PDA

View Full Version : Joe Ellis Interview 8/4/09

lex
08-04-2009, 07:22 PM
http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1122225

s0phr0syne
08-04-2009, 08:04 PM
good interview, thanks for sharing!

He actually offered a lot more insight into the inner workings of the organization than I thought that he would. Good information about the coach search process and the way that McD presented his plan, as well as explaining what the thinking was behind putting McXanders in charge of the team.

rovolution
08-04-2009, 08:07 PM
good interview. Ellis stands by the fact that the Broncos did everything in their power to try to reason with Jay Cutler.

lex
08-04-2009, 08:18 PM
He was all over the place on the Cutler Affair. He tried to toe the company line but he also said there were some interpersonal issues that wont be discussed. He said there were some things Jay revealed that he shouldnt have but there really hasnt been that. Bleh.

All in all, I wonder why this guy is so front and center. It doesnt really seem normal.

I dont like this guy.

tsiguy96
08-04-2009, 08:57 PM
He was all over the place on the Cutler Affair. He tried to toe the company line but he also said there were some interpersonal issues that wont be discussed. He said there were some things Jay revealed that he shouldnt have but there really hasnt been that. Bleh.

All in all, I wonder why this guy is so front and center. It doesnt really seem normal.

I dont like this guy.

you dont like anything about bowlen, mcd, nolan, or any of the players on the team, why would we expect different here?

footstepsfrom#27
08-04-2009, 09:31 PM
"I was frustrated by the fact that we couldn't get our side of the story (on Cutler) out."

Huh? Seems to me like they got it out six ways to Sunday, including the fan letter from Bowlen, so what is he talking about?

tsiguy96
08-04-2009, 09:55 PM
"I was frustrated by the fact that we couldn't get our side of the story (on Cutler) out."

Huh? Seems to me like they got it out six ways to Sunday, including the fan letter from Bowlen, so what is he talking about?

cutler took to all sorts of media, espn jim rome etc. he won the PR war and the media was not interested a whole lot in waht was actually happening. yes it was all reported, but espn and a lot of others took to this story: broncos tried to trade cutler, failed, now he wants out anyway, when in reality they just took a call about him, he found out and wanted out, after reportedly wanting out ebfore that, now he just had his "ammo"

footstepsfrom#27
08-04-2009, 10:05 PM
cutler took to all sorts of media, espn jim rome etc. he won the PR war and the media was not interested a whole lot in waht was actually happening. yes it was all reported, but espn and a lot of others took to this story: broncos tried to trade cutler, failed, now he wants out anyway, when in reality they just took a call about him, he found out and wanted out, after reportedly wanting out ebfore that, now he just had his "ammo"
Funny...I've heard just as many media pundits speculating that it was Cutler's fault. In any case, this "we couldn't get our story out" nonsense is laughable. Bowlen's letter to the fans proves they did get it out.

If they couldn't get it out, why is most of this board convinced Cutler was the one at fault?

lex
08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Funny...I've heard just as many media pundits speculating that it was Cutler's fault. In any case, this "we couldn't get our story out" nonsense is laughable. Bowlen's letter to the fans proves they did get it out.

If they couldn't get it out, why is most of this board convinced Cutler was the one at fault?

I thought one of the more interesting tidbits in there was admitting that Josh was demanding to be the face of the franchise. That really explains a lot actually. It also confirms what Ive thought about the "team first" focus really being "its about McDaniels."

Another thread of reasoning that I found a little batty was to say they were blown away by McDaniels run down how he attacked Denvers defense. What coach who had played Denver, wouldnt be able to do that? Of course, it sounds impressive when you admit to not being bothered with the Xs and Os, as Pat has often claimed. Thats like going to a doctor and being impressed because he used medical/latin terms instead of saying your elbow or your knee. If one doctor uses the latin word for elbow, am I to assume he's more capable than the other doctor who called it an elbow and not its latin name?

Another issue that Im having a problem believing is the whole issue of trading the 1st round pick because its too expensive for Pat. It seems this is presented as a complaint about the current system, someone from the Broncos is more willing to say they traded it because it was too expensive. But when the question is presented with a different tone--one of Pat being cheap or not being able to afford the costs of doing business-- someone close to the team will say, it wasnt for economic reasons. Recently, Mark Schlereth (or maybe it was someone else) was pointing to how screwed up the current system is and mentioned that Denver traded their first because its too costly. Granted, Schlereth (or someone similar) may not be employed with the team but he is an ex-player so you could infer that perhaps he knows something.

Like I said, a lot of stuff still doesnt reconcile. It just seemed like more of the company line and having Pats back.

footstepsfrom#27
08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I thought one of the more interesting tidbits in there was admitting that Josh was demanding to be the face of the franchise. That really explains a lot actually. It also confirms what Ive thought about the "team first" focus really being "its about McDaniels."
I caught that too. Ellis was careful how he phrased it as being a team decision, but that's a bit odd considering that Bowlen originally stated AFTER hiring McDaniels that they wouldn't be making any front office changes...then he abruptly fires the Goodmans days later. It's obvious from the Ellis interview that they had this idea of hiring a GM that McD was comfortable with from the start...unless of course you buy the far fetched idea that this wasn't talked about in the beginning and Bowlen didn't find out till after he hired Josh...which I don't.
Another thread of reasoning that I found a little batty was to say they were blown away by McDaniels run down how he attacked Denvers defense. What coach who had played Denver, wouldnt be able to do that?
None of them...obviously. I'm pretty sure 90% of the posters in here could have talked about how to attack this defense. That was hardly a secret.

The team might not be happy about the market share they achieved in terms of fan buy-in for their version of the story, but that has a lot more to do with credibility issues than it does the team not being able to "get their story out." That's the kind of statement that just irritates me for some reason.

That said...camp is here and it's time to let all this stuff go and focus on how the team's doing on the field.

Hulamau
08-05-2009, 01:18 AM

Ellis is talking about the frustration BEFORE the trade and shortly after the initial Cutler melt down up, where it was all Cook/Cutler and the media and while the team was in 'no comment' mode trying to prevent the issue from blowing up bigger than it had to be ... trying to settle things behind closed doors while Cook and Cutler saw this as the prime opportunity to pry his way out of town.

Most of the board recognized that the facts of the issue were pretty clear and had enough common sense to see through the dog and pony show Cook and Cutler were spinning.

Bottom line is, regardless of how the issue supposedly started, McD and the Broncos made every effort they should have, privately and publicly with McD doing everything put donning Cutler's jersey and giving his balls a Brazilian wax job in front of the national press while insisting over and over that Cutler was our QB, in an effort to mend the fences and get Jay back in the fold.

It was Jay Cutler, and him alone, that axed his own way out of town with his immature and petulant behavior toward Pat Bowlen .. period!

lex
08-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Ellis is talking about the frustration BEFORE the trade and shortly after the initial Cutler melt down up, where it was all Cook/Cutler and the media and while the team was in 'no comment' mode trying to prevent the issue from blowing up bigger than it had to be ... trying to settle things behind closed doors while Cook and Cutler saw this as the prime opportunity to pry his way out of town.

Most of the board recognized that the facts of the issue were pretty clear and had enough common sense to see through the dog and pony show Cook and Cutler were spinning.

Bottom line is, regardless of how the issue supposedly started, McD and the Broncos made every effort they should have, privately and publicly with McD doing everything put donning Cutler's jersey and giving his balls a Brazilian wax job in front of the national press while insisting over and over that Cutler was our QB, in an effort to mend the fences and get Jay back in the fold.

It was Jay Cutler, and him alone, that axed his own way out of town with his immature and petulant behavior toward Pat Bowlen .. period!

Youre naive.

DenverBrit
08-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Youre naive.

So says the Mane's chronic whiner. Do you ever stop??

broncofan2438
08-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Screw Cutler

Inkana7
08-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Youre naive.

You're right, the Broncos' entire Organization was focused on getting rid of Jay Cutler. You're so astute.

gyldenlove
08-05-2009, 09:17 AM

So Ellis is frustrated that the team didn't get their 'no comment' comment out? It seemed obvious to me that the team was busy not saying anything at the time so I think they got that message out just fine.

I still don't get why Bowlen interfered. Every indication was that Cutler would report to minicamp and everybody would take it from there.

~Crash~
08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Joe Ellis is the person running the broncos and IMO all the big thing go though him not the owner sure bowlen can override him but most of what we see this year is Joe Ellis

~Crash~
08-05-2009, 09:30 AM
come on **** not this again ...

TonyR
08-05-2009, 09:31 AM
I still don't get why Bowlen interfered.

I think you can question whether or not he acted too rashly or correctly but I don't know that you should question why he acted. His starting QB was complaining to the press, selling his local real estate, and not communicating with the organization. Bowlen wanted to talk to his QB and Cutler wouldn't cooperate. I think it's pretty clear why he got involved.

~Crash~
08-05-2009, 09:37 AM
good interview. Ellis stands by the fact that the Broncos did everything in their power to try to reason with Jay Cutler.

They did nothing .They never wanted Cutler ! come on this is getting old 3 days before Cutler was to report wam traded....hmmmmmm:thought:

tell me this how come Marshal is still on the team we held the cards with him right, but not so with Cutler ..lol

TonyR
08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
tell me this how come Marshal is still on the team

Because he has very little trade value right now. They can't get nearly what he's potentially worth.

55CrushEm
08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
You're right, the Broncos' entire Organization was focused on getting rid of Jay Cutler. You're so astute.

LOL......rep.

gyldenlove
08-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I think you can question whether or not he acted too rashly or correctly but I don't know that you should question why he acted. His starting QB was complaining to the press, selling his local real estate, and not communicating with the organization. Bowlen wanted to talk to his QB and Cutler wouldn't cooperate. I think it's pretty clear why he got involved.

I still don't see it. Cutler said he would be there for mandatory minicamp, Mcdaniels said I will take care of this, Xanders didn't say anything. Why not leave it at that and let the football people handle the football? Bowlen wasn't involved to my knowledge in any effort to trade for Cassel, he wasn't directly involved in the early talks between Cutler and Mcdaniels.

All of a sudden he got cold feet and jumped the gun.

The questions is exactly why he acted, if you don't question why he did something you can't question the timing.

bowtown
08-05-2009, 09:48 AM
I dont like this guy.

NEWSFLASH! Lex doesn't like someone in the Bronco's organization.

Coming up at 11: Water is wet!

~Crash~
08-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Because he has very little trade value right now. They can't get nearly what he's potentially worth.

what ever that is not the point the point is simple the Broncos never wanted cutler . simple you can talk all the BS you like it is simple McD seen Cutler quit the second half of the NE game and that is the reason Cutler is a Bear .

~Crash~
08-05-2009, 10:00 AM
thing is I don't blame Jay my self this Coach does they were doing some really cheap **** to Jay and the score was out of hand I never seen a Lineman get a personal foul and the OL should of took out a Knee or broke a leg for the crap the NE patsies were pulling out on the field that day war should of been on . instead about the only player with fire in his belly was Thomas and why I now am pulling for him to be a great player !

One of the NE player was fined huge money for the cheap crap they pulled that day.

Beantown Bronco
08-05-2009, 10:03 AM
what ever that is not the point the point is simple the Broncos never wanted cutler . simple you can talk all the BS you like it is simple McD seen Cutler quit the second half of the NE game and that is the reason Cutler is a Bear .

Dude had a busted hand that game and probably shouldn't have gone back in there but he did. Not to mention the fact that the game got out of control in a hurry once Champ went down. If I was to make an argument for Cutler being a quitter, that wouldn't be the game I would cite, personally.

rastaman
08-05-2009, 10:04 AM

So Cutler left the Titanic 48 hrs before the sinking b/c he knew it was over and yet he should hated for his foresight! you and I may never know, but maybe Cutler looked into the inner soul of McD and realized he was dealing with the DEVIL!

bowtown
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
but maybe Cutler looked into the inner soul of McD and realized he was dealing with the DEVIL!

Of all the explanations and argments I've heard, this is the worst.

Hulamau
08-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Youre naive.

Coming from you, that's a compliment ... Bedankt! :flower:

Hulamau
08-06-2009, 04:50 AM
So Cutler left the Titanic 48 hrs before the sinking b/c he knew it was over and yet he should hated for his foresight! you and I may never know, but maybe Cutler looked into the inner soul of McD and realized he was dealing with the DEVIL!

Yeah that's the ticket Bevis ... Culter peered deeply within Josh's soul ... through the bottom of his twelfth Budweiser bottle of the afternoon and saw THE DEVIL!!! :thumbs:

elsid13
08-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Dude had a busted hand that game and probably shouldn't have gone back in there but he did. Not to mention the fact that the game got out of control in a hurry once Champ went down. If I was to make an argument for Cutler being a quitter, that wouldn't be the game I would cite, personally.

It funny how people seem to forgot that fact. Cutler couldn't grip the ball and his passes were all over the place because of that. The only reason Cutler was playing after the first series was due to the Ramsey injury and Pittman going down.

backup qb
08-06-2009, 05:09 AM
It funny how people seem to forgot that fact. Cutler couldn't grip the ball and his pass were all over the place because of that. The only reason Cutler was playing after the first series was due to the Ramsey injury and Pittman going down.

Good point. You gotta remember, people only remember what they want to. It was Cutler's fault they gave up 41 pts that game. Duh!?!?!?!