.sportsattic2.com/nflphotos/photos14/Parmalee,Bernie4.jpg

Seriously though--great point

misturanderson
08-05-2009, 11:14 AM
My claim about wealth was in reference to people wondering if cost of living had anything to do with Eli Manning's contract. I said that even the 7th round rookies that make the team are wealthy by any normal standard of wealth and that where they play almost certainly has no bearing on how much they make. My more important point is that teams in NY don't have a different salary cap than any other team, so there is no way the team is paying for a cost of living increase.

There is no way that you will ever convince me that a starting base salary of $280,000 right out of college, that increases by close to $100,000 every year they stay in the league, will ever be seen by the people writing the paychecks as too little money to live, IN ANY CITY. That is plenty to live in a nice assed apartment anywhere in NY, so don't pretend that league minimum is somehow a small amount of money depending on where they live/play.

On to the "poor" practice squad players. $88,000 for a person straight out of college, especially since a lot of them don't even have degrees, is ridiculous. No other profession will get you that kind of jack. What they do with that is their own problem and it will allow them to live comfortably in any NFL city. I'm sure the owners and GMs see it that way too.

BroncoMan4ever
08-05-2009, 11:15 AM

does he live in NY? the Giants are actually in New Jersey, even though they claim they are from New York

BroncoMan4ever
08-05-2009, 11:18 AM
There is no way that you will ever convince me that a starting base salary of $280,000 right out of college, that increases by close to $100,000 every year they stay in the league, will ever be seen by the people writing the paychecks as too little money to live, IN ANY CITY. That is plenty to live in a nice assed apartment anywhere in NY, so don't pretend that league minimum is somehow a small amount of money depending on where they live/play.

On to the "poor" practice squad players. $88,000 for a person straight out of college, especially since a lot of them don't even have degrees, is ridiculous. No other profession will get you that kind of jack. What they do with that is their own problem and it will allow them to live comfortably in any NFL city. I'm sure the owners and GMs see it that way too.

damn right. i am living with a BA in Biology right now, getting money set up for med school, working in a restaurant for 13.00 and hour. i'd kill someone to be making 88,000 a year just out of college.

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 11:24 AM
does he live in NY? the Giants are actually in New Jersey, even though they claim they are from New York

Might be worse. NJ has some of the highest taxes in the country.

Dukes
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
My claim about wealth was in reference to people wondering if cost of living had anything to do with Eli Manning's contract. I said that even the 7th round rookies that make the team are wealthy by any normal standard of wealth and that where they play almost certainly has no bearing on how much they make. My more important point is that teams in NY don't have a different salary cap than any other team, so there is no way the team is paying for a cost of living increase.

I'm guessing you haven't payed attention to real estate in NY

Dukes
08-05-2009, 11:29 AM

From what I've heard (don't know for sure) Jersey has a comparable tax rate as NY.

azbroncfan
08-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Eli deserves it he has been a winner. Jay C has been all hype and unable to win games at any level up past high school to this point in his career.

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 11:32 AM
From what I've heard (don't know for sure) Jersey has a comparable tax rate as NY.

The Epic Battle:

http://www.atr.org/new-york-vs-jersey-battle-higher-a3088#

misturanderson
08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm guessing you haven't payed attention to real estate in NY

Considering that the median YEARLY salary for every job other than CFO, CEO, etc., with 20+ years experience, in the state of New York is LESS than what the practice squad players make in 4 months of work, I'm pretty sure they can get by. Besides, even if they play for New York, it doesn't mean they have to live in NYC, they could live somewhere that housing isn't as expensive.

I really don't get how anyone can pretend these guys don't make plenty of money to live anywhere in the US. And when you consider how little they have to do to get that money, it becomes even more apparent that nobody, including those paying them, would have any justifiable reason to pay them more depending on where they live.

Maybe that has to do with why we have been getting the cream of the UDFA crop recently, because they know they'll get paid the same no matter where they play, but it's easier to live comfortably on $88,000-280,000 here than in a bigger market.