PDA

View Full Version : ESPN banning Twitter

Man-Goblin
08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
..for info/scoop related content.

Just got this tweet from Ric Bucher:

"RicBucher (http://twitter.com/RicBucher) The hammer just came down, tweeps: ESPN memo prohibiting tweeting info unless it serves ESPN. Kinda figured this was coming."

Apparently, employees will still be able to tweet about their daily activities, as long as they don't have to do with the world of sports. So, if you are interested in the last time Chris Berman took a shvitz, you'll be okay.

I assume other outlets will follow suit, eventually. But with more and more people clammoring for instant information straight from the source, could this be a watershed moment?

tsiguy96
08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
espn sucks.

Los Broncos
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM
While your at it, ban Golic from my TV too.

NUB
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Huh? I had ESPN on loop last night and there was a joke about how they'd never do just this.

titan
08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
bummer Schefter has some good info in his tweets

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
We're still tweeting from our show here in Dallas, no memo in-hand yet. SCREW IT!

@gac1033

DivineBronco
08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
has the world learned nothing of the internet.......i thought the napster genie taught us that these things cannot be put back in the bottle

Man-Goblin
08-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Huh? I had ESPN on loop last night and there was a joke about how they'd never do just this.

It makes sense for them to do it on the surface. Why go to their site or watch all day for an update when their talent is feeding instant information 15 times a day directly from the source?

I, myself, am new to the whole twitter thing. But I have to say I have enjoyed it quite a bit. Event A happens and there it is instantly in a 140 character or less summary. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

BMarsh615
08-04-2009, 04:32 PM

This.

I ****ing I hate ESPN.

OCBronco
08-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I wonder if this is a reaction to the whole Stinky spat with OchoCinco?

Also wonder how Schefter is going to try to get around it.

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 04:35 PM
..for info/scoop related content.

.... So, if you are interested in the last time Chris Berman took a shvitz, you'll be okay.

...?

Is Bonnie Bernstein with ESPN? I wouldn't mind hearing about her Shvit's.

footstepsfrom#27
08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
So, if you are interested in the last time Chris Berman took a shvitz, you'll be okay.
Yeah when was that?

tnedator
08-04-2009, 04:44 PM

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Not sure he is technically under contract with them, he starts on the 17th. Besides his football stuff, he's just entertaining in general with his tweets.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-04-2009, 04:51 PM
poor schef is gonna kill himself now

Greybeard
08-04-2009, 05:14 PM
This is the age of suppressing the media, isn't it?

Even the media is suppressing the media . . .

-----

CoopDawg
08-04-2009, 05:17 PM
ESPN is such a scam, they should broadcast live sports instead of just spreading gossip.

DeuceOfClub
08-04-2009, 05:41 PM
ESPN empolyees are allowed to 'tweet' about anything but Sport?
Sounds just like their TV guideline.

OCBronco
08-04-2009, 05:49 PM
ESPN is such a scam, they should broadcast live sports instead of just spreading gossip.

I stopped watching ESPN regularly right around the time that they shifted from covering sports to broadcasting "Entertainment Tonight for Sports."

titan
08-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)Have seen ESPN's new Twitter guidelines. And I now have no choice. Before I start there Aug. 17, I must check myself into Twitter rehab.

Too bad - I think espn will regret this

OBF1
08-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I do not twitter, So I could care less...I care even less about ESPN.

Northman
08-04-2009, 06:39 PM
The only thing i twitter is my wife's........nevermind

Greybeard
08-04-2009, 06:42 PM
The only thing i twitter is my wife's........nevermind

My wife's mad at me. I haven't twittered her nevermind in a while . . .

-----

Malcontent
08-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Jackasses like ochosucko ruining another thing that sucked to begin with....media relationships with athletes.

Northman
08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
My wife's mad at me. I haven't twittered her nevermind in a while . . .

-----

:rofl:

Archer81
08-04-2009, 06:58 PM
See Adam? This is why you dont leave NFL network to work for ESPN. What cost freedom?

:Broncos:

Popps
08-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Similar ruling just came out of Washington, today.

Too much free-flowing information out there, I guess.

This reminds me of the record companies trying to stop MP3s. Instead of embracing them and just selling them from the beginning, they tried to make them "illegal." Now Apple sells billions per year.

Taco John
08-04-2009, 07:13 PM
This is where Twitter's business model is. This was inevitable, and the end result is going to make Twitter millions, if not billions.

titan
08-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Here's ESPN's new policy:

http://is.gd/22Z5M

Taco John
08-04-2009, 09:21 PM
That policy is very interesting. Twitter may be the ones missing the boat here.

RhymesayersDU
08-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Eh, no biggie on my end. The only one I follow is Simmons, and he doesn't "break" sports news. In fact, besides random rumblings about old Celtic teams, I don't know that I've seen much sports stuff from him on Twitter.

Well actually there are some Sox comments. But anyways.

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 09:38 PM
That policy is very interesting. Twitter may be the ones missing the boat here.

Taco,

I think this is why your site is growing. People want Bronco info, they want their voice heard, they want to speculate and discuss.

I find twitter is too much to navigate, plus it is like calling out into the ether.

Someone needs to write an Any Rand type book on how Social Networking ****s up society and or all the John Galts out there use it to create some sort of Objective empire.

coachmastermind
08-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I bet Bowlen threatened to ban them. ;)

Garcia Bronco
08-04-2009, 10:10 PM
ESPN can't actually stop this unless they control every commincation device in the building

RhymesayersDU
08-04-2009, 10:12 PM
ESPN can't actually stop this unless they control every commincation device in the building

They could certainly reprimand/fire people who do it after they say not to.

Broncos4tw
08-04-2009, 10:12 PM
As a computer network guy, I have a good feeling this will start to become blocked for many larger businesses. It's distracting, creates traffic, and it's not like phones and text messages were not already keeping people glued to info. This is overkill, imo, at least for businesses.

Garcia Bronco
08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
They could certainly reprimand/fire people who do it after they say not to.

They have no way of knowing the person communicating out if they remain anonymous and use a personal communication device.

Garcia Bronco
08-04-2009, 10:16 PM
As a computer network guy, I have a good feeling this will start to become blocked for many larger businesses. It's distracting, creates traffic, and it's not like phones and text messages were not already keeping people glued to info. This is overkill, imo, at least for businesses.

I've already had it yanked.

RhymesayersDU
08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
They have no way of knowing the person communicating out if they remain anonymous and use a personal communication device.

Fair enough. But the problems with that is this:

All the ESPN guys use their names as their handles. RicBucher, etc.

Sure, they could create fake accounts, have handles like we do on this message board, etc. But then nobody would be following them. What's the point of Tweeting if nobody follows you? (If somebody Tweets in the woods... does it make a sound?)

Garcia Bronco
08-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Fair enough. But the problems with that is this:

All the ESPN guys use their names as their handles. RicBucher, etc.

Sure, they could create fake accounts, have handles like we do on this message board, etc. But then nobody would be following them. What's the point of Tweeting if nobody follows you? (If somebody Tweets in the woods... does it make a sound?)

If they break enough stories that way they can parlay it into a side business. But I was refering to all employees.

Taco John
08-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Taco,

I think this is why your site is growing. People want Bronco info, they want their voice heard, they want to speculate and discuss.

I find twitter is too much to navigate, plus it is like calling out into the ether.

Someone needs to write an Any Rand type book on how Social Networking ****s up society and or all the John Galts out there use it to create some sort of Objective empire.

Try reading Neil Postman... Amusing Ourselves to Death is prophetic in many ways.

Man-Goblin
08-05-2009, 06:30 AM
This is where Twitter's business model is. This was inevitable, and the end result is going to make Twitter millions, if not billions.
I tend to agree with this. I think we're going to see something similar to how services began affiliating themselves with AOL at it's apex.

Espn.Twitter.com is probably not far away.

sutoazul
08-05-2009, 09:29 AM
It's defenitly an intersting era. I think, just like at the begining when Napster changed the music industry, we are experiencing how the news-updates "right now" are changing the media outlets. I forsee that one would have to pay a fee to ESPN to follow Scheftler and Mort and those guys for an up to the minute update on new stories.
I follow those guys and is very cool how you can get a peek of what their initial thoughts are when they're in TC and talking to different NFL people. On top of that when you mention something or answer something they ask you get a direct contact with them as they usually answer back. Same thing with a few players like Ocho Cinco, Shaq, Dwight Howard, Serena Williams, Lance Armstrong, etc.

UnderArmour
08-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Good news. Adam Schefter can keep tweeting.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/3154858168