PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs sign WR Amani Toomer

521 1N5
08-04-2009, 12:12 PM
per John Clayton.

edit for link-

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4376493

Amani Toomer has signed a one-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs, according to source.

Toomer, who has played all 13 of his seasons with the New York Giants, has 668 career receptions for 9,497 yards and 54 touchdowns.

Last season, Toomer caught 48 passes for 580 yards and four touchdowns.

boltaneer
08-04-2009, 12:14 PM
So much for that youth movement...

Smiling Assassin27
08-04-2009, 12:14 PM
If he's got anything left in the tank, this is a solid signing.

Garcia Bronco
08-04-2009, 12:17 PM

Agreed

SonOfLe-loLang
08-04-2009, 12:19 PM

I assume he doesnt have much if the receiver starved giants didnt want him back...not to mention no one wanted much of him till now.

bowtown
08-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Noooooooooooooo! Great signing by the Chiefs. If he's healthy, Toomer will haunt us. Giants are idiots to let him go. He should have retired in blue.

Man-Goblin
08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/Mizstephies/tumor.jpg

Bronco Rob
08-04-2009, 12:24 PM
LOL!

The octogenarian receiver corps...

Toomer & Booker can get an A.A.R.P discount at hotels on the road....

:rofl:

crowebomber
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Any average WR is a good pickup for the Chefs.

Smiling Assassin27
08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I assume he doesnt have much if the receiver starved giants didnt want him back...not to mention no one wanted much of him till now.

Giants are going through a youth movement at WR after cutting Burress and letting Toomer sign elsewhere. Steve Smith is supposed to be the new Toomer in NY. Hixon and Tyree have some experience now as well and their #1 this year was a WR, so I guess that made Toomer expendable.

BMarsh615
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Was he the one who caught the gamewinning TD pass to break up our undefeated season back in 1998?

broncofan2438
08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Screw the Chefs

Smiling Assassin27
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Was he the one who caught the gamewinning TD pass to break up our undefeated season back in 1998?

Cursed be the name of Tito Paul...

BMarsh615
08-04-2009, 12:45 PM

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199812130nyg.htm

It was him!:chairhit:

55CrushEm
08-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Yes. He also caught the game winning TD against us in 2005 at Giants Stadium, on the way to our 13-3 season.

UberBroncoMan
08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Yes. He also caught the game winning TD against us in 2005 at Giants Stadium, on the way to our 13-3 season.

I think he also caught the TD in the game that broke our streak in 1998... quite a history that fellow has against us.

55CrushEm
08-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I think he also caught the TD in the game that broke our streak in 1998... quite a history that fellow has against us.

Yes. He also caught the game winner in 2005. :kiddingme (Deja vu)

:D

Br0nc0Buster
08-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Chiefs realize they have nothing at WR sans Bowe

Solid signing, but nothing our secondary cant handle

ZachKC
08-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Chiefs realize they have nothing at WR sans Bowe

Solid signing, but nothing our secondary cant handle

Like anyone needs a good offense with your defensive line. No secondary can handle that **** sandwich in front of them.

Northman
08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Good pickup.

Br0nc0Buster
08-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Like anyone needs a good offense with your defensive line. No secondary can handle that **** sandwich in front of them.

I find it ironic a fan of the team that just set the all time record for fewest sacks in a season would criticize another team's defensive line

Beantown Bronco
08-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm sure Champ is curled up in a ball, sucking his thumb in some corner somewhere right now.

Florida_Bronco
08-04-2009, 01:25 PM
I find it ironic a fan of the team that just set the all time record for fewest sacks in a season would criticize another team's defensive line

Well this is Zach we're talking about. He's about half a step ahead of Bobo in football knowledge but minus most of the douchebaggery.

GreatBronco16
08-04-2009, 01:25 PM

Well consider the source. Zach is one of the dumbest KC fans that post here. I mean damn, he rivals the stupidity of Boob.

WyoLaw
08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Solid pick-up.

easymobee
08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
I concur with the above mentioned irony of a chiefs fan dogging anyone elses DL after their team set a record for futility last yr, and then said team drafted a run stuffing DE at #3 overall to improve it. A run stuffing DE that was projected as a mid 1st rounder to a mid 2nd rounder ..... at #3 overall.

Flex Gunmetal
08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Sucks for him he may hit 10k in ketchup n mustard.

Bob's your Information Minister
08-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Toomer and Engram and Vrabel and Zach Thomas and Mike Brown...we are the geriatric Chiefs again.

Pontius Pirate
08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Todd Haley knows what he's doing

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Well consider the source. Zach is one of the dumbest KC fans that post here. I mean damn, he rivals the stupidity of Boob.

At least Zack is here, all that is left is Boob, Crazy, & KFCDud. I haven't seen Napskins around for a good year.

You know a rival franchise is on hard times when you can count the # of their trolls on one hand.

Beantown Bronco
08-04-2009, 03:29 PM
At least Zack is here, all that is left is Boob, Crazy, & KFCDud. I haven't seen Napskins around for a good year.

You know a rival franchise is on hard times when you can count the # of their trolls on one hand.

Nappy only seems to post in the WR+P section lately. He's still there.

bowtown
08-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Nappy only seems to post in the WR+P section lately. He's still there.

It's hard to find the time to spew worthless thoughts about football when there are so many lies to be made up about our entire country.

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
It's hard to find the time to spew worthless thoughts about football when there are so many lies to be made up about our entire country.

It is also hard to post on a rival board after going 2-14

Bronco Rob
08-04-2009, 04:33 PM
It is also hard to post on a rival board after going 2-14

6-26

Hilarious!

azbroncfan
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Chiefs wanted someone to show them what a SB ring looks like.

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Maybe they wanted a guy to cover onside kicks?

Spider
08-04-2009, 04:48 PM
i used to like Toomer , but now he is a scum sucking chief

kmartin575
08-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Receiver starved giants? Not many of them are proven but the Giants have drafted quite a few WR's in recent years and they just have no room for a young guy. With a roster of Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Ramses Barden, Sinorice Moss, and Hakeem Nicks there really wasn't room for Toomer.

It's not like anybody is expecting Toomer to put the Chiefs over the top or anything. It's a 1 year deal probably for very little money. With the addition of him and Bobby Engram I like our wide receivers more than what we had last year, even if both are really freaking old. With the increased depth hopefully it will help keep Cassel from getting killed due to no targets to throw to.

kmartin575
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM

Maybe because we actually made moves to fix our defensive line using our top 2 picks on 3-4 defensive linemen. Last I checked the Broncos have relied on signing scrub free agents and undrafted free agents to fix their defensive line.

It's gonna take more than what we have done but I prefer the moves the Chiefs have made over those the Broncos have made.

kmartin575
08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
I concur with the above mentioned irony of a chiefs fan dogging anyone elses DL after their team set a record for futility last yr, and then said team drafted a run stuffing DE at #3 overall to improve it. A run stuffing DE that was projected as a mid 1st rounder to a mid 2nd rounder ..... at #3 overall.

As opposed to drafting a DE who has what, 9 career sacks in college, in the first round to play outside linebacker. Yeah, brilliant idea.

Bronco Rob
08-04-2009, 05:30 PM
As opposed to drafting a DE who has what, 9 career sacks in college, in the first round to play outside linebacker. Yeah, brilliant idea.

Here's a REAL BRILLIANT IDEA....

Trade away a player who finished the 2008 season with 14.5 sacks. (Jared Allen)

The entire cheefs defense had 10 sacks all year long...

Jared Allen > Cheef ENTIRE defense....

PS: Try winning more than 6 games over the next two seasons.....

:welcome:

Ironlung
08-04-2009, 05:34 PM
2-14

Br0nc0Buster
08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Maybe because we actually made moves to fix our defensive line using our top 2 picks on 3-4 defensive linemen. Last I checked the Broncos have relied on signing scrub free agents and undrafted free agents to fix their defensive line.

It's gonna take more than what we have done but I prefer the moves the Chiefs have made over those the Broncos have made.

Good luck with that
for your sake lets hope your top 5 pick this year turns out better than last year's

DivineLegion
08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
This acctualy kind of sucks Toomer has a history of being a Bronco killer, he had the game winning Touchdown in 98' to end the Broncos unbeaten streak and in 2005 to snap a 5 game Broncos win streak.

Florida_Bronco
08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
This acctualy kind of sucks Toomer has a history of being a Bronco killer, he had the game winning Touchdown in 98' to end the Broncos unbeaten streak and in 2005 to snap a 5 game Broncos win streak.

I don't know that I'd call two game winning plays, almost a decade a part, to be a "Bronco Killer"

DivineLegion
08-04-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't know that I'd call two game winning plays, almost a decade a part, to be a "Bronco Killer"

What about 78 yards and two touchdowns in 01'...considering we only play them every 4 years hes been pretty notorious for performing well against the Broncos.

cutthemdown
08-04-2009, 07:34 PM
good vet to pick up.

Kaylore
08-04-2009, 07:41 PM
He's not a starter. He'll be 35 at kickoff. However he is a veteran presence that will help teach the young wideouts discipline and how to prepare. In that case a one year rental is a decent deal.

08-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Actually there's a very real chance he will be a starter if Webb, Darling or Bradley don't step it up.

Jesum crow!

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Actually there's a very real chance he will be a starter if Webb, Darling or Bradley don't step it up.

Jesum crow!

Bradley sucks and was injured his whole time in Chicago.

I don't know who Webb or Darling are, is Darling a young guy, 2nd or 3rd year?

bowtown
08-04-2009, 09:41 PM
is Darling a young guy, 2nd or 3rd year?

It's Bob's new knickname for Bobby Engram.

08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Bradley sucks and was injured his whole time in Chicago.

I don't know who Webb or Darling are, is Darling a young guy, 2nd or 3rd year?

Darling and Webb are both younger guys. Webb is probably a failed Herm draft choice. Darling showed some potential in Baltimore that may or may not have been squashed by Herm Edwards.

Engram is strictly a slot receiver.

Bradley, by the way, had a nice season for the Chiefs after they picked him up.

broncswin
08-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Darling and Webb are both younger guys. Webb is probably a failed Herm draft choice. Darling showed some potential in Baltimore that may or may not have been squashed by Herm Edwards.

Engram is strictly a slot receiver.

Bull shiat bob, Darling is that guy you keep locked in your basement for god knows what!!:welcome:

08-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Bull shiat bob, Darling is that guy you keep locked in your basement for god knows what!!:welcome:

No, I call him "darling."

This is Darling.

http://elite1p.com/images/darling2.jpg

Florida_Bronco
08-04-2009, 10:53 PM
What about 78 yards and two touchdowns in 01'...considering we only play them every 4 years hes been pretty notorious for performing well against the Broncos.

Garbage time performance. We won that game 31-20 and pretty much dominated throughout.

DarkHorse30
08-04-2009, 10:58 PM

bada bing! Chieffans trashtalking hysterical.

Broncobiv
08-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Just because the Chief's DL sucked balls last year, that doesn't mean that ours didn't, too. I mean, we can certainly give them tons of **** for having an awful DL, but we should be subject to nearly the same ridicule (I say nearly because at least we averaged 1.5 sacks/game).

KCStud
08-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Here's a REAL BRILLIANT IDEA....

Trade away a player who finished the 2008 season with 14.5 sacks. (Jared Allen)

The entire cheefs defense had 10 sacks all year long...

Jared Allen > Cheef ENTIRE defense....

PS: Try winning more than 6 games over the next two seasons.....

You do know that King Carl is the one who made that move and that he is gone right? Unlike the Broncos, KC finally has a respectable leader running the show.

Dexter
08-05-2009, 02:02 AM
You do know that King Carl is the one who made that move and that he is gone right? Unlike the Broncos, KC finally has a respectable leader running the show.

Yeah because we all know how next season is going to play out Hilarious!

You kinda have to wait until the games are played to decide who the "respectable leader" will be. Both could turn out bad or good, its hard to know at this point.:wave:

Bronco Rob
08-05-2009, 07:53 AM

Didn't the new "respectable leader" trade the best offensive player KC had left in Tony Gonzalez?

Same ole same ole...

redrage
08-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Eh,

Getting a 2nd round draft choice for a 33-year old TE is pretty good value even if it is someone like Gonzalez. Obviously, I'd like to still have him on the roster, but he was really the only player on the team with that trade potential.

My guess is that Pioli would love to stock up on draft choices so he can maneuver up and down the draft like he did with the Patriots and acquire a ton of picks. Now, not all will pan out, but you catch more fish with a net than you do with a spear.

As for adding on veterans, the guys Pioli is bringing in are deemed very professional players. They take of themselves and know how to prepare. Having that type of player peppered throughout the roster isn't a bad thing as long as you don't get carried away with it.

Mike Brown-secondary
Zach Thomas-LB
Vrabel-LB/DL
Goff-OL
Toomer/Engram--WR

They can be good models for the younger players (which KC still has plenty of) at all the positions. Outside of Gonzo, there really wasn't that on the roster last year. Waters was thought to be a locker room leader, but his actions this year have givens doubts about that.

Ultimately the failure of this team in recent years is their pitiful drafting. The only players left over from the Vermiel drafts are LJ, Derrick Johnson and Colquitt. Ick.

Karenin
08-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Maybe because we actually made moves to fix our defensive line using our top 2 picks on 3-4 defensive linemen.

lol yea, cause the chiefs have had so much success lately drafting d linemen. SIMMS & HALI & DORSEY ARZ ELITE!!@@!1

azbroncfan
08-05-2009, 10:40 AM

Now I agree that I'm not too impressed with the way the Broncos have gone about fixing the DL and Defense overall, but you as a Queef fan should know high draft picks on DL really mean nothing.

broncosteven
08-05-2009, 11:18 AM

your team went 2-14, no one had a nice season.

bowtown
08-05-2009, 11:58 AM
My guess is that Pioli would love to stock up on draft choices so he can maneuver up and down the draft like he did with the Patriots and acquire a ton of picks. Now, not all will pan out, but you catch more fish with a net than you do with a spear.

Pssst, Pioli hasn't done a very good job catching many fish in the draft the past few years. But don't tell Bob that.

kmartin575
08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Didn't the new "respectable leader" trade the best offensive player KC had left in Tony Gonzalez?

Same ole same ole...

Yeah, since it's worth holding on to a 33 year old player for a season in which we are going to suck anyways. Getting a 2nd round pick for him was a steal.

kmartin575
08-05-2009, 01:17 PM
your team went 2-14, no one had a nice season.

So Bowe's 86 reception, 1,022 yard, and 7 touchdown season was pathetic. So was Gonzalez's 96 reception, 1,058 yard, 10 touchdown season. Both were ****ing awful. Maybe if they had performed better we would have went to the playoffs. And that damned Branden Albert, how dare he give up only 4.5 sacks despite only previously starting 2 career games at left tackle. What a bum.

kmartin575
08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Now I agree that I'm not too impressed with the way the Broncos have gone about fixing the DL and Defense overall, but you as a Queef fan should know high draft picks on DL really mean nothing.

Yeah, since Carl Peterson's failures have something to do with Pioli's drafting. Pioli sure did a damn fine job drafting Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, and Richard Seymour. His track record with 3-4 defensive linemen speaks for itself.

Bronx33
08-05-2009, 02:21 PM

I agree i have always like toomer ans the good news is Cassel has two legit receivers that should make any cheaps fan rub his ding ding well if they stay healthy.

bowtown
08-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah, since Carl Peterson's failures have something to do with Pioli's drafting. Pioli sure did a damn fine job drafting Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, and Richard Seymour. His track record with 3-4 defensive linemen speaks for itself.

It helps when Bill Belichick is holding your hand. We'll see how he does now that that he has the diapers off. Same goes for our guy.

BTW, Pioloi's recent drafts have been less than stellar.

1. Laurence Maroney, RB – Injury prone/average
2. Chad Jackson, WR – Cut
3. David Thomas, TE – 270 yards, 1 TD in 3 years.
4. Garrett Mills, TE – Cut
4. Stephen Gotkowsk, K – Kicker in the 4th round is the gem of their draft
5. Ryan O’Callaghan OT – Backup
6. Jeremy Mincey, DE – Cut
6. Dan Stevenson, OG – Cut
7. Le Kevin Smith, DT – Backup
7. Willie Andrews, S – Cut

1. Brandon Merriweather, S – Good young player
4. Kareem Brown, DT - Cut
5. Clint Oldenburg, OT - Cut
6. Justin Rogers, LB – Cut
6. Mike Richards, CB – Backup
6. Justise Hairston, RB – Cut
7. Oscar Lua, LB – Cut
7. Mike Elgin, G – Cut

1. Jerod Mayo, LB – DROY
2. Terrence Wheatley – Injured for most of 2008
3. Shawn Crable, LB – Injured for all of 2008
3. Kevin O’Connell, QB – Backup
4. Jonathan Wilhite, CB – Starter
5. Matthew Slater, WR - Special Teams
6. Bo Ruud, LB - Cut

Obviously the jury is still out that 2008 class but 06 and 07 were pretty bad.

Bronx33
08-05-2009, 02:29 PM
It helps when Bill Belichick is holding your hand. We'll see how he does now that that he has the diapers off. Same goes for our guy.

BTW, Pioloi's recent drafts have been less than stellar.

1. Laurence Maroney, RB – Injury prone/average
2. Chad Jackson, WR – Cut
3. David Thomas, TE – 270 yards, 1 TD in 3 years.
4. Garrett Mills, TE – Cut
4. Stephen Gotkowsk, K – Kicker in the 4th round is the gem of their draft
5. Ryan O’Callaghan OT – Backup
6. Jeremy Mincey, DE – Cut
6. Dan Stevenson, OG – Cut
7. Le Kevin Smith, DT – Backup
7. Willie Andrews, S – Cut

1. Brandon Merriweather, S – Good young player
4. Kareem Brown, DT - Cut
5. Clint Oldenburg, OT - Cut
6. Justin Rogers, LB – Cut
6. Mike Richards, CB – Backup
6. Justise Hairston, RB – Cut
7. Oscar Lua, LB – Cut
7. Mike Elgin, G – Cut

1. Jerod Mayo, LB – DROY
2. Terrence Wheatley – Injured for most of 2008
3. Shawn Crable, LB – Injured for all of 2008
3. Kevin O’Connell, QB – Backup
4. Jonathan Wilhite, CB – Starter
5. Matthew Slater, WR - Special Teams
6. Bo Ruud, LB - Cut

Obviously the jury is still out that 2008 class but 06 and 07 were pretty bad.

Sweet! dicky Vs epic quote makes a come back.

Man-Goblin
09-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter) Chiefs cut WR Chiefs cut Amani Toomer.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Aside from Bowe, who is catching the balls in KC?

I mean, besides Bob's chin.

dbfan21
09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Aside from Bowe, who is catching the balls in KC?

I mean, besides Bob's chin.

LOL Damn that's funny!